Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > OTHER SPORTS
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

NFL 2018-19

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turkpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2018 at 2:09pm
I come on here to find out useful info about the Scarlets not American crap.

Find a separate forum.
Sponsored Links

PritchyTheScarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Young Munster 2004 - Neyland RFC Tour

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PritchyTheScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2018 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by Turkpower Turkpower wrote:

Find a separate forum.

Have you not noticed that this topic is in the 'Other Sports' section?

Grow up, fella!
Scarlets: providers of the finest rugby since 1872.

aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2018 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Green Bay Packers - since (as I understand it) the club is owned by the fans, and not a single billionaire owner. Also, in Rogers they have a truly amazing quarterback. Plus - they seem to love their cheese, as do I.
If you’re interested, Reggie Yates did a really interesting, one off BBC documentary where he headed to Green Bay and interviewed players and fans, called Reggie Yates:Touchdown USA.
It used to be on BBC iPlayer, I don’t know if it still is. One of the most interesting things is that when children are born, they’re taken to reigister for a Packers Season Ticket, in the hope they get one 20-30 years later! Demand far outstrips supply, it’s amazing really.

Thanks for that - I'll look it up one of these days!
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2018 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by PritchyTheScarlet PritchyTheScarlet wrote:

Find a separate forum.

Have you not noticed that this topic is in the 'Other Sports' section?

Grow up, fella!

Perhaps Turkpower is a ref? (Should have gone to Specsavers! LOLLOLLOL) I also note that s/he has only 64 posts... but is not averse to being rude to us veterans.
(Ivan Turgenev)
salmidach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salmidach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2018 at 2:41pm

Find a separate forum.

simple answer, don't go to the other sports and stay on scarlets general... idiot.....
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance - Terry Pratchett
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2018 at 5:48pm
Steelers.... got my terrible towel ready!

One of the top offenses in the league but a terribly leaky D! Not what you typically think of us historically. Without one of our best LBs for the season, which doesn't help. I still think (hope?) we'll win the division but it will be tougher this year and we may even end up as a wildcard. Depends how good the Ravens are as I don't think the Browns will click yet. I hope for a playoff run but suspect better all-round sides (won't..... say.... their..... name.....) will get the better of us. But if the crazy offense we've seen in the NFL in recent seasons keeps on coming we certainly can hold our own in that regards and who knows?
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2018 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

Steelers.... got my terrible towel ready!

One of the top offenses in the league but a terribly leaky D! Not what you typically think of us historically. Without one of our best LBs for the season, which doesn't help. I still think (hope?) we'll win the division but it will be tougher this year and we may even end up as a wildcard. Depends how good the Ravens are as I don't think the Browns will click yet. I hope for a playoff run but suspect better all-round sides (won't..... say.... their..... name.....) will get the better of us. But if the crazy offense we've seen in the NFL in recent seasons keeps on coming we certainly can hold our own in that regards and who knows?
No Le’Veon Bell yet, though!
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2018 at 11:01am

Green Bay Packers - since (as I understand it) the club is owned by the fans, and not a single billionaire owner. Also, in Rodgers they have a truly amazing quarterback. Plus - they seem to love their cheese, as do I.

Well, that was proved right at the weekend - Rodgers was carted off the field with a knee injury, Packers were down 20 points, Rodgers comes back and Packers win 24-23 with three TD passes! What a guy!
(Ivan Turgenev)
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2018 at 7:02pm
Not disagreeing, and Rodgers probably has the best arm of all time, but I think that owed more to how awful the Bears' secondary was not to mention how bad Kizer was. You injure Aaron, you win. Same goes for most sides' starting QBs, of course, but Rodgers is a big target based on his injury record.
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2018 at 8:44pm
Really enjoyable first week of action, continues tonight of course..
Big talking points is the Browns actually being semi competent? Is Rodgers the best QB in the league? (In my eyes yes) Is Jimmy G actually the saviour of San Fran?
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2018 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

Really enjoyable first week of action, continues tonight of course..
Big talking points is the Browns actually being semi competent? Is Rodgers the best QB in the league? (In my eyes yes) Is Jimmy G actually the saviour of San Fran?

Well... we gave them 5 turnovers and they still messed up winning so I'll hold my completely unbiased judgement until we meet them in the Burgh. Wink
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2018 at 6:59am

Not disagreeing, and Rodgers probably has the best arm of all time, but I think that owed more to how awful the Bears' secondary was not to mention how bad Kizer was. You injure Aaron, you win. Same goes for most sides' starting QBs, of course, but Rodgers is a big target based on his injury record.

I haven't seen the game, just based my comment on the press report.

As for Rogers and injuries - first, he should have been better protected by his team-mates by all accounts (my knowledge of positions is not good enough for me to say which those should be)... and is it actually the case that teams set out to deliberately injure opposing QBs (as opposed to shaking them up)? That would be morally iffy, to put it mildly.
(Ivan Turgenev)
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2018 at 7:36am

As for Rogers and injuries - first, he should have been better protected by his team-mates by all accounts (my knowledge of positions is not good enough for me to say which those should be)... and is it actually the case that teams set out to deliberately injure opposing QBs (as opposed to shaking them up)? That would be morally iffy, to put it mildly.

Yes, without a doubt, even if they don't say it. A big hit on the QB can be a game-changer due to the importance of the position. They'll get sacked maybe 5 times a game but there's contact after the pass - sometimes heavy - another 5 say. This is within the game and are legal hits but you do see roughing the passer or late hits called occasionally. Having a QB like Ben Roethlisberger who's a brick s-house is a massive benefit! Most top QBs are able to take a fair bit of damage over the season and are usually big men. It's why having a good offensive line is so important - bad teams often don't and, even though they draft good QBs, they don't last long due to being hit so much. It's also why option and rushing QBs who are very good in College don't typically do as well in the NFL or have to change their game: they simply get hit too much by bigger players.

Green Bay's offensive line is usually pretty good but what has set Rodgers apart is his movement after the pocket collapses - he is incredible for his ability to evade tackles, find time and still have a long, accurate throw even when moving to either side. I've never seen anyone like it before. 

Game highlights are youtube if you're interested? I watch them monday mornings - just search NFL week 1 and there's 10 min highlights pf each game plus BBC do their summary programme on tuesdays I think.

Edited by dr_martinov - 11 September 2018 at 7:37am
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2018 at 11:45am

Yes, without a doubt, even if they don't say it. A big hit on the QB can be a game-changer due to the importance of the position. They'll get sacked maybe 5 times a game but there's contact after the pass - sometimes heavy - another 5 say. This is within the game and are legal hits but you do see roughing the passer or late hits called occasionally. Having a QB like Ben Roethlisberger who's a brick s-house is a massive benefit! Most top QBs are able to take a fair bit of damage over the season and are usually big men. It's why having a good offensive line is so important - bad teams often don't and, even though they draft good QBs, they don't last long due to being hit so much. It's also why option and rushing QBs who are very good in College don't typically do as well in the NFL or have to change their game: they simply get hit too much by bigger players.

Green Bay's offensive line is usually pretty good but what has set Rodgers apart is his movement after the pocket collapses - he is incredible for his ability to evade tackles, find time and still have a long, accurate throw even when moving to either side. I've never seen anyone like it before. 

Game highlights are youtube if you're interested? I watch them monday mornings - just search NFL week 1 and there's 10 min highlights pf each game plus BBC do their summary programme on tuesdays I think.

Thanks for that information - I like the BBC highlights show for the presenters, who have a great repartee going - but I'll look out for youtube highlights of any games that particularly interest me in future.

I'm all in favour of big hits (in rugby or NFL) so long as they are legal - it's fine to shake up the opponent, but not to set out to injure them, IMO.

As for the advantage of size in a QB - I take your point, but it isn't everything, perhaps especially this week for Big Ben:
Roethlisberger, who threw three interceptions and lost two fumbles in a performance that was even uglier than it sounds. At times, Big Ben was basically chucking the ball up to no one. 

Of course, I know he's usually better than that!
(Ivan Turgenev)
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2018 at 5:29pm
He does have a habit of coughing it up in truth. Not a good day at the office though so I'll take the tie happily.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic