Forum Description: Other rugby chat
URL: http://www.scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=44910
Printed Date: 19 November 2018 at 3:14am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Wales v Australia Thread
Posted By: Fscarlet
Subject: Wales v Australia Thread
Date Posted: 08 November 2018 at 11:39am

Wales: Leigh Halfpenny; George North, Jonathan Davies, Hadleigh Parkes, Josh Adams; Gareth Anscombe, Gareth Davies; Nicky Smith, Ken Owens, Tomas Francis; Adam Beard, Alun Wyn Jones (C); Dan Lydiate, Justin Tipuric, Ross Moriarty.

Subs: Elliot Dee, Rob Evans, Dillon Lewis, Cory Hill, Ellis Jenkins, Tomos Williams, Dan Biggar, Liam Williams.

Australia: Dane Haylett-Petty; Israel Folau, Samu Kerevi, Kurtley Beale, Sefa Naivalu; Bernard Foley, Will Genia; Scott Sio, Tolu Latu, Allan Alaalatoa; Izack Rodda, Adam Coleman; Jack Dempsey, Michael Hooper, David Pocock.

Subs: Tatafu-Polota-Nau, Sekope Kepu, Taniela Tupou, Rob Simmons, Ned Hanigan, Nick Phipps, Matt To’omua, Jack Maddocks.

Replies:
Posted By: dr_martinov
Date Posted: 08 November 2018 at 2:12pm
I said it in the other thread but Wales really should be looking to win this one.

Bookies have it more or less even with Wales maybe very slight favourites.

Posted By: Grammar School Boy
Date Posted: 08 November 2018 at 2:21pm
We will kick it to them for 60 minutes and they will score and we will keep doing it..

Date Posted: 08 November 2018 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by Grammar School Boy Grammar School Boy wrote:

We will kick it to them for 60 minutes and they will score and we will keep doing it..

One thing I would not do via this Australian side is make it a loose, open game.

Posted By: philturk
Date Posted: 08 November 2018 at 6:58pm
Strange front row selection, Lewis has played well, I don’t understand the thought process behind Francis or Smith! Cory Hill hasn’t done much wrong, so Beard seems an odd choice. Sanjay has been on fire, big test for Adams

Australia by 20 points for me

Posted By: Mogwen
Date Posted: 08 November 2018 at 7:12pm
Tipuric needs to up his game at the breakdown and concentrate less at being an extra back. This game will be won at the breakdown and set plays. Ken needs to be onfire. Austrailia by 10.

-------------
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Posted By: totallybiasedscarlet
Date Posted: 08 November 2018 at 7:37pm
I fully expect Wales to spend about 70 min defending, miraculously finish within 10 points and Gatland to put a positive spin on it.

I'd love to be wrong.

-------------
"If it's on, we back our skills and our confidence ... We've got some great players, play a good brand and we enjoy doing it." Ken Owens

Posted By: scarletnut
Date Posted: 08 November 2018 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by Mogwen Mogwen wrote:

Tipuric needs to up his game at the breakdown and concentrate less at being an extra back. This game will be won at the breakdown and set plays. Ken needs to be onfire. Austrailia by 10.
Agree 100%

-------------
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1

Posted By: surfing-mtber
Date Posted: 08 November 2018 at 8:06pm
If Anscombe slices as many kicks from hand as he did against Scotland, Aus by 20, if not, Aus by 10 (sadly)

-------------
Joshua24:15

Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 09 November 2018 at 7:35am
These SH sides are battle hardened. That Aus back 5 in the pack is a handful.

Hard to see a Wales win tbh. Hope I'm wrong of course.

Posted By: greypower1
Date Posted: 09 November 2018 at 8:44am
Got to favourites for a win, we are number3 in the world after all.😋 😂😂

-------------
Keep the faith

Posted By: Fscarlet
Date Posted: 09 November 2018 at 9:15am
They're not in the greatest form really & we are on a bit of a roll in terms of wins... I fancy us by 4 points.

Posted By: scarletnut
Date Posted: 09 November 2018 at 9:57am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Agree and to be brutally honest I think man for man they are better than us on the whole

-------------
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1

Posted By: Mrfwon
Date Posted: 09 November 2018 at 10:12am
We just need to keep playing until that final whistle, whether it's 80 mins or 88 mins. The amount of times we've lost to Australia with seconds to spare is so frustrating.

-------------
Guinness Pro 12 Champions 2017...get in!

Posted By: GPR - Rochester
Date Posted: 09 November 2018 at 10:20am
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Agree and to be brutally honest I think man for man they are better than us on the whole

I can't fault the logic of either of you in all honesty but I think we will win which surprises me. Momentum & confidence are key elements in sport : Wales have it 6 wins on the trot, Australia don't. I certainly wouldn't put money on it but I just have that feeling.

Posted By: swm
Date Posted: 10 November 2018 at 8:50am
Good luck to all scarlets player's playing for Wales today Wales by 5 foxy man of the match

-------------
steve and ang

Posted By: roy munster
Date Posted: 10 November 2018 at 10:01am
need to start with a bang and attack them from the off....Play whats in front of us, no premeditated stuff and certainly limit the aimless kicking, try to kick cleverly and accurately. And please lets not go to sleep at restarts either. we have enough firepower to do some damage.

-------------
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)

Posted By: Rich (Bris)
Date Posted: 10 November 2018 at 10:36am
I think our best team, once a few games behind them to gel and get with international pace, would beat the Aussies - BUT they will now be very nicely gelled due to the Rugby Championship whereas we are rusty for most of the autumn normally and we are probably rightly experimenting with a few people rather than playing the best available team.

Date Posted: 10 November 2018 at 11:32am
They're clearly our bogey team and it's become psychological, I think as this thread shows. England have consistently beaten the same Australian sides at the same time of the year when we have also been beating England regularly in the 6N (at home, the odd win at Twickers). I just see excuses being made in honesty when we simply need to have our best players - some of which are bloody good - play well and adopt tactics and selection that favour us and not them. Australia didn't have a particularly good Championship and if the argument being made is we are slow starters, haven't gelled because the AIs are always "too early" for us then boo hoo; this should have been dealt with years ago then because we're talking 10 years of failing to beat them now and I do not buy that they have always been better man-for-man.

And yes, I'm sick of losing to Australia.

Posted By: Why
Date Posted: 10 November 2018 at 11:50am
I am afraid can only see the losing run going on they will be too strong in the front and back rows of the Scrum. Cannot understand the selection of Smith, Francis or Lydiate. If you pick Lydiate you need someone who can Jackal we don't have anyone in team who can. Dillon Lewis for prop is very good in rucks as is Rob. Tuperic for all his qualities is not a jackler and was hammered off the ball at the rucks by the Aussie back row last year.

-------------
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.

Posted By: Ffidel Bennett
Date Posted: 10 November 2018 at 1:11pm
The Welsh selection appears to me to have a contradiction. With the selection of Lydiate, it looks as if Gatland intends to play a tight game because if he wanted a more equal competition with Pocock and Hooper at the breakdown, he would surely have picked Elis Jenkins instead. On the other hand he has chosen Anscombe ahead of Biggar who would have given more controlled kicking for a tighter game and a better chance to attack the corners.

Date Posted: 10 November 2018 at 1:56pm
Big game for Anscombe to show control in. You can bet Oz will be looking for an intercept. If he does well then I think could be looking at being starting 10 in the 6N. 

Date Posted: 10 November 2018 at 5:49pm
Good scrum. Most positive aspect so far. Good covering tackle from Anscome earlier. Other than that some aimless kicking and blunt attack so far.

-------------
"If it's on, we back our skills and our confidence ... We've got some great players, play a good brand and we enjoy doing it." Ken Owens

Posted By: ladram
Date Posted: 10 November 2018 at 6:33pm
ken loses one in the red zone again,

-------------
30th june 1986- 30th june 2011.25 years roofing,i wouldn't call that dodgy.

Date Posted: 10 November 2018 at 7:03pm
Pretty awful ref. Several dubious decisions.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 November 2018 at 7:04pm
had a tenner on the draw last week.

-------------

Posted By: spinner
Date Posted: 10 November 2018 at 7:15pm
That's it folks, prime time entertainment, or wozz it???

Posted By: Eastern outpost
Date Posted: 10 November 2018 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

had a tenner on the draw last week.

Teams you love can do awful things to your emotions.

-------------
Any offence taken on board is only a literate/cy consequence. Every attempt at humour is just that. No personal insult intended. Standards lowered for trolls.

Posted By: Grammar School Boy
Date Posted: 10 November 2018 at 7:17pm
Awful game, odd referee, if we make our kicks Aus might have opened up more and beaten us

Date Posted: 10 November 2018 at 7:18pm
classic bbc trash tipuric being interviewed for motm when caption says George north motm then she interviews the aussie and says david Pocock he says im Michael hooper LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 10 November 2018 at 7:19pm
Finally!

And you know what, Australia were tough but didn't offer anything we didn't deal with. Yes, there were mistakes both sides but we were overall the stronger team. I think the players should take a lot of credit for winning this one, mistakes and all. 

Beating them feels good - again, finally!

Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 10 November 2018 at 7:26pm
That’s a unexpected and welcome win.

Far from a classic, but at the end of the day, who cares.

Posted By: Eastern outpost
Date Posted: 10 November 2018 at 8:16pm

That’s a unexpected and welcome win.

Far from a classic, but at the end of the day, who cares.

Absolutely

-------------
Any offence taken on board is only a literate/cy consequence. Every attempt at humour is just that. No personal insult intended. Standards lowered for trolls.

Posted By: surfing-mtber
Date Posted: 10 November 2018 at 8:42pm
Interesting reaction by Sean Edwards to the win, he was ecstatic. His defensive coaching won that match.

Josh Adams was my MOM, he went toe to toe with Falau who didn't manage one clean break. Sign him up, would love to see him outside of Foxy for us.

Another observation, l notice that George North dives into contact and then finds it difficult to present the ball. By contrast Leigh, Hadleigh and Foxy almost always turn in the tackle and present the ball for the scrum half.

Cory Hill made an impact, we missed Samson and Jake.

-------------
Joshua24:15

Date Posted: 10 November 2018 at 10:30pm
How is Halfpenny ? He was helped off the field at the end and I didn't notice him coming back out after the match was over a few minutes later.

Posted By: joni_bach
Date Posted: 10 November 2018 at 11:10pm
Okay, so tactics for the South Africa game should include as many shoulder charges to the head as possible, disguised as attempted charge downs. 

Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 11 November 2018 at 1:24am
Nice pressure kick by Biggar to be fair to win it.

-------------
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook

Date Posted: 11 November 2018 at 9:17am
Pretty boring game to be honest with very little quality rugby but great to get the win. I thought Josh Adams was fantastic both in attack & defence. He looks to me to have booked his place in our starting 15. 

Picking up on your earlier point Ffidel regarding selection I see your point. I think our gameplan was to attack the Aussie lineout but that in reality backfired a little as ours wasn't anywhere near as accurate as it usually is - missing Hill's management maybe. I think my overall feeling on the great 10 debate hasn't really changed. Frankly two tries in two games would have been achieved with Biggar playing 10 & he would have kicked tactically far better than Anscombe.

Rhys remains the most complete 10 we have if we want to develop a ball in play running game. I still worry that Gatland & Co., will revert to type in the build up & through the World Cup - i.e. hope that defence will win it with excellent goal kicking. Anscombe yesterday looked all at sea unable to spark his outside backs & unclear of his role. Aimless kicking on another day would have cost us the game but fair play to Parkes, Foxy and the back 3 for shutting down their dangerous counter attackers. 

Loads of changes for next week & I hope Rhys is fit enough to be given a run at starting 10. My selection would be something like :-

Liam, Josh, Foxy, Watkins, Steff, Rhys, Tomos Williams
Rob, Dee, Samson, Jake, Hill, Wainwright, Jenkins, Moriarty. 

Bench : Elias, Wyn, Brown, Beard, Tipuric, Aled, Biggar, Amos.

Date Posted: 11 November 2018 at 9:32am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Pretty boring game to be honest with very little quality rugby but great to get the win. I thought Josh Adams was fantastic both in attack & defence. He looks to me to have booked his place in our starting 15. 

Picking up on your earlier point Ffidel regarding selection I see your point. I think our gameplan was to attack the Aussie lineout but that in reality backfired a little as ours wasn't anywhere near as accurate as it usually is - missing Hill's management maybe. I think my overall feeling on the great 10 debate hasn't really changed. Frankly two tries in two games would have been achieved with Biggar playing 10 & he would have kicked tactically far better than Anscombe.

Rhys remains the most complete 10 we have if we want to develop a ball in play running game. I still worry that Gatland & Co., will revert to type in the build up & through the World Cup - i.e. hope that defence will win it with excellent goal kicking. Anscombe yesterday looked all at sea unable to spark his outside backs & unclear of his role. Aimless kicking on another day would have cost us the game but fair play to Parkes, Foxy and the back 3 for shutting down their dangerous counter attackers. 

Loads of changes for next week & I hope Rhys is fit enough to be given a run at starting 10. My selection would be something like :-

the last thing rhys needs is a game against a team that thinks a low tackle is just above the forehead.

-------------

Posted By: aber-fan
Date Posted: 11 November 2018 at 9:33am

Fair comments. I especially agree about Anscombe - his best games this season have been as a 15, and he simply doesn't look convincing at 10 - if we are going to play a kicking game, let's stick to Biggar, who is at least good at it - I was particularly annoyed when Anscombe put up a high one to chase himself, and looked to make no effort at all to challenge for the ball - unlike Biggar or 1/2p - it looked as if he just bottled it. Myself, I'd prefer to see Patchell than either of them, especially if we want to develop an attacking game. 

Thought these played well: 1/2p (apart from his goal kicking!) - so solid in defence, and made a few effective darts; Adams - very solid and brave; the scrum - got on top, until the changes; AWJ led from the front, and Ken was tireless, but not as accurate as usual at the lineout. No-one had a real stinker, but Anscombe was perhaps the least satisfactory. 

A word about the charge to 1/2p's head - a very similar thing happened in France v SA... Nigel  O and the TMO had a look, and decided it was worth a penalty - in that case, the player wasn't hurt and stayed on - that looked about right, but the 1/2p one was worse because of the sheer recklessness of what was done, with shoulder to head contact. That was 100% a penalty, and probably a YC too, IMO. What was the ref thinking? Kid A can add the clips to his dossier of evidence on inconsistency in reffing, if he likes!

-------------
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)

Date Posted: 11 November 2018 at 9:35am
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

the last thing rhys needs is a game against a team that thinks a low tackle is just above the forehead.

I take your point Ngel but Rhys wants to establish himself as Wales' 10. From a Scarlet point of view I'd be glad to see Wyn, Ryan, Samson, Jake & Rhys miss next week so they would probably not be in the equation for South Africa but that is taking it a little too far even for a Scarlet fan!!!!!

Posted By: BlackwoodScarlet
Date Posted: 11 November 2018 at 1:25pm
Wol have Gareth Davies as a loset

-------------
If it bleeds we can can kill it

Date Posted: 11 November 2018 at 1:39pm
Australia really weren't that good: I still don't buy people before the game saying they were better on paper as they had not been playing well and we were stronger in several areas out there. Those views I think were made on habit and Australian teams of the past plus our issues in losing games we should win against them. I think a big mental effort considering to make sure it didn't happen again and get the win. It doesn't matter how it was achieved and I think it represents a big step forward.

Decent write up from the independent on it:

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-union/international/wales-australia-international-warren-gatland-world-cup-gareth-anscombe-a8628566.html

Date Posted: 11 November 2018 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by BlackwoodScarlet BlackwoodScarlet wrote:

It was a laughable piece of journalism. Just as poor as the game.

-------------

Posted By: ap sior
Date Posted: 11 November 2018 at 2:12pm

pardon my ignorance but what's a 'loset' ?

Date Posted: 11 November 2018 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

GD was in their "loser" category, rationalised due to the impact of Tomos Williams. Which is odd, because I would have thought one would instead place Williams in the "winner" group as a better way of highlighting his performance but there you go. I don't read WOL and their standards of journalism are very low.

Posted By: BlackwoodScarlet
Date Posted: 11 November 2018 at 2:21pm

Loser sorry

-------------
If it bleeds we can can kill it

Posted By: ap sior
Date Posted: 11 November 2018 at 2:29pm
Thank you both.

Yes odd to describe GD as a loser, as you said it would have been better to say that Williams benefited if they felt that GD didn't have a good game. 

Posted By: aber-fan
Date Posted: 11 November 2018 at 3:05pm

Loser sorry

Odd comment - neither did anything special, but the only bad mistake I remember came from Williams, when he knocked on at the ruck when it looked as if a try was maybe on... doubt that Cawdor would have made such a rookie mistake.

-------------
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)

Date Posted: 11 November 2018 at 3:38pm
We have to remember that when williams came on the game was much more open, plus he had fresh legs against a tiring defence. Its an unfair call. Got to say, im not his biggszt fan, but hill really showed up when ge came on. I thought beard was average. Hes got size and age on his side but he really needs to devrlop his game.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 November 2018 at 4:20pm
I thought Elis Jenkins livened things up too. Should have come on 10 minutes earlier as Lydiate was knackered by then.

Posted By: LLANDRE
Date Posted: 11 November 2018 at 5:16pm
What a seriously poor game of rugby.

-------------
West is Best (Fin gwybod)

Date Posted: 11 November 2018 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by LLANDRE LLANDRE wrote:

What a seriously poor game of rugby.

WOL had "the fans" as the biggest losers. Which, in fairness, did make me laugh.

Posted By: roy munster
Date Posted: 11 November 2018 at 9:19pm

A great and timely chance next week to try out a few of these fringe players....obviously we cant take tonga lightly but a lot of these are quality players...Im especially excited to see josh liam watkins patchell tomos jake and wainwright get a run. Its vital we have class back up at 8 , lock , full back, wing , centre. Areas we have been a bit short in

-------------
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)

Posted By: NobbySosban
Date Posted: 12 November 2018 at 1:00pm
I saw one post-match quote from Gats that said there'd be '15 changes' for Tonga next week - not sure how they'll manage that with only 5 fit back row players in the AIs squad (perhaps Tipuric will stay in and captain) so that suggests a team like:

Liam Williams, Steff Evans, Tyler Morgan, Owen Watkin, Luke Morgan, Rhys Patchell, Tomos Williams;
Rob Evans, Elliot Dee, Leon Brown, Jake Ball, Cory Hill, Ellis Jenkins, Justin Tipuric (c), Aaron Wainwright

Replacements: Ryan Elias, Wyn Jones, Samson Lee, Adam Beard, Dan Lydiate; Aled Davies, Jarrod Evans, Jonah Homes

-------------
Twitterer @ebenezer68

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2015 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk