URL: https://scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=45055
Printed Date: 28 March 2024 at 12:17pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Priestland leaving Bath at end of season
Posted By: Mrfwon
Subject: Priestland leaving Bath at end of season
Date Posted: 08 January 2019 at 8:24pm
This could be interesting:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/rugby-union/46799702" rel="nofollow - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/rugby-union/46799702

-------------
Scarlets!!!

Replies:
Posted By: Beefs army
Date Posted: 08 January 2019 at 8:46pm
Bring him back

-------------
Bill Shankly: "If you can't support us when we lose or draw, don't support us when we win."

Posted By: Llanelliman
Date Posted: 08 January 2019 at 9:44pm
Worth a punt ? Still has a contribution to make me thinks ..... Will/could it be with us ?

-------------
Made in Seaside, Llanelli

Posted By: Huwbach
Date Posted: 08 January 2019 at 10:49pm
Already being discussed in signings...

No harm in his own thread though. When he left he held my boy for a photo and I asked him to come back one day. He said maybe, one day.

If he does come it would be a waste for one of the 10s - we don’t need three of that quality. If he came back to play 10/15 maybe. Depends on Mc Nichol and Halfpenny too.

I can see an English club being keen though and he’s been living the high life up there. Hard to come back to deepest Carms as a youngish man unless he’s planning on settling down or taking up farming. 😉

We’ll see.

Posted By: Grammar School Boy
Date Posted: 09 January 2019 at 3:49am
Depends on the cost

Posted By: Fscarlet
Date Posted: 09 January 2019 at 8:44am
Originally posted by Grammar School Boy Grammar School Boy wrote:

Depends on the cost

Trouble is the regions don't know their budget for next year....

Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 09 January 2019 at 8:50am
Originally posted by Huwbach Huwbach wrote:

Already being discussed in signings...

No harm in his own thread though. When he left he held my boy for a photo and I asked him to come back one day. He said maybe, one day.

If he does come it would be a waste for one of the 10s - we don’t need three of that quality. If he came back to play 10/15 maybe. Depends on Mc Nichol and Halfpenny too.

I can see an English club being keen though and he’s been living the high life up there. Hard to come back to deepest Carms as a youngish man unless he’s planning on settling down or taking up farming. 😉 Doesn’t he live in Cardiff?

We’ll see.

Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 09 January 2019 at 9:20am
He's never moved from Cardiff, when playing for us or Bath.

Posted By: aber-fan
Date Posted: 09 January 2019 at 1:05pm
Does Rhys have kids? He's a Cymro Cymraeg, and many of us do move back to bring our kids up speaking Welsh (I sort of think that may have been a factor in Stevo's return) - if he's in that position, he may at the least want to stay based in Cardiff, which would mean a Welsh region or a team not too far over the border...

Of course, if he's still single that would not be a factor ATM.

Could be a great signing if it happens, and he stays reasonably free of injury...

-------------
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)

Posted By: GPR - Rochester
Date Posted: 09 January 2019 at 1:38pm
Its Bristol then - sorted. 

Posted By: scarletsbeno1
Date Posted: 09 January 2019 at 1:55pm
Bristol? Strange

Posted By: turkishrebel
Date Posted: 09 January 2019 at 2:04pm
not got 60 caps has he and if he still thinks he can get in the welsh squad then I would think it would be a welsh region. unless he does want to go for last big pay cheque and I would then think france.

-------------
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!

Posted By: SospanMawr
Date Posted: 09 January 2019 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Where have you heard/seen this?

Posted By: ap sior
Date Posted: 09 January 2019 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Where have you heard/seen this?
I think GPR was responding to Aber's point it being a team not too far across the border !!!

However that could also mean Glaws or Worcester !!

Posted By: cymraes
Date Posted: 09 January 2019 at 2:20pm
derer adref Rhys !  

Date Posted: 09 January 2019 at 2:51pm
He's 32 today actually ( penblwydd hapus).

I'm a fan of having healthy competition in every shirt from 1-15...Rhys would present that to Rhys Patch, where maybe Dan is a shade lower in comparison ( might well come through though).

Having said that I'm also not a great fan of 'going back to your roots' either...in many cases the axis of the decision is often warped by sentiment (both player and club) or a sort of siege mentality that distorts it from being the right decision.

Posted By: henry_winkler
Date Posted: 09 January 2019 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

I'm a fan of having healthy competition in every shirt from 1-15...Rhys would present that to Rhys Patch, where maybe Dan is a shade lower in comparison ( might well come through though).

Having said that I'm also not a great fan of 'going back to your roots' either...in many cases the axis of the decision is often warped by sentiment (both player and club) or a sort of siege mentality that distorts it from being the right decision.

Yes, going back doesn't normally seem to work out.

He should go and enjoy himself behind a massive pack in France whilst earning some big bucks.

Date Posted: 09 January 2019 at 2:58pm
Yes, I think we know how you feel.

Date Posted: 09 January 2019 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by henry_winkler henry_winkler wrote:

Yes, going back doesn't normally seem to work out.

He should go and enjoy himself behind a massive pack in France whilst earning some big bucks.

Worked for Foxy, Stevo, SQ, Dai Hodges. There may be others that I can't think of at present.

Date Posted: 09 January 2019 at 4:42pm
Yep. Not sure we got their best years 2nd time around though?
And that's my point really.
Would they have had the same chance, remuneration etc at another club at that point in their career?

...I'm always concerned when I read the tag 'he's one of ours--bring him home sort of thing'...no such phrase should be uttered in a pro sport board room.

Putting any sentiment aside, looking at our 10 profile (and 15 cover) too, all in all I think Rhys, with the right terms, is a real value add for us.

The guy is a class operator.

Date Posted: 09 January 2019 at 5:18pm

Yep. Not sure we got their best years 2nd time around though?
And that's my point really.
Would they have had the same chance, remuneration etc at another club at that point in their career?

...I'm always concerned when I read the tag 'he's one of ours--bring him home sort of thing'...no such phrase should be uttered in a pro sport board room.

Putting any sentiment aside, looking at our 10 profile (and 15 cover) too, all in all I think Rhys, with the right terms, is a real value add for us.

The guy is a class operator.

I'd say yes with SQ and Dai Hodges. SQ was very young when he left for Wigan.

Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 09 January 2019 at 5:24pm
He would be a great solid squad operator at 10 and 15 with no Wales distractions as well. If any combination of Jonny Mc and/or Dan leave and heaven forbid Leigh is off long term, then the case for a Rhys  is pretty compelling I think.

Posted By: scarletsbeno1
Date Posted: 09 January 2019 at 6:04pm
Good player been injured a lot this year mind.

Posted By: Cofi
Date Posted: 09 January 2019 at 6:22pm
Would love to see Rhys back playing at PYS.
Is there a possibility of some sort of agreement towards joining the coaching team in the future?

Posted By: Mogwen
Date Posted: 09 January 2019 at 6:26pm
I think he will command a big wage, if so, at 32 will not be money well spent. A younger 10 would be a better option long term, and obviovously the pack needs reinforcing.

-------------
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Posted By: Sandman
Date Posted: 09 January 2019 at 6:48pm
Having both Rhys’s here would be some coup. However, I can’t see either of them being second fiddle to the other or even having equal game time on rotation at this stage of their careers.

-------------
Only one team plays in red. (Sorry, Scarlet)

Posted By: Rich (Bris)
Date Posted: 09 January 2019 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by Sandman Sandman wrote:

Having both Rhys’s here would be some coup. However, I can’t see either of them being second fiddle to the other or even having equal game time on rotation at this stage of their careers.

I'm a big fan if both but Rhys junior has now moved comfortably ahead of Rhys Snr in my opinion. Rhys would know he'd be back here as 2nd choice and I think he'd be happy with that and to come back on a salary that wouldn't be that big and less than he'd get elsewhere.

Be great to have him back

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net