Scarlets team vs. Benetton Rugby (h)

Printed From: Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets
Category: RUGBY
Forum Name: SCARLETS GENERAL
Forum Description: Team News, Season Tickets, Next Match
URL: https://scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=44756
Printed Date: 28 March 2024 at 7:24pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Scarlets team vs. Benetton Rugby (h)
Posted By: Fscarlet
Subject: Scarlets team vs. Benetton Rugby (h)
Date Posted: 14 September 2018 at 12:00pm
Scarlets Benetton Rugby
15. Leigh Halfpenny  15. Luca Sperandio 
14. Tom Prydie  14. Ratuva Tavuyara 
13. Kieron Fonotia  13. Marco Zanon 
12. Hadleigh Parkes  12. Luca Morisi 
11. Johnny McNicholl  11. Monty Ioane 
10. Dan Jones  10. Tommaso Allan 
9. Gareth Davies  9. Dewaldt Duvenage 
1. Phil Price  1. Robert Barbieri (capt) 
2. Ken Owens (capt) 2. Abraham Steyn 
3. Samson Lee  3. Marco Lazzaroni 
4. Jake Ball  4. Marco Fuser 
5. Steve Cummins  5. Irné Herbst 
6. Ed Kennedy  6. Simone Ferrari 
7. James Davies  7. Hame Faiva 
8. Blade Thomson 8. Nicola Quaglio
Replacements    
16. Ryan Elias  16. Engjel Makelara 
17. Wyn Jones  17. Cherif Traore 
18. Werner Kruger  18. Tiziano Pasquali 
19. David Bulbring  19. Alessandro Zanni 
20. Dan Davis  20. Marco Barbini 
21. Sam Hidalgo-Clyne  21. Giorgio Bronzini 
22. Paul Asquith  22. Antonio Rizzi 
23. Ioan Nicholas 23. Alberto Sgarbi

Scarlets vs Benetton Rugby - Saturday 14th September KO 17:15 - Live on Premier Sport & S4C

Referee: Lloyd Linton (SRU)

Assistant Referees: Mike Adamson (SRU), Simon Mills (WRU)

TMO: John Mason (WRU)

Replies:
Posted By: Owen111
Date Posted: 14 September 2018 at 12:07pm
Strong team - STRONG bench, Welcome back Wyn!

Excited to see Blade play at 8 as he started there most times for the Harry Kanes this season 

Posted By: Fscarlet
Date Posted: 14 September 2018 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by Owen111 Owen111 wrote:

Strong team - STRONG bench, Welcome back Wyn!

Excited to see Blade play at 8 as he started there most times for the Harry Kanes this season 

Indeed & welcome back Paul Asquith too!!

Posted By: minded
Date Posted: 14 September 2018 at 12:15pm
Our old friend Lloyd Linton is back, not a Shingler in sight this time so hopefully all goes smoothly...

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPnAh1r0V9YMx4LjUAXI1AUts5jgBck9u" rel="nofollow - Scarlets Tries of the Season 2009 - 2022

Posted By: Maple
Date Posted: 14 September 2018 at 12:26pm
bloody hell, not Linton !!!

-------------
Give Blood, Play Rugby

Posted By: Mr Ian
Date Posted: 14 September 2018 at 12:27pm
Wow..really strong team for us! Like it and want the 5 pts! They are in a good form period but from now have 3 matches awaty and have to manage the energy..good scrum looked against Blues and Monty Ioane is a terrific wing with high confidence with the tries. But Their centres pair are a little bit lights for compete against Parkes and Fonotia and there we have to play our match...little bit surprised Clayton out again
Come on Scarlets, let s go to win!

Posted By: NeylandAllBlack
Date Posted: 14 September 2018 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by Maple Maple wrote:

bloody hell, not Linton !!!

Careful now, you'll get postcode in a tizzy.

Posted By: Wasp
Date Posted: 14 September 2018 at 12:46pm
BP win please. Time to knock these upstarts off the top!

-------------
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh

Posted By: Sandman
Date Posted: 14 September 2018 at 1:30pm
Must keep Ioane in check. Quality winger who scored practically every game. Could be the difference between winning and loosing.

-------------
Only one team plays in red. (Sorry, Scarlet)

Posted By: PritchyTheScarlet
Date Posted: 14 September 2018 at 1:33pm
Approach this game in the same manner as we did last week and we'll be fine. Good to see Wyn back in the squad, looking forward to seeing Kennedy get a start and how Blade goes at 8.

-------------
“Gareth Edwards just ran 30 yards and got a Knighthood, I sidestepped five players and got arthritis in both knees.” - Benny

Posted By: aber-fan
Date Posted: 14 September 2018 at 1:34pm
Good to see Wyn Jones, Asquith and Bulbring on the bench... Phil Price definitely deserves a start after last week, and in any case should be more match fit than Wyn. Benetton have gone well this season so far, and are top of our conference, so must not be under-estimated. Good tips from Mr Ian re. their midfield - I don't know their players well, though Allen is a skilful 10, no question.

I hope Patch will be in the frame for next week, and that Dan is completely over his knocks.

I also meant to say that, curiously, back row is an area where we seem a bit short ATM, with all the injuries - not an expected situation.

-------------
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)

Posted By: EJPT
Date Posted: 14 September 2018 at 2:31pm
Kennedy is a fierce tackler, yeah he almost got sent off against Ulster. But i think a team with him and Rawlins in during the autumn internationals gives us great linespeed.
Concerned about Johnny, is he fit? can he last the full game? Can we get the ball to our wingers? We looked so narrow against Leinster. I do not think it will be as easy a match as some on here think.

Posted By: surfing-mtber
Date Posted: 14 September 2018 at 3:09pm
Watched Benetton v Blues with interest.  They (Benetton) are very good in open play and like to use the chip kick to get behind the rush defence, best not to kick aimlessly to the back three.

Blues scrum went well for 60 mins until Arhip went off, he had thier loosehead on toast and won a penalty try.  Tables turned when both front rows were changed and it was the Blues in reverse gear.  Confident that our bench is much stronger than the Blues and we can keep them under pressure.

They were very combative in the lineout and stole quite a lot of the Blues ball.  At the breakdown, they sail pretty close the wind and need penalising early on. Ken to get in the ref's ear.

Their passing is suspect when under pressure, but they are not afraid to vary the attack with a bit of pick-and-go, attacking the fringes.

Tomasso Allen's place kicking is not that great, although his kick to win the match was excellent (when they should have had a penalty try anyway).

We must retain the ball and keep them under pressure, their discipline is suspect.  Blues made fundamental errors when Benetton were a man down due to yellow.  Kicked two succesful penalties when they could have gone for lineouts on the 5m line, with Benetton a man down in the pack!

Not an easy match, but if we keep our discipline, I can see a comfortable win.  Dan must control the game and keep them pinned in their own half.

-------------
Joshua24:15

Posted By: Sandman
Date Posted: 14 September 2018 at 4:16pm
Where’s Clayton? Expected him to start this game instead of Halfers. Is he injured, rested, out of favour? Anyone got any info?

-------------
Only one team plays in red. (Sorry, Scarlet)

Posted By: N14
Date Posted: 14 September 2018 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by Sandman Sandman wrote:

Where’s Clayton? Expected him to start this game instead of Halfers. Is he injured, rested, out of favour? Anyone got any info?

I expected him to be on the bench, but it just shows the competition for places we have at the moment.

Posted By: GPR - Rochester
Date Posted: 14 September 2018 at 5:21pm
I would have thought that a fit Clayton would have got on the bench ahead of Ioan regardless of the competition. 

Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 14 September 2018 at 5:55pm
That’s a weaker team from last week by Benetton. 8 changes in the starting XV.

Posted By: M.M.
Date Posted: 14 September 2018 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

I saw that there were, at least, 6 changes from the team that beat Cardiff Blues last week. It's 8 then. 

We do not want to underestimate this Benetton team. It really does not suit us.

Let's just get the win tomorrow. 

Posted By: OBC
Date Posted: 14 September 2018 at 9:04pm
They’re a physical well drilled unit. Not sure of their strength in depth. Maybe gambling with a weaker team (for a game they may not expect to win) in a bid to keep first choice key players fresh for home games.

Posted By: Ffidel Bennett
Date Posted: 14 September 2018 at 9:41pm
It seems a fairly general strategy now- teams bank on their best sides for the home matches, and hope for a couple of away wins against perceived weaker sides. If it works it may well get you to the play-offs, depending on who you are down to play during the international periods. the strength of your squad and luck with injuries. Hopefully our squad will be strong enough to challenge in most away matches. 

Posted By: Dafen Boy
Date Posted: 15 September 2018 at 2:00am
5 points tomorrow and 4 next week will get us back on track..

Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 15 September 2018 at 6:17am
Originally posted by M.M. M.M. wrote:

Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

I saw that there were, at least, 6 changes from the team that beat Cardiff Blues last week. It's 8 then. 

We do not want to underestimate this Benetton team. It really does not suit us.

Let's just get the win tomorrow. 

I can see a few teams looking at the Scarlets away fixture and thinking... ‘ might be a fixture to give the broader squad a run out’...

Quite delicious how far we’ve come in 3 years....there was a time we were a game to target bois bach.

Posted By: ScarletBear
Date Posted: 15 September 2018 at 6:25am
Originally posted by minded minded wrote:

Our old friend Lloyd Linton is back, not a Shingler in sight this time so hopefully all goes smoothly...

Beat me to it

-------------
Scarlets before Wales

Posted By: spinner
Date Posted: 15 September 2018 at 10:06am
Benetton doing an Ospreys.

Posted By: aber-fan
Date Posted: 15 September 2018 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

It seems a fairly general strategy now- teams bank on their best sides for the home matches, and hope for a couple of away wins against perceived weaker sides. If it works it may well get you to the play-offs, depending on who you are down to play during the international periods. the strength of your squad and luck with injuries. Hopefully our squad will be strong enough to challenge in most away matches. 

I think that's a good summary of the way teams are looking at their fixtures - the O's capitulation to Munster yesterday was a good example. Scarlets are so strong ATM that we should be looking to win every game, home or away, unless the injury problems get even worse - we seem to be coping just now despite so many top players being unavailable.

-------------
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)

Posted By: Havard Fan
Date Posted: 15 September 2018 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

I think that's a good summary of the way teams are looking at their fixtures - the O's capitulation to Munster yesterday was a good example. Scarlets are so strong ATM that we should be looking to win every game, home or away, unless the injury problems get even worse - we seem to be coping just now despite so many top players being unavailable.

We pretty much did the same last season against Edingburgh away and got smashed, so I don't think we have the same depth as Leinster yet, but agree we are stronger than last year. Difference is We have put our strongest available team out for three weekends on the trot now, where the O's decided to rest. It will be interesting to see what happens on the 6th of October against then and for the rest of the season. We will probably rest a few next week against connauggt away and kings at home, the look to build up to Europe.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net