Forum Description: Other rugby chat
URL: https://scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=43927
Printed Date: 28 March 2024 at 12:32pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: George North to Ospreys - Confirmed
Posted By: knutsfordlion
Subject: George North to Ospreys - Confirmed
Date Posted: 12 December 2017 at 9:04pm
I have a funny feeling that he will be with us next season on his NDC.

I know that WP has distanced himself but say what you like, he is box office, and would put bums on seats.
Also I think George would enjoy working with Stevo and the style of rugby he would be asked to buy into.

All will be revealed in the New Year.

I appreciate we need an 8 and another carrier up front, and that WP feels we have the youngsters out wide who are the future, but they can be developed gradually I suggest.

If we could help George rediscover the form he had a few years ago in Australia with the Lions, then he would be an asset for sure.

His game has stalled in his time at the Saints, which is no surprise.

Watch this space.WinkWink

-------------
Page the oracle

Replies:
Posted By: Huwbach
Date Posted: 12 December 2017 at 9:07pm
Is it

Posted By: Legendinmybathroom
Date Posted: 12 December 2017 at 9:20pm
I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see him resign for us on a NDC. He knows that he would get well looked after, not flogged, he would get a lot more ball in space, so wouldn’t be forced into taking contact (which he has been forced to do whilst playing for Northampton (in a very physical league) and for Wales.
He would get a chance to use his undoubted pace and get re-acquated with JD, and HP and also get to work under one of the most thought of and rated backs coaches in the game.
Why would he want to join any of the other regions in their current position.

Posted By: Eastern outpost
Date Posted: 12 December 2017 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by Legendinmybathroom Legendinmybathroom wrote:

I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see him resign for us on a NDC. He knows that he would get well looked after, not flogged, he would get a lot more ball in space, so wouldn’t be forced into taking contact (which he has been forced to do whilst playing for Northampton (in a very physical league) and for Wales.
He would get a chance to use his undoubted pace and get re-acquated with JD, and HP and also get to work under one of the most thought of and rated backs coaches in the game.
Why would he want to join any of the other regions in their current position.
He might be seduced by the fairy story of future dreams at the Dragons.

Whether that’s been written by the Grimm family, or that’s how it all ends with the lowest player budget, only time will tell.

-------------
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.

Posted By: cymru2006
Date Posted: 12 December 2017 at 9:37pm
Would be a key signing from a marketing perspective and undoubtedly put more bums on seats. I’d like to think that at 25 and after a downturn in form over the last few years he would see us as the natural team to help re-ignite his form. I’d be thrilled if he came back home, but wouldn’t be surprised if he didn’t. We wait and see!

-------------
everlasting ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Posted By: surfing-mtber
Date Posted: 12 December 2017 at 9:52pm
Martyn Williams reckons only two teams in the running. My guess is Drags and Blues.

-------------
Joshua24:15

Posted By: SospanMawr
Date Posted: 12 December 2017 at 9:59pm
I’d really rather not. We have a bit of money to spend and if we want to be a serious contender, year on year, for the league and the Champions Cup we need to nail this recruitment and George doesn’t represent value for money or a sensible signing.

Posted By: greypower1
Date Posted: 12 December 2017 at 9:59pm
We get first dibs don't we?

-------------
Keep the faith

Posted By: LLANDRE
Date Posted: 12 December 2017 at 10:41pm
We have great talent coming through on the wing. Baldwin,Conbeer, Rogers, Lewis .How many more do we want!!.

-------------
West is Best (Fin gwybod)

Posted By: stevve
Date Posted: 12 December 2017 at 10:42pm
The move seems to make more sense for George than for the club in my view. Wing is publicly not somewhere Pivac is in the market for.
His undoubted talent notwithstanding, NDC players are a double-edged sword missing the international windows and being limited in terms of availabilty.
He would benefit from working with our backline and the Midas Touch of Stevo, but at this point do we need to pump considerable money and obstruct the development of a possible future star by rolling the dice?
Personally I feel there are several other positions where we urgently need strengthening.

Posted By: ScarletBear
Date Posted: 12 December 2017 at 11:02pm
Agree we don't need him, can't afford him etc. But f it, get him anyway. He's a superstar!! LOLBig smile

Posted By: Wasp
Date Posted: 12 December 2017 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by LLANDRE LLANDRE wrote:

We have great talent coming through on the wing. Baldwin,Conbeer, Rogers, Lewis .How many more do we want!!.
I'd be very surprised to see us pushing the boat out to land him like we did with Leigh. One thing we desperately needed was a reliable goal kicker and we signed a world renowned one. It seems like Pivac had been after Leigh for quite some time - I don't get that impression about George.

One thing we don't need is another Back 3 player who will be missing at the same time as Steff and Leigh.

-------------
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh

Date Posted: 12 December 2017 at 11:20pm
Originally posted by cymru2006 cymru2006 wrote:

Would be a key signing from a marketing perspective and undoubtedly put more bums on seats. I’d like to think that at 25 and after a downturn in form over the last few years he would see us as the natural team to help re-ignite his form. I’d be thrilled if he came back home, but wouldn’t be surprised if he didn’t. We wait and see!
I doubt it.

-------------

Posted By: Owen111
Date Posted: 12 December 2017 at 11:34pm
can he bulk up some more and play 8? :)

Posted By: Sosban bach
Date Posted: 13 December 2017 at 12:26am
Currently I'm more confident with Dan kicking than hp.

Date Posted: 13 December 2017 at 12:28am
George playing no 8, how funny would that be. He’s probably big enough and he certainly would take some stopping if he was to pick up and carry from the back of the scrum.

Posted By: ladram
Date Posted: 13 December 2017 at 5:55am
he will be with the dragons or ospreys next season.

Posted By: GPR - Rochester
Date Posted: 13 December 2017 at 8:30am
I don't think Pivac is prone to playing games so when he says we are not interested I take his word. George is a wonderful player but we have more pressing needs elsewhere. 

Posted By: Ffidel Bennett
Date Posted: 13 December 2017 at 9:21am
GPR, I'm not even convinced that he's a wonderful player when fully fit, and not with camp Gatland. He suits warrenball but he's got nowhere near Steff or McNicholl's flair or ability to improvise .
Having him and Jamie Roberts in the team suited Gatland in another style and another time.
 It could be argued that he would help us with the carrying if he came off his wing to charge through the centre, but I'm sure that he would feel insulted if you suggested that this was why he was signed  and with his injury record I doubt if he'd last long in this mode.
I would be very disappointed if we splashed out on him where we are well set with back 3 players and have genuine shortages elsewhere.

Posted By: cymraes
Date Posted: 13 December 2017 at 9:31am
  I loved it when he played for us and on some levels would like to see a fully fit North back in a Scarlet shirt.  But even last time round he was wrapped in cotton wool so much of the time that we didn't see as much of him as we should have.  

I noticed he said of a dual contract that it would allow the WRU to "protect him". Doesn't sound as though you're looking at 100% commitment to a region, only vehicle for international duty.  He'll be another Warburton. Got sympathy for the injury problems he's had, particularly the concussions, and he's now possibly one major concussion away from ending his career. 

I don't think he's what we need even if we were in the market for a wing.  

Posted By: RR1972
Date Posted: 13 December 2017 at 9:57am
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

he will be with the dragons or ospreys next season.

this is right,

Date Posted: 13 December 2017 at 10:00am
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

GPR, I'm not even convinced that he's a wonderful player when fully fit, and not with camp Gatland. He suits warrenball but he's got nowhere near Steff or McNicholl's flair or ability to improvise .
Having him and Jamie Roberts in the team suited Gatland in another style and another time.
 It could be argued that he would help us with the carrying if he came off his wing to charge through the centre, but I'm sure that he would feel insulted if you suggested that this was why he was signed  and with his injury record I doubt if he'd last long in this mode.
I would be very disappointed if we splashed out on him where we are well set with back 3 players and have genuine shortages elsewhere.

North when fit and firing is in a different level to the likes of mcNicholl, this is a guy who has shredded international defences let alone pro 12 defences.

He is fast has good feet and picks excellent angles, he is not just a head down mailto:a@se" rel="nofollow - a@se up runner

You make valid points about his injury record though

Posted By: PearlJam
Date Posted: 13 December 2017 at 10:06am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

I don't see how we could possibly take a risk on a player who is a couple of head knocks away from retirement. He'll be available for Europe and a few derby games; this isn't the player we need for the hard slog during the 6-Nations and Autumn Internationals. 

George was great for us when he came onto the scene, he made an impact but then he seemed to become bigger than the Scarlets. He's not what we're looking for now and he's going to be used as a "figurehead" for a team looking to make a statement under the Union banner. 

I have no idea who this could be.

-------------
If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose.

Posted By: rygbi11
Date Posted: 13 December 2017 at 10:57am
Jonathan Davies is playing better after moving back to the Scarlets, IMO. Maybe George North will get better if he moves to the Scarlets as well.

Posted By: Speedy
Date Posted: 13 December 2017 at 11:31am
George played well for one season with us. Once he was called up, it was the last we saw of him, as we had come to know him. I will never forget those last few games he turned in for us as a Scarlet.

Taking a voluntary tackle with minimum impact from a scrum half, just falling to the floor and setting a ruck. He was a passenger for us for most of the time.

The crazy thing was Saints said from the outset they wanted a big battering ram on the wing, before they signed him. George was always developed to be far more than that. Now its only fair that the next batch of development get their chance. Lets hope the next batch have more sense to make a better Scarlets legacy for themselves than George did. I hope George finds a club he is happy at, and can find his old form. But i dont think he is the right fit for us. We are already trying to fit HP into our style, which if anyone has noticed is taking a little while.

Adding George would be to much of a step away from our current systems.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN7pGq1i2jhev2YLcZ89h7Q/videos" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN7pGq1i2jhev2YLcZ89h7Q/videos

Date Posted: 13 December 2017 at 12:46pm

North when fit and firing is in a different level to the likes of mcNicholl, this is a guy who has shredded international defences let alone pro 12 defences.

He is fast has good feet and picks excellent angles, he is not just a head down mailto:a@se" rel="nofollow - a@se up runner

I can’t remember the last time George took the game by the scruff of the neck and turned it either way. Lions series of 2013 perhaps?
The last thing of note I remember him doing is the try round the outside against Italy, set up by Sam Davies.
Personally I think McNicholl is a better player, and so is Steff.

Posted By: diego6754
Date Posted: 13 December 2017 at 12:51pm
It's one of those where if we signed him it would put a smile on my face even if he isn't our top priority, but behind Leigh, Steff and Jonny there is no strength in depth and its pretty likely one of those 3 will be injured at any one point and I don't think any of the kids are ready.

At the same time if he went somewhere else it wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

Date Posted: 13 December 2017 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by diego6754 diego6754 wrote:

It's one of those where if we signed him it would put a smile on my face even if he isn't our top priority, but behind Leigh, Steff and Jonny there is no strength in depth and its pretty likely one of those 3 will be injured at any one point and I don't think any of the kids are ready.

At the same time if he went somewhere else it wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

I think there are about 3 who are about to burst into the 1st team squad within next 8 months.

Which of course is when we would be seeing George, if we are lucky....for 3 weeks....before the autumn internationals.....

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN7pGq1i2jhev2YLcZ89h7Q/videos" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN7pGq1i2jhev2YLcZ89h7Q/videos

Posted By: rygbi11
Date Posted: 13 December 2017 at 1:23pm
Ioan Nicholas is definitely ready, IMO. I believe he proved that on the tour to South Africa. We also have Tom Prydie who is a very good player (played well on the tour to South Africa, IMO).

Date Posted: 13 December 2017 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

Originally posted by diego6754 diego6754 wrote:

I think there are about 3 who are about to burst into the 1st team squad within next 8 months.

Which of course is when we would be seeing George, if we are lucky....for 3 weeks....before the autumn internationals.....

I really hope you are right. Budget would be better off spent elsewhere.

Posted By: Gate12
Date Posted: 13 December 2017 at 1:55pm
After our first choice back 3 there's a fairly big drop off in terms of the quality and/or readiness of the players in those positions (in terms of playing in big league games and Europe) so there's probably a need for another quality back 3 player.
Whether that should be someone of North's availability or a NWQ player is the question really, in the nicest possible way I'm not concerned about the injuries, that what insurance is for, so it's a case of having 300k's worth of player for 140k but unavailable for about 8/10 league games or having 140k's worth of player for a whole season. 

Posted By: aber-fan
Date Posted: 13 December 2017 at 1:56pm
It's win-win really - if he comes on a NDC, great - we get a top player (OK, on form and fit) at a knock-down price; if he doesn't, we'll spend any cash we have elsewhere - maybe on that elusive ball-carrying forward - and develop our upcoming wing talent.

No problem, either way.

-------------
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)

Date Posted: 13 December 2017 at 2:02pm
As I've said before if money were no object George would be a good acquisition but I would prefer to add the £140K to Barclays cost & get a cracking No 8 carrier. 

Date Posted: 13 December 2017 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

It's win-win really - if he comes on a NDC, great - we get a top player (OK, on form and fit) at a knock-down price; if he doesn't, we'll spend any cash we have elsewhere - maybe on that elusive ball-carrying forward - and develop our upcoming wing talent.

No problem, either way.

This exactly. Just said a lot better than I said it!

Posted By: TheKing
Date Posted: 13 December 2017 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by knutsfordlion knutsfordlion wrote:

I have a funny feeling that he will be with us next season on his NDC.

I know that WP has distanced himself but say what you like, he is box office, and would put bums on seats.
Also I think George would enjoy working with Stevo and the style of rugby he would be asked to buy into.

All will be revealed in the New Year.

I appreciate we need an 8 and another carrier up front, and that WP feels we have the youngsters out wide who are the future, but they can be developed gradually I suggest.

If we could help George rediscover the form he had a few years ago in Australia with the Lions, then he would be an asset for sure.

His game has stalled in his time at the Saints, which is no surprise.

Watch this space.WinkWink

I think he would have been a great signing had we not signed halfpenney. But as it is, we’d have a big earner as second choice in the back three if he signed, and I think the money would be much better spent on a box office first choice 8

Date Posted: 13 December 2017 at 6:28pm
I think its time now for George to move to the centre anyway. having single position threequarters isnt good for the squad.

-------------

Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 13 December 2017 at 6:55pm
Not known for his defensive and hard tackling skills mind. 

Posted By: John
Date Posted: 13 December 2017 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Not known for his defensive and hard tackling skills mind. 

Or indeed his workrate in general which would be a problem anywhere except wing.

Date Posted: 13 December 2017 at 9:23pm
We are knocking a player that we used to love, prior to him leaving for the saints. We could be having him back at a knockdown price and have first refusal.
I don’t know whether he would want to return to us, especially after the way he departed, but if he did I’m sure he would do a great job whether at centre or on the wing. The coaches have a proven track record of improving players both offensively and defensively so any perceived frailty in his defence would be worked on and he would be signing for a region whose back line is known for playing a very exciting and attaching game so he would see plenty of ball.
Plus, we have a very settled squad of players and coaches who know what’s expected of each other and who are hopefully going to stick around for a while, which can’t be underestimated.

Posted By: Maple
Date Posted: 14 December 2017 at 8:16am
A legend in his own mind. We don't want him as he will disrupt a happy harmonious dressing room. 

NO THANKS

-------------
Give Blood, Play Rugby

Date Posted: 14 December 2017 at 8:34am
Originally posted by Maple Maple wrote:

A legend in his own mind. We don't want him as he will disrupt a happy harmonious dressing room. 

NO THANKS
axe fully ground with that post.

Posted By: redeyes
Date Posted: 14 December 2017 at 8:56am
I dont think another current international would benefit the squad, neither is another wing at the top of our shopping list.

-------------
The stadium may change, but the dream will remain the same!

Date Posted: 14 December 2017 at 9:08am
Didn’t his father say in response to us developing George for the English clubs that we lacked ambition or similar words when he left us for the money. Thanks for that . Nice 🤔

Posted By: Captain
Date Posted: 14 December 2017 at 9:11am
Lets be honest, we need a player like him to add another level to our back line. When it is wet weather, our current back three cannot truck it up, and it leaves our centres to do all the work.
I think a lot of posters have had a few to many festive drinks if they do not think he will add to our team,
by the way - Merry Christmas everyone.

Posted By: Mr Ian
Date Posted: 14 December 2017 at 9:19am
I like him, and hope he will sign soon...maybe he can be our new 13...

Date Posted: 14 December 2017 at 9:26am
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Didn’t his father say in response to us developing George for the English clubs that we lacked ambition or similar words when he left us for the money. Thanks for that . Nice 🤔
foxy said a similar thing in a press release before his move to Clermont/

Posted By: 1carmscarletsfan
Date Posted: 14 December 2017 at 9:36am

We are knocking a player that we used to love, prior to him leaving for the saints. We could be having him back at a knockdown price and have first refusal.
I don’t know whether he would want to return to us, especially after the way he departed, but if he did I’m sure he would do a great job whether at centre or on the wing. The coaches have a proven track record of improving players both offensively and defensively so any perceived frailty in his defence would be worked on and he would be signing for a region whose back line is known for playing a very exciting and attaching game so he would see plenty of ball.
Plus, we have a very settled squad of players and coaches who know what’s expected of each other and who are hopefully going to stick around for a while, which can’t be underestimated.

Date Posted: 14 December 2017 at 9:41am
George walks in to any team in northern hemisphere. I agree his form has dipped since joining the Saints but just look how poor they are playing. When he played for us and our style he was at his best and I'm sure if he did sign for us he could return to that form. unfortunately I can see him joint the Dragons or worse the Ospreys.

Date Posted: 14 December 2017 at 10:04am
Originally posted by 1carmscarletsfan 1carmscarletsfan wrote:

George walks in to any team in northern hemisphere.

Hes doesn't walk into our team, though. Bench.

-------------
If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose.

Date Posted: 14 December 2017 at 10:07am
Originally posted by PearlJam PearlJam wrote:

George is a very fine player. Still only 25 but we have other far higher priorities to spend our money. We need to sort our pack out first or we could end up with the best back 3 in Europe who will only be getting defending practise!!!!

Date Posted: 14 December 2017 at 10:39am
If we could re-sign any back 3 player,  for me it would be Sanjay, by a mile. But as has been repeated endlessly on here we have far bigger priorities at 8 and second row. North is massively over-rated by Gatland . 

Date Posted: 14 December 2017 at 10:59am

If we could re-sign any back 3 player,  for me it would be Sanjay, by a mile. But as has been repeated endlessly on here we have far bigger priorities at 8 and second row. North is massively over-rated by Gatland . 

Totally agree with you Ffidel about our essential recruitment needs. My view of North is a little different. For whatever reason George seems to find it very difficult to stay focused even in big games. His work rate drops off to the extent that he can go games without seeming to be involved. At other times he becomes almost unplayable. 

Defensively he is not great; add this to his worrying incidence of head knocks and you have someone we should pass on. I don't really understand why we are still talking about George as Pivac, at the outset, stated the Scarlets position with regard to squad assessment & the numbers of highly rated young back 3 players waiting for their chances. Some will get that chance this season most will by next season when George is available. 

Date Posted: 14 December 2017 at 11:12am

steady on it's xmas not april the 1st LOLLOL

A fit George is a better winger than any one in regional rugby and by some distance.

Don't forget our pack was pretty useless when he was here, in this team and under this coaching set up he would be brilliant

Posted By: Sosban bach
Date Posted: 14 December 2017 at 11:18am
Originally posted by Captain Captain wrote:

Lets be honest, we need a player like him to add another level to our back line. When it is wet weather, our current back three cannot truck it up, and it leaves our centres to do all the work.
I think a lot of posters have had a few to many festive drinks if they do not think he will add to our team,

He wouldn't be able to do what Steff did against bath and in those conditions. 2 welsh international wingers is not a good place for us for a season. George was great at the start for us but became half arsed once wales came knocking. The last thing we need is a player going missing during ai's and 6n.

Date Posted: 14 December 2017 at 11:20am
I'm certainly not knocking George. He would be an asset. Just as Nadolo would be. The question is whether he would be VFM for a team with our financial restraints and other areas of weakness. 

-------------

Date Posted: 14 December 2017 at 11:26am

A fit George is a better winger than any one in regional rugby and by some distance.

Don't forget our pack was pretty useless when he was here, in this team and under this coaching set up he would be brilliant

Date Posted: 14 December 2017 at 11:28am
George and Steff are totally different players that both offer fantastic attacking rugby!!

Date Posted: 14 December 2017 at 11:52am

I don't want to turn this into a thread where we're criticising North - but I genuinely don't believe George is better than Steff or McNichol. His day seems to have come and gone and, as someone has pointed out, he hasn't dominated a game for some time. In that period, Steff, McNichol, Liam and DTH have outperformed him. Would he have added anything to us last year with that roster of wingers? Nope.

He wouldn't suit our style of play this season either and I don't think he has the skill-set to play the brand that Pivac and Wellies want. 

Great for shirt sales though! North, 23.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 December 2017 at 12:05pm

A key factor in him wanting to be a scarlet again, maybe the change in coaching personnel.

-------------

Posted By: s.pimpernel
Date Posted: 14 December 2017 at 12:09pm

I don't want to turn this into a thread where we're criticising North...........

Well the whole thread has hardly been complimentary to him. Amazing what some can say on here but if others had said it they`d be crucified. 

It`s a funny old game GreavsieConfusedWink

-------------
In Pivac we trust

Date Posted: 14 December 2017 at 12:11pm
Where’s all this about George being one of the best wingers in the Pro12 come from? He’s been poor for two years + now.
Since the start of last season, North has 8 tries in about 30 games.
Steff has 20.
Tom Williams has 8!

Date Posted: 14 December 2017 at 12:16pm

I don't want to turn this into a thread where we're criticising North - but I genuinely don't believe George is better than Steff or McNichol. His day seems to have come and gone and, as someone has pointed out, he hasn't dominated a game for some time. In that period, Steff, McNichol, Liam and DTH have outperformed him. Would he have added anything to us last year with that roster of wingers? Nope.

He wouldn't suit our style of play this season either and I don't think he has the skill-set to play the brand that Pivac and Wellies want. 

Great for shirt sales though! North, 23.

It very much would depend on which North turned up. At his best we have no other winger in our squad to compare. However how many times have we seen George at his wonderful best in the last few years - a handful of occasions maybe. With Steff Evans you get match changing inputs even on off days.

Date Posted: 14 December 2017 at 12:19pm
he will be playing in black next year.

Date Posted: 14 December 2017 at 12:21pm

[QUOTE=1carmscarletsfan]George walks in to any team in northern hemisphere.

Yes , he is bigger , stronger and faster than any of our wingers. He would be the best wing in the pro 12 let alone the region.

His pace and power would be really handy with our running style.

I'm not knocking our wingers but for me  a back 3 of stef at 15 mcnichol and north on the wings would make us more not less threatening in attack

I heard he's off to the ashtrays though Angry

Date Posted: 14 December 2017 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

Where’s all this about George being one of the best wingers in the Pro12 come from? He’s been poor for two years + now.
Steff has 20.
Tom Williams has 8!

Oh well that settles it tom Williams is a better winger to,  out of curio what's Williams international record like?

Posted By: Sosban89
Date Posted: 14 December 2017 at 12:27pm
I don't see how anyone can doubt Norths form has been poor. It really has, from what the man has done in the past, and form we know he can produce, he has massively underperformed for what is a shockingly long time.

Firstly I see it as a foregone conclusion he comes to Wales but not us. However if he did come to us I feel any quality back will improve given the way we play. THat being said if we feel we need more cover in the back 3 i'd prefer a cheaper option who is with the squad all year round.

Posted By: Exkixu
Date Posted: 14 December 2017 at 12:40pm
Welsh International so away for AIs, 6N and summer tour - Check
Injuries and worse even, concussion concerns - Check
A position we are well stocked in - Check

That's about it for me. I'd love to have George back, if money was flowing out of our ears. As it's not, second row and number 8 for me.

-------------
1 Xavier Rush   2 Rhys Priestland   3 David Lyons   Cardiff Blues - Scarlets, 26/09/09      

More carries than any of our forwards. Priestland Fan Club Proud Member

Date Posted: 14 December 2017 at 12:58pm
Excluding the Lions he's averaged 28 games a season since he left us with 12.5 tries a season.

In terms of his club that's 18.5 games a season with 8 tries a season.

As a comparison Sanjay played 20 games for us last season and scored 6 tries.

The narrative that North never plays, scores or performs isn't really backed up by much.

Posted By: John
Date Posted: 14 December 2017 at 1:02pm

You posted earlier that he would be at the Drags or Os next year. Given that we also have a black strip (and that the Blues have shirts in just about every colour), have you changed your mind about his destination? 

Date Posted: 14 December 2017 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by John John wrote:

You posted earlier that he would be at the Drags or Os next year. Given that we also have a black strip (and that the Blues have shirts in just about every colour), have you changed your mind about his destination? 
no ospreys or dragons the latter being favourite.

Posted By: Eastern outpost
Date Posted: 14 December 2017 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by John John wrote:

Good spot!

-------------
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.

Posted By: BigRed
Date Posted: 14 December 2017 at 1:32pm
George is one of those freaks of nature that has bags of raw power, a player who does not come along very often and can terrify opposition players. He needs better skills to back that up - give him to Stevo for a good pre-season and away we go.
If he wants to come back, I would welcome him with open arms.

Date Posted: 14 December 2017 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by Gate12 Gate12 wrote:

Excluding the Lions he's averaged 28 games a season since he left us with 12.5 tries a season.

The narrative that North never plays, scores or performs isn't really backed up by much.

Part of that will be sorted when he takes up his dual-contract and has his appearances restricted to European games and derby matches. 

The other part of the is that he isn't better than we already have and wouldn't suit our style of play - Northampton's turgid brand of rugby has been effective until the last couple of years, and a big lumbering winger suits. He's not Steff, he's not McNichol and he isn't Sanjay. There is no doubting he'd add depth to our squad, but he isn't what we need. 

The final part is that he's had a dangerously high number of concussions, regardless if he's played 80 games over 5 seasons and scored 35 tries.

-------------

Posted By: Dafen Boy
Date Posted: 14 December 2017 at 1:47pm
He seems to have lost his confidence and plays hesitantly, which results in his not using his God given strength and speed.  He's a bit of a rehab project.

In the current financial set up I would say no, albeit with a deep sigh.

Posted By: crj89
Date Posted: 14 December 2017 at 1:54pm
I think everyone would love him to sign, there's no doubting that, but if it meant us signing a No. 8 of the quality of Morgan Allen/Rory Pitman as opposed to signing someone of the quality of David Lyons/John Barclay, then I wouldn't want us spending the money on North. Think that's what it comes down to.

Posted By: Realwest
Date Posted: 14 December 2017 at 2:17pm
Ive said it a million times if you had george norths body with liam williams head you have potentially tbe best rugby player in the world . I think with risk and reward in my opinion i dont believe that george would be the correct signing at the moment he has concussion issues and will be away with wales alot

For me if he came back it would be with the message that the would not be guaranteed a starting place and that he has to prove himself, he just doesnt strike me as a natural rugby player like steff or shane does the instinct just isnt there

Posted By: InTheBath
Date Posted: 14 December 2017 at 3:01pm
He's a fine player who could thrive in the current squad and environment, while also being a huge name in world rugby, with plenty of time left in his career.

Whether he wants to join us, the coaches want to sign him and it makes financial sense is another thing all together.

Posted By: Mugwuffin
Date Posted: 14 December 2017 at 3:23pm

He has the physical tools to be one of the most influential backs in the world, but has been a pro for 7 or 8 years now and hasn’t developed into the consistent, key “go-to player” most thought he would’ve become by now. I suspect his move home is motivated by a desire to play less club rugby so as to keep him fresh and injury free for internationals. Given the worrying concussion issues he’s had he couldn’t be blamed for wanting to play less.

He’d be an asset if we signed him, but I wouldn’t have him as an automatic first pick in our Back 3. Steff and McNicholl are big contributors to our style of play at the moment. I agree with Pivac in that it would be great to have him available, but the money could be better spent elsewhere.

Date Posted: 14 December 2017 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by Mugwuffin Mugwuffin wrote:

He has the physical tools to be one of the most influential backs in the world, but has been a pro for 7 or 8 years now and hasn’t developed into the consistent, key “go-to player” most thought he would’ve become by now. I suspect his move home is motivated by a desire to play less club rugby so as to keep him fresh and injury free for internationals. Given the worrying concussion issues he’s had he couldn’t be blamed for wanting to play less.

He’d be an asset if we signed him, but I wouldn’t have him as an automatic first pick in our Back 3. Steff and McNicholl are big contributors to our style of play at the moment. I agree with Pivac in that it would be great to have him available, but the money could be better spent elsewhere.

We could easily play mcnicholl or stef at 15 and play George on the wing. If you talking about players who don't contribute to free flowing rugby halfpenny is one who stands out there.

I can't see how having a powerful , fast , proven try scorer will hold our play back at all.

Granted a number 8 is the most pressing need but I refuse to believe North would not get into our starting team

Posted By: turkishrebel
Date Posted: 14 December 2017 at 3:28pm
How long has Liam signed for Saracens? 2 year deal? If we can get our pack right we could look to get Sanjay back then year after.

-------------
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!

Date Posted: 14 December 2017 at 3:31pm

Part of that will be sorted when he takes up his dual-contract and has his appearances restricted to European games and derby matches. 

The other part of the is that he isn't better than we already have and wouldn't suit our style of play - Northampton's turgid brand of rugby has been effective until the last couple of years, and a big lumbering winger suits. He's not Steff, he's not McNichol and he isn't Sanjay. There is no doubting he'd add depth to our squad, but he isn't what we need. 

The final part is that he's had a dangerously high number of concussions, regardless if he's played 80 games over 5 seasons and scored 35 tries.

He's played 112 games and scored 50 tries in 4 seasons and the least games he's played in those 4 seasons was 23.

His potential effectively in our style of play is debatable, personally I think he'd start developing his game again and be a real asset to us rather than his development remaining fairly static if he stayed at saints, but his injury record just isn't as bad as portrayed.

If his career is cut short or he has long term injuries insurance will cover large parts of it.

There's plenty of pro's and con's in signing him, but I just don't think it's anywhere near as black and white as it's often suggested.

Date Posted: 14 December 2017 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by turkishrebel turkishrebel wrote:

How long has Liam signed for Saracens? 2 year deal? If we can get our pack right we could look to get Sanjay back then year after.

hell be upto 60 caps by then,  I can see him staying in England tbh CryCry

Date Posted: 14 December 2017 at 3:34pm

He's played 112 games and scored 50 tries in 4 seasons and the least games he's played in those 4 seasons was 23.

His potential effectively in our style of play is debatable, personally I think he'd start developing his game again and be a real asset to us rather than his development remaining fairly static if he stayed at saints, but his injury record just isn't as bad as portrayed.

If his career is cut short or he has long term injuries insurance will cover large parts of it.

There's plenty of pro's and con's in signing him, but I just don't think it's anywhere near as black and white as it's often suggested.

I agree with you

Not sure where this lumbering line had come from, he's certainly quicker than stef halfpenny and looks quicker than mcnicholl to me

Date Posted: 14 December 2017 at 3:53pm
As I keep saying this thread is getting silly. Pivac does not want George - he's on the record for goodness sake. Contributors suggesting that George would not get in to our team are really way off the mark. Its about money people - we have a limited amount and an urgent need for a no 8 & No 4 along with any further grunt we can get our hands on !!!!!Wink

Date Posted: 14 December 2017 at 4:45pm
This thread certainly has legs it really shouldn’t have. He cannot be on our radar surely 🤔

Posted By: scarlet_rob
Date Posted: 14 December 2017 at 4:50pm
He did go a whole season with us without scoring a try didn't he... and I'm still not over his non-tackle on Tommy Bowe in our play off semi final!

However there is no doubt he's a big name and that can only have a positive effect on our standing in the European game and on our attendances.

Posted By: supertaf
Date Posted: 14 December 2017 at 5:08pm

3 year wasn't it?

-------------
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872

Posted By: PE SA
Date Posted: 14 December 2017 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by supertaf supertaf wrote:

3 year wasn't it?

Posted By: NobbySosban
Date Posted: 14 December 2017 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

Originally posted by supertaf supertaf wrote:

3 year wasn't it?

Sarries haven't won a game since Sanj has been out of the side. Just saying. Stern Smile

Posted By: N14
Date Posted: 14 December 2017 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by Sosban bach Sosban bach wrote:

Currently I'm more confident with Dan kicking than hp.

Why?

Date Posted: 14 December 2017 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by Captain Captain wrote:

Well said captain, he does offer us something different when the going gets tough, but we will also be able to give him time and space to stretch his massive legs during the times when the weather gets better and the pitches firmer.

Date Posted: 14 December 2017 at 8:03pm
We have a limited budget.
We have a couple of top class wings already and I count 5 real prospects (waiting in the wings!!!)
to take their places. 
We will have no regular 8s next season, and we will also be short of the type of second rows we need.
We need to sign a 9, and possibly a 3rd 10.
And yet this is a topic with loads of fans fantysyising about signing a big, expensive,  injury prone, wing who would be away with team Gatland for half the season anyway. Do they also believe in fairies?

Date Posted: 14 December 2017 at 11:55pm

Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

Steff has 20.
Tom Williams has 8!

Oh well that settles it tom Williams is a better winger to,  out of curio what's Williams international record like?
I never said Tom Williams was better. All I posted was facts. That you’ve interpreted them as me saying Tom Williams is better shows that there’s an argument that George isn’t that good recently.
On international records, since 2016 George has scored 3 tries for Wales.
Keith Earls- 9
Huw Jones- 7
Alex Cuthbert- 4

Posted By: Iwlew
Date Posted: 15 December 2017 at 12:32am
I'm thinking Cardiff for North next season.

-------------
And We Were Singing...

Posted By: Dafen Boy
Date Posted: 15 December 2017 at 1:32am
Yes, he needs to come home and rebuild

Date Posted: 15 December 2017 at 6:41am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

As I keep saying this thread is getting silly. Pivac does not want George - he's on the record for goodness sake. Contributors suggesting that George would not get in to our team are really way off the mark. Its about money people - we have a limited amount and an urgent need for a no 8 & No 4 along with any further grunt we can get our hands on !!!!!Wink
that's what happens when all we hear about is retentions and departures it's a well worn path we have been down too many times before.

Posted By: Sandman
Date Posted: 20 December 2017 at 2:12pm
Just been reported that all 4 regions have shown an interest in signing him. We have first refusal unless George doesn’t want to rejoin us. I know he left under difficult circumstances, but that was a while ago under a different regime. Him refusing to sign for us based on rugby reasons would be perplexing.

-------------
Only one team plays in red. (Sorry, Scarlet)

Date Posted: 20 December 2017 at 2:19pm
I guess he would have the right to refuse to re-join if more money was on offer elsewhere (Dragons? They seem to have found Theresa May's magic money tree recently!).

I'd be happy to see George back, but there are other positions where we need reinforcements more urgently. We'll see.

-------------
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)

Posted By: Sandman
Date Posted: 20 December 2017 at 2:36pm

I guess he would have the right to refuse to re-join if more money was on offer elsewhere (Dragons? They seem to have found Theresa May's magic money tree recently!).

I'd be happy to see George back, but there are other positions where we need reinforcements more urgently. We'll see.
Someone correct me if I’m wrong but, don’t NDC’s have to be valued all the same, regardless of which region he signs for?

-------------
Only one team plays in red. (Sorry, Scarlet)

Date Posted: 20 December 2017 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by Sandman Sandman wrote:

Someone correct me if I’m wrong but, don’t NDC’s have to be valued all the same, regardless of which region he signs for?

No idea - you maybe right. But haven't the Drags been signing people directly (not on NDCs)?

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net