URL: https://scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=45184
Printed Date: 28 March 2024 at 4:37pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Scarlets Statement
Posted By: minded
Subject: Scarlets Statement
Date Posted: 06 March 2019 at 1:02pm

Some facts and timeline ...

Firstly, we can confirm the statement issued by the Professional Rugby Board (PRB) on Tuesday afternoon as accurate, as are the comments made by Wales’ national coach that the proposed merger was driven by the regions, in consultation with the PRB.

In late December, the Scarlets received a high-level approach from the Ospreys to explore the option of a merger as they had come to the conclusion that their position as tenants at the Liberty Stadium was proving to be challenging.

This was discussed at the two-day strategy meeting of PRB on January 8th and 9th. The loss of a region would have put Welsh rugby in breach of its commitment to having four regions playing in the major competitions. As a result, the option of a team playing out of North Wales was raised.

By the time of the next PRB meeting on February 5, discussions had broken down between the Scarlets and Ospreys and we were told that the Ospreys and another region were in talks over a possible merger, again with North Wales being the option to maintain four teams.

Subsequently, those discussions also broke down and we were approached again last week by the Ospreys to reconsider a merger.

Heads of terms were agreed and signed by the Ospreys and Scarlets on March 1 on terms we believe our supporters would be happy with. This was to be proposed at a meeting of the PRB on Tuesday afternoon, but we were told at the start of that meeting that the Ospreys had changed their mind.

The merger is off the table.

In recent years, the Scarlets have been building steadily to regain our place as one of Europe’s leading sides. We have a superb stadium, great staff, loyal and passionate supporters and a team to be proud of. We know that the problems regarding Welsh rugby have not gone away but we remain committed to the best interests of the Scarlets and the game in Wales.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPnAh1r0V9YMx4LjUAXI1AUts5jgBck9u" rel="nofollow - Scarlets Tries of the Season 2009 - 2022

Replies:
Posted By: henry_winkler
Date Posted: 06 March 2019 at 1:05pm
So they would have played in red at pys with a scarletty name. Can't fault our board there.

Posted By: Fscarlet
Date Posted: 06 March 2019 at 1:06pm
There we go then, as you were.

The only thing that I am slightly concerned about it whether the 'ifs & buts', that the board will have been aware of since December, has affected our recruitment for next season....

Posted By: henry_winkler
Date Posted: 06 March 2019 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

There we go then, as you were.

The only thing that I am slightly concerned about it whether the 'ifs & buts', that the board will have been aware of since December, has affected our recruitment for next season....

I'd guess it almost certainly has

Posted By: ladram
Date Posted: 06 March 2019 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by henry_winkler henry_winkler wrote:

So they would have played in red at pys with a scarletty name. Can't fault our board there.

where does it say that?

Posted By: Once a monkey
Date Posted: 06 March 2019 at 1:09pm
Civil War time for the regions then

-------------
#George

Posted By: jonathan2835
Date Posted: 06 March 2019 at 1:10pm
Is that what the statement says?

"terms we believe our supporters would be happy with" There is no detail or meat on the bone there!

Posted By: NobbySosban
Date Posted: 06 March 2019 at 1:19pm
Good statement from Nigel. No hyperbole, no hysteria, just facts. ClapClapClap

"The merger is off the table."

Date Posted: 06 March 2019 at 1:21pm
I still can't believe that given the battle we had to stand alone that we were prepared to merge now irrespective of  what the terms were,some people have very short memories.

Posted By: Mr Ian
Date Posted: 06 March 2019 at 1:22pm
All is well what ends well. Now take back Scott Williams with us

Posted By: EJPT
Date Posted: 06 March 2019 at 1:25pm
Ospreys are stuffed now it seems, unless they can pull in some major investors i don’t see them lasting in their current form. I reckon they could be shipped up North.
The merger might be off but we could still be in for a couple of their players. Them pulling out will has not fixed their circumstances.
But hopefully we can get on signing our deals and the Ospreys dont drag this out longer than it needs to be.

Date Posted: 06 March 2019 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

Ospreys are stuffed now it seems, unless they can pull in some major investors i don’t see them lasting in their current form. I reckon they could be shipped up North.
The merger might be off but we could still be in for a couple of their players. Them pulling out will has not fixed their circumstances.
But hopefully we can get on signing our deals and the Ospreys dont drag this out longer than it needs to be.

It will be interesting to see what happens as the phrase that has caught my eye more than once, during this all, is the WRU are legally bound to provide 4 sides in the Pro 14 until 2022. So one could think that the Ospreys are saying 'well you're going to have to help us or break the agreement'.

There is of course, no way that the WRU could get a fully functioning region in North Wales in 5 months...

Posted By: KID A
Date Posted: 06 March 2019 at 1:29pm

Ospreys are stuffed now it seems, unless they can pull in some major investors i don’t see them lasting in their current form.

You never know what Rob Davies' plans are though. He might be empowered by all this.

Posted By: crj89
Date Posted: 06 March 2019 at 1:31pm

It will be interesting to see what happens as the phrase that has caught my eye more than once, during this all, is the WRU are legally bound to provide 4 sides in the Pro 14 until 2022. So one could think that the Ospreys are saying 'well you're going to have to help us or break the agreement'.

There is of course, no way that the WRU could get a fully functioning region in North Wales in 5 months...

What would it take to make RGC a fully fledged region? The Premiership is being ring fenced, would just mean one less team getting relegated.

Also, which Ospreys players are out of contract? Who'd want to stay there after that statement from the Scarlets.

Date Posted: 06 March 2019 at 1:35pm
Yeah there are plenty of North wales teams the WRU could regionalise. Zebre were made out of the dust of aironi and a local team at short notice, latching on to that history gives the team some sort of identity.

Posted By: minded
Date Posted: 06 March 2019 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

I still can't believe that given the battle we had to stand alone that we were prepared to merge now irrespective of  what the terms were,some people have very short memories.
This was never a merger by any stretch, despite the word being banded about

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPnAh1r0V9YMx4LjUAXI1AUts5jgBck9u" rel="nofollow - Scarlets Tries of the Season 2009 - 2022

Posted By: aber-fan
Date Posted: 06 March 2019 at 1:39pm
I'm 90% happy with that statement from a Scarlets PoV... the 'terms our supporters would be happy with' are not spelled out, so there's an element of doubt there.

I have no idea what 'heads of terms' are - some legal formula, presumably? Maybe someone can explain that one...

This is the clearest statement of where things stand ATM:

"...we were told at the start of that meeting that the Ospreys had changed their mind.

The merger is off the table."

That's the O's choice, for whatever reason.

I want them - and our derby rivalries - to survive, and would MUCH prefer to see the WRU-owned Dragons shipped off to N Wales. If the Os and the WRU play silly bugg**s and that leads to the demise of the Os, it would be much regretted, but their choice.

In the meantime, this comes at a very tricky time, with Wales in line for a Grand Slam - terrible timing!

-------------
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)

Posted By: gaffer
Date Posted: 06 March 2019 at 1:45pm
Well, it's been an interesting few days. Glad that the 'merger' is a dead duck. Hope this settles things down as far as our players are concerned. I think the Ospreys will have some serious internal issues to sort out and the WRU will have some awkward questions to answer regarding their role in all this - especially in regard to RGC and Newport.

-------------
What's going on?

Posted By: PritchyTheScarlet
Date Posted: 06 March 2019 at 1:55pm
SOSpreys.

-------------
“Gareth Edwards just ran 30 yards and got a Knighthood, I sidestepped five players and got arthritis in both knees.” - Benny

Posted By: SospanMawr
Date Posted: 06 March 2019 at 2:01pm
Seems like the Ospreys are responsible for a lot of nonsense recently.
I’d still be open to a pure takeover, tbh. We’d be a Champions Cup challenging team.

Posted By: Ffidel Bennett
Date Posted: 06 March 2019 at 2:03pm
Look forward to watching Rugby Gogledd Georgia on Priemer Sport in the Autumn instead of the Sprays then- so long as they don't play in English colours.

Date Posted: 06 March 2019 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

I have no idea what 'heads of terms' are - some legal formula, presumably? Maybe someone can explain that one...

Basically a non binding set of guidelines that surround the sale/takeover or merger of entities.

Date Posted: 06 March 2019 at 2:11pm

Basically a non binding set of guidelines that surround the sale/takeover or merger of entities.

Thank you - so, nothing to prevent the Os changing their minds, then. (As I said before, I'd prefer to send the Drags up to Gog-land than the Ospreys!)

-------------
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)

Posted By: roy munster
Date Posted: 06 March 2019 at 2:12pm

Where did it say that?

-------------
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)

Posted By: PritchyTheScarlet
Date Posted: 06 March 2019 at 2:19pm
Our statement, along with the PRB's, leaves the Ospreys with a lot of explaining to do.

This time, without coming across as bitter.

-------------
“Gareth Edwards just ran 30 yards and got a Knighthood, I sidestepped five players and got arthritis in both knees.” - Benny

Posted By: SospanMawr
Date Posted: 06 March 2019 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Where did it say that?
What else would “Heads of terms were agreed and signed by the Ospreys and Scarlets on March 1 on terms we believe our supporters would be happy with” mean?

Nigel Short completely understands how important our heritage and branding are to people.

Posted By: diego6754
Date Posted: 06 March 2019 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by minded minded wrote:

This was never a merger by any stretch, despite the word being banded about

It was a takeover make no mistake. A merger even somewhere around 70:30 Ospreys would of bitten our hands off.

Date Posted: 06 March 2019 at 2:22pm

Thank you - so, nothing to prevent the Os changing their minds, then. (As I said before, I'd prefer to send the Drags up to Gog-land than the Ospreys!)

Exactly right my friend.

Date Posted: 06 March 2019 at 2:23pm
Its very thin on detail , names, where wed play ALL games, colours, names etc heads of terms is some kind of legal term for a proposed agreement.. Im staggered they not only considered it but how quickly it seemed to get agreed and how they actually thought fans of the regions would have been happy with it? not to forget losing our rivalry, local derby matches and perhaps half our home games?

-------------

Date Posted: 06 March 2019 at 2:26pm

Its very thin on detail , names, where wed play ALL games, colours, names etc heads of terms is some kind of legal term for a proposed agreement.. Im staggered they not only considered it but how quickly it seemed to get agreed and how they actually thought fans of the regions would have been happy with it? not to forget losing our rivalry, local derby matches and perhaps half our home games?

There's no need to release the whole detail as it won't serve anyone well. For example they (Ospreys) won't want their fans knowing the ins & outs of what they were willing to give up as they still need their support for whatever is coming.

I have faith that our board will have had our best interests are the forefront of any negotiations.

Date Posted: 06 March 2019 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

Where did it say that?
What else would “Heads of terms were agreed and signed by the Ospreys and Scarlets on March 1 on terms we believe our supporters would be happy with” mean?

Nigel Short completely understands how important our heritage and branding are to people.

Ive no idea , its very vague...why dont the scarlets simply state where wed have played ALL our games , colours names etc Do you really think ospreys would have allowed all games to be played in Llanelli? Their fans would have disappeared

-------------

Date Posted: 06 March 2019 at 2:28pm

There's no need to release the whole detail as it won't serve anyone well. For example they (Ospreys) won't want their fans knowing the ins & outs of what they were willing to give up as they still need their support for whatever is coming.

I have faith that our board will have had our best interests are the forefront of any negotiations.

I disagree. basic info about where wed play what wed be called colours etc is absolutely critical. 

-------------

Date Posted: 06 March 2019 at 2:30pm

Exactly right my friend.

The WRU could easily look at merging dragons / RGC....They hold all the cards and they also have the WAG money on offer for RGC. Whether the whole £12 million would still be available if its a merged north wales region is moot point

-------------

Date Posted: 06 March 2019 at 2:31pm

I disagree. basic info about where wed play what wed be called colours etc is absolutely critical. 

The heads of terms would have, in all probability, had these details however seeing as the move was called off by the Ospreys they won't be released to the public unless it is leaked or someone says "this was the plan"....

As the merger/takeover isn't happening then there is no need for the fans etc to know about it.

Date Posted: 06 March 2019 at 2:32pm

The heads of terms would have, in all probability, had these details however seeing as the move was called off by the Ospreys they won't be released to the public unless it is leaked or someone says "this was the plan"....

As the merger/takeover isn't happening then there is no need for the fans etc to know about it.

Lets hope the fans find out as that information is critical. especially if this nightmare scenario ever rears its head again

-------------

Date Posted: 06 March 2019 at 2:33pm
That's fair enough - as it's not happening (ATM anyway), no real need to know about it.

(Response to Fscarlet)

-------------

Posted By: Rich (Bris)
Date Posted: 06 March 2019 at 2:40pm
As someone said on another thread, there would have been a confidentiality clause both Os and us signed re the Heads of Agreement and if any of our lot blurted out the details then the Os Board would no doubt pursue legal action. So we will just have to trust our Board (which I do) until such time as the details get leaked out (which they will do I'm sure)

Date Posted: 06 March 2019 at 2:45pm
It does beg the question as to what else is on the proverbial table....

Posted By: scarletsrules
Date Posted: 06 March 2019 at 2:52pm
The word merger would have seen a lot of supporters peed of and refuse to attend, if it was announced as a takeover then maybe it would have been different. It over with now hopefully, lets just concentrate on reaching 2nd and getting a home QF in the Pro 14.

Posted By: John
Date Posted: 06 March 2019 at 3:04pm
Its not over unfortunately in the sense that we are not any further forward with the project reset. Even if the new Os chairman has had a change of heart about funding the Os and they are secure for the next few seasons (about as long as any of the regions can guarantee to still be going), they have upset so many people that there are bound to be further delays. Incidentally they will also have upset all their trading partners, the sponsors, the stadium owner, everybody.

And these delays are beginning to get critical now-re-signing players, new commercial deals etc. So the next PRG meeting could be a bit strained to say the least.

Date Posted: 06 March 2019 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by John John wrote:

Its not over unfortunately in the sense that we are not any further forward with the project reset. Even if the new Os chairman has had a change of heart about funding the Os and they are secure for the next few seasons (about as long as any of the regions can guarantee to still be going), they have upset so many people that there are bound to be further delays. Incidentally they will also have upset all their trading partners, the sponsors, the stadium owner, everybody.

And these delays are beginning to get critical now-re-signing players, new commercial deals etc. So the next PRG meeting could be a bit strained to say the least.

The other regions have also had their plans put on hold and potential players have left because this isnt sorted. We need Jonny M and a few others to sign otherwise we are stuck.

Date Posted: 06 March 2019 at 3:23pm

Originally posted by John John wrote:

The other regions have also had their plans put on hold and potential players have left because this isnt sorted. We need Jonny M and a few others to sign otherwise we are stuck.
hasn't stopped cardiff

Date Posted: 06 March 2019 at 3:27pm

Lets hope the fans find out as that information is critical. especially if this nightmare scenario ever rears its head again

Its not critical is it? It is not happening. If we had agreed to give away games to Swansea, and it has already been released that one of the Ospreys major issues is the rental of the Liberty making this very unlikely and that we had agreed to dilute/half the brand Ospreys would of bitten our hand off. Please realise that as an entity they are in serious serious trouble. We held all the leverage here and it would of been used.

Date Posted: 06 March 2019 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by diego6754 diego6754 wrote:

Its not critical is it? It is not happening. If we had agreed to give away games to Swansea, and it has already been released that one of the Ospreys major issues is the rental of the Liberty making this very unlikely and that we had agreed to dilute/half the brand Ospreys would of bitten our hand off. Please realise that as an entity they are in serious serious trouble. We held all the leverage here and it would of been used.

you make us sound like jr ewing

-------------

Date Posted: 06 March 2019 at 3:41pm
it says im western mail that the union have instructed the regions not to finalise any contracts for next season,think the regions should tell them to fork off.

Posted By: turkishrebel
Date Posted: 06 March 2019 at 3:45pm
well blues have haven't they! we need to announce our re-signed players now. get on with things

-------------
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!

Date Posted: 06 March 2019 at 3:46pm

it says im western mail that the union have instructed the regions not to finalise any contracts for next season,think the regions should tell them to fork off.

This situation is chaotic enough without the Fail sticking their ore in!! I thought i'd read somewhere that budgets had been finalised in January and then the Ospreys started panicking and they were delayed because of this. Surely we just go back to that now. If the Ospreys go pop so be it.

Date Posted: 06 March 2019 at 3:48pm

Good analogy with oil being whisky and water!!

Date Posted: 06 March 2019 at 3:50pm

Yeah and JR made a load of enemies and lost a load of money

-------------

Date Posted: 06 March 2019 at 4:04pm

Yeah and JR made a load of enemies and lost a load of money

LOLLOLLOL very good!

Date Posted: 06 March 2019 at 4:46pm
So all this circus has achieved for us is to prevent us from signing players to strengthen our squad, at a time when our rivals outside Wales and in Cardiff are busy snapping up some of players we would be keen to sign Josh Adams, to name but one. Diolch WRU!!!

Posted By: trident
Date Posted: 06 March 2019 at 5:04pm
Blues may have jumped the gun a bit, thinking they were in line for extra funding as a result of the merger

Posted By: Rubrum
Date Posted: 06 March 2019 at 5:13pm
It does strike me as being a problem for the Scarlets still.
Why?
Well, as a 'region' we were held to be responsible for west and north Wales.
Looks like we have not been too successful at representing the north according to the WRU.

What happens next?
Do the O's or Dragons get shipped up north as a franchised team?
I cannot see Blues moving.

Still lots to consider if, and it's a big if, the O's continue as a viable financial entity and WRU keep heading along the road to a new region. 

If the WRU plans for a north Wales region fail, will Scarlets be required  by the WRU, to make more of a commitment to 'home' games played at Parc Eirias?

But my guess is that the next one in the cross-hairs for a change has to be the Dragons...
... to be continued?

-------------
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Rubrum

Posted By: drags212
Date Posted: 06 March 2019 at 5:20pm
As far as I know, the dragons are fine and aren't going anywhere. Having spoken to our chairman and him coming out publicly ststinh we should be getting more private investment for next season. Link here https://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport/17479798.dragons-chasing-private-investment-for-reset-growth/ although as a dragons fan I just admit we have been lucky to not having been dragged into this mess, as of yet. I fear this isn't over for any of us yet though.

Posted By: PE SA
Date Posted: 06 March 2019 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by Rubrum Rubrum wrote:

It does strike me as being a problem for the Scarlets still.
Why?
Well, as a 'region' we were held to be responsible for west and north Wales.
Looks like we have not been too successful at representing the north according to the WRU.

What happens next?
Do the O's or Dragons get shipped up north as a franchised team?
I cannot see Blues moving.

Still lots to consider if, and it's a big if, the O's continue as a viable financial entity and WRU keep heading along the road to a new region. 

If the WRU plans for a north Wales region fail, will Scarlets be
required  by the WRU, to make more of a commitment to 'home' games played
at Parc Eirias?

But my guess is that the next one in the cross-hairs for a change has to be the Dragons...
... to be continued?

Scarlets have not been responsible for North Wales since 2010.

Posted By: PE SA
Date Posted: 06 March 2019 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by trident trident wrote:

Blues may have jumped the gun a bit, thinking they were in line for extra funding as a result of the merger
my thoughts exactly.

Posted By: GPR - Rochester
Date Posted: 07 March 2019 at 9:03am

I’d still be open to a pure takeover, tbh. We’d be a Champions Cup challenging team.

You are making one hell of an assumption there - genuinely how many quality Ospreys players could you see wanting to play for us? AWJ - no chance; Tips no chance; George & Scott possibly; Beard maybe. If we signed 2/3 that would still not make us a top European team. 

Posted By: Why
Date Posted: 07 March 2019 at 9:24am
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

Originally posted by trident trident wrote:

my thoughts exactly.

Or have they been assured by WRU they ok could explain why they only team to announce resignings so far

-------------
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.

Date Posted: 07 March 2019 at 9:35am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

You are making one hell of an assumption there - genuinely how many quality Ospreys players could you see wanting to play for us? AWJ - no chance; Tips no chance; George & Scott possibly; Beard maybe. If we signed 2/3 that would still not make us a top European team. 

GPR I think you are right. To be honest I'd only want AWJ and Scott, and they would probably be away with Wales when we need them most. Not only that but the disruption involved in absorbing significant numbers of unneeded players into the Scarlets squad would probably decrease our potency for a season or two, by which time AWJ would probably have retired. 

The main downside of the failed "merger" is that we will potentially not gain supporters from the western valleys and the rich  seam of youth and academy players from that area.

Now let's get on with improving our prospects by signing a couple of ball carrying forwards, a wing and a squad 10.

Date Posted: 07 March 2019 at 9:45am
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

GPR I think you are right. To be honest I'd only want AWJ and Scott, and they would probably be away with Wales when we need them most. Not only that but the disruption involved in absorbing significant numbers of unneeded players into the Scarlets squad would probably decrease our potency for a season or two, by which time AWJ would probably have retired. 

The main downside of the failed "merger" is that we will potentially not gain supporters from the western valleys and the rich  seam of youth and academy players from that area.

Now let's get on with improving our prospects by signing a couple of ball carrying forwards, a wing and a squad 10.

Yes Ffidel our requirements to improve our squad remain the same. AWJ & Scott are no brainers they would improve every team in the pro 14. As for this latest mess it could have all been avoided if normal confidentiality had been respected. It seems to me, with no insider info, that between 01/03/2019 - 05/03/2019 the Ospreys management collectively decided that the deal was not for them. This must also, I guess, have come with some financial reassurances from Rob Davies etc for the future. 

Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 07 March 2019 at 10:09am
This whole very delicate commercial business  proposal leaked like a sieve throughout and only the spirit of confidentiality agreements kept so it seemed as it all played out in the press. Not so bad if it led to a positive conclusion but when it falls apart acrimoniously in public it is really unprofessional stuff-wonder who did the leaking? Anyway, it didn't help Welsh rugby . It seems a Welsh thing-we love to gossip ! Hopefully if anything takes place in the future lessons have been learned but I do wonder...

Posted By: Legendinmybathroom
Date Posted: 07 March 2019 at 1:05pm
It has been a complete and utter shambles, embarrassment and unprofessional. We (Welsh rugby) are a laughing stock once again, the Irish press are having a Field day with it all.

Date Posted: 07 March 2019 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by Legendinmybathroom Legendinmybathroom wrote:

It has been a complete and utter shambles, embarrassment and unprofessional. We (Welsh rugby) are a laughing stock once again, the Irish press are having a Field day with it all.

I have to agree - laughing stock it sure is. If the lads manage to win the Grand Slam it will be a monumental achievement. WRU/PRB - nobody comes out of this well. Negotiations have to be confidential and somewhere in all this there is/are a person/group of people who have prematurely got the press involved. If the WRU/PRB know the identity then they should name and shame. Then the real rugby supporters among us will understand where our sympathies lie/do not. 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net