Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > RANDOM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

no parking machines Cardigan booms

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: no parking machines Cardigan booms
    Posted: 16 July 2015 at 3:17pm

Charles Bronson style Vigilantes in the mighty republic of cardigan have taken the law into their own hands and broken the 4 car parking machines in the town. business in the town centre and especially in the smaller shops has boomed UP BY BETWEEN 20% and 50% as people are parking for free.....the council afre of course hell bent on fixing the machines for £24,000...I wonder if these councillors have ever bothered to work out HOW MUCH MORE MONEY THEY WOULD RAKE IN TOO IF ALL LOCAL BUSINESSES WENT UP 20% TRADING? SOME UP BY 50% BOOM. CARDIGAN IS ABSOLUTELY BOUNCING...MORE VISITORS TO ALL THE ATTRACTIONS, THE SHOPS , THE LOVELY HARBOUR, THE HOLIDAY PARKS, THE CASTLES,MORE PROFITS, MORE TAXES, RAISE COUNCIL TAXES, RAISES RATES, MORE JOBS CREATED ETC ETC MORE WONGA FOR THE COUNCIL AND PUBLIC SERVICES TOO

if only these councillors would for a split second think outside their little boxes....rant over lol

"Traders in Welsh town see boom in sales after parking ticket machines are vandalised

All four of the ticket machines in Cardigan were vandalised last month and business leaders say this has led to a noticable rise in footfall

Traders in West Wales are enjoying an unexpected shopping boom this summer - thanks to local vandals.

Business leaders in Cardigan on the southern tip of Ceredigion have attributed a noticeable rise in footfall to broken pay and display ticket machines, affectedly meaning parking is currently free in the town centre.

A spike in business was first noticed in early June when thieves wielding crowbars targeted all four of the town’s parking machines at separate locations.

It is understood that Ceredigion County Council need to find £24,000 to repair the damage, meaning shoppers can expect at least another few weeks of free parking in Cardigan.

Rise in footfall

Speaking to the Cambrian News, Martin Radley, chairman of Cardigan Traders, said: “While we would never condone criminal activity, the fact remains that traders throughout town are reporting a rise in footfall since those machines were put out of action.

“What we have now is a level playing field.

“People who have enjoyed free parking at supermarkets like Tesco and Aldi are finding they actually prefer going to small, independent shops which offer goods of a far better quality.”

Cafe owner Jane Roche said shoppers were taking advantage of the free parking to stay longer.

“The town is much busier, with customers saying that it is really nice not to have to rush back to their cars,” she said.

Increase in trade

Keith Davies, 64, former chairman of Cardigan Traders who has run a butcher’s shop there since 1978, said business was better than it had been in years.

He said: “We’ve long campaigned for free parking, and while we don’t condone the damage to the machines, the difference it’s made is unbelievable.”

“I’ve seen trade go up by around 20% but some businesses have seen an increase of 50%, which is not only good for the traders but it helps make Cardigan a thriving place.”

The machines were charging £1.20 for an hour, rising to £2.20 for a maximum of three hours.

Ceredigion County Council said it may use an interim system and was committed to getting the machines working as soon as possible.

Edited by roy munster - 16 July 2015 at 3:21pm
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Sponsored Links

reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2015 at 3:57pm
I like it ! how about an ad?
WANTED -HIGH STREET ANGELS
To work covertly during late evenings and the early hours of the morning to heroically support me in the destruction of the towns parking machines. No need to bring tools as sledge hammers and jemmies will be supplied. However, please bring your own trainers for running in , as feet sizes do vary as do fashion needs. All applications in strict confidence.

Roy Wink
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2015 at 4:55pm
sounds good.....get a crack A team down there, get on the blower to barry welsh

The council are so programmed/brainwashed into making cheap money on the front end, when if they let the town and businesses grow theyd make big money on the back end. I have no idea who runs cardigan, plaed, tories, new labour or the monster raving loonies, frankly I don't care. Its not left or right party political nonsense, its just common sense.
Let the small businesses grow.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2015 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

sounds good.....get a crack A team down there, get on the blower to barry welsh

The council are so programmed/brainwashed into making cheap money on the front end, when if they let the town and businesses grow theyd make big money on the back end. I have no idea who runs cardigan, plaed, tories, new labour or the monster raving loonies, frankly I don't care. Its not left or right party political nonsense, its just common sense.
Let the small businesses grow.
I agree Thumbs Up
Sosban bach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2015 at 6:29pm
Lib dems I think run it. Yea goes to show pay and display ruins business. Prepare for action in other towns I say! They'll waste the 22500 as I'm sure they'll get smashed up soon after.
maldwyn View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maldwyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2015 at 10:13pm
Hey Royston they're even charging to park in Gwbert these daysShocked
Up the bum no harm done.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2015 at 6:00am
Grrrr ....and its free parking at all the retail behemoths due to gifted land from spineless councils... The late great Bernard the coracle man would be turning in his grave
maldwyn View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maldwyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2015 at 9:53pm
It's all down to Milton Friedman and his cunning plan. 
Up the bum no harm done.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2015 at 9:16pm
I'm sure the good people of cardigan can scupper milt the stilts machiavellian masterplan
scarletman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Married with Kids - Close to Bankruptcy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2015 at 8:31am
I was in Bristol the other week, & had to pay for my parking via an app. The open air Car Park near Feeder Road, was covered by ANPR on entry & exit, & I couldn't find any other means of payment within view.

The Mrs offered to pay, but didn't have any mobile data available (hmm funny that Confused) ... So now people are having their parking options restricted by whether they have a mobile phone or not!
Herman Tours ... Still the best way to travel !
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2015 at 2:42pm
Genius isn't it. Bath has more free parking but the traffic in and out of there is often a nightmare too. As with so many things the strategy is hopelessly disjointed. This lack of a national strategy is a problem in most areas relating to parking, transport, railways, roads etc

Other areas where lack of a national strategy is failing people, Reading a news story today , disabled kids in some places have to wait between 1 and 7 years for a wheelchair? Because once again theres a postcode lottery and again no national strategy. The bods will calculate how much it will cost to fund wheelchairs, but will it calculate how much it costs to NOT to supply the wheelchairs? more disabled kids with worsening health, more healthcare costs, more home schooling costs, more benefits pay outs, the worsening effects on their lives etc let alone the moral issues...

We need councils, the assembly and the Westminster bubble to have a national strategy on reviving town centres before we have no town centres.

In the meantime the Charlie bronsons of cardigan have turned their town centre around, not that anyone could ever condone breaking parking machines tut tut

Edited by roy munster - 20 July 2015 at 2:45pm
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2015 at 9:46pm
Just being devils advocate, how does the council make money by the town being busier? Do the shop owners pay more rent? The extra footfall is of no real interest to the council if they make nothing from it to be fair. Parking charges are ok as long as they are fair and to me anything more than £2 a day isn't fair.
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
lab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2015 at 1:03am
Originally posted by supertaf supertaf wrote:

Just being devils advocate, how does the council make money by the town being busier? Do the shop owners pay more rent? The extra footfall is of no real interest to the council if they make nothing from it to be fair. Parking charges are ok as long as they are fair and to me anything more than £2 a day isn't fair.
Less people coming into town businesses losing customers ending up closing shop council dont get business rates from businesses etc.
lan ar bar,S10
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2015 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by supertaf supertaf wrote:

many areas get rate relief in wales due to failing economies....sometimes it takes as much as 90% off the rates....so that's a load less money to the council.
As cardigan booms and small to medium businesses get more prosperous, the council can raise the rates, rentals, and licenses, steadily, the businesses would be more than able and happy to pay with their 20% to 50% increased sales. The council will make more on the back end than the front end. When the mafia take the skim from the vegas gamblers they don't take it all at the front door with heavy handed entrance fees....they seduce gamblers in with their fancy facilities, free peanuts and booze....then cream the profits off their losses later in the count room. its what the French call,boiling the frog slowly, don't overheat the pan or Kermit wont even climb in.

Edited by roy munster - 09 August 2015 at 2:41pm
maldwyn View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maldwyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2015 at 8:43pm
I was there yesterday and all the car parks were full and it was £3 for the day. I parked outside a house that said NO PARKING but would have parted with 3 quid if there was a spaceCry
Up the bum no harm done.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2015 at 6:08pm

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/lifestyle/fun-stuff/29-stunning-reasons-ceredigion-really-9783135

Edited by roy munster - 17 August 2015 at 4:26am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic