Printed Date: 28 March 2024 at 8:09pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Ken Owens Appreciation Thread
Posted By: PritchyTheScarlet
Subject: Ken Owens Appreciation Thread
Date Posted: 12 January 2019 at 11:39pm
The Sheriff is phenomenal. Discuss:

-------------
“Gareth Edwards just ran 30 yards and got a Knighthood, I sidestepped five players and got arthritis in both knees.” - Benny

Replies:
Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 13 January 2019 at 12:18am
Imo 2 man of match performances at 8 . Should it continue ? He has been a revelation at 8. Discuss!🤔

Date Posted: 13 January 2019 at 12:24am
The thing is, we don't lose anything when the Sheriff plays at 8. He's as much of a presence as he would be when starting as hooker. Of course, when Blade returns, he will be at the back at the scrum - but what a job Ken is doing!

-------------
“Gareth Edwards just ran 30 yards and got a Knighthood, I sidestepped five players and got arthritis in both knees.” - Benny

Posted By: Legendinmybathroom
Date Posted: 13 January 2019 at 12:58am
I think we could continue playing Ken at 8 if we were able to bulk up around him. Tonight’s performance showed that Ken’s build, engine and pride in the Scarlets badge is good enough against average sides, but we didn’t dominate the scrums due to our lack of bulk/size around him. If we were up against a huge pack of forwards, like a Leinster, Munster or Saracens, I believe Ken would struggle to be as effective as he has in the past 2 weeks.
The plus from Ken’s performance tonight is the fact that we now know that he can do a job there, if required.
Da iawn Ken, diolch.

Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 13 January 2019 at 4:31am
I don’t think the position he played in should overshadow his heart, huge commitment and leadership by example.

I would say that being at 8 does mean you have the ball a little more, and in slightly wide channels, with those things, well, he didn’t disappoint.

Posted By: onlyturkinthevillage
Date Posted: 13 January 2019 at 6:28am
Ken has fitted into the shirt while we have needed him. The bloke is 100% scarlet every game, whatever position. I enjoyed watching ken and Ryan Elias on the pitch at the same time. Ryan is a quality back up to ken.

Posted By: Why
Date Posted: 13 January 2019 at 7:38am
Originally posted by onlyturkinthevillage onlyturkinthevillage wrote:

Ken has fitted into the shirt while we have needed him. The bloke is 100% scarlet every game, whatever position. I enjoyed watching ken and Ryan Elias on the pitch at the same time. Ryan is a quality back up to ken.

The two best forward ball carriers we have. Ken is a true great of the club up there with the best. His achievements will only be properly appreciated when he retires.

-------------
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.

Posted By: ladram
Date Posted: 13 January 2019 at 8:44am
agree ken has been superb out of position and perhaps when Winston has finished roasting Gloucester players on their forum for being smashed by munster he can acknowledge how well ken has played.

Posted By: 157cb
Date Posted: 13 January 2019 at 9:35am

Scarlets Legend his Ken !

Posted By: diego6754
Date Posted: 13 January 2019 at 10:13am
Absolute hero. A very special Scarlet!

Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 13 January 2019 at 10:39am
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

agree ken has been superb out of position and perhaps when Winston has finished roasting Gloucester players on their forum for being smashed by munster he can acknowledge how well ken has played.

Posted By: Rob o'r Bont
Date Posted: 13 January 2019 at 11:03am
Turned down kickeable penalties to go for the corner mind. Smile

I'll get my coat. Embarrassed

-------------
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.

Posted By: diego6754
Date Posted: 13 January 2019 at 11:13am
Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

Thought Dan Jones was the water boy and we were playing an out of form centre at 10. Confused

Date Posted: 13 January 2019 at 11:21am
Originally posted by diego6754 diego6754 wrote:

Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

Thought Dan Jones was the water boy and we were playing an out of form centre at 10. Confused
Pardon! Dan Jones was 10 yesterday wasn't he and his kicking to the corners was immaculate, as ever, which gave us field position and helped us build a scoreline that couldnt be caught.  Seemed I tried to demonstrate through humour (and failed miserably) that sometimes it's ok to kick to the corners.

-------------

Posted By: Winston
Date Posted: 13 January 2019 at 11:23am
Winston has been in bed sick for a week and missed the match last night.   To put the record straight I don’t believe that I criticised Ken as a player. I criticised the decision making. That was then made clear that it was the coaches that made those decisions and I apologised to ken for my comments. But please don’t allow the truth to get in the way of a good story

Posted By: Eastern outpost
Date Posted: 13 January 2019 at 11:45am
Originally posted by Winston Winston wrote:

Winston has been in bed sick for a week and missed the match last night.   To put the record straight I don’t believe that I criticised Ken as a player. I criticised the decision making. That was then made clear that it was the coaches that made those decisions and I apologised to ken for my comments. But please don’t allow the truth to get in the way of a good story
Get well soon Winston.

-------------

Posted By: Winston
Date Posted: 13 January 2019 at 11:53am
Thank you. Shouldn’t have gone to the Drqgons match but there you are. Scarlets came before my health on that occasion.   No work = no pay so fighting to be back tomorrow    

Posted By: ladram
Date Posted: 13 January 2019 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by Winston Winston wrote:

give him a brain cell?

Posted By: roy munster
Date Posted: 13 January 2019 at 10:58pm
Ken was terrific yesterday, hes always been a greta ball carrier, who knows maybe he will stay at 8 for a while , until some of the others return. I didnt read all the previous posts criticizing him , though I think some criticism was fair enough, such as that about turning down easy kicks at goal in tight games and he had been spilling ball more than usual in some games. But if anyone questioned his commitment then that is crazy. The way he has reacted to the criticism is superb, hes more motivated than ever. Hes a great player,  probably the best scarlet hooker I can recall, always gives massive commitment to everything and an all time scarlet legend.

-------------
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)

Posted By: SospanMawr
Date Posted: 13 January 2019 at 11:26pm
Superman wears Ken Owens pyjamas

Date Posted: 14 January 2019 at 8:56am
Ken Owens and Superman had a fight and the loser had to wear their pants outside their trousers.

-------------

Posted By: SospanMawr
Date Posted: 14 January 2019 at 12:23pm
When he was in school Ken Owens told a boy to stop messing around playing football and just “pick it up and run with it”.
That boy was William Webb Ellis.

Posted By: roy munster
Date Posted: 14 January 2019 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

When he was in school Ken Owens told a boy to stop messing around playing football and just “pick it up and run with it”.
That boy was William Webb Ellis.

True story which makes the sheriff approx 180 odd years old and still competing at the highest level Clap

-------------
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)

Posted By: trident
Date Posted: 14 January 2019 at 8:45pm
Faletau out with a broken arm, 6 nations start at 8 for the Sheriff? 😉

Date Posted: 14 January 2019 at 9:28pm
Sheriff nailed on 8 for Wales LOL

-------------

Posted By: TheKing
Date Posted: 15 January 2019 at 8:47am
I think the most pertinent point is that he is definitely the best 8 that we have, based on performances this year. I’d much rather Ken at 8 and Elias at 2 than Ken at 2 and Uzair at 8 for example. Blade to 6 when he comes back and when Shingler comes back, Blade to the row alongside Ball.

Posted By: cymraes
Date Posted: 15 January 2019 at 9:56am
  Ken will go surely go hown as one of our greatest players of the professional era.  Canonball Ken, The Sheriif, Legend. 

Date Posted: 15 January 2019 at 7:35pm
Joni Mitchell’s Big Yellow Taxi lyrics contained a good line on Ken.

It can be applied to many top players.

“You don’t know what you’ve got til it’s gone”.

When Ken retires, hopefully not for many years to come, the little gripes will be forgotten and the bigger picture can be seen and a gem of a guy and player fully valued.

-------------

Posted By: 157cb
Date Posted: 15 January 2019 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by TheKing TheKing wrote:

I think the most pertinent point is that he is definitely the best 8 that we have, based on performances this year. I’d much rather Ken at 8 and Elias at 2 than Ken at 2 and Uzair at 8 for example. Blade to 6 when he comes back and when Shingler comes back, Blade to the row alongside Ball.

To early to judge Casseim he was playing with a shoulder injury, which was then diagnosed as a cracked shoulder blade I have no doubt he will come good !

Date Posted: 15 January 2019 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

Originally posted by TheKing TheKing wrote:

To early to judge Casseim he was playing with a shoulder injury, which was then diagnosed as a cracked shoulder blade I have no doubt he will come good !
Agree completely.

He’s a guy with great values; a serious player, person and talent. Let’s do all we can to make him feel welcome and he will respond hugely, imo.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net