Forum Description: Team News, Season Tickets, Next Match
URL: http://www.scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=44426
Printed Date: 23 July 2018 at 6:40pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Recruitment policy of Pivac
Posted By: Legendinmybathroom
Subject: Recruitment policy of Pivac
Date Posted: 11 April 2018 at 9:38am
Nice article on the wales online about our recruitment. They look at the player both on and off the field to see whether they will fit in with the culture, they don’t like robots, they look at their suitability to our style of play and their ability to play in different positions. They also seem to really value the importance of us being a family club, as echoed by JB in his interview with SQ after the game on Saturday.
It seems that they are very meticulous in their research into the players and if they don’t think they will suit us, they won’t sign them.
With this level of detail going into each signing that we make, I have every confidence that we will not be making the mistakes of seasons gone by, and the mistakes that clubs continue to make when it comes to new signings.
The future looks rosey, or do I mean ‘scarlet’.

Replies:
Posted By: GPR - Rochester
Date Posted: 11 April 2018 at 9:50am
Precisely - his words were "we don't want rugby robots". The management team have carefully & methodically built a squad who enjoy going to work and very importantly enjoy each others company. Early doors some casualties arose but now they seem to have a fantastic togetherness which Scott touched on in his SQ interview. 

Having achieved a united squad it is now so important that any players added to the squad fit in not only with the playing style but the harmony within the squad. 

Posted By: Fscarlet
Date Posted: 11 April 2018 at 9:53am
Link to the article here:

http:///www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/secrets-behind-scarlets-recruitment-policy-14513401" rel="nofollow - http:///www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/secrets-behind-scarlets-recruitment-policy-14513401

I especially like the lines where Pivac has said "We do a lot of homework in terms of what they are like away from the rugby field. That interests us as well, as to what type of people they are, because we have got a pretty good environment here now and a pretty good culture."

Goes to show he isn't just after any old bloke to fill a position & takes time to look at what impact any potential signing will have on the group of existing players & staff.

Date Posted: 11 April 2018 at 10:07am
There are plenty of examples of individuals who can ruin the team dynamic & well done to Pivac and his team for understanding this & working so hard to avoid the pitfalls. If one player sums up Pivac's ideal for me it would be Aaron Shingler - an immensely talented athlete who is always very humble & polite. This culture also explains why Pivac came down very hard on Cubby when he transgressed; we all thought he was quite harsh at the time when he suggested that Cubby's job was on the line but he was serious. Respect for your fellow players, management, the game & officials is paramount. 

Posted By: Exkixu
Date Posted: 11 April 2018 at 10:18am
That's Quade Cooper out of the question then. LOL

-------------
1 Xavier Rush   2 Rhys Priestland   3 David Lyons   Cardiff Blues - Scarlets, 26/09/09      

More carries than any of our forwards. Priestland Fan Club Proud Member

Date Posted: 11 April 2018 at 10:26am
Quade, Marlon Yarde & Finn Russell are 3 that spring to mind!!!!!

Date Posted: 11 April 2018 at 10:31am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

There are plenty of examples of individuals who can ruin the team dynamic & well done to Pivac and his team for understanding this & working so hard to avoid the pitfalls. If one player sums up Pivac's ideal for me it would be Aaron Shingler - an immensely talented athlete who is always very humble & polite. This culture also explains why Pivac came down very hard on Cubby when he transgressed; we all thought he was quite harsh at the time when he suggested that Cubby's job was on the line but he was serious. Respect for your fellow players, management, the game & officials is paramount. 

In an interview with the W.Mail Sam Warburton said

Who’s been your Welsh player of the season?

SW: Aaron Shingler for the impact he’s had. He’s always been a top player around the set up but it’s just small things.

Everyone knows he’s great with his athleticism and has got speed but what he’s been really good at is just being aggressive and a nuisance at the breakdown, doing what top-class back-rowers should do but a lot don’t.

He’s off-loading much more than I think he did in the early days of his career. Perhaps the Scarlets’ philosophy has brought that out.

So, if you add that on to what he was already extremely strong at, you can see why he’s been so influential for the Scarlets and Wales.

Posted By: Mr Ian
Date Posted: 11 April 2018 at 11:28am
i like the idea of players with X factor...even if I tought that can arrive more players from Auckland area...will be not easy an other exploit like Beirne, but surely the new players will give their support to the team..Thomson doesnt play regulary at the moment, hope is only a coach decision

Date Posted: 11 April 2018 at 11:39am
Originally posted by Mr Ian Mr Ian wrote:

i like the idea of players with X factor...even if I tought that can arrive more players from Auckland area...will be not easy an other exploit like Beirne, but surely the new players will give their support to the team..Thomson doesnt play regulary at the moment, hope is only a coach decision

I think that may be due to his issues with three shoudler dislocations he has suffered in the last 2 seasons.

Posted By: Dai38
Date Posted: 11 April 2018 at 11:43am
Wayne was in the Ranch (Llanelli CC) last year and he explained how he chooses the players, also of great interest, is that he does not expect an instant success, it takes time to get to know the ethos, understanding of the team, as well as how rugby is played in Wales, less for players already in Wales.

I hope those who originally criticised Johnny McNichol, Steve Cummins, Hadleigh Parkes etc should realise this, look at them now, one a Welsh international, and the other 2 are playing well.

Wayne's man management id very good, and it is backed up by a team of WELSH coaches, what more can we ask for, well personally all staying with the club, but really I would be chuffed for them if they take the step up to Wales.

I just hope succession planning is taking place !!

-------------
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!

Posted By: T_RICHARDS_94
Date Posted: 11 April 2018 at 11:48am
Although it's a different sport, Pep Guardiola spoke about his recruitment policy the other day and his comments were very similar. They look more at the personality of the player sometimes before deciding whether to sign or not. It's to make sure they have "good people" and can adapt to the culture. It's working for them and it's working for us!

Great read too.

-------------
Please take 5 minutes to read my blog https://tapngo.wordpress.com/" rel="nofollow - - Tap and Go

Posted By: aber-fan
Date Posted: 11 April 2018 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

In an interview with the W.Mail Sam Warburton said

Who’s been your Welsh player of the season?

SW: Aaron Shingler for the impact he’s had. He’s always been a top player around the set up but it’s just small things.

Everyone knows he’s great with his athleticism and has got speed but what he’s been really good at is just being aggressive and a nuisance at the breakdown, doing what top-class back-rowers should do but a lot don’t.

He’s off-loading much more than I think he did in the early days of his career. Perhaps the Scarlets’ philosophy has brought that out.

So, if you add that on to what he was already extremely strong at, you can see why he’s been so influential for the Scarlets and Wales.

Thanks for that - hadn't seen it before. Fine words and compliments from Warburton for one of our star men.

As for recruitment - it certainly looks as if the players play for each other, and that can only come from choosing boys who'll buy in to the team and club ethos. Long may it continue!

-------------
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)

Date Posted: 16 April 2018 at 9:09am
Not really recruitment related but didn't want to start a new thread, but some really good comments from Pivac about before he started with us which I think just goes to show how well he has done & how much he values the heritage of the Scarlets, particularly the bit in bold.

"I am accessible to whoever wants to have a meeting.” His marriage broke up when he was in New Zealand so he can give 24 hours to the job. “We have seen this thing building. We have a bit of a gang mentality, you rely on the guy next to you and know he has your back, which is something I learnt in my original career in the police.

"The community are feeding off it and I can see our boys making a difference in their lives. People have a new lease of life as supporters, you can see the smiles on their faces and the productivity in the town goes up. The players do wonders, they mix with parents and kids and supporters and listen to what they say.”

Pivac also revealed when he arrived at the region, Easterby was about to choose one of the foreign players as captain.

“I told Simon to hang on and not make any announcement. I wanted a Welsh guy, Welsh-speaking, because we represent west Wales, where there are a lot of Welsh speakers. I wanted our captain to do a full job in the media and not half the job," added Pivac.

“He had to be somebody who commanded a starting position but I also like the warrior type that leads from the front."

That man was Lions hooker Ken Owens and the Welsh front-rower could well find his regional coach as national boss after the 2019 Rugby World Cup with Pivac one of the names in the frame to succeed Warren Gatland.

Posted By: s.pimpernel
Date Posted: 16 April 2018 at 9:25am
Originally posted by T_RICHARDS_94 T_RICHARDS_94 wrote:

Although it's a different sport, Pep Guardiola spoke about his recruitment policy the other day and his comments were very similar. They look more at the personality of the player sometimes before deciding whether to sign or not. It's to make sure they have "good people" and can adapt to the culture. It's working for them and it's working for us!

Great read too.

Well City signed Raheem Stirling. Enough said.

But I do miss the days of signing utter crap and sticking them on hugely inflated contracts.......NOTLOL

I say to this day that if Daniel Braid (who in fairness wasn`t crap) hadn`t got injured, his alleged salary alone would have sunk us.

Or the "Urbam Myth" story about a player Stevo recommended (can`t remember his name) and when he found out how much his contract was he allegedly said "He`s good but he`s not that f**king good" LOL

-------------
In Pivac we trust

Posted By: Sosban bach
Date Posted: 16 April 2018 at 9:46am
Varndell first pants signing? Luckily a loan lol!

Posted By: dyniol53
Date Posted: 16 April 2018 at 11:36am

Great read too.

Yes, i think I read that too, v interesting!

The All Blacks have their "No d***heads" policy but also I've seen a few similar examples outside sport so for example Adam&Eve DDB, the people who make the John Lewis adverts say you "must be talented AND nice" to work there and I read the other day that you can't get a job at Netflix if you're a "brilliant jerk" 

One bad apple spoils the broth!

-------------
DJ

Posted By: surfing-mtber
Date Posted: 16 April 2018 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

Great read too.

The All Blacks have their "No d***heads" policy but also I've seen a few similar examples outside sport so for example Adam&Eve DDB, the people who make the John Lewis adverts say you "must be talented AND nice" to work there and I read the other day that you can't get a job at Netflix if you're a "brilliant jerk" 

Let's not let the cooks loose in the barrel then! LOL

-------------
Joshua24:15

Posted By: 1carmscarletsfan
Date Posted: 16 April 2018 at 1:59pm

Posted By: dyniol53
Date Posted: 16 April 2018 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by surfing-mtber surfing-mtber wrote:

Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

Great read too.

Let's not let the cooks loose in the barrel then! LOL

Too many apples LOL

-------------
DJ

Posted By: glyndwr
Date Posted: 24 April 2018 at 7:14pm
Pivac to me has a very "Moneyball" kind of recruitment style. Always finding those gems who are solid players with high ceilings but not given the chance or yet to break through.

Also looks like Jeff Hassler is leaving the Ospreys this summer. Always rated him and I reckon he'd fit in well down Parc.

Posted By: Ffidel Bennett
Date Posted: 24 April 2018 at 9:54pm
There's a little bit of aggression, a la Lowe in Hassler, and although not our usual type of signing he'd be a useful squad player if not too expensive.

Posted By: SospanMawr
Date Posted: 24 April 2018 at 10:22pm
Agree would like to see Hassler here however he is NWQ and injury prone so not sure it’s the smartest move. Good player though.

Posted By: Mugwuffin
Date Posted: 24 April 2018 at 10:31pm
Hassler has been quite injury prone over the last couple of seasons. His hands and pace aren’t great either. He’s been a useful ball carrier for the Ospreys, but I doubt he’d fit in particularly well with the way we want to play.

Posted By: ScarletBear
Date Posted: 25 April 2018 at 1:47am
Wan't Hassler the wing who opened the door for Josh to score in the PYS derby over Christmas? If so, he obviously likes us.

-------------
Scarlets before Wales

Posted By: PE SA
Date Posted: 25 April 2018 at 9:44am
Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

Wan't Hassler the wing who opened the door for Josh to score in the PYS derby over Christmas? If so, he obviously likes us.

No that was Dirksen.

Hassler would thrive in our environment IMO. Never give up type character whether thats to chase down an attacker or a support run.
One of if not the most consistent performers for the Ospreys in the last 5yrs IMO. And knows where the try line is. he's a finisher.
Cant get over the Ospreys have not offered him a contract to be honest.

Date Posted: 25 April 2018 at 9:54am
I like Hassler, seems a strong runner even in contact - good leg drive to keep going. The only thing, however is he plays for Canada - so he would be missing for chunks of the season.

Posted By: thommo
Date Posted: 25 April 2018 at 10:06am
What we need is a winger with serious speed and that is not hassler. For that reason hope we are not considering him. Steff does not have serious gas but makes up for that with his quickfeet. Playing the style we do attacking turnovers we need a flyer likei ioane of treviso.

Posted By: trident
Date Posted: 25 April 2018 at 10:23am
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

No that was Dirksen.

Hassler would thrive in our environment IMO. Never give up type character whether thats to chase down an attacker or a support run.
One of if not the most consistent performers for the Ospreys in the last 5yrs IMO. And knows where the try line is. he's a finisher.
Cant get over the Ospreys have not offered him a contract to be honest.

Apparently he had a 2 year deal with him having the option to extend for a further year. Earlier this year he told the O's he wouldn't be taking up that option. More recently he asked if it was still open but by then they had reallocated the funds.

Posted By: RR1972
Date Posted: 25 April 2018 at 10:34am
hassler can shift, and he is a strong runner, but he has had a lot of injuries. The other worry is that he constantly looks for contact , where as we try to avoid it.  All things considered I think we should pass , bet the drags go in for him

Date Posted: 25 April 2018 at 10:39am
The first choice  Scarlets starting wingers for next season are probably already in place- Steff, McNicholl, and Clayton. Hassler would be only be used to boost the squad while our youngsters develop. How often would he play for Canada (and be unavailable) and how much would he cost are the two big questions that would have to be posed. Of our probable starters I think Clayton is pretty quick, but if we look at other teams use of wingers, and their use of kick and chase as a weapon to exert pressure  we just haven't got it. It's not just lack of pace on behalf of our boys but also generally very poor kicking to give our wingers a chance. Our box kicking against Leinster gave us no chance to retrieve the ball and plenty for Leinster to control exactly where on the field they wanted to put pressure on us next. Our tactical kicking wasn't even relieving the pressure on us let alone putting pressure on them. A lot of this was, of course, due to the superiority of the Leinster pack in the breakdown area, but by no means all of it.

Posted By: turkishrebel
Date Posted: 25 April 2018 at 11:20am
think we do need a flyer in the squad, but we will certainly have more pace in the back 3 with mcnicholl back and bloomtejees who is rapid.

-------------
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!

Date Posted: 25 April 2018 at 11:48am
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

The first choice  Scarlets starting wingers for next season are probably already in place- Steff, McNicholl, and Clayton. Hassler would be only be used to boost the squad while our youngsters develop. How often would he play for Canada (and be unavailable) and how much would he cost are the two big questions that would have to be posed. Of our probable starters I think Clayton is pretty quick, but if we look at other teams use of wingers, and their use of kick and chase as a weapon to exert pressure  we just haven't got it. It's not just lack of pace on behalf of our boys but also generally very poor kicking to give our wingers a chance. Our box kicking against Leinster gave us no chance to retrieve the ball and plenty for Leinster to control exactly where on the field they wanted to put pressure on us next. Our tactical kicking wasn't even relieving the pressure on us let alone putting pressure on them. A lot of this was, of course, due to the superiority of the Leinster pack in the breakdown area, but by no means all of it.

From what I have seen of Clayton he will be our quickest player by some distance. Our tactical kicking is our biggest problem area which is surprising with Stevo involved. Next season our back 3 resources look pretty good - Halfpenny, Clayton, Steff, Jonny, Fonotia, Asquith, Tom Williams, Conbeer, Prydie.

Date Posted: 25 April 2018 at 12:17pm
a back 3 of clayton mcnicholl and Williams is as quick as anything in the pro 14

of the team we had out Saturday I would reckon Cawdor is the quickest certainly over the first 20 yards or so

Date Posted: 25 April 2018 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

a back 3 of clayton mcnicholl and Williams is as quick as anything in the pro 14

of the team we had out Saturday I would reckon Cawdor is the quickest certainly over the first 20 yards or so

Which Williams you talking about or is it Steff Evans you mean?

Posted By: Sosban bach
Date Posted: 25 April 2018 at 12:39pm
Apparently shingler is the quickest over 100 lol!

Posted By: insidehalf
Date Posted: 25 April 2018 at 12:46pm
I've heard (don't know how much truth is in it) that Tom Williams was told he was being released and has since gone awol. Maybe something in it as he's not playing and there's no mention of him on the injured list.

Date Posted: 25 April 2018 at 12:48pm

Which Williams you talking about or is it Steff Evans you mean?

Williams the sevens player, I love stef as a player but he isn,t top end fast

I guess Varndell is the fastest now, shingle cubby and patch can all shift as well !

Date Posted: 25 April 2018 at 1:37pm
To me, Varndell has lost a lot of the pace which he used to have, or the acceleration has gone which is just as important.

Date Posted: 25 April 2018 at 1:45pm
Other than mcnicholl we have no other flyer in the three quarters. That is something that has to be addressed as on Saturday we did not look convincing outside as the players didn't have faith in their wide channell offensive. The brand we play is a joy to watch but the opportunities have to be finished by out and out wings. It is as specialised a position IMO as scrum half. When players out of position are thrown onto the wing it is patently clear too see it does not work.

Date Posted: 25 April 2018 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by thommo thommo wrote:

Other than mcnicholl we have no other flyer in the three quarters. That is something that has to be addressed as on Saturday we did not look convincing outside as the players didn't have faith in their wide channell offensive. The brand we play is a joy to watch but the opportunities have to be finished by out and out wings. It is as specialised a position IMO as scrum half. When players out of position are thrown onto the wing it is patently clear too see it does not work.

In terms of fliers that has started to be addressed with the addition of Clayton (sorry I won't even attempt to spell his surname).

Date Posted: 25 April 2018 at 2:29pm

I’m not sure that would quite match up to the Kings’ and Cheetahs’ Back 3. They might not be the best rugby players, but they have exceptional pace.

Date Posted: 25 April 2018 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by Mugwuffin Mugwuffin wrote:

I’m not sure that would quite match up to the Kings’ and Cheetahs’ Back 3. They might not be the best rugby players, but they have exceptional pace.

Valid point but we have signed one of them, maybe well get the others next year LOL

Posted By: aber-fan
Date Posted: 25 April 2018 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

Fair comments - the accuracy of our tactical kicking definitely needs to improve, as does the chase.

As for pace - Clayton and Mcnicholl are both quick, and Steff is very elusive, so all pretty useful - as Conbeer may be if he can develop. 

-------------
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)

Posted By: diego6754
Date Posted: 25 April 2018 at 4:44pm
Don't underestimate how fast Foxy is as well, deceptively quick when fully fit, especially over the first 20 yards or so.

Date Posted: 25 April 2018 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by insidehalf insidehalf wrote:

I've heard (don't know how much truth is in it) that Tom Williams was told he was being released and has since gone awol. Maybe something in it as he's not playing and there's no mention of him on the injured list.

I have heard that too, probably why we haven’t seen him anywhere near the match 23 in recent weeks

Posted By: diego6754
Date Posted: 25 April 2018 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by Legendinmybathroom Legendinmybathroom wrote:

I have heard that too, probably why we haven’t seen him anywhere near the match 23 in recent weeks

That's sad. I thought he'd done enough over the international periods when he hasn't been injured to warrant another year or two.

Posted By: shocker
Date Posted: 25 April 2018 at 5:09pm
Believe we missed a trick by not going for north, especially when he signed for our neighbours.
if we can see we are lacking pace, in sure the bobbing team does. Hope to see a few back 3 signings amongst others

Date Posted: 25 April 2018 at 5:15pm
Want to sign a wing when you know he intercepts in our 22 he is not going to be caught and the opposition know this and dont even attempt to chase.

Date Posted: 25 April 2018 at 5:22pm
Any ideas where those wings are

Date Posted: 25 April 2018 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by shocker shocker wrote:

Any ideas where those wings are

With David Hodges having a significant role with USA rugby we could gain an inside tip. Other than that you have to go Southern Hemisphere e.p Polynesian or African.

Posted By: Scarlet O'Hara
Date Posted: 25 April 2018 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by diego6754 diego6754 wrote:

Don't underestimate how fast Foxy is as well, deceptively quick when fully fit, especially over the first 20 yards or so.

He can't even walk at the moment.

Date Posted: 25 April 2018 at 5:37pm
Isles or a baker type?

Date Posted: 25 April 2018 at 5:46pm

Believe we missed a trick by not going for north, especially when he signed for our neighbours.
if we can see we are lacking pace, in sure the bobbing team does. Hope to see a few back 3 signings amongst others

We did try and sign North. He preferred the Ospreys.

Posted By: knutsfordlion
Date Posted: 25 April 2018 at 5:46pm

We expressed our interest and he chose elsewhere.

He didn't want to fight for his place within our culture so no loss.

He has said that he is excited about the future with the Ospreys and their plans ??

Move on now anyway and enjoy what we have on the books for next season.

-------------
Page the oracle

Posted By: SA14
Date Posted: 25 April 2018 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by Scarlet O'Hara Scarlet O'Hara wrote:

I’m pretty sure he can.

Posted By: John
Date Posted: 25 April 2018 at 6:00pm
Well the Os clearly have some big plans and some silver-tongued management to put them across. I'm somewhat mystified why a player in George's situation doesn't jump at the chance at working with our coaching team but if he doesn't then he can try elsewhere. We're in the position of only taking on players who want to wear scarlet.

Posted By: Speedy
Date Posted: 25 April 2018 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

I’m pretty sure he can.

Looked fine alongside Mcnichol walking into the Aviva alongside us....even joined in a chant or two.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN7pGq1i2jhev2YLcZ89h7Q/videos" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN7pGq1i2jhev2YLcZ89h7Q/videos

Posted By: Scarlet O'Hara
Date Posted: 25 April 2018 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

I’m pretty sure he can.

With a limp.

Date Posted: 25 April 2018 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by thommo thommo wrote:

Want to sign a wing when you know he intercepts in our 22 he is not going to be caught and the opposition know this and dont even attempt to chase.

I'll ask around to see if Stockdale is free.

-------------
Scarlets before Wales

Posted By: EJPT
Date Posted: 25 April 2018 at 8:59pm
That Yaw Penxe for the southern kings is damn fast.

Posted By: insidehalf
Date Posted: 25 April 2018 at 10:02pm
Is Josh Adams available at the end of next season? Maybe we will go for him and Liam.

Posted By: mark in sydney
Date Posted: 26 April 2018 at 5:12am

Is Josh Adams available at the end of next season? Maybe we will go for him and Liam.

I would prefer the club go for Josh Adams as his skill set would fit in nicely in the backline

I still think we need some more abrasive forwards in the second and back row  ...If my thoughts about Michael Wells in line for a Wallaby cap (s)  against Ireland in June are correct in that there has been no comment on him by the club, I would be seriously looking at a Scott Higginbotham as a target ... some discipline issues at times but a guy who is abrasive and niggly ... he is 31 now and ripe to leave Qld even though he is captain this year.
He could cover blind side, 8, and second row .... yes I do know we have signed Cassiem and Jake coming back but we need to add to our depth with Europe in mind for next season 

-------------
I was there ...one Tuesday when the All Blacks came (and lost)

Posted By: 2ndtimeround
Date Posted: 26 April 2018 at 5:48am
Originally posted by John John wrote:

Well the Os clearly have some big plans and some silver-tongued management to put them across. I'm somewhat mystified why a player in George's situation doesn't jump at the chance at working with our coaching team but if he doesn't then he can try elsewhere. We're in the position of only taking on players who want to wear scarlet.

Maybe he knows more than we do about the longer term future of our coaching team. Just a thought.

Posted By: Gate12
Date Posted: 26 April 2018 at 8:24am
Even if he did know something about our coaches futures, which I'd guess he'd have no idea about, his coaches next season at us would have been the current coaching regime as nothing will change until after next season.

Then it's a world cup season where the tournament doesn't end until the 2nd November, he'd then get a month off I'm guessing so will at the most only get a couple of games before the 6 nations and then back for the run in so his club coach in 2019/20 season is a bit of a sideshow.

Our NWQ recruitment next summer will be more important than ever and this seasons signings will no doubt have the WC in mind which makes the Ospreys approach of bringing in 3 Welsh players for the next 2/3 years look a bit riskier than normal, if they have a year in the second tier of Europe next season the next 2 years could be a bit of a write off.

Date Posted: 26 April 2018 at 8:37am
just feel a bit sad we didn't get George and with scott going there as well their backs look more potent with our ex players. just hope we have maybe another signing or 2 still to come in. bit down after our loss at the weekend too so just need a little spark to get me going again.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 April 2018 at 8:44am
Have a look at this line up which should cheer you up :-

15. Halfpenny 14. Jonny 13. Foxy 12. Hadleigh 11. Steff 10 Rhys 9. Cawdor

Available for bench duty :- Jonathan Evans, Dan, Clayton, Steff Hughes, Fonotia, Conbeer, Prydie.

Date Posted: 26 April 2018 at 9:13am
thanks GPR, sorry just bad week after our loss and working in Swansea. jacks all crowing a bit (don't know why after their loss to zebra).
wonder if there will be any more recruitment with our backs?

-------------

Date Posted: 26 April 2018 at 9:35am

Have a look at this line up which should cheer you up :-

15. Halfpenny 14. Jonny 13. Foxy 12. Hadleigh 11. Steff 10 Rhys 9. Cawdor

Available for bench duty :- Jonathan Evans, Dan, Clayton, Steff Hughes, Fonotia, Conbeer, Prydie.

Or if you want to go very attacking you could have Johnny at 15 & Clayton at 14. (I can't wait to see this guy in a Scarlet shirt!!).

Posted By: greypower1
Date Posted: 26 April 2018 at 9:43am
Slow progress with Foxy. What if he fails to make it? Many have had to retire early in the past.

-------------
Keep the faith

Date Posted: 26 April 2018 at 9:54am
Happy this morning greypower1

-------------

Posted By: greypower1
Date Posted: 26 April 2018 at 10:17am
Yes, I'm much brighter now. Foxy will make it and be better than ever.😋

-------------
Keep the faith

Date Posted: 26 April 2018 at 12:59pm
A couple of months ago, when it was snowing in Cardiff, Foxy was acting as an emergency ambulance man taking the infirm to the Heath hospital in his 4 x 4. Can't really believe that he's got a career threatening injury. Probably just taking his time to ensure a complete recovery.

Posted By: Mundoscarlet
Date Posted: 26 April 2018 at 1:12pm
Also, if Wayne is in line for Wales duty, I'm sure that he will with the club , be looking for a coaching set up to replace himself and whoever goes too

Posted By: cymroab
Date Posted: 26 April 2018 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by Mundoscarlet Mundoscarlet wrote:

Also, if Wayne is in line for Wales duty, I'm sure that he will with the club , be looking for a coaching set up to replace himself and whoever goes too
I would like to think that Mr Barclay would make a good forwards coach. His children are Welsh speakers and I think he’d rather have stayed anyway.

Posted By: redeyes
Date Posted: 26 April 2018 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by greypower1 greypower1 wrote:

Slow progress with Foxy. What if he fails to make it? Many have had to retire early in the past.

It was always going to be a long absence for Foxy.

-------------
The stadium may change, but the dream will remain the same!

Date Posted: 26 April 2018 at 2:13pm
best that foxey takes his time and gets it right, not worth pushing with an injury like that. top quality guy

-------------

Date Posted: 26 April 2018 at 2:33pm

will there be anymore signings this season? where do we need still to strengthen?

-------------

Date Posted: 26 April 2018 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by cymroab cymroab wrote:

Originally posted by Mundoscarlet Mundoscarlet wrote:

I would like to think that Mr Barclay would make a good forwards coach. His children are Welsh speakers and I think he’d rather have stayed anyway.

What? Did he not get offered a contract by us or are you saying he felt obliged (looking for better word) to head back to Scotland given he is (probably) their captain for RWC?

-------------
Scarlets before Wales

Date Posted: 26 April 2018 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by turkishrebel turkishrebel wrote:

just feel a bit sad we didn't get George and with scott going there as well their backs look more potent with our ex players. just hope we have maybe another signing or 2 still to come in. bit down after our loss at the weekend too so just need a little spark to get me going again.

Same here pal, same here.

-------------
Scarlets before Wales

Posted By: Once a monkey
Date Posted: 26 April 2018 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by redeyes redeyes wrote:

Originally posted by greypower1 greypower1 wrote:

It was always going to be a long absence for Foxy.
I spoke to him on Tuesday Ian, and he said just that. The nature of the injury was never going to allow a quick come back, given the possibility for recurring injury, so he always new he would never make this season. This will be his first summer off, non touring, since 2009.  It will be good for us long term I suspect.

-------------
#George

Date Posted: 26 April 2018 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by turkishrebel turkishrebel wrote:

thanks GPR, sorry just bad week after our loss and working in Swansea. jacks all crowing a bit (don't know why after their loss to zebra).
wonder if there will be any more recruitment with our backs?

Thats ok know the feeling - I forgot Asquith - how could I with him being another magnificent find from Pivac. 

Posted By: Wasp
Date Posted: 26 April 2018 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by Legendinmybathroom Legendinmybathroom wrote:

He’s been at the Parc today!
https://twitter.com/tomwillz_/status/989557435181432832?s=21

-------------
We're still still here!

Date Posted: 26 April 2018 at 9:15pm
Fair play I saw that on Twitter earlier didn’t half make me laugh 😂

Date Posted: 28 April 2018 at 1:43pm
Watching Fiji in 7s, wow some pace there. Can we get them please

Date Posted: 28 April 2018 at 1:56pm

Watching Fiji in 7s, wow some pace there. Can we get them please
 Yeah because raw pace suddenly makes you a superb 15s player as seen by Kristian Phillips and Carlin Isles being twice the player of Liam Williams and Israel Dagg...

Date Posted: 28 April 2018 at 2:39pm
?

Posted By: roy munster
Date Posted: 28 April 2018 at 7:26pm
jeff hassler available, pardon the expression could be good squad fodder, always gives 101%

-------------
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)

Date Posted: 28 April 2018 at 7:31pm
Bit injury prone, but not surprised really bearing in mind that he is used as a battering ram. Will probably be fairly cheap but could also be away on international duty. Apparently he was told that he couldn’t leave, was needed for next season, only to be then told that had changed with the signing of GN.

Posted By: roy munster
Date Posted: 29 April 2018 at 6:51pm
\theyve treated him harshly, hes a heck of a hard working player and effective too , only 26 

-------------
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)

Posted By: Scarletrover
Date Posted: 29 April 2018 at 6:56pm
Worth a shout IMO.

-------------
http://www.scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9579&PN=1&TPN=1">

Date Posted: 29 April 2018 at 7:01pm
Tom Williams has gone

Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 29 April 2018 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

jeff hassler available, pardon the expression could be good squad fodder, always gives 101%

Proven winger. We do have quite a few back 3 players, not so many out and out wingers.
Good player.

Date Posted: 29 April 2018 at 7:58pm

Tom Williams has gone

Shame we desperately need a quality finisher like mentioned earlier one of those Fijian please.

Posted By: haydn_davies
Date Posted: 29 April 2018 at 9:06pm
I'd jump at the chance of signing Hassler.

Just depends what out NWQ quota for next season is like,

-------------
Think, think, think - it's a thinking man's game!! - The Great Carwyn James.
Just for our SA friends - Weste is die beste!

Posted By: glyndwr
Date Posted: 29 April 2018 at 9:35pm
I wonder where Tom is going? Any ideas?
I still think Hassler would be a nice little addition. Unsure if even though capped fully by Canada that his tenure in Wales would see home as welsh qualified on a technicality so would that affect quotas?

Date Posted: 29 April 2018 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by glyndwr glyndwr wrote:

I wonder where Tom is going? Any ideas?
I still think Hassler would be a nice little addition. Unsure if even though capped fully by Canada that his tenure in Wales would see home as welsh qualified on a technicality so would that affect quotas?

No, he’s definitely NWQ.

Date Posted: 29 April 2018 at 11:05pm
As for next season's wingers, Ioan already has a few starts to his name. and is steadily putting in better performances. He doesn't really have outstanding speed to add the finishing touches which outright pace allows. Neither does Steff Evans but he has such quick feet and balance that he almost always beats the first defender (sometimes he comes back and does it a second time too!!) Now that opponents have realized this they put two or more around him to stop him. That should open up some space for team-mates to exploit when he offloads quickly or grubber kicks, and we should be finding more ways of exploiting this.
McNicholl will hopefully be back to his best and claim the right wing as his own or share it with Clayton.
I was hoping that some of our younger wingers - Conbeer, Baldwin Tom Rogers or Tomi Lewis would be coming into the side soon but I appear to have been too optimistic, and the departure of Tom Williams and limits on our NWQ players probably means  we need to be looking for bargain WQ speed merchants willing to accept a contract as Scarlet Squad players, with a chance to impress and progress if they do well, (just think Tadgh), and we should still be looking to boost the squad without breaking the bank, (realising that Tadgh is probably a very rare find)

Posted By: haydn_davies
Date Posted: 30 April 2018 at 12:13am
NWQs:
Werner Kruger
Kieran Fonotia
Blade Thomson
Paul Asquith
Uzzair Cassiem

Time Servers:
Johnny McNicholl
David Bullbring
Steve Cummins
Clayton Bloometjies

Any scope for signing another NWQ player for next season, possibly Hassler?

-------------
Think, think, think - it's a thinking man's game!! - The Great Carwyn James.
Just for our SA friends - Weste is die beste!

Date Posted: 30 April 2018 at 9:14am
I must admit I honestly don't see that much in Hassler, he is very aggressive, sound winger, and while quicker than some we have is not really an out and out speedser

We have a lot of back 3 players, and if we were going to sign anyone, we should get one with genuine speed, not that many around!

-------------

Date Posted: 30 April 2018 at 9:56am
Originally posted by Dai38 Dai38 wrote:

I must admit I honestly don't see that much in Hassler, he is very aggressive, sound winger, and while quicker than some we have is not really an out and out speedser

We have a lot of back 3 players, and if we were going to sign anyone, we should get one with genuine speed, not that many around!
Agree totally.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2015 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk