Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nick Tompkins

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 16171819>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2020 at 1:48pm
With all players fully fit Tompkins isn’t in my Wales 23 man squad. I think Foxy, Parkes, Halaholo and Watkin are ahead of him at centre for the meantime.  However he comes to us for a few years he could be a world beater. The opportunity is there. Blues have Lee lo and Halaholo so are in the same boat as us he would be bench there. 
Sponsored Links

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2020 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by Dic Penderyn Dic Penderyn wrote:

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

He’d be a great acquisition but there’s other areas we should concentrate on. We’ve got plenty of cover at centre. 
I’m sorry but we really need to prioritise a centre. It’s not been a strong point this season.

The primary reason that centre 'has not been a strong point' is Mooar's inexplicable reluctance to select Baldwin.

With you on that one Dic. Baldwin, in the absence of Fonotia, should have started all games instead of Steff who should have been playing 12 instead of Parkes. 

I don't believe that Asquith has had a fair crack of the whip either,G.P.R.

Dic I have called for Asquith to be selected ahead of Parkes for the past couple of seasons. Last season it was obvious to most apart from Pivac that he was the obvious choice. 
Dic Penderyn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2020 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by Mugwuffin Mugwuffin wrote:

He’d be a great acquisition but there’s other areas we should concentrate on. We’ve got plenty of cover at centre. 
I’m sorry but we really need to prioritise a centre. It’s not been a strong point this season.

The primary reason that centre 'has not been a strong point' is Mooar's inexplicable reluctance to select Baldwin.
Inexplicable? Based on what? That game against a terrible Bayonne second string? 

I hope he does become a quality 13, but I’ve not seen much evidence that he deserves to be starting there at the moment. 

I've seen plenty.What have you seen to suggest that Hughes is deserving of selection at 13?
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2020 at 2:37pm

Inexplicable? Based on what? That game against a terrible Bayonne second string? 

I hope he does become a quality 13, but I’ve not seen much evidence that he deserves to be starting there at the moment. 

No based on the following :-

1. He is a natural 13 having played 13 for the 20's for two seasons;
2. He is quick;
3. He is big 100 kgs + & is a decent defender.
4. Why play a natural 12 at 13 when Baldwin is available? 

Until you give these guys time in a position you are never going to know if they can make it. Add in to the four items above the fact that he had a good game in his only start in that position & you have a pretty compelling case in my view. 
diego6754 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2020 at 6:02pm

2. He is quick;

Until you give these guys time in a position you are never going to know if they can make it. Add in to the four items above the fact that he had a good game in his only start in that position & you have a pretty compelling case in my view. 
I agree GPR
Sosban bach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2020 at 7:04pm

2. He is quick;

Yep and very much yep
Once a monkey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Pull !!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Once a monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2020 at 10:22pm
Perhaps there is another reason we haven't seen him there....
#George
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2020 at 4:02am
Originally posted by Once a monkey Once a monkey wrote:

Perhaps there is another reason we haven't seen him there....

He considers 13 unlucky?
Scarlets before Wales
surfing-mtber View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfing-mtber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2020 at 10:44am
So, Nick Tompkins wanted by all the regions and Cory Hill will decide between Dragons and Blues.
Joshua24:15
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2020 at 10:55am
Originally posted by surfing-mtber surfing-mtber wrote:

So, Nick Tompkins wanted by all the regions and Cory Hill will decide between Dragons and Blues.
Suspect he will go to Cardiff. He is a big city boy and not sure he will fit with us although a number of our players live in Cardiff! All guess work really 🤔
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2020 at 11:08am
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Suspect he will go to Cardiff. He is a big city boy and not sure he will fit with us although a number of our players live in Cardiff! All guess work really 🤔
Don't think that will have any bearing at all on his decision. Also the Ospreys aren't interested.
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2020 at 11:09am

I just don’t see the relative merits across a whole host of metrics seeing us as anywhere else but the best pick.
Any offence taken on board is only a literate/cy consequence. Every attempt at humour is just that. No personal insult intended. Standards lowered for trolls.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2020 at 11:30am
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

I just don’t see the relative merits across a whole host of metrics seeing us as anywhere else but the best pick.

I heard it was a done deal to us, tbh I can see that living in a big city like Cardiff is less of culture shock if your moving  from London than if you move to Llanelli

You can commute but it is a pain in the backside especially in rush hour, I wouldn't fancy an hour plus drive every day if I had the same wages for a 10 minute drive

If I was the wru I would rather him go to a region he is a guaranteed starter, I know everyone says parkes and foxy need replacing but they both would expect to be around for 2 more years or so

Do you want your 3 best centres at the one region?

then again I suppose that way they do all get rest and rotated

Edited by RR1972 - 14 February 2020 at 11:32am
henry_winkler View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Don’t believe a word......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henry_winkler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2020 at 11:38am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

I heard it was a done deal to us, tbh I can see that living in a big city like Cardiff is less of culture shock if your moving  from London than if you move to Llanelli

You can commute but it is a pain in the backside especially in rush hour, I wouldn't fancy an hour plus drive every day if I had the same wages for a 10 minute drive

If I was the wru I would rather him go to a region he is a guaranteed starter, I know everyone says parkes and foxy need replacing but they both would expect to be around for 2 more years or so

Why should he go somewhere that he's a guaranteed starter? 
Surely his game will improve massively playing/training with the best 13 in Europe -ish. And competing with him for the staring spot.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2020 at 11:42am
Originally posted by henry_winkler henry_winkler wrote:

Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Why should he go somewhere that he's a guaranteed starter? 
Surely his game will improve massively playing/training with the best 13 in Europe -ish. And competing with him for the staring spot.

cos you learn more by playing than by training

anyhow if fit fox is a cert no matter who we sign, itll be parkes that he will look to dislodge
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2020 at 2:09pm
Halaholo and Lee-Lo are no slouches. They have tormented us the past 2 seasons. He's as likely to start with the Blues as us. Obviously he will go through traffic in the AM from Cardiff to Llanelli, but what time do the boys pack up for the day? I think the commute does play a factor but its one of a myriad of things to look at.

As an aside, I was listening to Josh Adams' interview and even though he plays for the Blues, he moved back West(ish). He now lives in Penllergaer - a village I know well. These days easy access to M4. West lads like to stay West in general. I know we have a number who have moved to Cardiff - Foxy/Cubby/Cawdor - anyone else? I have excluded non Welsh e.g. Parkes.
Scarlets before Wales
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 16171819>
  Share Topic