Forum Description: Team News, Season Tickets, Next Match
URL: http://www.scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=43612
Printed Date: 24 September 2017 at 4:47pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Team for Ulster
Posted By: 157cb
Subject: Team for Ulster
Date Posted: 10 September 2017 at 8:50pm
Halfpenny,McNicholl,Foxy,Scott,Steff,Rhys,Cawdor,Rob,Ken,Samson,Jake,Tadgh,Shings,Wil and Barclay.
   subs,Asquith,Parkes,Aled,Wyn,Ryan,Werner,Bulbring and Macleod

Replies:
Posted By: SospanMawr
Date Posted: 10 September 2017 at 9:52pm
Like the look of that however I might be tempted to bench Foxy and Ken for Parkes and Elias so they can come on and secure the win/bring a boost.

Posted By: Dafen Boy
Date Posted: 11 September 2017 at 2:08am
I agree....Hope John Barclay is fit

Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 11 September 2017 at 8:18am
Cant see any way that Foxy and Ken will start.

Posted By: greypower1
Date Posted: 11 September 2017 at 9:16am
Nor should they start. They will need to earn their places over the next few weeks

-------------
Keep the faith

Posted By: GPR - Rochester
Date Posted: 11 September 2017 at 9:23am
Think the only change will be Halfpenny to FB with Jonny to wing & Grabham missing out on the 23. Can see Foxy & Ken coming back into the 23 for Edinburgh home.

Posted By: kcreg
Date Posted: 11 September 2017 at 9:25am
got a funny feeling Barclay could be out for a few weeks mind.

-------------
I WAS THERE-LIBERTY STADIUM 11/9/07 & 26/3/16

OSPREYS 9-SCARLETS 14!
OSPEYS 16-SCARLETS 25!

Posted By: InTheBath
Date Posted: 11 September 2017 at 9:27am
I've seen John Barclay wincing and favouring his shoulder after the latest dangerous clearout/big tackle on him since he's joined us. Hopefully he'll be fine.

Posted By: aber-fan
Date Posted: 11 September 2017 at 9:33am
Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

Halfpenny,McNicholl,Foxy,Scott,Steff,Rhys,Cawdor,Rob,Ken,Samson,Jake,Tadgh,Shings,Wil and Barclay.
   subs,Asquith,Parkes,Aled,Wyn,Ryan,Werner,Bulbring and Macleod

No doubt it'll be something like that - I'd swap 1/2p and McNicholl, and I doubt that Foxy and Ken will start - so they'll probably bench with Parkes and Ryan beginning. If Barclay is out, then Macleod starts - that might be a problem for the bench as we'd be out of 7s, so Phillips or Rawlins (is he fit?). Not much to choose between Aled and Jon Evans at 9 bench, either.

The squad is looking pretty well stocked at the moment, with just a worry over the 7 position if Barclay can't play for a while.

-------------
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)

Posted By: Micro Duck
Date Posted: 11 September 2017 at 9:36am
I can't see Foxy and Ken being thrown straight in for this one. 

-------------
*NEW* KIDS HALFPENNY T SHIRTS
ON SALE NOW

http://llanellitee.spreadshirt.co.uk/" rel="nofollow - http://llanellitee.spreadshirt.co.uk

Posted By: 2ndtimeround
Date Posted: 11 September 2017 at 9:40am
Replacing players who have done nothing wrong is something I believe we will see quite a bit of this season, the coaches have already stated they intend to compete hard on both fronts, that doesn't happen by just having 1 first choice player for each shirt, squad rotation is massive in the game now to ensure players are not burnt out.
This is without doubt the best squad depth I've seen here since Regional rugby started were we have 3 or 4 options in most positions.
Whoever starts in Ulster it's a safe bet we will be very competitive in one of the toughest Stadiums to visit, let's just hope for dry weather and strong officials that won't be to affected by Ulsters 16th man.

Date Posted: 11 September 2017 at 9:45am
Originally posted by 2ndtimeround 2ndtimeround wrote:

Replacing players who have done nothing wrong is something I believe we will see quite a bit of this season, the coaches have already stated they intend to compete hard on both fronts, that doesn't happen by just having 1 first choice player for each shirt, squad rotation is massive in the game now to ensure players are not burnt out.
This is without doubt the best squad depth I've seen here since Regional rugby started were we have 3 or 4 options in most positions.
Whoever starts in Ulster it's a safe bet we will be very competitive in one of the toughest Stadiums to visit, let's just hope for dry weather and strong officials that won't be to affected by Ulsters 16th man.

And let's just hope competition organisers have had a 'quiet word' with the local TV people, regarding their ability to replay ad nauseam any ambiguous event which may reflect badly on the visitors, whereas they seem to 'lose' all evidence of brutality by the home team. (Nick Williams on Barclay, anyone?)

-------------
(Ivan Turgenev)

Posted By: Ffidel Bennett
Date Posted: 11 September 2017 at 10:08am
I'd go for-
15. Halfpenny
14, Mc Nicholl
13. Scott
12. Parkes
11. Steff
10. Patch
9.   Aled
8.  Barclay
7.  Boyde
6.  Aaron
5.  Beirne
4.  Ball
3. Samson
2. Ryan
1.  Rob
subs Ken, Wyn, Krugger, Bullbring, MacLeod, Cawdor, Asquith, Foxy.

Despite improvements in Cawdor's distribution I still think Aled is the best 9 to get the backs moving. Cawdor is a tremendous try-scoring replacement, with his power pace and acceleration against a tiring opposition. What better combination could you ask for?

Posted By: ap sior
Date Posted: 11 September 2017 at 10:08am
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

And let's just hope competition organisers have had a 'quiet word' with the local TV people, regarding their ability to replay ad nauseam any ambiguous event which may reflect badly on the visitors, whereas they seem to 'lose' all evidence of brutality by the home team. (Nick Williams on Barclay, anyone?)

Nick Williams on A Shingler ? Roger Wilson on Barclay ?

Wilson got a 1 match ban for the punch. A pity that the Welsh ref Whitehouse that night didn't have the balls to give a red for striking an opponent  !!!!!

Date Posted: 11 September 2017 at 11:58am
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

Nick Williams on A Shingler ? Roger Wilson on Barclay ?

Wilson got a 1 match ban for the punch. A pity that the Welsh ref Whitehouse that night didn't have the balls to give a red for striking an opponent  !!!!!

I thought Williams gave Barclay a forearm smash to the face a couple of years ago, conveniently 'lost' by the TV people - but I may be mis-remembering.

-------------
(Ivan Turgenev)

Posted By: Mullsuk
Date Posted: 11 September 2017 at 12:21pm
My understanding is that Ken is available for the trip to Ulster but Foxy will not be considered until the Edinburgh game.

Date Posted: 11 September 2017 at 12:37pm
Full strength for this one, a win here will go a long way to securing the top 3 place in the conference. I read there will be a minutes silence for the 5th anniversary of the Spence family tragedy, it will be an emotional occasion so we'll need to be prepared for that.

Posted By: diego6754
Date Posted: 11 September 2017 at 12:44pm
A lot of calls to be made with niggling injuries and a few Lions coming back. I am happy to say I don't really care which way the calls go because with the quality involved it won't detract from the team either way.

Posted By: Mr Ian
Date Posted: 11 September 2017 at 1:15pm
The best selection in Belfast for the first serious test of the season...Against Edinburgh at home, Pivac can use from the start players not completely fit like Foxy or Ken.

Posted By: Tim Opolis
Date Posted: 11 September 2017 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by InTheBath InTheBath wrote:

I've seen John Barclay wincing and favouring his shoulder after the latest dangerous clearout/big tackle on him since he's joined us. Hopefully he'll be fine.

He's a tough bugger that's for sure, but I do worry about how long he can keep going with his dodgy shoulder. Which does give some concern as to the depth of our back row as we already have one player carrying a serious ailment in Condy and Cubby already out. We need a further back row injury like we need a hole in the head I'd say.

We have Rawlins who can play 6 and Tom Phillips who is showing signs of progress for the RFC. But it ain't half going to put a burden on Wil, Shingler and Josh. Even if Barclay soldiers on he will be away with Scotland.

Aside of the boys mentioned above who else is there? Shaun Evans, is he ready?

-------------
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.

Date Posted: 11 September 2017 at 1:56pm

I would be happy with Foxy and Ken on bench for Friday of course,a massive game this early in the season I feel.

Any news on Rawlins and Condy's fitness ??

Posted By: TheKing
Date Posted: 11 September 2017 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

I'd go for-
15. Halfpenny
14, Mc Nicholl
13. Scott
12. Parkes
11. Steff
10. Patch
9.   Aled
8.  Barclay
7.  Boyde
6.  Aaron
5.  Beirne
4.  Ball
3. Samson
2. Ryan
1.  Rob
subs Ken, Wyn, Krugger, Bullbring, MacLeod, Cawdor, Asquith, Foxy.

Despite improvements in Cawdor's distribution I still think Aled is the best 9 to get the backs moving. Cawdor is a tremendous try-scoring replacement, with his power pace and acceleration against a tiring opposition. What better combination could you ask for?
Wouldn't even have Aled on the bench. Gareth to start and Evans on bench. I feel you're massively underestimating what Gareth brings.

Posted By: greypower1
Date Posted: 11 September 2017 at 3:02pm
Aled is a more rounded scrum half than both Gareth and Johnathon and demonstrated it again on Saturday as well as on tour with Wales in the Summer.

-------------
Keep the faith

Date Posted: 11 September 2017 at 3:09pm
Cawdor keeps defences a little more honest and his passing has looked sharper this year. Aled does have a quicker service but is not a threat to run.

Posted By: ScarletSpiderman
Date Posted: 11 September 2017 at 3:35pm
Personally I would go for the same team that started against the Kings, but with Boyde in for Cubby.  Put Foxy and Ken on the bench, in place of Rhys Jones, and Emyr (and Mcloed on the bench cos Boyde is starting)

Date Posted: 11 September 2017 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by ScarletSpiderman ScarletSpiderman wrote:

Personally I would go for the same team that started against the Kings, but with Boyde in for Cubby.  Put Foxy and Ken on the bench, in place of Rhys Jones, and Emyr (and Mcloed on the bench cos Boyde is starting)

A good choice apart from a couple of things - Rhys Jones at the moment is our back up 10/kicker. I think Asquith has played 10 before but not for us. Don't think we'll see Foxy until Edinburgh as he had the biggest work load of our Lions. 

Date Posted: 11 September 2017 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

A good choice apart from a couple of things - Rhys Jones at the moment is our back up 10/kicker. I think Asquith has played 10 before but not for us. Don't think we'll see Foxy until Edinburgh as he had the biggest work load of our Lions. 

Parkes was our back and 10 for the semi and final last season and did surprisingly well, so he'll do.

Date Posted: 11 September 2017 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by Dafen Boy Dafen Boy wrote:

Cawdor keeps defences a little more honest and his passing has looked sharper this year. Aled does have a quicker service but is not a threat to run.

In the most general way, I'd agree with you - Cawdor is definitely more of a running threat. TBF to Aled, though, he did turn one game single-handedly last season (forget which), including a searing break. He also scored a good try on Sat. by running an intelligent support line - something the whole team has been developing under Stevo, by the look of things. 

We are very lucky indeed to have such strength in depth at 9 (with Jon Evans as well) - or maybe, that's planning and good recruitment and retention! Well done to the coaches and scouts.

-------------
(Ivan Turgenev)

Date Posted: 11 September 2017 at 4:34pm
would like to see the same side as Zebra except Asquith in for Grabham

Date Posted: 11 September 2017 at 4:41pm

In the most general way, I'd agree with you - Cawdor is definitely more of a running threat. TBF to Aled, though, he did turn one game single-handedly last season (forget which), including a searing break. He also scored a good try on Sat. by running an intelligent support line - something the whole team has been developing under Stevo, by the look of things. 

We are very lucky indeed to have such strength in depth at 9 (with Jon Evans as well) - or maybe, that's planning and good recruitment and retention! Well done to the coaches and scouts.

It was the away league match in Munster.

Date Posted: 11 September 2017 at 4:45pm

It was the away league match in Munster.

Thanks.

-------------
(Ivan Turgenev)

Posted By: Exkixu
Date Posted: 11 September 2017 at 5:11pm
Yeah, it was Munster, and I've got a soft spot for Aled but to be honest, at the moment I don't mind which 2 scrumhalves get into the 23 and feel sorry for the one that stays out, so little there is between all 3.

Speaking of which (and a bit out of topic, but) are any of them out of contract at the end of the season?

-------------
1 Xavier Rush   2 Rhys Priestland   3 David Lyons   Cardiff Blues - Scarlets, 26/09/09      

More carries than any of our forwards. Priestland Fan Club Proud Member

Date Posted: 11 September 2017 at 5:41pm

I would be happy with Foxy and Ken on bench for Friday of course,a massive game this early in the season I feel.

Any news on Rawlins and Condy's fitness ??

Nothing on Rawlins but at the Crys event the news on Condy wasnt great. Plays a game and the knee swells up. So he's not going to be able to put a string of games together.

-------------

Posted By: Feverpitch
Date Posted: 11 September 2017 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by Exkixu Exkixu wrote:

Yeah, it was Munster, and I've got a soft spot for Aled but to be honest, at the moment I don't mind which 2 scrumhalves get into the 23 and feel sorry for the one that stays out, so little there is between all 3.

Speaking of which (and a bit out of topic, but) are any of them out of contract at the end of the season?

Interesting point... I believe all three are out of contract at the end of this season, will be a difficult decision to make for Aled and Evans if they are happy behind Cawdor who is first choice at the moment. Also what if Cawdor decides not to renew ?

Date Posted: 11 September 2017 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by TheKing TheKing wrote:

Parkes was our back and 10 for the semi and final last season and did surprisingly well, so he'll do.

Parkes/Asquith to cover fly half. Halfpenny/Patch to goal kick, and Scott/Parkes as emergency kickers.

Also, I even though he hasn't done anything wrong, I struggle to shake memories of Rhys Jones (and Riki Tipuna) during his last stint struggling and looking out of his depth.

Posted By: Sosban bach
Date Posted: 11 September 2017 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by Feverpitch Feverpitch wrote:

Originally posted by Exkixu Exkixu wrote:

Interesting point... I believe all three are out of contract at the end of this season, will be a difficult decision to make for Aled and Evans if they are happy behind Cawdor who is first choice at the moment. Also what if Cawdor decides not to renew ?

Hard to keep them all happy but they can't do wrong with staying here. At least with having 3 we get good rotation and kept them all fighting fit. Money might be the only draw away?

Date Posted: 11 September 2017 at 9:05pm
My worry is Aled leaving for regular games. The situation with Webb at the O's could further complicate matters.

Posted By: welshbenny
Date Posted: 12 September 2017 at 1:32pm

My worry is Aled leaving for regular games. The situation with Webb at the O's could further complicate matters.

One of either Evans or Aled will be at the O's next year I believe. Webb will be off.

Date Posted: 12 September 2017 at 1:37pm
Pivac has stated that Foxy & Ken will be used in the 23 on Friday. 

Date Posted: 12 September 2017 at 1:46pm
Anybody have any news on Barclay?

-------------

Date Posted: 12 September 2017 at 1:51pm

Aled leaving should be the least of our worries, surely. We have 2 good options and if the offer came in i  think it would only be natural if he believes in himself and has ambition.

Posted By: alec_d
Date Posted: 12 September 2017 at 1:58pm
Personally if Barclay is injured,id consider Bernie in the back row with bulbring in to second row to start,price on bench with mc cloud

Date Posted: 12 September 2017 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by Tim Opolis Tim Opolis wrote:

Rob Ic Wales reporting Scarlets going to Ulster fully loaded,Ken and Foxy to return ,only Cubby missing so Barclay must be fit 

Date Posted: 12 September 2017 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by alec_d alec_d wrote:

Personally if Barclay is injured,id consider Bernie in the back row with bulbring in to second row to start,price on bench with mc cloud

I don't think that lessening the mobility like that would suit our game. Mcloud at 8 for me

Posted By: Micro Duck
Date Posted: 12 September 2017 at 3:54pm
Nice quotes from Foxy from today's PC:

During Scarlets training sessions in the days building up to matches, the team that acts as opposition to the side selected is affectionately known as the 'Tesco Team'.

"I wasn't even picked for the Tesco Team last week," joked Davies, who now has six Lions Test appearances to add to his 64 Wales caps.

"I didn't even make that team so I had to go and do fitness on the side with the academy boys, it was a real come down!"

-------------
*NEW* KIDS HALFPENNY T SHIRTS
ON SALE NOW

http://llanellitee.spreadshirt.co.uk/" rel="nofollow - http://llanellitee.spreadshirt.co.uk

Date Posted: 12 September 2017 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by Micro Duck Micro Duck wrote:

During Scarlets training sessions in the days building up to matches, the team that acts as opposition to the side selected is affectionately known as the 'Tesco Team'.

"I wasn't even picked for the Tesco Team last week," joked Davies, who now has six Lions Test appearances to add to his 64 Wales caps.

"I didn't even make that team so I had to go and do fitness on the side with the academy boys, it was a real come down!"

Could have been worse - the Lidl team, or Costcutters!

-------------
(Ivan Turgenev)

Date Posted: 12 September 2017 at 4:38pm

Shows a good sense of humourThumbs Up

Date Posted: 12 September 2017 at 5:02pm

Haven't seen the interview, but seems like there's a lot of humility there too. 

Best No 13 in world rugby having to do fitness training with the academy boys !!!! 

Date Posted: 13 September 2017 at 3:10am

Haven't seen the interview, but seems like there's a lot of humility there too. 

Best No 13 in world rugby having to do fitness training with the academy boys !!!! 

Great role model

Date Posted: 13 September 2017 at 1:28pm

Originally posted by Tim Opolis Tim Opolis wrote:

Rob Ic Wales reporting Scarlets going to Ulster fully loaded,Ken and Foxy to return ,only Cubby missing so Barclay must be fit 

Cheers Pal. He's hell of a warrior.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 September 2017 at 1:33pm
JB is a real warrior and I cannot speak too highly of his contribution to our club.

Posted By: John
Date Posted: 13 September 2017 at 1:47pm

JB is a real warrior and I cannot speak too highly of his contribution to our club.

Quite so... he is a major figure in the turning around of performance.

On another matter, how much more important are matches within your conference than games with teams from the other conference? Obviously we want to win every game we play but with Euro qualification and home draws in the play-offs both decided by conference position, if we lose to Munster and Leinster, Ulster and Edinburgh do as well, then there has been very little damage done. Lose to another top team from our conference and the damage is greater.

Date Posted: 13 September 2017 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by John John wrote:

Quite so... he is a major figure in the turning around of performance.

On another matter, how much more important are matches within your conference than games with teams from the other conference? Obviously we want to win every game we play but with Euro qualification and home draws in the play-offs both decided by conference position, if we lose to Munster and Leinster, Ulster and Edinburgh do as well, then there has been very little damage done. Lose to another top team from our conference and the damage is greater.

True, our results against Leinster and Ulster are hugely important, but all points gained are vital at the end of the season.

-------------

Posted By: Rich (Bris)
Date Posted: 13 September 2017 at 2:20pm
They are all vital but strangely in terms of getting in the playoffs and Europe the matches with Ulster and more important than the matches against ospreys - if we lose to Ulster then not only do we get 0 points (if no bonus points) but one of our competitors in our conference gets 4 or 5 points whereas if we lose to Ospreys nobody in our conference gets any points. I doubt it will affect team selection for Ospreys but I can imagine that this aspect will influence team selection during the course of the year.

Date Posted: 13 September 2017 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by Rich (Bris) Rich (Bris) wrote:

They are all vital but strangely in terms of getting in the playoffs and Europe the matches with Ulster and more important than the matches against ospreys - if we lose to Ulster then not only do we get 0 points (if no bonus points) but one of our competitors in our conference gets 4 or 5 points whereas if we lose to Ospreys nobody in our conference gets any points. I doubt it will affect team selection for Ospreys but I can imagine that this aspect will influence team selection during the course of the year.

I agree to an extent, but if we go to the O's with a weakened side and lose, and Ulster and Leinster go fully loaded and get winning BP's then we will have lost ground. Depending on results and league standings, then I can see that we may adopt this attitude in the final game against NGD. However, don't forget that Leinster have already got 5pts at Rodney Parade.

Date Posted: 13 September 2017 at 3:05pm
I suppose the kind of thing I meant is, using a fictitious easy example, that if we had Ulster away one week followed by Ospreys away and there was a need to rest a couple of our big players for one of those matches then in the past we would have rested them for the Ulster match but this season the sensible thing to do in many ways would be to rest them for the Ospreys game - this won't just be affecting us of course it's something all teams will need to consider potentially.

Date Posted: 13 September 2017 at 3:25pm

I suppose the kind of thing I meant is, using a fictitious easy example, that if we had Ulster away one week followed by Ospreys away and there was a need to rest a couple of our big players for one of those matches then in the past we would have rested them for the Ulster match but this season the sensible thing to do in many ways would be to rest them for the Ospreys game - this won't just be affecting us of course it's something all teams will need to consider potentially.

Best way of looking as games against teams in our conference have 7pts to play for (+4pts win, +1pt bonus point for us, and then the opposition 1pt try bonus point, and 1pt losing bonus point), where as games against he other conderence have 5pts up for grabs (win & try bp)

Date Posted: 13 September 2017 at 4:47pm
Or a win and try bonus point against a team in our conference with no bonus points for them means we are Plus 5 on them whereas if they beat us with a try bonus point and we get nothing then that is a minus 5 difference (if get my drift) so they can actually be looked at as 10 point games.

Posted By: supertaf
Date Posted: 13 September 2017 at 5:23pm
The way the Ospreys looked against Glasgow, I think it's them that need to worry about the game more than us imho.

-------------
Scarlets - Pro 12 Champions 2017

Date Posted: 13 September 2017 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by welshbenny welshbenny wrote:

One of either Evans or Aled will be at the O's next year I believe. Webb will be off.
I would rather rotate for us than play for the Ospreys... LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 13 September 2017 at 5:26pm

Originally posted by TheKing TheKing wrote:

Parkes/Asquith to cover fly half. Halfpenny/Patch to goal kick, and Scott/Parkes as emergency kickers.

Also, I even though he hasn't done anything wrong, I struggle to shake memories of Rhys Jones (and Riki Tipuna) during his last stint struggling and looking out of his depth.

Is Dan Jones injured?

-------------

Date Posted: 13 September 2017 at 5:35pm

Aye, but if we dont beat the Ospreys and Ulster do then they pick up points on us. Every game is important, I cant see selection being affected by conference splits. Champions Cup may affect selection this year though, Pivac has said as much.

-------------

Posted By: Wasp
Date Posted: 13 September 2017 at 5:53pm
Let's just beat them all. Keep it simple

-------------
Supporter of the evil region against the gallant union

Date Posted: 13 September 2017 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

Let's just beat them all. Keep it simple

A home semi final would be fantastic.

-------------

Posted By: multinational
Date Posted: 13 September 2017 at 6:31pm
I have a couple of concerns with the conferences:

Some teams, when facing a loss to a team not in their own conference, have little to play for at the end of the game because giving away a 4 point loss or a 5 point loss will only ultimately lose them points difference. This may see teams giving up at the end of games rather than fighting for whatever they can get.

The protected derby games, as pleased as I am to keep them, are unbalanced. Glasgow playing Edinburgh a few times would appear to be easier games than us playing the ospreys twice for example.

Just some observations

-------------
History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again.

Date Posted: 13 September 2017 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by multinational multinational wrote:

Some teams, when facing a loss to a team not in their own conference, have little to play for at the end of the game because giving away a 4 point loss or a 5 point loss will only ultimately lose them points difference. This may see teams giving up at the end of games rather than fighting for whatever they can get.

The protected derby games, as pleased as I am to keep them, are unbalanced. Glasgow playing Edinburgh a few times would appear to be easier games than us playing the ospreys twice for example.

Just some observations

Glasgow only won the 1872 Cup last season by a 2 point aggregate score. Edinburgh seem a tougher proposition this season.

Posted By: multinational
Date Posted: 13 September 2017 at 6:50pm

Originally posted by multinational multinational wrote:

Just some observations

Glasgow only won the 1872 Cup last season by a 2 point aggregate score. Edinburgh seem a tougher proposition this season.

A poor example then. Zebre playing treviso several times...

-------------
History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again.

Date Posted: 14 September 2017 at 12:38am
It's an awful league, and it's going to get worse with German and US teams of questionable provenance. But it's all we got.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 September 2017 at 2:41am

It's an awful league, and it's going to get worse with German and US teams of questionable provenance. But it's all we got.

Speaking from experience, the US teams have no provenance..Embarrassed

However, I believe the Saracens are playing in Philadelphia this weekend. Interesting to see how big the crowd is....up against College Football or the NFL...tough one, especially with little betting

Date Posted: 14 September 2017 at 8:08am

Moaning about structure isn't going to get us anywhere. What matters more is the quality of rugby on offer - and Scarlets supporters, at least, have nothing to complain about in that regard over the last few months!

Consider the NFL in the USA - that is anything but an 'all-play-all' league, but it is immensely popular, presumably because it's had time to bed in the system to the point where the supporters accept it.

You might as well moan about the fact that the championship is now decided by a play-off system, rather than simply awarding it to the team with the most points at the end of the regular season... something I was initially unhappy about, but I've changed my mind - and not just because the Scarlets won the title last season, BTW, though that did no harm! The Aviva, and rugby league, both use the system - and the NFL Superbowl also works via a play-off system. It definitely makes for a more exciting end to the season, though I still feel the team with most points should get some sort of trophy, maybe one for each conference in our case. (NFL teams are pretty chuffed if they win their own conference, even if they don't win the Superbowl.) It's also true that the distances teams have to travel in the USA can be very great, and can involve crossing several time zones.

Just saying.

-------------
(Ivan Turgenev)

Date Posted: 14 September 2017 at 8:51am
The Italians joining the Pro10 (or whatever it was) and the expansion of Super Rugby is the cause for concern, despite all the plans pretty much all the new teams are still rubbish or even a bit worse. Only the Lions who came back into the S15 have made an impression, and they were a former powerhouse of SA rugby.

IF, and a big if, the South African 2 strengthen over the next 2 years to genuine top 4-6 potential sides then with Leinster, Munster, Ulster, Glasgow, Us (not to mention a rjuvinated Ospreys, Cardiff, Edinburgh) then we could start to see much more quality games and a better league.

History tells us this won't happen.

Date Posted: 14 September 2017 at 9:40am
What is the point in anyone complaining about the standard of the league? It is what it is and the organisers have realised the need for change to help finance the teams. Surely that is enough!! When it comes to criticising the standard of our league it is worth pointing out how successful players from this so called poor league have been. Look at the recent Lions tour participation; two teams through to the semi finals of the Champions Cup last season - not bad for a micky mouse competition!!!!

Ask Foxy what he thinks of the league & its ability to prepare him for the biggest stage.

Posted By: 1carmscarletsfan
Date Posted: 14 September 2017 at 10:48am

Posted By: SA14
Date Posted: 14 September 2017 at 1:15pm

What is the point in anyone complaining about the standard of the league? It is what it is and the organisers have realised the need for change to help finance the teams. Surely that is enough!! When it comes to criticising the standard of our league it is worth pointing out how successful players from this so called poor league have been. Look at the recent Lions tour participation; two teams through to the semi finals of the Champions Cup last season - not bad for a micky mouse competition!!!!

Ask Foxy what he thinks of the league & its ability to prepare him for the biggest stage.

Spot on.

Date Posted: 14 September 2017 at 2:11pm

Quite so. 

People are too ready to take the English BS about how good their league is at face value. Before Sarries - just one European title in 10 years, FFS!

-------------
(Ivan Turgenev)

Posted By: crj89
Date Posted: 14 September 2017 at 2:21pm
The only thing that the English league has on the Pro14 is crowd size, the rugby on show is not superior in any way.

We need to go away from the BBC as the commentary is always so negative, you wouldn't see that on BT or Sky.

If we had commentators bigging up the league rather than shooting it down at every opportunity, maybe we'd get the armchair supporters to the ground and see how good it really is.

Date Posted: 14 September 2017 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by crj89 crj89 wrote:

The only thing that the English league has on the Pro14 is crowd size, the rugby on show is not superior in any way.

We need to go away from the BBC as the commentary is always so negative, you wouldn't see that on BT or Sky.

If we had commentators bigging up the league rather than shooting it down at every opportunity, maybe we'd get the armchair supporters to the ground and see how good it really is.

Can't really compare the crowds. Most AVP teams are well established clubs in large catchment areas. they are also not on TV every week. Look at the crowds for Saracens, Sale, Newcastle - not spectacular. The only club who has moved away from their homeland and made it work is Wasps. The travelling is also easier for away fans as it's all in England so not flights etc. Crowd versus population of catchment area actually puts our crowds in a good light in comparison imho.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 September 2017 at 5:49pm

Moaning about structure isn't going to get us anywhere. What matters more is the quality of rugby on offer - and Scarlets supporters, at least, have nothing to complain about in that regard over the last few months!

I'll reserve my right to moan thanks. I'm old enough to be considered a grumpy old man.
The only thing that matters to me is us putting a great team out and playing great rugby, winning more than we lose.

That takes money. And I firmly believe that continual expansion will make the league less attractive to TV and sponsors than it is now, and less accessible to punters.

I was ok with the Saffers joining, SA is in the same time zone and is a mature rugby market, with the potential to become competitive sides. 

However currently they've been a bit poo. The Italians are poo. The Dragons are poo. Edinburgh are average, Cardiff are poo. Most of the games are easy to predict because one side is poo.
The Germans will be poo. The Americans will be poo.

I don't see how all this poo will have broadcasters fighting over us.I really don't

-------------

Date Posted: 14 September 2017 at 7:36pm

I'll reserve my right to moan thanks. I'm old enough to be considered a grumpy old man.
The only thing that matters to me is us putting a great team out and playing great rugby, winning more than we lose.

That takes money. And I firmly believe that continual expansion will make the league less attractive to TV and sponsors than it is now, and less accessible to punters.

I was ok with the Saffers joining, SA is in the same time zone and is a mature rugby market, with the potential to become competitive sides. 

However currently they've been a bit poo. The Italians are poo. The Dragons are poo. Edinburgh are average, Cardiff are poo. Most of the games are easy to predict because one side is poo.
The Germans will be poo. The Americans will be poo.

I don't see how all this poo will have broadcasters fighting over us.I really don't

You have every right to moan - it just doesn't achieve anything (except make you feel better). And I'm probably older than you are, with even better qualifications to be deemed a curmudgeon and a codger!

The Saffers are bringing in more money, and I'll be surprised if their teams aren't competitive in a couple of years - even this year, they'll be hard to beat at home, IMO. As far as I know, any move to expend into the USA or anywhere else remains pie in the sky, at the moment, so hardly worth commenting on until it risks becoming a reality.

-------------
(Ivan Turgenev)

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2015 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk