Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pivac not happy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2017 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by ScarletSpiderman ScarletSpiderman wrote:

Originally posted by sospanman sospanman wrote:

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Welcome back RR1972 haven't seen you on here for a while. Back with a vengeance I seeWink. I can see Aled being a little peeved at the amount of gametime he has had over the past few seasons so in all honesty he was destined for the Ospreys once Rhys left for Toulon. 

Apparently a new scrum half is a done deal so must wait & see. This coaching group seem to have a very good understanding of what is required to make our squad stronger. Our starting 23 next year will probably be no stronger than this years but below that......? Well we shall soon know. 
At least we no know that it isn't Lloyd Williams

Brendon Leonard has been mentioned
Rather have Mike P back

Edited by supertaf - 07 December 2017 at 1:58pm
Scarlets - Pro 12 Champions 2017
Sponsored Links

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2017 at 1:59pm
What is Leonard's status. He's played fro the AB's hasn't he so he would be a NWQ. Feels like a waste of a slot if thats the case. 
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2017 at 1:59pm

Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Can't disagree with much of that except maybe Scott's situation. I refer back to the semi & final last year when Scott was selected over Hadleigh. I would not say that Scott was a bench player for us. During a season there are more than enough games for three quality centres particularly with Foxy's games being limited. 

All indeed have been model pros - its just that Scott's decision seems, on the face of it, somewhat baffling. No doubt time will reveal the missing pieces.

True,

do you think if not for the 60 cap rule he would have moved to England / france instead?

I don't know with Scott. I would have thought he could get a lot more money in England/France. I will certainly miss him playing for us - he has that ability to change a game with some wonderful skill & his support lines are something else. Has signed a 3 year deal so that suggests moving away from Wales is not a priority as he will be over the 60 caps within the next two years no doubt. Fonotia is a different sort of player who excelled at Super Rugby but has struggled with the Ospreys. It will be interesting to see how he goes next season. 

Fonotina is a mixed bag imo, he is big strong and can break tackles.

However he has hands like feet and appears to be a bit of a revolving door in defence (not what you expect from an ex crusader and a samoan international)

Will give us a physical presence in the back line but not sure he is suited to our off loading game.

But Pivac knows him well and rates him that's enough for me

My first reaction was the same - I see him as a bit of a liability defensively. However those on here who saw him play for the Crusaders rate him highly as, so it seems, does Pivac. Time will tell - he'll have to go some to be as good a player for us as Scott.

He was impressive when in NZ so hopefully we can get him back on track.
Scarlets - Pro 12 Champions 2017
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2017 at 2:09pm
Reading between the lines , it looks as if we wanted to sign both Seb Davies and Lloyd Williams. We probably  talked to both and made offers. but they had the decency to go back to the Blues and had increased offers before re-signing for them, declaring their undying love for their region and their coaches- (the Head Coach, himself leaving, he says,  because his budget was insufficient to create a decent squad) 
I don't think its unreasonable for Pivac  to complain if a couple of our players didn't even have the courtesy to do this- were they afraid to face our disappointed coaches?. Even more annoying was their silly excuses regarding the wonderful Ospreys coaching and game plan. A simple "I'm doing it for the money" would be more honest and credible.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2017 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

Reading between the lines , it looks as if we wanted to sign both Seb Davies and Lloyd Williams. We probably  talked to both and made offers. but they had the decency to go back to the Blues and had increased offers before re-signing for them, declaring their undying love for their region and their coaches- (the Head Coach, himself leaving, he says,  because his budget was insufficient to create a decent squad) 
I don't think its unreasonable for Pivac  to complain if a couple of our players didn't even have the courtesy to do this- were they afraid to face our disappointed coaches?. Even more annoying was their silly excuses regarding the wonderful Ospreys coaching and game plan. A simple "I'm doing it for the money" would be more honest and credible.

Ah but Ffidel the Ospreys, as well as the Dragons, are selling the dream. My money is that  players are joining the Ospreys & Dragons for money full stop. They cannot possibly be signing for the opportunity to win silverware because if that was the case there is only one region who have a chance this season and probably only one region will be in the Champions Cup next season. I discount the 2nd tier European competition.

To be fair on Aled, Barclay & Beirne they have other non financial reasons which are obvious. Scott's switch is the one most of us have trouble with. It may well be as simple as the money on offer. However things can change round quickly in pro sport but if I was a player aspiring to get better, aspiring to play for Wales & aspiring to play open, intelligent, offloading rugby I would certainly commit myself to the Scarlets for the next 2 years given the choice. 
tannerbankboy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tannerbankboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2017 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by supertaf supertaf wrote:

Welcome back RR1972 haven't seen you on here for a while. Back with a vengeance I seeWink. I can see Aled being a little peeved at the amount of gametime he has had over the past few seasons so in all honesty he was destined for the Ospreys once Rhys left for Toulon. 

Apparently a new scrum half is a done deal so must wait & see. This coaching group seem to have a very good understanding of what is required to make our squad stronger. Our starting 23 next year will probably be no stronger than this years but below that......? Well we shall soon know. 

Rather have Mike P back
Liam Davies, another one available.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2017 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by tannerbankboy tannerbankboy wrote:

Originally posted by supertaf supertaf wrote:

Rather have Mike P back
Liam Davies, another one available.

Pardon my ignorance Tannerbankboy don't know anything about Liam. Please enlighten me. 
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2017 at 4:02pm
I think Liam has more or less finished I saw him either last season, or the end of the season before playing for Llangennech, he was not that impressive, and has put on quite a few pounds.

Certainly not playing with them this season, and when asked where he was no one knew (those I asked any way)
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
PearlJam View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
IT skilled man of detail

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PearlJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2017 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by Dai38 Dai38 wrote:

I think Liam has more or less finished I saw him either last season, or the end of the season before playing for Llangennech, he was not that impressive, and has put on quite a few pounds.

Certainly not playing with them this season, and when asked where he was no one knew (those I asked any way)

It was a long time ago now, but he really shouldn't have left us. I mean, he was understudy to Dwayne Peel and left at the same time as Peel, which I can imagine was for stupid money with Brive, but still. He's only 31 but he seems to have been effectively out of the game since he left the Ospreys in 2010.

If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose.
thommo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thommo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2017 at 5:14pm
He also threatened to fill in Rap Colombo.
Freddy The Turk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freddy The Turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2017 at 5:21pm
Sounds like a few on here are hanging to start the Pivac out chants again
Serenity now. Serenity now.

Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2017 at 6:16pm
When Liam was with the Ospreys he was very friendly with Jerry Collins, and they were often out in Llanelli on a Sat night.
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
Huwbach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huwbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2017 at 7:09pm
Liam Davies?! Top sh@gger? Are you serious? This is 2017 mun! Who next? Ciaran Thomas?!?

All this inter club switching is crap IMO I'd rather get some fresh blood in at 9 or let the local boy come good. If Ioan Nicholas can why can't the 9?
s.pimpernel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
A.F.K.A.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s.pimpernel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2017 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by Freddy The Turk Freddy The Turk wrote:

Sounds like a few on here are hanging to start the Pivac out chants again

Very much so.
In Pivac we trust
Sosban89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2017 at 8:41pm

=
Originally posted by Huwbach Huwbach wrote:

Liam Davies?! Top sh@gger? Are you serious? This is 2017 mun! Who next? Ciaran Thomas?!?

All this inter club switching is crap IMO I'd rather get some fresh blood in at 9 or let the local boy come good. If Ioan Nicholas can why can't the 9?

Because the young 9 is also injured :)
PearlJam View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
IT skilled man of detail

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PearlJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2017 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by thommo thommo wrote:

He also threatened to fill in Rap Colombo.

That's fair game, though.
If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
  Share Topic