Forum Description: For all non-rugby chat
URL: http://www.scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=42368
Printed Date: 16 December 2018 at 1:28am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Swansea takeover bid
Posted By: haydn_davies
Subject: Swansea takeover bid
Date Posted: 09 April 2016 at 9:27pm
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36007763" rel="nofollow - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36007763

Swansea City have confirmed they are in talks with American businessmen Jason Levien and Steve Kaplan about taking a "controlling interest" in the club.

The Swans hope an agreement, reported to be worth up to £100m, will be reached by the end of the season.

"We believe we have a proposal which helps Swansea progress both on and off the field," said chairman Huw Jenkins.

Jenkins and vice-chairman Leigh Dineen will stay and the Supporters Trust will retain its 21% stake and board seat.

Swansea, promoted to the Premier League in 2011, moved up to 13th in the division and secured their Premier League status with a 1-0 over reigning champions Chelsea on Saturday before the takeover news broke.

The 2013 League Cup winners are largely run by local businessmen and have previously been the target of foreign investors hoping to benefit from the fortunes of the Premier League.

Finance in the Premier League increases from next season as Sky and BT Sport paid a record £5.136bn for live TV rights for three seasons from 2016-17 - with each game costing broadcasters, on average, £10.2 million.

Could this have an impact on the Liberty stadium and the Ospreys use of it?

Ospreys fans seem to think they have a rock solid 40 year lease left on the stadium.

-------------
Think, think, think - it's a thinking man's game!! - The Great Carwyn James.
Just for our SA friends - Weste is die beste!

Replies:
Posted By: scarletabroad
Date Posted: 11 April 2016 at 11:53pm
if the money men want them out no matter what their lease is. Wih the millions being thrown about un football it wont take a lit to blind the eyes of the rugby paupers

Date Posted: 12 April 2016 at 12:14am
Talk amongst journalists so-called in the know is the people involved in the takeover want to expand the stadium and would be looking to be sole owners of it.

Who knows how that could effect the Ospreys:-
* They may be willing for the Ospreys to carry on as they are;
* They may pay the Ospreys lease off and offer them new terms;
* They may pay the Ospreys lease off and tell them where to go;

Whatever the outcome, I can see the Ospreys having to shell out more for using the stadium - if they stay there...

-------------

Posted By: Mundoscarlet
Date Posted: 12 April 2016 at 8:21am
Haha time to start thinking of redeveloping St. Helens hey boys

Posted By: joni_bach
Date Posted: 12 April 2016 at 9:05am
There's a perfectly good rugby stadium in Llanelli they could use, I'm sure we'd lease it to them for a good price!

Posted By: trident
Date Posted: 12 April 2016 at 10:54am
As I recall it the Swans and Ospreys jointly own the stadium management company, which in turn leases the stadium from City and County of Swansea council.
If that is the case I can't see how the Ospreys can be forced out unilaterally by the Swans, more likely they would have to be paid off.

Also I think the terms of the lease from the council mean that the management company doesn't pay any rent to the council until it makes a profit. Given the ownership of the management company they are unlikely to make a profit from running the stadium, as it would mean the Swans and Ospreys costs of using the stadium increase. Not sure how council tax payers view the arrangement when services are being cut while 2 sporting organisations, one of which has huge income, live rent free in a stadium paid for by the council.

Posted By: Once a monkey
Date Posted: 12 April 2016 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by haydn_davies haydn_davies wrote:

Talk amongst journalists so-called in the know is the people involved in the takeover want to expand the stadium and would be looking to be sole owners of it.

Whatever the outcome, I can see the Ospreys having to shell out more for using the stadium - if they stay there...
They have a long lease mate. Nothing anyone can do about it to change that providing they pay their rent and comply with the lease terms. To think otherwise is wishful thinking.

-------------
#George

Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 12 April 2016 at 2:28pm
They could offer a huge payout to the O's to buy out their share.

Posted By: roy munster
Date Posted: 12 April 2016 at 3:15pm
aren't they already meant to be expanding liberty to 30,000? when is that work due to start?

-------------
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)

Date Posted: 12 April 2016 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by Once a monkey Once a monkey wrote:

They have a long lease mate. Nothing anyone can do about it to change that providing they pay their rent and comply with the lease terms. To think otherwise is wishful thinking.

Yes, 40 years IIRC.

Do you honestly see the Ospreys playing at the Liberty if the Yanks buy and expand the stadium, which I understand they are very keen to do?

I don't.

They'll want to maximise every opportunity to earn a rerun on their investments.

Having a rugby side sharing the stadium and wearing the playing surface would be a big negative for them IMO.

I could be wrong though.

-------------

Posted By: Eastern outpost
Date Posted: 12 April 2016 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

aren't they already meant to be expanding liberty to 30,000? when is that work due to start?

That'll increase the echo, when it's finished.

-------------
Any offence taken on board is only a literate/cy consequence. Every attempt at humour is just that. No personal insult intended. Standards lowered for trolls.

Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 12 April 2016 at 11:51pm
Refurbish St Helens! A shadow of its past. 

-------------
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook

Date Posted: 13 April 2016 at 8:01am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

They could offer a huge payout to the O's to buy out their share.
It would have to be serious money mate, look at the cost of replicating that match day infrastructure at any of the smaller grounds within the region. Can't see it myself, and ultimately it will be the choice of the Ospreys

-------------
#George

Date Posted: 13 April 2016 at 8:04am

Originally posted by Once a monkey Once a monkey wrote:

Yes, 40 years IIRC.

Do you honestly see the Ospreys playing at the Liberty if the Yanks buy and expand the stadium, which I understand they are very keen to do?

I don't.

They'll want to maximise every opportunity to earn a rerun on their investments.

Having a rugby side sharing the stadium and wearing the playing surface would be a big negative for them IMO.

I could be wrong though.
It will ultimately be up to the Ospreys, and whether any alternative is so attractive as to make it impossible to refuse. Can't se it myself, the Liberty wasn't the Gnoll or St. Helens which was one of the reasons people bought into them. Resettling and developing elsewhere might not sit well with some.

The playing surface there is excellent in any event, cannot see that being a factor

-------------
#George

Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 13 April 2016 at 7:48pm
I agree, there's no legal or logical reason for the O's to move out...only a huge wedge, technical fine print, or a default on a contract clause could shift them..

Posted By: hoppy
Date Posted: 21 July 2016 at 9:12pm
Swans Takeover Completed.

Posted By: Abbey
Date Posted: 26 July 2016 at 10:31pm
The new owners not overly enthusiastic by dampening the fans' expectations.

Swansea need to buy big to avoid a fate worse than last year. No movement yet whilst other comparable teams are splashing the cash. A really half hearted attempt to re-sign Allen (I'm absolutely delighted he's joinined Stoke) and not much else. Talk of Bony but no real news.

I honestly fear for them and they're heading for relegation. The owners seem more Randy Lerner than Malcolm Glazer.

Date Posted: 26 July 2016 at 10:47pm
Really disappointed that they didn't appear to fully go after Allen.

The Swans need to splash some cash and buy some decent players.

-------------

Date Posted: 27 July 2016 at 6:22am

Really disappointed that they didn't appear to fully go after Allen.

The Swans need to splash some cash and buy some decent players.

Allen is just fine where he is, thank you

Date Posted: 27 July 2016 at 12:16pm
Heard Joe Allen did not want to go back to Swansea thought it would be backward step things are not right down there Ayew wants out apparently   

Date Posted: 27 July 2016 at 12:20pm
Just found this on Swansea City Forum Page

So here's the update from my usually reliable source:

Allen - didn't want to come, saw us as a step back. Stoke offered a bigger signing bonus.

Fabianski - is back and happy, but after the euros club are willing to let him go for the right price. 3 prem clubs and 1 Italian are keen, but 12 million is the valuation

Ayew - wants out and a fresh start. Valuation is a stumbling block as he's only had one prem season. Chelsea and Liverpool interested. Jenkins want Ings and Benteke for him.

Siggurdson - really happy to stay. Klopp wants him as well, but valuation is way off, club have rejected a 22 million bid

Ki - club are happy to listen to offers, but no takers around the 15 million mark

Bony - man city aren't happy to cover the wages. Jenkins is trying to get him back, with the fee being the difference that city still owe us. Americans would prefer those instalments go to stadium

Mitrovic - club won't pay more that 12 million, which is way off newcastles price

Mls players - after the takeover there are a number of players in the mls which are being shown to the club, but Jenkins and guidolin unsure about quality. Donovan and giovinco are interested.

More as it comes.

Date Posted: 27 July 2016 at 1:13pm
Joe Allen's words, at his signing press conference were:

“I was really excited as soon as I heard of the Club’s interest and it wasn’t a difficult decision for me to make."

I don't think Swans were ever in the running.

I worry for the Swans (if only that it's my closest away game with Stoke) and wouldn't want to see them relegated but they've got to make a statement signing very soon.
Bony would show good intent but, again, why go back?

There have been many players signing or talking to other clubs within the Premier Leage (like Allen, Nathan Redmond, Deeney, Berahino) and Swansea's name has never been mentioned in dispatches. Always West Ham, Palace, Southampton, Stoke, Everton etc but the only person linked to Swansea is Bony (and Allen very briefly).

Date Posted: 02 August 2016 at 6:00am
Ashley Williams on his way by the sound of it, 3 strikers already gone (or agreed moves).

Latest rumours are that the height of their ambitions is 35 year old Peter Crouch. Now, I love Crouch and want him to stay at Stoke but it's hardly showing progress for Swansea.

It's been a great decade but looks like coming to an end.

Date Posted: 02 August 2016 at 1:28pm

BREAKING NEWS

Gylfi Sigurdsson signs new four-year contract at Swansea.

Date Posted: 02 August 2016 at 9:28pm
Dramatic Twist Swans Turn down Ashley Williams bid from Everton

Date Posted: 03 August 2016 at 7:34pm
Dyer re-signed as well?

Posted By: SospanMawr
Date Posted: 03 August 2016 at 8:06pm
So Swans have signed (or re-signed) a Premier League winner?
Huw Jenkins said today in a statement there could be one or two new signings before the weekend. The quality of these will be key. Fernando Llorente would be a good start. Worth looking at the likes of Jose Fonte, Loic Remy, James Chester as well.

Date Posted: 03 August 2016 at 8:50pm
Remy's been offered to Everton as a swap plus cash for Lukaku.
Bony still available?

Date Posted: 09 August 2016 at 12:50pm
Andre Ayew sold to West Ham 20 Million

Ashley Williams 12 Million Fee Agreed on his way to Everton for a medical

Football World is going mad Paul Pogba to Man Utd 90 Million is he worth that
John Stones Everton to Man City 47.5 Million
500 Million plus spent by Premier League clubs in Transfer Window already crazy money 

Posted By: Mogwen
Date Posted: 09 August 2016 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by hoppy hoppy wrote:

Andre Ayew sold to West Ham 20 Million

Ashley Williams 12 Million Fee Agreed on his way to Everton for a medical

Football World is going mad Paul Pogba to Man Utd 90 Million is he worth that
John Stones Everton to Man City 47.5 Million
500 Million plus spent by Premier League clubs in Transfer Window already crazy money 

I'm sorry but no player is worth £90m. John stones is a good player but nowhere near worth £50m. These foreign investors have spooky football by inflating trusted fees ten fold.

To lose Williams will be a big blow , but I think the owners are looking to cash in now that he is nearly 32. A replacement must be found. Quickly.

-------------
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Posted By: GPR - Rochester
Date Posted: 09 August 2016 at 2:22pm
The Premier league, thanks in the main to Sky & the millions who can't get enough of the live games have ruined the game. No mainland European country, or indeed, any country can match the transfer fees/wages/commissions for agents. However all this spending, as yet, has not brought the ultimate prize European glory. 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2015 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk