Forum Description: Team News, Season Tickets, Next Match
URL: http://www.scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=43132
Printed Date: 11 December 2017 at 12:58pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Stradey remembered
Posted By: LLANDRE
Subject: Stradey remembered
Date Posted: 14 March 2017 at 11:10am
Last Saturday Delme unveiled a stone memorial in memory of Stradey Park in the middle of the houses. It was organised by former Llanelli full back Terry Davies. It was nice to see Benny , Roy and Derek Quinnell there too.

-------------
West is Best (Fin gwybod)

Replies:
Posted By: s.pimpernel
Date Posted: 14 March 2017 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by LLANDRE LLANDRE wrote:

Last Saturday Delme unveiled a stone memorial in memory of Stradey Park in the middle of the houses. It was organised by former Llanelli full back Terry Davies. It was nice to see Benny , Roy and Derek Quinnell there too.

And I bet it broke his bloody heart Angry

-------------
In Pivac we trust

Posted By: Speedy
Date Posted: 14 March 2017 at 1:20pm
I cannot, and will not go down there. It hurts too much to see what we gave up, for nothing.

I cant even look right anymore when i drive down sandy rd, which i always did before.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN7pGq1i2jhev2YLcZ89h7Q/videos" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN7pGq1i2jhev2YLcZ89h7Q/videos

Posted By: Sandman
Date Posted: 14 March 2017 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

I cannot, and will not go down there. It hurts too much to see what we gave up, for nothing.

I cant even look right anymore when i drive down sandy rd, which i always did before.
Don't agree with you that moving to PYS was for nothing. It was probably the only solution in the modern age of rugby. But I'm the same as you when I drive past Stradey. My head just can't turn, it only looks straight ahead. Whenever there's a documentary on the players or Stradey itself, invariably on S4C, I make every effort to watch it. They make me equally upset and happy.

-------------
Only one team plays in red. (Sorry, Scarlet)

Date Posted: 14 March 2017 at 5:08pm
I saw the piece they did on Heno on S4C and I felt very sad. I'm not going into the arguments over the move now it's being discussed till the cows come home, bit I agree with the sentiments of Speedy and Pimpernel. I miss the place terribly and wish we were still there. However what is done is done now and we can't change history.

-------------

Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 14 March 2017 at 5:18pm
You remember how run down Stradey was becoming when you visit some of the Premiership clubs these days. Generally in modest/poor condition with awful pitches. What we now have at Parc Y Scarlets is not Stradey but it is a magnificent modern stadium fit for 2017 Professional rugby. I wish more would turn up though and support the region. The 14400 capacity is never attained apart from Ospreys once a year. Still sad mind re the old days. 

-------------
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook

Date Posted: 14 March 2017 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

You remember how run down Stradey was becoming when you visit some of the Premiership clubs these days. Generally in modest/poor condition with awful pitches. What we now have at Parc Y Scarlets is not Stradey but it is a magnificent modern stadium fit for 2017 Professional rugby. I wish more would turn up though and support the region. The 14400 capacity is never attained apart from Ospreys once a year. Still sad mind re the old days. 

It wont be long before pys is in the same state.

What then?

I cant come and watch anymore. Its a dreadful experience.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN7pGq1i2jhev2YLcZ89h7Q/videos" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN7pGq1i2jhev2YLcZ89h7Q/videos

Posted By: Dafen Boy
Date Posted: 15 March 2017 at 12:27am

What then?

I went last season and found it a very enjoyable experience other than the long lines at half time.  The Barn was fun, and it was a good atmosphere.

Not sure how you fill it up though as we can't win many more games than we are winning now.

Posted By: roy munster
Date Posted: 15 March 2017 at 1:06am
Originally posted by Sandman Sandman wrote:

Don't agree with you that moving to PYS was for nothing. It was probably the only solution in the modern age of rugby. But I'm the same as you when I drive past Stradey. My head just can't turn, it only looks straight ahead. Whenever there's a documentary on the players or Stradey itself, invariably on S4C, I make every effort to watch it. They makei me equally upset and happy.
it could and should have been handled so much better which would also  have helped the move be more successful than it is

-------------
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)

Posted By: RedZep
Date Posted: 15 March 2017 at 2:16am

What then?

Mate, the home games v Toulon and Sarries were anything but a dreadful experience. They were right up there with anything we had at Stradey, as were the performances. 

I miss the old girl as much as anyone, but what we have now at PYS is exactly what we need to be viable in a professional rugby environment. It really is time to move on. 

-------------
'' Know your three R's, son..... Rugby, Rock and Ridin'!! ''

Posted By: Why
Date Posted: 15 March 2017 at 6:37am
I had some of my best rugby memories growing up in the 70's watching the Scarlets lucky enough to live 2 min walk from Stradey. Memories running on at half time getting autographs and learning new words listening to half time team talk. Playing games of rugby behind the posts at the town end before and after games The crowds were no bigger than now other than the odd Internatioonal team when they somehow used to cram thousands in with even kids on benches who had been given the afternoon off school to go to the game. Kiwi and Aussie supporters living in camper vans in the car park before the touring games. Great memories that could never now be replicated as the game has moved on we could never have stayed there and survived as we are. Was a privilege to have grown up watching the best club side in the world in the best rugby ground however it was time to leave and yes the move was handled badly but they can't take the memories away.

-------------
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.

Posted By: magicman64
Date Posted: 15 March 2017 at 7:35am
Originally posted by RedZep RedZep wrote:

What then?

Mate, the home games v Toulon and Sarries were anything but a dreadful experience. They were right up there with anything we had at Stradey, as were the performances. 

I miss the old girl as much as anyone, but what we have now at PYS is exactly what we need to be viable in a professional rugby environment. It really is time to move on. 
yeah couldn't agree with you more . Time to forget all the politics of the past and come watch the team we all love

Date Posted: 15 March 2017 at 8:12am
Originally posted by magicman64 magicman64 wrote:

What then?

yeah couldn't agree with you more . Time to forget all the politics of the past and come watch the team we all love

This isnt the team i loved. The team i loved i would have followed to the end of the earth. I cant put my finger on one exact thing.

But it just isnt Llanelli Rugby Football Club anymore.

I thought we stood alone? Why did we fight?

-------------

Posted By: redeyes
Date Posted: 15 March 2017 at 9:06am

What then?

Hear, hear!Clap

-------------
The stadium may change, but the dream will remain the same!

Date Posted: 15 March 2017 at 9:09am

What then?

This isnt the team i loved. The team i loved i would have followed to the end of the earth. I cant put my finger on one exact thing.

It might not be, but its still the Scarlets which is the most important thing.

I really dont understand what the big difference is though, we are still a team with a decent level of players from the area.

-------------

Posted By: Dai38
Date Posted: 15 March 2017 at 9:10am
I go down there all the time to watch my true club play "Llanelli Wanderers" and in the summer go to the ranch to watch the cricket.

It is truly sad that we moved, but I do understand all the reasons why.

Virtually all the ground needed to be developed, including the new stand because the facilities and of great legal importance H&S.

We would never have raised the money.

We have now got P-Y-S, a great venue which is not as much of a success as it should be, partly down to people like me.

I do go to watch the Scarlets not as often as I feel I should but life changes.

We all need to look forward and maybe the crowds will rise that would be good.

-------------
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!

Posted By: Mike
Date Posted: 15 March 2017 at 12:07pm

I know where you're coming from on this, but I think it's more that the sport itself isn't what it was, rather than it not being the club we supported anymore.

I think our backers and management have been fantastic in keeping our history and tradition at the top end of the game despite incredible challenges. It's just gut-wrenching that we're not enjoying success or magical runs in Europe anymore.

-------------
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7YKNn2JmGk" rel="nofollow - Scarlets Tries of the Season 2010/11 < > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkOKLtQs6m0" rel="nofollow - 2009/10 <

Posted By: Tim Opolis
Date Posted: 15 March 2017 at 1:08pm
I overheard a one time scarlets season ticket holder say he knew of lots of people who don't go now because its not 'Llanelli' anymore. I found that statement hard to believe, and wrote it off. But I'll ask the question, any truth in this based on people you might know?

I do know of some people who haven't ever come to Y Parc but were regulars at Stradey. I thought that they would eventually come back, but it hasn't happened yet. Wish I knew why.

-------------
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.

Date Posted: 15 March 2017 at 1:25pm
The population of the district is growing with new housing developments etc and all of these should certainly be prospective supporters as they have no baggage as we move on into 2017. I wonder if more could be done in that area to attract fans? Eg deals with developers for first season welcome to Llanelli discounts?  

-------------
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook

Date Posted: 15 March 2017 at 1:26pm
I've enjoyed my visits to the Parc but it's not as intimate as Stradey. In the same way I proffered the old Cardiff Arms Park to the Millienium Stadium. Having all the comforts etc doesn't make it so much fun.

-------------

Posted By: Rob o'r Bont
Date Posted: 15 March 2017 at 6:21pm
Chin up everyone. Mae fel angladd ma. Smile

-------------
That's the Scarlets, its in their DNA.

Date Posted: 15 March 2017 at 7:15pm

The population of the district is growing with new housing developments etc and all of these should certainly be prospective supporters as they have no baggage as we move on into 2017. I wonder if more could be done in that area to attract fans? Eg deals with developers for first season welcome to Llanelli discounts?  

Good idea especially with the new houses to be built close by. We obviously have attracted new fans which have replaced those who have walked away. But what concerns me is that attendances are pretty stagnant.

When Roger went and the new regime came into Westgate Street I was very optimistic about the future. The success of recent Judgement Days was another boost for the Pro game, PRO Rugby Wales etc etc. But recently the future looks somewhat gloomier. Dont like the idea of a region being totally in WRU control. I can only see that putting the other 3 at a disadvantage. If the Blue eyed Blues went that way as well it would be a huge concern. Dont like the idea of the WRU owning all regions either as there would be player movement outside of our control. The NDC's have also been a huge let down with clear disparity and some unfairness.

As for us, we're doing ok in the great scheme of things on the pitch, but the crowds have not materialised. The problems of PRO rugby still remain, jees, when was the last game? If I wasnt a lifer you could see how easy it would be for someone to find something else to do on the weekend. Obviously the success of the Swans affects us, 3pm kick off every other week, people form habits.

Wherever you look in the Welsh Pro game there always seems to be hurdles, hindrances. The latest is the Fail Online revelling in half baked specualtion of mergers, stuff like that certainly doesnt help promote the pro game in Wales.

I just wish the state of our position was a little bit stronger than it is. While we struggle to get top 4 or get out of our group in Europe things whilst not in decline, well kind of trundle on if you know what I mean.

I really hope we can have a strong finish to the season and get some feel good factor going. A full house and win against the O's and good old fashioned Scarlet trip to a play off wouldnt do any harm at all.

Back on topic, Stradey was great and should be honoured and remembered, but we cant look back too much. Its people that make venues special and those fine people are still there in decent enough numbers. Got to keep fighting, and continue to jump hurdles.

-------------

Posted By: scarlet_rob
Date Posted: 15 March 2017 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by Tim Opolis Tim Opolis wrote:

I overheard a one time scarlets season ticket holder say he knew of lots of people who don't go now because its not 'Llanelli' anymore. I found that statement hard to believe, and wrote it off. But I'll ask the question, any truth in this based on people you might know?

I do know of some people who haven't ever come to Y Parc but were regulars at Stradey. I thought that they would eventually come back, but it hasn't happened yet. Wish I knew why.

Do they still go and watch Llanelli and follow them around South Wales?

Date Posted: 15 March 2017 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by Mike Mike wrote:

I know where you're coming from on this, but I think it's more that the sport itself isn't what it was, rather than it not being the club we supported anymore.

I think our backers and management have been fantastic in keeping our history and tradition at the top end of the game despite incredible challenges. It's just gut-wrenching that we're not enjoying success or magical runs in Europe anymore.

You've hit the nail on the head there, it isn't so easy to follow a team when it's starved of success, all sports are littered with examples of this. Reasons such as the move from Stradey or it's not Llanelli really help with the excuse to not go and follow the team.

Date Posted: 15 March 2017 at 8:14pm
It would be interesting to compare crowds from Stradey to now I bet there not much difference though I could be way off the mark

-------------

Posted By: Vulcan
Date Posted: 15 March 2017 at 9:50pm
Mods, I think this is getting far too maudlin a post. Can you please close it?
I'm 78. My first visit to Stradey was in 1972 to see the 9-3 game. It was a fantastic occasion, me and my mate Bob Edwards from the Bont had an afternoon off to watch the game from TSAG at the old depot in Llangennech and we had a ball of a time.
45 years later things have changed, the game is no longer a sport, it's a business. Fortunately we had a backer, Huw, and a County Council to bail us out.
IMHO I don't think Llanelli bothers a toss about the Scarlets, don't ask me what the club should do about it. If I knew I'd tell them.
I've enjoyed the 45 years, here and in France.
Is Llanelli big enough to keep a Pro rugby team successful?

Posted By: totallybiasedscarlet
Date Posted: 15 March 2017 at 11:20pm
I think the first game I saw at Strade was against Neath back in the 80's. I vividly remember Jiffy getting booed in his last game for us. I was under the scoreboard in '92 when Ieuan scored right in front of me. I can remember heckling Lawrence Dalaglio when Wasps visited ... and got stuffed by little old sospan .

They were happy days ... but it was a different era. I often walk past the site when I'm walking the dog and wonder what could've been if we'd had the money. Point is we didn't. We now have a modern stadium with a team that can beat the likes of Toulon and be reasonably competitive in the professional era. Does anyone else feel, like me, that it is a massive achievement for a little post-industrial town in West Wales to have achieved this? We may not have had it at all. We may yet lose it. But in the meantime, I'm sure as hell going to put some of my hard earned towards a season ticket every year and turn up to shout for the team in Scarlet. This side has a direct lineage from the Strade days and carries its heritage onwards. I'm mightily proud of what the Scarlets represent and all the lads who represent the team. We were the Llanelli Scarlets. We're bigger than that now. Yes it's different. Nothing ever stays the same.

I'm still proud of my Scarlets.

-------------
I've seen the truth ... and I don't understand it!

Posted By: Wasp
Date Posted: 15 March 2017 at 11:37pm

I'm not a Turk and don't have the emotional connection to Stradey, but it was a way more visceral experience than PYS. I loved the fact that I could basically sit next to the subs and the assistant ref would have to share the line with people heading for the bar or toilet. I loved taking my lad onto the pitch at full time to hassle the payers. I loved the way that 6,000 used to sound louder than 10,000 does at PYS.

That said, it was a crumbling wreck and we could never have raised the money to modernise it. PYS is a wonderful facility and every time I go there and see the satellite trucks and the amazing opposition teams like Toulon, Northampton or even the Ospreys I'm amazed and slightly ashamed more people from the immediate vicinity don't value it.

The earlier post that speaks of the amount of local boys in the squad is key for me. I'm not a Welsh speaker but I'm immensely proud of the amount of Welsh speaking (and West-Walian generally)players we have. That's the heritage, the essence of the club for me. I don't see why they ever dropped Llanelli from the name - it certainly hasn't achieved anything.

I just hope there is a viable future, a way to stay within grasp of those English and French teams and the chance of beating them. A way to keep offering a chance at stardom for kids from West Wales. I really do hope so.

-------------
Supporter of the evil region against the gallant union

Posted By: s.pimpernel
Date Posted: 16 March 2017 at 6:48am
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

That said, it was a crumbling wreck and we could never have raised the money to modernise it. 

One of the issues is that the powers that be who were in charge at that time never stated publicly how much it would cost for Stradey to be modernised. All that was needed in reality was something similar to the current South Stand which would have replaced the South Stand at Stradey. 

It was at a time (2004) when the banks were cash rich and interest rates low. We could have borrowed (as well as grants, sponsorship and all other avenues of finance) if the appetite was there. And when all is said and done, the appetite wasn`t there. This was more about Pemberton Retail Park being built more than anything else.

For me, I see no reason why we couldn`t have had something very similar to Ravenhill/Kingspan built on the site at Stradey; a stadium which cost £22 million as opposed to the cost of PYS which was £20 million, and a far superior rugby stadium aesthetically IMHO.

Sadly it didn`t happen. Stradey ain`t getting rebulit. And that, as they say, is f**king that.

-------------
In Pivac we trust

Posted By: John
Date Posted: 16 March 2017 at 7:42am

What then?

We fought to maintain a top class team on the west bank of the Loughor, a team playing in red, a team that draws players from rural West Wales as well as the Llanelli area. A team where the language is important.
No it isn't Llanelli RFC anymore although that still exists. But it plays in Llanelli, in red, honours the history of the old side and we have had an assurance this year that our Captain will always the be a local Welsh-speaker.
If we hadn't fought, we would be playing in the Liberty, probably in white, with a Swansea dominated board, no honouring of Delme et al, minimal reference to the language and no connection to rural Wales so reduced opportunities for kids like Ken, Scott, Wyn etc to come through.

We fought, we won and it has been worth it.

Date Posted: 16 March 2017 at 8:22am
Originally posted by John John wrote:

What then?

We fought to maintain a top class team on the west bank of the Loughor, a team playing in red, a team that draws players from rural West Wales as well as the Llanelli area. A team where the language is important.
No it isn't Llanelli RFC anymore although that still exists. But it plays in Llanelli, in red, honours the history of the old side and we have had an assurance this year that our Captain will always the be a local Welsh-speaker.
If we hadn't fought, we would be playing in the Liberty, probably in white, with a Swansea dominated board, no honouring of Delme et al, minimal reference to the language and no connection to rural Wales so reduced opportunities for kids like Ken, Scott, Wyn etc to come through.

We fought, we won and it has been worth it.

Spot on we are the same team in a different part of town not to support them is churlish to say the least. I didn't like the way the move was handled badly and no doubt people put themselves before the region but if you can't support local boys playing in red representing the area then that is sad

-------------

Posted By: jeremy windell
Date Posted: 16 March 2017 at 9:21am

Bet you have a sly look to the left when you drive back though eh....

-------------
Go ahead..........Take those banana's

Posted By: Dai38
Date Posted: 16 March 2017 at 10:00am
I refer to my previous pot yesterday.

Stradey park had minimal maintenance in the final few years and was in a poor structural state.

The capacity was around 8/9k, there was nothing behind the posts and the old stand would have had to be demolished and rebuild.

The field itself was good but needed attention, and there were hardly any facilities at the ground.

At the time it would have cost around £1/1.5 k per seat to build, and that equates to around £10/£15 million, plus other facilities.

The new stand would have needed upgrading, so if we developed the old Stradey Park it would have cost us £20 million. We did not have the money, and it would have taken us around 3-4 years even longer to complete the work, during that time revenue would have been affected so repayments of any loans would have been difficult.

Most grants at that level would have needed match funding, i.e to obtain a grant of £5 million, needed us to have £5 million of our cash, we did not have any.

I was brought up near the ground, I could see it from my bedroom, I loved the area with all its facilities, in stradey you had 3 rugby clubs playing, a tennis club, a cricket club and 4 clubs to drink, it had everything.

I was gutted when we left the area but to survive as a club we had to move.

We have superb facilities at PYS it's not stradey, and it never will be in our life time, but we and me included must follow the NEW club and think ahead.

I like a few would like this thread to be closed now it is generating far too much negativity.

-------------
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!

Date Posted: 16 March 2017 at 10:19am
Well said!  Clap

-------------

Date Posted: 16 March 2017 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by s.pimpernel s.pimpernel wrote:

That said, it was a crumbling wreck and we could never have raised the money to modernise it. 

One of the issues is that the powers that be who were in charge at that time never stated publicly how much it would cost for Stradey to be modernised. All that was needed in reality was something similar to the current South Stand which would have replaced the South Stand at Stradey. 

It was at a time (2004) when the banks were cash rich and interest rates low. We could have borrowed (as well as grants, sponsorship and all other avenues of finance) if the appetite was there. And when all is said and done, the appetite wasn`t there. This was more about Pemberton Retail Park being built more than anything else.

For me, I see no reason why we couldn`t have had something very similar to Ravenhill/Kingspan built on the site at Stradey; a stadium which cost £22 million as opposed to the cost of PYS which was £20 million, and a far superior rugby stadium aesthetically IMHO.

Sadly it didn`t happen. Stradey ain`t getting rebulit. And that, as they say, is f**king that.
We had to sell Stradey to get the £7m downpayment  for CCC to build PYS for us

-------------

Posted By: NobbySosban
Date Posted: 16 March 2017 at 1:07pm
I don't see this thread as negative at all - just shows the passion of supporters for the heritage of the club - before and after the seismic shifts of professionalism and 'regionalism' - and a heartfelt yearning to see success return to Llanelli, for Parc y Scarlets to echo the glories of Stradey, for old fans to return and new ones to catch the fever.

I can totally understand the misty-eyed, fond rememberings of days gone by. There's perhaps no way to reproduce the special Stradey atmosphere in a modern stadium, but that history gives the club and its new generation a high benchmark to aim for. The roots of the club are deep-set in the West Wales community, a font of extraordinary talent professionally nurtured in an historically rich environment.

We are still here, and though the future will be challenging and often uncertain, the platform, passion and desire to succeed, to keep getting better and return the glory days, still burn brightly in everyone here and those involved with the Scarlets. What a privilege it is to be part of it.

Posted By: HollowayScarlet
Date Posted: 16 March 2017 at 3:03pm
Stradey Park should rightful be remembered and marked. And the fact that the posts still stand at the entrance of the town I think is an incredible reference to the historic site and its importance to the town. It is great that a statue is being laid at the site. 

However, the Stradey atmosphere people talk off wasn't created by its brick and concrete, it was created by the supporters who came and the team that played.

The Scarlets is one of the only welsh rugby identities which has survived the professional era to still play at highest club level. Supporters should be grateful it has survived. Look at Paris, looks at London Welsh, looks at Dragons.

I think there is some great work going on and off the field to increase the brand reach both locally and across 'the region'. We must be proud of the past and the clubs great history as it is part of its identity, but we can not live in the past. To those abstaining Parc y Scarlets, there is still a great team achieving great thinks against great opposition in your town. 

Posted By: jeremy windell
Date Posted: 16 March 2017 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by HollowayScarlet HollowayScarlet wrote:

Stradey Park should rightful be remembered and marked. And the fact that the posts still stand at the entrance of the town I think is an incredible reference to the historic site and its importance to the town. It is great that a statue is being laid at the site. 

However, the Stradey atmosphere people talk off wasn't created by its brick and concrete, it was created by the supporters who came and the team that played.

The Scarlets is one of the only welsh rugby identities which has survived the professional era to still play at highest club level. Supporters should be grateful it has survived. Look at Paris, looks at London Welsh, looks at Dragons.

I think there is some great work going on and off the field to increase the brand reach both locally and across 'the region'. We must be proud of the past and the clubs great history as it is part of its identity, but we can not live in the past. To those abstaining Parc y Scarlets, there is still a great team achieving great thinks against great opposition in your town. 

Great post👍👍👍

-------------
Go ahead..........Take those banana's

Date Posted: 17 March 2017 at 10:27am
yeah well said holloway

-------------

Date Posted: 18 March 2017 at 7:31am
Originally posted by Mike Mike wrote:

That is also one of the things that has driven me away, the sport in general isnt as appealing to me to want to travel, and pay to watch it.

Admitedly that isnt the scarlets fault.

Going back to the stradey pys topic tho, I feel many mistakes were made in the design, position, and planning of the new stadium. Someone as OCD as myself cannot cope with seeing it lol.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 March 2017 at 7:34am
Originally posted by jeremy windell jeremy windell wrote:

Bet you have a sly look to the left when you drive back though eh....

Honestly, no. It is too upsetting. 

-------------

Date Posted: 18 March 2017 at 7:41am

I gave it many years, its not like i refused to go. Ive been there for sell outs. It is affected by a culture change of the times too, but what some are calling atmosphere these days dont know their butt from their topknot.

I used to think it was about the supporters and the people, not bricks and mortar. but pys is really not conducive of an intimidating home crowd.

The balance is all wrong. It is way too family friendly. (i know people wont see what i am saying here)

But the place is too sterile. too bland. 

Looking back it was the beginning of the end when the council put a stop to running on the pitch at stradey.

There was an immediate downturn in atmosphere and ethos as to what supporting Llanelli rugby football club was all about after that.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 March 2017 at 7:45am
Perhaps what is needed is a new generation of youngsters to lift their heads from their smartphones and tear it up old skool.

A part of me dies each time i see an opposition hooker throw in in front of the north terrace in perfect  peace and tranquility.

-------------

Posted By: kcreg
Date Posted: 18 March 2017 at 9:35am

outstanding post.ClapClapClapClap.just don't get most of this sentimental nonsence about stradey.think it's just an easy excuse not to go and watch scarlets anymore,i bet if the ones staying away from pys were offered free tickets for every home game,they'd make an effort to go then. I miss stradey,just like every other scarlets fan,i miss it,got some great memories,but hey ho,it's gone,move on.

-------------
I WAS THERE-LIBERTY STADIUM 11/9/07 & 26/3/16

OSPREYS 9-SCARLETS 14!
OSPEYS 16-SCARLETS 25!

Date Posted: 18 March 2017 at 9:51am
Originally posted by kcreg kcreg wrote:

outstanding post.ClapClapClapClap.just don't get most of this sentimental nonsence about stradey.think it's just an easy excuse not to go and watch scarlets anymore,i bet if the ones staying away from pys were offered free tickets for every home game,they'd make an effort to go then. I miss stradey,just like every other scarlets fan,i miss it,got some great memories,but hey ho,it's gone,move on.

Lets not confuse the issue here, there were people staying away from Stradey for silly reasons too, but were soon first in line for semi finals and free busses.

I understand the point you are making.

I am underwhelmed by what PYS is, compared to what was promised it would be, and the potential it had to really extract and draw upon the Stradey experience, injected into a modern arena.

We missed multiple tricks along the way, what we are left with is pretty poor tbh.

-------------

Posted By: scarletnut
Date Posted: 18 March 2017 at 10:09am

Lets not confuse the issue here, there were people staying away from Stradey for silly reasons too, but were soon first in line for semi finals and free busses.

I am underwhelmed by what PYS is, compared to what was promised it would be, and the potential it had to really extract and draw upon the Stradey experience, injected into a modern arena.

We missed multiple tricks along the way, what we are left with is pretty poor tbh.
What tricks did we miss?

-------------
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1

Posted By: spirit of 72
Date Posted: 18 March 2017 at 10:54am
I'm sure most can understand why the move was necessary but it does not mean that you have to like it.

I really miss Stradey and the atmosphere but one of the problems is now the fact that Regional Rugby means that the majority of games are against teams who will not bring as many supporters as say Neath, Bridgend, Pontypridd, let alone Swansea.

The fact is that the switching around of kick off times over a weekend also means that people have lost the habit of going. That is a much exercised argument on this site but it is the basis of many of the problems relating to attendances, and yes, I do understand the importance of TV money and I watch the Scarlets on the box far more often than I would have done in the old days.

But one thing can easily be restored and that is the name. I simply do not understand why they had to drop 'Llanelli'. It gave the region a sense of identity which has been diminished.

-------------
Fairplay

Date Posted: 18 March 2017 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by spirit of 72 spirit of 72 wrote:

I'm sure most can understand why the move was necessary but it does not mean that you have to like it.

I really miss Stradey and the atmosphere but one of the problems is now the fact that Regional Rugby means that the majority of games are against teams who will not bring as many supporters as say Neath, Bridgend, Pontypridd, let alone Swansea.

The fact is that the switching around of kick off times over a weekend also means that people have lost the habit of going. That is a much exercised argument on this site but it is the basis of many of the problems relating to attendances, and yes, I do understand the importance of TV money and I watch the Scarlets on the box far more often than I would have done in the old days.

But one thing can easily be restored and that is the name. I simply do not understand why they had to drop 'Llanelli'. It gave the region a sense of identity which has been diminished.

That is a very interesting point tbh it is a bit odd... I think we did it to try and form a seperate identity from the llanelli rugby club and the scarlets , also to try appeal to the rest of the region outside llanelli maybe also appease the newport gwent springboks who seem to have had a chip on both shoulders about us and cerdiff blues keeping our standalone identity from day one

-------------

Posted By: 157cb
Date Posted: 18 March 2017 at 2:20pm

A fitting tribute to a fantastic stadium,where I saw 800 plus games.

Parc y Scarlets a brilliant state of the art stadium,and I have experienced atmospheres equal of anything at Stradey.

The thing we must remember the young children who enjoy the brilliant matchday experience at the Parc,be it the Barn or tag rugby,this is the only stadium they know, as the Scarlets home going forward..

Date Posted: 18 March 2017 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

What tricks did we miss?

Well cutting proper access off to pemberton for a start, segregating the one pathway into a bustling retail park as an emergency exit only, which is not even fit for that purpose. positioning of the spectators a "safe" distance from the play.

A terrace that is poor elevation, a pa announcer who drowns out any semblance of a song starting.
a clubhouse.
i could go on and on.

I suppose i am just OCD.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 March 2017 at 8:11pm

Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

What tricks did we miss?

Well cutting proper access off to pemberton for a start, segregating the one pathway into a bustling retail park as an emergency exit only, which is not even fit for that purpose. positioning of the spectators a "safe" distance from the play.

A terrace that is poor elevation, a pa announcer who drowns out any semblance of a song starting.
a clubhouse.
i could go on and on.

I suppose i am just OCD.

Parc Y Scarlets would benefit from you being there pal. You're a great fan, cant forget you banging the drum in Toulon having riden all the way down there on your motorbike. Hope to see you down there in the future. People like you and Llandre have an amazing influence on other fans and when you're not there you're sadly missed.

-------------

Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 19 March 2017 at 6:01am
That's a fact indeed.

Date Posted: 20 March 2017 at 12:11pm
Speedy mate, I think there are quite a few people who hold the same view as you.  

But if you think about it, most of the points you make would have applied had we stayed at Stradey. That is to say, a new stadium at Stradey would probably have looked exactly like the one we have at Pemberton.  The team at Stradey would be just the same team we have at Pemberton.  The crowd size at Stradey would be the same crowd size we have at Pemberton.  The match day experience at Stradey would be exactly the match day experience we have at Pemberton.

The only thing that would be different is the actual location.  In every other respect, nothing would have changed.

-------------

Posted By: Once a monkey
Date Posted: 20 March 2017 at 1:01pm
There is a sad irony to many of the posts in this thread. If we stop and look around us, we see the Friends of Newport Rugby trying so desperately to retain some form of professional rugby entity. In the 'untapped' North of Wales they aspire for further funding and progress, whilst out east in the greater 'Ponty' metropolis, we have the great unwashed who would sacrifice their manhood for just once chance to have again what we are so fortunate to be experiencing.
And we are fortunate, however anyone dresses it up.
The truth is that the halcyon days of Stradey Park are long behind us. And as we all undoubtedly look back with great fondness at the stadium, through our Scarlet tinted spectacles, we ignore one simple truth. As alluded to earlier in this thread, it was what happened at the stadium rather than the facility itself that evokes these feelings in so many. We dominated the opposition, plain and simple, something financial resources mean we will perhaps never again do.  That is really what people miss. Being a team that were feared. Let's be honest. If we did that at PYS people would come. However, our dire European record of recent seasons has done so much to diminish us, certainly in terms of fan base, profile and sponsorship.

But it really is awful to hear guys like Speedy talk in such a way. I don't mean that as a criticism of him or others. But we never had the luxury as a fan base to lose such committed and passionate people. Those people who galvanise the rest.

Sadly, as has been pointed out, the move wasn't handled with the aplomb it deserved and as a result we have lost some good people. Add to that the apathetic in a Town suffering from increasing financial hardship and only then do you actually realise how well we have done just to run the Toulon and Sarries of this world so close this season.

What we are missing more than Stradey though, is success. But is it a chicken and egg scenario now? Will success bring crowds, or will crowds with their increased revenue, albeit limited, bring success. The former for me. Success will bring sponsorship, increased profile and crowd numbers. So let's stop looking backwards, be grateful for what we have and hope WP and the bois have some magic left in them this season.

-------------
#George

Date Posted: 20 March 2017 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by Once a monkey Once a monkey wrote:

There is a sad irony to many of the posts in this thread. If we stop and look around us, we see the Friends of Newport Rugby trying so desperately to retain some form of professional rugby entity. In the 'untapped' North of Wales they aspire for further funding and progress, whilst out east in the greater 'Ponty' metropolis, we have the great unwashed who would sacrifice their manhood for just once chance to have again what we are so fortunate to be experiencing.
And we are fortunate, however anyone dresses it up.
The truth is that the halcyon days of Stradey Park are long behind us. And as we all undoubtedly look back with great fondness at the stadium, through our Scarlet tinted spectacles, we ignore one simple truth. As alluded to earlier in this thread, it was what happened at the stadium rather than the facility itself that evokes these feelings in so many. We dominated the opposition, plain and simple, something financial resources mean we will perhaps never again do.  That is really what people miss. Being a team that were feared. Let's be honest. If we did that at PYS people would come. However, our dire European record of recent seasons has done so much to diminish us, certainly in terms of fan base, profile and sponsorship.

But it really is awful to hear guys like Speedy talk in such a way. I don't mean that as a criticism of him or others. But we never had the luxury as a fan base to lose such committed and passionate people. Those people who galvanise the rest.

Sadly, as has been pointed out, the move wasn't handled with the aplomb it deserved and as a result we have lost some good people. Add to that the apathetic in a Town suffering from increasing financial hardship and only then do you actually realise how well we have done just to run the Toulon and Sarries of this world so close this season.

What we are missing more than Stradey though, is success. But is it a chicken and egg scenario now? Will success bring crowds, or will crowds with their increased revenue, albeit limited, bring success. The former for me. Success will bring sponsorship, increased profile and crowd numbers. So let's stop looking backwards, be grateful for what we have and hope WP and the bois have some magic left in them this season.

The apathy of Welsh people to club rugby is pretty shameful really and I don't know what the answer is, other than becoming a European force again.

Looking forward we have to hope for a TV deal that is more equitable compared to our European friends and possibly a bigger help from WRU.

Other than that the bold bit is spot on!

-------------

Posted By: najbritcol
Date Posted: 20 March 2017 at 8:08pm

The apathy of Welsh people to club rugby is pretty shameful really and I don't know what the answer is, other than becoming a European force again.

Maybe because Wales is not as much of a rugby nation as the stereotype (if it ever was) and quite a few people are even actively hostile to what they see as an anachronistic stereotype?

Date Posted: 20 March 2017 at 8:25pm
The young kids now coming and watching the game or taking part in games in the Barn or at halftime weren't even born or would not remember Stradey - thousands of children have been born in the Region over the last 10 years or so. They are the future who need nurturing not those of the past. We live for the future folks! Chin up.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 March 2017 at 10:41pm
As I've said I lived 2 mins from Stradey trained there every week played there played under the wires played cricket at the ranch even drank in the tennis club but as great as though days were they have gone but the team remains.
We are very fortunate to have a team mostly of local talent who deserve and need our support if you can follow the team to France then get across the town and follow the boys there. We can all be sentimental about the old times rugby has moved on at a great pace in the last forty years we have to move with it. We are the Scarlets have always been and always will be we are respected all over the world for what we have achieved. If people want the good times then they must get of their arses and support the team wherever we play. Revel in the culture the history,bring your memories of the great times at Stradey,the away trips and share them with the youngsters so they are in no doubt about how lucky they are that they support the best rugby team that has ever existed.
We have a great past and with loyal unwavering support we can have a great future.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 March 2017 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

As I've said I lived 2 mins from Stradey trained there every week played there played under the wires played cricket at the ranch even drank in the tennis club but as great as though days were they have gone but the team remains.
We are very fortunate to have a team mostly of local talent who deserve and need our support if you can follow the team to France then get across the town and follow the boys there. We can all be sentimental about the old times rugby has moved on at a great pace in the last forty years we have to move with it. We are the Scarlets have always been and always will be we are respected all over the world for what we have achieved. If people want the good times then they must get of their arses and support the team wherever we play. Revel in the culture the history,bring your memories of the great times at Stradey,the away trips and share them with the youngsters so they are in no doubt about how lucky they are that they support the best rugby team that has ever existed.
We have a great past and with loyal unwavering support we can have a great future.
 Clap

-------------

Posted By: multinational
Date Posted: 21 March 2017 at 7:59am
I can offer two perspectives here.

Being a child of Stradey the hurt of moving and memories of great days will live forever but I have accepted that change was needed and (despite it never quite feeling the same) I am a Scarlet supporter first and foremost and in all honesty I would watch them play anywhere. PYS is not Stradey, never will be, but the team I love still fights with the same passion and I am surrounded by fans who bleed scarlet - that will do for me.

My daughter has come for the last 4 years. She knows nothing of Stradey. Loves the parc, loves the barn and is a scarlet supporter for life. The music piped over the tannoy (which I hate) she loves, the barn where I can't get a pint - she loves, the whole match day experience which feels a little contrived and plastic - she loves.

I remember the day that my dad moved away from me in the terrace to sit in the stand. He explained it was a right of passage and he had done his tour of duty on the terrace and he said that one day we 'loonie binners' would be replaced by a new, louder generation too. Our facilities are there for this new generation and they love it.

HOWEVER this new generation still need us cronies to remind them of the proper way to support the team, the Welsh heritage, the song. So when I hear that people who have stood side by side with me for so many seasons and through good times AND BAD are no longer prepared to come and show them the ropes it just takes the gloss off it all a little bit more.

-------------
History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again.

Posted By: Eastern outpost
Date Posted: 21 March 2017 at 8:17am
Great post Multi

-------------
Any offence taken on board is only a literate/cy consequence. Every attempt at humour is just that. No personal insult intended. Standards lowered for trolls.

Posted By: JPRWilliams
Date Posted: 21 March 2017 at 10:01am
Should never have moved from Stradey park. There was enough room and land around all sides of the stadium to redevelop or expand for the professional era. In my opinion the only reason we moved to PYS was because certain individuals within the club were due to make a vast amount of money from the sale of the land at stradey. There was no other reason. 

Date Posted: 21 March 2017 at 10:17am
Originally posted by JPRWilliams JPRWilliams wrote:

Should never have moved from Stradey park. There was enough room and land around all sides of the stadium to redevelop or expand for the professional era. In my opinion the only reason we moved to PYS was because certain individuals within the club were due to make a vast amount of money from the sale of the land at stradey. There was no other reason. 

Plenty of land, but unfortunately there were no money trees growing on it!

-------------

Posted By: Mrfwon
Date Posted: 21 March 2017 at 11:11am
Some great posts on this thread! ClapClapClapClapClapClap 

-------------
Guinness Pro 12 Champions 2017...get in!

Posted By: Micro Duck
Date Posted: 21 March 2017 at 11:43am
With only 3 home games between mid February and August, the stark reality is that the rugby side of the stadium is the lowest priority.

You can't run a business on 3 matchdays in 6 months.

-------------
*NEW* KIDS HALFPENNY T SHIRTS
ON SALE NOW

http://llanellitee.spreadshirt.co.uk/" rel="nofollow - http://llanellitee.spreadshirt.co.uk

Date Posted: 21 March 2017 at 1:49pm
Good posts OAM and Multi.

On the music playing thing: Whilst I don't like it, I can understand that it appeals to the younger generation. What we need is a bit of common sense though. If singing gets started and is going well, don't make unnecessary announcements or play music to drown it out. There should be a period at the beginning of the game for fans to be heard as well. I like flower of Scotland at Murrayfield when the pipes stop and its just the crowd singing.

Its that spine tingling singing, or the chanting of Scarlets going around the ground that I miss most from Stradey. In fairness there's been some good atmospheres in recent times, just need a bit of sympathetic direction from the stadium manager.

-------------

Posted By: Dafen Boy
Date Posted: 21 March 2017 at 3:59pm
First went to Stradey in 1962, and saw the 1963 All Blacks as my first touring team.  Was there for 9-3, and the Springboks, Wallabies and a few others, including the Barbarians game in the centenary season.

I remember after the 1973 Cup Final when we beat Cardiff handily, that was a hell of a good night in the club, when all other activity was curtailed as the players' bus was spotted near Sandy Bridge, and the real party started. Clap 

I have taken friends from South Africa and New Zealand to Stradey, and all were welcome and the place had the real rugby aura of the amateur era and centre of the community.  The Pro era is different, and we have to adjust, I think it's called progress.

My memories are becoming hazy, and a little selective, but I was proud to be a Scarlet and loved the old place.  I still prefer to stand to watch rugby, and miss the days of the enclosure in front of the stand.

Date Posted: 21 March 2017 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by Dafen Boy Dafen Boy wrote:

First went to Stradey in 1962, and saw the 1963 All Blacks as my first touring team.  Was there for 9-3, and the Springboks, Wallabies and a few others, including the Barbarians game in the centenary season.

I remember after the 1973 Cup Final when we beat Cardiff handily, that was a hell of a good night in the club, when all other activity was curtailed as the players' bus was spotted near Sandy Bridge, and the real party started. Clap 

I have taken friends from South Africa and New Zealand to Stradey, and all were welcome and the place had the real rugby aura of the amateur era and centre of the community.  The Pro era is different, and we have to adjust, I think it's called progress.

My memories are becoming hazy, and a little selective, but I was proud to be a Scarlet and loved the old place.  I still prefer to stand to watch rugby, and miss the days of the enclosure in front of the stand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY4quLU38C4 
Big smile

-------------

Posted By: Scarletstarch
Date Posted: 22 April 2017 at 2:51pm
Been down to see the Memorial Stone and garden this morning and felt quite emotional remembering all the many glory days and the atmosphere that Stradey used to create! One thing stood out for me other than the memories is why are there football shaped balls there as surely would have been more appropriate if they had been rugby shaped balls?? Heart Confused

-------------
"YMA O HYD"

Posted By: Steve twin
Date Posted: 22 April 2017 at 6:01pm
Oh dear me scarletstarch how upsetting eh.

Posted By: Scarletstarch
Date Posted: 22 April 2017 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by Steve twin Steve twin wrote:

Oh dear me scarletstarch how upsetting eh.

Its a woman thing, beauty is in the detail and would look so much better with oval shaped balls! Wink

-------------
"YMA O HYD"

Date Posted: 23 April 2017 at 8:16am
It typifies the whole process for me. Very good ideas spoilt by poor execution and delivery. 

I agreed with the need to move and build the new stadium given the reassurances we were given. But even the ones they lived up to just dont quite cut it. Very half baked. 

-------------

Posted By: Mundoscarlet
Date Posted: 23 April 2017 at 8:22am
Something else I would bring up. I was down home the weekend for first time in many years. Went to the ground to the shop to find its closed until May 3rd for refurb. Now it doesn't take that long to refurb somewhere, you see the likes of big companies having shops refurbed in a few days. Also driving round why aren't they making sure the outside of the ground as its a metal facia cleaned regularly and the training barn. And the red that's peeling off the front of the stand is so unprofessional. It's little things like this that make a difference to people's impression of the club as a whole

Posted By: Scarlet O'Hara
Date Posted: 23 April 2017 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by Mundoscarlet Mundoscarlet wrote:

Something else I would bring up. I was down home the weekend for first time in many years. Went to the ground to the shop to find its closed until May 3rd for refurb. Now it doesn't take that long to refurb somewhere, you see the likes of big companies having shops refurbed in a few days. Also driving round why aren't they making sure the outside of the ground as its a metal facia cleaned regularly and the training barn. And the red that's peeling off the front of the stand is so unprofessional. It's little things like this that make a difference to people's impression of the club as a whole
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          As for the shop it's a whole re-branding. The new supplier will not have Scarlets items already in stock. I'm sure they are aware of the peeling paint, it could be down to cost or they may have a guarantee on it in which case it could be a bit of back and forth with contractor.                        

Date Posted: 23 April 2017 at 1:39pm

Exactly. They will be bemoaning the poor facilities soon and asking for another new build. 

When you look back at the blood sweat and tears involved in the move it really hurts to see already a lack of respect and mainenance on the new place.

Rust already sets it, the same can be said for the stradey posts on the roundabouts. 

-------------

Date Posted: 23 April 2017 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by Scarlet O'Hara Scarlet O'Hara wrote:

As for the shop it's a whole re-branding. The new supplier will not have Scarlets items already in stock. I'm sure they are aware of the peeling paint, it could be down to cost or they may have a guarantee on it in which case it could be a bit of back and forth with contractor.                        

Or Rupert could have spun another yarn about the concrete needing to dry.....

-------------

Date Posted: 23 April 2017 at 1:44pm
I though one of the purposes of having a supporters trust was to engage fans in helping maintain the stadium and facilities?

There is only so much effectiveness can be gained from very stale meet the coaches and players sessions.

-------------

Posted By: Scarlet O'Hara
Date Posted: 23 April 2017 at 3:16pm

I though one of the purposes of having a supporters trust was to engage fans in helping maintain the stadium and facilities?

There is only so much effectiveness can be gained from very stale meet the coaches and players sessions.

You know what how about going to games and going to meetings, we miss you about anyway. We are fortunate that the Scarlets are willing to meet for coaches and players evenings, not all clubs are. (I am not saying things are perfect btw). 

Date Posted: 24 April 2017 at 7:48pm

You know what how about going to games and going to meetings, we miss you about anyway. We are fortunate that the Scarlets are willing to meet for coaches and players evenings, not all clubs are. (I am not saying things are perfect btw). 

I do mean that its a bad thing having the meets, i just feel the whole purpose has gotten lost in a rut thats all.

I would have thought they would have had a far more active role in the matchday experience side of things too.

-------------

Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 24 April 2017 at 8:41pm
Only we could conjur up a grievance around a kit launch coming in nearly a full 4 months before any year in our history.

Re-branding a store is not just painting the skirting boards and stocking up s couple of posters. We are changing our whole operation...paperwork, systems etc etc.

Date Posted: 24 April 2017 at 9:45pm

I do mean that its a bad thing having the meets, i just feel the whole purpose has gotten lost in a rut thats all.

I would have thought they would have had a far more active role in the matchday experience side of things too.

You have a very negative opinion of everything Scarlet at the moment which I find rather strange. I understand from reading this forum you were once a die hard fan but it's quite sad you have to be this negative and I mean that in a sympathetic way.
I do however find it also very unfair if you to have a go at the ground and the meet the coaches nights when by your own admission you don't go and have no interest.
I spent a lot of seasons watching the Scarlets in Stradey seeing my first game in 1971 and grew up watching some if the greatest rugby players of all time so I know how special the place was. Life moves on the Scarlets have moved on Llanelli has moved on I would hope at some point you can move on and join the same ardent supporters watching mainly local boys playing their heart out for the Scarlets, that has not changed.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 April 2017 at 3:50pm

You're a bit of a conundrum wrapped up in an enigma at the moment Speedy. You've fallen out of love with all things Scarlet, have no wish to come to games, yet you are still posting on a Scarlet fans forum critiscising the club and those who are trying. It's bloody hard at the moment mate. On so many fronts.

You've been a real loss. No doubt. But isn't it time you either stopped this tirade or engaged again. I for one would love to see the latter. I don't know you as well as many, but this constant critiscism and apathy isn't from the guy I met. Who cared so much

-------------
#George

Date Posted: 25 April 2017 at 8:35pm

You're a bit of a conundrum wrapped up in an enigma at the moment Speedy. You've fallen out of love with all things Scarlet, have no wish to come to games, yet you are still posting on a Scarlet fans forum critiscising the club and those who are trying. It's bloody hard at the moment mate. On so many fronts.

You've been a real loss. No doubt. But isn't it time you either stopped this tirade or engaged again. I for one would love to see the latter. I don't know you as well as many, but this constant critiscism and apathy isn't from the guy I met. Who cared so much

Clear case of Fancy Bears/Russian Hacking warm up exercise taking over Speedy's SF profile before going onto bigger and more worldly things.

However, the hackers have been captivated by the soul of SF and still come back periodically.

What next?

Maybe a Putin Oligarch bidding to join the funding directors.

-------------
Any offence taken on board is only a literate/cy consequence. Every attempt at humour is just that. No personal insult intended. Standards lowered for trolls.

Date Posted: 25 April 2017 at 8:36pm
PS do we need to have a whip round to get the release of Speedy from his captors so he can come back to join the faithful choir.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 April 2017 at 9:47pm

You have a very negative opinion of everything Scarlet at the moment which I find rather strange. I understand from reading this forum you were once a die hard fan but it's quite sad you have to be this negative and I mean that in a sympathetic way.
I do however find it also very unfair if you to have a go at the ground and the meet the coaches nights when by your own admission you don't go and have no interest.
I spent a lot of seasons watching the Scarlets in Stradey seeing my first game in 1971 and grew up watching some if the greatest rugby players of all time so I know how special the place was. Life moves on the Scarlets have moved on Llanelli has moved on I would hope at some point you can move on and join the same ardent supporters watching mainly local boys playing their heart out for the Scarlets, that has not changed.

I am annoyed that our mediocrity is just accepted, especially when i see time and time again how we could do things far better, but have made crucial mistakes that were once in a lifetime opportunities.

By me being die hard, i look back and see i was deluded, believing the rubbish spouted from the club year after year, blindly hoping things would turn the corner.

When in reality inept running of this club was being passed on from one charlatan to the next.

Ymlean Llanelli.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 April 2017 at 5:50am
I'm must be a sad deluded mediocre blind old fool who is easily pleased but that surely is better than bitter and resentful.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 April 2017 at 7:15am

I am annoyed that our mediocrity is just accepted, especially when i see time and time again how we could do things far better, but have made crucial mistakes that were once in a lifetime opportunities.

By me being die hard, i look back and see i was deluded, believing the rubbish spouted from the club year after year, blindly hoping things would turn the corner.

When in reality inept running of this club was being passed on from one charlatan to the next.

Ymlean Llanelli.
Are you serious?

Speedy, someone needs to take you out for a pint and explain to you what we have actually achieved over the past 10 years. It is quite frankly astonishing that we still have professional rugby in Llanelli when faced with such fearful odds against us.  You are denying everything that we have achieved when you could really be embracing our successes in still being here and competing on the European stage with a team that is now thriving and will hopefully move on to bigger and better things with our and your support.

Would you really want to miss out on all of that.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 April 2017 at 7:55am
Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

Ymlean Llanelli.
Are you serious?

Speedy, someone needs to take you out for a pint and explain to you what we have actually achieved over the past 10 years. It is quite frankly astonishing that we still have professional rugby in Llanelli when faced with such fearful odds against us.  You are denying everything that we have achieved when you could really be embracing our successes in still being here and competing on the European stage with a team that is now thriving and will hopefully move on to bigger and better things with our and your support.

Whilst you are right that we have achieved survival over the last ten years that doesn't really get bums on seats as it's been quite dire at times. Want to win back old and new support, then it's time to achieve something real, time to win silverware.

Date Posted: 26 April 2017 at 8:23am
Originally posted by scarlet_rob scarlet_rob wrote:

Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

Ymlean Llanelli.
Are you serious?

Whilst you are right that we have achieved survival over the last ten years that doesn't really get bums on seats as it's been quite dire at times. Want to win back old and new support, then it's time to achieve something real, time to win silverware.
We have done a lot more than achieve survival.  

We have developed a team that is currently the top team in Wales and looks like being so again for the second year in a row. We have developed a team that competes in Europe alongside some of the best club sides in the Northern Hemisphere.  We produce some of the most exciting players in the UK.  We have probably one of the best rugby stadiums at club level in the UK.  I'm sure there's more I could add but you get the drift.

I think in this context, its probably unfair to throw mud at the way the club is managed.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 April 2017 at 10:47am

Ymlean Llanelli.
Speedy, when you talk about our mediocrity are you having any regard whatsoever to market forces, players wages, squad budgets, the impact of the move and the economic factors in Wales? Ask any objective rugby person, and most would comment that we actually punch well above our weight. Where do you actually think we should be in the grand scale of things, particularly having regard to the Roger Lewis years and what is going on in the countries we compete against?

As for the 'charlatans' you refer to, come on, that is a bit harsh. I know where you are coming from historically perhaps, but God bless those charlatans who have delved deep into their own pockets these last 10 years to keep pro rugby alive and well in a small former industrial town in West Wales. Whilst I agree that we should never just accept our lot, and should always plan  and strive to improve, I also take solace from the fact that we aren't Neath, Swansea, Pontypridd, Bridgend, Newport or indeed the Dragons. Great teams that we dominated Welsh rugby with for so many years, now consigned to playing Bedwas and Bargoed.

You mention in your post that you see 'time and time again how we could do things far better'. Focus that energy then, write a paper for the Scarlets about how they do that. Do what you used to do. The club is crying out for such passion mun! 

-------------
#George

Posted By: 157cb
Date Posted: 26 April 2017 at 10:54am

Excellent posts those last two,and spot on .

Come on Speedy,What happened to the words ??

Scarlets till I die !!!

Date Posted: 26 April 2017 at 5:52pm
whilst i appreciate the points made in reaction to my perceived negativity, i would like to point out that we have been just as guilty architects of our own fall from grace over those years.

We have limped from one balls up to the next for the last 10 years.

If all you guys want to hear is positivity for mediocrity, so that your heads stay nice and warm in the sand then find.

But i want more. 

I shall say we are in a more solid position now. Also seeing the Ospreys have to move their home quarter final to the demands of their stronger housemates made me realise its not as bad as it could have been.

But still, we could be sooooooo much blydi better mun.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 April 2017 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

Scarlets till I die !!!

Did i change allegiances or something?

I want whats best for Llanelli rugby football club.

I want it soo badly that i just cannot cope standing there watching us in this current guise.

-------------

Posted By: ladram
Date Posted: 26 April 2017 at 6:42pm

Scarlets till I die !!!

I want it soo badly that i just cannot cope standing there watching us in this current guise.

I can empathise with a lot of what you are saying speedy as a lot of your gripes I agree with and contributed to me not renewing my season ticket after 25 years,the move to the parc was rammed full of arrogance and build it and they will come attitude,the season ticket the first year in the south was £340 if I remember correctly with no real watering hole for the "true" fans as good as the barn is that was an afterthought brought in by the jumper,the attitude of the stewards towards paying customers,the shoddy service at the bars and food outlets,the way that we are always linked to "big" signings which never seemed to materialise,the way we always seem to have positions for ex players or relatives of people at the club all these things are valid points,however they are trying their best to get people back,we are playing good rugby(although as pimp says we always seem to disappoint when we have a big crowd and are expected to do well) there are some season tickets next year for £75 I can't see how much more they can do,i once wrote in to complain about the bars when we played munster in the H C and how long the queues were jon daniels rang me on a Monday night and we spoke for nearly an hour about how difficult it is with these out sourced companies,my circumstances have changed since I lived and breathed scarlets and planned my calender around fixtures but I have registered my interest for the £75 ticket and i'm hoping I get one,maybe my desire will come back but at that price you can't go wrong yes mistakes have and still are being made but why not write to or ring jon daniels I can assure you he will be prepared to listen,what's gone is gone and nothing will change that.

-------------
30th june 1986- 30th june 2011.25 years roofing,i wouldn't call that dodgy.

Posted By: PritchyTheScarlet
Date Posted: 26 April 2017 at 6:55pm

Scarlets till I die !!!

We're not Llanelli Rugby Football Club though? 

-------------
All Time Favourite Scarlets XV

B Davies, M Jones, R King, J Davies, D James, S Jones, D Peel
R Evans, K Owens, J Davies, V Cooper, C Wyatt, S Easterby, J Davies, S Quinnell

Posted By: Mundoscarlet
Date Posted: 26 April 2017 at 6:58pm
Exactly, if there are issue, contact the right people but give them the respect they deserve. We are in a virtually impossible position in this day and age, and people making excuses or not turning up is also a cause as to why we can't keep moving onward and upward

Posted By: ladram
Date Posted: 26 April 2017 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by PritchyTheScarlet PritchyTheScarlet wrote:

Scarlets till I die !!!

on the ball tonight.Big smile

-------------
30th june 1986- 30th june 2011.25 years roofing,i wouldn't call that dodgy.

Posted By: PritchyTheScarlet
Date Posted: 26 April 2017 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Originally posted by PritchyTheScarlet PritchyTheScarlet wrote:

Scarlets till I die !!!

on the ball tonight.Big smile

I was confused by Speedy's last two posts, it seemed throughout that he was talking about the Scarlets, but he ends by mentioning Llanelli RFC? Not sure which company he is referring to?

-------------
All Time Favourite Scarlets XV

B Davies, M Jones, R King, J Davies, D James, S Jones, D Peel
R Evans, K Owens, J Davies, V Cooper, C Wyatt, S Easterby, J Davies, S Quinnell

Date Posted: 26 April 2017 at 7:49pm

whilst i appreciate the points made in reaction to my perceived negativity, i would like to point out that we have been just as guilty architects of our own fall from grace over those years.

We have limped from one balls up to the next for the last 10 years.

If all you guys want to hear is positivity for mediocrity, so that your heads stay nice and warm in the sand then find.

But i want more. 

I shall say we are in a more solid position now. Also seeing the Ospreys have to move their home quarter final to the demands of their stronger housemates made me realise its not as bad as it could have been.

But still, we could be sooooooo much blydi better mun.

Can you elaborate on the balls up over the last 10 years and how exactly it could be so much better?

-------------
#George

Posted By: GPR - Rochester
Date Posted: 26 April 2017 at 9:38pm
What a waste of time this thread has turned into. I don't particularly care who Speedy is frankly. If he doesn't want to support our team then fine but please everybody stop bleating about it as if he was the messiah just cos he's got a good voice - for goodness sake!!!!!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2015 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk