Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pick your Welsh team for the wallabies?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pick your Welsh team for the wallabies?
    Posted: 05 November 2018 at 4:11pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/46096548

Will patchell, Biggar, Sanjay, steff evs, samson, seb davies, Owen Watkin, come back into the frame? 
Who else? Also what happened to Josh adams? 

Im guessing

Hapenny
Sanjay
Foxy
parkes
george
anscombe
cawdor
moriarty
tipuric
lydiate
awj
hill
samson
ken
rob
reps
wyn jones
dee
lewis
ball
ellis jenkins
t williams
patchell
steff evans

For me the squad looks a bit short in the back row , also cover at 9 and lock is a bit sketchy...missing seb davies, faletau, aaron shingler, cubby, rhys webb, scott williams ...But this is a chance for tomos williams, Beard, ellis jenkins,owen watkin to stake a claim.. also jake ball and lydiate to come back. 
I would select patchell over biggar as bench cover here. anscombe deserves another go, we know what biggar can and cant do...we need to attack the wallabies and pathcell could be the man with that plan
Elewehere plenty of firepower on the wings, foxy looks sharp, as does cawdor and anscombe...parkes due a big game, happenny went ok depth has grown in the front row...moriarty and tipuric looked sharp , 2 dynamic flankers who can give aussies some headaches
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Sponsored Links

aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2018 at 2:11pm
OK, I'll play:

15 Halfpenny ( was excellent v Scotland)
14 North
13 Foxy
12 Parkes (not at his best, but still probably better than the alternatives)
11 Liam
10 either Biggar (kicking game) or - my preferred option - Patch (running game, and if passed fit)

FWIW, even though Anscombe did OK for 50min v the Scots, he was downright poor in the last 30 and did not do enough to keep the shirt. If he's going to play like Biggar off his game, why not pick the real thing?

9 Cawdor (so energetic in defence - much overlooked contribution)

8 Moriarty (if fit - reckon he had a stinger)
7 Tipuric
6 Lydiate (did very well on his recall, and shows some promise as a jackaler)
5 Hill (did OK, and Jake probably is not fit enough yet)
4 AWJ
3 Lewis (did very well - Samson may not be 100%)
2 Ken
1 Rob Evans

subs:

16 Dee or Elias
17 Smith (did OK, Wyn had an injury not long ago)
18 Samson (if fit) or Francis (if not)
19 Beard (needs to be allowed to develop - v good in the summer)
20 Ellis Jenkins
21 Tomos Williams
22 Anscombe (to cover 10 and 15)
23 Steff or Adams
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2018 at 2:46pm
Samson is unavailable.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2018 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Samson is unavailable.

OK, I'd start Lewis (who did very well v Scotland, and in the summer), with Francis on the bench.
(Ivan Turgenev)
kcreg View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2018 at 9:45pm
on the subject of wales v Australia,i have 1 ticket for sale ,£25,for Saturdays game.dm if interested.cheers.
I WAS THERE-LIBERTY STADIUM 11/9/07 & 26/3/16

OSPREYS 9-SCARLETS 14!
OSPEYS 16-SCARLETS 25!
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2018 at 11:42pm
As usual the biggest weakness is cover at 8...we dont appear to have any. Pretty worrying just a year from the world cup 
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2018 at 9:29am
I'd think twice before picking Lydiate against the Wallabies  who will have Pocock and Hooper to compete against at the breakdown. Perhaps Elis Jenkins would give us a better chance of competing.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2018 at 9:36am
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

I'd think twice before picking Lydiate against the Wallabies  who will have Pocock and Hooper to compete against at the breakdown. Perhaps Elis Jenkins would give us a better chance of competing.

Not much in it... EJ is just back from injury, and Lydiate was top tackler and pretty physical v Scotland, which is why I'd stick with him as a starter.
(Ivan Turgenev)
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2018 at 1:57pm
yeah Id stick with lydiate atm ...if moriarty gets injured who plays 8
hoppy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoppy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2018 at 10:55pm
Western mail reckon three changes in the team to be announced tomorrow
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2018 at 7:29am
Rob, biggar, liam
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2018 at 7:38am
Gatland has long standing form for dis-regarding players that could not join the camp from Day 1...to be precise with that, that's when there are credible alternatives of course.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2018 at 8:48am
is patch available for selection
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2018 at 9:04am
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

is patch available for selection
No
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2018 at 9:49am
Word is that Adams gets in ahead of Liam. I think Liam's defensive frailties are catching up with him. Both Dillon Lewis and Beard are excellent long term prospects and could be given plenty of minutes this Autumn. The Lydiate/Jenkins call is interesting. Horses for courses I would go with Jenkins to combat Hooper/Pocock.

Both Rhys and Samson are being given more time to recover so I would stick with Anscombe & Lewis to start. Personally I would start Watkins ahead of Parkes. My team :-

Leigh, Adams, Foxy, Watkins, George, Anscombe, Cawdor
Rob, Ken, Dillon, Beard, AWJ, Jenkins, Tips, Moriarty.

Bench : Wyn, Dee, Francis, Jake, Lydiate, Tomos, Biggar, Liam.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2018 at 12:09pm
watkin must be close hes looked pretty good in the games ive seen him
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic