Forum Description: Team News, Season Tickets, Next Match
URL: https://scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=44288
Printed Date: 28 March 2024 at 8:36am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Munster to rest Internationals
Posted By: 157cb
Subject: Munster to rest Internationals
Date Posted: 13 March 2018 at 2:27pm

I have just read Munster will be resting there Internationals for our visit in a fortnight they will not return until Toulon a week later,if we pick a strong squad we can win this ...

Replies:
Posted By: diego6754
Date Posted: 13 March 2018 at 2:47pm
I think it would be sensible to field the majority of our internationals to reintegrate before the La Rochelle game. I'd be more tempted to rest them in rotation for the Glasgow, Edinburgh and Drags games. Especially as Edinburgh and Drags games could be dead rubbers as we could well sit in no mans land between 1st and 3rd.

May be rest Steff, Parkes and Cawdor who've played a lot of rugby, none of the rest of them have really been hammered by Wales though.

Posted By: minded
Date Posted: 13 March 2018 at 3:01pm
The season is a balancing act from here on out, I really can't see us topping the pool at this point without Leinster slipping up so it's a difficult call, do they rest all internationals ahead of LR game or integrate them back risking injury at the possibility of a win? 

The other plus point of integrating is that the side will have played together once ahead of LR and hopefully aired out any rust, but it won't do much for the confidence if they still go on to lose in Munster.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPnAh1r0V9YMx4LjUAXI1AUts5jgBck9u" rel="nofollow - Scarlets Tries of the Season 2009 - 2022

Posted By: Rich (Bris)
Date Posted: 13 March 2018 at 3:36pm
It needs to be remembered that most of our first choice players have been training and playing together with Wales all these past few weeks and although not all have played all the time I don't think they will be rusty. I know match condition is different of course.

Posted By: turkishrebel
Date Posted: 13 March 2018 at 3:53pm
we play different way to wales and we will need the players to at least start the game I think to get us back into our plays. let the players get back into our coaching system.

-------------
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!

Posted By: Fscarlet
Date Posted: 13 March 2018 at 3:57pm
I'd consider starting Aled ahead of Cawdor, just based on game time.

Posted By: ladram
Date Posted: 13 March 2018 at 4:01pm
I think we need to pick our Rochelle starting 15 against munster to wash wales out of their system.

Date Posted: 13 March 2018 at 4:11pm
totally agree ladram, at least for the 1st half then make changes afterwards

-------------

Posted By: ap sior
Date Posted: 13 March 2018 at 4:41pm
After the AI's we nearly lost at home to Benetton. By the following week we'd sorted things out and won comfortably. So I'd play ours bets 23 and rotate during the game.

Posted By: DropOut22
Date Posted: 13 March 2018 at 4:49pm
Going by what pivac has said previously about players taking time to get gatland out of their system. Id guess 3/4 will start v munster maybe 3/4 more on the bench and the rest will come in v la rochelle

Date Posted: 13 March 2018 at 5:02pm

Aside of Barclay would have all the others in our 23 if fit, they also have Farrell,Kleyne and Clote  out .

Posted By: PritchyTheScarlet
Date Posted: 13 March 2018 at 7:26pm
Got to be heading out there looking for the win, even if that means selecting a strong starting fifteen.

-------------
“Gareth Edwards just ran 30 yards and got a Knighthood, I sidestepped five players and got arthritis in both knees.” - Benny

Date Posted: 13 March 2018 at 8:05pm
12 points behind Glasgow, Munster probably feel that first spot is out of their grasp. They are 6 points ahead of Cheetahs, but with a game in hand. However that game is away to Edinburgh this Friday. If they lose that one they may change their minds about resting internationals against us.

Date Posted: 13 March 2018 at 8:18pm
Think we all want Munster to win Friday. Help put Edinburgh further away from us too

-------------

Date Posted: 13 March 2018 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

12 points behind Glasgow, Munster probably feel that first spot is out of their grasp. They are 6 points ahead of Cheetahs, but with a game in hand. However that game is away to Edinburgh this Friday. If they lose that one they may change their minds about resting internationals against us.

Irish Internationals will not join up with there Munster team mates until the week before the Toulon Quarter Final, that as been agree by Munster and the IRFU ...

Posted By: Legendinmybathroom
Date Posted: 13 March 2018 at 8:42pm
They don’t have to worry about the Cheetahs as they are not playing a full role in the playoffs and european cup qualification. I’m sure that whoever finishes 4th behind the Cheetahs goes on to qualify for the playoffs - although I may be wrong and they just get replaced when it comes to european places.

Posted By: trinity60
Date Posted: 13 March 2018 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by Legendinmybathroom Legendinmybathroom wrote:

They don’t have to worry about the Cheetahs as they are not playing a full role in the playoffs and european cup qualification. I’m sure that whoever finishes 4th behind the Cheetahs goes on to qualify for the playoffs - although I may be wrong and they just get replaced when it comes to european places.

Cheetahs can qualify for playoffs but not Europe.

Posted By: SospanMawr
Date Posted: 13 March 2018 at 10:36pm
Rest anyone carrying a niggle or who has played a lot of 6 Nations.
Play everyone else. I would like a team of:
1) Rob 2) Elias 3) Samson 4) Bulbring 5) Cummins/Rawlins 6) Shingler 7) Cubby 8) Boyde
9) Jon 10) Patch 11) Tom Varndell 12) Scott 13) Steff H 14) Asquith 15) Tom Williams

16) Ken 17) Phil Price 18) Gardiner 19) Cummins/Rawlins 20) MacLeod 21) Aled 22) Dan 23) Ioan Nicholas

Meaning we rest Kruger, Beirne, Barclay, Gar Dave, Parkes, Steff, Halfpenny as all have a big part to play vs La Rochelle.

Posted By: Matthew Cardey
Date Posted: 13 March 2018 at 10:37pm
Honestly not sure whats best to do against munster. Fair few will need the week off id say but we don't want to be in a situation where the team are not quite clicking in the first half against la rochelle. The good thing is that so many scarlets players were in the welsh camp together.

Posted By: SA14
Date Posted: 13 March 2018 at 11:31pm
We could always bench the ‘big name’ players and use them for impact.

Posted By: 1carmscarletsfan
Date Posted: 14 March 2018 at 7:16am
I think a lot will depend on the team that play France. If Gareth and Steff start I'd bench them for Munster game. Other than that I'd start everyone so they have time to gel back to the Scarlets way of playing.

Posted By: Dafen Boy
Date Posted: 14 March 2018 at 12:53pm

After the AI's we nearly lost at home to Benetton. By the following week we'd sorted things out and won comfortably. So I'd play ours bets 23 and rotate during the game.

Yes, especially if we have a lot of players on the field this weekend.  I expect at least 4 backs and 4 forwards to start this weekend, with 2 or 3 on the bench.

Posted By: Matthew Cardey
Date Posted: 14 March 2018 at 1:30pm

Very good point. They can rest for a few weeks after the QF!

Posted By: Rich (Bris)
Date Posted: 14 March 2018 at 5:27pm
Just a thought but how definite is the story that Munster won't be playing their Irish Internationals?

Date Posted: 14 March 2018 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by Rich (Bris) Rich (Bris) wrote:

Just a thought but how definite is the story that Munster won't be playing their Irish Internationals?

Read the story on the Irish Times Link  yesterday, it said Munster and Leinster would not be expecting there Internationals back for there Pro.14 games prior to there European Quarter Finals a week later, after an agreement with the IRFU .

Date Posted: 14 March 2018 at 7:48pm
So if Leinster are not fully loaded after 6N, perhaps the O's can do us a favour by beating them !!!

Posted By: Legendinmybathroom
Date Posted: 14 March 2018 at 8:47pm
Hopefully they can but that’s not a cert the way the ospreys are playing at the moment. They may stand a chance if they pick their Welsh players but their fringe players are not capable of beating Leinster on their current form.

Posted By: Eastern outpost
Date Posted: 14 March 2018 at 9:15pm

So if Leinster are not fully loaded after 6N, perhaps the O's can do us a favour by beating them !!!
Tongue in cheek comment? Been on the Double Dragon early?

Or, a serious comment?

Hope you’re right, btw.

-------------
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.

Date Posted: 14 March 2018 at 9:25pm
I'm fine thank you. Hope you and hours are too.

Ospreys internationals normally go straight back into the starting 15. AWJ apart, their internationals have been lightly used during this 6N.

Posted By: Eastern outpost
Date Posted: 14 March 2018 at 9:32pm

I'm fine thank you. Hope you and hours are too.

Ospreys internationals normally go straight back into the starting 15. AWJ apart, their internationals have been lightly used during this 6N.
Cheers, yes indeed 👍 thanks.

That’s good to hear. We can but hope.

Maybe their season ticket launch will coincide with an improvement on the pitch.

Fingers crossed.

-------------
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net