Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nigel Owens

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2018 at 1:07pm
Watkin's running sideways, Johnny shoots up and covers the 'legal' pass path, Watkin's hands/arms go forward, pass goes forward, try scored with Johnny out of the D-line - marginal, for sure, but enough to be picked up by a TMO, you'd have thought.

Fortunately the dodgy decisions didn't ultimately affect the result, and both coaches had issues with Nigel's rulings. Take it, move on, hope for better consistency next time. Maybe we'll get Ben Whitehouse next time (if he's escaped from Ireland).
Twitterer @ebenezer68
Sponsored Links

Freddy The Turk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Freddy The Turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2018 at 1:08pm
First time I've seen that too. Goes to pass, stops, clear forward motion from his arms on the actual pass.

The annoying thing about his performance on Saturday was He done a better job making excuses for the Osprey players than the Ospreys. He never seems to have any issues giving cards / pens to the Scarlets players and is quite dismissive and arrogant in his attitude towards us.

If we had given away 15 pens on Sat they wouldn't have got anywhere near 3 tries either, after their 2nd half meltdown they didn't deserve a bonus point either.
Serenity now. Serenity now.

Tim Opolis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2018 at 1:51pm
Have waited a while to consider my thoughts on Nige reffing us. I think everyone would agree to have had as many internationals in the middle as he has, he has to be a world class referee, yeah, most would agree. Therefore for a world class referee to have made so many glaring errors over the years at our Osprey derbies it begs the question why? A world class referee makes so many wrong calls when he's reffing the Scarlets. So does he just by chance happen to have most of his bad games when we're involved?

Too many, too often for it to be chance in my mind.

I sincerely hope he never refs us again.
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2018 at 2:17pm
I've only just seen this too.

Nigel says "Backwards off red - knocked on by Black 4"

ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2018 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

So what are you saying? I thought Nige was correct on this. 
Scarlets before Wales
redeyes View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redeyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2018 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

So what are you saying? I thought Nige was correct on this. 

Clear knock on by Bradley davies.
The stadium may change, but the dream will remain the same!

Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2018 at 2:30pm
Bradley deliberately knocked that ball on when Price passed to Patchell.  Surely a penalty.

Edited by Rob o'r Bont - 08 October 2018 at 2:30pm
That's the Scarlets, its in their DNA.
N14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2018 at 2:49pm
Yes surely its deliberate?
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2018 at 2:51pm
Got to be a penalty. This was in the 74th minute - so after all those other discretions it could even have been a yellow card - although it was in our own half.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2018 at 3:15pm
I think you have to be sympathetic to the situation here. With Luke Morgan that was a defo YC as he was anticipating the pass and blocked it. Enough on that as it has been discussed ad infinitum. However, in the case with BBBD, the Scarlets player (HP?) was on the floor and unexpectedly scooped the ball up and the big lock was moving forward and reacted. I don't see that as a cynical block. I am ok with that not being a penalty. Too many in the game as it is.
Scarlets before Wales
SAV View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SAV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2018 at 3:18pm
I am sure we got a penalty for the knock on , and we kicked to the corner .
as all the coaches left stradey , bound for nottingham , a sign on the m4 at hendy said , please can the last person close the door behind them , memories
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2018 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

I think you have to be sympathetic to the situation here. With Luke Morgan that was a defo YC as he was anticipating the pass and blocked it. Enough on that as it has been discussed ad infinitum. However, in the case with BBBD, the Scarlets player (HP?) was on the floor and unexpectedly scooped the ball up and the big lock was moving forward and reacted. I don't see that as a cynical block. I am ok with that not being a penalty. Too many in the game as it is.

Well, not a YC in itself as there was no try scoring opportunity - unlike the Morgan one, which definitely should have bee yellow. Maybe, though, it should have been a YC for the large number of offences? I think it should have been a penalty as Brad was never going to succeed in an interception.
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2018 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by SAV SAV wrote:

I am sure we got a penalty for the knock on , and we kicked to the corner .

No just a scrum. Correct call IMHO.

https://youtu.be/ZUrqrKJBtxk?t=5178
Scarlets before Wales
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2018 at 4:03pm
For me, the key thing is that it wasn't 'backwards from red', it was a pass from red to red. I guess its all in the interpretation of whether it was a pass or not.
That's the Scarlets, its in their DNA.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2018 at 4:10pm
I don't see anything in the Bradley episode. Nigel is famous for having empathy with the players & for that I applaud him. Bradley is 6' 6" in the 74th minute & pretty knackered so just a scrum.  Nigel has enough credit in the Bank to be forgiven by me for Saturdays poor display. I will however be watching him closely next time he officiates us and even more closely when its against the Ospreys. 
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2018 at 4:48pm
Personally I have been disappointed by Nigel for some time. He has a habit of making sure the game and the talking points are about him, and I have found him to be disrespectful on occasion to players when he would not tolerate the same disrespect toward him. 
For me a well reffed game makes you leave the game and forget who was reffing. My favourite refs of the last few years have been Wayne Barnes (now unfortunately retiring) and I also like young Luke Pearce in the English league.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic