Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pity poor England...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pity poor England...
    Posted: 23 January 2018 at 4:43pm
their players are knackered, according to 'sensible' Matt Dawson:

"It's game after game after game. Domestically the standard is so superbly high, then they go into Europe - the games are back to back - then all of a sudden they are into the Six Nations."

... which is why they only got one team into the RCC quarters, as 8th seed, presumably.

My God, I feel sorry for these Englishmen!
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
Sponsored Links

greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2018 at 4:47pm
Aye but the pay aint half bad. 😂
Keep the faith
Gwyn Morgan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gwyn Morgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2018 at 7:47pm
We heard these arguments during the ERC shake up "Its not fair, Pro12 clubs are looking after their players! They get rest during the season, gives them an advantage"
(I am paraphrasing)
To even things up their response was to impose qualification based on league places. "That way all teams will be equally bashed up. Great"

How many AP sides would have got through if they were building a squad with our budget?

Just more excuses.

Edited by Gwyn Morgan - 24 January 2018 at 12:29am
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2018 at 12:18am
They can’t have it all. They can’t complain of being tired and the layout of the season, it’s the same for every nation in the northern hemisphere. All the pro14 and top14 teams have to qualify for Europe and go straight from one tournament to another and the pro 14 teams also have to do so on almost half the budgets of the AP teams.
All international players get fatigued during the course of a season, it’s just how you manage it is key. I suppose because of the large sums of money that some of the English players earn with their clubs, those clubs are less inclined to rest them as much as maybe a pro 14 club might.
Sosban bach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2018 at 3:07am
Maybe they should stop playing their big boys in the awc that would free up some time for them.
NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2018 at 12:53pm
The vastly superior budgets in the Premiership, and the fact that they lose far fewer players during the Test windows (yesterday I saw a Sarries fan complaining that they'll be without 5 players for the 6 Nations LOL), mean that they have far greater squad depth than any other teams in Europe, including many high-quality overseas players.

If they can't manage their resources properly, perhaps they shouldn't be allowed them. Wink

Twitterer @ebenezer68
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2018 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by NobbySosban NobbySosban wrote:

The vastly superior budgets in the Premiership, and the fact that they lose far fewer players during the Test windows (yesterday I saw a Sarries fan complaining that they'll be without 5 players for the 6 Nations LOL), mean that they have far greater squad depth than any other teams in Europe, including many high-quality overseas players.

If they can't manage their resources properly, perhaps they shouldn't be allowed them. Wink

Don't think Saracens are too concerned about managing resources - they just keep cranking up the over draft until someone tells them to stop. Farrell's on a reported £750k pa closely followed by Itoje & the Vunipolas. I have never seen it as a sustainable model but what do I know?
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2018 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

. I have never seen it as a sustainable model but what do I know?

To be honest, I have never seen how rugby union is sustainable at all. Approximately 5 out of 50 pro teams in Europe make a profit. Scarlets aren't one of that 5. (Toulon are though)

Professional sport the world over relies on wealthy backers whether it be Pro14, Aviva Premiership, NFL or prem league soccer.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2018 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

To be honest, I have never seen how rugby union is sustainable at all. Approximately 5 out of 50 pro teams in Europe make a profit. Scarlets aren't one of that 5. (Toulon are though)

Professional sport the world over relies on wealthy backers whether it be Pro14, Aviva Premiership, NFL or prem league soccer.

I take your point - I guess its just a matter of degree. We certainly couldn't rack up £5 million plus losses every year as Saracens seem to. The Wasps model seems a little different. 
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2018 at 2:04pm

I take your point - I guess its just a matter of degree. We certainly couldn't rack up £5 million plus losses every year as Saracens seem to. The Wasps model seems a little different. 

What is the acceptable level of debts /losses then? And who decides this? £500k? £1m? £3m?

'Sustainability' is very much a redundant word when it comes to professional sport in my opinion.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2018 at 3:33pm

What is the acceptable level of debts /losses then? And who decides this? £500k? £1m? £3m?

'Sustainability' is very much a redundant word when it comes to professional sport in my opinion.

Don't they have some sort of 'fair play' model in soccer nowadays, whereby if clubs overspend too drastically they have a transfer ban imposed on them?

I don't think it's very effective, but it might be worth considering in rugby, as being better than nothing.
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2018 at 11:16am
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Don't they have some sort of 'fair play' model in soccer nowadays, whereby if clubs overspend too drastically they have a transfer ban imposed on them?
I don't think it's very effective, but it might be worth considering in rugby, as being better than nothing.

I'm not sure Paris St Germain are adhering to it if they do.

Again, it comes down to the definition of "overspending".
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic