Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Praise for Chris Ashton off the pitch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Praise for Chris Ashton off the pitch
    Posted: 23 January 2018 at 8:07pm
Tin hat in place, I’d like to say a few good words about him.

Credit where credit is due.

Like a lot of people who don’t support the side he plays for, I don’t like his OTT on-pitch personality that involves him in things maybe best avoided.

HOWEVER

At the end of Saturday’s match, a number of his teammates, lead by Bonneval, were off for a shower without waiting to shake hands with and clap their opponents. He gave it quite a bit of vocal effort to get them to come back. They didn’t and he wasn’t impressed.

In the part of the Quinnell near me, he was unfailingly polite and good with the kids and anyone older who asked him for a selfie, autograph, chat or whatever. He was in good humour and had a bright disposition. I had a brief chat with him, too, and he was good company.

The recent piece on Sky, I think, of his life in Toulon revealed a more interesting guy than I’d imagined.

Please don’t turn this into a knocking thread. I’d be interested to know if anyone else bumped into him off the pitch.
Any offence taken on board is only a literate/cy consequence. Every attempt at humour is just that. No personal insult intended. Standards lowered for trolls.
Sponsored Links

KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2018 at 8:33pm
I've never understood why people don't like him. Is it the dive thing he does when he scores sometimes?
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2018 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

I've never understood why people don't like him. Is it the dive thing he does when he scores sometimes?

Yes that Ash the splash is irritating, and he is quite gobby on the pitch or so I've thought.

Am happy to be corrected and see the other side so good to hear.
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2018 at 8:43pm
Ive seen the Sky interview, and he really does seem a totally different character on the pitch compared to off it.

Nice story.

He seems to relish the panto villain when playing away tho haha. And why not?
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2018 at 8:51pm
Look at Dan Biggar. Off the pitch he is very pleasant,affable and erudite as a match commentator but on the pitch gobby ,argumentative and picky and very competitive.
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2018 at 10:53am
That's interesting - it has always seemed pathetic, and a show-off thing to do - to dive AFTER you cross the line, and especially when there is no pressure - Ashton always does it. It's annoying.

I'm pleased to hear that he's a different person off the pitch - who hasn't exchanged a few blows during the game, and a beer afterwards, with the same opponent?

One other Toulon player I'd commend for his on-field attitude (on one occasion, anyway) - Nonu absolutely clattered 1/2p, but then picked him up and gave him a hug, with 1/2p responding - two great players and 100% competitive beasts - the respect was obvious. The TV cameras didn't pick that up.
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2018 at 10:56am
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

That's interesting - it has always seemed pathetic, and a show-off thing to do - to dive AFTER you cross the line, and especially when there is no pressure - Ashton always does it. It's annoying.

I'm pleased to hear that he's a different person off the pitch - who hasn't exchanged a few blows during the game, and a beer afterwards, with the same opponent?

One other Toulon player I'd commend for his on-field attitude (on one occasion, anyway) - Nonu absolutely clattered 1/2p, but then picked him up and gave him a hug, with 1/2p responding - two great players and 100% competitive beasts - the respect was obvious. The TV cameras didn't pick that up.
wasn't it nonu who rushed to help charvis when he took a bump against the all blacks.
30th june 1986- 30th june 2011.25 years roofing,i wouldn't call that dodgy.
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2018 at 11:12am
Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

Yes that Ash the splash is irritating, and he is quite gobby on the pitch or so I've thought.

Is that any different to Shane Williams?
LLANDRE View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2018 at 11:20am
There's always a couple of Sais players that the Welsh love to hate.   It was All Carling Dawson Cohen and Healey. These days Ashton gets it . I used to quite like Carling myself.
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2018 at 11:25am
Originally posted by LLANDRE LLANDRE wrote:

These days Ashton gets it

And Hartley, and Marler. And Farrell.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2018 at 11:26am
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

wasn't it nonu who rushed to help charvis when he took a bump against the all blacks.
No it was Tana Umaga
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2018 at 11:40am

These days Ashton gets it

And Hartley, and Marler. And Farrell.

And Mike Brown AngryAngryAngryAngryAngry
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2018 at 12:05pm
Used to hate Shane Williams doing his jump! Likewise those players who do "shhhh" with finger on lips when scored! Grrrrr......
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2018 at 12:08pm

There's always a couple of Sais players that the Welsh love to hate.   It was All Carling Dawson Cohen and Healey. These days Ashton gets it . I used to quite like Carling myself.
Still hate Dawson on Question of Sport -just not at all funny unlike Tufnell who is a natural. He knows his sports mind.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2018 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Tin hat in place, I’d like to say a few good words about him.

Credit where credit is due.

Like a lot of people who don’t support the side he plays for, I don’t like his OTT on-pitch personality that involves him in things maybe best avoided.

HOWEVER

At the end of Saturday’s match, a number of his teammates, lead by Bonneval, were off for a shower without waiting to shake hands with and clap their opponents. He gave it quite a bit of vocal effort to get them to come back. They didn’t and he wasn’t impressed.

In the part of the Quinnell near me, he was unfailingly polite and good with the kids and anyone older who asked him for a selfie, autograph, chat or whatever. He was in good humour and had a bright disposition. I had a brief chat with him, too, and he was good company.

The recent piece on Sky, I think, of his life in Toulon revealed a more interesting guy than I’d imagined.

Please don’t turn this into a knocking thread. I’d be interested to know if anyone else bumped into him off the pitch.

Excellent thread Steve. It's impression versus reality and 95% of players are good guys in "real" life, as opposed to the Theatre of the pitch. ( I mean you turned out to be a very nice guy when I met you despite the Swan Dive in the Quinnell Lounge you performed!!! Wink)
NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2018 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

And dragging Tuilagi over the touchline by his hair. The rematch when Manu lamped him seemed like justice at the time.

A Leicester-supporting friend rather unfairly commented, "You can take the lad out of Rugby League, but you can't take Rugby League out of the player."Embarrassed

I've never been a fan of Ashton's on-pitch demeanour or swan-dive, so I was pleased that Asquith's tap-tackle prevented an Ashton Splashdown last week, even if it didn't stop the try - and the one thing about him is that he can score tries - so it's good to hear nice things about his off-the-field persona after a defeat. Clap

Twitterer @ebenezer68
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic