Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

North americans to join pro 12?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solihullscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2016 at 11:46pm
Well it's a downside for those who'd like to travel but can't cos America is thousands of miles away. I'd much rather be rocking up to Exeter, Gloucester et al. Try explaining the Pro12 to normal people it just doesn't make sense already.
#UniteAndFight against the crooked Pro12
Sponsored Links

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2016 at 8:08am
One thing that has been stated here is the lack of potential in USA. That is not correct in my opinion. World Rugby magazine are reporting the Toulon owner looking to set up a franchise in Miami. racing 92 already investing there. Rugby is one of the fastest growing college sports. The TV market is enormous 350 million. I appreciate that we all have a problem with the logistics of it all but lets not say there is no potential.

Outside of a British/Irish league it is the next best opportunity & we should grab it with both hands before someone else does. 
Dafen Boy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dafen Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2016 at 2:35am
As someone who has played Division 1 rugby in the US, albeit 30 years ago, and has financially supported a team here since 2000, the portrayal of the US as being a sleeping giant rugby market for clubs is way off the mark.

Our club won the Super League title 3 times between 2001 and 2010 and we never got 200 for a game. 
We fund raise as best we can, but we are lucky to get 25-50 unaffiliated people for a game today.  The college game gets bigger, but nobody pays to watch that. The idea of Pro 12 expansion here is a bit bizarre to be honest.

We have the same club vs country issues, and when the new regional set ups for 2016 were announced, which was done by the Governing Body without consultation to existing Senior clubs, ( sound familiar), it cost us our 5 best players and coach for no cash return.  We would have had a whip round to pay for Nigel Melville's ticket home.

This is a non starter, as much as I would like to see it.
minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2017 at 8:53am
So this is rearing it's ugly head again. Personally, I can't see how this is the way forward for anyone involved:- http://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby-union/guinness-pro12/pro12-aims-to-go-west-in-american-expansion-1-4370290

Quote Two new additional teams would extend the Pro12 to 14 clubs and there are plans to split those 14 teams into two leagues, let’s call them A and B. Every team in the A League plays every other team in the A League twice each season, home and away, for 12 games. In addition they would play every team in the B League but only once, home or away, for an additional six matches. The teams in the B League obviously do the opposite. The regular season would consist of 18 games, four fewer than the current model.

Speculating here but each union will want their teams in the same conference because you'll want to keep the derbies as home and away fixtures. Therefore we'll see our 4 teams in one conference with the Irish teams in the other. You'll then have a situation where we'd either be getting the Scots or Italians in our conference meaning each conference has one of the two new teams in it.

Say we end up with the Italians (as we all know the Pro12 is run for the Irish, by the Irish and they'll want the Scots) and "Toronto", how are we going to attract new supporters with such dross opposition?
solihullscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solihullscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2017 at 9:35am
Or worse an East/West split (look at a map with grid lines).
#UniteAndFight against the crooked Pro12
totallybiasedscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote totallybiasedscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2017 at 10:39am
TBH we'd be better off dropping the Italian sides and using the down time to avoid matches on interational weekends. As a Celtic league we're pretty strong in rugby terms. We just have to accept the financials mean the unions have a big part to play. I'd much rather we got some stability off the pitch and worked on making the product on it much better.
I've seen the truth ... and I don't understand it!
minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2017 at 12:32pm
And now Germany and Georgia want in on the action:- https://twitter.com/TonduTurk/status/833653920564203521

We'll be going from the Pro12 to the Semi-Pro16 but 2020 it seems...

Edited by minded - 20 February 2017 at 12:46pm
Tim Opolis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2017 at 1:36pm
The Scarlets will never play in the States. Trump doesn't allow Turks in. Embarrassed
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2017 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by minded minded wrote:

So this is rearing it's ugly head again. Personally, I can't see how this is the way forward for anyone involved:- http://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby-union/guinness-pro12/pro12-aims-to-go-west-in-american-expansion-1-4370290

Quote Two new additional teams would extend the Pro12 to 14 clubs and there are plans to split those 14 teams into two leagues, let’s call them A and B. Every team in the A League plays every other team in the A League twice each season, home and away, for 12 games. In addition they would play every team in the B League but only once, home or away, for an additional six matches. The teams in the B League obviously do the opposite. The regular season would consist of 18 games, four fewer than the current model.

Speculating here but each union will want their teams in the same conference because you'll want to keep the derbies as home and away fixtures. Therefore we'll see our 4 teams in one conference with the Irish teams in the other. You'll then have a situation where we'd either be getting the Scots or Italians in our conference meaning each conference has one of the two new teams in it.

Say we end up with the Italians (as we all know the Pro12 is run for the Irish, by the Irish and they'll want the Scots) and "Toronto", how are we going to attract new supporters with such dross opposition?

How do they decide which team in conference b we don't play? And is that team the same for all other teams in our conference?

minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2017 at 1:53pm
Think maybe they've got the numbers wrong and it would be 19 games in regular season? 12 within conference and then 7 games either home or away? It won't be fair either way because in my scenario you'd want more Irish home fixtures and less Scots because we tend to win up there more often.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2017 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by Tim Opolis Tim Opolis wrote:

The Scarlets will never play in the States. Trump doesn't allow Turks in. Embarrassed
nice one
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2017 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by minded minded wrote:

Think maybe they've got the numbers wrong and it would be 19 games in regular season? 12 within conference and then 7 games either home or away? It won't be fair either way because in my scenario you'd want more Irish home fixtures and less Scots because we tend to win up there more often.

They must be wrong or we won't be playing all the teams in conference B, which is a bit ridiculous.

Not as ridiculous as playing German teams, but ridiculous nonetheless.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote totallybiasedscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2017 at 9:35pm
It would be no bad thing for the Italians to team up with the Germans, Georgians, Romanians etc in a league of their own. Like I said earlier, we need to work on getting the Celtic league right.
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2017 at 10:22pm
Germany are very poor at rugby, but why pray tell?
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote totallybiasedscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2017 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Germany are very poor at rugby, but why pray tell?

My old man told me about a German team he watched once. He said they played rugby like they made cars - efficiently! They had good patterns he reckoned but very little creativity. Now that may be a cliche but we are going back about 50 years here Smile
Formerly Pemberton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Formerly Pemberton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2017 at 6:43am
The German national team is doing well in the second tier competition they beat Romania the other week.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
  Share Topic