Forum Description: Team News, Season Tickets, Next Match
URL: http://www.scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=43517
Printed Date: 19 November 2017 at 7:58pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 20 players out of contract
Posted By: scarletnut
Subject: 20 players out of contract
Date Posted: 12 August 2017 at 11:31pm
There are up to 20 players out of contract at the end of this coming season but we are well down the line in securing the players we want to keep.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/scarlets-hope-fend-irish-attempts-13469898.amp

-------------
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1

Replies:
Posted By: Dafen Boy
Date Posted: 13 August 2017 at 12:20am
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

There are up to 20 players out of contract at the end of this coming season but we are well down the line in securing the players we want to keep.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/scarlets-hope-fend-irish-attempts-13469898.amp

It is unrealistic to keep them all, and I think Barclay may not stay no matter what, but the big ones will be in midfield, Beirne and James Davies.  Have to think the NDC's will be renewed unless the WRU gives up on them.

Hopefully each team will get a proportion in relation to its Wales squad members.

Posted By: najbritcol
Date Posted: 13 August 2017 at 12:44am
Maybe when the Scarlets do the European/Pro 14 double this season then more players will stay.Wink

Posted By: supertaf
Date Posted: 13 August 2017 at 10:10am
I cant see cubby leaving tbh.

-------------
Scarlets - Pro 12 Champions 2017

Posted By: sgsmorgan
Date Posted: 13 August 2017 at 10:12am
I think in the past the decision was to try and help support the O's in their bid for Euro Glory and then try and help the others in their wake so to speak.

Now that the O's possibly have hit a temporary (probably) hiatus then the WRU will back and try and run with the Scarlet's attempt for greater success. By this hopefully they'll try and help the club maintain it's challenge for honours and bigger and better success.

Basically the WRU is not rich enough to fully get behind each and every region and just evenly distributing the NDC's around on a per region basis actually tends to perpetuate an "average" performance as opposed to trying to target those with real potential to put Welsh Club/Regional Rugby on the European Map.

Hopefully the WRU will recognise that of the four Regions the Scarlets over the next 2-3 Seasons have arguably the best chance of serious silverware and support us.

But this is Tribal Wales we're talking about so the above common sense may not apply.

Posted By: Wasp
Date Posted: 13 August 2017 at 10:19am
Bollocks to NDCs. I doubt we'll be counting on them, other than the renewals for very high profile players like Foxy to be honest. 

-------------
Supporter of the evil region against the gallant union

Date Posted: 13 August 2017 at 10:29am
Originally posted by supertaf supertaf wrote:

He's an international class player who can't get capped no matter how well he plays with his lack of Wales call ups making him more attractive to French and English clubs than a large amount of Wales squad players. He's achieved a hell of a lot at Scarlets so he may look for a new a challenge where he can earn more money. I don't think he's nailed on to stay as he will undoubtedly be the subject of a lot of big money offers.

-------------
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1

Date Posted: 13 August 2017 at 10:31am
Originally posted by najbritcol najbritcol wrote:

Maybe when the Scarlets do the European/Pro 14 double this season then more players will stay.Wink
It's vitally important to make the RCC knock outs. A quarter final appearance could net us up to £400k

-------------

Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 13 August 2017 at 11:30am
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

Bollocks to NDCs. I doubt we'll be counting on them, other than the renewals for very high profile players like Foxy to be honest. 

Like.

Posted By: Why
Date Posted: 13 August 2017 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Like.

I do not like NDC but if they are there and if they help us keep players we should be fighting our corner in every negotiation with the WRU to get what we are rightfully entitled to. if we are going to lose a lot of players to the national side which undoubtedly we will we need proper compensation.

-------------
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.

Posted By: GPR - Rochester
Date Posted: 13 August 2017 at 12:54pm
Used correctly the NDC system has its merits. Samson, Jake & Foxy hopefully will renew with NDC's. Rob, Scott & Ryan are all worthy contenders for NDC's also. Cubby is the conundrum. If he adapts well to the new tackle laws & is as influential as previous years then I can see a clamour for his signature from over the bridge. 

I notice Pivac is on record today saying that the club have offered Tadgh a new extended contract. He also stated that the club had already decided which of the 20 out of contract at the end of the season players they wanted to keep & discussions had already taken place with players/agents. Hopefully we can get the positions with the 20 sorted well before Xmas. 

Date Posted: 13 August 2017 at 2:46pm

That would be unwise as their price would go up.  Pivac has stated that renewal talks have already been started

Date Posted: 13 August 2017 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

Like.

I do not like NDC but if they are there and if they help us keep players we should be fighting our corner in every negotiation with the WRU to get what we are rightfully entitled to. if we are going to lose a lot of players to the national side which undoubtedly we will we need proper compensation.
According to Nigel Short we get well compensated for call-ups to the point of him not being fussed over whether we get them or not.

Let's be honest, our recruitment/retention has been the best of all four teams over the last 2 seasons. NDCs just add a layer of WRU interference that we don't need.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 August 2017 at 2:48pm

Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

Like.

According to Nigel Short we get well compensated for call-ups to the point of him not being fussed over whether we get them or not.

Let's be honest, our recruitment/retention has been the best of all four teams over the last 2 seasons. NDCs just add a layer of WRU interference that we don't need.

This should suit the Scarlets as we will contribute most of the squad 

Date Posted: 13 August 2017 at 2:49pm

It's vitally important to make the RCC knock outs. A quarter final appearance could net us up to £400k
It's still a tough ask this year with Bath/Toulon in the group. But it's our best chance for several years. 

A home KO game in the P14 is definitely within reach. Getting both would be a substantial boost and one I agree we should be targeting.

Apart from injuries I worry about increased call-ups this season. Patch/Steff/Elias/Wyn are all in the frame now along with our regulars.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 August 2017 at 3:16pm

It's still a tough ask this year with Bath/Toulon in the group. But it's our best chance for several years. 

A home KO game in the P14 is definitely within reach. Getting both would be a substantial boost and one I agree we should be targeting.

Apart from injuries I worry about increased call-ups this season. Patch/Steff/Elias/Wyn are all in the frame now along with our regulars.

Agree with you on all that. Bath and Toulon may have had their problems of late but both have star studded squads. However, the side that finishes second will almost certainly qualify given Treviso's presence in the pool.

-------------

Posted By: roy munster
Date Posted: 13 August 2017 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by sgsmorgan sgsmorgan wrote:

I think in the past the decision was to try and help support the O's in their bid for Euro Glory and then try and help the others in their wake so to speak.

Now that the O's possibly have hit a temporary (probably) hiatus then the WRU will back and try and run with the Scarlet's attempt for greater success. By this hopefully they'll try and help the club maintain it's challenge for honours and bigger and better success.

Basically the WRU is not rich enough to fully get behind each and every region and just evenly distributing the NDC's around on a per region basis actually tends to perpetuate an "average" performance as opposed to trying to target those with real potential to put Welsh Club/Regional Rugby on the European Map.

Hopefully the WRU will recognise that of the four Regions the Scarlets over the next 2-3 Seasons have arguably the best chance of serious silverware and support us.

But this is Tribal Wales we're talking about so the above common sense may not apply.

Hard to know what to expect from the Ospreys this season...They have let go of a few tidy players like underhill, matavesi, grabham and ardron..which surprises me... On the upside Cory allen is a big signing, hes a dangerous player plus several will be back from injury like watkin , brad davies, lydiate, maybe beck...plus hook could be a shrewd signing. 

-------------
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)

Date Posted: 13 August 2017 at 5:37pm
Beck wasn't injured most of last season, just used sparingly as his past injuries limit his game time.  As for the Scarlets' European pool, Toulon are in decline and Bath really underachieve relative to their squad (not unlike the Ospreys pre-2012), so Scarlets definitely should be facing their chances this time.

Date Posted: 13 August 2017 at 5:44pm
In 2017/18 Ospreys are poo - end of. I don't know why but they haven't really recruited and they haven't sacked Tandy. I think they're treading water and waiting for something. Don't know what tho

-------------

Date Posted: 13 August 2017 at 6:33pm

In 2017/18 Ospreys are poo - end of. I don't know why but they haven't really recruited and they haven't sacked Tandy. I think they're treading water and waiting for something. Don't know what tho

I agree, no investment, no owner support, just treading water as AWJ gets older and Biggar may leave at the end of the season.

Reverse of the Scarlets' ownership group in a smaller market, which underscores how committed they are.

Posted By: Sosban89
Date Posted: 13 August 2017 at 7:30pm
I think some are underestimating the Ospreys. I think they'll still be there or there abouts. Even after not looking amazing they still made top 4 last season.

Date Posted: 13 August 2017 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by Sosban89 Sosban89 wrote:

I think some are underestimating the Ospreys. I think they'll still be there or there abouts. Even after not looking amazing they still made top 4 last season.

They were flattered by the fixtures last season. Their pack is shocking.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 August 2017 at 9:02pm

All teams ultimately face each other in the same league (until now with the conferences, but that's another matter).  Last season, Ospreys accumulated lots of bonus points winning against teams at the middle and lower end of the table, and were even undefeated between December and February in all competitions.  However, they did struggle against Leinster and Munster, especially away, and suffered a growing injury crisis that reached its peak just after the Six Nations, made somewhat worse still by losing their beloved AWJ.  All the same, I do agree that their props are poor at the moment (and that is where their injury crisis was worst, along with the wings), but their other forwards are a lot better still.

Date Posted: 13 August 2017 at 9:38pm

All teams ultimately face each other in the same league (until now with the conferences, but that's another matter).  Last season, Ospreys accumulated lots of bonus points winning against teams at the middle and lower end of the table, and were even undefeated between December and February in all competitions.  However, they did struggle against Leinster and Munster, especially away, and suffered a growing injury crisis that reached its peak just after the Six Nations, made somewhat worse still by losing their beloved AWJ.  All the same, I do agree that their props are poor at the moment (and that is where their injury crisis was worst, along with the wings), but their other forwards are a lot better still.

They really don't have much depth and the combination of injuries and call ups hurt them.  Big drop off from First XV to Second XV, unlike the Scarlets.

Date Posted: 14 August 2017 at 8:46am
I, for one, will not be writing off the Ospreys. With talent like Arhip, AWJ, Bradley, Tipuric, Webb, Biggar, Watkins, Beck, Hook, Corey Allen, Hassler & Dan Evans they will be a match for many. They have issues of depth in the back 3 & front row which they have not addressed yet so will need luck with injuries. They are worthy opponents.

Posted By: SA14
Date Posted: 14 August 2017 at 11:03am

He's an international class player who can't get capped no matter how well he plays with his lack of Wales call ups making him more attractive to French and English clubs than a large amount of Wales squad players. He's achieved a hell of a lot at Scarlets so he may look for a new a challenge where he can earn more money. I don't think he's nailed on to stay as he will undoubtedly be the subject of a lot of big money offers.

I agree with this. I think he'll go on his travels for a season or two then come back. Hope he doesn't mind. Interesting that Tadgh denied all knowledge of an interest from Ireland.

Date Posted: 14 August 2017 at 3:04pm
The Scarlets' management seems much more professional than the other regions, I think we are in good hands.

Posted By: PearlJam
Date Posted: 14 August 2017 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by Dafen Boy Dafen Boy wrote:

The Scarlets' management seems much more professional than the other regions, I think we are in good hands.

It wasn't always this way. We've been in the doldrums for some time while the Ospreys and Blues raced ahead, so these things are cyclical. The canceling of contracts and releasing injured players (Daf James et al.) did nothing for other credibility, but we've certainly turned a corner.

What we have always had is excellent supportive benefactors which do give us that stability, but I think the professionalism of the club has evolved since we've arrived at Y Parc.

-------------
If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose.

Date Posted: 14 August 2017 at 8:46pm

They really don't have much depth and the combination of injuries and call ups hurt them.  Big drop off from First XV to Second XV, unlike the Scarlets.

I agree that the gap between the Ospreys first and second-choice XVs is a lot bigger than that of the Scarlets - I said as much myself in a thread I opened both here and on ScumV and was pilloried for it.  Nevertheless, for their to not be much difference between first and second-choice XV does not always mean much - you could argue that there isn't much difference between the first XV and second XV in the Italian teams and the Dragons, just for the opposite reasons to the Scarlets...

Posted By: dantheman
Date Posted: 20 August 2017 at 1:11pm
As an indication of the challenge we have in keeping all our out of contract players, Esportif have just posted highlights videos for Cubby, Barclay and Ball.

https://vimeo.com/user9099612

It's standard practice to do this for players, whether they are looking for an extension or otherwise so nothing to worry about too much at this stage. Indication however that players are looking to see what's out there for them.

Posted By: Tim Opolis
Date Posted: 20 August 2017 at 2:41pm
If things go as well as I suspect they will this year, who would want to leave? Sanjay had a change of heart by all accounts. Its such a happy camp down there. Add winning to that mix and it snowballs. The only ones who may leave are those not getting enough gametime. Players are approaching us and want to play for us. Since we've gone pro this period is as good as it gets. We may lose one or two, but more will be knocking on our door.

-------------
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.

Date Posted: 20 August 2017 at 2:49pm
Somewhat ironically Wales' blatant blind spot about Cubby makes him more appealing to English clubs.

Date Posted: 20 August 2017 at 3:29pm
I agree. I personally would say he may be tempted to go just to have a taste of rugby elsewhere. Hope I'm wrong.

Date Posted: 20 August 2017 at 4:48pm

Somewhat ironically Wales' blatant blind spot about Cubby makes him more appealing to English clubs.
He would arguably be a better signing for an English/French club than Warburton/Tipuric.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 August 2017 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

I agree. I personally would say he may be tempted to go just to have a taste of rugby elsewhere. Hope I'm wrong.
Yes I think it's 50/50 in terms of keeping him. That's obviously just a guess on my part though

-------------

Date Posted: 20 August 2017 at 4:50pm
Don't think Barclay will go. He's an adopted Welshman like Easterby. Stay with us until he retires.

Date Posted: 20 August 2017 at 5:07pm

Don't think Barclay will go. He's an adopted Welshman like Easterby. Stay with us until he retires.

Barclay has stated previously that he wants his kids educated in Scotland so I can see him going after next season with hopefully Moriarty coming down to replace.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 August 2017 at 5:12pm

I agree with this. I think he'll go on his travels for a season or two then come back. Hope he doesn't mind. Interesting that Tadgh denied all knowledge of an interest from Ireland.

I would still be shocked if Cubby leaves. Hes always wanted to play for the scarlets and is now living his dream. Dont forget hes only really been with us for a short time and has plenty more to give. Not every player is chasing the buck, some are happy where they are as long as we give him a competitive deal.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 August 2017 at 5:18pm
We also treated him shoddily through age grade. Swings and roundabouts.

Date Posted: 20 August 2017 at 5:38pm

Barclay has stated previously that he wants his kids educated in Scotland so I can see him going after next season with hopefully Moriarty coming down to replace.
His kids are already in Welsh medium education

-------------

Posted By: ap sior
Date Posted: 20 August 2017 at 5:38pm

Not doubting what you say, but I'm sure someone on here, if not JB himself has said that he needs members of the squad to translate what his kids say as they are educated in a Welsh language junior school. 

Date Posted: 20 August 2017 at 5:39pm

Big shame if he goes.
I get the feeling that Pivac and he get on really really well actually

-------------

Date Posted: 20 August 2017 at 5:39pm

Well done Wasp !!! Beat me to it by 1 second !!!!!

Date Posted: 20 August 2017 at 5:42pm

Does you think that he still carries that grudge Wil ?

I understood that it was Easterby that didn't rate him. Simon's gone, Cubby's had his chance and he's flourished.

Posted By: ladram
Date Posted: 20 August 2017 at 5:51pm

I've been pilloried in the past for saying that wil,i hope he stays.

-------------
30th june 1986- 30th june 2011.25 years roofing,i wouldn't call that dodgy.

Date Posted: 20 August 2017 at 6:34pm
Have you?
OK. Didn't realize. Not sure why. One of those rare guys that was capped at age grade without a region/academy deal.

I'm just saying the guy didn't have his region behind him at a time when he should have done...he could easily have never made it as a pro player.

But then the same region, under a new regime, gave him a call and gave him his chance...and its turned in to a fantastic bit of business all round.

I actually think like most - that he's v grateful for that second chance and a fair deal would see him stay, but I also think he's going to get a few big offers from across Offa's dyke...simply because of his ability, stats, and that he is/has been over-looked by Wales...and that then brings in to question the playing budget we have....which is a perpetual challenge as we all know.

The higher end cost players for us are the one's without an NDC ( like Scott, Aaron, Patch, Cawdor etc) or guys like Barclay being a Scot. I think these are likely to be the challenges, and understandably so, the club has been great to/for all of them, but the budget is the budget at the end of the day ,and it can only stretch so far.

Date Posted: 20 August 2017 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

I understood that it was Easterby that didn't rate him. Simon's gone, Cubby's had his chance and he's flourished.

Cubs is a 'works to live' sort of guy mate ... can't imagine he carries a grudge about anything in life tbh.

Date Posted: 20 August 2017 at 7:04pm

Cubs is a 'works to live' sort of guy mate ... can't imagine he carries a grudge about anything in life tbh.

BTW I sure that I heard Greg Garner's name mentioned yesterday. I think he was reffing !!!!

Date Posted: 20 August 2017 at 7:08pm

Have you?
OK. Didn't realize. Not sure why. One of those rare guys that was capped at age grade without a region/academy deal.

I'm just saying the guy didn't have his region behind him at a time when he should have done...he could easily have never made it as a pro player.

But then the same region, under a new regime, gave him a call and gave him his chance...and its turned in to a fantastic bit of business all round.

I actually think like most - that he's v grateful for that second chance and a fair deal would see him stay, but I also think he's going to get a few big offers from across Offa's dyke...simply because of his ability, stats, and that he is/has been over-looked by Wales...and that then brings in to question the playing budget we have....which is a perpetual challenge as we all know.

The higher end cost players for us are the one's without an NDC ( like Scott, Aaron, Patch, Cawdor etc) or guys like Barclay being a Scot. I think these are likely to be the challenges, and understandably so, the club has been great to/for all of them, but the budget is the budget at the end of the day ,and it can only stretch so far.

Now that he's established himself as first choice I'd hope that he'll be offered a NDC when his contract is up for renewal.

Date Posted: 20 August 2017 at 7:18pm
That ship has sailed sir.

Posted By: Scarlet O'Hara
Date Posted: 20 August 2017 at 7:59pm

I've also read (sorry can't remember where) that Easterby had said that Cubby was the player to watch, which would suggest that was not the case. 
I seem to remember Cubby was advised to add a bit of weight the season before he joined the Scarlets.  

Date Posted: 20 August 2017 at 9:16pm
There is a fine balance to be struck trying to retain our top end talent with our limited resources. Much as I value the enormous input that John Barclay has made I would see his position as being a doubt. He is a high earner & we have a number of back row options. Much will depend on the management's assessment of progress made by Condy & McLoud.

Date Posted: 20 August 2017 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

There is a fine balance to be struck trying to retain our top end talent with our limited resources. Much as I value the enormous input that John Barclay has made I would see his position as being a doubt. He is a high earner & we have a number of back row options. Much will depend on the management's assessment of progress made by Condy & McLoud.

As good as the youngsters are I would love it if we could keep Barclay as long as possible a fantastic example to the youngsters talks a lot of sense and has the hallmarks of someone who could be a great addition to coaching ranks.

-------------

Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 20 August 2017 at 10:35pm
John is a very mature ( beyond his years) and calming character who speaks very well. He also has the credibility of being a top player. A born leader and/or someone who gains total respect . Bound to have a successful post rugby career. Loves his life over on the Gower beaches and appreciates how the Welsh Scarlets fans have taken to him like we did for the great Shaun Lamont. Will he stay? I hope so but if not we owe him our thanks and vica versa. I hope he stays nonetheless.

-------------
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook

Posted By: Rich (Bris)
Date Posted: 20 August 2017 at 10:38pm
He's playing his best rugby at the moment and loving it. At least 3 years left at the top

Date Posted: 20 August 2017 at 10:47pm
The lack of Team Wales interest in Cubby also adds to his value to the Scarlets mind. I understand the budgetary issues but success in the league is built on having a spine of players that can perform through the international windows.

It's a hell of a challenge in Wales, maintaining a squad of players that can completed in Europe and league KO games, but also a second squad to continue that during and leading up to the test windows.

God knows how we do it, but when you stop and think - right now we seem to be the only region trying to be competitive. The Dragons are the Dragons, and Cardiff and Ospreys have all but stopped serious recruiting.

It does bear repeating that both Nigel and Wayne have already made a point about saying we're well down the retention road. That seems to be much more encouraging than recent times.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 August 2017 at 9:00am

The lack of Team Wales interest in Cubby also adds to his value to the Scarlets mind. I understand the budgetary issues but success in the league is built on having a spine of players that can perform through the international windows.

It's a hell of a challenge in Wales, maintaining a squad of players that can completed in Europe and league KO games, but also a second squad to continue that during and leading up to the test windows.

God knows how we do it, but when you stop and think - right now we seem to be the only region trying to be competitive. The Dragons are the Dragons, and Cardiff and Ospreys have all but stopped serious recruiting.

It does bear repeating that both Nigel and Wayne have already made a point about saying we're well down the retention road. That seems to be much more encouraging than recent times.

Excellent news that for once we're ahead of the game.

I've even heard that the 2018-19 home and away kit will be out next week !!!LOLLOLLOL

Date Posted: 21 August 2017 at 9:45am

Great points about the other regions...at least the Drags are investing in their infrastructure (pitch) and coaching...but I agree I'm not sure what the O's and Blues mantra is...

Blues have spent heavily on imports (Leelo, Halaholo, Anscombe, Nick Williams etc) that by and large haven't brought them much success to date, and they do seem (in my view) to have linkage issues with the academy development to the first team (Blues have always had great age grade product).
Why would you sign the likes of (no disrespect to the players) Damien Welch (35) and Rhys Gill(31) in a pack that already has Matthew Rees, Gethin Jenknins and Filse?
Having to re-sign a 40 year old prop (much as I love the lad) isn't a great reflection on the development pathway.
I saw Jack Roberts being bigupped in the press recently...'tearing up the Aviva' last season...really? Good player but what does he bring that Allen doesn't...same age, same position.
What they seem to need is more youth being given the chance...Dillon Lewis, Ellis Jenkins are great talent...but where are the backs?
I can only see Rhun Williams, and he's really an RGC product.

Whinging about un-fair allocation of NDC's is basically a petulant swipe at the fact that Hpenny turned them down. Releasing new import players before they pull on the shirt means he looks to have made a decent decision!.
Plus the 'WRU should take us over' nonsense is just typical bluster from Pies...who's been the first to break ranks on many things in the past...you reap what you sew sir.

As for the O's I'm staggered at what they see in the signing of Hook and Allen, again quite costly...smacks of sentiment re Hook to be honest. They do at least seem willing to give young lads a go, but that's easier when the team is perpetually successful...yesterday's match wasn't great from the snippets I saw on FB...

They surely needed to look at the pack and bolster it with reliability really, particularly with the loss of a couple of good guys like Underhill in there, and the questionable cover they have at prop. Watching Rhodri come on as sub, and then get subbed, speaks volumes of what they have after Arhip at TH.

In summary it feels like the respective 'owners' of the Drags, O's and Blues are intent/content in cutting their cloth in different ways to the Scarlets.

We are so lucky to have the pro active mentality of our Board when it comes to trying for on field success. But there is of course a limit to what we can justifiably afford.

Posted By: Micro Duck
Date Posted: 21 August 2017 at 10:19am
We have to be comfortable with where the squad is. Take away the first XV, and you still have this team available:

Wyn, Ryan, Kruger, Bullbring, Price, Boyde, Rawlins, MacLeod, Aled, Dan, Parkes, Asquith, Grabham, Prydie, Rhys Jones.

Without including Emyr, Dylan, Tom Phillips and Jonathan Evans, and some of the academy backs.

-------------
*NEW* KIDS HALFPENNY T SHIRTS
ON SALE NOW

http://llanellitee.spreadshirt.co.uk/" rel="nofollow - http://llanellitee.spreadshirt.co.uk

Date Posted: 21 August 2017 at 10:42am
I can only echo what Wil has said about the O's & Blues. The recruitment of Jack Roberts for Cory Allen is a backward move - tearing it up in the Aviva my bottom!!!!!! The whole management structure within the Blues system is flawed. Their academy has a conveyor belt of talent from the 20's age grade which seems to disappear. The cancelling of the contract for the South African lock is the lowest point yet - farcical. The Ospreys remain our nearest & dearest Welsh competitors but they have some serious front 5 issues which they have not addressed. The situation with Rhodri Jones is now beyond farcical. Everyone involved, including Rhodri himself, needs to take a long hard look at the facts. Since being converted to a tight head he has gone steadily backwards from being one of the most promising Loose heads in Wales to 3rd/4th choice tight head at the O's. He still has time to make the change & get back to being one of the top loose heads in Wales but he needs to make that decision now. 

The value of a forward thinking, tight knit management group can clearly be seen by the huge influence our team have exerted over the past 3 seasons despite huge financial constraints. Our development pathway must be the envy of most sides in the Northern Hemisphere & the opportunities afforded these young players by our coaches can only be applauded. Having got to this stage we have to keep focused & resolute. The journey from where we are - in the base camp of our Everest ( success in Europe) to also rans is a short step away. Somehow I have more confidence than at any time in the last 10 or so years that this group will not take their eyes off the prize. 

Date Posted: 21 August 2017 at 10:59am

I can only echo what Wil has said about the O's & Blues. The recruitment of Jack Roberts for Cory Allen is a backward move - tearing it up in the Aviva my bottom!!!!!! The whole management structure within the Blues system is flawed. Their academy has a conveyor belt of talent from the 20's age grade which seems to disappear. The cancelling of the contract for the South African lock is the lowest point yet - farcical. The Ospreys remain our nearest & dearest Welsh competitors but they have some serious front 5 issues which they have not addressed. The situation with Rhodri Jones is now beyond farcical. Everyone involved, including Rhodri himself, needs to take a long hard look at the facts. Since being converted to a tight head he has gone steadily backwards from being one of the most promising Loose heads in Wales to 3rd/4th choice tight head at the O's. He still has time to make the change & get back to being one of the top loose heads in Wales but he needs to make that decision now. 

The value of a forward thinking, tight knit management group can clearly be seen by the huge influence our team have exerted over the past 3 seasons despite huge financial constraints. Our development pathway must be the envy of most sides in the Northern Hemisphere & the opportunities afforded these young players by our coaches can only be applauded. Having got to this stage we have to keep focused & resolute. The journey from where we are - in the base camp of our Everest ( success in Europe) to also rans is a short step away. Somehow I have more confidence than at any time in the last 10 or so years that this group will not take their eyes off the prize. 

You make some very valid points. The most important next step in my view is to avoid complacency at all costs. We saw it with the Scarlets and Wales in the golden era of the 70's. Success was virtually guaranteed and not enough was done to ensure that the success continued. As we've seen in both cases, when you slip it's a long hard road back to anywhere near the top.

Posted By: Sosban bach
Date Posted: 21 August 2017 at 11:36am
Really hope we mange to retain everyone if at all possible. Cubby is amazing and is our out and out 7 does everything we need. Barclay has filled in at 8 and brings so much to the boys he really is priceless, he did say a while back he wanted his kids to be taught in Scotland but has since said they love Welsh and being taught it means he has to ask Ken etc to translate some of it for him. Good chance he might want to carry on with us plus since being with us he's regained his place with Scotland and become captain. It's all money but with the saffa 500k I'm hoping that'll go towards keeping our team together and carry on developing from within. Can't wait for the first league game and I don't think the coaches will let anyone become complacent. We were down as 40/1 to win the ecc since hp we are at 33/1 start getting the bets in boys

Date Posted: 21 August 2017 at 3:25pm

I think a lot of the casual rugby public who regard the Ospreys as the strongest team are going to have a huge wake up call this season, as are a lot of people who go to watch them but don't follow behind the scenes stuff too closely.

I can see them struggling massively this year. Their pack, apart from AWJ and Tips is at best adequate and they have very little cutting edge behind. 

I have heard rumours that they are content to just survive until the new RSA, hoping we'll bleed ourselves dry trying to remain competitive.

Blues have San Pedro writing/ not writing the cheques, and the rationality there is questionable at best lately. I feel they're desperate for the land deal so Pete can get some/ all of his money back and move out of the way.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 August 2017 at 9:09pm
Ospreys will still be a formidable force in the Pro 12, but their European pool is a nightmare, and I shall be highly surprised if they win more than two matches.  Blues will be a middling force in the Pro 12 again, but they could do well in the Challenge Cup, at least depending on the degree to which Toulouse (who are in their pool) take it seriously.  As for the Dragons, the change of management, new pitch and the resurrection of Gavin Henson may finally inject new life into them, though we shouldn't hold our breath. Now, for the Scarlets to do the Pro 14/European double...

N.B. Not even Leinster or Munster have won the Pro 12 and European Champions Cup in the same year, although the former did win both the Pro 12 and Challenge Cup in 2013.

Date Posted: 21 August 2017 at 9:16pm
Re the Ospreys v Bath: I agree they were poo, especially in the set-piece, but then a big mitigating factor is that, for whatever reason, Tandy selected a squad with around 40% of it made up of academy players, who faced what was actually quite an experienced Bath side (it had Rokoduguni, Priestland, Charteris...) The Ospreys defence was, relatively speaking, quite good, and I really dread to think what a Blues or Dragons squad with 40% academy players would have been like against that Bath outfit.  (In all seriousness, I doubt even a Saracens or Clermont team with so many academy players would have beaten them).

Posted By: SospanMawr
Date Posted: 21 August 2017 at 9:32pm

Re the Ospreys v Bath: I agree they were poo, especially in the set-piece, but then a big mitigating factor is that, for whatever reason, Tandy selected a squad with around 40% of it made up of academy players, who faced what was actually quite an experienced Bath side (it had Rokoduguni, Priestland, Charteris...) The Ospreys defence was, relatively speaking, quite good, and I really dread to think what a Blues or Dragons squad with 40% academy players would have been like against that Bath outfit.  (In all seriousness, I doubt even a Saracens or Clermont team with so many academy players would have beaten them).
Don't see what relevance this has to the thread really.

Posted By: LLANDRE
Date Posted: 21 August 2017 at 9:34pm
Neither do I . We have a section for general rugby . The Ospreys should be discussed in that.

-------------
West is Best (Fin gwybod)

Date Posted: 21 August 2017 at 10:26pm

Yes the Ospreys have world class talent waiting in the wings and are the best side in the world now will you just fxxx off and leave us alone to discuss our players who are due to renew contracts.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 August 2017 at 10:40pm
Our management team looks really superior to the other regions.  We are moving forward, whereas...

Date Posted: 21 August 2017 at 10:45pm
I do hope that at least Scott Williams and Rob Evans get NDCs.  Others are more debatable.

Date Posted: 21 August 2017 at 10:59pm
Better off paying our own way for rob and I'm sure it's been mentioned Scott won't be offered one either. These ndcs aren't really worth it unless it's a big money earner.

Date Posted: 21 August 2017 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by Sosban bach Sosban bach wrote:

Better off paying our own way for rob and I'm sure it's been mentioned Scott won't be offered one either. These ndcs aren't really worth it unless it's a big money earner.

Which both players are, especially Scott.

Date Posted: 22 August 2017 at 5:52am

and you know this how?

-------------

Date Posted: 22 August 2017 at 11:27am

Well done Wasp !!! Beat me to it by 1 second !!!!!
Fair enough, just remember the old interview so maybe he has had a change of heart but he definitely did state it once about Scottish education.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 August 2017 at 11:39am

Have you forgotten what happened last time he was offered an ndc?

Posted By: scarletman
Date Posted: 23 August 2017 at 10:31am
Originally posted by Scarlet O'Hara Scarlet O'Hara wrote:

I've also read (sorry can't remember where) that Easterby had said that Cubby was the player to watch, which would suggest that was not the case. 
I seem to remember Cubby was advised to add a bit of weight the season before he joined the Scarlets.  

It was actually Wayne Pivac when Cubby asked why he wasn't being given "a shot", WP gave him 6 weeks to put on 3kg, Cubs did it in 3 weeks then WP true to his word, brought him on off the bench the following home game ! 

-------------
Herman Tours ... Still the best way to travel !

Date Posted: 23 August 2017 at 10:38am
Originally posted by scarletman scarletman wrote:

It was actually Wayne Pivac when Cubby asked why he wasn't being given "a shot", WP gave him 6 weeks to put on 3kg, Cubs did it in 3 weeks then WP true to his word, brought him on off the bench the following home game ! 

Good man management that. Seems like we're getting a lot of things right  atm.

Totally different to what I've heard how young guys are treated at the Blues !!!!!

Posted By: Scarlet O'Hara
Date Posted: 23 August 2017 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by scarletman scarletman wrote:

Easy I could put 3kg in three weeks, just more cake and wine...

Posted By: PE SA
Date Posted: 23 August 2017 at 11:02pm
I thought it was Simon Easterby that got Cubby into they squad and had a season training full time with squad and bulking up.
Easterby spoke extremely highly bout him to one of the Irish sky punditsfew seasons ago. (Can't remember which one).
But cubby was man of the match v one of the top dogs of Europe and the Irish pundit stated "Simon Easterby spoke to me about this last year, watch this lad come through, he's been on the 7s circuit, but now full time in 15aside game"- or wordsof that effect.
Pivac seems to have involved him and he's become a key figure.

It was under Easterby Cubby signed a deal with the squad, a year into that deal then, Pivac gave him the chance and he's been ever present since.

Posted By: aber-fan
Date Posted: 25 August 2017 at 3:38pm
Lots of interesting points....

First of all, it doesn't seem all that long ago that we (me, anyway) were moaning about how long it took the Scarlets' management to sort out their recruitment and retention for the following season - we seemed, sometimes, to lose players by prevaricating, and end up signing stop-gaps instead of canny recruits. This seems like night and day - the current regime really seem to have their heads screwed on right. Long may it continue!

Secondly - Cubby: we absolutely love him at y Sgarlets, and it would be a real shame if he left. If Wales continue to ignore him, I don't think anyone would blame him for looking for a big pay-day elsewhere, though. Let's hope it doesn't happen - he's not only a great player, but a real character who lightens the mood whenever he plays.

Thirdly - the back row in general is a real area of strength (though the squad has few, if any, weaknesses at the moment)... Barclay is a superb pro and an example to the youngsters... let's hope he stays, but can we keep all the talent happy? We'll see - it won't be easy.

I am hugely encouraged to read that Pivac and the rest are already trying to sort out contracts for next season. The only downside I can see is that it might be damaging to tell X or Y that they are being let go, too early... it might damage morale. That sort of thing will need very careful handling and man-management.

-------------
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)

Posted By: ScarletBear
Date Posted: 04 October 2017 at 8:22pm
Think we will lose Aled to the Os now that Webb is off to Tulon.

Posted By: 157cb
Date Posted: 04 October 2017 at 8:30pm
[QUOTE=ScarletBear]Think we will lose Aled to the Os now that Webb is off to Tulon.[/QUOTE

He would be crazy to go there .

Date Posted: 04 October 2017 at 8:43pm
Rhodri Williams is out of contract with Bristol this year.

-------------

Posted By: hoppy
Date Posted: 04 October 2017 at 9:10pm
Ospreys fans on their forum saying Scarlets have signed Ross Moriart\y
For next season

Date Posted: 04 October 2017 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by hoppy hoppy wrote:

For next season

Where is their forum?

-------------

Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 04 October 2017 at 10:53pm
It's unrealistic to think we can expect Aled to play second fiddle again at this stage in his career and we haveJonathan Evans as well. Aled will be looking for a starting position.

-------------
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook

Date Posted: 05 October 2017 at 12:31am
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

It's unrealistic to think we can expect Aled to play second fiddle again at this stage in his career and we haveJonathan Evans as well. Aled will be looking for a starting position.
Don't forget the big exodus is coming at Cardiff. There'll be a lot of players looking for the exit if my hunch is right. Might be a buyer's market temporarily

-------------

Date Posted: 05 October 2017 at 1:28am

Don't forget the big exodus is coming at Cardiff. There'll be a lot of players looking for the exit if my hunch is right. Might be a buyer's market temporarily

A couple of good back row forwards and that's about it?

Date Posted: 05 October 2017 at 1:29am

For next season

Where is their forum?

Would be a good replacement for Barclay, if he elects to leave.

Posted By: ScarletBear
Date Posted: 05 October 2017 at 2:37am

Warbs and Ellis Jenkins. What about Dillon Lewis and Willis Halaholo maybe?

Date Posted: 05 October 2017 at 5:00am
Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

Warbs and Ellis Jenkins. What about Dillon Lewis and Willis Halaholo maybe?

Seb Davies could fit also

Date Posted: 05 October 2017 at 10:11am
Wouldn't touch Warburton - he's an injury waiting to happen & we have the best 7 in the Uk already. Seb Davies now your talking. Enormous potential in the right hands.

Posted By: Dai38
Date Posted: 05 October 2017 at 11:35am
I was told Aled or Cawdor will not be with us next year, if Moriarty comes then I believe one of the younger back row players will go.

I do hope that Cubby will stay, BUT if there is a wonderful offer on the table, he could well be tempted.

Wayne has already mentioned that the management know the players they want to keep, and will work with them to agree a new contract.

He has players in mind to replace Tadgh.

One thing for certain I can see some 6-7 months of rumours, speculation, guess work and nonsense on the site.......interesting.

-------------
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!

Date Posted: 05 October 2017 at 11:47am

Wouldn't touch Warburton - he's an injury waiting to happen & we have the best 7 in the Uk already. Seb Davies now your talking. Enormous potential in the right hands.
Warburton's the best 7 in the UK

-------------

Posted By: hoppy
Date Posted: 05 October 2017 at 12:01pm

For next season

Where is their forum?

Just to rub salt in the wound my ketchup at the Scarlets said there are rumours that they have signed Moriarty for next season and they are looking at Seb Davies (Blues) to replace Beirne. They may rest some players for Saturday to concentrate on the Toulon game. Where is all this money coming from?

Ospreys are after Seb Davies as well

Posted By: ScarletSpiderman
Date Posted: 05 October 2017 at 12:01pm

Warburton would just make it into the best three opensides playing in Wales for me.  He is a handy, across the backrow type player, like Robshaw but isn't an openside in the same way Ellis, Tipuric, Cubby or Boyde are.

Date Posted: 05 October 2017 at 12:02pm

For next season

Where is their forum?

Would be a good replacement for Barclay, if he elects to leave.
Lots of talk around Gloucester that he is going and that we are the favoured destination but the money mentioned is huge (NDC split helps) so we would need to shed some. Unless of course an American and German team joins and then there will be extra revenue to spread around plus the new TV deal.

-------------

Date Posted: 05 October 2017 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by ScarletSpiderman ScarletSpiderman wrote:

Warburton would just make it into the best three opensides playing in Wales for me.  He is a handy, across the backrow type player, like Robshaw but isn't an openside in the same way Ellis, Tipuric, Cubby or Boyde are.
Warburton's a test Lion and has been world class for Wales and the Lions. Obviously his injury record isn't ideal and has held him back somewhat, but he's reached levels that those three haven't reached. Wales will really miss him in the Autumn

-------------

Posted By: ScarletSpiderman
Date Posted: 05 October 2017 at 12:17pm

Originally posted by ScarletSpiderman ScarletSpiderman wrote:

Warburton's a test Lion and has been world class for Wales and the Lions. Obviously his injury record isn't ideal and has held him back somewhat, but he's reached levels that those three haven't reached. Wales will really miss him in the Autumn

Robshaw has also reached levels higher than the same three players, whilst wearing a 7 on his back.

Warburton has a hell of a career, and if he can manage to keep going, he will probably pick up a few more acolades too.  He fits in well with the type of openside Gatland seems to want to use.  However, he is not as good at jackling as Boyde or Cubby IMO, and then in the open feild link up play I do not believe he is as good as Tips or Jenkins (or Cubby again).  So when I think openside I think either Jackiling or Linkman, and there are better option for both types.

Posted By: Ffidel Bennett
Date Posted: 05 October 2017 at 12:22pm

Again that's just your opinion. Just because Gatland also thinks so it doesn't make it a fact. For the type of game the Scarlets are playing I think Cubby is a much better option and when fit Warburton plays more like a traditional 6. 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2015 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk