Forum Description: Other rugby chat
URL: https://scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=43739
Printed Date: 28 March 2024 at 9:14am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Moriarty
Posted By: surfing-mtber
Subject: Moriarty
Date Posted: 19 October 2017 at 8:03pm
Some quotes here from Privac relating to the new selection policy and our willingness to pursue a contract with Ross.
Also some gossipy comments about it being a done deal, which will be announced during the AI's. (pinch of salt etc.)

If we get him, I can't imagine it will be at a knock down price, perhaps a sharpening of focus due to the new policy, which will simply hasten the signature.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/scarlets-step-up-chase-ross-13782626" rel="nofollow - http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/scarlets-step-up-chase-ross-13782626

-------------
Joshua24:15

Replies:
Posted By: Ffidel Bennett
Date Posted: 19 October 2017 at 8:28pm
My worry, if we expect him to play like Scott Quinnell and scatter defenders in his path, is that he's not got the physique to do this without incurring  injuries fairly frequently. He's 16st3 and 6ft 2. This gives him power and acceleration, but does he have the weight to knock them over and to help in cushioning the blows?
On the other hand he would be a much more mobile forward than Quinnell, Lyons, Morgan or Nick Williams etc and maybe this is what we need with our current running/offloading game and he will only occasionally be required to barge his way across the line.
A couple of early tries and I'd probably be convinced!!!

Posted By: John
Date Posted: 19 October 2017 at 8:35pm
We need him- he needs to come back to Wales.  Reports of Gatland suggesting that he might go to the Drags seem a bit over dramatised so who knows. His back hasn't revovered from the Lions tour so that has to be a questionmark.

Shedweb has been muttering about all matters Welsh over this for a while now but they should remember the big Ben story and shut up. Incidentally Ben has just scored a try for Glos and we've never found anyone since his departure who could do what he does.  

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 19 October 2017 at 10:21pm
In the traditional mould he's a top notch 6 but an adequate 8. Pivac obviously doesn't see him playing a traditional 8 role, but if he does play there, where does that leave him with Wales. Faletau is obviously going to be Wales' 8 for a number of years. Does playing out of position disadvantage Moriarty?

Any chance the board could stretch to Moriarty and Faletau?

Moriarty, Faletau, Cubby looks like one helluva back row to me

Posted By: SospanMawr
Date Posted: 19 October 2017 at 11:31pm
An “adequate” 8? Really?
I think he’d be one of the best 8s in the league. I wouldn’t swap him for any 8 at a Welsh region that’s for sure.

Posted By: ScarletBear
Date Posted: 20 October 2017 at 1:35am
I think Scarlets and Wales will play him at 6 and 8. You need a backup to Faletau to get strength in depth. But I would have him primarily at 8.

Posted By: roy munster
Date Posted: 20 October 2017 at 2:31am
8s seem to be a bit smaller and quicker these days with the new laws

-------------
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 20 October 2017 at 7:00am
Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

An “adequate” 8? Really?
I think he’d be one of the best 8s in the league. I wouldn’t swap him for any 8 at a Welsh region that’s for sure.

What does that say about the 8's at the regions? I did say in the traditional sense btw.

Posted By: aber-fan
Date Posted: 20 October 2017 at 7:16am
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

My worry, if we expect him to play like Scott Quinnell and scatter defenders in his path, is that he's not got the physique to do this without incurring  injuries fairly frequently. He's 16st3 and 6ft 2. This gives him power and acceleration, but does he have the weight to knock them over and to help in cushioning the blows?
On the other hand he would be a much more mobile forward than Quinnell, Lyons, Morgan or Nick Williams etc and maybe this is what we need with our current running/offloading game and he will only occasionally be required to barge his way across the line.
A couple of early tries and I'd probably be convinced!!!

Fair comments... my only concern, really, is the fact that he has yet to play this season due to injury on 3 June. What is the nature of his injury, and how certain is it that he can make a complete recovery? I'd hate us to spend a small fortune on a player who spends most of his time on the touchline. 

So long as the injury is cleared up to everyone's satisfaction, then of course he'd be a great signing.

-------------
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)

Posted By: Rich (Bris)
Date Posted: 20 October 2017 at 7:44am
Not much difference between 6 and 8 these days. He's a fantastic player, but yes we'd have to feel confident about his fitness.

That Leeds to an interesting thought about the new rules on Welsh 'eligibility' - if due to concerns over injury or financial worries none of the four regions wanted to offer him even a Dual contract then what would the situation be? would WRU agree to pay a higher percentage to encourage them to take him on or what because they could be left with the situation where a fit Moriarty would not be able to play for Wales because only an English club will be prepared to offer him a contract. I don't think that will happen but it's an interesting scenario.

Posted By: PearlJam
Date Posted: 20 October 2017 at 7:53am
The traditional 8 still has a place in the modern game, but we played our best rugby for a decade last year without one.

It's your style of play that dictates the players you need and we had the perfect balance in Shingler, Cubby and Barclay. If Moriarty joined, I'd like to think he could complement that back row rather than change it.

-------------
If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose.

Posted By: turkishrebel
Date Posted: 20 October 2017 at 8:10am
he is a quality player, but with macloed boyde cubby shingle and Barclay the backrow is quite blessed as it is. I think macloed and boyde will develop even more so would it be wise to stunt their development by bringing in another player. I know moriarty is quality and would boost us greatly, but with our limited funs would it be worth looking at putting that money into replacing beirne?

-------------
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!

Date Posted: 20 October 2017 at 8:26am
We are looking at replacing Beirne as well though (seems Seb Davies top of list)

Posted By: scarletnut
Date Posted: 20 October 2017 at 9:05am
Originally posted by PearlJam PearlJam wrote:

The traditional 8 still has a place in the modern game, but we played our best rugby for a decade last year without one.

It's your style of play that dictates the players you need and we had the perfect balance in Shingler, Cubby and Barclay. If Moriarty joined, I'd like to think he could complement that back row rather than change it.
Great point

-------------
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1

Posted By: Exkixu
Date Posted: 20 October 2017 at 9:12am
Originally posted by turkishrebel turkishrebel wrote:

he is a quality player, but with macloed boyde cubby shingle and Barclay the backrow is quite blessed as it is. I think macloed and boyde will develop even more so would it be wise to stunt their development by bringing in another player. I know moriarty is quality and would boost us greatly, but with our limited funs would it be worth looking at putting that money into replacing beirne?

7 games into the season and we already are without Cubby (mid-long term) and Barclay, with Boyde just coming back. Truth is, we were lucky last year with injuries and we need as many top players as we can afford.  I feel we can get away with a player like Rawlins or Tom Price at 5 (not forgetting Bullbring, who has been very good this season) but backrow is key to the way we play.

6 Shingler/Moriarty
7 Cubby/Barclay/Boyde
8 Moriarty/McLeod/Barclay

Only two out of those 6 players would miss out of the 23, and that's assuming no injuries. Moriarty would be on a NDC also, which would limit his appearances.

McLeod will turn 21 in a week also. Plenty of time to develop.

-------------
1 Xavier Rush   2 Rhys Priestland   3 David Lyons   Cardiff Blues - Scarlets, 26/09/09      

More carries than any of our forwards. Priestland Fan Club Proud Member

Posted By: turkishrebel
Date Posted: 20 October 2017 at 9:18am
thanks exiku, ignore what I said! LOL  would love to have him with us. 

-------------
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!

Posted By: haydn_davies
Date Posted: 20 October 2017 at 9:27am
If we can afford to sign Moriarty while still retaining our current crop of back row players, it's a no-brainer for me.

He covers 6 & 8 and can bring something different to our squad, while at the same time I'm sure his skillset as a player will develop with our coaching.

We're carrying a few injuries in the back row this season, we were extremely lucky with the lack of injuries last season.

-------------
Think, think, think - it's a thinking man's game!! - The Great Carwyn James.

Posted By: Matthew Cardey
Date Posted: 20 October 2017 at 9:50am
Think it would be a massive statement of intent by the scarlets to sign another current welsh international following Halfpenny last year, and the re-signing of foxy the previous year. We had years of loosing a quality players, the trend seems to have changed completely. Surely we would be his preferred destination out of the regions but he will essentially be a WRU if he is on a NDC. I just think a player of moriaty s quality should be playing in the champions cup.

Posted By: GPR - Rochester
Date Posted: 20 October 2017 at 10:10am
I would prefer to reserve judgement on Moriarty until we understand the implications of the 20 players out of contract at the end of this season. I am pretty sure the vast majority of those 20 have now made the management aware of their positions. 

I still harbour doubts about Moriarty as our 8. He would be 2nd choice at 6 without doubt & I am yet to be convinced he is a natural 8. If we can afford to keep all the players in the 20 we want apart from Beirne & possibly a scrum half then yes on an NDC would give players like Barclay less game time. Situation with Condy will have a bearing of course. Alternatively Pivac is very keen so he sees where he fits our gameplan.

Posted By: PE SA
Date Posted: 20 October 2017 at 10:57am
To be honest, the way Pivac is speaking about him to me shows we are pretty far along negotiations.
As long as we can keep everyone we want to keep (Beirne aside) then great...Barclay is a must keep.

Date Posted: 20 October 2017 at 11:13am
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

To be honest, the way Pivac is speaking about him to me shows we are pretty far along negotiations.
As long as we can keep everyone we want to keep (Beirne aside) then great...Barclay is a must keep.

Very much this.

-------------
1 Xavier Rush   2 Rhys Priestland   3 David Lyons   Cardiff Blues - Scarlets, 26/09/09      

Date Posted: 20 October 2017 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by Exkixu Exkixu wrote:

Originally posted by turkishrebel turkishrebel wrote:

7 games into the season and we already are without Cubby (mid-long term) and Barclay, with Boyde just coming back. Truth is, we were lucky last year with injuries and we need as many top players as we can afford.  I feel we can get away with a player like Rawlins or Tom Price at 5 (not forgetting Bullbring, who has been very good this season) but backrow is key to the way we play.

6 Shingler/Moriarty
7 Cubby/Barclay/Boyde
8 Moriarty/McLeod/Barclay

Only two out of those 6 players would miss out of the 23, and that's assuming no injuries. Moriarty would be on a NDC also, which would limit his appearances.

McLeod will turn 21 in a week also. Plenty of time to develop.

Yes, injuries need to be catered for. A couple of years ago I think I read that on average, 23% of your players are out injured - and I expect it is getting worse. Pivac and the Board's job is to plan for this.

Posted By: Dafen Boy
Date Posted: 21 October 2017 at 2:39am
Moriarty would have excelled in those conditions tonight....

Posted By: supertaf
Date Posted: 08 November 2017 at 2:53pm
Just had a word from a friend close to Gloucester and apparently the WRU have offered Ross two different NDCs. One for the Dragons and one for the Scarlets BUT the offer is a lot more if he goes to the Dragons. Poor show if that is the case as it's not considering what is best for the player.

-------------
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872

Posted By: NeylandAllBlack
Date Posted: 08 November 2017 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by supertaf supertaf wrote:

Just had a word from a friend close to Gloucester and apparently the WRU have offered Ross two different NDCs. One for the Dragons and one for the Scarlets BUT the offer is a lot more if he goes to the Dragons. Poor show if that is the case as it's not considering what is best for the player.

Self interest on the part of the WRU. Not in the best interest of Welsh rugby.

Date Posted: 08 November 2017 at 3:07pm

If that is true then the Scarlets management need to make their feelings known at the highest level. This type of business goes against everything which regional rugby is about. 

Date Posted: 08 November 2017 at 3:35pm
But the Drags one would be alot more because it would be a NDC and the Drags contribution. For us it would just be the NDC. Our contract would be separate. Or would it?

We're going to pay Moriarty alot ourselves so one really wouldnt expect the Drags (=WRU) to pay alot more than us before the NDC. But it is certainly wrong and against various contract laws that the WRU might have information as to what we are bidding when they (=Drags) also are bidding. I'm currently tendering for some business and I would love to know what the opposition is tendering- as they no doubt would love to know what I am doing. 

Posted By: ScarletSpiderman
Date Posted: 08 November 2017 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by John John wrote:

But the Drags one would be alot more because it would be a NDC and the Drags contribution. For us it would just be the NDC. Our contract would be separate. Or would it?

We're going to pay Moriarty alot ourselves so one really wouldnt expect the Drags (=WRU) to pay alot more than us before the NDC. But it is certainly wrong and against various contract laws that the WRU might have information as to what we are bidding when they (=Drags) also are bidding. I'm currently tendering for some business and I would love to know what the opposition is tendering- as they no doubt would love to know what I am doing. 

The NDC has to be 60:40, which is where Scott's NDC fell apart when the Ospreys played silly sods. Or at lease that is how i percieved it.

Date Posted: 08 November 2017 at 3:50pm

Don't think it works like that. WRU negotiate the full contract & the region agree to pay 40%. I cannot see that what has been reported i.e. WRU offering Moriarty two separate NDC's depending on which region he joins would be allowable within the regional game. I fully understand that the Dragons are less attractive to returning Wales players but that is not the fault of the Scarlets. This suggests that the WRU are hell bent on attempting to level out the -playing strengths of all regions instead of allowing excellence to flourish.

All regions should have the same WRU funding & they cannot show bias to any region regardless of ownership. I think it is probably time that NDC's were scrapped and the central monies saved put back into the equally shared pot. Regions must stand or fall by the quality of their management.

Posted By: Sandman
Date Posted: 08 November 2017 at 4:27pm
Don’t know how deep our pockets go, but we really need to sign someone like Moriarty if we truly are to progress as Pivac would like us to. There’s absolutely no point what so ever in Moriarty going to the Dragons. He’d just be another Faletau. An outstanding player in a poor side. He’d learn absolutely nothing and probably go backwards in his career.

-------------
Only one team plays in red. (Sorry, Scarlet)

Posted By: NobbySosban
Date Posted: 08 November 2017 at 4:32pm
Agree that current model of NDCs needs an overhaul, but they're probably still necessary in some form in order to retain and return players under the latest SPSP. The whole RSA needs replacing, but not sure how long that might take.

I can see why WRU Gwent want to land a big fish - it would be the keystone to enable Dragons to be a credible outfit, in terms of playing personnel, anyway. It's so chicken & egg.

But if they are really brokering different packages for two supposedly otherwise identical NDCs, it's a huge conflict of interest, and something that PRW will find difficult to work with. It could end up with Scarlets and/or Moriarty walking away - he's already under pressure to come and play in Wales, but heaping the pressure on for him to also be the saviour of the Dragons might not be what he wants, and being undervalued by the best Scarlets offer could see him stick with Glaws or even entertain offers from elsewhere in England or France, and to hell with the Wales shirt. Risky.

In our favour, Pivac has been clear and consistent in his overtures - that might count for something with Ross.

Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 08 November 2017 at 4:48pm
So we’re looking at a bidding war with ... with...with the sole employer is it ...

Date Posted: 08 November 2017 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Don't think it works like that. WRU negotiate the full contract & the region agree to pay 40%. I cannot see that what has been reported i.e. WRU offering Moriarty two separate NDC's depending on which region he joins would be allowable within the regional game. I fully understand that the Dragons are less attractive to returning Wales players but that is not the fault of the Scarlets. This suggests that the WRU are hell bent on attempting to level out the -playing strengths of all regions instead of allowing excellence to flourish.

All regions should have the same WRU funding & they cannot show bias to any region regardless of ownership. I think it is probably time that NDC's were scrapped and the central monies saved put back into the equally shared pot. Regions must stand or fall by the quality of their management.

I agree hence why I have posted it. Comes from a usually reliable source who is very close to everything Gloucester. Seems poor show if true and potentially illegal?

-------------

Posted By: ladram
Date Posted: 08 November 2017 at 5:09pm
oh for those old days when roger was in charge.Wink

Posted By: PearlJam
Date Posted: 08 November 2017 at 5:21pm

This isn't true, not to belittle your contact, but effectively our offer is a sub-market price contract (as the market price is the highest offer) and therefore isn't going to be taken up by anyway. It just wouldn't happen as it's absurd.

Not even the stupidest moron in the WRU could concoct that one, thankfully. 

-------------
If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose.

Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 08 November 2017 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

oh for those old days when roger was in charge.Wink

Is he still at Cardiff Airport? (Trolley Dolly ? LOL)   its all very quiet from him these days -thankfully!

Posted By: Why
Date Posted: 08 November 2017 at 5:59pm
this is the whole reason that the WRU owning one of four regions is untenable unfair and frankly unbelievable only in Wales you are rewarded for failure and hampered if you are successful.
The Dragons are a disgrace always have been and are a huge drain on WRU resources without giving anything back. It's not going to change it's in the interest of WRU for them to be succesful at expense of the other regions.

-------------
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.

Posted By: 157cb
Date Posted: 08 November 2017 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

this is the whole reason that the WRU owning one of four regions is untenable unfair and frankly unbelievable only in Wales you are rewarded for failure and hampered if you are successful.
The Dragons are a disgrace always have been and are a huge drain on WRU resources without giving anything back. It's not going to change it's in the interest of WRU for them to be succesful at expense of the other regions.

Agree with all of the above a reward for failure, and would not be at all surprised if these claims are true

Date Posted: 08 November 2017 at 7:46pm
Whether true or not, given the scale of possible conflicts of interest with the WRU owning 1 region but being mandated to represent fairly and equitably all 4, then it always has had all the hallmarks of a decent soap opera this.

Can't see how it can end well.

Posted By: Realwest
Date Posted: 08 November 2017 at 8:03pm
Why cant the wru just share the £ equally between the 4 regions amd state that it must be used for wq players simple that isnt it

Posted By: Wasp
Date Posted: 08 November 2017 at 8:23pm

I agree hence why I have posted it. Comes from a usually reliable source who is very close to everything Gloucester. Seems poor show if true and potentially illegal?
This can only have happened with the Scarlets' knowledge. We have to sign up to fund the 60%. Ross's agent would simply let us know about the higher bid, as well.

Which is why I find it hard to believe sorry Supertaf.

-------------
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh

Date Posted: 08 November 2017 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by Realwest Realwest wrote:

Why cant the wru just share the £ equally between the 4 regions amd state that it must be used for wq players simple that isnt it
They pay some of the money in line with the amount of players called up, which is fair - and good for us at the moment.

-------------

Posted By: Mogwen
Date Posted: 08 November 2017 at 8:46pm

That's too simple.

-------------
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Date Posted: 08 November 2017 at 8:54pm

Yeah but this is Welsh rugby we don't do simple

-------------
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1

Posted By: Eastern outpost
Date Posted: 08 November 2017 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Yeah but this is Welsh rugby we don't do simple
We need a meerkat or few.

-------------
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.

Posted By: mammamammon
Date Posted: 08 November 2017 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by Mogwen Mogwen wrote:

That's too simple.

Far too simple and doesn’t allow the WRU to be self important. Dual contracts will always be imbalanced unless an equal amount of money is allocated to each region.

-------------
mammamammon

www.hopemalawiuk.com

Date Posted: 08 November 2017 at 9:55pm
What do you expect from an organisation whose logo is the symbol of a foreign prince whose country invaded us, had our leaders hung, drawn and quartered, then subjugated us, and still controls most important aspects of our lives?

Posted By: Legendinmybathroom
Date Posted: 08 November 2017 at 10:14pm
If this is true, i find it unbelievable and a discrace. Regardless of the fact that the WRU have complete ownership of the dragons, they should not be able to offer more money to a player to join the dragons over another region.
If the deal on the table is greater to join the dragons in total (that’s 100% funded by the WRU, not 60/40) then that must mean that the Scarlets have an evaluation of Moriarty that is considerably less than that of the WRU, or the WRU are hell bent on stocking the dragons with players that may not necessarily want to be there, but will have to go there in order to be selected for Wales - which I’m sure that a legal person would make mincemeat out of.

Posted By: Tim Opolis
Date Posted: 08 November 2017 at 11:07pm
A while back we were up in arms when the O's picked up another NDC when Bradley Davies came back to Wales from Wasps. When we broached the subject with Mark Davies he said the player chose the Ospreys so what could the WRU do?

I cant see how things have changed since then. They cant offer the player more to go to a certain region it would be in breach of trust and almost certainly outside whatever agreement is currently in place.

The only way he'll go to the Dragons imo is if:-

a) He wants to, or
b) The Dragons were the only region prepared to pay whatever the 40% figure is, which is bound to be a substantial sum if its going to tempt Ross to play in Wales.

-------------
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.

Date Posted: 08 November 2017 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by Rich (Bris) Rich (Bris) wrote:

Not much difference between 6 and 8 these days. He's a fantastic player, but yes we'd have to feel confident about his fitness.

That Leeds to an interesting thought about the new rules on Welsh 'eligibility' - if due to concerns over injury or financial worries none of the four regions wanted to offer him even a Dual contract then what would the situation be? would WRU agree to pay a higher percentage to encourage them to take him on or what because they could be left with the situation where a fit Moriarty would not be able to play for Wales because only an English club will be prepared to offer him a contract. I don't think that will happen but it's an interesting scenario.

It's 2 mun. Always has been 2, and always will be 2.

Date Posted: 08 November 2017 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by Tim Opolis Tim Opolis wrote:

A while back we were up in arms when the O's picked up another NDC when Bradley Davies came back to Wales from Wasps. When we broached the subject with Mark Davies he said the player chose the Ospreys so what could the WRU do?

I cant see how things have changed since then. They cant offer the player more to go to a certain region it would be in breach of trust and almost certainly outside whatever agreement is currently in place.

The only way he'll go to the Dragons imo is if:-

a) He wants to, or
b) The Dragons were the only region prepared to pay whatever the 40% figure is, which is bound to be a substantial sum if its going to tempt Ross to play in Wales.

A substantial sum to play in Wales, but substantially less is he wants to play for Wales.

Posted By: Tim Opolis
Date Posted: 08 November 2017 at 11:59pm
Will we sign Moriarty? I wouldnt hold my breath for it. I'm beginning to think that shirt is cursed as far as we're concerned. Since Ben Morgan left in March 2012 we have failed to fill the slot. Its been totally bizarre how we havent been able to sign well in this one position. There's a long list of players we've tried there, none a natural fit and none that fully ticked the box of what fans would expect from a number 8. We even signed one who didnt ever put the number 8 shirt on his back ffs!

Bad timing, bad luck, bad recruitment? Its probably a bit of all those.

But Wayne has stuck his chin out with Moriarty. Making it public that he's been chasing him for around 18 months now. It's like Sherlock Holmes trying to catch the infamous namesake. Even the great detective never quite seemed to get his man.

So will Moriarty make a miraculous escape and flee the country, who knows? I think if Gatland's law hadnt changed he would be long gone.

I hope for Wayne and the management's sake that we finally get our man, because if we dont, it will be yet another chapter in an ever thickening book 'The mysterious case of the Scarlet number 8'

-------------
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.

Date Posted: 09 November 2017 at 8:38am
The last 8 we publicly stated we were chasing?
Opeti Fonua.

Date Posted: 09 November 2017 at 8:47am
I see the collective mind of Scarlet Fever has forgotten Chris Hala'Ufia...

Understable, mind.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 November 2017 at 8:51am
Re the WRU double offer, was not the case with Scott not getting a NDC that the bidding war (this might be an exaggeration) between us and the Ospreys pushed the amount offered over what the WRU had estimated and was ready to pay, that is WRU's 60%?

I can't see how they can now offer two different packages depending on which team he chooses. 

-------------

Date Posted: 09 November 2017 at 9:40am
My perception up until now is that for an NDC the WRU sets the value. If more than 1 region is willing to stump up the 40% then it's up to the player to decide.

Of course, in theory if a team can afford it they can outbid the NDC (see Scott Williams). That's just competition in the marketplace  - more or less

It's all completely [beep]ed up now because in theory WRU Dragons can outbid the NDC with what is in effect a Central Contract.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 November 2017 at 10:33am
Originally posted by PearlJam PearlJam wrote:

This isn't true, not to belittle your contact, but effectively our offer is a sub-market price contract (as the market price is the highest offer) and therefore isn't going to be taken up by anyway. It just wouldn't happen as it's absurd.

Not even the stupidest moron in the WRU could concoct that one, thankfully. 

Fair shout, I'm intrigued by what happens though. To be fair to him, he's right 90% of the time.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 November 2017 at 10:35am
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

This can only have happened with the Scarlets' knowledge. We have to sign up to fund the 60%. Ross's agent would simply let us know about the higher bid, as well.

I agree but I had to share as it does come from a usually very reliable source and if there is any truth, it needed to be out

-------------

Date Posted: 09 November 2017 at 11:16am

What do you expect from an organisation whose logo is the symbol of a foreign prince whose country invaded us, had our leaders hung, drawn and quartered, then subjugated us, and still controls most important aspects of our lives?

Absolutely Fidel! We're so used to it the history of the three feathers often gets lost. I suppose some might say it has been turned into a positive thing but ..........

Date Posted: 09 November 2017 at 11:18am
Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

Originally posted by Rich (Bris) Rich (Bris) wrote:

It's 2 mun. Always has been 2, and always will be 2.

Ah! Got it in the end. Nice maths joke for a Thursday

Date Posted: 09 November 2017 at 12:00pm

The last 8 we publicly stated we were chasing?
Opeti Fonua.
yes made a last min u turn. Even trained with us for a week leaving a few lads bruised!!

Date Posted: 09 November 2017 at 12:11pm
Oh for a younger version of Fonua to share 8 duties with Barclay - two extremes of 8play which would cover most contingencies.  

Posted By: Micro Duck
Date Posted: 09 November 2017 at 1:50pm

Re the WRU double offer, was not the case with Scott not getting a NDC that the bidding war (this might be an exaggeration) between us and the Ospreys pushed the amount offered over what the WRU had estimated and was ready to pay, that is WRU's 60%?

I can't see how they can now offer two different packages depending on which team he chooses. 

Wil can properly clarify this, but as I understand it, the Ospreys weren't involved in a NDC for Scott.

The Scarlets and the WRU were negotiating an NDC with Scott.

The Ospreys came in with an offer which they would fund directly. No WRU involvement.

The WRU sensed a bidding war, so withdrew a Scarlets NDC.

The Scarlets directly funded Scott's new deal.

-------------
New KALAMAFONI - BEAST MODE t-shirt now available online.

Plus a new 'Sosban Fach Scoundrels' range.

Paste the link below into your URL:
https://llanelli.teemill.com/

Posted By: najbritcol
Date Posted: 09 November 2017 at 4:01pm
I think the WRU takeover was done out of extreme desperation to save pro rugby in a major rugby heartland (Gwent), not as a way of "rewarding failure".  Moreover, with the growing debts of the other regions, who shall be next?

Date Posted: 09 November 2017 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by Micro Duck Micro Duck wrote:

Wil can properly clarify this, but as I understand it, the Ospreys weren't involved in a NDC for Scott.

The Scarlets and the WRU were negotiating an NDC with Scott.

The Ospreys came in with an offer which they would fund directly. No WRU involvement.

The WRU sensed a bidding war, so withdrew a Scarlets NDC.

The Scarlets directly funded Scott's new deal.

Yep, that's my recollection and what I meant to write anyway. That the clubs pushed in some way the price up and the WRU withdrew because it had a fixed value for Scott. 

Which is completely different (and somehow understable) to what it has been posted here about Moriarty and the double offer. I find it unlikely and extremely dodgy if true.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 November 2017 at 11:17pm

I agree but I had to share as it does come from a usually very reliable source and if there is any truth, it needed to be out
Don't blame you at all for sharing, it's good debate!!

-------------

Posted By: Micro Duck
Date Posted: 10 November 2017 at 10:45am
It would be a dangerous precedent if the WRU were starting to favour the Dragons over other sides.

-------------
New KALAMAFONI - BEAST MODE t-shirt now available online.

Plus a new 'Sosban Fach Scoundrels' range.

Paste the link below into your URL:
https://llanelli.teemill.com/

Posted By: Dinga
Date Posted: 10 November 2017 at 2:25pm
I would prefer signing someone without international commitments. Just saying.

-------------
Some people are born stupid. Some need to practice

Date Posted: 10 November 2017 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by Dinga Dinga wrote:

I would prefer signing someone without international commitments. Just saying.

Tend to agree, like a David Lyons or similar.

Posted By: Why
Date Posted: 10 November 2017 at 2:42pm

It would be a dangerous precedent if the WRU were starting to favour the Dragons over other sides.

WRU would be paying 100% if he joins Dragons as they own them but only 60% if he joins us so how can it be fair.

-------------
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.

Date Posted: 10 November 2017 at 2:48pm
Dragons bound.

Posted By: ap sior
Date Posted: 10 November 2017 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

Dragons bound.

Where did you get your info ?

Date Posted: 11 November 2017 at 10:57am
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

WRU would be paying 100% if he joins Dragons as they own them but only 60% if he joins us so how can it be fair.

As they own them that is just the way it is. As for fair, well I am pleased we have our current ownership rather than it being WRU and the alternative for the Dragons seemed to be extinction, so I'm pleased WRU took them over. As for the NDCs, as long as the money offer by Dragons+WRU is no more than offered by us+WRU and WRU don't put undue pressure on Moriarty to the Dragons then I'm fine with it (& see no alternative anyway)

Posted By: salmidach
Date Posted: 11 November 2017 at 11:24am
what a waste of a player if he ends up at the dragons...

-------------
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance - Terry Pratchett

Posted By: Eastern outpost
Date Posted: 11 November 2017 at 11:54am
Him signing for Drags would send out all the wrong signals.

If he wants to be the best player he can be and hit all International goals, then he really needs to sign for us. Anything else is very likely to be judged as a compromise, or pursuit of financial security.

If he doesn’t join us, I’m sure our management will identify other use(s) for the money to strengthen in that area of our squad.

-------------
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.

Date Posted: 11 November 2017 at 12:19pm
I think we need to consider a mind re-set on the Drags capabilities for 2018/19 season.

Date Posted: 11 November 2017 at 12:29pm
I really can't see him joining Dragons. It would only be for the money on offer via WRU if he did. He would end up like Toby did and he is not an East Walian. His roots are down here or dare I say it the Ospreys! Commonsense says it's us he joins.

Date Posted: 11 November 2017 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

I really can't see him joining Dragons. It would only be for the money on offer via WRU if he did. He would end up like Toby did and he is not an East Walian. His roots are down here or dare I say it the Ospreys! Commonsense says it's us he joins.
I think his roots are in England where he was born if i'm not mistaken.

Posted By: Roger
Date Posted: 11 November 2017 at 1:07pm

He was born in England where his dad played but went to primary and secondary schools in Morriston.

Date Posted: 11 November 2017 at 1:09pm

[QUOTE=reesytheexile]I really can't see him joining Dragons. It would only be for the money on offer via WRU if he did. He would end up like Toby did and he is not an East Walian. His roots are down here or dare I say it the Ospreys! Commonsense says it's us he joins.
[/QUOT

Both his parents are from the Morriston area of Swansea. As a child he spent a lot of time with his maternal grandparents, and I often used to see him in Llangyfelach walking with his sister and grandfather. Since coming back, his parents have made their home in Swansea and he went to Morriston Comp. I believe that as a youngster he was on the books of Swansea City as a goalie. 

I'd say therefore that he did have roots in the Morriston area of Swansea.

Date Posted: 11 November 2017 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by Roger Roger wrote:

He was born in England where his dad played but went to primary and secondary schools in Morriston.
thanks.Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 11 November 2017 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

I think we need to consider a mind re-set on the Drags capabilities for 2018/19 season.
They'll need an awful lot more recruitment than Ross if they are to improve measurably. 

-------------

Date Posted: 11 November 2017 at 2:08pm

They'll need an awful lot more recruitment than Ross if they are to improve measurably. 

In my opinion Rhodri Wiiliams is an upgrade on what they have at the moment.

Date Posted: 11 November 2017 at 2:28pm

And a different coach than Jackman. Jackman will build the foundations- particularly in terms of links to all the rest of Gwent apart from Newport but also in the squad but he will not produce a trophy winning team.  

Date Posted: 11 November 2017 at 2:35pm
It will be incredibly disappointing if Moriarty joins the Dragons. I could understand if he turned us down to compete for trophies in England (which he can’t do now) or for mega mega money in France (he could get it) but for him to choose Dragons over us, just for more money from the WRU acting in a conflict of interest, would really hurt.

Date Posted: 11 November 2017 at 2:46pm

With all these signings do you reckon they will then be able to field a mediocre team for home AND away matches?

Date Posted: 11 November 2017 at 2:50pm

With all these signings do you reckon they will then be able to field a mediocre team for home AND away matches?

Where is the money coming from...will the WRU be bidding against the Scarlets...I would not trust that lot..

Date Posted: 11 November 2017 at 4:05pm
Drags have signed Rhodri W and Jarryd Sage,they have Bevington and Jordan W lined up, these are clear signs of funding and intent and upgrades on what they have. They have a clutch of decent youngsters too.

I'm just saying.

Date Posted: 11 November 2017 at 4:12pm
We need some transparency on all this tbh

Date Posted: 11 November 2017 at 4:18pm

Drags have signed Rhodri W and Jarryd Sage,they have Bevington and Jordan W lined up, these are clear signs of funding and intent and upgrades on what they have. They have a clutch of decent youngsters too.

I'm just saying.

Not convinced that Sage and Bevington are good signings. 

-------------

Date Posted: 11 November 2017 at 4:21pm
Clear to me they are more than good enough for AI /6N window players, and it's my view the Drags are aiming for just that ( as well as WQ of course).

Posted By: judith
Date Posted: 11 November 2017 at 4:28pm

It will be incredibly disappointing if Moriarty joins the Dragons. I could understand if he turned us down to compete for trophies in England (which he can’t do now) or for mega mega money in France (he could get it) but for him to choose Dragons over us, just for more money from the WRU acting in a conflict of interest, would really hurt.

This.

Date Posted: 11 November 2017 at 5:05pm

Clear to me they are more than good enough for AI /6N window players, and it's my view the Drags are aiming for just that ( as well as WQ of course).

Agree. Kind of getting a London Irish if few years back kinda feeling with dragons.
Strong side during internationals.

I can only really see Rhodri Williams out of the current lads signed/lined up as improvements though. (And obviously RM).
Don’t see the rest as improvements at all.

Date Posted: 11 November 2017 at 5:13pm

I'm just saying.

Moriarty will cost more than all those put together surely?

Posted By: dantheman
Date Posted: 11 November 2017 at 5:23pm
Moriarty seems to be a bit marmite on here. Some see him as the answer to our carrying problems at 8 whereas others see him as a blindside who will struggle to get in ahead of Shingler and who will be missing for vast swathes of time.

As usually is the case I think the reality is somewhere in the middle.

He would definitely offer a bigger carrying game than any of our other back rowers but isn't destructive in the same way that a Nick Williams or Nathan Hughes might be. His greatest asset is his big gain line defence game, he would fit in well to the 3rd man rush defence we employ.

In the back row we don't really operate with the numbers on jerseys defining roles, roles are defined by what players are good at so I don't particularly see the 6/8 debate as relevant.

If he came to us he would be asked to run first up carries similar to the way Ball operates currently and in defence he'd be another 3rd man rusher. With Beirne leaving we need a rusher so that would work well.

It is however, undeniable that availability is an issue. I would rather sign a non international as this window is proving that we are going to really struggle to put together an experienced line-up during the window with the increased number of call ups we are getting.

If the NDC terms make him cheaper than decent non international players then he's probably a good signing, if this isn't the case then I'd question the rationale.

Date Posted: 11 November 2017 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by dantheman dantheman wrote:

Moriarty seems to be a bit marmite on here. Some see him as the answer to our carrying problems at 8 whereas others see him as a blindside who will struggle to get in ahead of Shingler and who will be missing for vast swathes of time.

As usually is the case I think the reality is somewhere in the middle.

He would definitely offer a bigger carrying game than any of our other back rowers but isn't destructive in the same way that a Nick Williams or Nathan Hughes might be. His greatest asset is his big gain line defence game, he would fit in well to the 3rd man rush defence we employ.

In the back row we don't really operate with the numbers on jerseys defining roles, roles are defined by what players are good at so I don't particularly see the 6/8 debate as relevant.

If he came to us he would be asked to run first up carries similar to the way Ball operates currently and in defence he'd be another 3rd man rusher. With Beirne leaving we need a rusher so that would work well.

It is however, undeniable that availability is an issue. I would rather sign a non international as this window is proving that we are going to really struggle to put together an experienced line-up during the window with the increased number of call ups we are getting.

If the NDC terms make him cheaper than decent non international players then he's probably a good signing, if this isn't the case then I'd question the rationale.

Agree, a good SH player might be better, with Beirne leaving we have NWQ space.

Posted By: Sandman
Date Posted: 11 November 2017 at 6:22pm
Career suicide if Moriarty joins the Dragons. If those players that Wil mentioned do join them, then that will definitely be an upgrade for them and should make them more competitive for longer parts of the season. Moriarty, however, is substantially more than an upgrade.

-------------
Only one team plays in red. (Sorry, Scarlet)

Date Posted: 11 November 2017 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by Sandman Sandman wrote:

Career suicide if Moriarty joins the Dragons. If those players that Wil mentioned do join them, then that will definitely be an upgrade for them and should make them more competitive for longer parts of the season. Moriarty, however, is substantially more than an upgrade.

I can't imagine why he would want to go there, virtually no other internationals and certainly no other Lions

Posted By: Sosban89
Date Posted: 11 November 2017 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by Dafen Boy Dafen Boy wrote:

Originally posted by Sandman Sandman wrote:

I can't imagine why he would want to go there, virtually no other internationals and certainly no other Lions

well I guess it could be hard to stand out in a team likely to lose almost every game.

Posted By: Dai38
Date Posted: 11 November 2017 at 7:44pm
One question we should ask....A---should all the better players be in one club
                                             B----is it good for Wales & Scarlets or in fact any one of the two.

-------------
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net