Forum Description: Team News, Season Tickets, Next Match
URL: https://scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=43816
Printed Date: 28 March 2024 at 9:23am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Confirmed: Barclay to Edinburgh
Posted By: T_RICHARDS_94
Subject: Confirmed: Barclay to Edinburgh
Date Posted: 15 November 2017 at 12:27pm

Scotland captain John Barclay has agreed to join Edinburgh from Scarlets from next season.

The back-row, 31, has been with the Welsh region since leaving Glasgow Warriors in 2013, and captained them to the Pro12 title last year.

Capped 64 times by Scotland, Barclay will bring a wealth of experience to a side that has placed no higher than eighth in the last six league seasons.

Edinburgh are expected to formally announce his signing next week.

-------------
Writer for https://theprorugbyclub.wordpress.com/" rel="nofollow - The Rugby Club

Replies:
Date Posted: 15 November 2017 at 12:28pm
I'm pretty confident we wouldn't allow him to leave without a replacement already lined up. Moriarty?

-------------
Writer for https://theprorugbyclub.wordpress.com/" rel="nofollow - The Rugby Club

Posted By: Mr Ian
Date Posted: 15 November 2017 at 12:31pm
Cant blame him for the choice, at 31 maybe his last important contract, he did, and will do, for us and important job...tnx for all

Posted By: SospanMawr
Date Posted: 15 November 2017 at 12:31pm
Gutted by this. Up there with Lyons and King as the best NWQ signings we’ve ever made in my book.

Posted By: Exkixu
Date Posted: 15 November 2017 at 12:37pm
Very sorry to see him go. Hopefully with another trophy (or 2) under his belt and a big Flower of Scotland sending off.

All the best to him.

-------------
1 Xavier Rush   2 Rhys Priestland   3 David Lyons   Cardiff Blues - Scarlets, 26/09/09      

More carries than any of our forwards. Priestland Fan Club Proud Member

Posted By: supertaf
Date Posted: 15 November 2017 at 12:38pm
It's no surprise though, as I have posted on numerous occasions, he had said that he would return to Scotland in an interview a while ago

-------------
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872

Posted By: ChrisX
Date Posted: 15 November 2017 at 12:44pm
gutted, be sorry to see John leave, been a fantastic player for us - please hope there is some good news on the way...

Posted By: Dafen Boy
Very disappointed, but not surprised.  Top bloke, he deserves success.  I guess Edinburgh is a better place to live and bring up kids in many ways than Llanelli.

Local talent is they way to go for us or non British NWQ's.

We rebuilt Barclay and discovered Beirne...at least we won the Pro 12.

Posted By: 157cb
 Thanks and all the best to John Barclay been a great Scarlet and fantastic clubman !!

All the best at Edinburgh !!

Posted By: thommo
Date Posted: 15 November 2017 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by Dafen Boy Dafen Boy wrote:

Very disappointed, but not surprised.  Top bloke, he deserves success.  I guess Edinburgh is a better place to live and bring up kids in many ways than Llanelli.

Local talent is they way to go for us or non British NWQ's.

We rebuilt Barclay and discovered Beirne...at least we won the Pro 12.
Yeah if they like cold weather. No Cefn Sidan or Joe's ice cream in Edinburgh.
Costa Del Llanelli for me every time.Wink

Posted By: redeyes
Date Posted: 15 November 2017 at 1:01pm
I wish John all the best, but this is a big blow to the scarlets.

-------------
The stadium may change, but the dream will remain the same!

Posted By: judith
Date Posted: 15 November 2017 at 1:07pm
Gutted. A real shame. Been one of our shrewdest signings.

Posted By: welshbenny
Date Posted: 15 November 2017 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

Gutted by this. Up there with Lyons and King as the best NWQ signings we’ve ever made in my book.

Agreed, though I'd add Easterby to that list.

Pob Lwc John. Great servant.

Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 15 November 2017 at 1:27pm
He's been great for us...he was a great signing at a time we were struggling to attract top players...always given 100% to the club and shirt.

We were also great for him, his international career re-ignited of late, and then becoming Scotland skip.

Wish him all the best, and I'm sure he will want to go out on a high for the club. He'll be missed.

Posted By: PE SA
Date Posted: 15 November 2017 at 1:38pm
John Barclay has been an absolute dynamite of a signing both on and off the pitch.
Such a pleasure to have watched him play for the Scarlets.
He has given us his all.
I hope morriarity is not his replacement.

Posted By: PearlJam
Date Posted: 15 November 2017 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by redeyes redeyes wrote:

I wish John all the best, but this is a big blow to the scarlets.

Well, is it? Have we offered him a deal or have we realized that to move forward we've got to free up funds and someone like John, at 31, is a sacrifice to move forward? I don't know the answer to that - but if we've let him go, then I don't think it's a blow.

It's a shame, yes, but if we're contingency planning then there's reasoning for it.

Regardless, what a player. 

-------------
If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose.

Posted By: Mugwuffin
Date Posted: 15 November 2017 at 1:54pm
Barclay has been great for us. He's certainly up there with the likes of King and Easterby as one of our best ever non-Welsh signings. I'm sure our younger players will have learned a lot from him over the years in terms of decision making, skills, professionalism, commitment and work rate. Let's hope he leaves us with another winners medal in his pocket.

Posted By: Sandman
Date Posted: 15 November 2017 at 2:12pm
With Barclay leaving, we really need to secure the signatures of Cubby, McLoed and Boyde, if we haven’t already. Added to that we need a certain R Moriarty on our pay roll. When we loose a play of the likes of Barclay, we need to replace him with the same calibre. As we did with Sanj for Halfpenny.

-------------
Only one team plays in red. (Sorry, Scarlet)

Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 15 November 2017 at 2:26pm
If true I will try my best to avoid thinking of that arrogant little coach of theirs Richard Cockerill and his smirking chops 😡

Posted By: mammamammon
Date Posted: 15 November 2017 at 2:34pm
Great player and really nice guy. I suspect we had him in his prime. Wish him well for the future.

-------------
mammamammon

www.hopemalawiuk.com

Posted By: Scarletrover
Date Posted: 15 November 2017 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

He's been great for us...he was a great signing at a time we were struggling to attract top players...always given 100% to the club and shirt.

We were also great for him, his international career re-ignited of late, and then becoming Scotland skip.

Wish him all the best, and I'm sure he will want to go out on a high for the club. He'll be missed.
Agreed. I suppose that we have to consider also the fallout from the re-starting of John's International career, in that we have lost him during the International windows, when he was SO important to us, and that, considering that there would be no financial recompense from the SRU during his absences, he would then have been, in effect one of our most expensive players.
The reality is, even though John has been brilliant for us, as a player and as a Scarlet, commercial considerations sometimes have to take priority.
Much as we'll all miss John, an abrasive, ball-carrying second row or 8 who's available all season might now be a better option.

Thank you JB for everything, and all the very best for the future to you and your family.     

-------------
http://www.scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9579&PN=1&TPN=1">

Posted By: NorthWalianScarlet
Date Posted: 15 November 2017 at 4:55pm
Sad to see you go John, but like so many here on this forum, I'm grateful for everything you have done in the Scarlets shirt. You have been outstanding as a player and a gentleman and a fine example to other young players in the squad, academy players and young supporters who will be looking to follow in your great foot steps. It has been a privilege seeing you in a Scarlets jersey, and I look forward to seeing you continue in the jersey for the rest of this current season.

As an aside, John, fancy coming back to coach us one day? 

-------------
NorthWalianScarlets

Posted By: cymraes
Date Posted: 15 November 2017 at 5:18pm
  He's been a colossus for us, given so much to the region and leaves a legacy.  A good man, he will be  sadly missed - and given a good mauling when we play Edinburgh next year!! Hope he goes with good memories of his time down west.  

Posted By: Speedy
Date Posted: 15 November 2017 at 6:08pm
A massive loss, but as said already, once he quite rightly regained his international status it was tough to keep him.

I was hoping we may have hung onto him to get the benefit of his twighlight years once his international career was over.

As for us smarting, think how the Glasgow fans feel. They were gutted he came to us from them as champions, now he`s gone to Edinburgh.

He is up there with some of our best imports, for me alongside Dai Hodges as a leader by example.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN7pGq1i2jhev2YLcZ89h7Q/videos" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN7pGq1i2jhev2YLcZ89h7Q/videos

Posted By: Speedy
Date Posted: 15 November 2017 at 6:09pm
He has written himself into Scarlets history in his stay here tho, and will always receive a very warm welcome on his return.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN7pGq1i2jhev2YLcZ89h7Q/videos" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN7pGq1i2jhev2YLcZ89h7Q/videos

Posted By: onlyturkinthevillage
Date Posted: 15 November 2017 at 6:37pm
Great player for us, really gutted to see him go always given 100%.
The Scarlets have been very good to him regarding his international career, he has always been given the required time away from the club.
The door is open now for a beast of a number 8 to come in. Fingers crossed.

Posted By: Why
Date Posted: 15 November 2017 at 6:44pm
Gutted one of my favourite Scarlet imports he will give all I'm sure till he goes a true gent and great rugby player

-------------
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 15 November 2017 at 6:49pm
Best of luck JB. What a legend. We will miss you.

Posted By: Mogwen
Date Posted: 15 November 2017 at 6:59pm
Pob lwc John a diolch am y atgofion.

-------------
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Posted By: swissscarlets
Date Posted: 15 November 2017 at 7:10pm
Good luck John and thanks for all the memories in a Scarlet shirt.

-------------
west is best.

Posted By: gaffer
Date Posted: 15 November 2017 at 7:50pm
Always gives 100% in the Scarlets shirt. He's been a model of professionalism since 2013. Good luck for the future.

If, as rumoured, we are looking at Ross Moriarty as his replacement, then his current injury problems are a concern.

-------------
What's going on?

Posted By: ladram
Date Posted: 15 November 2017 at 8:20pm
terrific player who always gave his all,one thing is for sure we really need some positive signing news this is is like a bit of de ja vou of seasons gone by,scott rumoured to be going,foxy injured,barclay off and jake probably going,really need to get some big news of big signings .NOW.

Posted By: Legendinmybathroom
Date Posted: 15 November 2017 at 9:00pm
Terrific player, sad news. As has been mentioned above he has been huge for us, when he joined in 2013 he was out of the Scottish squad so was able to play throughout the season and offered great leadership skills during the autumn internationals and 6 nations windows.
He has been a great ambassador for the region and has played across the back row when required to do so, playing very well in all of the positions. He does remind me of Dave Hodges in many ways, he has great leadership skills, reads the game so well, can play in several different positions, very rarely has a bad game or makes mistakes.
He with be solely missed but you can’t blame him for wanting to return to Scotland to finish off his career. Plus, as has been said, he’s been around less since his well earned recall to the Scottish squad and we have probably had the best years out of him.
Let’s see if we can send him on his way back home with another trophy.
Pob lwc Jon, diolch yn fawr.

Posted By: Why
Date Posted: 15 November 2017 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

terrific player who always gave his all,one thing is for sure we really need some positive signing news this is is like a bit of de ja vou of seasons gone by,scott rumoured to be going,foxy injured,barclay off and jake probably going,really need to get some big news of big signings .NOW.

Can't see why Jake would leave unless he wants to give up playing for Wales. He surely can't sign for another region as they don't have money and he couldn't join on dual makes no sense to me but what do I know.

-------------
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.

Posted By: Rob o'r Bont
Date Posted: 16 November 2017 at 10:35am
Like everyone else, I will be gutted to see JB leaving.  He's been a huge player for us. It's funny the little things you remember in a game. I'll never forget him bursting out laughing in one game when Nigel Owens told both sets of replacement front rows that it was obvious why they were bench material cos they couldn't scrummage properly. He clearly has a great sense of humour as well as being a top player. Smile

All the best to him and his family for the future.  

-------------
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.

Posted By: turkishrebel
Date Posted: 16 November 2017 at 10:48am
love the way he is winding up some of his Scottish colleagues especially hogg! very intelligent and approachable guy who has been an absolute pleasure to have with us. will be a very sad loss, but wish him all the well in the future. I think he will have a great future as a coach if he wants one. people have a lot of respect for the guy

-------------
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!

Posted By: GPR - Rochester
Date Posted: 16 November 2017 at 10:50am
Originally posted by turkishrebel turkishrebel wrote:

love the way he is winding up some of his Scottish colleagues especially hogg! very intelligent and approachable guy who has been an absolute pleasure to have with us. will be a very sad loss, but wish him all the well in the future. I think he will have a great future as a coach if he wants one. people have a lot of respect for the guy

Spot on.

Posted By: diego6754
Date Posted: 16 November 2017 at 11:33am
Afew things....

Going to miss JB. He's been the model of professionalism and consistency in a turbulent 5 years. I think the way he handled those years of being shut out by Scotland pretty much sums up the man. It would be interesting to know if their was an offer on the table from us. I would think their was and I would think Edinburgh and the SRFU chucked the kitchen sink at him to get him back.

I hope and trust the board have a suitable replacement lined up. Whether that is Moriarty, who if we can get him is a no brainer. World class 23 year old back rowers do not grow on trees and he'd be mental to go to the Drags. Or whether that is someone else will, of course, remain to be seen.

Wales Online is the biggest load of amateur gash out there. They seem to have taken on the Western Mails mantle of consistently putting negative spin on every story that comes out of the regions and especially us. Boycott the bunch of cockwombles.

Posted By: aber-fan
Date Posted: 16 November 2017 at 1:47pm
I'm very sorry to hear that Barclay is leaving - he's been great for the Scarlets... but he is Scottish after all, so I expect that plays a part in his decision.

Good luck, John.

-------------
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)

Posted By: Iwlew
Date Posted: 16 November 2017 at 4:10pm
Gutted to see Barclay go, although what a player he has been for us for the last 5 seasons. One of the best signings we've made. 

-------------
And We Were Singing...

Posted By: sgsmorgan
Date Posted: 16 November 2017 at 5:40pm
First up I'm really sad/gutted to see him go but...........for the player himself, I'm glad he's managed to secure a 3 year deal as at this stage of a players development and career things can...if unlucky, go pretty "iffy" very quickly so considering this is a professional game and...money matters, I'm glad to see JB still be able to bring home some goodies for his wife and family.

I've always thought him to be a gent on the field (for a player who's job it is to get to the "coal face" first and deliver results from some quite frenetic places) and you always got the feeling that the Scarlets and the other younger players were being looked after when he was around whether on and off the field.

Great role model as he is intelligent and articulate and fun to listen to..

We move forwards and onward...the King is Dead Long Live the King!

Now please..........can we have some positive news about who might be coming in as opposed to who is leaving..my fingernails...nay knuckles/fingers can't take much more of this.Ouch

Posted By: NobbySosban
Date Posted: 17 November 2017 at 10:25am
Good piece by John in his BBC column, talking about the All Blacks, Edinburgh and how he's loved his time with the Scarlets in Llanelli.

Wish him well, this weekend and beyond.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/41977476" rel="nofollow - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/41977476

Posted By: Mike
Date Posted: 17 November 2017 at 11:04am

What a top man JB is. Very moving comments. I'd love him to return as a coach in a few years.

--

I need to talk about the Scarlets because they do, and always will, mean an awful lot to me. I joined them not fully knowing if it would work out or not. No player knows for sure. Some people thought it was an odd move to make, but it came at a time when Glasgow didn't want me anymore, a time when I needed a fresh start.

I wasn't at a crossroads, but I needed a new challenge. Scarlets had a great history and a great reputation for playing an exciting brand of rugby. I thought the move would help my career. I was right.

The locals made it easy for me. They welcomed me in and supported me. Captaining the club on occasion was a huge honour. It wasn't lost on me that here I was, an outsider, leading this very traditional Welsh club.

To be captain on the day we won the Pro12 last season isn't just the proudest day of my time with them, it's without doubt one of the highlights of my 14-year rugby career.

Those were amazing weeks. The way we played in the run-in? I still get goosebumps even thinking about it. Some guys go through their whole career without ever winning anything and I was quite aware of that going into the final. To win playing the way we did will live forever in my memory.

What will I miss? The boys, the community. Wales and Llanelli will always hold a special place in our family. We have two boys and one of them was born in Wales. Our third child, due in six weeks, will be born in Wales too, so two of our three children will have been born in Wales. Finn is four-and-a-half and attends a Welsh speaking school. The link will always be there.

What we did with the Scarlets, I'd love to do with Edinburgh. This is an exciting time for the club. There's a sense that things are on the move after the disappointment in recent years. That's something that I'm looking forward to immensely.

Posted By: GPR - Rochester
Date Posted: 17 November 2017 at 11:13am
Exactly what you would expect from a top top man & rugby player. What did Carwyn say think think - well we have lost one of our greatest thinkers. As I have said before to other comments - I look forward to seeing us replace John with a better option. 

Posted By: Mullsuk
Date Posted: 17 November 2017 at 12:39pm
One of the best players to have worn the Scarlet jersey, not just NWQ, I am truly gutted that John is leaving and will certainly have a tear in my eye when Tommo announces his name at the last home game to present him with his leaving momento.

A great player, leader and gentleman, good luck with your next endeavour John!

Posted By: seany61
Date Posted: 17 November 2017 at 12:51pm
The man is just an all out Legend. No coincidence at all that our back row has become phenomenal since he arrived. One of our best ever signings.

-------------
Think, Think, Think .... Its a thinking game.

Posted By: Eastern outpost
Date Posted: 17 November 2017 at 1:02pm
He oozes class on and off the pitch.

It’d be great to see him back at some point post playing.

Interestingly enough, the BBC piece says a 2year deal, rather than the 3 year previously rumoured.

-------------
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.

Posted By: mammamammon
Date Posted: 17 November 2017 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by NobbySosban NobbySosban wrote:

Good piece by John in his BBC column, talking about the All Blacks, Edinburgh and how he's loved his time with the Scarlets in Llanelli.

Wish him well, this weekend and beyond.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/41977476" rel="nofollow - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/41977476

"Those were amazing weeks. The way we played in the run-in? I still get goosebumps even thinking about it. Some guys go through their whole career without ever winning anything and I was quite aware of that going into the final. To win playing the way we did will live forever in my memory."

I had goosebumps reading this

-------------
mammamammon

www.hopemalawiuk.com

Posted By: Legendinmybathroom
Date Posted: 17 November 2017 at 10:50pm
What a class act, the guy oozes class (what a lovely article on the bbc). He will be solely missed not only for his rugby playing but for his work off the field. Let’s make the most of his remaining time with us and hopefully send him off to Edinburgh with another piece of silverware.
I don’t envy the board and pivac trying to find a replacement for Barclay, but if anyone can then it has to be those at the helm, let’s face it, their record on unearthing gems is incredible.

Date Posted: 03 January 2018 at 11:51am
Just read online he made 102 tackles and didn't miss a single one. The most of any player to maintain a 100% tackle success rate.

Incredible. Will be a big loss for us.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net