Forum Description: Team News, Season Tickets, Next Match
URL: http://www.scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=43798
Printed Date: 22 September 2019 at 7:20pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 23 for Exeter ??
Posted By: 157cb
Subject: 23 for Exeter ??
Date Posted: 05 November 2017 at 12:45pm
 With the need to rest key players for league, injuries and development selection will be interesting .

15,Prydie
 14,Nicholas
 13,Hughes
 12,Asquith
 11.Grabham
 10,Jones
 9,Smith
 1,Fawcett
 2,Hughes
 3,Gardiner
 4,Price
 5,Bulbring
 6,Rawlins
 8,Condy
 7.Macleod

subs.16,Tomi Lewis
         17,Rhys Jones
         18,Schwartz RGC
         19,Robinson (Quins)
         20,Taylor Davies
         21,Sebastian
         22,Helps
         23,Shaun Evans

Replies:
Posted By: najbritcol
Date Posted: 05 November 2017 at 12:53pm
I'm afraid to say it'll be a damage limitation exercise.

Posted By: multinational
Date Posted: 05 November 2017 at 1:05pm
I can't see us picking anywhere near that strong a team Mark. Injuries are the key here and we can't risk losing many more before going to SA.

I can see far more of the B&I squad getting a couple of games in the LV...

-------------
History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again.

Date Posted: 05 November 2017 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by multinational multinational wrote:

I can't see us picking anywhere near that strong a team Mark. Injuries are the key here and we can't risk losing many more before going to SA.

I can see far more of the B&I squad getting a couple of games in the LV...

Yes probably right Rob but that backline needs to play together before South Africa and the likes of Price Bulbring and Macleod have not played much rugby .

Posted By: Matthew Cardey
Date Posted: 05 November 2017 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by najbritcol najbritcol wrote:

I'm afraid to say it'll be a damage limitation exercise.

Will depend on the teams both sides put out. Probably would have said the same about last years AW against bath wouldnt you?
Truth is you have no idea how it ll play out. No reason that we wouldnt be competitive naming a team like that.

Posted By: SospanMawr
Date Posted: 05 November 2017 at 2:29pm
No clue how we plan to approach it but would like to see game time for Helps, Shaun Evans, Conbeer, Fawcett.
All recent U20s graduates with (potentially) big futures.

Posted By: GPR - Rochester
Date Posted: 05 November 2017 at 2:33pm
Frankly I would keep anyone near the 30 who are travelling to South Africa away from Rugby until we go. Don't know how practical that is. 

Posted By: saundersfootscarlets
Date Posted: 05 November 2017 at 2:48pm
I think that the team who played on Friday need more games together , obviously we are going to lose .Scotty , Hadleigh and Barclay but maybe the others need more game time even if there is the risk if injury.
Went to the premiership side versus RGC yesterday, who looked too strong for us at times although they kept fighting on and scored I Think 3 tries in the last 30 minutes to make it look more respectable.
I did think that ther right-wing Bagshaw and full back Dion Jones both looked strong players , might it be worth looking at them , they also seem to be on form, what does anyone else think?

-------------
saundersfoot scarlets

Date Posted: 05 November 2017 at 2:50pm
Think we have looked at both these players in the past. Are they better than Morgan Williams, Grabham or Prydie? 

Date Posted: 05 November 2017 at 2:54pm
Not sure really but they are playing well and in a side that is winning which might have helped them progress since we looked at them last.
Haven't seen much of Prydie although thought he was OK on Friday , again havehtcseen much of Grabham and haven't seen Morgan Williams at all I'm afraid so can't really comment on him.

-------------
saundersfoot scarlets

Posted By: haydn_davies
Date Posted: 05 November 2017 at 7:53pm
Can't see Dan Jobes playing in the LV, an injury to him pre-SA would be massive with Patchell away with Wales. Same goes for Jon Evans too.

-------------
Think, think, think - it's a thinking man's game!! - The Great Carwyn James.
Just for our SA friends - Weste is die beste!

Posted By: aber-fan
Date Posted: 05 November 2017 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by saundersfootscarlets saundersfootscarlets wrote:

Not sure really but they are playing well and in a side that is winning which might have helped them progress since we looked at them last.
Haven't seen much of Prydie although thought he was OK on Friday , again havehtcseen much of Grabham and haven't seen Morgan Williams at all I'm afraid so can't really comment on him.

I liked the look of Dion Jones when he played for Wales U-20s - presumably, he didn't kick on then... maybe he has now? Haven't seen him play recently.

-------------
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)

Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 05 November 2017 at 8:44pm
Maynard or McBride at 10-12?

Is Tom Williams available?

Date Posted: 05 November 2017 at 8:49pm
  Yes Maynard available McBryde and Morgan Williams with Wales 7s I think and Tom Williams possibly still injured .

Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 06 November 2017 at 4:44am
Thanks Mark

Date Posted: 06 November 2017 at 9:39am
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Originally posted by saundersfootscarlets saundersfootscarlets wrote:

I liked the look of Dion Jones when he played for Wales U-20s - presumably, he didn't kick on then... maybe he has now? Haven't seen him play recently.

Thought he played well on Saturday for rec as did Bagshaw on the wing

-------------
saundersfoot scarlets

Posted By: roy munster
Date Posted: 06 November 2017 at 10:19am
what about morgan williams and conbeer?

-------------
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)

Posted By: Wil Scarlet
Date Posted: 06 November 2017 at 11:20pm
I would rest Lewis Rawlins for the AW. He has had some hard physical games lately.

-------------
Scott Williams - I think I'll cut down on the fags!

Posted By: Dafen Boy
Date Posted: 06 November 2017 at 11:41pm
I wouldn't play hardly any first team squad players for this game

Posted By: hoppy
Date Posted: 07 November 2017 at 1:44am
Live on BT Sport 1 on Sunday

Posted By: ScarletBear
Date Posted: 07 November 2017 at 5:37am
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Conbeer got an ankle sprian for Llanelli RFC, no? Got taken ff as precautionary I think. I'd love to see him given a go.

Date Posted: 07 November 2017 at 6:44am
Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Conbeer got an ankle sprian for Llanelli RFC, no? Got taken ff as precautionary I think. I'd love to see him given a go.

Conbeer out for next 2 weeks leg injury

Posted By: Dai38
Date Posted: 07 November 2017 at 9:05am
It is all down to priorities the team selected will obviously take into account the South African "tour" and the current injuries.

I feel the only people that know all the issues are the coaching team/s of the Scarlets & Anglo-Welsh team.

It will be interesting to see who plays.

-------------
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!

Date Posted: 07 November 2017 at 9:37am
It will be interesting to see who plays ,perhaps those who have only just played a few times need more games but those who have already played a lot might benefit from a rest before South Africa.

-------------
saundersfoot scarlets

Posted By: Ffidel Bennett
Date Posted: 07 November 2017 at 11:00am
These will be very difficult games selection-wise, not only because of Wales, Scotland calls and injuries but as has been mentioned previously the necessity of giving a break to some important players. The fact that it's been shown live on tv also means that we want to avoid an embarrassing defeat. Being ultra-positive you could say it's an opportunity to blood promising or seldom seen players, but I doubt that Exeter will do this to the same degree as they have far fewer calls, and the English clubs seem to be taking this seriously if last weekend's televised matches are anything to go by.
I won't even attempt to pick a squad  for this match.
Best of luck coaches. 

Posted By: diego6754
Date Posted: 07 November 2017 at 12:11pm
Send some lambs to the slaughter and see if they turn in to wolves. Bigger fish to fry.

Posted By: minded
Date Posted: 07 November 2017 at 12:42pm
The other 3 teams in our pool only managed BP losses the weekend just gone, so if we could win this one it'll set us up nicely for Dragons next game.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPLe3ApXjW4&list=PL576FE48C1F044909&index=1" rel="nofollow - Scarlets Tries of the Season 2009 - 2018

Date Posted: 07 November 2017 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by minded minded wrote:

The other 3 teams in our pool only managed BP losses the weekend just gone, so if we could win this one it'll set us up nicely for Dragons next game.

We surely won't take this tournament seriously. Ryan, Dylan, Werne, Bulbring, Rawlins, Beirne, Boyde, Jonathan, Dan, Asquith & Jonny nowhere near the next two weeks please.

Posted By: Fscarlet
Date Posted: 07 November 2017 at 12:52pm

I love the way its perfectly possible to qualify from your group without actually winning a match...

Posted By: Ffidel Bennett
Date Posted: 07 November 2017 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

We surely won't take this tournament seriously. Ryan, Dylan, Werne, Bulbring, Rawlins, Beirne, Boyde, Jonathan, Dan, Asquith & Jonny nowhere near the next two weeks please.

Agreed GPR, but who's left to go into the 23? When did Stephen, Mark Taylor and Ioan Cunningham last play?

Posted By: PE SA
Date Posted: 07 November 2017 at 1:44pm
Going to be a similar side to the British And Irish Cup Scarlets Select side imo.
Sebastian, Daf Hughes, Helps, Price (possibly for game time), Condy, Shaun Evans, Nicholas, Declan Smith, jack Maynard etc

Posted By: Dai38
Date Posted: 07 November 2017 at 1:47pm
PE SA even some of those may be held back.

-------------
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!

Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 07 November 2017 at 2:05pm
Who says there is too much rugby?!!!

-------------
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook

Posted By: NobbySosban
Date Posted: 07 November 2017 at 2:10pm
It's also a chance to getting key combinations working together ahead of the SA tour games, so may see some of the Tescos team among the Lidl squad!

Posted By: supertaf
Date Posted: 07 November 2017 at 2:29pm
Is there any point in this competition for the welsh sides? Maybe our squads are weaker or we supply more to the international sides but it seems the English sides always seem to be able to supply a stronger team yet not compromise their league ambitions. Nice to see the youngsters get their chance but also harsh to throw them in `en block` and get hammered. Does no good then.

-------------
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872

Date Posted: 07 November 2017 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by supertaf supertaf wrote:

Is there any point in this competition for the welsh sides? Maybe our squads are weaker or we supply more to the international sides but it seems the English sides always seem to be able to supply a stronger team yet not compromise their league ambitions. Nice to see the youngsters get their chance but also harsh to throw them in `en block` and get hammered. Does no good then.

I don't see any point to these fixtures. The English national side is selected from 12 teams ours 4. That says it all. Make it a total development team i.e. no more than 5 games for the full team or scrap it. The RFU are calling for a longer season then scrap these fixtures and save a few weeks.

Date Posted: 07 November 2017 at 3:51pm
Its huge pressure on the entire pathway system for us. The Scarlets get lots of players taken off them by Wales and Llanelli gets lots of players/academy players taken off them by Scarlets, leaving both the Scarlets and the RFC very weakened and you then add on the burden of the Anglo-Welsh on Sunday with the Wales 7's and all the injuries that take place anyway and it is just not worth it. We also have BI cup next month as well. Too many games. I still don't see the need for the 4th AI either. A tough month awaits !

-------------
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook

Posted By: solva
Date Posted: 07 November 2017 at 4:09pm
Agreed. There's a world of difference between a 'competitive' match and being thumped.

Date Posted: 07 November 2017 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Its huge pressure on the entire pathway system for us. The Scarlets get lots of players taken off them by Wales and Llanelli gets lots of players/academy players taken off them by Scarlets, leaving both the Scarlets and the RFC very weakened and you then add on the burden of the Anglo-Welsh on Sunday with the Wales 7's and all the injuries that take place anyway and it is just not worth it. We also have BI cup next month as well. Too many games. I still don't see the need for the 4th AI either. A tough month awaits !

Have heard this could be the last season of the BIC cup.

Posted By: scarletnut
Date Posted: 07 November 2017 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

It is

-------------
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1

Date Posted: 07 November 2017 at 5:07pm

Yes. English clubs want to do their own thing. Personally we need a bit of a breather in Wales with our small playing base I feel!

-------------

Date Posted: 07 November 2017 at 7:02pm

Yes. English clubs want to do their own thing. Personally we need a bit of a breather in Wales with our small playing base I feel!

Small compared to whom?  England? South Africa? New Zealand?  It is a big wide world out there.  I doubt most countries with a population of just three million have circa 300 rugby clubs (excluding schools and universities, of course).

Posted By: Dafen Boy
Date Posted: 07 November 2017 at 7:08pm

Small compared to whom?  England? South Africa? New Zealand?  It is a big wide world out there.  I doubt most countries with a population of just three million have circa 300 rugby clubs (excluding schools and universities, of course).

It is not the number of clubs that is the issue, it is the falling rate of participation. Smaller clubs have to do what was and is to some, the unthinkable and merge with neighbours.

Date Posted: 07 November 2017 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by Dafen Boy Dafen Boy wrote:

It is not the number of clubs that is the issue, it is the falling rate of participation. Smaller clubs have to do what was and is to some, the unthinkable and merge with neighbours.

True - even my local team postponed a match on the weekend because so many players were away on a stag-do!  Nevertheless, whatever problems some grassroots clubs have, this doesn't detract from the fact that, especially in the grand scheme of things, Wales is still one of the world's leading rugby nations.  (Rugby needs Wales much more than the other way round).

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net