Forum Description: Team News, Season Tickets, Next Match
URL: https://scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=44952
Printed Date: 28 March 2024 at 9:39am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Scarlets & Ospreys to play home matches on JD
Posted By: Fscarlet
Subject: Scarlets & Ospreys to play home matches on JD
Date Posted: 26 November 2018 at 4:01pm
The Welsh Rugby Union has revealed a new four-year deal for Judgement Day that involves the Scarlets and Ospreys surrendering home fixtures in the future. It's a move away from the previous six years, that saw the Cardiff Blues and Dragons regularly give up a home fixture for the regions' big day out at the Principality Stadium.

Previously, the gate receipts have been split evenly between the two home sides but in a significant move, all four regions are now part of the agreement.

The ticket profits will also be split differently, with the home teams pocketing 80% and the away sides taking home 20%.

The WRU hopes to work with the Guinness PRO14 to ensure that the teams with 11 home league games that particular season are the nominated home teams on Judgement Day, ensuring all four regions have 10 league games at their home ground per season. Another advancement sees prices for season ticket holders of the away teams frozen at £10 per head or £5 concession for under-16s. Home team season tickets will continue to include Judgement Day.

“We have evolved our approach to the Judgement Day concept over the years, it has become a must-see attraction in Welsh rugby’s annual calendar and a celebration of the regional game,” said WRU chief executive Martyn Phillips.

“We have been working hard on ensuring that the event goes from strength to strength and a fundamentally collaborative approach, ensuring all four teams are now fully incentivised financially as well as competitively on the field, is the way forward.

“Judgement Day attendances have now broken the 60,000 mark for the last three years in a row, this is consistently the top fixture in the Guinness PRO14 calendar and we will be doing everything in our power to ensure it comes back even bigger and better at the culmination of a huge season for Welsh rugby ahead of RWC 2019.”

The next instalment of Judgement Day has been confirmed for April 27 when the Dragons will face the Scarlets at 3pm before the Cardiff Blues against the Ospreys at 5:15pm.

As the final round of action before the post season, it could be the final chance for Warren Gatland and his coaching staff to get a look at the players before selecting his squad for the 2019 Rugby World Cup, almost creating a trial situation.

Replies:
Posted By: aber-fan
Date Posted: 26 November 2018 at 4:06pm
I have never been to one of these, so two questions:

1. Are they more, or less, pleasant than Wales matches? (Probably more 'genuine' rugby fans, but maybe more risk of 'unpleasantness' from rival supporters).

2. Is it all to pay, or do ST holders of the 'home' teams get in free?

-------------
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)

Posted By: SA14
Date Posted: 26 November 2018 at 4:15pm
I quite enjoy them. I haven’t been to an international for years mind.

Posted By: roy munster
Date Posted: 26 November 2018 at 4:43pm
Season ticket holders will surely get free entrance , this will be a fair bit of extra wedge for us 
I understand the complaint it loses us one of our games at home. Maybe the club can make up for this by offering free coach tickets for season ticket holders? I assume we only lose this one home fixture once every 2 years which isnt a big sacrifice. I would curb it at that though. Cardiff is a pricey day out , though the free coach ticket and free match ticket for season ticket holders certainly saves a lot of that. The only other downside is these people wont be in llanelli on that match day so less atmosphere and less people and less spending around the town on that day too

-------------
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)

Posted By: GreyScarlet
Date Posted: 26 November 2018 at 5:03pm
I went to the first two, but got fed up having to stand up every two minutes to have beer spilt on me by passing 'rugby fans' who didn't seem to worried about missing any rugby that was going on behind them

At home I saw all of the rugby, admittedly with less atmosphere.

-------------
Virtually perfect rugby - 1992/93

Posted By: KID A
Date Posted: 26 November 2018 at 5:27pm
Personally I think it's a dreadful idea. Losing home games for money. Where does it end?

The Cardiff crowd were very unhappy as they had to pay £10 for discounted tickets and they were all in the lower tier. And that's before you consider the majority of their fanbase doesn't have a 100 mile round trip.

In recent years we're getting fewer and fewer games in PyS for the price of a season ticket.

Date Posted: 26 November 2018 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

Personally I think it's a dreadful idea. Losing home games for money. Where does it end?

The Cardiff crowd were very unhappy as they had to pay £10 for discounted tickets and they were all in the lower tier. And that's before you consider the majority of their fanbase doesn't have a 100 mile round trip.

In recent years we're getting fewer and fewer games in PyS for the price of a season ticket.

How are we getting less?

Posted By: 157cb
Date Posted: 26 November 2018 at 5:55pm

If it means that the Scarlets supporters are together that's brilliant for me !!

We may have a chance to create our unique atmosphere on the occasion now .

Date Posted: 26 November 2018 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

How are we getting less?

Don't we get less now (10) than we did two seasons ago. In alternating years?

Now, we're told that when we do get 11, one of them isn't even at our home.

Posted By: PearlJam
Date Posted: 26 November 2018 at 6:03pm

A revenue maximising strategy, surely it's a no-brainer if it means we'll get an extra £100k or whatever it is?

And regards losing the game at PYS and having been turfed out of a Dragons game and an Ospreys one, I'm looking forward to finally being chucked out of a home Scarlets game. Just the Blues for the clean-sweep. So on a selfish level I welcome this opportunity.

-------------
If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose.

Date Posted: 26 November 2018 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by PearlJam PearlJam wrote:

A revenue maximising strategy, surely it's a no-brainer if it means we'll get an extra £100k or whatever it is?

And regards losing the game at PYS and having been turfed out of a Dragons game and an Ospreys one, I'm looking forward to finally being chucked out of a home Scarlets game. Just the Blues for the clean-sweep. So on a selfish level I welcome this opportunity.

Why don't we play 5 or 6 of our games there then? And get a cool half million?

Posted By: ap sior
Date Posted: 26 November 2018 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

1. Are they more, or less, pleasant than Wales matches? (Probably more 'genuine' rugby fans, but maybe more risk of 'unpleasantness' from rival supporters).

The Welsh Rugby Union has revealed a new four-year deal for Judgement Day that involves the Scarlets and Ospreys surrendering home fixtures in the future. It's a move away from the previous six years, that saw the Cardiff Blues and Dragons regularly give up a home fixture for the regions' big day out at the Principality Stadium.

Previously, the gate receipts have been split evenly between the two home sides but in a significant move, all four regions are now part of the agreement.

The ticket profits will also be split differently, with the home teams pocketing 80% and the away sides taking home 20%.

The WRU hopes to work with the Guinness PRO14 to ensure that the teams with 11 home league games that particular season are the nominated home teams on Judgement Day, ensuring all four regions have 10 league games at their home ground per season. Another advancement sees prices for season ticket holders of the away teams frozen at £10 per head or £5 concession for under-16s. Home team season tickets will continue to include Judgement Day.

“We have evolved our approach to the Judgement Day concept over the years, it has become a must-see attraction in Welsh rugby’s annual calendar and a celebration of the regional game,” said WRU chief executive Martyn Phillips.

“We have been working hard on ensuring that the event goes from strength to strength and a fundamentally collaborative approach, ensuring all four teams are now fully incentivised financially as well as competitively on the field, is the way forward.

“Judgement Day attendances have now broken the 60,000 mark for the last three years in a row, this is consistently the top fixture in the Guinness PRO14 calendar and we will be doing everything in our power to ensure it comes back even bigger and better at the culmination of a huge season for Welsh rugby ahead of RWC 2019.”

The next instalment of Judgement Day has been confirmed for April 27 when the Dragons will face the Scarlets at 3pm before the Cardiff Blues against the Ospreys at 5:15pm.

As the final round of action before the post season, it could be the final chance for Warren Gatland and his coaching staff to get a look at the players before selecting his squad for the 2019 Rugby World Cup, almost creating a trial situation.

Posted By: Wasp
Date Posted: 26 November 2018 at 6:32pm
JD is crap. No atmosphere. At least half the crowd have no investment in the teams playing and are just there to experience the stadium.

Awful beer is £5/ pint as well

-------------
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh

Date Posted: 26 November 2018 at 6:33pm
And it's 100 miles each way and costs a packet to get there!!!

-------------

Date Posted: 26 November 2018 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

Tenner on a bus?

Posted By: greypower1
Date Posted: 26 November 2018 at 6:51pm
Good for the City of Cardiff bad for the town of Llanelli. The richer get richer the poor plodder.

-------------
Keep the faith

Posted By: sreve19
Date Posted: 26 November 2018 at 6:52pm
ago at 6:32pm Quote Wasp Quote Post Reply Reply
JD is crap. No atmosphere. At least half the crowd have no investment in the teams playing and are just there to experience the stadium.

And our stadium beer is awful , just slightly cheaper. 🤔

Date Posted: 26 November 2018 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by sreve19 sreve19 wrote:

ago at 6:32pm Quote Wasp Quote Post Reply Reply

And our stadium beer is awful , just slightly cheaper. 🤔

Yes but as you know Steve, I can have a pint or two of Gold in the Sessile Oak first, and have Mal drive me home. He won’t do that in Cardiff

-------------

Date Posted: 26 November 2018 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Tenner on a bus?
What bus?

-------------

Date Posted: 26 November 2018 at 7:28pm
I can live with it if Nigel Short tells me that there’s a significant cash boost. I don’t believe it does anything to grow our fan base though. If anything it makes it harder to form the habit of regular attendance at PYS. The season is fractured enough already.

I will concede that it does get a fair chunk of publicity

-------------

Posted By: SAV
Date Posted: 26 November 2018 at 7:30pm
Thats our xmas game down the pan then .

-------------
as all the coaches left stradey , bound for nottingham , a sign on the m4 at hendy said , please can the last person close the door behind them , memories

Posted By: PearlJam
Date Posted: 26 November 2018 at 7:32pm

Was that an option then? Childish.

-------------
If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose.

Posted By: Winston
Date Posted: 26 November 2018 at 8:45pm
I’m not a fan of playing home fixtures away!   Travel. Parking. Different seats.   It’s a very bad idea and all for money. Sod the fans

Posted By: Sosban bach
Date Posted: 26 November 2018 at 9:04pm
Yea not a fan of this idea

Date Posted: 26 November 2018 at 9:12pm
I can get a train from Llanharan to Cardiff in 20 mins. Last Friday our journey to PYS took 2 hours. But I’d still prefer that to Cardiff. If I wanted to watch rugby in Cardiff I’d support the Blues

Posted By: Bryn@man
Date Posted: 26 November 2018 at 9:44pm
Never been to one one of these pantomime events but know quite a few who do so without fail. Typically JD is the only time they'll pay out any shekels to watch pro rugby in the season. If it makes commercial sense then so be it. Hopefully this will mean that we get back to having the odd meaningful game at Dave Parade again...

Date Posted: 26 November 2018 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by SAV SAV wrote:

Thats our xmas game down the pan then .

That won’t happen

-------------

Date Posted: 26 November 2018 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by Winston Winston wrote:

I’m not a fan of playing home fixtures away!   Travel. Parking. Different seats.   It’s a very bad idea and all for money. Sod the fans

The whole idea of building PYS was to monetise it.
I’ll wait and see what the details look like, if we make big dosh etc.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 November 2018 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by PearlJam PearlJam wrote:

Was that an option then? Childish.

Cool beans

Date Posted: 26 November 2018 at 10:03pm
Why not reduce the cost of the ST to reflect that there are only 10 home matches    If anyone want to go to JD they just pay. Rather than force us to this pantomime in order to maximum our ST cost. It’s a joke

Date Posted: 26 November 2018 at 10:15pm
When Gloucester’s new Stand was started we played the last league match at Ashton Gate - against Bristol as it happened. We were offered the cost of the rail ticket. A coach. Or the money back. We were not expected to go. Given no choice.   We were offered a choice

Date Posted: 26 November 2018 at 10:41pm

When Gloucester’s new Stand was started we played the last league match at Ashton Gate - against Bristol as it happened. We were offered the cost of the rail ticket. A coach. Or the money back. We were not expected to go. Given no choice.   We were offered a choice

Wasn't Gloucester owned by a billionaire family then?

-------------

Date Posted: 26 November 2018 at 10:47pm

Why not reduce the cost of the ST to reflect that there are only 10 home matches    If anyone want to go to JD they just pay. Rather than force us to this pantomime in order to maximum our ST cost. It’s a joke

The point is that there will be 11 hone fixtures, it's just that one of them will be at PS. As Martyn Phillips' press release said, this game will be covered by the cost of the season ticket.

Posted By: Gastric Band
Date Posted: 27 November 2018 at 12:55am

"The point is that there will be 11 hone fixtures, it's just that one of them will be at PS". Is this a windup comment? Does it mean that home games can be played anywhere, as long as they are called home games and admission is covered by a season ticket it is fine.

-------------
Gastric

Posted By: ScarletBear
Date Posted: 27 November 2018 at 1:03am
Mixed opinion on it, but generally I do like Judgement Day as an event. And while I dislike losing a game from Y Parc, I think it unfair that I expect the Dragons to lose a home game each time too. With 80% or 20% of gate receipts on offer too, then the cash benefit is pretty solid.

-------------
Scarlets before Wales

Posted By: ladram
Date Posted: 27 November 2018 at 7:32am
that's the way to go,give up one of the few occasions the parc gets filled.

Posted By: Mogwen
Date Posted: 27 November 2018 at 7:37am
Its down to money. If its more profitable for the club, great. If not, whats the point. Most people have to travel to the home games from dustance anyway, so a little further wont matter. Plus you get a chance to watch the blues stuff the ospreys too.

-------------
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Date Posted: 27 November 2018 at 7:40am
Originally posted by Mogwen Mogwen wrote:

Its down to money. If its more profitable for the club, great. If not, whats the point. Most people have to travel to the home games from dustance anyway, so a little further wont matter. Plus you get a chance to watch the blues stuff the ospreys too.
we will be playing the ospreys not the blues.

Posted By: minded
Date Posted: 27 November 2018 at 7:42am
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Uh no we won't

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPnAh1r0V9YMx4LjUAXI1AUts5jgBck9u" rel="nofollow - Scarlets Tries of the Season 2009 - 2022

Posted By: Rob o'r Bont
Date Posted: 27 November 2018 at 8:00am
How much money do the Blues and Dragons make on this event each year?  A quick calculation - say 50k tickets sold at £10 each.  That's £500k split 80% goes East and 20% goes West.

So Blues and Dragons each get £200k per year (which is enough to fund a quality experienced player) and Scarlets /Ospreys each get £50k per year.

It's a no brainer, we had to do it - plus we all get to sit together and create a Scarlets atmosphere at the PS.  

-------------
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.

Posted By: turkishrebel
Date Posted: 27 November 2018 at 8:15am
just think its a rubbish decision. hope they give season ticket holders the option of money back for that 1 game. the season was based on games in PYS not up that stadium with all the idiots in it. have been a few times to the JD and have not enjoyed them, its getting like the internationals and the idiot drunks there who are there for the drink.
I thought the reason to have season tickets is for HOME games and to fill PYS. if its going down that way, why not share with another team their stadium.
Whether its money or not and I cant see up making much on it to be honest as the attendance is usually 50000 and that divided by 4 and then the cut of the union taken off it what is the difference? tickets will be cut down as well to £10 or £5 so that profit will go for that too.

Also I thought scarlets play home games in PYS

-------------
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!

Date Posted: 27 November 2018 at 8:43am
Originally posted by turkishrebel turkishrebel wrote:

just think its a rubbish decision. hope they give season ticket holders the option of money back for that 1 game. the season was based on games in PYS not up that stadium with all the idiots in it. have been a few times to the JD and have not enjoyed them, its getting like the internationals and the idiot drunks there who are there for the drink.
I thought the reason to have season tickets is for HOME games and to fill PYS. if its going down that way, why not share with another team their stadium.
Whether its money or not and I cant see up making much on it to be honest as the attendance is usually 50000 and that divided by 4 and then the cut of the union taken off it what is the difference? tickets will be cut down as well to £10 or £5 so that profit will go for that too.

Also I thought scarlets play home games in PYS

General ticket prices, which have been frozen at £10 for the last three years, are increasing for the 2019 event, however, the introduction of an ‘early bird’ offer will ensure tickets also remain available at the frozen price (which includes £5 concession) to all supporters, if bought in the lower tier before Tuesday 4th December.

General prices are £25 middle tier (£10 concession) and revert to £15 for both lower and upper tier adult tickets after the ‘early bird’ lower tier offer ends - with the £10, U16 concession ticket remaining to ensure the family event is accessible for all..

Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 27 November 2018 at 9:46am
I use the old Swalec Cup trips to that there capital as my point of reference.
Doesn't quite get me by, but it helps, as will being able to buy seats in an area together...could get loud and messy.

Posted By: Raised By Peregos
Date Posted: 27 November 2018 at 9:52am
100-mile round trip is nothing. We do a 150-mile round trip every home game, and on a Friday because of the Brynglas tunnels and Port Talbot onwards, the whole trip takes upwards of 7 hours. 

I think you could all manage to go to Cardiff, on a Saturday, once a season. 

Date Posted: 27 November 2018 at 10:05am
Originally posted by Raised By Peregos Raised By Peregos wrote:

100-mile round trip is nothing. We do a 150-mile round trip every home game, and on a Friday because of the Brynglas tunnels and Port Talbot onwards, the whole trip takes upwards of 7 hours. 

I think you could all manage to go to Cardiff, on a Saturday, once a season. 
Clap

-------------

Date Posted: 27 November 2018 at 10:06am
One game every other season will not hurt us & we should get more money in the pocket that we do at the moment.

Date Posted: 27 November 2018 at 10:14am
Originally posted by minded minded wrote:

Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Uh no we won't
sorry,misunderstood the situation.Embarrassed

Posted By: crj89
Date Posted: 27 November 2018 at 10:24am
Silly question by me... We all have different tier season tickets, some of us have programmes, hospitality, clubhouse access etc.

Will we get the same privileges at the Principality? Hospitality for Hospitality?

Posted By: Speedy
Date Posted: 27 November 2018 at 10:29am
Judgment day is a nightmare. Parc y Scarlets is far better for singing and atmosphere for the derby games.

I would have kept it as it was.

so now we will only see the Os in Llanelli, and the Scarlets at the Liberty once every two years. think about that guys.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN7pGq1i2jhev2YLcZ89h7Q/videos" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN7pGq1i2jhev2YLcZ89h7Q/videos

Posted By: diego6754
Date Posted: 27 November 2018 at 10:32am
Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

Judgment day is a nightmare. Parc y Scarlets is far better for singing and atmosphere for the derby games.

so now we will only see the Os in Llanelli, and the Scarlets at the Liberty once every two years. think about that guys.

I don't think we are playing the O's in Judgement Day. It's still Blues or Dragons, it just counts as our home game. Ospreys fixture is still protected as far as I understand.

Date Posted: 27 November 2018 at 10:34am

No, no, no. At present we are playing all 3 other regions home and away. Away currently does mean away.

On alternating years going forward, one of those home games is played in the national stadium.

For arguments sake say next season Judgement Day is our home game against the Blues, we'll still have Dragons and Os coming to PYS. The year after it reverses and it's now Blues home game, we then get all three visiting PYS that season.

At no point as far as i'm aware are they planning on us playing the Os in Cardiff. In fact the way the conferences are at present it's impossible because us and them have 11 home games in the same season.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPnAh1r0V9YMx4LjUAXI1AUts5jgBck9u" rel="nofollow - Scarlets Tries of the Season 2009 - 2022

Posted By: Mrfwon
Date Posted: 27 November 2018 at 10:40am
JD is proving to be a popular event, glowing season upon season. If one game every other season is going to generate more income for the regions, then it is well worth a try for sure.

There are always going to be positives for and negatives against for sure, but if the regions market the event well, make getting to and from the event as seamless as possible, and for the right price, then it's well worth a go for sure.

-------------
Scarlets!!!

Date Posted: 27 November 2018 at 10:43am
A very quick scan of the trainline shows return available for £15.80.

Date Posted: 27 November 2018 at 10:51am

You get a lot of people turning up for only the one game (myself included in the few times i've been).

There was one incident when I was sat with Llandre turning up as the first game was finishing, and this family behind us had clearly attended for the first game, the bloke later started chanting for the Dragons (playing against us) presumably trying to annoy us and when we didn't show signs of getting annoyed he started verbally abusing us and offering us "outside" despite having his wife and youngish kid with him LOL she dragged him out then and he kept chopsing all the way to the staircase, really bizarre it was.

-------------

Posted By: Mrfwon
Date Posted: 27 November 2018 at 11:08am

No, no, no. At present we are playing all 3 other regions home and away. Away currently does mean away.

On alternating years going forward, one of those home games is played in the national stadium.

For arguments sake say next season Judgement Day is our home game against the Blues, we'll still have Dragons and Os coming to PYS. The year after it reverses and it's now Blues home game, we then get all three visiting PYS that season.

At no point as far as i'm aware are they planning on us playing the Os in Cardiff. In fact the way the conferences are at present it's impossible because us and them have 11 home games in the same season.

That's how I've read it as well. I think people have miss-read the article thinking that the Scarlets and Ospreys have committed to playing each other at the PS, which isn't the case.

-------------
Scarlets!!!

Posted By: Sosban bach
Date Posted: 27 November 2018 at 11:19am
It has and always will be a poo day if you want a proper rugby atmosphere, hence I treat it as an all dayer in Cardiff with some mates. Forget singing. This shouldn’t be classed as a home game and the blues get an away fixture at home like so many complained about the Leinster situation.

Posted By: Owen111
Date Posted: 27 November 2018 at 11:33am
The only regret i've had for the last 3 times is buying tickets around a month or 2 before and sitting way up in the gods. 

Not a fan really, the fans of the teams who are not playing just talk all game like theyre in the pub which created a noisy atmosphere and hard to concentrate on game when you're sitting so far back!

Posted By: Speedy
Date Posted: 27 November 2018 at 11:43am

Ah thanks, I was worried there. In that case I dont see a problem with it.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN7pGq1i2jhev2YLcZ89h7Q/videos" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN7pGq1i2jhev2YLcZ89h7Q/videos

Date Posted: 27 November 2018 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by Gastric Band Gastric Band wrote:

"The point is that there will be 11 hone fixtures, it's just that one of them will be at PS". Is this a windup comment? Does it mean that home games can be played anywhere, as long as they are called home games and admission is covered by a season ticket it is fine.

Calm down a little please. I could have worded it a little better. ST holders will not have to pay for the 'home fixture' at PS. 

Posted By: supertaf
Date Posted: 27 November 2018 at 4:30pm
Just for a comparison, look at the crowds the english teams get when they take rugby to Twickenham or Wembley. Full houses usually (tickets being cheap though I think). I wonder if their fans love or hate it?

-------------
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872

Date Posted: 27 November 2018 at 4:46pm

You get a lot of people turning up for only the one game (myself included in the few times i've been).

There was one incident when I was sat with Llandre turning up as the first game was finishing, and this family behind us had clearly attended for the first game, the bloke later started chanting for the Dragons (playing against us) presumably trying to annoy us and when we didn't show signs of getting annoyed he started verbally abusing us and offering us "outside" despite having his wife and youngish kid with him LOL she dragged him out then and he kept chopsing all the way to the staircase, really bizarre it was.

So, were you sat at the very back of the Scarlets section, or are the fans not segregated? In a way, I'd hate for rugby to go the same way as soccer, but I also could do without aggro from idiots.

-------------
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)

Posted By: NobbySosban
Date Posted: 27 November 2018 at 4:53pm
Understand all the arguments about losing a home fixture - entirely valid viewpoint - but if there is a commercial imperative to commit, for one game every other season (especially with the current PRO14 construct with alternating 10/11 home games per season), the sacrifice has to be balanced with the benefits.

The concept of JD appeals to me as an occasional long-distance fan - being able to watch all 4 Regions in one value-priced event in central Cardiff is attractive - although my 2 previous attendances have been a bit mixed. When barely-interested, well-oiled spectators with short attention spans start cheering paper planes launched from the top tier louder than the action on the pitch, it detracts from what should be a great event.

Date Posted: 27 November 2018 at 4:57pm
I quite enjoy it, atmosphere is a bit flat but kids like it, Mrs enjoys a day out shopping. It makes a nice change. Never experienced that much nobbish behaviour....may be I've been lucky. Kids with trumpets do my head in though!!

Date Posted: 27 November 2018 at 5:57pm

So, were you sat at the very back of the Scarlets section, or are the fans not segregated? In a way, I'd hate for rugby to go the same way as soccer, but I also could do without aggro from idiots.
We weren't sat within the Scarlets allocation for that one, if i have any recollection it was because the allocation was terrible seats on the lower tier and i refuse to sit there. Generally though it's bit of a free for all. 

-------------

Date Posted: 27 November 2018 at 6:27pm
Clearly it’s a personal choice. I prefer that the match would not be part of the ST. Those that want to attend the panto just buy a ticket. This is bullying members to try and increase attendance at the panto

Posted By: Eastern outpost
Date Posted: 27 November 2018 at 8:57pm
On a different tack, with the mention of alternating between 10 and 11 home games per season, does this mean the addition of two more SA side’s is not going to happen?

-------------

Date Posted: 27 November 2018 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

How much money do the Blues and Dragons make on this event each year?  A quick calculation - say 50k tickets sold at £10 each.  That's £500k split 80% goes East and 20% goes West.

So Blues and Dragons each get £200k per year (which is enough to fund a quality experienced player) and Scarlets /Ospreys each get £50k per year.

It's a no brainer, we had to do it - plus we all get to sit together and create a Scarlets atmosphere at the PS.  

The WRU also take a cut, I thought it was 1/3 of the gate, plus they keep the bar takings

-------------

Posted By: scarletsrules
Date Posted: 27 November 2018 at 10:32pm

The WRU also take a cut, I thought it was 1/3 of the gate, plus they keep the bar takings

At present the profit from Judgement Day is split between the drags and blues as they give up their home fixture and us and Os get nothing. Under the new deal whoever has their 'home' fixture at judgement day that year will get 80% profit and the 'away' team gets 20% profit.

I can hardly ever go to judgement day as it clashes with my club rugby commitments. If we had a home kick off at 5.30 in PYS i can make it but up in Cardiff I got no chance I think I've attended 2. I don't like the thought of losing a home game against one of our rivals who do attract the bigger crowds. Blues and Ospreys do always tend to attract over 10k to PYS it's only the Dragons which varies between 7k-9k so surely we would be better off keeping it as it is.

It is what it is however and aslong as they don't expect to put the cost of season tickets up when we have less games in our season ticket package I won't complain to much

Posted By: Scarletstarch
Date Posted: 27 November 2018 at 10:44pm

Three of us with two of our Grandsons went a few years ago and never again, Dragons v Scarlets was the second game and we were sitting in front of some rude, drunk Ospreys' ladies (if you could call them that) who were intent in disrupting and spoiling our enjoyment of the game, they were throwing missiles and spilling beer over all the crowd in front of them and actually hit one of us with one of the things they were throwing, my friend complained to the Stewards and was told "bit awkward love as they're women" so nothing was done to stop them! Stern SmileUnhappyDisapprove

-------------
"YMA O HYD"

Date Posted: 28 November 2018 at 8:59am
Originally posted by scarletsrules scarletsrules wrote:

.........It is what it is however and as long as they don't expect to put the cost of season tickets up when we have less games in our season ticket package I won't complain to much
There is an irony here as the whole point of JD is to bring more money into the region which will enable season tickets to be kept at a reasonable price.  It would be interesting to hear people's thoughts on whether they would be happy to retain these home games at Parc y Scarlets at the expense of season tickets being increased to say £500 per year for instance to cover the lost revenue.

Lets have a people's vote on it.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 November 2018 at 9:05am
I’d like more matches at PYS on the ST. I guess the English premiership is spoiled. 14 matches included. More money of course   Did the saracens ST holders get compensation when they play home matches abroad I wonder

Posted By: GPR - Rochester
Date Posted: 28 November 2018 at 9:16am

I’d like more matches at PYS on the ST. I guess the English premiership is spoiled. 14 matches included. More money of course   Did the saracens ST holders get compensation when they play home matches abroad I wonder

We have 14 games this year on our ST.

Date Posted: 28 November 2018 at 9:21am
Really. Please tell more. And I’m not talking pre season friendlies as they were extra. I’m talking 11 league and 3 European.

Date Posted: 28 November 2018 at 9:30am

Really. Please tell more. And I’m not talking pre season friendlies as they were extra. I’m talking 11 league and 3 European.

I am a little confused. We have this season available on our ST 11 pro 14 games & 3 Heineken cup ties. 

Date Posted: 28 November 2018 at 9:34am
My apologies. I’ll have to check. If only there was a fixture card produced !   So why are others saying that 11 league games will be down to 10 when we have one in Cardiff

Date Posted: 28 November 2018 at 9:41am

My apologies. I’ll have to check. If only there was a fixture card produced !   So why are others saying that 11 league games will be down to 10 when we have one in Cardiff

As there are 21 games per season at the moment in the pro 14 we had 10 home games last season with 11 this. It is being proposed from 2019/20 season onwards that Judgement Day fixtures are changed from being exclusively replacement home fixtures for the Dragons & Blues to alternate home fixtures for all four Welsh regions allowing all 4 regions to participate in the financial benefits of JD. This would then mean that all regions would still get 10 actual home games per season & alternate season home game at JD. This season we have 14 home games for our ST at PYS, last season it was 13 & for future seasons it will remain consistently at 13. 

Date Posted: 28 November 2018 at 11:26am

At present the profit from Judgement Day is split between the drags and blues as they give up their home fixture and us and Os get nothing. Under the new deal whoever has their 'home' fixture at judgement day that year will get 80% profit and the 'away' team gets 20% profit.

I can hardly ever go to judgement day as it clashes with my club rugby commitments. If we had a home kick off at 5.30 in PYS i can make it but up in Cardiff I got no chance I think I've attended 2. I don't like the thought of losing a home game against one of our rivals who do attract the bigger crowds. Blues and Ospreys do always tend to attract over 10k to PYS it's only the Dragons which varies between 7k-9k so surely we would be better off keeping it as it is.

It is what it is however and aslong as they don't expect to put the cost of season tickets up when we have less games in our season ticket package I won't complain to much
My point was that the profit is not the same as the gate money. WRU take a sizeable cut currently.

So if there are 50000 tickets sold (on top of ST holders) at £10, that's around £8 excluding VAT, so £400k to split between WRU and the 2 "home teams" as it currently stands. 

So it's a nice chunk. Maybe £130k each?

For comparison if we sold 7000 tickets (on top of ST holders) for our game with Cardiff, average £12 after VAT, that's £84,000 in tickets plus the profit on food and drink for the day, hospitality etc. I guess we'd hope to clear £100,000 for a Derby? 

I don't think it's game changing financially, but I have taken a very simplistic view here, admittedly

-------------

Date Posted: 28 November 2018 at 11:30am
Originally posted by Scarletstarch Scarletstarch wrote:

Three of us with two of our Grandsons went a few years ago and never again, Dragons v Scarlets was the second game and we were sitting in front of some rude, drunk Ospreys' ladies (if you could call them that) who were intent in disrupting and spoiling our enjoyment of the game, they were throwing missiles and spilling beer over all the crowd in front of them and actually hit one of us with one of the things they were throwing, my friend complained to the Stewards and was told "bit awkward love as they're women" so nothing was done to stop them! Stern SmileUnhappyDisapprove

Great, isn't it?Confused

-------------

Date Posted: 28 November 2018 at 12:02pm

My point was that the profit is not the same as the gate money. WRU take a sizeable cut currently.

So if there are 50000 tickets sold (on top of ST holders) at £10, that's around £8 excluding VAT, so £400k to split between WRU and the 2 "home teams" as it currently stands. 

For comparison if we sold 7000 tickets (on top of ST holders) for our game with Cardiff, average £12 after VAT, that's £84,000 in tickets plus the profit on food and drink for the day, hospitality etc. I guess we'd hope to clear £100,000 for a Derby? 

I don't think it's game changing financially, but I have taken a very simplistic view here, admittedly

I think it is game changing.  What about Sponsorship (much greater exposure for sponsors on JD), Hospitality (huge opportunity for businesses to entertain) food and drink, programmes and merchandise sales etc at the JD event.  

-------------

Date Posted: 28 November 2018 at 2:57pm

I think it is game changing.  What about Sponsorship (much greater exposure for sponsors on JD), Hospitality (huge opportunity for businesses to entertain) food and drink, programmes and merchandise sales etc at the JD event.  

Will we be entitled to this cash though ? Opening the stadium for an event does incur costs which mus be covered, and we may have to bear those for our 'home' game. I suspect that the costs of opening the PS for a match day far exceeds opening PyS.

Date Posted: 28 November 2018 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

Will we be entitled to this cash though ? Opening the stadium for an event does incur costs which mus be covered, and we may have to bear those for our 'home' game. I suspect that the costs of opening the PS for a match day far exceeds opening PyS.
It's a bit like Brexit isn't it.  Nobody quite knows what figures to count so difficult to make a judgement.  I'm reasonably confident that we wouldn't have agreed to this new deal unless it made good business sense.

As for those who are not happy and want to keep this game at PYS, it reminds me a bit of a few years ago when I went into my local on a Saturday night and there were a few guys there playing darts in an almost empty bar.  I said guys, you should be going into town, living it up and finding some bad women.  The reply I got was 'if they want us, they know where to find us'. Confused Smile

Just like the lads playing darts in he pub, we could stay at PYS for this one game and totally miss a great opportunity to grow our support, improve our cash flow and try out a totally new JD where we are the home team, fans all sat together and raising the roof (unless its already open).

-------------

Posted By: LLANDRE
Date Posted: 29 November 2018 at 11:03pm
I dislike Judgment day with a passion.    Absolute no atmosphere;   watched by a lot of people who woudnt know the difference between a knock on or a forward pass.   As they say in Welsh. Diwedd y gan yw'r geinog.

-------------
West is Best (Fin gwybod)

Date Posted: 30 November 2018 at 9:54am
Originally posted by LLANDRE LLANDRE wrote:

I dislike Judgment with a passion.    Absolute no atmosphere    watched by a lot of people who woudnt know the difference between a knock out or a forward pass.   As they say in Welsh. Diwedd y gan yw'r geinog.

I'm pro judgement day. I agree the atmosphere is pretty awful. I just think it attracts a lot of people who wouldn't usually watch regional rugby and that's a good thing. It's not some elite club reserved for the hardcore and informed. If you can convert a small percentage of those especially the kids in to match day attendance at PyS, The Liberty, CAP or Dave Parade then its a success whilst being moderately financially beneficial to the regions. 

It also allows a lot of fans (such as me) to take the wife and all the kids to the stadium which at £65 a pop on international days is not going to happen, and the kids really enjoy it, and they enjoy seeing the boys play at the stadium. And yes my wife probably doesn't know the complexities of the rules (she does know the difference between a knock on and a forward pass) and I cringe at some of the things that she and others shout but I think there is a bigger picture here!

Posted By: Sant
Date Posted: 30 November 2018 at 11:43am
As far as I can see this is generally bad news for the Scarlet supporter. There is increased travelling, poor atmosphere, increased costs. The additional attendance mainly come from the Cardiff and Newport Region who will generally support the Blues and Dragons. If you decide to watch the game in the pub instead of making the trip (as I will) then the economic benefit of purchasing a season ticket is reduced.  

I hope it works out for the Scarlets but personally I'm disappointed in the decision.

-------------
Then raise the scarlet standard high.
Within its shade we'll live and die,
Though cowards flinch and traitors sneer,
We'll keep the red flag flying here.

Posted By: turkishrebel
Date Posted: 30 November 2018 at 4:46pm
Has anyone bought tickets yet for this year's game? If so where from and which part of the ground?

-------------
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!

Date Posted: 30 November 2018 at 4:50pm
I think I need to catch up. So when is it one of our home games. This season or next?

Date Posted: 30 November 2018 at 6:09pm

I think I need to catch up. So when is it one of our home games. This season or next?
Most likely the season after next, as next year we’re back down to 10 home league games.

If the P14 fixtures follow the same pattern as last 2 years!

-------------

Date Posted: 30 November 2018 at 6:18pm
Ah ok. Thanks for that. So it’s 10 home one year and 11 the next?   Plus 3 European?

Posted By: 157cb
Date Posted: 30 November 2018 at 6:34pm

I like Judgement Day  its the atmosphere that's poor, with  regards this season we need us as Scarlets supporters to organise  and purchase a block together to create our unique atmosphere .

Date Posted: 30 November 2018 at 7:01pm
Personally I'm really shocked by how this has been taken by the majority of our fans.

Do people not remember the Roger Lewis years? We campaigned in our beautiful stadium to protest against the very things like this - home games being taken away from us and the lack of our destiny being in our own hands. Maybe I'm out of touch these days.

It's a slippery slope.

Posted By: LLANDRE
Date Posted: 30 November 2018 at 10:48pm
I'm in agreement with you Kid A
We have a lovely stadium which we need to utilise as much as possible. The knock on advantages to the local economy are a big bonus   when we have home games with good attendances. Cardiff is a booming city anyway . Let's make our own home flourish   before we start   having time shares in Cardiff.

-------------
West is Best (Fin gwybod)

Date Posted: 02 December 2018 at 3:57pm
Lets put this into perspective, we are talking about moving one Blues home game to the PS once every four years and moving one Dragons home game to the PS once every four years. Thats it.  In return we will receive much needed revenue, well in excess of what we would have received had we played the game at PYS. That alone is a fair deal in my humble opinion, but there will be so many other positive spin offs that we really can't afford not to do this. 

And the extra revenue will help us build a squad that will enable us to compete to win knock out games in Europe and the Pro14, so in fact we will be trading one home game for the potential to win one, two maybe even three home games in the knock out stages in future.  The 'stay as we are' option is not an option in my opinion, not unless supporters want to pay a lot more for their match day experience at PYS, or be content with being 'also rans'.

We are not the ones responsible for building a top flight team and also having the responsibility of paying the bills every month. If we were, then I doubt any of us would complain about this deal.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 December 2018 at 4:07pm
I have no problem with that analysis as long as the ST is discounted to recognise one fewer home game

Date Posted: 02 December 2018 at 4:15pm

I have no problem with that analysis as long as the ST is discounted to recognise one fewer home game
You have inadvertently highlighted the problem there Winston, People want a Rolls Royce but don't want to pay Rolls Royce prices.

I have no problem with the ST prices staying as they are, they are already cheap as chips.  This is why we need to go to the PS - it allows the club to keep selling the STs at bargain bucket prices to our loyal fans. They are trying to buy a Rolls Royce whilst not expecting the fans to pay Rolls Royce prices.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 December 2018 at 4:41pm
Sadly the Pro14 with some notable exceptions do not have the money of the eng prem or French 14. That’s why we lose welsh players. STs are twice as much in England. And even then clubs are heamorrhaging money

Date Posted: 02 December 2018 at 4:44pm
Next season will be, by far, the best funded squad in Wales. 

-------------

Date Posted: 02 December 2018 at 4:48pm
When he spoke at the CRYS16 AGM this year, Mark Davies told us that wage inflation in rugby is running at 26%.

That's where the money is going. Sadly I feel that too many players see it as a short 'career'. I can only assume therefore that some are trying to earn a lifetime's income in 15 years. 

Perhaps more of them should plan their careers beyond rugby. Jamie Roberts has done so, Gwyn Jones was doing so, AWJ has a law degree, Preistland has a degree, can't remember in what now. There is a life beyond 35, when a rugby career usually ends. 

Perhaps this realisation needs to dawn on some current players.

Date Posted: 02 December 2018 at 4:52pm
Not as bad as football but in comparison with the money that comes in wages are far too high

Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 02 December 2018 at 5:03pm
I doubt that’s the players or the Welsh Rugby Union doing.

Date Posted: 02 December 2018 at 5:07pm
Shall we blame the agents then

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net