Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Please sir I want some mooar.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by Rob Hunt Rob Hunt wrote:

Originally posted by Dic Penderyn Dic Penderyn wrote:

'Legend'-'A story sometimes regarded as true but not authenticated'-I'll go along with that.Dee-all-can-vow-er,Brad.
I would think that Brad has spent more time in Wales and has certainly made a greater effort to involve himself with the Welsh language and culture than the Greek/ German/Scot who is allegedly the Prince of Wales.

I've heard it all now..'Step aside ,Charles the Pretender,and relinquish thy Principality!Brad of the Sweet Tongue lays claim to that which is rightly his'
Sponsored Links

henry_winkler View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Don’t believe a word......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henry_winkler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 11:36pm
The moniker "legend" gets banded about way to easily.

We're talking about a guy who committed to us and then reneged on his deal. 
Unfortunately
due to unforeseen circumstances went on to only coach for half a season and with mixed results at that. 

Instead of pushing players like Corey Baldwin on, he didn't pick or picked him out of position and he ends up leaving us.

To add to the legend debate, people on here look down their noses at the likes of Mark Jones who was Scarlet through and through, got a very mediocre team in to the play offs and brought a lot of players through, nobody rushing to call him a legend.

Mooar seems like a nice guy and I wish him well but I can't class him as a Scarlets legend.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by henry_winkler henry_winkler wrote:

Unfortunately
due to unforeseen circumstances went on to only coach for half a season and with mixed results at that. 

Instead of pushing players like Corey Baldwin on, he didn't pick or picked him out of position and he ends up leaving us.

To add to the legend debate, people on here look down their noses at the likes of Mark Jones who was Scarlet through and through, got a very mediocre team in to the play offs and brought a lot of players through, nobody rushing to call him a legend.

Mooar seems like a nice guy and I wish him well but I can't class him as a Scarlets legend.

We wish him well but as you rather bluntly  say,essentially he  repudiated his contract for an obviously better deal FOR HIM which is understandable FOR HIM but doesn’t help the Scarlets ( US) at all . Good luck to a charming, entertaining and talented short term coach of undoubted talent who is understandably looking after his career, but we don’t need to get too wrapped up in the wailing ,sentiment and machinations of his parting -good luck to Brad ( many don’t blame his decision to leave so soon after joining us  ) and we move on .... the Kiwi King is dead and long live King Richard 😉Onwards and upwards! The Scarlets is more than just one coach.He is not a legend.

Edited by reesytheexile - 16 May 2020 at 12:33am
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2020 at 6:21am
Originally posted by Dic Penderyn Dic Penderyn wrote:

'Legend'-'A story sometimes regarded as true but not authenticated'-I'll go along with that.Dee-all-can-vow-er,Brad.
Wow! the criteria for being a scarlets legend have certainly dropped.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2020 at 7:23am
Talk of him being a legend is embarrassing for me and dare I say it for Brad himself. Benny, Grav, Delme and Gareth Jenkins - now they are legends. Lets never forget that.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2020 at 10:00am

Unfortunately

I've already said about the word legend being bandied about,both yourself and dic penderyn especially are quite critical of moar because he didn't pick baldwin at centre so would that make rob baxter a bad coach if he doesn't pick the as yet not fully proven corey baldwin at centre?and given the fact that everyone knew before xmas that brad was off if baldwin was that special would it not have been better to stay and prove moar wrong in not picking him at centre?i would suggest that barring injuries at Exeter corey will spend a lot more time training than playing.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2020 at 10:12am
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Unfortunately

I've already said about the word legend being bandied about,both yourself and dic penderyn especially are quite critical of moar because he didn't pick baldwin at centre so would that make rob baxter a bad coach if he doesn't pick the as yet not fully proven corey baldwin at centre?and given the fact that everyone knew before xmas that brad was off if baldwin was that special would it not have been better to stay and prove moar wrong in not picking him at centre?i would suggest that barring injuries at Exeter corey will spend a lot more time training than playing.

You have to put the decision not to play Corey at 13 into context though Nige. If Foxy or indeed Fonotia had played most games then I, certainly, would have had no complaints. But that is not the case so the decision was a little baffling for some of us supporters.

As for the Exeter move I have already stated that initially it was down to the size of the offer on the table. Corey will have a tough time getting into the Exeter 1st team & certainly I would expect Slade to be chosen ahead of him. However if the Scarlets had offered Corey what he was offered by Exeter ( which they did eventually) perhaps he would have stayed. From Corey's point however the move should be viewed as exciting - he is part of a top squad, challenging on two fronts, excellent coaching & he is also dual qualified. Now it is up to him. For me he is the best centre prospect to come through our academy ranks since Foxy & Scott which explains my sadness at seeing him go. 

Thats life so now I will keep a good eye on young Osian & Joe Roberts who have a lot of good qualities. Nothing would give me more satisfaction than to see Osian at 12 & Corey at 13 for Wales at France 2023.
stradeyscarlet72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stradeyscarlet72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2020 at 10:21am
Re Corey - correct me if I’m incorrect but allegedly Corey agreed terms with Exeter before coming back to the scarlets ? 
Real shame that he’s gone - nows the time to bring in strength and quality
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 7:27am
Originally posted by stradeyscarlet72 stradeyscarlet72 wrote:

Re Corey - correct me if I’m incorrect but allegedly Corey agreed terms with Exeter before coming back to the scarlets ? 

I cannot comment accurately on a timeline but I can say with some accuracy that he was offered an initial contract by the Scarlets which was lower than the one that was offered by Exeter. 
crj89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crj89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

I cannot comment accurately on a timeline but I can say with some accuracy that he was offered an initial contract by the Scarlets which was lower than the one that was offered by Exeter. 

The scenario with Baldwin is just like any other player then, offered a renewal, offered more elsewhere then we decided to match it, don’t see anything wrong with what has happened in dealing with Baldwin if the timeline is correct, Baldwin decided to go to Exeter, only time will tell if that is a good choice or not.

Edited by crj89 - 17 May 2020 at 12:48pm
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by crj89 crj89 wrote:

The scenario with Baldwin is just like any other player then, offered a renewal, offered more elsewhere then we decided to match it, don’t see anything wrong with what has happened in dealing with Baldwin if the timeline is correct, Baldwin decided to go to Exeter, only time will tell if that is a good choice or not.

Don't think we are suggesting there is anything unusual or wrong in the process. Certainly Dic & I have expressed our reservations throughout the season regarding Corey's treatment as far as selection is concerned. Whether that selection experience had anything to do with his final decision only he could advise. I think many would agree on one thing - disappointment on seeing an excellent prospect leave. 
Dic Penderyn View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 1:13pm

Don't think we are suggesting there is anything unusual or wrong in the process. Certainly Dic & I have expressed our reservations throughout the season regarding Corey's treatment as far as selection is concerned. Whether that selection experience had anything to do with his final decision only he could advise. I think many would agree on one thing - disappointment on seeing an excellent prospect leave. 

I think we need now to look at what we will have when rugby resumes.Given that Delaney has echoed(publicly at least)Mooar's high opinion of Steff Hughes,our first choice pairing in mid-field will be Steff and Jon Davies.We've also signed,according to rumour,two centres who have been plagued with injury/ill-health.Nicholas looks to be out in the cold,and Knott may have an opportunity and may take it well.Lots of imponderables,not a lot of confidence.
henry_winkler View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Don’t believe a word......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henry_winkler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 2:03pm
I haven't been a huge fan of Nicholas but I think he could do a job at 13 , needs to do something about his hair though.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 2:14pm

they better make sure the ink's dry on the contract before they play him on the wing.Wink
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 2:41pm

How has Corey been treated badly? He’s had a lot of rugby this season. The coaches know a lot more than us and it’s not unusual for centres to start on the wing. Realistically he’ll probably play less for Exeter.
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 2:48pm
Corey had plenty of opportunities and he took them. Earned a contract with the best team in England and favourites for the premiership title. Exeter aren’t shy if talent he’ll have to work hard and play well to be considered regularly for them. In no way is playing a player out of position treating someone badly when and if they are the best player in that position. The team comes before the individual. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic