Forum Description: Other rugby chat
URL: https://scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=43602
Printed Date: 28 March 2024 at 6:43pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Cardiff Blues
Posted By: GPR - Rochester
Subject: Cardiff Blues
Date Posted: 09 September 2017 at 9:58am
How long do we give Danny? Shortage of money may be his saviour. With some tough games coming up it is quite feasible they could be zero from 5. That would all but end hopes of making the play-offs/Champions Cup this season. 

I have often criticised the fact that they don't seem to bring through an apparent abundance of under 20's talent but now they seem to have gone the other way. With two front line tight heads injured they allow an experienced International to join Bath on loan and use a 20 & 21 year old against Cian Heay & Co. Talk about the sublime to the ridiculous. They are in desperate need of some clear thinking among the management group. 

I also note that the wonder boy centre of the Aviva last year - Jack Roberts - has not featured yet while his predecessor was getting MOM for the Ospreys last weekend. 

Replies:
Posted By: PE SA
Date Posted: 09 September 2017 at 11:31am
The side Blues have under Wilson IMO should be doing a damn site better. 
I am not convinced about Wilson as a head coach. He has a decent squad but you are right they have gone from one extreme to the other with regards to their u020. To me, they have recruited badly, and let better players go. Patchell, Cory Allen - both of who are Cardiff lads. George Earl another - I liked him with us, but Wilson knew full well his injury issues, and still signed him. Then the whole Van der Merwe fiasco in the summer. 

Wilson did wonders with our young pack as the laws of the scrums changed. He hardly managed to get anythin great out of a very strong pack in the championship in England, before heading into a head coach role at the capital. Too much too soon perhaps? is he more suited to be a forwards coach and nothing more? 
He may also lack experience around him as well which is why Edwards is now there once or twice a week. 

I wouldnt be surprised to see him walk if results like this continue.
The side just seem to be clueless. not drilled at all. They seem to run out of ideas quickly and thats not good at all. It will be very interesting when they meet the Welsh regions. 

Posted By: scarletnut
Date Posted: 09 September 2017 at 11:33am
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

I am not convinced about Wilson as a head coach. He has a decent squad but you are right they have gone from one extreme to the other with regards to their u020. To me, they have recruited badly, and let better players go. Patchell, Cory Allen - both of who are Cardiff lads. George Earl another - I liked him with us, but Wilson knew full well his injury issues, and still signed him. Then the whole Van der Merwe fiasco in the summer. 

Wilson did wonders with our young pack as the laws of the scrums changed. He hardly managed to get anythin great out of a very strong pack in the championship in England, before heading into a head coach role at the capital. Too much too soon perhaps? is he more suited to be a forwards coach and nothing more? 
He may also lack experience around him as well which is why Edwards is now there once or twice a week. 

The side just seem to be clueless. not drilled at all. They seem to run out of ideas quickly and thats not good at all. It will be very interesting when they meet the Welsh regions. 
They didn't leave Patchell and Allen go they chose to go

-------------
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1

Date Posted: 09 September 2017 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

They didn't leave Patchell and Allen go they chose to go

Forced to leave.
Patchell wanted to play 10, Wilson reluctant.
Allen wanted to play, Wilson reluctant.

Posted By: aber-fan
Date Posted: 09 September 2017 at 1:21pm
Blues put up decent resistance last night until the last 15 min, when they caved in completely. I hoped they'd at least deny Leinster a BP, but it wasn't to be. 

Leinster were clearly the better team, but made heavy weather of the game - tries from a rolling maul, cross kick, ball dropped by Blues (how on earth was the replacement hooker able to run in a try from 45 yards?) and a late try when the Blues had given up on tackling... so Leinster were some way off their best, too.

Blues have been a bit of a mess for years, and with the Pieman asking to be taken over by the WRU recently, presumably their financial situation is rather precarious, too.

-------------
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)

Posted By: roy munster
Date Posted: 09 September 2017 at 1:25pm
Gives me no pleasure to see them looking so bad. They should be a world class region. Sadly they are a shambles. The most worrying thing for me is the lack of talent coming through there in the past decade. Yes theyve had the odd patchell cory allen. But even they left. The lack of talent and development there is shocking. They seem to cling on to players like moitika and filse too long and recruit aging stars like nick williams, perhaps at the detriment of developing new talent in those positions

-------------
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)

Date Posted: 09 September 2017 at 1:41pm
Yes none of us should take pleasure in seeing any region struggle. We need all regions to contribute to the Welsh cause for us to have any hope of success. From a very selfish point of view I don't want to see the Scarlets further handicapped than they already are during the International windows. 

Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 09 September 2017 at 2:30pm
They have plenty of talent, albeit they have a really challenging first 5 games ( which makes the Edinburgh loss so much more painful for them).
I'd expect them to pull things up through October.

What can un-hinge them is the owners and their willingness to fund things sensibly. Letting the SA lock go without a game and then letting Scott Andrews out on loan is surely just a sign of the owners pulling up.

I'm a great fan of 30+ forwards in the pack, not necessarily a pack of 30+ forwards

Posted By: Why
Date Posted: 09 September 2017 at 4:55pm
Time for Blues and Drags to merge they bring very little to table in respect of developing talent it would give us more money you would have three strong regions. Both teams an embarrassment in league and have been for some time

-------------
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.

Date Posted: 09 September 2017 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

Time for Blues and Drags to merge they bring very little to table in respect of developing talent it would give us more money you would have three strong regions. Both teams an embarrassment in league and have been for some time

They develop quite a few in fairness. Ellis Jenkins, Dillon Lewis, Jarred Evans, Seb Davies, Rhun Williams, Tomos Williams the most recent prospects and before then there was Kristian Dacey, Cory Allen, plus Warburton, Lloyd Williams, Halfpenny.
They do develop but for whatever reason, in what is his 3rd season, I can't see blues making any progress under Wilson.

Posted By: salmidach
Date Posted: 09 September 2017 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

Not the answer, country requires 4 teams, look how long it's taken Scotland to recover since the removal of the Borders.

-------------
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance - Terry Pratchett

Posted By: BlackwoodScarlet
Date Posted: 09 September 2017 at 6:06pm
All brought on by they're own arrogance

-------------
If it bleeds we can can kill it

Date Posted: 09 September 2017 at 6:11pm
Would rather have three competetive teams than the situation now. the regions are there for the good of the Nationsl team as long as I can remember the blues and Dragons have not pulled weight and are a burden on us and O"s. Isn't it time we said enough is enough share the money three ways and be competetive. We could afford to keep all best players in Wales have three teams in CC no point throwing good money after bad.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 September 2017 at 6:21pm
Remember we have also had bad years when blues went on to lift the European Trophy. Not the main trophy no, but that gave us a lifeline and we managed to wualify for Europe because of their success. That side has come to an end and they have not yet built a side since. Call it lack of money, lack of know how by coaches since young, call it whatever...we need to realise that there will be, has been, barron years in the production line where nobody makes the grade. We have gone through what the blues are going through. We shouldn't forget that. I'm seeing Ospreys heading in the same way to be honest, so this is perfect time for blues to blood their young guns now to stand them in good stead for the future. It's the capital region, there will always be a region there, with or without pies. They will be as competitive as they once were again too.

Swings and roundabouts.

Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 09 September 2017 at 6:37pm
I do agree that the Blues need a change of leadership. Despite his detractors Pies has put a lot of dosh in to the Blues down the years, but that investment weighs on him these days.

Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 09 September 2017 at 7:07pm
Yet today we see the new man in the Dragons talking of them being best Region in Wales in 5 years and standing next to WRU CEO Martyn Phillips? What's going on?  

Posted By: SospanMawr
Date Posted: 10 September 2017 at 7:10pm
%20" rel="nofollow - https://www.ultimaterugby.com/news/guest-blogger:-cardiff-blues-young-players-to-watch/598475
An article here on the Blues' "u23 team" as it was. Is it the most well rounded team in terms of talent in Wales?
I do think we have some superb talent of course. I just think the Blues could put out the best full team.

Posted By: Dafen Boy
Date Posted: 11 September 2017 at 3:36am
Might as well start them all soon, as they can't be any worse than failed 40 year old props

Date Posted: 11 September 2017 at 11:05am
Originally posted by Dafen Boy Dafen Boy wrote:

Might as well start them all soon, as they can't be any worse than failed 40 year old props

Totally agree. This is their failure in the past few years they simply havent given youth a chance. Its almosgt the exact opposite to the scarlets approach and getting virtually the opposite results. With this mindless approach there is no light at the end of the tunnel for cardiff fans. I would also add their treatment of patchell was bonkers.

-------------

Posted By: ap sior
Date Posted: 11 September 2017 at 11:32am
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Totally agree. This is their failure in the past few years they simply havent given youth a chance. Its almosgt the exact opposite to the scarlets approach and getting virtually the opposite results. With this mindless approach there is no light at the end of the tunnel for cardiff fans. I would also add their treatment of patchell was bonkers.

Is this entirely fair ??

Ellis Jenkins, Tomos Williams, Jared Davies, Rhun Williams, Kristian Dacey, Seb Davies, Macauley Cook, Dillon Lewis.

Depending on how far back you go, you could also include Tom James, Cuthbert, Cory Allen, Josh Navidi, Sam Warburton and Lloyd Williams.

Date Posted: 11 September 2017 at 11:36am
Average age of blues pack with a 21 year old second row for Edin game 31 plus Scarlets pack average age just about 27 speaks volumes.
When you add to the fact that none of that pack would get into our first eight it's even worse no problem with age if they good enough old or young.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 September 2017 at 11:43am
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

Is this entirely fair ??

Ellis Jenkins, Tomos Williams, Jared Davies, Rhun Williams, Kristian Dacey, Seb Davies, Macauley Cook, Dillon Lewis.

Depending on how far back you go, you could also include Tom James, Cuthbert, Cory Allen, Josh Navidi, Sam Warburton and Lloyd Williams.

Youre going back a long way on navidi,warbs,james...Dacey ok cook ok, the rest havent had a great chance and theyve stuck with playing older NWQ for donkeys years in several positions. Theyve failed to transition enough players through

-------------

Date Posted: 11 September 2017 at 12:11pm

Is this entirely fair ??

Youre going back a long way on navidi,warbs,james...Dacey ok cook ok, the rest havent had a great chance and theyve stuck with playing older NWQ for donkeys years in several positions. Theyve failed to transition enough players through

Quite so - Blues seem to have preferred to buy average SH players rather than trust their own... how come they allowed Cory Allen go to the Os, or Patchell to join us? Very poor. 

The Scarlets, by contrast, could easily field a very strong XV of players developed by the region - and mainly from the region at that. Recently, too, SH signings have been of excellent quality - Parkes and McNicholl especially, and Asquith looks promising. Blues need to pick up their game in allowing home-grown talent to flourish.

-------------
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)

Posted By: ap sior
Date Posted: 11 September 2017 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Is this entirely fair ??

Quite so - Blues seem to have preferred to buy average SH players rather than trust their own... how come they allowed Cory Allen go to the Os, or Patchell to join us? Very poor. 

The Scarlets, by contrast, could easily field a very strong XV of players developed by the region - and mainly from the region at that. Recently, too, SH signings have been of excellent quality - Parkes and McNicholl especially, and Asquith looks promising. Blues need to pick up their game in allowing home-grown talent to flourish.

2 games in to the new season I'd also add Bullbring and Kreuger to that list. Bullbring played well in Zebre and Kreuger managed 2 t/o's against the Southern Kings.

Date Posted: 11 September 2017 at 2:09pm
Bulbring looks a better player this season and to be fair to Kruger he has been Mr Reliable since he joined us. His defensive work and work at the breakdown is top drawer and his work at driving lineouts both in attack & defence is priceless. He is a strong square bugger with a typical SA attitude. 

Date Posted: 11 September 2017 at 4:25pm

Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Is this entirely fair ??

2 games in to the new season I'd also add Bullbring and Kreuger to that list. Bullbring played well in Zebre and Kreuger managed 2 t/o's against the Southern Kings.

Yes, fair comment - I was thinking of the high-profile players (backs) - as an old prop, I should know better!

-------------

Posted By: NobbySosban
Date Posted: 12 September 2017 at 11:02am
Cardiff fielded Matthew Rees, Damian Welch, Josh Turnbull, Steve Shingler and Kirby Myhill in their 23 last weekend - Scarlets squad fixtures in their day, but all casualties of competition for places who found refuge in the capital.

Releasing their main summer signing before he'd even played a game will have sent out some message to the squad. The problems at CAP run much deeper than the playing or coaching squad - pivotal few months for them off the field existentially, but perhaps it's no wonder that they're in a malaise on the pitch too.

Posted By: najbritcol
Date Posted: 12 September 2017 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by NobbySosban NobbySosban wrote:

Cardiff fielded Matthew Rees, Damian Welch, Josh Turnbull, Steve Shingler and Kirby Myhill in their 23 last weekend - Scarlets squad fixtures in their day, but all casualties of competition for places who found refuge in the capital.

Releasing their main summer signing before he'd even played a game will have sent out some message to the squad. The problems at CAP run much deeper than the playing or coaching squad - pivotal few months for them off the field existentially, but perhaps it's no wonder that they're in a malaise on the pitch too.

Yes and Sion Bennett has featured for them a lot lately also.

Posted By: Rob o'r Bont
Date Posted: 15 September 2017 at 1:43pm
I had a 'Wish you were here'  postcard from Cardiff Blues this morning. Smile

It said "We noticed that you are yet to return to us...... come and help make Cardiff Arms Park a Fortress this year......."

I must be on their system as I bought a ticket for one of our Christmas games direct from their office in Cardiff. - that was over 5 years ago. Shocked

-------------
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.

Posted By: Dafen Boy
Date Posted: 15 September 2017 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

It said "We noticed that you are yet to return to us...... come and help make Cardiff Arms Park a Fortress this year......."

I must be on their system as I bought a ticket for one of our Christmas games direct from their office in Cardiff. - that was over 5 years ago. Shocked

Your are on the list now, Rob, and they my have released you credit card details Evil Smile

Posted By: Eastern outpost
Date Posted: 15 September 2017 at 3:08pm

Wasn't signed by Judith Chalmers was it?

Good TV prog from its time.

-------------
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.

Posted By: Ffidel Bennett
Date Posted: 15 September 2017 at 3:37pm

Me too. An English-only postcard that's under the deluded  impression that I once supported them and even more implausible -"that they are in for an exciting season". 

Date Posted: 15 September 2017 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

Me too. An English-only postcard that's under the deluded  impression that I once supported them and even more implausible -"that they are in for an exciting season". 

Replace 'exciting' with 'interesting', and they may have a point!

-------------

Date Posted: 15 September 2017 at 4:10pm
That's stalking

-------------

Date Posted: 15 September 2017 at 4:14pm
It's good marketing though. Yes Rob may not be interested but there might be plenty of people who don't support any other regions who will consider it.

Posted By: SA14
Date Posted: 15 September 2017 at 4:34pm
Disappointed in this thread. I thought the first post was going to be

Are poo

Posted By: Ffidel Bennett
Date Posted: 15 September 2017 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

It's good marketing though. Yes Rob may not be interested but there might be plenty of people who don't support any other regions who will consider it.

But there's no offer of a reduction or an introductory (sorry "welcome back" offer).
The Blues should have a captive audience, with so many students and civil-servants moving in from other parts of the country and also being the most convenient region to watch while partners are out shopping etc. Yet they alienate a substantial number immediately by not even having a bi-lingual card, or a reduction.

Date Posted: 15 September 2017 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

But there's no offer of a reduction or an introductory (sorry "welcome back" offer).
The Blues should have a captive audience, with so many students and civil-servants moving in from other parts of the country and also being the most convenient region to watch while partners are out shopping etc. Yet they alienate a substantial number immediately by not even having a bi-lingual card, or a reduction.
I agree, but just because they don't doesn't mean sending a card to remind of their presence to anyone who's bought tickets from them in the last X years isn't bad marketing.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net