Scarlets team vs. Exeter Chiefs (AW)

Printed From: Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets
Category: RUGBY
Forum Name: SCARLETS GENERAL
Forum Description: Team News, Season Tickets, Next Match
URL: http://www.scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=43808
Printed Date: 13 December 2017 at 11:20am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Scarlets team vs. Exeter Chiefs (AW)
Posted By: minded
Subject: Scarlets team vs. Exeter Chiefs (AW)
Date Posted: 10 November 2017 at 12:02pm
Scarlets Exeter Chiefs
15. Morgan Williams 15. Phil Dollman
14. Morgan Griffiths 14. Tom O’Flaherty
13. Ioan Nicholas 13. Ollie Devoto
12. Rhodri Jones 12. Sam Hill
11. Tom Rogers 11. James Short
10. Jack Maynard 10. Joe Simmonds
9. Declan Smith 9. Stuart Townsend
1. Rhys Fawcett 1. Alec Hepburn
2. Dafydd Hughes 2. Shaun Malton
3. Simon Gardiner 3. Moray Low
4. Josh Helps 4. Toby Salmon
5. Tom Price 5. Sam Skinner
6. Jack Jones 6. James Freeman
7. Shaun Evans 7. Matt Kvesic
8. Jack Condy (capt) 8. Kai Horstmann (capt)
Replacements    
16. Torin Myhill 16. Luke Cowan-Dickie
17. Steffan Thomas 17. Carl Rimmer
18. Javan Sebastian 18. Greg Holmes
19. Shaun Jones 19. Ed Holmes
20. Dan Davis 20. Dave Ewers
21. Gareth George 21. Jack Maunder
22. Lewis Williams 22. Sam Morley
23. Scott Lloyd 23. Tom Hendrickson

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPLe3ApXjW4&list=PL576FE48C1F044909&index=1" rel="nofollow - Scarlets tries of the season 2009 - 2017

Replies:
Posted By: SospanMawr
Date Posted: 10 November 2017 at 12:03pm
Exciting looking team but can’t help but think they’re heading for a hiding. Hope I’m wrong.

Posted By: Micro Duck
Date Posted: 10 November 2017 at 12:17pm
Those are two sides coming at this competition from completely different perspectives.

-------------
*NEW* KIDS HALFPENNY T SHIRTS
ON SALE NOW

http://llanellitee.spreadshirt.co.uk/" rel="nofollow - http://llanellitee.spreadshirt.co.uk

Posted By: PearlJam
Date Posted: 10 November 2017 at 12:26pm
We've got a Jack Jones at 6 & 8?

-------------
If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose.

Posted By: minded
Date Posted: 10 November 2017 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by PearlJam PearlJam wrote:

Condy at 8 LOL I was writing it out from the image Scarlets posted, was wondering why they replaced the tweet minutes later.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPLe3ApXjW4&list=PL576FE48C1F044909&index=1" rel="nofollow - Scarlets tries of the season 2009 - 2017

Posted By: supertaf
Date Posted: 10 November 2017 at 12:28pm
Tough game ahead

-------------
Scarlets - Pro 12 Champions 2017

Date Posted: 10 November 2017 at 12:29pm
On another note - their back rower on the bench (Dave Ewers) is out of contract at the end of the year. Good 8, with Waldrom and Simmonds ahead of him now.

Posted By: Fscarlet
Date Posted: 10 November 2017 at 12:30pm
Think I need to edit my prediction on the Scarlets Fanzone app, I did have Chiefs by 12 but think I need to extend that....

Posted By: Mr Ian
Date Posted: 10 November 2017 at 12:33pm
Interesting selection against a really strong team...an occasion for our youngsters

Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 10 November 2017 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by Micro Duck Micro Duck wrote:

Those are two sides coming at this competition from completely different perspectives.

Simple analysis, spot on.

Our team isn't as strong as the B&I team we put out, Exeter's is the broader non-regular starting 1st team squad, with a few first teamers thrown in.

How to the RFC is supposed to put out a competitive team in these windows is beyond me.

Best we can hope for is to 'reveal' a few nuggets for the future, and see if some guys who we could do with a good run out, have one.

Date Posted: 10 November 2017 at 12:47pm
I always thought this competition was meant to be a development tournament.

I don't see what Exeter get out of this. 

-------------
ON SALE NOW

http://llanellitee.spreadshirt.co.uk/" rel="nofollow - http://llanellitee.spreadshirt.co.uk

Posted By: Wasp
Date Posted: 10 November 2017 at 12:52pm
Not sure I can bring myself to watch this one. It's semi-pro/ age grade versus Aviva Prem champs.

If they don't put 50+ on us they'll be disappointed

-------------
Supporter of the evil region against the gallant union

Posted By: NobbySosban
Date Posted: 10 November 2017 at 12:52pm
Quite a gap in experience, there. Shocked

As a matter of interest, here's the side we put out for the opening Welsh-Anglo game 7 years ago:

LV= Anglo-Welsh Cup  
06-Nov Parc y Scarlets
Scarlets v Leeds Carnegie
Scarlets (b) 52-13 Leeds
Dan Evans Leigh Hinton
George North James Tincknell
Nick Reynolds Henry Fa'afili
Scott Williams Luther Burrell
Lee Williams Semi Tadulala
Dan Newton Christian Lewis-Pratt
Gareth Davies Warren Fury
Phil John Mike MacDonald
Ken Owens Phil Nilsen
Peter Edwards Phil Swainston
Vernon Cooper © Dominic Barrow
Aaron Shingler James Craig
Jonny Fa'amatuainu Danny Paul
Richie Pugh Kearnan Myall © 
Ben Morgan Alfie To'oala
Rhys Lawrence Miguel Alonso
Rhodri Jones Gareth Denman
Simon Gardiner Jesus Moreno Rodriguez
Dom Day Oli Stedman
Nic Cudd Chris Walker
Martin Roberts Craig Hampson
Steven Shingler Peter Wackett
Lee Rees Joe Barker

Curiously, Simon Gardiner is the only common factor. Was this Scott's first game for Scarlets? He scored two - hope this weekend's team are suitably inspired.

Leeds fielded former Wales scrum-half Warren Fury, but not even having Jesus on their bench saved them from a thrashing.

-------------
Twitterer @ebenezer68

Posted By: Matthew Cardey
Date Posted: 10 November 2017 at 12:54pm
They have thrown in a fair few players that would make there 1st 23, I cant help but think we have a few players of our own who should probably be playing. Likes of Steff hughes, tom prydie have hardly played for us this season.

Posted By: PE SA
Date Posted: 10 November 2017 at 1:08pm
good to see kai horstmann, phil dolman, moray low involved for the chiefs...building for the future.

Hope the match doesn't become a tackling session.

hope we manage to put a good few attacking runs together.

Looking at the amount of players 7yrs ago that are now full regular regional/aviva players, look forward to seeing this crop develop.

Date Posted: 10 November 2017 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by minded minded wrote:

Originally posted by PearlJam PearlJam wrote:

Condy at 8 LOL I was writing it out from the image Scarlets posted, was wondering why they replaced the tweet minutes later.

I genuinely didn't know if we had two Jack Jones' - but Condy, yeah, that now makes sense!

Unless there is a lot of cash for these games, what is the point in the LV? Llanelli and the Drovers are playing each other tomorrow, shorn of a lot of players who are appearing here. And the disparity between Exeter and ourselves is enormous. 

-------------
If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose.

Posted By: Dafen Boy
Date Posted: 10 November 2017 at 1:24pm
The English have loved kicking us when weak for the last 2,000 years. I don't expect that to change.

Funny though, Belfast in the 90's was full of Welsh soldiers, not public school, boys from ChelseaWink

Posted By: Tim Opolis
Date Posted: 10 November 2017 at 1:30pm
Congratulations to the players who will get to wear the famous Scarlet shirt for the first time on Sunday. Good luck boys. 

-------------
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.

Posted By: Ffidel Bennett
Date Posted: 10 November 2017 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by Dafen Boy Dafen Boy wrote:

The English have loved kicking us when weak for the last 2,000 years. I don't expect that to change.

2000 years ago the Angles and Saxons were on the continent where they belonged, and the original British spoke an early version of Welsh. The Romans were the ones trying to keep us down then, and let's face it they had a bit of class and were the best oppressors we ever had. They even managed to build a road connecting north and south Wales - something the English never wanted as it would have kept us one country not two divided regions. Wink

Posted By: Dafen Boy
Date Posted: 10 November 2017 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

2000 years ago the Angles and Saxons were on the continent where they belonged, and the original British spoke an early version of Welsh. The Romans were the ones trying to keep us down then, and let's face it they had a bit of class and were the best oppressors we ever had. They even managed to build a road connecting north and south Wales - something the English never wanted as it would have kept us one country not two divided regions. Wink

Excellent Thumbs Up

Posted By: najbritcol
Date Posted: 10 November 2017 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by Mr Ian Mr Ian wrote:

Interesting selection against a really strong team...an occasion for our youngsters

That is putting it rather politely...

Posted By: 157cb
Date Posted: 10 November 2017 at 3:39pm

All the best to the young Scarlets for Sunday go and make names for yourselves .

Very disappointed to see yet another English referee in charge .

Posted By: supertaf
Date Posted: 10 November 2017 at 3:54pm
Their fans seem to think that they are just fielding 7 players coming back from injury and squad players. Not sure I 100% agree with that.

-------------
Scarlets - Pro 12 Champions 2017

Date Posted: 10 November 2017 at 4:17pm
Anyone where Conbeer, Baldwin and Tom Phillips are? Injured?

-------------

Posted By: PritchyTheScarlet
Date Posted: 10 November 2017 at 4:43pm
This game should be an interesting one, to say the least...

-------------
All Time Favourite Scarlets XV

B Davies, M Jones, R King, J Davies, D James, S Jones, D Peel
R Evans, K Owens, J Davies, V Cooper, C Wyatt, S Easterby, J Davies, S Quinnell

Date Posted: 10 November 2017 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by najbritcol najbritcol wrote:

Haven’t you got anything better to do?

Posted By: Rich (Bris)
Date Posted: 10 November 2017 at 5:22pm

I'm
the original British spoke an early version of Welsh.

It's interesting because (sorry getting very OT) like most, I always thought that but I'm reading an interesting (though very hard work) book by a Cambridge history professor called Stephen Oppenheimer (the History of the British) and he gives a very convincing lot of facts and evidence to conclude that, during the Roman occupation, although there were many Celtic Britons (speaking early versions of Welsh) in much of what is now England and Wales (and SW Scotland) there were also many Belgiums, Saxons, angles and others in SE England, the English Midlands and north and the East - and in fact n those areas there were few if any Celtic speakers (mainly because the early Celtic speaking people arrived in Briton from the West, North West and south West and had not reached those other places in great numbers (and where the Celts dominated other inhabitants took on their language). It was these early Saxon and angle inhabitants in the East who invited (more) Anglo Saxons over to help fight off the Picts and Vikings. This might better explain why the Celtic Britons were called foreigners (leading to the name Welsh) by the Anglo Saxons, because to those long time non-Celtic settlers towards the SE, East, Midlands and NE, they would have been seen as foreigners when any turned up to trade etc.

Just thought I'd share that!

Posted By: mr geraint
Date Posted: 10 November 2017 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

On another note - their back rower on the bench (Dave Ewers) is out of contract at the end of the year. Good 8, with Waldrom and Simmonds ahead of him now.

Rowers is regularly talked of as an England prospect and is a key part of the Chiefs’ side.

He’s been injured but I would be amazed if he left Exeter. And if he did it would be for big French money.

Date Posted: 10 November 2017 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by Rich (Bris) Rich (Bris) wrote:

I'm
the original British spoke an early version of Welsh.

It's interesting because (sorry getting very OT) like most, I always thought that but I'm reading an interesting (though very hard work) book by a Cambridge history professor called Stephen Oppenheimer (the History of the British) and he gives a very convincing lot of facts and evidence to conclude that, during the Roman occupation, although there were many Celtic Britons (speaking early versions of Welsh) in much of what is now England and Wales (and SW Scotland) there were also many Belgiums, Saxons, angles and others in SE England, the English Midlands and north and the East - and in fact n those areas there were few if any Celtic speakers (mainly because the early Celtic speaking people arrived in Briton from the West, North West and south West and had not reached those other places in great numbers (and where the Celts dominated other inhabitants took on their language). It was these early Saxon and angle inhabitants in the East who invited (more) Anglo Saxons over to help fight off the Picts and Vikings. This might better explain why the Celtic Britons were called foreigners (leading to the name Welsh) by the Anglo Saxons, because to those long time non-Celtic settlers towards the SE, East, Midlands and NE, they would have been seen as foreigners when any turned up to trade etc.

Just thought I'd share that!

Ah...More Disinformation - Fake news- next he'll be saying that the royal family are English.
Oppenheimer -German name - Germans/English they're all the same. Wink

Posted By: solva
Date Posted: 10 November 2017 at 6:18pm
Utterly daft to be playing this game.....a similar (maybe stronger) team earlier this year were smashed 84-7 or so by Ealing....cannot see the point. 

Date Posted: 10 November 2017 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by mr geraint mr geraint wrote:

Rowers is regularly talked of as an England prospect and is a key part of the Chiefs’ side.

He’s been injured but I would be amazed if he left Exeter. And if he did it would be for big French money.
Fair enough, thanks.

Posted By: M.M.
Date Posted: 10 November 2017 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by solva solva wrote:

Utterly daft to be playing this game.....a similar (maybe stronger) team earlier this year were smashed 84-7 or so by Ealing....cannot see the point. 

I went up there for that game. It was a bit embarrassing.

We're on a hiding to nothing on Sunday but I hope the players use it as an opportunity to show what they can do. If they give it their best shot I won't be disappointed. 

Posted By: ladram
Date Posted: 10 November 2017 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by najbritcol najbritcol wrote:

does the ospreys forum miss you?with you being an osprey fan kike.

-------------
30th june 1986- 30th june 2011.25 years roofing,i wouldn't call that dodgy.

Posted By: scarletsrules
Date Posted: 10 November 2017 at 7:48pm
The players representing the Scarlets Sunday will see this as an oppurtunity to put their case forward to possibly be included in the Scarlets touring squad to SA.
It is a shame that a few players who havent played much together that will be starting in SA arent selected here as they did seem rusty against Treviso last weekend but understandably Pivac doesnt want to risk injury.

With all the teams in our group losing last weekend, this tournament could actually be a decent chance of a Semi final but with the inexperience here in our team compared to Exeters its going to be tough.

Its winnable though, look at the comeback against a pretty strong Bath team last season , lets hope we have the same never say die attitude Sunday

Date Posted: 10 November 2017 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by scarletsrules scarletsrules wrote:

The players representing the Scarlets Sunday will see this as an oppurtunity to put their case forward to possibly be included in the Scarlets touring squad to SA.
It is a shame that a few players who havent played much together that will be starting in SA arent selected here as they did seem rusty against Treviso last weekend but understandably Pivac doesnt want to risk injury.

With all the teams in our group losing last weekend, this tournament could actually be a decent chance of a Semi final but with the inexperience here in our team compared to Exeters its going to be tough.

Its winnable though, look at the comeback against a pretty strong Bath team last season , lets hope we have the same never say die attitude Sunday

Exactly Josh a development tournament what a chance for these young  Scarlets have a look at the Bath 23 that came down last year very strong and what a fantastic win it was .

So all supporters going down on Sunday get behind the Scarlets average age 22, some great talent in this squad best of luck bois !!!!

Date Posted: 10 November 2017 at 8:44pm
Who’s everyone looking forward to seeing?
Personally want to see how Morgan Williams, Shaun Evans and Rhys Fawcett go.

Date Posted: 10 November 2017 at 9:11pm

Who’s everyone looking forward to seeing?
Personally want to see how Morgan Williams, Shaun Evans and Rhys Fawcett go.

All the squad but Jack Maynard,Dafydd Hughes,Javan Sebastian and Jack Condy especially

Date Posted: 10 November 2017 at 10:45pm
The biggest advantage we have is that Exeter will see this as a piece of cake without knowing what our players can and will do. They can't know this because they're hardly likely to have seen or heard of some of our players- I certainly haven't seen at least 5 of the 23.  So boys have faith in your own ability and don't be afraid to do what you do best - you have nothing to lose!!!

Posted By: Sosban bach
Date Posted: 11 November 2017 at 2:26am
Thomas Rodgers on the wing, saw him for the rfc against Swansea scored two tries and has some great talent. Hope he and the rest to well Sunday.

Date Posted: 11 November 2017 at 5:38am
Very challenging to any youngster to shine in that team match up.

Anything less than a 40 point margin would be an admirable result.

Sincerely hope I'm totally wrong.

Pob lwc.

Posted By: dantheman
Date Posted: 11 November 2017 at 5:08pm
The Anglo Welsh has been a great proving ground over the years for us. Numerous players have proved their capabilities at a higher level and we've benefited from that. To facilitate that we have usually picked mix and match teams with experienced guys looking for game time complementing the youngsters.

I don't think this selection gives the most promising youngsters any chance to prove themselves. Guys like Nicholas, Evans and Fawcett will get no ball to work with and will be constantly on the back foot.

There are a load of established pros in our squad who have hardly had any game time such as Asquith, Dan Jones, Steff Hughes, Grabham, Prydie etc who could have really done with an outing. We are going to go to S.A. for example with a 12,13 combo who have never played with each other and risk going in massively undercooked.

I completely disagree with this selection tbh.

Posted By: saundersfootscarlets
Date Posted: 11 November 2017 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by dantheman dantheman wrote:

The Anglo Welsh has been a great proving ground over the years for us. Numerous players have proved their capabilities at a higher level and we've benefited from that. To facilitate that we have usually picked mix and match teams with experienced guys looking for game time complementing the youngsters.

I don't think this selection gives the most promising youngsters any chance to prove themselves. Guys like Nicholas, Evans and Fawcett will get no ball to work with and will be constantly on the back foot.

There are a load of established pros in our squad who have hardly had any game time such as Asquith, Dan Jones, Steff Hughes, Grabham, Prydie etc who could have really done with an outing. We are going to go to S.A. for example with a 12,13 combo who have never played with each other and risk going in massively undercooked.

I completely disagree with this selection tbh.

Yes I agree that there are players who needed games before South africa

-------------
saundersfoot scarlets

Posted By: roy munster
Date Posted: 12 November 2017 at 3:04pm
can we get this somewhere online?

-------------
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)

Date Posted: 12 November 2017 at 3:11pm
http://cricfree.cc/bt-sport-1-live-streaming

Date Posted: 12 November 2017 at 3:15pm
Interesting start for the boys, good moves

Date Posted: 12 November 2017 at 3:21pm

Thanks mr IanTongue
ps any idea how to move the ads off the screen

-------------

Date Posted: 12 November 2017 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Thanks mr IanTongue
ps any idea how to move the ads off the screen

Normally you close the cross on the Windows, if doesn t work, refresh the page

Date Posted: 12 November 2017 at 3:40pm
try exeter

-------------

Date Posted: 12 November 2017 at 3:40pm
Scarlets lads doing well .. patchy stream here...0-12 after 35.

Date Posted: 12 November 2017 at 3:42pm
Defence was really good for a long time, Exeter just kept coming and coming though and didnt make errors

-------------

Date Posted: 12 November 2017 at 3:50pm
We had the occasions in First half but dont capitalize...really good first half defending well against bigger players...for many of youngesters this isn t only a match, but the occasion for realize their dream of rugby pro

Date Posted: 12 November 2017 at 3:55pm
Physically it's clearly men against boys. Shame Jack missed the pens but we're competing very well.

-------------

Posted By: ap sior
Date Posted: 12 November 2017 at 3:57pm
Commentators are appalling. Is there another team on the pitch ?

Last scrum should have been a pen to us. Exeter 9 passed the ball backwards, it was knocked forward and the 9 played it. Couldn't the ref see that he was in front of the ball ? Additionally, the 9 was on the floor when he played it. If you're off your feet you are out of the game !!!!!

Also, can someone point out to the ref that Exeter are diving over nearly every ruck and going off their feet ?

And people complain about the standard of PRO14 refereeing !

Posted By: ap sior
Date Posted: 12 November 2017 at 3:59pm
I must compliment the Scarlet 15 on their effort and application. 

Hope the ref stays impartial if Exeter stay on top.

Posted By: 2ndtimeround
Date Posted: 12 November 2017 at 4:39pm
Farcical missmatch in a pointless tournament. Would much rather see an regional academy cup played for the development of our youngsters than watch them get steam rollered by full professionals.

Posted By: scarletnut
Date Posted: 12 November 2017 at 4:45pm
This tournament is a complete and utter waste of time

-------------
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1

Posted By: Mrfwon
Date Posted: 12 November 2017 at 4:52pm
Don't see the point in this tournament any more when the likes of the AVIVA teams continuously field close to full strength teams! D

-------------
Guinness Pro 12 Champions 2017...get in!

Posted By: callaway
Date Posted: 12 November 2017 at 4:54pm
Pointless tournament. Poor reffing and appalling biased commentating 😡

Date Posted: 12 November 2017 at 5:04pm
Some of those lads will have pulled the shirt on for the first time, and they will have all learnt from it. Congrats to them, they didn't leave anything out on the field.

I don't actually blame Exeter, the tournament terms of reference isn't clear, and so clubs can use it for multiple purposes.

With a full 15+ players on international duty, we simply couldn't afford to put a clutch of players we need for the SA games on the pitch today...we are ultimately spread too thinly to support this event with anything other than what we did...

You just hope other teams have the same challenges and present a similar profile team...not the case with Exeter of course.

We'd be better off having Regional A games outside of the International window...at least 6 games a year of similar profile games.

Date Posted: 12 November 2017 at 5:22pm
how did condy and morgan williams do

-------------

Date Posted: 12 November 2017 at 5:26pm
I'd like to echo what some have said about the commentary team, who would have cheered on Goliath in his bout with David, and made little effort to conceal their bias.
Even when there was a Scarlet player down with a serious injury they were jabbering on about their beloved English Premier sides. It took them a good few minutes to note that someone was down and another to reveal that it was Declan Smith just as he was being stretchered off.
Couldn't they find someone with a little local knowledge who  at least knew our players and could pronounce their names.
Mrs Easterby was on the touchline but she's so servile that it hardly compensated for the two little Englanders in the box.
The boys gave their all and more. No-one should feel ashamed of their efforts.  

Date Posted: 12 November 2017 at 6:07pm
Proud of the boys for their effort for a much stronger side physically , but who could only score 3 penalty tries through a dominant scrum and 2 rumble-over efforts with only 1 score from open play.
They did tire but really stick to their task , though that Condy looked pretty good plus all the outside backs.
Looked a reasonable crowd as well so well done to all who went.

-------------
saundersfoot scarlets

Posted By: swissscarlets
Date Posted: 12 November 2017 at 6:31pm
Great effort by the Scarlets 23. Gutted they got 3 penalty tries.

-------------
west is best.

Posted By: dantheman
Date Posted: 12 November 2017 at 6:37pm
Didn't see the game, anybody stand out.

We could do with a few outside backs as cover over the next month.

Posted By: greypower1
Date Posted: 12 November 2017 at 6:58pm
Saw it on telly, none of the backs look capable of stepping up. However they were on the back foot,tackling huge guys for all the game, bar the first five minutes. Also If Declan is badly injured we've got no scrum half cover for South Africa. 🤔🤔

-------------
Keep the faith

Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 12 November 2017 at 7:07pm
Great effort from a semi pro side against a well packed Exeter side with large pack and team of professional players. Their pack gave them their platform and we were on the back foot all game. Shocking penalty miss from us to give us a confidence boosting start right in front of posts set the scene. Another easy shot also badly missed but there was only one outcome. Can't see the benefit to us playing this tournament when no chance of progressing. 

-------------
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook

Date Posted: 12 November 2017 at 7:11pm
Think it is difficult for the backs to look good when they are do over-powered but still felt that they defended well as shown by the fact that Exeter only scored 1 try through the backs and it is more difficult to make headway agains a physically stronger side but still felt they showed some potential given the mis-match of the team's

-------------
saundersfoot scarlets

Posted By: Legendinmybathroom
Date Posted: 12 November 2017 at 7:32pm
Went to the game hoping to watch a good game of rugby but it didn’t work out that way. It was a complete mismatch, just as the whole weekends fixtures have been, with a different ethos between the English teams and the Welsh teams in the competition.
The English teams seem to take the competition very seriously, fielding very strong sides whilst the Welsh teams use this competition as a chance to look at players from the feeder clubs.
It was an enjoyable first half with the young Scarlets going through the phases (without getting over the gain line) but at least showing a willingness to try and create and without coughing up the ball too much either, whilst the chief often just played the territory game and scored 2 tries from very close range.
The second half was a complete joke, with the referee (who was English and who the commentators said would have plenty of empathy for the game as he had been fast tracked after giving up playing for the Quins just last year) continuously penalising the Scarlets pack at every scrum, giving them 3 penalty tries and sin binning 2 Scarlet front rowers. That completely ruined the game as a spectacle and the players certainly didn’t deserve to be on the end of that shoreline.
Saying that, Exeter did what they do best and took full advantage of the situation. But I for one, certainly wouldn’t want to watch that territory and forwards based rugby week in and week out, give me a team that plays or tries to play entertaining rugby any day of week.
I agree with a few comments above about the future of this competition in its current guise and whether we should look at some kind of regional A team competition to run during the autumn internationals and 6 nations.

Posted By: aber-fan
Date Posted: 12 November 2017 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by Mrfwon Mrfwon wrote:

Don't see the point in this tournament any more when the likes of the AVIVA teams continuously field close to full strength teams! D

Yes, indeed.

It says something about the teams when I have to admit to being familiar with more of the names of Exeter players, than I was with those in the Scarlets 23. 

I suppose that this was within the rules, but did it prove anything? Maybe that their 1st/2nd team is better than our 3rds. Big deal.

-------------
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)

Posted By: s.pimpernel
Date Posted: 12 November 2017 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Do we financially benefit at all from this tournament?

-------------
In Pivac we trust

Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 12 November 2017 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Originally posted by Mrfwon Mrfwon wrote:

Yes, indeed.

It says something about the teams when I have to admit to being familiar with more of the names of Exeter players, than I was with those in the Scarlets 23. 

I suppose that this was within the rules, but did it prove anything? Maybe that their 1st/2nd team is better than our 3rds. Big deal.
it wasn’t even our third side. It was a regional mix of semi prosand a scratch side. Weaker than our BI team . A real downer. Our lads played so well and not fair on them to be honest. Don’t see the plus in it in all sincerity.

-------------
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook

Date Posted: 12 November 2017 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by greypower1 greypower1 wrote:

Saw it on telly, none of the backs look capable of stepping up. However they were on the back foot,tackling huge guys for all the game, bar the first five minutes. Also If Declan is badly injured we've got no scrum half cover for South Africa. 🤔🤔

I wouldn't say that none of our backs looked capable of stepping up but it's true that they were at a huge disadvantage compared to the Chiefs backs in that they rarely had the ball on the front foot and had to do a lot of tiring  tackling without missing much. However the Chiefs backs didn't look much better with all the advantages that they had and several were regular first teamers.
I also thought that Tom Rogers did show glimpses of talent, fire and intelligence and he's only 18. 

Date Posted: 13 November 2017 at 12:01am
Condy is too small. He looked tiny out there next to Exeter's backs. I can't believe he is 17st+

Our backs were ok, Tom Rogers and Morgan Williams showed some skill and Ioan Nicholas too, but they were always going backwards.

Generally the back row put in a huge shift but as a team we were so underpowered that we lost yards in defence and attack. We were also clearly blowing by half time. That they kept fighting until the end was credit to our boys.

Exeter won at a canter. If they had upped the intensity it would have been 60 points. The one thing I took from this is our youngsters, in the main are too small for pro rugby. 
 You can see why North was playing for the firsts at 18 and these kids aren't. It's hard to tell how much difference a fully pro S&C regime would make but we just couldn't make the slightest impact going into tackles. 

They could take us high and not need to double tackle, meaning they could fill the field and any skill advantages we may have had were nullified.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 November 2017 at 12:02am
Originally posted by s.pimpernel s.pimpernel wrote:

Do we financially benefit at all from this tournament?

It was televised, so there must be something on it.

-------------

Posted By: Bryn A! Wel!
Date Posted: 13 November 2017 at 4:15am
Was at the game and felt so sorry for the lads who were sacrificed like lambs to the slaughter. Necessary, perhaps, to protect our AI squad for the SA games, but hardly of any benefit to the Scarlets, or the boys who took the field. They would have learnt that if they harbour any ambitions of playing at Pro14 level, that they need to bulk up massively. Some of them, despite having the talent, may decide that they don't want that. Whatever they decide, they can be happy that they did not let the Scarlets down, when they got the chance to represent, because they stuck to their task (which was for the most part tackling) manfully. Well done the lads.

Referee was diabolical, no empathy with the players - Scarlets that is.

-------------
Fy nheml sy'n yr Emlyn

Posted By: ladram
Date Posted: 13 November 2017 at 6:17am

I'd like to echo what some have said about the commentary team, who would have cheered on Goliath in his bout with David, and made little effort to conceal their bias.
Even when there was a Scarlet player down with a serious injury they were jabbering on about their beloved English Premier sides. It took them a good few minutes to note that someone was down and another to reveal that it was Declan Smith just as he was being stretchered off.
Couldn't they find someone with a little local knowledge who  at least knew our players and could pronounce their names.
Mrs Easterby was on the touchline but she's so servile that it hardly compensated for the two little Englanders in the box.
The boys gave their all and more. No-one should feel ashamed of their efforts.  
david won that one.LOL

-------------
30th june 1986- 30th june 2011.25 years roofing,i wouldn't call that dodgy.

Posted By: greypower1
Date Posted: 13 November 2017 at 9:00am
Yes, but your not allowed to use sling shots to bring down opposition attackers in rugby 😁

-------------
Keep the faith

Posted By: GPR - Rochester
Date Posted: 13 November 2017 at 9:24am
I tend to agree that these pointless mismatches serve no benefit. Obviously you try to take positives from any game. Condy, as we all knew, is a handful. He gets go forward & has the dog to succeed at the top level. The young wing Rogers looks full of potential. He is tall and pretty well built with an eye for a gap. Worryingly our scrum was hammered being penalised 8 times and coughing up two yellows and penalty tries. Fawcett had a very difficult day - up against Moray Low with 30+ Scottish caps who was replaced by Holmes who has a handful of Australian caps!!!!

Declan will probably miss the South Africa trip so I guess the non selection of so many of our potential South Africa squad is justified. I guess Grabham will now cover the bench scrum half position against the Kings/Cheetahs. 

Posted By: Roger
Date Posted: 13 November 2017 at 9:34am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

I tend to agree that these pointless mismatches serve no benefit. Obviously you try to take positives from any game. Condy, as we all knew, is a handful. He gets go forward & has the dog to succeed at the top level. The young wing Rogers looks full of potential. He is tall and pretty well built with an eye for a gap. Worryingly our scrum was hammered being penalised 8 times and coughing up two yellows and penalty tries. Fawcett had a very difficult day - up against Moray Low with 30+ Scottish caps who was replaced by Holmes who has a handful of Australian caps!!!!

Declan will probably miss the South Africa trip so I guess the non selection of so many of our potential South Africa squad is justified. I guess Grabham will now cover the bench scrum half position against the Kings/Cheetahs. 

I think Grabham has just had surgery on his knee, just when we needed him most.

Date Posted: 13 November 2017 at 9:51am
The Exeter defensive line was relentless, they pushed our boys back at will & with ease. Dont like this tournament in its current guise, I think it is pointless & this is shown by the results of all the Welsh sides.

Thought the young tighthead who came on was unlucky to be sin binned, I know it was an accumulation of all of Gardiners offences but still that was his first (possibly second) scrum.

Posted By: Raised By Peregos
Date Posted: 13 November 2017 at 11:37am
Hi, long time reader, first time poster...

I was at the game yesterday... a few thoughts....

The Chiefs supported behind said this was a second team with some first teamers. That strength was most apparent in the front row when they bought on England international Cowan-Dickie in the second half. The props have already been mentioned. We had our, what, 4th and 5th (at best) choice LHs and 3rd and 4th choice THs and 4th/5th and 6th choice hookers (counting Davies and Emyr) and yet the referring of the scrums was still appalling. At one point it wheeled... reset... another point... penalty...

The Ref was awful... it's already been mentioned but... the diving over at the rucks was so bad even the Chiefs supporter was getting hacked off. 

Hadn't seen Maynard play before but I wasn't too impressed. His kicks end over end which hurts his distance, he never took the ball to the line, and didn't seem to have much flair or a sense of how to control a game. 

On the plus side, the first half was entertaining and the boys showed lots of endeavor, if not results. They were certainly boys, but threw themselves into tackles. Only one try was scored from open play really. The back row did well... Condy was tireless and made good yards, Shaun Evans tackled everything, Jack Jones did some good work on defense and a couple of nice drives. 

The outside backs were game with both wingers showing potential. I actually preferred Morgan Griffiths to the other wing, he showed some good power. 

A lot of these guys were making their debuts and I don't think the score reflected the effort they put in, especially before it became a scrum fest in the second half. 

A special shout out to the scrum half who came on for Declan Smith... must be the smallest guy I've ever seen play for the Scarlets... or maybe anyone!

Date Posted: 13 November 2017 at 11:47am
I see the Fail have decided that Wales lost 174-19 to England this weekend...

Posted By: coldith
Date Posted: 13 November 2017 at 12:34pm
Any news on Declan’s injury?

Posted By: gnasher1975
Date Posted: 13 November 2017 at 1:13pm
Exeter starting prop had 37 caps for scotland, 5 of their starting players played in the premiership final last year.....hardly development

Date Posted: 13 November 2017 at 1:28pm
I don't understand why we didn't use the game to try out some unfamiliar combinations.

We coud've tried Dinky, Steff Hughes and Asquith 10-13 to see how the combo goes before the South Africa trip.

-------------
ON SALE NOW

Posted By: GPR - Rochester
Date Posted: 13 November 2017 at 1:32pm

I don't understand why we didn't use the game to try out some unfamiliar combinations.

We coud've tried Dinky, Steff Hughes and Asquith 10-13 to see how the combo goes before the South Africa trip.

What would have been the point in exposing the 3 named players to an afternoon of tackling duty. Truth is we were totally underpowered up front & it showed. No back wants to play in games like that. 

Posted By: Eastern outpost
Date Posted: 13 November 2017 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by Raised By Peregos Raised By Peregos wrote:

Hi, long time reader, first time poster...

I was at the game yesterday... a few thoughts....

The Chiefs supported behind said this was a second team with some first teamers. That strength was most apparent in the front row when they bought on England international Cowan-Dickie in the second half. The props have already been mentioned. We had our, what, 4th and 5th (at best) choice LHs and 3rd and 4th choice THs and 4th/5th and 6th choice hookers (counting Davies and Emyr) and yet the referring of the scrums was still appalling. At one point it wheeled... reset... another point... penalty...

The Ref was awful... it's already been mentioned but... the diving over at the rucks was so bad even the Chiefs supporter was getting hacked off. 

Hadn't seen Maynard play before but I wasn't too impressed. His kicks end over end which hurts his distance, he never took the ball to the line, and didn't seem to have much flair or a sense of how to control a game. 

On the plus side, the first half was entertaining and the boys showed lots of endeavor, if not results. They were certainly boys, but threw themselves into tackles. Only one try was scored from open play really. The back row did well... Condy was tireless and made good yards, Shaun Evans tackled everything, Jack Jones did some good work on defense and a couple of nice drives. 

The outside backs were game with both wingers showing potential. I actually preferred Morgan Griffiths to the other wing, he showed some good power. 

A lot of these guys were making their debuts and I don't think the score reflected the effort they put in, especially before it became a scrum fest in the second half. 

A special shout out to the scrum half who came on for Declan Smith... must be the smallest guy I've ever seen play for the Scarlets... or maybe anyone!

Welcome. Keep posting.

-------------
Any offence taken on board is only a literate/cy consequence. Every attempt at humour is just that. No personal insult intended. Standards lowered for trolls.

Posted By: scarletnut
Date Posted: 13 November 2017 at 1:34pm

If those players get injured then we are in big trouble in SA. I don't think it was a risk worth taking

-------------
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1

Posted By: scarletsrules
Date Posted: 13 November 2017 at 2:05pm

If those players get injured then we are in big trouble in SA. I don't think it was a risk worth taking

Where as A part of me does tend to agree it wasnt a risk worth taking, if we end up losing a game in SA because our players were rusty after not playing together then we will look back on these games as a lost oppurtunity, IMo we should have named a stronger team yesterday and then rested everyone this weekend against the Drags, or vice versa we name a strong team to take on the Drags to get them some game time , as a lot of the team travelling to SA havent played together this season

Posted By: sw19
Date Posted: 13 November 2017 at 2:14pm
Didn't Sarra Elgan highlight that on BT after the game?Wink

Posted By: scarlet_rob
Date Posted: 13 November 2017 at 9:16pm
Would we do better if the squad was coached by our first team coaching?

Date Posted: 13 November 2017 at 10:03pm
Waste of time. Scratch team, novice coaches, not much familiarity between players, very few of those players will feature for the 1st XV this season.

-------------

Posted By: Mundoscarlet
Date Posted: 15 November 2017 at 5:48am
If players are rusty after let's be honest, training together still all week, then we deserve to lose. The first teamers who will be available won't have been sat on their backsides at home, they will be working day in day out with the first team coaches.

Posted By: Matthew Cardey
Date Posted: 15 November 2017 at 9:40am
Impressed with Tom rogers looked a handful on the wing. Thought dafydd hughes put himself about pretty well at hooker.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2015 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk