Forum Description: Team News, Season Tickets, Next Match
URL: https://scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=44651
Printed Date: 28 March 2024 at 5:39pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Pivac is Gatland's successor - Announced
Posted By: GPR - Rochester
Subject: Pivac is Gatland's successor - Announced
Date Posted: 09 July 2018 at 9:32am
WRU have called a news conference for later today apparently to announce Pivac as Gatland's successor. 

Replies:
Posted By: aber-fan
Date Posted: 09 July 2018 at 9:43am
The BBC rumour that Wayne has the job:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/44757428" rel="nofollow - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/44757428

Yet to be confirmed - he is the obvious choice, though from a Scarlets POV it would be a pity... we'll see later.

-------------
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)

Posted By: turkishrebel
Date Posted: 09 July 2018 at 9:48am
gutted to be honest, just don't want him and the coaching team to go. not bothered about WRU to be honest.

-------------
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!

Posted By: Fscarlet
Date Posted: 09 July 2018 at 9:58am
Will be gutted, feel like we are still on the up & improving every season. I hope he isn't away too much next season with Gats & all.

Posted By: dr_martinov
Date Posted: 09 July 2018 at 10:00am
It's the only decision unless there was a massive clash of personalities or outlook at the interviews.

I'd be gutted but hats off to Wayne if this does come to pass.

Posted By: Mr Ian
Date Posted: 09 July 2018 at 10:07am
Double feeling in this news...Pivac, and honestly all the Scarlets staff, deserve this call for how they worked in the last years..Jones and Hayward, one of my favorite coach in Europe for defence, did really well and continue with National team is a fisiological call..
The problem for Scarlets now is find a new staff, of course I think Pivac will help in this process.
Gutted for the announcing time, but for me this could be the moment for Wilson as Scarlets head coach..

Date Posted: 09 July 2018 at 10:09am
Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

It's the only decision unless there was a massive clash of personalities or outlook at the interviews.

Yes he really is the obvious candidate. I really do hope that Stevo steps up to head coach and doesn't go with Pivac. Filling the head coach role at the Scarlets for a few years will hopefully deliver the WRU a ready made successor to Wayne when the time comes.

Posted By: dr_martinov
Date Posted: 09 July 2018 at 10:17am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Yes he really is the obvious candidate. I really do hope that Stevo steps up to head coach and doesn't go with Pivac. Filling the head coach role at the Scarlets for a few years will hopefully deliver the WRU a ready made successor to Wayne when the time comes.

I bet Wayne will take Stevo as backs coach with him - Wales would benefit enormously from the duo to best implement Pivac's gameplan. Wonder if we'll keep Shaun Edwards as defence coach or if he'll move on? He's had such a big impact and our defence and fitness has been top notch with him and Gatland in fairness.

Posted By: SA14
Date Posted: 09 July 2018 at 10:27am
So going by previous Welsh coaches. He’ll be like the second coming for 3 or so years then if we start losing a game or two he’ll be the worse thing to happen to Welsh rugby.

Posted By: minded
Date Posted: 09 July 2018 at 10:29am
Looks like the Crys AGM on Thursday will be a quiet night in at the library... not!

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPnAh1r0V9YMx4LjUAXI1AUts5jgBck9u" rel="nofollow - Scarlets Tries of the Season 2009 - 2022

Date Posted: 09 July 2018 at 10:33am

I bet Wayne will take Stevo as backs coach with him - Wales would benefit enormously from the duo to best implement Pivac's gameplan. Wonder if we'll keep Shaun Edwards as defence coach or if he'll move on? He's had such a big impact and our defence and fitness has been top notch with him and Gatland in fairness.

I can see Edwards heading back to Wigan but I don't think the seasons match up & I don't think the WRU would want to lose him before the RWC.

Posted By: Maple
Date Posted: 09 July 2018 at 11:19am
The only bright side to this is we no longer have suffer aweful coaching from Howley.

-------------
Give Blood, Play Rugby

Date Posted: 09 July 2018 at 11:31am
Yes Stevo is a class above Howley which is not difficult to be honest. He is the obvious candidate but I would still like to see him as our No 1. For the WRU I would offer Larkham the role of attack coach making him an offer he can't refuse. 

Date Posted: 09 July 2018 at 11:54am
Gutted. They’ll be wasted with Wales.

Date Posted: 09 July 2018 at 12:10pm
We can only hope that we only lose one of team. Stevo to No 1 Byron & Ioan carry on & Dwayne come in to be attack coach. At least with Wayne in charge we can hope for some fairer treatment when it comes to release in International windows. He also has a better attitude with the press than the previous regime who usually came across as antagonistic. 

Date Posted: 09 July 2018 at 12:12pm
Is there a risk we could lose Wayne at some point next season in terms of him joining up with the Wales set up throughout the year or do we think it will be a complete new start when he actually has starts the role?

Also we would be due some compensation as he only signed an extension recently.

Posted By: SospanMawr
Date Posted: 09 July 2018 at 12:17pm
Would people be so keen on Dwayne Peel if he wasn't an ex-Scarlet? Honestly I know there were some tough circumstances in Ulster this year but you can't act like he has a decent coaching CV.

I think if Pivac and Stephen are both off, we need to take our compensation and bring in a top quality coach from elsewhere, and keep Byron and Ioan. This coaching appointment is massive in terms of our future. We are hell of an attractive proposition.

I'd ask Pivac to head home and draw up a serious shortlist of contenders. Scott Robertson has done a great job at the Crusaders, winning 38 of the last 45 games with a squad that isn't really stuffed with stars (does contain Sam Whitelock, Kieran Read and Izzy Dagg mind )

Posted By: Rich (Bris)
Date Posted: 09 July 2018 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Gutted. They’ll be wasted with Wales.

I hope and assume he will only take it if they allow him to do things the way he wants

Posted By: NobbySosban
Date Posted: 09 July 2018 at 12:42pm
Today's WRU presser will be mostly about the next Wales coach, but also significant updates on internal restructuring & the new RSA - there'll only be one headline, though.

Today's eventuality was clear from the time Wayne Pivac was appointed head coach - he always said that any leader has a useful shelf-life of 4-5 years, and that time will be up in 2019. Stephen Jones stepping up as Head Coach would have been ideal for continuity and development, but this pair have formed such a strong partnership that they clearly need to be a package.

Do not doubt that the transition and succession plan will have been worked on by Nigel Short and the management board for many months. It may be an unsettling time for supporters, but the long term vision and planning is in place to continue the club's success, and will be backed up with increased budgets from the new 'RSA' (plus compensation for releasing WP & SJ with a year remaining on their contracts), for coaches and players.

Date Posted: 09 July 2018 at 12:52pm
3 people will be at the press conference, as opposed to the 2 people that were scheduled/

Posted By: N14
Date Posted: 09 July 2018 at 12:56pm
Anyone know what time the press conference is scheduled for?

Date Posted: 09 July 2018 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by N14 N14 wrote:

Anyone know what time the press conference is scheduled for?

1pm

Date Posted: 09 July 2018 at 1:00pm
Confirmed.

#WelcomeWayne

Originally posted by WRU WRU wrote:

The 55-year-old former Fiji and Auckland boss - and one-time coaching colleague to both Graham Henry and Steve Hansen - will remain at the 2017 Guinness Pro12 winning Scarlets for the entirety of the 2018/19 season and will only officially come under WRU employment in July 2019.

Gatland, of course, continues in exclusive charge of Wales up to and throughout the RWC, but arrangements for a smooth handover can now be planned in earnest, with the distraction of speculation entirely removed.

Originally posted by Martyn Phillips Martyn Phillips wrote:

"In Wayne Pivac, we have secured the best man for the job and we have done so rigorously and decisively to the collective benefit of all involved in Welsh rugby," said Phillips.

"I am extremely grateful to the Scarlets for their support of this process and their chairman, Nigel Short, in particular who has been first class throughout.

"Both Wayne and Warren and their coaching teams, our international players, supporters and everyone at the Scarlets now have clarity and there is no underestimating the positive benefit to be gained from having the time to plan properly for the future.

"We have avoided the feeding frenzy that can come at the end of a RWC year and we have been meticulous in ensuring we have someone of the talent, experience, charisma and rugby acumen to do the very best possible job for Welsh rugby. The handover process is something we will plan carefully and commence in detail next summer.

"And, for the Scarlets, what coach, whether they are in Wales or anywhere around the rugby playing world, would not relish the opportunity to join a team of such rich history and proven professionalism?

"I would like to think that given the heritage of the Scarlets, their culture, passionate supporters, their track record of success and the quality of their squad that the head coach position will be one of the most sought after in rugby.

"In the meantime, it is vitally important that there are no distractions for Warren, his backroom team and his players and it is equally necessary that Wayne is able to concentrate exclusively on the Scarlets' progression throughout the season ahead."

Originally posted by Wayne Pivac Wayne Pivac wrote:

"To be able to complete the process this far in advance helps the Scarlets, helps Wales and affords me the luxury of time in which to prepare in earnest for one of the biggest jobs in the world game.

"I'll do everything in my power to reward the two men alongside me here today (Gareth Davies and Martyn Phillips) who have put their faith in me, but also to live up to the expectations of the hugely passionate and knowledgeable rugby loving Welsh public.

"It will be an almighty challenge, but one that I'm more than ready for and one that I will relish."

Originally posted by Gareth Davies Gareth Davies wrote:

"You only have to look at the way the Scarlets play and their recent achievements to get excited about the prospect of Wayne Pivac coaching Wales." Ouch<-Gatland

Date Posted: 09 July 2018 at 1:01pm
Really pleased for him, gutted as a Scarlet.

Date Posted: 09 July 2018 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by WRU Statement WRU Statement wrote:

It is equally necessary that Wayne is able to concentrate exclusively on the Scarlets' progression throughout the season ahead

Well that's something I guess.

Posted By: Micro Duck
Date Posted: 09 July 2018 at 1:11pm
Only 12 months to wait to find out if Stephen is also off!

-------------
New KALAMAFONI - BEAST MODE t-shirt now available online.

Plus a new 'Sosban Fach Scoundrels' range.

Paste the link below into your URL:
https://llanelli.teemill.com/

Date Posted: 09 July 2018 at 1:11pm
Pleased for Wayne. Gutted personally.

Posted By: llanelli_boy
Date Posted: 09 July 2018 at 1:16pm
Good luck to him. Like the press release said the world is our oyster. It being announced early allows Wayne to 100% concentrate on us doing the double this year and going out on a high.

Be interesting to see what names will be linked with the job(s) (here is me assuming that Stevo will follow him to Wales). I for one would go for a name with no connection to the region (southern or northern hemisphere), with no baggage and no allegiances. Then bringing in ex players as coaches similar to what Wayne has done.  

Similar in our player recruitment I imagine this process will be extremely detailed and thorough and I am 100% confident in whoever the board choose.

Posted By: thommo
Date Posted: 09 July 2018 at 1:25pm
Well no big surprise. With success you put yourself in the public spotlight. We have to presume that Pivac will take his team with him. With the support of the WRU as we hopefully will receive compensation let's go for another kiwi coach to continue the building process.

Posted By: ScarletSpiderman
Date Posted: 09 July 2018 at 1:30pm
I’m pleased for Wayne (and Steve is he goes too), but I’m also sad to see him (or them) go. The change in the team has been remarkable since he took over, and last season was in my opinion the best season since regionalism. We have to ensure we get someone who can come in and build on what we have rather than having someone arrive who wants to sweep away the old and restart.

Posted By: CRYS16
Date Posted: 09 July 2018 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by minded minded wrote:

Looks like the Crys AGM on Thursday will be a quiet night in at the library... not!

Yes, impeccable timing on our part (I made that up).

So, who's coming along on Thursday? Nigel Short & Mark Davies (PRW) are scheduled for an 18:30 start.

Apologies for the early start but both men need to get away by 19:30.

-------------
Email info@crys16.cymru with your membership queries!

JOIN CRYS 16 FOR FREE:
http://www.crys16.cymru

Posted By: T_RICHARDS_94
Date Posted: 09 July 2018 at 1:36pm
It was always going to happen wasn't it. The perfect man for the job.
So thankful for everything he did for us on and off the pitch. He really did fall in love with the club and our country and I'm so grateful for the memories he's given us. Bath away, Ospreys home, 2017 final in Dublin are my top 3 moments of his reign. Hopefully a lot more to come next season. Strangely it's made me more excited for the season to start so we can give him the send off he deserves.
Roll on Grand Slams with Wales :)
Diolch Wayne

-------------
Writer for https://theprorugbyclub.wordpress.com/" rel="nofollow - The Rugby Club

Date Posted: 09 July 2018 at 1:45pm
Stuart Lancaster to be involved at PYS - thoughts?????

Posted By: Tim Opolis
Date Posted: 09 July 2018 at 1:50pm
The way that Wayne has transformed the Scarlets winning a trophy along the way meant his price tag would rise. He probably had offers over the last 2 years or so. This way he leaves us with the opportunity to become an international coach with succession planning guaranteed. All done very professionally as is the norm with Wayne.

He's a regional coach so will understand the problems we face and hopefully will be more sympathetic than Gatland ever was.

I hope we get the right man to replace him and he will have to be good as there are big shoes to fill. 

But for now we have an exciting season ahead and I'm sure Wayne will have ambitions to finish off with a bang.

As are others, gutted he's leaving, but also pleased for him. He's not hidden his ambitions to be become a test coach and as a Welshman I'm happy we have a great coach at the helm.

Let's ensure we recruit the right people and that we go forward following a smooth transition.

-------------
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.

Posted By: ChrisX
Date Posted: 09 July 2018 at 1:52pm
no great shock, well done Wayne! Mixed emotions. Great for Wales but where does that leave Scarlets.

I hope there are plans in place.. Someone to continue with the great work done over last few years at PYS.

Either promote from within, with coaches who have been developed under Wayne ie Steve, Byron, Ioan?

Or if someone is to come in then I hope they continue with our current style, not rip it up and have to start again..

Posted By: minded
Date Posted: 09 July 2018 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by CRYS16 CRYS16 wrote:

Originally posted by minded minded wrote:

Yes, impeccable timing on our part (I made that up).

So, who's coming along on Thursday? Nigel Short & Mark Davies (PRW) are scheduled for an 18:30 start.

Apologies for the early start but both men need to get away by 19:30.
Would love to but unable to finish work until 17:30 and likely to take a lot longer than an hour to get there at that time of day.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPnAh1r0V9YMx4LjUAXI1AUts5jgBck9u" rel="nofollow - Scarlets Tries of the Season 2009 - 2022

Date Posted: 09 July 2018 at 1:59pm
Regarding taking his success with us. I don’t think he can. One of his strengths was gelling a team and having a community spirit. How can you do that with players from opposing teams together a few months of the year?

Posted By: ScarletBear
Date Posted: 09 July 2018 at 2:12pm

Didn't they look at him for the Blues but becuase he lives in Leeds, it is quicker for him to fly to Dublin than drive to Cardiff. Sure I read that somewhere. Llanelli would be even more difficult.

-------------
Scarlets before Wales

Posted By: Mr Ian
Date Posted: 09 July 2018 at 2:20pm
Really Happy for Pivac..the Brigade in Pivac we trust can be really happy..
For the future I would like to try some dance moves with Robertson

Date Posted: 09 July 2018 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by Mr Ian Mr Ian wrote:

Really Happy for Pivac..the Brigade in Pivac we trust can be really happy..
For the future I would like to try some dance moves with Robertson
Agreed, Scott Robertson is my first choice by far. His CV is impressive:
Canterbury Head Coach - ITM Cup Winners 2013, 2015.
New Zealand u20s - World Cup Winners 2015.
Crusaders Head Coach - Super Rugby Champions 2017.

Posted By: PE SA
Date Posted: 09 July 2018 at 2:42pm
Scott Robertson would be everyones first choice i think but if cash is an issue...i wonder if Aaron Mauger will be cheaper.

Date Posted: 09 July 2018 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

Scott Robertson would be everyones first choice i think but if cash is an issue...i wonder if Aaron Mauger will be cheaper.
Agree but I think it may be worth sacrificing picking up a top player for getting a top coach, especially looking at the impact Pivac had. The playing budget is set to go up by about a million apparently, it's worth taking some of that to make a top candidate a really good offer I think.

Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 09 July 2018 at 2:58pm
Huge congrats to Wayne on his appointment.

No doubt in my mind Stephen will follow and maybe Byron too. Both richly deserved promotions if confirmed

The good news is that there won’t be a shortage of top notch candidacy lining up for the Scarlets role, and there’s a good chance for a decent transition.

Posted By: shocker
Date Posted: 09 July 2018 at 2:59pm
Rhymes with clucking bell

Posted By: cymraes
Date Posted: 09 July 2018 at 3:16pm
Congratulations to Wayne, totally deserves it.  Part of me was hoping they'd go for someone else so we could keep him and rant about the unfairness of him being overlooked!

Posted By: Sosban bach
Date Posted: 09 July 2018 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

Didn't they look at him for the Blues but becuase he lives in Leeds, it is quicker for him to fly to Dublin than drive to Cardiff. Sure I read that somewhere. Llanelli would be even more difficult.

Pembrey airport simples

Date Posted: 09 July 2018 at 3:19pm

Scarlets issue statement

Here’s the full statement from Scarlets general manager Jon Daniels...

First and foremost, on behalf of everyone at the Scarlets, I would like to extend our congratulations to Wayne on his appointment. It will be a proud moment for us all when he takes to the helm as Wales Head Coach

“Clearly, finding Wayne’s replacement will be a major priority in the coming months and we are grateful to Wayne and the Welsh Rugby Union for keeping us updated, in an entirely professional and transparent manner, throughout the process.

“Over the last four years Wayne has facilitated the continuation of Scarlets’ development. Being consistently competitive in both the PRO14 and in Europe, has been our aim now for three or four years and will continue to do so.

“We had a one, three and five-year strategy; winning the PRO12 in 2017 was probably a year ahead of where we had forecast to be and that is down to the hard work of the group, of the people involved, to get us to that stage earlier than planned, but that just shows the quality across every department.

“The forthcoming season will be hugely significantly for us all at the Scarlets and ensuring that we build on the momentum and successes from previous seasons will be key. We would also like to be in a position to ensure that Wayne finishes his tenure, here at Parc y Scarlets, with silverware.”

“Having twelve months to find a replacement is something of a luxury in professional sport but as a result we’re now able to follow our detailed recruitment process to ensure we find a Head Coach with ambition and aspiration to continue our rugby performance strategy.

“We are extremely proud of the established environment we have here at the Scarlets and this will not only allow us to continue to be competitive this coming season but we’ll also be in a strong and stable position in readiness to welcome the new Head Coach in twelve months time.

“I know Wayne will agree, we have a strong team here now, of coaches, players and backroom staff. There are a number of people who have contributed to our success under Wayne’s guidance and will continue to contribute and push the region forward this season and after his departure. I am confident we are strong enough to continue to thrive moving forward.”

Posted By: mammamammon
Date Posted: 09 July 2018 at 3:19pm
Great for Pivac but vital that he doesn't take all our coaches with him. At least full time. Succession is needed. It'll do nothing for Wales if the Scarlets go backwards

He can Have Boris Johnson who's looking for a job

-------------
mammamammon

www.hopemalawiuk.com

Posted By: gaffer
Date Posted: 09 July 2018 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

Agree but I think it may be worth sacrificing picking up a top player for getting a top coach, especially looking at the impact Pivac had. The playing budget is set to go up by about a million apparently, it's worth taking some of that to make a top candidate a really good offer I think.

Fully agree with this. Best wishes to Wayne. Let's hope he can improve us even further before he goes.

-------------
What's going on?

Posted By: Mugwuffin
Date Posted: 09 July 2018 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

I doubt he commutes to Dublin from Leeds. I’m fairly sure he’ll have a place over there.

Posted By: scarletnut
Date Posted: 09 July 2018 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Huge congrats to Wayne on his appointment.

No doubt in my mind Stephen will follow and maybe Byron too. Both richly deserved promotions if confirmed

The good news is that there won’t be a shortage of top notch candidacy lining up for the Scarlets role, and there’s a good chance for a decent transition.

I think we will be okay personally

-------------
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1

Posted By: LLANDRE
Date Posted: 09 July 2018 at 4:09pm
Vern Cotter has connections in West Wales.

-------------
West is Best (Fin gwybod)

Posted By: John
Date Posted: 09 July 2018 at 4:18pm
I think Stevo, and for that matter Ioan, have big decisions here. Keep going as assistants at a higher level or move up a postion at the same level. Stevo is definitely worthy of a head coach appointment now and Ioan will be within the four years of the build up to the 2023 WC. Tie themselves to Wayne until 2023 and they may forever be thought of as assistants and not head coaches. I wish everyone involved the best no matter what but I hope Stevo is our next head coach and that Ioan stays as well.   

Posted By: AB2008
Date Posted: 09 July 2018 at 4:29pm
Gutted to see Wayne and probably the back room follow as I feel they wont get the credit they deserve at Wales, so much work to do on and off the field. The NZ model is far clear of that at the WRU and I'm sure Wayne will be keen to change that which will take time. 

In terms of where do we go next, I feel McBryde may end up coming straight in as our head coach, possibly linking with Dwayne as his number 2. I hope thats not the case but I feel its an easy option for the Scarlets, which I hope we don't rush into. We have in the past seasons surely interested coaches from all over the world, let's take the next year as Wales did to search, interview and shortlist before hopefully making the correct decision.

Posted By: aber-fan
Date Posted: 09 July 2018 at 5:18pm
I suppose the good thing about all this is that it allows plenty of time for the succession planning - there is no need to rush into an appointment, and careful consideration can be given to who comes next. To some extent, that will depend on Stevo - will he be going to Wales as well? I hope that decision is also taken fairly quickly, because he'd be the obvious choice for the Scarlets if he's staying.

-------------
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)

Posted By: Dantheman2018
Date Posted: 09 July 2018 at 5:28pm
Just catching up with all this after work. Good for Wales shame for the Scarlets as with the general consensus. Only positive is at least Scarlets have a year to find a suitable replacement. Given the current squad of quality players it will be an attractive post so I’m sure they won’t be short of suitors.

Posted By: cornelius
Date Posted: 09 July 2018 at 6:29pm
Good luck and best wishes to Wayne- deserves the opportunity

I also believe as Wayne himself said, there is a shelf life for most coaches at most teams.

I don’t think it would be wise for Wayne or the Scarlets if the whole coaching staff was to follow!
I expect Wayne will be given a free reign to pick his assistants - As should the new Scarlet boss!!!

This I believe is where the a available 12 months is going to be vital - I’m sure the board understands this and will speak to Wayne and all the other coaches at PyS before appointing the best available person with the ability and drive to build on and improve the great structure/culture/style we now have out West!!

-------------
Y Gorllewin Pell

Posted By: Sandman
Date Posted: 09 July 2018 at 7:05pm
Hopefully, and I doubt this very highly, Pivac fills his back room staff with non Scarlets and Steve stays put and takes the head job at PYS. I think I’ll be disappointed though. As many have mentioned previously though, we should now be inundated with top level coaches wishing to ply their trade with us.

-------------
Only one team plays in red. (Sorry, Scarlet)

Posted By: henry_winkler
Date Posted: 09 July 2018 at 7:27pm
What I'm hearing is they feel Mark Jones has gone away and done some coaching and earned the right to throw his hat in for the Scarlets top job. The view being Mark as no.1 with Dwayne Peel as his assistant.

Posted By: judith
Date Posted: 09 July 2018 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by henry_winkler henry_winkler wrote:

What I'm hearing is they feel Mark Jones has gone away and done some coaching and earned the right to throw his hat in for the Scarlets top job. The view being Mark as no.1 with Dwayne Peel as his assistant.

No and no. RGC is his level. I'm not convinced by Peel either.

Posted By: ChrisX
Date Posted: 09 July 2018 at 8:27pm
I think Scott Robertson's Crusaders Contract is up after 2019 Super 15.

Could be good timing?

Aaron Mauger another good option. Tony Brown?

Date Posted: 09 July 2018 at 8:42pm
Personally I’m ready to go all in on Scott Robertson if Steveo leaves.

Posted By: ladram
Date Posted: 09 July 2018 at 9:15pm

would you consider the coach of say llandoverey/bedwas/Aberavon or the like as head coach of the scarlets?yet that is what is being suggested with mark jones simply because he used to play for us,i would like to think that given the last 2 seasons we would be aiming a tad higher than the welsh premiership.

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 09 July 2018 at 9:42pm
Whoever comes in it has to be someone who is au fait and on board with the Scarlet philosophy of Rugby Football, just as Wayne Pivac is. That for me was the makings of our successful relationship with the man. We are fortunate that the board has shown great values for a number of years now. I'm looking forward to seeing who they bring in next. I think they deserve a bit of faith to be fair.

Posted By: Mugwuffin
Date Posted: 09 July 2018 at 9:46pm
I doubt we’ll be able to tempt any of the Kiwi Super Rugby head coaches. We have a small player budget compared to most of the other pro teams in Europe, and probably don’t pay our coaches top dollar either. The top Kiwi coaches will have their eyes on succeeding Steve Hansen after the RWC too.

I think we’ll have to shop in the next tier down, just as we did when we signed Pivac. It might be worth sounding out some of the Kiwis coaching in Japan, such as Robbie Deans and Rob Penney also.

Date Posted: 09 July 2018 at 9:57pm

Nice bit of baiting there

-------------
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1

Posted By: John
Date Posted: 09 July 2018 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by totallybiasedscarlet totallybiasedscarlet wrote:

Whoever comes in it has to be someone who is au fait and on board with the Scarlet philosophy of Rugby Football, just as Wayne Pivac is. That for me was the makings of our successful relationship with the man. We are fortunate that the board has shown great values for a number of years now. I'm looking forward to seeing who they bring in next. I think they deserve a bit of faith to be fair.

Quite so.

Posted By: Wasp
Date Posted: 09 July 2018 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by Mugwuffin Mugwuffin wrote:

I doubt we’ll be able to tempt any of the Kiwi Super Rugby head coaches. We have a small player budget compared to most of the other pro teams in Europe, and probably don’t pay our coaches top dollar either. The top Kiwi coaches will have their eyes on succeeding Steve Hansen after the RWC too.

I think we’ll have to shop in the next tier down, just as we did when we signed Pivac. It might be worth sounding out some of the Kiwis coaching in Japan, such as Robbie Deans and Rob Penney also.

I think we’ll be offering a competitive deal and be a decent draw for someone talented. I don’t think we need a Vern Cotter type. I’m not sure what we do need in terms of rugby experience, but someone who knows the importance of a high performance culture is essential.

-------------
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh

Posted By: EJPT
Date Posted: 09 July 2018 at 10:22pm
I think Dai Young would be a good fit for us as head coach. I feel his time at wasps is coming to an end, he was looked at for the Wales job and coming back to wales at the end of next year on a 3-year deal with us could set him up for the wales job. Unless Pivac gets us our second world cup in a row after gatland takes japan by storm.

Posted By: PritchyTheScarlet
Date Posted: 09 July 2018 at 10:26pm
The thing is that we're now a much more attractive proposition compared to when Wayne arrived. What we can't offer money wise can be offered project-wise: an exciting group of players who have the ability to win things. Not many coaches would turn their heads away at that.

-------------
“Gareth Edwards just ran 30 yards and got a Knighthood, I sidestepped five players and got arthritis in both knees.” - Benny

Date Posted: 09 July 2018 at 11:06pm
Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

I think Dai Young would be a good fit for us as head coach. I feel his time at wasps is coming to an end, he was looked at for the Wales job and coming back to wales at the end of next year on a 3-year deal with us could set him up for the wales job. Unless Pivac gets us our second world cup in a row after gatland takes japan by storm.
Dai has 4 years left on his Wasps contract

-------------

Posted By: ScarletBear
Date Posted: 10 July 2018 at 12:55am
Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

I was thinking the same. Dai Young is the only Welsh candidate I would consider. He would quite possibly bring his boy with him too. Though I would still prefer a kiwi.

-------------
Scarlets before Wales

Posted By: gwentred
Date Posted: 10 July 2018 at 3:54am
Dont think dai young would be a sucsess. Was only mediocre at blues and wasps until wellies got on board with coaching. Now wellies has left they are back to meh!
Was thinking maybe ex AB Reuben Thorne. Lots of experience of the top level. Currently forwards coach at crusaders. If he has top ambitions will need to develop his cv internationally. Will have a host of player contacts. Poss put him with say mark jones? Thorne relatively young and hungry

-------------
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Posted By: ladram
Date Posted: 10 July 2018 at 5:36am
Originally posted by gwentred gwentred wrote:

Dont think dai young would be a sucsess. Was only mediocre at blues and wasps until wellies got on board with coaching. Now wellies has left they are back to meh!
Was thinking maybe ex AB Reuben Thorne. Lots of experience of the top level. Currently forwards coach at crusaders. If he has top ambitions will need to develop his cv internationally. Will have a host of player contacts. Poss put him with say mark jones? Thorne relatively young and hungry
why?all we did was kick the ball away when he was last with us.Angry

Posted By: Dafen Boy
Date Posted: 10 July 2018 at 5:42am

April 1 was 3 months ago?WinkSmile

Date Posted: 10 July 2018 at 7:00am
Wales online have put together ‘a list’ of potential candidates...

Stephen Jones
Simon Easterby
Phil Davies
Tana Umaga
Stuart Lancaster
Shaun Edwards
Dwayne Peel
Filo Tiatia
Ronan O’Gara

Posted By: dantheman
Date Posted: 10 July 2018 at 7:42am
Big shame for the Scarlets but inevitable I guess.

As for replacements, wouldn't surprise me to see Paul Feeney pretty high up the list. Replaced Pivac as Head Coach of Auckland, now currently backs coach at the Stormers. Reputation for attacking rugby and Pivac will know him well.

Posted By: Exkixu
Date Posted: 10 July 2018 at 8:59am
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Stephen Jones
Simon Easterby
Phil Davies
Tana Umaga
Stuart Lancaster
Shaun Edwards
Dwayne Peel
Filo Tiatia
Ronan O’Gara

Stevo maybe though it might be a bit too early, Lancaster possibly.
Shaun Edwards is no head coach material.
Umaga has done nothing but coach the worst Blues side in ages, Peel, Tiatia and O'Gara have no experience whatsoever for the job and finally Phil Davies... I mean really?

-------------
1 Xavier Rush   2 Rhys Priestland   3 David Lyons   Cardiff Blues - Scarlets, 26/09/09      

More carries than any of our forwards. Priestland Fan Club Proud Member

Date Posted: 10 July 2018 at 9:27am
If Stevo goes then I would love to see Lancaster with O'Gara as attack coach. O'Gara is going to be one of the top coaches in the future and has shown himself to be willing to get out of his comfort zone. I appreciate that Lancaster ruled himself out of the Ospreys job due to his family ties with Leeds but we are now talking about head coach of one of the top teams in Europe!!!!!

Posted By: LacksDrive
Date Posted: 10 July 2018 at 10:56am
Hi guys new member here... not specifically a Scarlets fan (more a Wales fan who follows all four regions religiously) but have been continuously gob smacked by the Scarlets, over the last two seasons in particular.

As frustrating as it is to finally feel like you have the perfect coach only to have him snatched away by your National Union, I cant help but feel it really could have been worse. If the WRU had looked elsewhere, you would have to assume a club with more financial clout would have come in for Wayne during the coming season. At least this way the Scarlets have time to prepare.

As for possible replacements (& assuming Stephen Jones goes with him... if not he’s a shoe-in), this is exciting times for the region and I reckon that a lot of established coaches could be purring at the opportunity regardless of the financial constraints (when compared to French, English and even Irish sides). I personally think that if Stuart Lancaster can be tempted (no easy task) that it would be a real solid appointment. Dai Young always brings a solidity but I don’t think that is necessarily what the Scarlets are after right now (though he would probably bring his boy). Think Kieran Crowley at Benetton is a good coach that no one is talking about (& with good experience of the league)...

But my favourite option would be to go get Mike Ruddock. Well aware of his past with Swansea (as well as the dressing room revolt with Wales) but he’s a fine coach. A fine Welsh Coach, something that is very rare and with the current situation in regards to all four regions having imports at Head Coach... it would be nice to bring him back.

I would be interested to hear what some Scalets fans first (Wales fans second) think of Ruddock as an option?

Posted By: Sosban bach
Date Posted: 10 July 2018 at 11:21am
O gara as attack coach? So kick as kick some more with getting some bulldozing forwards? That wol list is poo, would only be happy with stevo or Lancaster from it. Pivac I honestly believe would have gone after this season anyway so we won't be missing out here and 100% wouldn't have left early for money. Best coach we've had and managed to turn it all around legend. #pivacout!

Date Posted: 10 July 2018 at 11:21am
Originally posted by LacksDrive LacksDrive wrote:

Hi guys new member here... not specifically a Scarlets fan (more a Wales fan who follows all four regions religiously) but have been continuously gob smacked by the Scarlets, over the last two seasons in particular.

As frustrating as it is to finally feel like you have the perfect coach only to have him snatched away by your National Union, I cant help but feel it really could have been worse. If the WRU had looked elsewhere, you would have to assume a club with more financial clout would have come in for Wayne during the coming season. At least this way the Scarlets have time to prepare.

As for possible replacements (& assuming Stephen Jones goes with him... if not he’s a shoe-in), this is exciting times for the region and I reckon that a lot of established coaches could be purring at the opportunity regardless of the financial constraints (when compared to French, English and even Irish sides). I personally think that if Stuart Lancaster can be tempted (no easy task) that it would be a real solid appointment. Dai Young always brings a solidity but I don’t think that is necessarily what the Scarlets are after right now (though he would probably bring his boy). Think Kieran Crowley at Benetton is a good coach that no one is talking about (& with good experience of the league)...

But my favourite option would be to go get Mike Ruddock. Well aware of his past with Swansea (as well as the dressing room revolt with Wales) but he’s a fine coach. A fine Welsh Coach, something that is very rare and with the current situation in regards to all four regions having imports at Head Coach... it would be nice to bring him back.

I would be interested to hear what some Scalets fans first (Wales fans second) think of Ruddock as an option?
Personally I think Ruddock has been out of top level coaching for too long

-------------

Date Posted: 10 July 2018 at 11:38am
Fair comment, regardless of level though he had as successful a season as has ever been achieved in Ireland last year.

There are going to be some interesting rumours about this post over the next year, just hope that the right guy is selected to carry on the development. The Scarlets have simply played some of the best rugby I have ever seen of late (particularly the Ospreys, Leinster & Munster games at the tail end of 2017), the wrong option could do so much damage... relatively speaking.

Posted By: CochynAberllefenni
Date Posted: 10 July 2018 at 12:58pm
Weeks ago when it was first reported that Pivac had held informal talks with the WRU he said that there had been succession planning in regards to who would take over from him.  I'm going to assume that it is done through Pivac wanting someone to continue his good work and what the board can offer the new candidate.  Will the WRU be able to throw its influence in or will they allow us to make our own choice?!

-------------
Cofiwch mae West Is Best

Posted By: BigRed
Date Posted: 10 July 2018 at 1:43pm
No matter the coaching credentials, the new coach has to be a good man manager. That's what has made the real difference to the Scarlets, the attitude and culture that Pivac has nurtured. He's been a breath of fresh air in that respect. 

Posted By: Dafen Boy
Date Posted: 10 July 2018 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Stephen Jones
Simon Easterby
Phil Davies
Tana Umaga
Stuart Lancaster
Shaun Edwards
Dwayne Peel
Filo Tiatia
Ronan O’Gara

Does anyone get paid for writing this level of journalism?

Posted By: Tim Opolis
Date Posted: 10 July 2018 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by dantheman dantheman wrote:

Big shame for the Scarlets but inevitable I guess.

As for replacements, wouldn't surprise me to see Paul Feeney pretty high up the list. Replaced Pivac as Head Coach of Auckland, now currently backs coach at the Stormers. Reputation for attacking rugby and Pivac will know him well.

The most feasible suggestion ive seen so far in this thread. You're right, he arranged to train against the Stormers on tour last season, or at least that was his plan as he said he knew a coach there. If Feeney is keen on a move north then he certainly would have had the nod early. Sort out your former club and a mate in one fell swoop. Don't know how good he is mind, but as a theory its sound.

-------------
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.

Date Posted: 10 July 2018 at 2:10pm
Sounds logical... just read up on Feeney a bit and Pivac does seem to like and respect the guy a great deal. There is of course the possibility that he could make up part of Wayne’s future Wales back room staff also.

Posted By: dyniol53
Date Posted: 10 July 2018 at 2:10pm
Eddie Jones will need a job around summer 2019 I imagine ...

-------------
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en

Posted By: diego6754
Date Posted: 10 July 2018 at 2:14pm
I just think we have to throw everything at Stevo to get him to stay, put a career plan in for him where he is contracted up until the next world cup, with the view of him then taking over from Pivac at Wales. At the end of the day it will be whether or not Steve see's himself as a specialist attack coach or a head coach. If he see's himself as a head coach then surely this is a bit of a dream ticket for him to build his name as a successful head coach. If he see's himself as an attack coach the Wales job with Pivac will be the dream ticket.

Up until Stevo decides what he wants to do i don't think its worth speculating.

Date Posted: 10 July 2018 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by CochynAberllefenni CochynAberllefenni wrote:

Weeks ago when it was first reported that Pivac had held informal talks with the WRU he said that there had been succession planning in regards to who would take over from him.  I'm going to assume that it is done through Pivac wanting someone to continue his good work and what the board can offer the new candidate.  Will the WRU be able to throw its influence in or will they allow us to make our own choice?!

Scarlets management will have been working on succession and recruitment plans already for months. Don't forget, Pivac is the manifestation of the Scarlets board in coach form, and undoubtedly he will be involved helping to identify and contact potential successors around the rugby world, using the same network that he used so effectively in finding superb playing talent for the squad.

But it will be Jon Daniels's job to land the next coaching team from July 2019, with 12 months to manage identify the right person and the luxury of a long transition with Pivac (& Co).

Important to recognise the role the WRU will play in this too - as well as potential contractual compensation (Wayne & Stephen are contracted to Scarlets till July 2020), Nigel Short will have bought lots of goodwill with the WRU, who can use their global reach & muscle to scout for replacements. It's great to see the union & pro teams working hand in glove, especially after the years of 'WRU v Welsh Rugby' warfare. Clap

It would be great to think that Stephen Jones would want to step up as Scarlets head coach to provide the perfect continuity and succession, but some of what was said in the interviews with Wayne and Jon after the presser makes me think that Stevo will be moving on to be Pivac's right-hand man in the WRU set-up. We really couldn't ask for a better situation to find a replacement, though.

Date Posted: 10 July 2018 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

Eddie could be available by this Christmas... Shocked

Date Posted: 10 July 2018 at 2:41pm
Why does it matter if the new coach is Welsh?
We need the best man available.

Posted By: diego6754
Date Posted: 10 July 2018 at 3:07pm

I'd honestly prefer it if we go to the Southern Hemisphere, to be more specific New Zealand again. They seem in tune with our ethos and how we play the game. Heaven sake a lot of what they do now is still based on our great Carwyn James. We tried the welsh root and jobs for the boys, it didn't work really and there are no stand out candidates in Wales, bar Stevo of course!!

People mentioning Mark Jones, Peel etc etc. Loved them as players, they do not have the credentials to coach us though. We are in a different league to where they are in their coaching careers. Any coach who comes to us needs to have demonstrated success on their CV. We are Pro14 runners up, Pro12 winners and European cup semi finalists we are not league also ran's and European group stage strugglers anymore, but the appointment of a coach without the relevant respect, ability and man management skills could yet see us return to those days!

Posted By: Mrfwon
Date Posted: 10 July 2018 at 3:26pm
Huge congratulation to Wayne for sure, and I wish him all the very best when he takes over from Warren. ClapClapClapClap Pretty much everyone saw this coming with the success that Wayne has brought to the region and Warren stepping down after the World Cup, but with us having time to prepare for post Wayne, I'd like to think that we're now in a position to find the right fit for the role.

If we want to continue improving and fighting for silverware moving forwards, we need an experienced coach that can pick up from when Wayne leaves. It'll be a tough job for anyone coming in to fill Wayne's boots, but I'm confident that we can find the right candidate, and I hope that Wayne is involved in the recruitment process, and is involved in the hand-over process too. ClapClapClapClap 

-------------
Scarlets!!!

Date Posted: 10 July 2018 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by diego6754 diego6754 wrote:

I'd honestly prefer it if we go to the Southern Hemisphere, to be more specific New Zealand again. They seem in tune with our ethos and how we play the game. Heaven sake a lot of what they do now is still based on our great Carwyn James. We tried the welsh root and jobs for the boys, it didn't work really and there are no stand out candidates in Wales, bar Stevo of course!!

People mentioning Mark Jones, Peel etc etc. Loved them as players, they do not have the credentials to coach us though. We are in a different league to where they are in their coaching careers. Any coach who comes to us needs to have demonstrated success on their CV. We are Pro14 runners up, Pro12 winners and European cup semi finalists we are not league also ran's and European group stage strugglers anymore, but the appointment of a coach without the relevant respect, ability and man management skills could yet see us return to those days!
Good post I feel exactly the same.

Posted By: Mrfwon
Date Posted: 10 July 2018 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by NobbySosban NobbySosban wrote:

Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

Eddie could be available by this Christmas... Shocked

Eddie has crossed my mind as well to be honest.

-------------
Scarlets!!!

Posted By: dyniol53
Date Posted: 10 July 2018 at 3:58pm
Eddie will be off to France or possibly someone like the USA team post-England, £€$!!

The other one who crossed my mind was Ben Ryan.

Just finished his book Sevens Heaven, wonderful story.

I don’t think he’s that keen on becoming a 15s coach just yet but he’s got the right philosophy and management ability.

-------------
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en

Date Posted: 10 July 2018 at 4:06pm
Aaron Mauger is someone worth looking at as is Tony Brown. Feeney is also a good shout

-------------

Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 10 July 2018 at 4:41pm
Wayne has truly immersed himself in Welsh culture, especially the Region's, and with the insight of the board then shrewdly brought in Stephen and the coaching team as ex Llanelli men to be all around him. He lives here and all this helped him learn. The new coach next year ,if not a local or Welshman, is going to find it challenging 'to fit in' especially if eg commuting home to family in Bristol or Newcastle or wherever.. (just examples by the way!). Wayne is going to be a hard act to follow as he got it all pretty well right coming from outside Wales to Llanelli. Goodness knows who the successor will be. Exciting times though. 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net