Forum Description: Team News, Season Tickets, Next Match
URL: https://scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=45205
Printed Date: 28 March 2024 at 6:24pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Tom Price
Posted By: reesytheexile
Subject: Tom Price
Date Posted: 14 March 2019 at 10:12am
What is it that top English club Exeter see in Tom that our coaches don’t? Shame to lose a Welsh qualified second row. Hopefully not a mistake 🤔

Replies:
Posted By: Mundoscarlet
Date Posted: 14 March 2019 at 10:16am
Money probably

Posted By: turkishrebel
Date Posted: 14 March 2019 at 10:22am
has he signed for them?

-------------
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!

Posted By: llanelli_boy
Date Posted: 14 March 2019 at 10:44am
According to Neil Fissler on twitter, good luck to him, not had best luck  with injuries plus we have Josh Helps coming through. Lets hope we have a top quality second row lined up to bolster us.

Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 14 March 2019 at 11:28am
Decent talent, never quite made the break through for us, best of luck to him at Exeter.

Posted By: ap sior
Date Posted: 14 March 2019 at 12:04pm
Made a good impression on me when he first arrived. I remember him being very good at 'swimming' through mauls formed from linesout, and winning us turnovers. He was a little lightweight but he has bulked up. 

Sadly injuries didn't help his cause and I believe that he did miss a whole season with one injury. I had hopes that he would go on to win internationals honours, as still has family in Aberdare. I think I'm right in saying that Ed Kennedy also has family in Aberdare.

All the best to you Tom. I hope you manage to stay injury free and get a run of games. Thanks for all your efforts in a Scarlet shirt.

Posted By: SospanMawr
Date Posted: 14 March 2019 at 1:16pm
I thought he was going to kick on and become a starter in the last two years. It hasn’t happened, and was seemingly too good for the Premiership and maybe not impactful enough for the top level.
He’s one that would’ve really benefited from a robust, season long A Team where he could develop as a leader/top player.

Best of luck to him at a good club in Exeter.

Posted By: hoppy
Date Posted: 14 March 2019 at 6:11pm
Not Tom price news but scarlet scrum half Sam Hilton Clyne has joined Harlequins for rest of the season

Posted By: Speedy
Date Posted: 14 March 2019 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by hoppy hoppy wrote:

Not Tom price news but scarlet scrum half Sam Hilton Clyne has joined Harlequins for rest of the season
With Jonny evs back fit and Hardy playing as he was, SHC was way too good to be 4th choice at any club..but he would have been once Cawdor was back.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN7pGq1i2jhev2YLcZ89h7Q/videos" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN7pGq1i2jhev2YLcZ89h7Q/videos

Posted By: Roger
Date Posted: 14 March 2019 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

Originally posted by hoppy hoppy wrote:

With Jonny evs back fit and Hardy playing as he was, SHC was way too good to be 4th choice at any club..but he would have been once Cawdor was back.

Jonny Evans out for the season injured.

Posted By: solva
Date Posted: 14 March 2019 at 7:08pm
Odd - do we need to cut the wage bill or have Quins got him on approval for next season?   I'd have thought that with the run in we've got we need all the personnel we have......

Posted By: 157cb
Date Posted: 14 March 2019 at 7:26pm

Sorry do not understand this SHC out on loan, Jon Evans out for season and with our bad luck with injuries we needed 3 quality 9s for the remainder of the season even understanding Sam can be recalled .

Posted By: henry_winkler
Date Posted: 14 March 2019 at 7:33pm
This decision is baffling, they even mention Declan Smith, no offense but I don't think he's yet at the quality of scrum half that we'll need to see us in to Europe via a top 3 spot

Posted By: 157cb
Date Posted: 14 March 2019 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by henry_winkler henry_winkler wrote:

This decision is baffling, they even mention Declan Smith, no offense but I don't think he's yet at the quality of scrum half that we'll need to see us in to Europe via a top 3 spot

Agree Declan not ready for the step up at moment .

Posted By: Nikostratos
Date Posted: 14 March 2019 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

Sorry do not understand this SHC out on loan, Jon Evans out for season and with our bad luck with injuries we needed 3 quality 9s for the remainder of the season even understanding Sam can be recalled .

A quality player who hasn't found form here.  Assuming we can recall him if needed, maybe he'll get more games and play himself into form. 

Posted By: ScarletBear
Date Posted: 14 March 2019 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by Nikostratos Nikostratos wrote:

A quality player who hasn't found form here.  Assuming we can recall him if needed, maybe he'll get more games and play himself into form. 

He may have asked to go as could see no future here. 

-------------
Scarlets before Wales

Posted By: Wasp
Date Posted: 14 March 2019 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

What is it that top English club Exeter see in Tom that our coaches don’t? Shame to lose a Welsh qualified second row. Hopefully not a mistake 🤔
They’ll be working to a budget where they can afford to carry more squad fodder. 
I must admit I’m ready to hear some positive contract news though!

-------------
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh

Posted By: Nikostratos
Date Posted: 15 March 2019 at 2:04am
Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

Originally posted by Nikostratos Nikostratos wrote:

He may have asked to go as could see no future here. 

Indeed, but why we'd let him go is harder to understand, unless we can have him back if we need him.   Next season is another matter, but we're down to Cawdor, Hardy and Smith. One injury to any of them, and all we'll have is a matchday squad and raw kids. 

Posted By: ladram
Date Posted: 15 March 2019 at 7:29am
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

They’ll be working to a budget where they can afford to carry more squad fodder. 
with tom going and SHC leaving it seems more of a cost cutting exercise.

Date Posted: 15 March 2019 at 7:39am
SHC is on loan only.

Harlequins had lost their 2 first team scrum halves and put out on APB.

Smart match for all I think.

Plenty of good news post this weekend I suspect...

Posted By: ladram
Date Posted: 15 March 2019 at 8:52am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

SHC is on loan only.

Harlequins had lost their 2 first team scrum halves and put out on APB.

Smart match for all I think.

Plenty of good news post this weekend I suspect...

hope your right wil.Big smile

Posted By: scarletnut
Date Posted: 15 March 2019 at 9:03am
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

That’s not the case

-------------
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1

Posted By: turkishrebel
Date Posted: 15 March 2019 at 9:43am
lack of info coming on social media since nerys has finished down there is very poor. she was always very pro-active and responded to queries quickly and let fans know info.
at the moment its like the old days and only trickle of info. I know there has been a lot going on down there and with everything from reset causing issues.
but they do need to think about the fans

-------------
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!

Posted By: GPR - Rochester
Date Posted: 15 March 2019 at 9:49am
Lets be fair Tom Price is not the player we had hoped to would be. He has had a fair run. Helps' development has seen him become a genuine first team player to replace Tom. I assume the current under 20's lad Jac Price will grow into the project player & that leaves some funding towards a genuine ball carrying 2nd row. If SHC moves on that again frees up much needed cash for some carrying forwards. Seems like good housekeeping to me. 

Posted By: RR1972
Date Posted: 15 March 2019 at 10:42am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Lets be fair Tom Price is not the player we had hoped to would be. He has had a fair run. Helps' development has seen him become a genuine first team player to replace Tom. I assume the current under 20's lad Jac Price will grow into the project player & that leaves some funding towards a genuine ball carrying 2nd row. If SHC moves on that again frees up much needed cash for some carrying forwards. Seems like good housekeeping to me. 

bit telling no other region has gone in for him,

Posted By: thommo
Date Posted: 15 March 2019 at 11:29am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

We dont know that do we.

Posted By: RR1972
Date Posted: 15 March 2019 at 11:45am
Originally posted by thommo thommo wrote:

Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

We dont know that do we.

fair enough, i'll rephrase no region made him a good enough offer to keep him in wales

Posted By: diego6754
Date Posted: 15 March 2019 at 11:51am
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Why? Tom has made little or no impact in four seasons for whatever reason and Sam is probably on a good wack and doesn't feature in first team plans. He's probably been loaned to Quins to get game time/match fitness and can be recalled if needed. Seems like sensible squad management to me.

Posted By: Dai38
Date Posted: 15 March 2019 at 2:07pm
One point on loan players, normally a clause in the loan agreement that if the parent club (Scarlets) have an emergency then they can recall the player, so I assume that we are covered.

-------------
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!

Posted By: NobbySosban
Date Posted: 15 March 2019 at 3:25pm
Tom Price has had 14 first XXIII appearances this season, including 3 starts. Last season, he started once, with 3 further appearances from bench.

He's been one of the 'Tesco/Lidl Team' stalwarts, but perhaps he feels he has one more big opportunity at a great club back in England. Good luck to Tom.

Posted By: Red Army
Date Posted: 15 March 2019 at 3:59pm
Steff Evans going to Glasgow.

Date Posted: 15 March 2019 at 4:35pm
Interesting.. thx

Date Posted: 15 March 2019 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by NobbySosban NobbySosban wrote:

Tom Price has had 14 first XXIII appearances this season, including 3 starts. Last season, he started once, with 3 further appearances from bench.

He's been one of the 'Tesco/Lidl Team' stalwarts, but perhaps he feels he has one more big opportunity at a great club back in England. Good luck to Tom.

I think he was injured most of last season, and I believe that he was told he needed to bulk up. He's had more opportunities this term but possibly feels he needs more. As you've said best of luck Tom.

Date Posted: 15 March 2019 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by Red Army Red Army wrote:

Steff Evans going to Glasgow.

A few weeks ago, Pivac Jon Daniels and his agent were saying that Steff was going nowhere, and that he had a year left on his contract. How times have changed ! I hope that this is the correct move for him ? Under the current rules, his Welsh career is over.

Posted By: Dantheman2018
Date Posted: 15 March 2019 at 9:10pm
With Pivac taking over as National Coach his Welsh career is over anyway. Can’t get in Scarlets first 23 this year let alone starting line up so for whatever reason he isn’t rated. Can’t understand it myself but people far more qualified than me obviously have their reasons.

Posted By: daveoda
Date Posted: 18 March 2019 at 1:02pm
Is Tom Price definitely off to Exeter? 
If so, he will be the Chiefs 2nd second-row signing after Will Witty from Newcastle Falcons
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/47602771" rel="nofollow - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/47602771

-------------
YMLAEN SCARLETS!!!

Posted By: Huwbach
Date Posted: 18 March 2019 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by Dantheman2018 Dantheman2018 wrote:

With Pivac taking over as National Coach his Welsh career is over anyway. Can’t get in Scarlets first 23 this year let alone starting line up so for whatever reason he isn’t rated. Can’t understand it myself but people far more qualified than me obviously have their reasons.

Good points - I seriously can’t believe that Steff has gone from pro 14 hero, to be capped x number of times by Wales, then injured over the summer, late start, now on the scrap heap. Wow.

Date Posted: 19 March 2019 at 9:35am
Originally posted by Huwbach Huwbach wrote:

Originally posted by Dantheman2018 Dantheman2018 wrote:

Good points - I seriously can’t believe that Steff has gone from pro 14 hero, to be capped x number of times by Wales, then injured over the summer, late start, now on the scrap heap. Wow.

Scarp heap is  a bit over the top!!!!! The lad has some serious deficiencies defensively and will work on these before becoming a regular again. I see no problem at all in that. You either buckle down or throw your dolls out of the pram, move on and face the same issues with another coach. From my memory no player has become better by just moving club. 

Date Posted: 19 March 2019 at 9:50am
GPR, don't quite agree with you, players sometimes/often have issues with the coaches, and also the way the side plays, and see the only way forward is to move clubs.

Damian Welch is an example, he was an ordinary player with the Scarlets, neither a second row or a back row for us, but he left, took a year or so with Exeter 2nds and ended up a regular for them for the next 3 seasons or so, and he was a much better player than when he was with us, one can say the same with John Barclay and Sean Lamont.

The basics were there but they responded to different coaches and style and became better players.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 March 2019 at 9:57am
Originally posted by Dai38 Dai38 wrote:

GPR, don't quite agree with you, players sometimes/often have issues with the coaches, and also the way the side plays, and see the only way forward is to move clubs.

Damian Welch is an example, he was an ordinary player with the Scarlets, neither a second row or a back row for us, but he left, took a year or so with Exeter 2nds and ended up a regular for them for the next 3 seasons or so, and he was a much better player than when he was with us, one can say the same with John Barclay and Sean Lamont.

The basics were there but they responded to different coaches and style and became better players.

Welch, Barclay & Lamont didn't have glaring inefficiencies that were being exploited by the opposition. Steff is not going to find a team to suit his attacking style any more than us surely. He himself is on record as saying he understands his problems and is working on them. 

For the record Welch remained an ordinary player & Barclay & Lamont were test class when they joined us and continued to be so. 

Date Posted: 19 March 2019 at 9:59am
We'll agree to disagree 

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net