Forum Description: Team News, Season Tickets, Next Match
URL: http://www.scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=44944
Printed Date: 15 February 2019 at 6:50pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: New signings
Posted By: Maple
Subject: New signings
Date Posted: 25 November 2018 at 7:48pm
Who do we think are real possibility signings for next year?
This  guy kolbie looks a handful.

-------------
Give Blood, Play Rugby

Replies:
Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 25 November 2018 at 8:02pm
Recently signed an extension with Toulouse.

Posted By: scarletsbeno1
Date Posted: 25 November 2018 at 8:21pm
I’d like RG Snyman from South Africa, Thomas Young and Sam Moore

Posted By: Wasp
Date Posted: 25 November 2018 at 10:02pm
Well I can’t see us losing any international players we want to keep. According to Twitter the Ospreys are basically broke, and Cardiff will be struggling next year financially. The WRU have told Dragons not to expect a bigger budget. It’s a bit of a mess out there.

-------------
We're still still here!

Posted By: scarletnut
Date Posted: 25 November 2018 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by scarletsbeno1 scarletsbeno1 wrote:

I’d like RG Snyman from South Africa, Thomas Young and Sam Moore
Snyman is on the market and is attracting interest from some big clubs, Sam Moore recently signed a new 4 year contract while Young has 2 seasons left on his Wasps deal

-------------
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1

Posted By: shocker
Date Posted: 30 November 2018 at 3:11pm
Some fast powerful players on this fiji 7s team

Posted By: PE SA
Date Posted: 01 December 2018 at 11:00am
Can see a fair bit of recruitment being done for next season:
RG Snyman, Sam Lousi, Ben Lam, Sam Davies, Owen Williams, Josh Adams SERIOSLY boost the quality in our squad.

With Cardiff Blues reportedly looking at Josh Adams/Steffan Evans- pretty sure Owen Lane is out of contract...would not be a bad option at all. But I cant see him leaving Cardiff.

Not sure if Werner Kruger is staying - I'd like to think he is, but if not, we would need a very good signing to replace him. Not sure who's about.

Retention is also key.

Ideally, we need to recruit quality that will not be part of the world cup to really get our European campaign underway.

As it stands, Sam Davies, Owen Williams, Sam Lousi, Ben Lam would give us a massive boost for that.

Posted By: Ffidel Bennett
Date Posted: 01 December 2018 at 1:42pm
I think Sam Davies can only play one type of game revolving around kicking, and although there are times when I don't think the Scarlets kick well or don't do enough kicking, I wouldn't want to see us play Ospreys style, relying on forward power and kicking for position while we wait for the opposition to make mistakes.  
Now, Owen Williams or Rhys Priestland I'd love to see backing up Patch, but they would probably see playing second fiddle as a backward move.
 I think we  made the right sort of signing in Angus O'Brien- a promising youngster who had fallen out with the Drags coaches and wanting a new start. Unfortunately he had a couple of poor games before he really had a chance to settle, and then a long injury. Who knows, he may yet come good.

Posted By: aber-fan
Date Posted: 01 December 2018 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

I think Sam Davies can only play one type of game revolving around kicking, and although there are times when I don't think the Scarlets kick well or don't do enough kicking, I wouldn't want to see us play Ospreys style, relying on forward power and kicking for position while we wait for the opposition to make mistakes.  
Now, Owen Williams or Rhys Priestland I'd love to see backing up Patch, but they would probably see playing second fiddle as a backward move.
 I think we  made the right sort of signing in Angus O'Brien- a promising youngster who had fallen out with the Drags coaches and wanting a new start. Unfortunately he had a couple of poor games before he really had a chance to settle, and then a long injury. Who knows, he may yet come good.

Fair comment.

Sam is a classy kicking 10, but doesn't really fit in with the Scarlet's style - in any case, we already have Dan Jones, whose kicking game is top class and who IMHO is fine as back up to Patch. Why look elsewhere?

-------------
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)

Date Posted: 01 December 2018 at 1:55pm

What you seem to not like about Sam Davies is a game plan a team uses. Look at Fonotia for example. Sam Davies IMO can play the game we want to play. He has pace, can attack, can slot back to 15. Definitely should be looked at IMO.
As for Owen Williams, IMO he would come in as 12. Gatland had that plan for him. Seems to have been moved there at Leicester as well before his move to Gloucester. I'd look at the possibility of signing both if I'm honest. If we can have a backline of:
9. SHC/Hardy 10. Dan/Sam 11. Lam type signing 12. Owen 13. Fonotia 14. Prydie/Conbeer/Lewis
15. McNicholl - I am sure we can start Europe with an explosion next season.

Date Posted: 01 December 2018 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Fair comment.

Sam is a classy kicking 10, but doesn't really fit in with the Scarlet's style - in any case, we already have Dan Jones, whose kicking game is top class and who IMHO is fine as back up to Patch. Why look elsewhere?
We need depth.
Next season the world cup is on. We wont have Patch until Christmas.

Posted By: scarletabroad
Date Posted: 01 December 2018 at 4:58pm
For me Kruger needs to be cuddled and signed worth his immense weight in gold

Posted By: gorau
Date Posted: 01 December 2018 at 5:01pm
I think Owen Williams could be bought in as a creative centre. Also it's worth noting that Hadleigh Parkes, Jonathan Davies and Kieran Fonotia are all now 30. 

Owen is younger and I think he'd make a great signing. 

Are we definitely after RG Snyman, Ben Lam and Sam Lousi?

-------------
eds

Posted By: scarletsbeno1
Date Posted: 01 December 2018 at 7:08pm
New pack after that performance

Date Posted: 01 December 2018 at 7:11pm
New 23

Posted By: Sandman
Date Posted: 01 December 2018 at 7:16pm
Add coaching staff to the list.

-------------
Only one team plays in red. (Sorry, Scarlet)

Posted By: Mogwen
Date Posted: 01 December 2018 at 7:23pm
Another few second rows. Apart ftom ball we have no serious condenders. Theyre all ligbt weight with regards to bulking up or pac. Theyre great around the field but whats the point ofvthat if we conceed pens in the set peices

-------------
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Posted By: Legendinmybathroom
Date Posted: 01 December 2018 at 10:27pm
I’ve just been looking up the 3 above mentioned players.
Ben Lam looks really useful. He has pace to burn, but more importantly he is a physical lump of a man who looks like he can physically bully opposition wings/fullbacks. He’s also known to Blade Thompson, so that might help him settle in quite well, if he joins and McNicholl stays then we will have 3 backs from the same super rugby franchise.
Snyman looks like the kind of second rower we like, quite mobile, but more importantly weighing in at 18stone and stands at 6ft 9 inches. That makes him considerably heavier than most of outer second rowers and adds quite a bit of weight to our scrum (which we seem to be saying that we currently miss, we were bullied by 7 forwards this evening).
Sam Lousi looks useful too, 6ft 6 and 19 stone, with a very good offloading game.
Also, they will be available throughout the season, unless they somehow find themselves eligible for Scotland or something.

Posted By: townboy
Date Posted: 01 December 2018 at 10:47pm

Do you really think that Priestland will come back and play 2nd fiddle to Patch...Wake up

Posted By: ScarletBear
Date Posted: 02 December 2018 at 4:38am
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

RG Snyman, Sam Lousi, Ben Lam, Sam Davies, Owen Williams, Josh Adams SERIOSLY boost the quality in our squad.

With Cardiff Blues reportedly looking at Josh Adams/Steffan Evans- pretty sure Owen Lane is out of contract...would not be a bad option at all. But I cant see him leaving Cardiff.

Not sure if Werner Kruger is staying - I'd like to think he is, but if not, we would need a very good signing to replace him. Not sure who's about.

Retention is also key.

Ideally, we need to recruit quality that will not be part of the world cup to really get our European campaign underway.

As it stands, Sam Davies, Owen Williams, Sam Lousi, Ben Lam would give us a massive boost for that.

Is this your wish list or somewhat reality?

-------------
Scarlets before Wales

Date Posted: 02 December 2018 at 9:07am
Oh no : Sam Davies has only one string to his bow, kick, kick, kick.

For goodness sake, leave in the Ospreys.

-------------
Give Blood, Play Rugby

Posted By: henry_winkler
Date Posted: 02 December 2018 at 9:20am
Originally posted by Maple Maple wrote:

Oh no : Sam Davies has only one string to his bow, kick, kick, kick.

For goodness sake, leave in the Ospreys.

We need a plan b.

Sam would be an excellent acquisition

Posted By: ladram
Date Posted: 02 December 2018 at 9:24am
let's hope whoever we sign doesn't need 3 months to get fit or adapt to pro 14 rugby,

-------------
30th june 1986- 30th june 2011.25 years roofing,i wouldn't call that dodgy.

Posted By: GPR - Rochester
Date Posted: 02 December 2018 at 9:34am

I agree with you regarding Sam Ffidel. Watching the Ospreys has become pretty boring. You mention us relying on forward power - that was a joke wasn't it - I am of course speaking with the benefit of having seen yesterdays game.!!!Cry

Posted By: greypower1
Date Posted: 02 December 2018 at 9:41am
Perhaps we can get two Davies's for the price of one, Sam and Nigel 😂

-------------
Keep the faith

Date Posted: 02 December 2018 at 9:49am
Originally posted by greypower1 greypower1 wrote:

go and wash your mouth out with soap,Big smile

-------------

Date Posted: 02 December 2018 at 10:26am
Used TCP instead.😫

-------------
Keep the faith

Posted By: ap sior
Date Posted: 02 December 2018 at 10:29am

Did you have a BOGOF in mind ?

Date Posted: 02 December 2018 at 10:45am
We need to keep hold of Steff Evans. I thought he played well last night and showed commitment as he chased a loose ball in the build up to Foxy's try. 

We could do with some bulk for games like last night. Sam Lousi and RG Snyman look like they fit the bill. 

-------------
eds

Date Posted: 02 December 2018 at 11:31am
after the the way we performed the last 2 seasons where our profile was right at the top of domestic and European rugby yet we still can't seem to attract top end signings and seem to be slipping back to the bad old days of hoping some player is worth a punt I went to newbury races yesterday with the same idea and only one of my 7 punts payed off,it rarely happens.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 December 2018 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

Retention is also key.

No reality whatsoever in terms of those NWQ players

-------------
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1

Date Posted: 02 December 2018 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

after the the way we performed the last 2 seasons where our profile was right at the top of domestic and European rugby yet we still can't seem to attract top end signings and seem to be slipping back to the bad old days of hoping some player is worth a punt I went to newbury races yesterday with the same idea and only one of my 7 punts payed off,it rarely happens.
Blade Thomson isn’t a top end signing?

-------------

Posted By: haydn_davies
Date Posted: 02 December 2018 at 12:27pm
We have to give credit where it's due, how many people had heard of Beirne or Ball for example before they arrived here??

It's still relatively early to be judging some players that arrived this season - its not exactly been a settled squad playing week after week.

-------------
Think, think, think - it's a thinking man's game!! - The Great Carwyn James.
Just for our SA friends - Weste is die beste!

Date Posted: 02 December 2018 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Blade Thomson isn’t a top end signing?

Blade is a very high quality signing and for overall level of play is up there with Barclay - what he cannot bring yet is leadership which we are struggling with at the moment. When things go wrong we don't seem to have anyone who can assess, gather the forwards around and adjust. Last night's game was crying out for calm leadership - firstly Rhys should have kicked the penalty when the lad got red. Then we should have played territory and tried to put together phases. Instead we enter into a frantic high tempo game on their terms. Clearly the penalty count crucified us so why not let them have the ball trust our defence and keep squeaky clean. 

Date Posted: 02 December 2018 at 2:23pm
The WRU should be looking long and hard at the situation with the Dragons. They have some very good young guys who don't seem to be being developed properly - Brown, Keddie, Griffiths, Wainwright are all forwards who would add to any other regions' squads. At 20's level Brown & Keddie were as good if not better than their Irish counterparts who are now tearing up trees at Leinster - why???? It has to be coaching surely. 

Date Posted: 02 December 2018 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by haydn_davies haydn_davies wrote:

We have to give credit where it's due, how many people had heard of Beirne or Ball for example before they arrived here??

It's still relatively early to be judging some players that arrived this season - its not exactly been a settled squad playing week after week.
as I said haydn,punts they don't always pay off beirne has gone and jake is either with wales or injured we need people who aren't looking at us as a vehicle for another team and going to do a job.a tia tia would be fantastic.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 December 2018 at 9:27am
One player we should sign in Owen Williams, quick as possible.

-------------
Give Blood, Play Rugby

Posted By: Fscarlet
Date Posted: 03 December 2018 at 9:50am

We have 3 quality centres at the moment & I don't think he will be happy coming in to play 2nd fiddle to Rhys at 10.

Posted By: thommo
Date Posted: 03 December 2018 at 9:52am

Don't need him imo. Need a new wing first.

Date Posted: 03 December 2018 at 9:54am
Originally posted by thommo thommo wrote:

And a dynamic , carrying second row or two.

Date Posted: 03 December 2018 at 9:58am

At this point in time we are an injury away from being in big trouble at 10. Owen would challenge Rhys hard for the starting jersey and would push Parkes & Asquith at 12. Therefore from a team strengthening point of view he would be ideal. 

As for wingers we currently have Jonny & Steff who are starters, Prydie, Ioan, Baldwin, Conbeer & Tomi Lewis. If all remain with us a wing is not a prioirity particularly when you see how weak we are in the forwards. 

Date Posted: 03 December 2018 at 10:09am
2 second rows, carrying 6 and a proper 8. A blistering wing at least

Date Posted: 03 December 2018 at 10:30am

We really need a 10 to compete with Patchell

-------------

Date Posted: 03 December 2018 at 11:07am

Retention is also key.

Just a wishlist on my part. I believe they are all out of contract and in Lam and Lousis case - are not in All Blacks radar for the World Cup - type of players we need to target IMO.

Date Posted: 03 December 2018 at 11:08am
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

We really need a 10 to compete with Patchell
agree...plus next season, whoever the new 10 will be is likely to be first choice for majority of the season with World Cup and 6N within the season.

Date Posted: 03 December 2018 at 11:17am
Snyman & Lousi would certainly be upgrades on Bulbring & Price & would give us that hard edge and carrying. Add in another effective no 8 carrier and we are well on our way. 

Posted By: EJPT
Date Posted: 03 December 2018 at 12:35pm
No way we’ll get RG Snyman as much as i’d like us to

Date Posted: 03 December 2018 at 2:30pm

Eh?
A no.10 is THE most important signing we can make this season (besides a coach) We just can't rely on Patchell, he's either with Wales or injured. He's so fragile we can't go a whole season again without a 10 of serious quality going toe to toe with Patch for the shirt.

Date Posted: 03 December 2018 at 2:31pm
And besides a 10 it's forwards we need not backs

Posted By: turkishrebel
Date Posted: 03 December 2018 at 2:41pm
powerful ball carriers we need. some physicality up front.

-------------
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!

Date Posted: 03 December 2018 at 3:08pm
We need both. If Asquith and McNicholl, and maybe others, (hopefully not Steff) move on as is rumoured, then there is certainly room for the likes of Josh Adams. Similarly this season has also shown that we need a backup for Patchell, and unfortunately he needs to be signed without us being able to have a decent look at O'Brien. 
 As for a couple of big ball carrying forwards to complement Ball, (who also seems to be with Wales or injured for a lot of the time), I don't think anyone is arguing with that. 
Unfortunately these are the positions that are probably most in demand and it may be easier to sign Josh Adams than the 10 or the forwards, unless Mooar has some new  ideas.

Date Posted: 03 December 2018 at 3:41pm
I didn't advocate another back 3 signing unless we lose players. Mcnichol & Asquith would be big losses with Josh Adams an excellent replacement for Jonny & Owen Williams for Asquith. Owen will be needed whether Asquith moves on or not. Then we need to concentrate our spending on front 5 & that elusive No 8. 

Posted By: diego6754
Date Posted: 03 December 2018 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

I didn't advocate another back 3 signing unless we lose players. Mcnichol & Asquith would be big losses with Josh Adams an excellent replacement for Jonny & Owen Williams for Asquith. Owen will be needed whether Asquith moves on or not. Then we need to concentrate our spending on front 5 & that elusive No 8. 

Makes sense. Personally I'd favour Hal Amos to Josh but that is just my preference and either would be a good signing. As I understand it though Amos is nailed on to join Blues and with him studying medicine in Cardiff that makes sense. I can't see the Blues signing both Adams and Amos though.

Owen Williams for me is a no brainer, covers a few positions to a high standard, still youngish, welsh. This time last year he was probably the hottest property outside Wales along with Moriarty.

Date Posted: 03 December 2018 at 3:53pm
Maybe the new coach will bring an upgrade of quality that are not Welsh

Posted By: Scarletstarch
Date Posted: 03 December 2018 at 4:03pm
I saw a photo of the Wales 7's team recently and Conbeer was in a boot, does anyone know what sort of injury he has? Unhappy

-------------
"YMA O HYD"

Date Posted: 03 December 2018 at 4:17pm
He went off injured in first 7s game with leg injury. He didn't look good then

Posted By: ScarletBear
Date Posted: 03 December 2018 at 4:18pm

And a beast of a lock, who can play 6 too.

-------------
Scarlets before Wales

Posted By: ChrisX
Date Posted: 03 December 2018 at 4:56pm

And a beast of a lock, who can play 6 too.

Tadhg Beirne Wink or maybe Kieran Read will retire after RWC and join Mooar in West Wales Smile

Posted By: Dai38
Date Posted: 03 December 2018 at 5:14pm
Kieran Read is in a tug of war with 2 French clubs, with around £1 million + per season, it was reported on a New Zealand newspaper a few weeks ago. Racing Metro was one of the clubs.

-------------
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!

Date Posted: 03 December 2018 at 5:58pm
Since Brad Mooar is coming from Crusaders as a potential back row option it would be great to have Jordan Taufua over. He's dynamic and powerful. I'd love to have Thomas Young here if he wants to improve his Welsh chances by playing in Wales.

I agree with many on here Owen Williams would make a great signing. I see him more as a 12 and if Asquith goes then we have great cover there. Asquith can cover wing so a winger is needed especially if McNicholl leaves as well. Any of Hallam Amos, Josh Adams or Jonah Holmes would do. Someone mentioned George Bridge from the Crusaders but he's recently been capped on the All Blacks end of season tour. Bridge scored two tries against Japan so I'm sure he's going to be slowly eased in now to the All Blacks team, especially since Ben Smith is rumoured to be off to France after the World Cup. 

Other options could be Israel Dagg from the Crusaders since he hasn't featured for the All Blacks in years or Nehe Milner Skudder who has also had limited game time for the All Blacks. Both I'd imagine would be expensive. 

A big second row is needed in the mould of RG Snyman who's been mentioned on the forum a few times. Luke Romano is with the Crusaders and he maybe an option since he's in the same boat as Skudder and Dagg with regards to All Black selection. Romano is 32 mind so maybe someone younger but equally as powerful would do. 

I feel Werner Kruger could leave so a tight head would be needed. I also feel that Tom Phillips and Declan Smith could leave given the quality we have in their positions. 

Position wise I think we need a back row possibly two back rowers, a centre/fly half, another wing/ fullback, a tight head and a second row.

-------------
eds

Posted By: M.M.
Date Posted: 03 December 2018 at 6:07pm
Werner would be a real loss if he went. I hope he stays.

Date Posted: 03 December 2018 at 6:14pm
We should do our 2nd row shopping in England, we always get bullied by English packs. Look how rubbish Leicester are and they didn't just beat us, they made us look like children.

Obviously we don't want one in the mould of Adam Useless, more like Kitchener or someone like that.

Date Posted: 03 December 2018 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by M.M. M.M. wrote:

Werner would be a real loss if he went. I hope he stays.
He's getting on mind and I suppose if we see a better option on the market we need to be ruthless. Having said that we need another tighthead anyway because there's nothing behind Samson and Werner. 

-------------

Date Posted: 03 December 2018 at 8:57pm
Werner is also our best carrier. Maybe he's not quite as effective when he has to start ie in Samson's absence but I would certainly keep him for another season at least. Gardiner has also on occasions looked useful coming on when our pack is in the ascendency and we're using rolling mauls in the opposition 22 - not so good when we are defending and the rolls of fat around his waist aren't exactly helpful for anything other than scrummaging. I'm surprised we haven't seen more of Javan Sebastian, as he is more mobile and likes to carry - a fitness issue?
One of the features that props need in plenty is confidence as I doubt that the average referee understands much about what is going on and a 20st con-man might earn a good few more penalties than a much better prop.

Posted By: LLANDRE
Date Posted: 03 December 2018 at 8:59pm
Our scrum improved on Saturday when Gardiner came on

-------------
West is Best (Fin gwybod)

Date Posted: 03 December 2018 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by LLANDRE LLANDRE wrote:

Our scrum improved on Saturday when Gardiner came on

Gwir. In the absence of Samson I'd be tempted to start with Gardiner so that we put pressure on the opposition scrum at the start, maybe earn a few penalties,and then when the game opens up bring Werner on for his superior contribution in the loose and carrying in particular. He's one of the few Scarlet forwards that have the bulk, power and low body angle to crash through anyone but the best defenders.

Posted By: LLANDRE
Date Posted: 03 December 2018 at 9:17pm
I would be inclined to agree with you Ffidel.

-------------
West is Best (Fin gwybod)

Posted By: tannerbankboy
Date Posted: 03 December 2018 at 10:08pm
But Kruger offers more for over an hour when he starts,  Gardiner is a 20 minute scrummager these days it seems.

Date Posted: 03 December 2018 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by tannerbankboy tannerbankboy wrote:

But Kruger offers more for over an hour when he starts,  Gardiner is a 20 minute scrummager these days it seems.
Absolute no brainer to start Kruger when Samson is injured.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 December 2018 at 10:24pm
Gardiner is not fit enough, and while the scrum may be ok at the start of the game  we would suffer elsewhere, a risk I wouldn't want to take.

-------------

Posted By: Sosban bach
Date Posted: 03 December 2018 at 11:43pm
Deffo give Kruger a year or two contract unless he wants to leave. I’ve seen Sebastian come on for gardnier in a rfc game and the scrum improved.

Posted By: Hendre
Date Posted: 04 December 2018 at 12:15am
You wouldn’t have seen Sebastian come on for Gardiner in an RFC game, he’s attached to Quins!

-------------
You were born to win, but to be a winner, you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.
Zig Ziglar

Posted By: supertaf
Date Posted: 04 December 2018 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by gorau gorau wrote:

Since Brad Mooar is coming from Crusaders as a potential back row option it would be great to have Jordan Taufua over. He's dynamic and powerful. I'd love to have Thomas Young here if he wants to improve his Welsh chances by playing in Wales.

I agree with many on here Owen Williams would make a great signing. I see him more as a 12 and if Asquith goes then we have great cover there. Asquith can cover wing so a winger is needed especially if McNicholl leaves as well. Any of Hallam Amos, Josh Adams or Jonah Holmes would do. Someone mentioned George Bridge from the Crusaders but he's recently been capped on the All Blacks end of season tour. Bridge scored two tries against Japan so I'm sure he's going to be slowly eased in now to the All Blacks team, especially since Ben Smith is rumoured to be off to France after the World Cup. 

Other options could be Israel Dagg from the Crusaders since he hasn't featured for the All Blacks in years or Nehe Milner Skudder who has also had limited game time for the All Blacks. Both I'd imagine would be expensive. 

A big second row is needed in the mould of RG Snyman who's been mentioned on the forum a few times. Luke Romano is with the Crusaders and he maybe an option since he's in the same boat as Skudder and Dagg with regards to All Black selection. Romano is 32 mind so maybe someone younger but equally as powerful would do. 

I feel Werner Kruger could leave so a tight head would be needed. I also feel that Tom Phillips and Declan Smith could leave given the quality we have in their positions. 

Position wise I think we need a back row possibly two back rowers, a centre/fly half, another wing/ fullback, a tight head and a second row.
Interested to see Dagg and Snyman are currently in Japan as are numerous other `stars`

-------------
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872

Date Posted: 07 December 2018 at 8:43am
It seems there are a lot of players leaving Wasps at the end of the season.

-------------
Give Blood, Play Rugby

Posted By: crj89
Date Posted: 07 December 2018 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by Hendre Hendre wrote:

You wouldn’t have seen Sebastian come on for Gardiner in an RFC game, he’s attached to Quins!

'Scarlets A' I think he may have meant.

Posted By: crj89
Date Posted: 07 December 2018 at 1:27pm

Jimmy Gopperth and Thomas Young wouldn't go a miss Haha!!

Date Posted: 07 December 2018 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by crj89 crj89 wrote:

Yeah if the rumours are true Wasps could be in the proper cach. I think Tom has a year left on his contract but you would hope if he was available we'd be having a chat. Superb player, people who don't watch the Aviva do not realise how good he is. If he was English he'd have 50 caps by now.

Gopparth will be 36 before the start of next season so may be a bit long in the tooth for us. Great player though!

I think Scarlets released a statement a few weeks/months ago saying retention was nearly complete. Does anyone have an inkling who is staying and who is going?

Date Posted: 07 December 2018 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by diego6754 diego6754 wrote:

Yeah if the rumours are true Wasps could be in the proper cach. I think Tom has a year left on his contract but you would hope if he was available we'd be having a chat. Superb player, people who don't watch the Aviva do not realise how good he is. If he was English he'd have 50 caps by now.

Gopparth will be 36 before the start of next season so may be a bit long in the tooth for us. Great player though!

I think Scarlets released a statement a few weeks/months ago saying retention was nearly complete. Does anyone have an inkling who is staying and who is going?

What rumours are there about Wasps - thought they were one of the better run clubs. I know there is talk about Daly & Hughes leaving for pastures new at the end of the season but thats life. Don't see why Thomas Young would want to join us to play 2nd fiddle to Cubby. Excellent player tho. 

Date Posted: 07 December 2018 at 3:07pm
Lets all remember how high the salaries are in the Wasps.

Money problems are such that Hughes/Daley etc are leaving for a lot more money, allegedly £500K, I bet they are on £300/400k now, so compared to the Scarlets very high earners.

The rest of the squad are also on high salaries (allegedly) so they have decided to start developing their own players, a business model which we started a few years ago.

We can not compete with these clubs, and in all honesty regardless of how good they are we need players in other positions first. 

-------------

Date Posted: 07 December 2018 at 3:10pm
GPR, the owners of Wasps are in dispute with a few people, including Coventry City I believe, and also they have to repay short term loans from patrons they had when they moved to Coventry.

They are not as solvent as many think, but aren't we all !!!! 

-------------

Date Posted: 07 December 2018 at 3:11pm

What rumours are there about Wasps - thought they were one of the better run clubs. I know there is talk about Daly & Hughes leaving for pastures new at the end of the season but thats life. Don't see why Thomas Young would want to join us to play 2nd fiddle to Cubby. Excellent player tho. 

£55 million debt, massive losses last year and a chairman who although generous doesn't have deep enough pockets to fund that kind of expenditure.

I would see young as an upgrade on Boyde should he go. He's played all across the backrow for Wasps. He'd give Cubby a good run for the 7 shirt as well. Hypothetical anyway, no rumours that we've talked to him and no rumours that he's leaving Wasps.

Date Posted: 07 December 2018 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by Dai38 Dai38 wrote:

GPR, the owners of Wasps are in dispute with a few people, including Coventry City I believe, and also they have to repay short term loans from patrons they had when they moved to Coventry.

They are not as solvent as many think, but aren't we all !!!! 

Thanks Dai - don't know why I missed that!!!

Posted By: turkishrebel
Date Posted: 07 December 2018 at 3:17pm
don't like these rumours floating about wil boyde to the ospreys, seriously hope they are not true. floating around on twitter. also saying though that tipuric is on his way out of there

-------------
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!

£55 million debt, massive losses last year and a chairman who although generous doesn't have deep enough pockets to fund that kind of expenditure.

I would see young as an upgrade on Boyde should he go. He's played all across the backrow for Wasps. He'd give Cubby a good run for the 7 shirt as well. Hypothetical anyway, no rumours that we've talked to him and no rumours that he's leaving Wasps.
I think Young and Cubby would complement each other. same way as Cubby and Barclay did. Dont see it happening though (not this summer anyways). we do need another "fetcher" in the squad...Young most certainly fits that bill.

Thats interesting. Young is indeed an upgrade on Boyde having played across the back row. He is a marvelous player but would not oust Cubby in my mind but I may well be biased as I see Cubby as the best proper 7 in Europe. By proper I mean an effective link between forwards and backs, a player with the physical attributes to contest the breakdown and the ability to play comfortably at centre. Cubby, Tipuric and Young all have these attributes - we are indeed so spoilt in Wales. 

Posted By: 157cb
Date Posted: 07 December 2018 at 3:37pm

Tom Young yes please !

Posted By: supertaf
Date Posted: 07 December 2018 at 4:09pm
As Ive asked on twitter, where did these rumours about Will start? Been seen shopping in Morfa has he?

-------------
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872

Date Posted: 07 December 2018 at 4:16pm
Thomas Young is much more physical than Cubby and is better at not getting cleared out. He is just as quick as Cubby and links well with the backs. Cubby has got better handling skills than him. Against the bigger packs Young is a better option than Cubby. I doubt Cubby would get regular rugby if he were playing for a Premiership team.

-------------
Keep the faith

Posted By: Grammar School Boy
Date Posted: 07 December 2018 at 4:26pm

Thomas Young is much more physical than Cubby and is better at not getting cleared out. He is just as quick as Cubby and links well with the backs. Cubby has got better handling skills than him. Against the bigger packs Young is a better option than Cubby. I doubt Cubby would get regular rugby if he were playing for a Premiership team.

Agreed, and Cubby was not much of a factor against Leinster, but then he was not alone.

Young spends less time in the outside channels, and is a different type of player.

Posted By: Mundoscarlet
Date Posted: 07 December 2018 at 4:31pm
Cubs doesn't get pushed of a ball when jackled, where you getting that idea from?

Posted By: SospanMawr
Date Posted: 07 December 2018 at 6:03pm
Young is an excellent carrier and has played a fair bit of 8. Could he be a long term starter for us there?

Posted By: Why
Date Posted: 07 December 2018 at 6:27pm

Agree Young is more physical in carrying but Cubby would walk into most prem teams. One of his strengths is his strength he wins balls and stops opposition getting the ball when he has no right to do so. Young would be great addition to team and could compliment cubby in back row. Having said that the biggest miss for us this season is Aaron.

-------------
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.

Posted By: NeylandAllBlack
Date Posted: 08 December 2018 at 9:42am
We've got a problem next season. Have next season's players been decided on yet?

With a new coach coming in will he have a say this season who comes and who goes as Pivac will be with us until after the World Cup.

Not sure how this is going to pan out.

Posted By: Legendinmybathroom
Date Posted: 08 December 2018 at 10:05am
Originally posted by NeylandAllBlack NeylandAllBlack wrote:

We've got a problem next season. Have next season's players been decided on yet?

With a new coach coming in will he have a say this season who comes and who goes as Pivac will be with us until after the World Cup.

Not sure how this is going to pan out.

I presume that Pivac’s contract would most likely end at the end of this season, I can’t remember anyone having a contract running out 2/3 months into a season, but I maybe wrong.
I expect Pivac will be on some kind of paid coaching sebatical from June to the end of the World Cup. This would leave the club to carry out the recruitment and renewal process for next season with some input from Brad Mooar and possibly Pivac being consulted.
It will be very interesting to see how this transition plays out.

Date Posted: 08 December 2018 at 10:09am
As most of the retention work is apparently done I guess Brad won't have had much input. As for new recruits I hope he is fully involved. 

Posted By: Exkixu
Date Posted: 08 December 2018 at 10:50am
Second row (the tackle bursting type)
Number 8 (the tackle bursting type)
Winger (the tackle bursting type)

A forwards coach. A very good one (he does need to tackle our forwards issues)

-------------
1 Xavier Rush   2 Rhys Priestland   3 David Lyons   Cardiff Blues - Scarlets, 26/09/09      

More carries than any of our forwards. Priestland Fan Club Proud Member

Date Posted: 08 December 2018 at 10:56am
Originally posted by Exkixu Exkixu wrote:

Second row (the tackle bursting type)
Number 8 (the tackle bursting type)
Winger (the tackle bursting type)

A forwards coach. A very good one (he does need to tackle our forwards issues)

I agree with the first two, the third I would go for another tackle bursting 2nd row giving us three additions to the back 5. In addition to a new forward coach I think we may also need to look at our defence. Forward play & defence has gone backwards this season alarmingly. 

Date Posted: 08 December 2018 at 11:01am
This is the forward coach that won a title 2 years ago, and a semifinal and final last year.

Why replace him, is it his fault, if it was then we have had 2 very lucky years prior to this one.

-------------

Posted By: Exkixu
Date Posted: 08 December 2018 at 11:15am

This is the forward coach that won a title 2 years ago, and a semifinal and final last year.

Why replace him, is it his fault, if it was then we have had 2 very lucky years prior to this one.

I wouldn't say lucky. I wouldn't say two years either.

There was definately a few months at the end of the 2016/2017 season where we played liked no others. It was no more than 5-6 games though and, as importantly, in Spring.

2017/2018 was a mixed bag. We hardly reached those heights (yes Bath away was brilliant, but Bath home wasn't) and a few teams reacted to our gameplay and crucially to our lack of variance.

The absence of Beirne and Barclay and the injuries to Ball, Cubby and Shingler have hurt us no end this season but there is a recurring theme with our squad, and that is that our pack does not perform at the top level. Sometimes it's down to injuries, sometimes it's down to personnel. I think it is also down to not having ever invested in bringing a tough, experienced forwards coach. 

I'm not Dan Jones' biggest fan but I'll say this, he's good enough to be Patchell's deputy provided we have a pack that can truck it up the middle and doesn't concede the gainline so easily in defence. Behind our current pack who we have at 10 is almost irrelevant.

-------------
1 Xavier Rush   2 Rhys Priestland   3 David Lyons   Cardiff Blues - Scarlets, 26/09/09      

More carries than any of our forwards. Priestland Fan Club Proud Member

Date Posted: 08 December 2018 at 11:38am

We did win the title two years ago Dai but last year we were a distant 2nd in the pro 14 & trounced in the semi final of Europe. Before you say ah yes but it was Leinster at their best its the same Leinster team that were very lucky to beat Munster in Dublin in the pro 14 semi and the same team who pipped Racing against the run of play in European final. In each of our encounters with Leinster we were bullied into submission and that has continued into this season. In terms of professional sport 2016 is ancient history. If Brad Mooar is the right choice for us then he will make his own mind up I am sure. 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2015 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk