Forum Description: Team News, Season Tickets, Next Match
URL: https://scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=25515
Printed Date: 28 March 2024 at 5:00pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: jonny ban
Posted By: 157cb
Subject: jonny ban
Date Posted: 13 October 2010 at 6:56pm
Jonny f,gets three weeks,for a clumsy tackle .

martyn williams gets 2 weeks,for kneeing somebody in the head,brews gets cleared for a spear tackle,baffled .

Replies:
Posted By: Speedy
Date Posted: 13 October 2010 at 6:58pm
that will strengthen our bench then.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN7pGq1i2jhev2YLcZ89h7Q/videos" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN7pGq1i2jhev2YLcZ89h7Q/videos

Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 13 October 2010 at 6:58pm

Scarlets lock Jonny Fa'amatuainu received a three-week ban for a dangerous tackle on wing Adrien Plantein the 43-34 win over Perpignan.

Fa'amatuainu, who pleaded guilty to the citing complaint, will be free to play again on November 3.

Baffled? I am too...Martin's issue was never less severe than Jonny's... although tbh this ban is probably about right...means he will miss Tigers, Blues and Glasgow. Maybe the LV games will be his chance to put things right.

Posted By: Kooga
Date Posted: 13 October 2010 at 7:01pm
So.. JF gets three weeks, yet williams  elbows and knee gets two weeks? Unbelievable

Posted By: y ddraig bwyd
Date Posted: 13 October 2010 at 7:19pm
I watched the Williams incident and it was malicious !!
HAD respect for Williams but not any more!!
Tito gets away with gouging, Williams with attacking a player's unprotected head!! Common denomenator? Blues?

-------------
y ddraig bwyd

Posted By: Bryn A! Wel!
Date Posted: 13 October 2010 at 7:24pm
Anybody got any clips of the MW incident? Not seen it yet.

By the sound of it howeveer, it seems absolutely ludicrous. I thought, referring to history, Johnny's yellow card would have been enough

-------------
Fy nheml sy'n yr Emlyn

Date Posted: 13 October 2010 at 7:24pm
why is everyone so upset? yes its injustice. but, we are without jonny, lets be honest thats hardly a loss. martyn williams misses our derby game.

win win.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN7pGq1i2jhev2YLcZ89h7Q/videos" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN7pGq1i2jhev2YLcZ89h7Q/videos

Posted By: Bryn A! Wel!
Date Posted: 13 October 2010 at 7:33pm
Not thinking about whether Johnny is a loss, Speedy, but comparatively, justice doesn't seem to have been done. Johnny's tackle - three weeks, Nugget's (allegedly) cowardly, cynical and malicious act - 6 or more!

No wonder dirty play is rife.

-------------
Fy nheml sy'n yr Emlyn

Posted By: Scarletstarch
Date Posted: 13 October 2010 at 7:36pm
Disgraceful decisions, just no consistency whatsoever!  Confused

-------------
"YMA O HYD"

Posted By: haydn_davies
Date Posted: 13 October 2010 at 7:38pm
The citing panel are a joke if Jonny F deserves a longer ban than Martyn Williams!! Clown

-------------
Think, think, think - it's a thinking man's game!! - The Great Carwyn James.

Posted By: dantheman
Date Posted: 13 October 2010 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

why is everyone so upset? yes its injustice. but, we are without jonny, lets be honest thats hardly a loss. martyn williams misses our derby game.

win win.

I'd say its win win win. Jonny F is no loss and Williams misses derby but can still play in the AI which means that there is less chance of McCusker and Turnbull being called up. I know it sounds bad but I think we're all hoping that as few of our players as possible are called up for the AI.

Posted By: JonWal
Date Posted: 13 October 2010 at 7:53pm
Cannot describe how p'd off I am about this

martyn Williams was in a rage elbowing chris Patterson in the head whilst his arms were trapped in the ruck and then dropped a knee onto his face.

I'm not angry about jonnys ban. I'm mad that martyn hasn't had longer. The citing commission is a waste of time. What's the point!?

-------------

Posted By: supertaf
Date Posted: 13 October 2010 at 7:55pm
After the injury to Gavin Quinnell you would think they would come down harder on someone tackling around the head especially if it was as bad as being described.

-------------
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872

Posted By: thommo
Date Posted: 13 October 2010 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by dantheman dantheman wrote:

win win.

I'd say its win win win. Jonny F is no loss and Williams misses derby but can still play in the AI which means that there is less chance of McCusker and Turnbull being called up. I know it sounds bad but I think we're all hoping that as few of our players as possible are called up for the AI.

You are a right muppet and if you are a fan you should be supporting the players. We need every player available and the 3 week ban is a disgrace. We have to give johnny a chance to settle in.

Posted By: Mugwuffin
Date Posted: 13 October 2010 at 7:56pm
A laughable decision by the panel. They've deprived us of a useful player for an offence that was a debatable yellow card. Jonny F hasn't had the best start to his Scarlets career but I think he would've been a good bench option for Sunday. He looked dangerous ball in hand against Connacht and the Ospreys, and could have offered us something different and unconventional off the bench should we be chasing the game.

Something needs to be done about the lack of consistency in the decisions of these panels. They rarely make a decision proportionate to the offence. They've given Martyn Williams 1 week less ban than Jonny F, despite Martyn intentionally dropping his knee on to a prone players head and then putting his bodyweight through that knee. An absolutely shameful decision.

Posted By: Tim Opolis
Date Posted: 13 October 2010 at 8:11pm
Tough on Jonny, who hasnt had the best of starts with us. I like the guy and I feel he will make a positive impact before the season's over.

-------------
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.

Posted By: maldwyn
Date Posted: 13 October 2010 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by thommo thommo wrote:

win win.

You are a right muppet and if you are a fan you should be supporting the players. We need every player available and the 3 week ban is a disgrace. We have to give johnny a chance to settle in.
Agree fully with you Thommo .Jonny not being given a chance ffs

-------------
Up the bum no harm done.

Posted By: Wrigley Man
Date Posted: 13 October 2010 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by Scarletstarch Scarletstarch wrote:

Disgraceful decisions, just no consistency whatsoever!  Confused

Totally agree.

-------------
Allez Scarlets

Posted By: Rob o'r Bont
Date Posted: 13 October 2010 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by Bryn A! Wel! Bryn A! Wel! wrote:

Anybody got any clips of the MW incident? Not seen it yet.

By the sound of it howeveer, it seems absolutely ludicrous. I thought, referring to history, Johnny's yellow card would have been enough

You can view it here for a few more days Bryn.  Look at around 9 minutes.

http://www.s4c.co.uk/clic/e_level2.shtml?programme_id=416108723

I think MW's offence was far worse than what Johnny F. did, but what do I know. Confused

The MW incident is made worse (from an Edinburgh viewpoint) by the fact that the Blues gained 3 points from the penalty, followed by a try when Edinburgh were down to 14 men.  Given how close the game was, this was trully a match deciding moment.  Had the linesman done his job and picked up the offence, then it would have been a penalty reversed and MW yellowed or possibly red carded.

Posted By: Wasp
Date Posted: 13 October 2010 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by JonWal JonWal wrote:

Cannot describe how p'd off I am about this

martyn Williams was in a rage elbowing chris Patterson in the head whilst his arms were trapped in the ruck and then dropped a knee onto his face.

I'm not angry about jonnys ban. I'm mad that martyn hasn't had longer. The citing commission is a waste of time. What's the point!?

TOTALLY AGREE. 
Nothing to do with the approaching internationals, of course.Angry

-------------
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh

Posted By: JonWal
Date Posted: 13 October 2010 at 8:51pm
Sam warburton is arguably better than MW at the moment anyway.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 October 2010 at 9:00pm
i agree the punishment is harsh and not in balance with martyn williams`. but its actually works out for us.

jonny f not given a chance? please, he`s been a liabilty everytime he`s taken the field and could have easily cost us the game when he got carded. we saw more poor signs when he slipped off a tackle on our own line v aironi.

he`s had chances and he doesn`t even do the basics well. as for sticking up for the clubs players, i`ll always be the last to have a go at players or coaches.

but jonny f is a waste of a place on the bench. i`d prefer it was given to adam powell. at least he`s got some bollox!!!!

-------------

Posted By: Huwbach
Date Posted: 13 October 2010 at 9:55pm
Err .... Warburton ! Well be ok but the offence was nothing on titos .

Posted By: North London Scarlet
Date Posted: 13 October 2010 at 10:06pm
Disgusting

-------------
Ry'n ni yma o hyd...

Posted By: Gate12
Date Posted: 13 October 2010 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by thommo thommo wrote:

win win.

Speedy - 100% agree.
Dan - 110% agree.

JF is purely a cheap body in the squad and hasn't shown anything to justify a place on the bench let alone near the starting team, in fact he's shown plenty of reasons not to be involved and Dom Day is a better option on the bench (or Vern/Welch/A.N.Other).

The consistency in the bans is shocking and Martin deserves much more of a ban, however there's no getting away that as a club this has worked out pretty well for us.

Posted By: wizard
Date Posted: 13 October 2010 at 11:10pm
Beep

Just seen the MW for the 1st time thanks to S4C link

Is there video of Johnny F yellow.

Cause due to where I was in ground and the video replay on the big screen, I thought it was fine at the time.

Posted By: y ddraig bwyd
Date Posted: 13 October 2010 at 11:14pm
Sorry but am I missing the point again here?
I thought this topic was about FOUL PLAY and NOT the playing ability of the player!!
Surely striking an unprotected head is worthy of a harsher punishment than at worse a clumsy tackle?
Judge it on the facts please NOT your opinion of the player!!

-------------
y ddraig bwyd

Date Posted: 13 October 2010 at 11:18pm
Originally posted by y ddraig bwyd y ddraig bwyd wrote:

Sorry but am I missing the point again here?
I thought this topic was about FOUL PLAY and NOT the playing ability of the player!!
Surely striking an unprotected head is worthy of a harsher punishment than at worse a clumsy tackle?
Judge it on the facts please NOT your opinion of the player!!

Well I see the topic of the Jonny ban as how it affects us over the next few weeks, in one word - positively.

On a topic of whether other bans are appropriate then no they are obviously not.

Every cloud and all that.

Posted By: scarletman
Date Posted: 13 October 2010 at 11:22pm
OK So we lose Johnny F  for 3 weeks .... Not too bad I some people beleive, UTTER B***LX .... Massive game on Sunday ... Say we pick up a 2nd row & back row injury ? Johnny F covers both.... We  can't afford to lose ANY players for whatever reason !

-------------
Herman Tours ... Still the best way to travel !

Posted By: s.pimpernel
Date Posted: 13 October 2010 at 11:22pm
Originally posted by Tim Opolis Tim Opolis wrote:

Tough on Jonny, who hasnt had the best of starts with us. I like the guy and I feel he will make a positive impact before the season's over.

Not from what I`ve seen so far. Up there with the best (worst) of them.

-------------
In Pivac we trust

Posted By: Mike
Date Posted: 13 October 2010 at 11:23pm
No wonder players aren't afraid to stamp on others' faces.

Date Posted: 13 October 2010 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by scarletman scarletman wrote:

OK So we lose Johnny F  for 3 weeks .... Not too bad I some people beleive, UTTER B***LX .... Massive game on Sunday ... Say we pick up a 2nd row & back row injury ? Johnny F covers both.... We  can't afford to lose ANY players for whatever reason !

Jon Eds and Day/Vern can cover, in all honesty I'd bring Ken on at 6 for the last 20 before JF, christ I'd even consider moving a back there.

Posted By: SMELLYMIKE
Date Posted: 14 October 2010 at 4:31am
There's two different debates going on here......

-------------
I am only responsible for what I say. Not for what you understand

Posted By: North London Scarlet
Date Posted: 14 October 2010 at 7:20am
All this talk of Jonny F's ban doing us a favour makes no sense to me... It's up to the coaches to pick the team, not a disciplinary panel!....

-------------
Ry'n ni yma o hyd...

Posted By: redeyes
Date Posted: 14 October 2010 at 7:44am
Jonny F has been poor so far, however the length of ban compared to Nuggets is a complete joke!

-------------
The stadium may change, but the dream will remain the same!

Posted By: Not-a-Turk
Date Posted: 14 October 2010 at 8:20am
Jonny F has had 6 bans before in four seasons with Bath. Martyn Williams 2 in twelve seasons with Cardiff. The discplinary record reduced Martyn's ban.

Posted By: cymru2006
Date Posted: 14 October 2010 at 9:44am
its just a case of name! , martyn Williams is a name and a current international, the kneww to the face could have easily led to a fractured eye socket or cheek bone and deserved a far greater ban. I am not disputing Jonny F, clumsy tackle but seen in almost every game, usually dealt with a yellow card which it had been. Martyn williams didnt recieve any punishment on the day and a lower ban, we lost a player for 10min which could have made and did make a massive difference to the game, plus another 3 weeks. Absolutely shocking!

-------------
everlasting ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Posted By: PE SA
Date Posted: 14 October 2010 at 1:44pm
DISGRACE. not at all unhappy with the length of jonny's ban, someone told me martyn williams had 2 weeks, id have thought jonny f's sin bin was enough.

jonny f's tackle is NOT worse than what martyn williams did. nowhere near.

Posted By: swissscarlets
Date Posted: 14 October 2010 at 2:08pm
This is a joke. Yellow card was enough for Johnny's tackle.

-------------
west is best.

Posted By: TonduTurk
Date Posted: 14 October 2010 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by Not-a-Turk Not-a-Turk wrote:

Jonny F has had 6 bans before in four seasons with Bath. Martyn Williams 2 in twelve seasons with Cardiff. The discplinary record reduced Martyn's ban.

jonny fa's ban was reduced from 6 weeks to 3 weeks

(mw from 3 to 2)

Posted By: KID A
Date Posted: 14 October 2010 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by TonduTurk TonduTurk wrote:

Originally posted by Not-a-Turk Not-a-Turk wrote:

jonny fa's ban was reduced from 6 weeks to 3 weeks

(mw from 3 to 2)

Is it correct that they are only suppsoed to reduce lower end bans, whilst M Williams' ban was mid-range so should not have been reduced?

Posted By: supertaf
Date Posted: 14 October 2010 at 9:25pm
Any news on the Quinnell issue? Surely it doesn't take long to review video evidence?

-------------
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872

Date Posted: 14 October 2010 at 10:55pm
M Williams owns up to kneeing a bloke who's defenceless in the chops and gets 2 wks...ffs.

-------------
Up the bum no harm done.

Date Posted: 14 October 2010 at 10:57pm

i agree the punishment is harsh and not in balance with martyn williams`. but its actually works out for us.

jonny f not given a chance? please, he`s been a liabilty everytime he`s taken the field and could have easily cost us the game when he got carded. we saw more poor signs when he slipped off a tackle on our own line v aironi.

he`s had chances and he doesn`t even do the basics well. as for sticking up for the clubs players, i`ll always be the last to have a go at players or coaches.

but jonny f is a waste of a place on the bench. i`d prefer it was given to adam powell. at least he`s got some bollox!!!!
Come off it Speedy

-------------
Up the bum no harm done.

Posted By: SMELLYMIKE
Date Posted: 14 October 2010 at 11:01pm
One incident was clumsy mistake and the other was premeditated.....which one should have the longest ban.....answer on a postcard to the clowns who can't run our game

-------------
I am only responsible for what I say. Not for what you understand

Posted By: swm
Date Posted: 14 October 2010 at 11:03pm
well said smellymike wot a joke it is see you sundayWink

-------------
steve and ang

Posted By: McQ
Date Posted: 15 October 2010 at 8:42am

Agree with Speedy above. It's a ludicrous decision and just goes to further emphasise how much of an inconsistent joke the disciplinary panel have become, but loosing JF doesn’t weaken us, the Blues lose Nugget for our derby clash but Wales have him back for the AI, so we’re likely to be less depleted for that period.

Win, win & win.

Posted By: PearlJam
Date Posted: 15 October 2010 at 12:09pm
Here be the MW incident. Real, real poor stuff. A 2 week ban is laughable - he could have seriously broken Patterson's nose or damaged an eye-socket. Nasty bit of work. Williams you scum-bag.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrmED1rLCRc - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrmED1rLCRc

-------------
If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose.

Posted By: aber-fan
Date Posted: 15 October 2010 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by PearlJam PearlJam wrote:

Here be the MW incident. Real, real poor stuff. A 2 week ban is laughable - he could have seriously broken Patterson's nose or damaged an eye-socket. Nasty bit of work. Williams you scum-bag.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrmED1rLCRc - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrmED1rLCRc

I agree - a total joke.

Felt that Jonny's card was marginal, and punishment enough - 3 weeks seems really harsh.

Having said that, don't think we'll miss him - he's a marginal player, though shows good hands in the lineout and elsewhere.

Posted By: KID A
Date Posted: 15 October 2010 at 1:15pm
Who can stop these ridiculous bans?

Who is governing the panels? Who do they answer to?

It needs to be addressed. Clearly players feel no qualms about going for the face of another player. And in a week where a fellow professional was blinded too. Quite sad.

Posted By: lofty evans
Date Posted: 15 October 2010 at 2:54pm
I have said it before the Citing Panel, Commission, Committee willy's really need to be booted and gouged, because they are a disgrace.
They should have independent people who look at each incident with no connection to any rugby club, nation, knocking someone's wife off or the brown envelopes bulging with explicit photo's or Euro's. They are a pathetic bunch of idiots, they are not protecting players future career or health, just their own pathetic standing and whatever perks they can amass.

I genuinely give up sometimes, the game is now professional but it's governed by Dick Jones down the road, who has to give up an hour of his fly fishing adventure, just to watch some guy maim a defenceless player and then that's not so bad when he has just skewered a Salmon through his bonce.Angry

-------------
In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net