Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nigel Short hands over reigns as Chairman

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nigel Short hands over reigns as Chairman
    Posted: 21 July 2020 at 1:47pm

Nigel Short is to hand over the reins as Chairman of the Scarlets after nine years in the role.

Nigel will remain an integral member of the Board, having been a driving force in strengthening the Scarlets on and off the field in recent years. He will also continue to represent the Scarlets on the Professional Rugby Board (PRB) until further notice.

Following a comprehensive search and recruitment process, Simon Muderack has been appointed Executive Chairman and is starting the process of handover with immediate effect.  

Born and bred in Five Roads, Llanelli and a product of Furnace County Primary School School and Llandovery College, a degree in Business Administration from Bath University and nine years with Accenture led Simon to a successful career in the technology sector, founding and building Tribold before integrating with Sigma Systems, then selling Sigma Systems to Hansen Technologies and taking on the CEO role for the global Hansen Communications division.         

Nigel replaced Huw Evans as Chairman in 2011 and under his tenure the Scarlets have established themselves as one of the leading sides in the Guinness PRO14; providing 11 players to the Wales squad that reached the semi-finals of the Rugby World Cup. PRO12 champions in 2016-17, Scarlets were finalists the following year when they also reached the semi-finals of the European Champions Cup.

Scarlets have also made significant strides off the field, driven by a Board committed to ensuring the club enjoys a sustainable future, while dedicated to the development of home-grown talent.

“For me, the really important part of this change is that it truly illustrates the maturity of the business we now have and the remarkable strength in depth of our Board,” said Nigel.

“Right now, the staggering and tragic impact of the pandemic continues to be a massive challenge for everyone involved in the club, together with our supporters, partners and suppliers and there is no doubt the next 18 months will be critical for the business, but it remains our belief that the next five years will bring a great deal of positive change and significant opportunity to the game we love.    

“As the structures of the sport evolve rapidly, every role in the business, especially that of Chairman, requires ever more time and energy to manage increasing complexity and ensure we take every opportunity the growing reach of the game presents. 

“As with our playing squad, the Board continually evaluates how we can improve our own performance and utilise our strengths effectively, making sure we have robust governance and succession planning across the business.

“Our review at the end of last year concluded we should now take the significant step of appointing a professional Chairman with the skillset and experience to build on the stable platform we now have and can dedicate the time to lead the Club through its next stage of growth.

“The tremendous level of interest in the role over the last six months has been both heartening and humbling, a real illustration of the affection and respect for the Club within the UK and the wider world of rugby.         

“Throughout a rigorous recruitment process, Simon has been the stand-out candidate, offering the combination of an outstanding track record of success in a highly competitive, fast-moving, global business and a deep sense of belonging as a lifelong Scarlet. The entire Board is delighted Simon has joined us and confident that we have an intensely committed and safe pair of hands to take us forward. 

“As part of the same process, we set out to strengthen the Board representation with the widest possible rugby experience and will shortly be able to confirm a further appointment that will complete the recruitment identified in our review.                 

“From a personal point of view, the change in no way diminishes my commitment to the club, but will enable me to devote more time to other duties, providing more support to rugby and particularly development.      

“Most of all, it is a great privilege to work within such a committed family of people, so deeply concerned to serve their community with pride and passion. Every member of that family, our people, players, sponsors, supporters and Board share our strong values of respect and humility and are a real inspiration to our wider community.

Reflecting on the highlights of his nine years in the role, Nigel added: “Of course, witnessing the joy of the PRO12 title was a special moment, but I am most proud of the fact that our Board has never wavered in protecting significant investment into our development structures, especially through extremely challenging times financially and even now as we grapple with a catastrophic loss of revenue due to Covid-19.   

“It is that philosophy and continuous investment that drives our sustainability and provides the pathway to enable the remarkable seam of talent our small community enjoys to realise their dreams.

“Our contribution to the game in Wales through the number of current and past Scarlets representing our national team, together with the provision of the majority of the Wales coaching group is a source of great pride for our club and community.

“It has been my greatest honour to be a custodian of a great rugby club with almost 150 years of proud history and I really look forward to our continuous evolution on and off the field, ensuring our future is even brighter than our past.”

Sponsored Links

turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2020 at 1:47pm
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
stradeyscarlet72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stradeyscarlet72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2020 at 2:13pm
He’s done a terrific job for us.  Delighted that he’s staying on the board.  Exciting times with a Scarlet fan as chairman. Really important for our development.
gorau View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gorau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2020 at 2:37pm
He's done brilliantly for us and I'm pleased he remains involved with the board. Croeso Simon.
eds
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2020 at 5:14pm
Heartfelt thanks from us all for everything done during his tenure. 

Delighted he’s staying on the Board and that will ensure the best of hangovers.

Anyone know his successor?
Any offence taken on board is only a literate/cy consequence. Every attempt at humour is just that. No personal insult intended. Standards lowered for trolls.
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2020 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Read the article.
Scarlets before Wales
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2020 at 5:46pm

Thanks very much Nigel for your fantastic efforts !!! Great  to see you  still on our superb board!!!
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2020 at 5:51pm

A bit too much of the strong stuff there Steve !!! lol
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2020 at 6:48pm
A fantastic tenure as Chairman. Simple as that for me.

I've no idea how he tolerated/absorbed the playground antics that besets Welsh rugby at virtually every turn, whilst at the same time building back our brand to being the leaders in the country.

When he took on the role in 2011 we were stripped back to the bone in terms of playing staff, PyS was struggling to meet the aspirations of just about anyone, we were one from bottom of the Pro 12, the 0/6 whipping boys in Europe, and our existence was pretty much underpinned by our amazing benefactors.

To go from there to winning the Pro 12, and an Euro SF, in just a few short years, will be his legacy.

I looked for him and the rest of the Board on that fantastic day in Dublin when we won that Pro 12, it was fitting for all the backing, time and effort he and they put in to us. He was beaming.

Great he stays on the Board, his experience will be invaluable to the incumbent.

Diolch Nigel.
John View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2020 at 7:22pm
That's exactly how I feel about his contribution to the club. Can we show him how much we appreciate his efforts? 
Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2020 at 7:23pm
Club is in really good hands 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2020 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

Read the article.
I had read the article and saw the extracts of his career.

My question really was asking if anyone knew by means of being at school, friends of the family etc etc.

Could’ve phrased it more clearly.

Edited by Eastern outpost - 21 July 2020 at 7:27pm
Any offence taken on board is only a literate/cy consequence. Every attempt at humour is just that. No personal insult intended. Standards lowered for trolls.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2020 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

A bit too much of the strong stuff there Steve !!! lol
Could've phrased AND spellchecked my post better, although the above could have followed a Penderyn product placement opportunity.

Maybe it’s a Scarlet Fever only autocorrect to turn handover into the above Wink
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2020 at 7:55pm
Nigel Short has been a brilliant chairman... good to know he'll still be on the board.

I only know Simon Muderack from what has been written in the press release - on the face of it, he sounds like a good appointment, and I'm sure we all wish him every success, coming in to the post at such a difficult time.

I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2020 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Nigel Short has been a brilliant chairman... good to know he'll still be on the board.

I only know Simon Muderack from what has been written in the press release - on the face of it, he sounds like a good appointment, and I'm sure we all wish him every success, coming in to the post at such a difficult time.

His track record would seem to indicate that he does well during transitional phases.

On the moving sands of Welsh Rugby, that sounds like great skills to possess ahead of the challenges.
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2020 at 9:25pm

Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

Read the article.
I had read the article and saw the extracts of his career.

My question really was asking if anyone knew by means of being at school, friends of the family etc etc.

Could’ve phrased it more clearly.

I see. I checked him out on LinkedIn and see he is connected to a uni friend of mine. I have not spoken to this lad in years so unsure he will respond.
Scarlets before Wales
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic