Topic: Euro play-off thread
Posted By: POPPADOM
Subject: Euro play-off thread
Date Posted: 27 April 2019 at 10:43pm
Ok it's not by any means been our best season

BUT

Let this be our CUP FINAL

Remember La Rochelle last year !!!!!

Flags , Passion singing Dan Vaughan on the pitch ! !!!

10,000 cheap or free tickets

We are all the best supporters in the World

We all hate the Liberty BUT lets forget today and get behind our heroes THE SCARLETS and give us all the chance to compete for the holly grail for the 2019/2020 Season

-------------
     31st October 1972
    The Greatest day in
     SCARLET HISTORY
      "I WAS THERE !!"

Replies:
Posted By: scarletsrules
Date Posted: 27 April 2019 at 11:24pm
Exactly. I dont agree with all this we done deserve it rubbish. We finished 4th and qualified as Edinburgh were worse than us. They lost to the kings away for starters! I dont care how we got there but we are there. Let's show how much being in the Heineken Cup means to this region. Let's get behind the boys in numbers and get guaranteed qualification for the top tier of Europe. Toulon and La Rochelle occasions will only happen if we get the Heineken cup

Posted By: knutsfordlion
Date Posted: 27 April 2019 at 11:36pm
Clarke said today that their win came off a brilliant performance by their front five, and pack in general.

That's where we are weak and that worries me for our chances.

WP has to get his selection spot on up front.

I would have :
Wyn, Ken, Sampson
Bulbring, Rawlings,
Josh, Blade, Cubby.

This assumes Cubby will be fit by then .

I would look to play a fast, wide game and have Josh and Cubby over the ball early to slow them down, but also to give us the chances we need of a high tempo game.

Even today, we looked a real threat off quick ball, but went AWOL when the ball became slow. !!

In the backs, we have to pick Patch at 10, and Steff on the wing if fit. No disrespect to Ioan by the way as he has been solid, however we need a game breaker and Steff does that for us.

In saying all of that, it will be a derby with a load at stake.
Big pressure on the Sprays at home, so lets go for it and not die worrying if only.

Bring it on.

-------------
Page the oracle

Posted By: EJPT
Date Posted: 27 April 2019 at 11:44pm
Apart from Bulbring our second row just hasn’t performed well. A bit disappointed he is leaving, as he has been good the past three seasons. Rawlins has fallen off the map recently and I don't rate Helps.
We need a dynamic second row player in the fold. I would seriously consider putting Blade there with the backrows we potentially could have fit.

Posted By: PritchyTheScarlet
Date Posted: 27 April 2019 at 11:55pm
Everyone - get your tickets, get down the Liberty and lets cheer the boys on and give everything we've got to try and help them qualify for next season's Champions Cup.

I would imagine that the ticket allocation will be more evened out, so lets try and get as many there as possible.

H U G E game.

Ymlaen.

-------------
“Gareth Edwards just ran 30 yards and got a Knighthood, I sidestepped five players and got arthritis in both knees.” - Benny

Posted By: 157cb
Date Posted: 28 April 2019 at 7:28am

Lets paint the Liberty Scarlet no excuses people get there!!!

Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 28 April 2019 at 7:47am
I’m delighted to have another chance. I’m apprehensive of getting ( another ) reminder, this time from our nearest and bitterest rivals, of how mediocre our season has been.

Waiting for the time and venue to plan a home trip for the game.

Putting all our disappointment aside, we have been given a lifeline to maintain our proud record of always being in the top tier of European rugby.

Do we deserve it?
No, we finished 9th, and in and previous season we’d be out.

Do I care about whether we deserve it?
Nah, not really. We can beat anyone on our day.

Posted By: GPR - Rochester
Date Posted: 28 April 2019 at 7:52am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

I’m delighted to have another chance. I’m apprehensive of getting ( another ) reminder, this time from our nearest and bitterest rivals, of how mediocre our season has been.

Putting all our disappointment aside, we have been given a lifeline to maintain our proud record of always being in the top tier of European rugby.

Do we deserve it?

Oh by the way Wil congrats for getting the result prediction correct yesterday. Not many of us saw that coming. 

Date Posted: 28 April 2019 at 7:55am
That was driven by being last in the Prediction league ( my normal slot) and having to go for weird predictions, not by any cleverness.

Date Posted: 28 April 2019 at 8:02am

That was driven by being last in the Prediction league ( my normal slot) and having to go for weird predictions, not by any cleverness.

Too modest Wil - far too modest!!!

Posted By: Lee
Date Posted: 28 April 2019 at 8:10am
Both sets of coaches have three weeks to prepare for their own European final which also happens to be Wales' biggest derby match - what a prospect!
I know that our form this season has hasn't been good but the Ospreys haven't exactly set the world alight either and we have beaten them once.
It will probably be a tense, nervy affair and I'm not entirely sure I will make it through in one piece but I will be watching and cheering the boys on for one last time - until next year..

Date Posted: 28 April 2019 at 8:10am
Nah, also had Zebre and Blues to win....so ended up bang on my average for the season...if there was relegation in the Predictions league I’d be Whitley Bay Athletic.

Posted By: greypower1
Date Posted: 28 April 2019 at 8:37am

Do we deserve it?

Will we finished joint 8th not ninth. Your not comparing like with like when you join up the two conferences. We played the teams in conference A just once whereas the Blues who had more points than us , played the other A's home and away.

-------------
Keep the faith

Posted By: turkishrebel
Date Posted: 28 April 2019 at 8:56am
So who of the injured players will we have back?

-------------
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!

Posted By: cymraes
Date Posted: 28 April 2019 at 9:36am
  Hope the Scarlets commerical team do everything they can to promote this game and get as many Scarlet bums on seats as possible.  The boys need the support - can't imagine anyuthing worse for them than to arrive at Liberty with no backing.  However disappointing this season has been for our supporters we now need to do our bit to ensure we're still at the top table next year. 

Posted By: ladram
Date Posted: 28 April 2019 at 10:16am
Originally posted by cymraes cymraes wrote:

Hope the Scarlets commerical team do everything they can to promote this game and get as many Scarlet bums on seats as possible.  The boys need the support - can't imagine anyuthing worse for them than to arrive at Liberty with no backing.  However disappointing this season has been for our supporters we now need to do our bit to ensure we're still at the top table next year. 
they had plenty of support yesterday.

Date Posted: 28 April 2019 at 10:16am
Originally posted by greypower1 greypower1 wrote:

Do we deserve it?

Will we finished joint 8th not ninth. Your not comparing like with like when you join up the two conferences. We played the teams in conference A just once whereas the Blues who had more points than us , played the other A's home and away.

How did you get to joint 8th?
If we ignore the other conference and looked at just our conference results we’d still be 4th. I’m not sure of the point, sorry If I’m missing something.
This is our worst season in a decade.

Posted By: Rubrum
Date Posted: 28 April 2019 at 10:28am
I don't think it's been our worst season in a decade, despite what Wil Chips thinks.
It has not been glorious, but there have been worse and we have still come through in the end.
One last huge effort in the Pro14 and we will be through.
I'm confident.  I think...

-------------
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Rubrum

Date Posted: 28 April 2019 at 10:44am

Do we deserve it?

How did you get to joint 8th?
If we ignore the other conference and looked at just our conference results we’d still be 4th. I’m not sure of the point, sorry If I’m missing something.
This is our worst season in a decade.

It most definitely is 9th and yes its our worst season for a hell of a long time. Brad Mooar sounds like a very measured, thoughtful guy who, I am sure, will be getting his head around the many issues which have affected our season. It is wrong of us to simply put our poor performances down to our injury list. Top of the list of our shortcomings must be our lineout which whether in attack or defence has been woeful. Secondly our forward pack have a soft underbelly & we are prone to being overpowered. A returning Jake & Aaron will help these issues but we need far more. 

Thirdly, in my opinion, our on field leadership has been badly affected by the loss of Barclay & Scott. Foxy is meant to be a senior player but I don't rate his powers of leadership or motivation. Finally our defensive systems, Munster at home apart, are not good enough. Teams don't seem to have to work through many phases to score. So Mr Mooar has a hell of a job on his hands & he needs to select his management team very carefully. If it isn't too late we should be looking at McBryde for the forward role. Personally i would love to see a role being found for Ben Ryan who is a forward thinking guy with excellent connections to South Sea Islands players. 

Date Posted: 28 April 2019 at 10:51am
Originally posted by Rubrum Rubrum wrote:

I don't think it's been our worst season in a decade, despite what Wil Chips thinks.
It has not been glorious, but there have been worse and we have still come through in the end.
One last huge effort in the Pro14 and we will be through.
I'm confident.  I think...
when was the last time we only won away once?

Date Posted: 28 April 2019 at 10:58am
It has to be our worst season for many years for goodness sake. Lets not forget that a combination of Leinster 2nds/3rds put 50 points past the Dragons.

Date Posted: 28 April 2019 at 11:02am
I didn’t want to make it a throw away comment, 11/27 is our worst return in a decade.

Posted By: Ffidel Bennett
Date Posted: 28 April 2019 at 11:20am
We really need some alternatives to our now ineffectual plan of laboriously shifting slow ball out wide. Everybody knows what we are doing and are up very quickly to tackle -or even worse intercept. Sure from turnovers or the increasingly rare quick ball it's the way to go, but let's not do it mechanically especially when the opposition rush-defence itself leaves space behind them for us to exploit if our inside backs are sharp enough to react with chips or grubber kicks. Do this occasionally early on and the rush defence will hesitate before throwing themselves forward We also need everyone committed  to helping our ball carriers at the breakdown by clearing out opposition players who are trying to slow down or steal our ball.  
And if we do get a half decent lead, as we have thrown away too often recently, then let's consolidate by kicking for position and put the onus on the opposition to take risks getting out of their own half. We don't seem to know how to put pressure and demoralise opponents who are trailing.
Of course I would prefer a totally expansive game where we run in tries from every bit of possession but we play in the real world and opponents analyse us and do their utmost to stop this happening.
It has now reached the stage where the Dragons, Edinburgh and others can do this successfully and we need a rethink which hopefully Mooar can provide.

Posted By: sreve19
Date Posted: 28 April 2019 at 11:28am
Has a date been set for this game yet ?

Posted By: wetweatherwinger
Date Posted: 28 April 2019 at 11:34am
The prospect of a Welsh derby and a big crowd will surely bring the best out of your big players. I think we’ll have the edge in some areas but I can see it being a close and nervy encounter.

Posted By: Mugwuffin
Date Posted: 28 April 2019 at 12:02pm
Is there any chance of Jake Ball returning in time for this one? That would be a huge boost to our chances.

Posted By: scarletnut
Date Posted: 28 April 2019 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by Mugwuffin Mugwuffin wrote:

Is there any chance of Jake Ball returning in time for this one? That would be a huge boost to our chances.
Yes it's likely

-------------
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1

Posted By: NeylandAllBlack
Date Posted: 28 April 2019 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by scarletsrules scarletsrules wrote:

Exactly. I dont agree with all this we done deserve it rubbish. We finished 4th and qualified as Edinburgh were worse than us. They lost to the kings away for starters! I dont care how we got there but we are there. Let's show how much being in the Heineken Cup means to this region. Let's get behind the boys in numbers and get guaranteed qualification for the top tier of Europe. Toulon and La Rochelle occasions will only happen if we get the Heineken cup

We support them through thick and thin. We still don't deserve to be in the Champions Cup. If we get there then good on us. Based on this seasons performances we deserve to be in the Challenge Cup.

We haven't put in a full 80 minute performance all season. Not sure why any of us would believe we would put one in now. We had to win yesterday, and we blew it. We have another chance by a massive piece of luck.

Posted By: NeylandAllBlack
Date Posted: 28 April 2019 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by wetweatherwinger wetweatherwinger wrote:

The prospect of a Welsh derby and a big crowd will surely bring the best out of your big players. I think we’ll have the edge in some areas but I can see it being a close and nervy encounter.

The prospect of a Welsh derby and a big crowd didn't work out too well for us yesterday.

Posted By: Speedy
Date Posted: 28 April 2019 at 12:55pm
I couldnt think of a worse game to play next, this team is getting worse the more it plays. Its lack of ideas and concentration levels in defence are pathetic. Ospreys will hammer us. I cant watch.

Cassiem alone will gift them 12 points. He is so indecisive and a penalty machine. For every thing good he does he costs us by doing 4 or 5 things terrible. 

Halfpenny has hit some absolutely shocking form. All our moves are predictable and pedestrian.

We deserve mickey mouse cup. On our form. We should be beating that dragons side with our academy out on the pitch.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN7pGq1i2jhev2YLcZ89h7Q/videos" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN7pGq1i2jhev2YLcZ89h7Q/videos

Posted By: aristocrat
Date Posted: 28 April 2019 at 1:36pm
Don't often post or reply but I feel I must vent my spleen. Has anybody watched the Crusaders or any Southern Hemisphere Rugby this season. The speed of recycling the ball from rucks, mauls and set piece is frighteningly quick. Moare will bring this intensity with him, half of this Scarlets team will be History after he has bedded in, for one Cawdor will be gone he is to slow around the rucks and mauls to slow in getting the ball away.There in lies much of the problem, hardy will be the number 1 scrum half next season as he fits Brad Moare's criteria. Have just seen the report on Hidalgo-Clyne for Harlequins at Exeter, got * for his performance, cutting Exeter to pieces their huge pack struggled and Baxter was furious. We now have a chance at The Liberty let's not blow it again.

-------------
Yours Aye The Aristocrat of Rugby

Date Posted: 28 April 2019 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by aristocrat aristocrat wrote:

Don't often post or reply but I feel I must vent my spleen. Has anybody watched the Crusaders or any Southern Hemisphere Rugby this season. The speed of recycling the ball from rucks, mauls and set piece is frighteningly quick. Moare will bring this intensity with him, half of this Scarlets team will be History after he has bedded in, for one Cawdor will be gone he is to slow around the rucks and mauls to slow in getting the ball away.There in lies much of the problem, hardy will be the number 1 scrum half next season as he fits Brad Moare's criteria. Have just seen the report on Hidalgo-Clyne for Harlequins at Exeter, got * for his performance, cutting Exeter to pieces their huge pack struggled and Baxter was furious. We now have a chance at The Liberty let's not blow it again.

Don't need to look to New Zealand, watch the speed of clear out and recycling demonstrated by Glasgow against a physical Edinburgh last night. I watched in total envy.

-------------
Keep the faith

Posted By: Rubrum
Date Posted: 28 April 2019 at 2:25pm
Point taken.
It has been a bloody awful season.

-------------
Rubrum

Posted By: Why
Date Posted: 28 April 2019 at 2:33pm
It’s time for our so called stars to pick themselves up off the floor and put in performance of their lives three weeks of hard work no trips to Dubai or anywhere training hard and focus for biggest game of season.

-------------
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.

Posted By: Rob o'r Bont
Date Posted: 28 April 2019 at 3:02pm
It has been an awful season.  I'm usually the last to give in to pessimistic thoughts, but yes, the season has been poor.  However I don't believe this season's results will have any bearing on our performances next year.  We have a good squad going into 2019/20 and in all probability we can look forward to a good season. We need to make sure that next year's squad get a chance to grace the Champions Cup.

We need to treat this game against the Ospreys as a knockout stage game in the Champions Cup because in effect; thats exactly what it is.  Winning this game is as important as any game we have played this season. Our suport is needed now more than ever - lets make it a big day. 

-------------

Posted By: Huwbach
Date Posted: 28 April 2019 at 3:51pm

I didn’t want to make it a throw away comment, 11/27 is our worst return in a decade.

I suppose the competition is harder this year, so whilst the stats are harsh we’ve looked better than in other poor seasons?

Posted By: scarletnut
Date Posted: 28 April 2019 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

It has been an awful season.  I'm usually the last to give in to pessimistic thoughts, but yes, the season has been poor.  However I don't believe this season's results will have any bearing on our performances next year.  We have a good squad going into 2019/20 and in all probability we can look forward to a good season. We need to make sure that next year's squad get a chance to grace the Champions Cup.

We need to treat this game against the Ospreys as a knockout stage game in the Champions Cup because in effect; thats exactly what it is.  Winning this game is as important as any game we have played this season. Our suport is needed now more than ever - lets make it a big day. 

It’s World Cup season though so it’s a bit of a lottery

-------------
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1

Date Posted: 28 April 2019 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by Huwbach Huwbach wrote:

I suppose the competition is harder this year, so whilst the stats are harsh we’ve looked better than in other poor seasons?

I don’t know really. Anyway let’s not labour the point too much. It’s been pretty rank.

Date Posted: 28 April 2019 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

It’s time for our so called stars to pick themselves up off the floor and put in performance of their lives three weeks of hard work no trips to Dubai or anywhere training hard and focus for biggest game of season.

Wales extended squad announcement is on Tuesday 30 April.

I don’t know if that’s a good or bad thing really.

Posted By: knutsfordlion
Date Posted: 28 April 2019 at 4:00pm
I agree however the Ospreys will be adopting the same approach and will be at home with some momentum.
Also they have a very efficient front five and we don't.

Hopefully the tables will stay as they are in the other leagues, and Leinster will do a job on the Sarries, and then both of us can go through.

-------------
Page the oracle

Posted By: Speedy
Date Posted: 28 April 2019 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by knutsfordlion knutsfordlion wrote:

I agree however the Ospreys will be adopting the same approach and will be at home with some momentum.
Also they have a very efficient front five and we don't.

Hopefully the tables will stay as they are in the other leagues, and Leinster will do a job on the Sarries, and then both of us can go through.

Which happens first, because there might not be any need for another match and humiliation at our neighbours then.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN7pGq1i2jhev2YLcZ89h7Q/videos" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN7pGq1i2jhev2YLcZ89h7Q/videos

Date Posted: 28 April 2019 at 4:39pm

We put in a committed performance at the Liberty in December and could, probably should, have won. We’ll have a stronger squad available this time. We can win there.

Posted By: M.M.
Date Posted: 28 April 2019 at 4:44pm

We put in a committed performance at the Liberty in December and could, probably should, have won. We’ll have a stronger squad available this time. We can win there.

First half up there we did ok but I felt we lost our way in the 2nd, allowing Ospreys to dominate and, ultimately, win the game.
Bit like yesterday, really.....

Posted By: Cwmgwuan
Date Posted: 28 April 2019 at 5:08pm
While we have had massive games in European cup over the last couple of years and a 2 league finals i believe the ospreys game will be more important. Not being in top tier of Europe next season is bad on and off the pitch so im sure the players will step up a gear. Yes its been a bad season but we do still have class players and im optimistic we can beat them at the liberty in a few weeks

Posted By: PE SA
Date Posted: 28 April 2019 at 5:17pm
Put a line under the season. This is one game. Potentially the only game all season where we can field for the first time our strongest team.
I think we can go for:
Halfpenny
Mcnicholl
Foxy
Parkes
Nicholas
Patchell
Cawdor
Macleod
Cubby
Thomson
Cummins
Ball
Samson
Ken
Wyn

Marc Jones
Phil Price
Werner Kruger
David Bulbring
Aaron Shingler
Kieran Hardy
Dan Jones
Kieran Fonotia

Date Posted: 28 April 2019 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by Cwmgwuan Cwmgwuan wrote:

While we have had massive games in European cup over the last couple of years and a 2 league finals i believe the ospreys game will be more important. Not being in top tier of Europe next season is bad on and off the pitch so im sure the players will step up a gear. Yes its been a bad season but we do still have class players and im optimistic we can beat them at the liberty in a few weeks

It's just as big for he Ospreys and they will have a huge point to make having been on the verge of being taken over by us. The only thing in our favour is all the pressure will be on the home team.

-------------
Keep the faith

Date Posted: 28 April 2019 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by M.M. M.M. wrote:

First half up there we did ok but I felt we lost our way in the 2nd, allowing Ospreys to dominate and, ultimately, win the game.

We were leading at HT even with Parkes at 10. Ball going off injured saw them start to turn the tide up front, and a fortunate try resulting from a loose ball being kicked through ended up being the difference.

Date Posted: 28 April 2019 at 5:34pm
whilst the players are taking the flak I think it's only right to point out that the coaches shoulder a large part of the blame,as upset as wasps were to lose stevo I think our back play has been the same as it was under nigel davies and mark jones  where we either kick the ball away or just shuffle it along the back line like training,our defence has been non existent,our lineout has been a total disaster and our ball retention has been atrocious,we have british lions and internationals galore so the buck has to stop somewhere.

Posted By: aber-fan
Date Posted: 28 April 2019 at 5:38pm
Well, I went to bed thinking that was the season over and woke up to find out that the Scarlets have been given a 'life' (or maybe two if Leinster win the RCC - is that right?).

TBH, we don't deserve it, but let's hope the players and coaches can wake up before the Ospreys showdown... can't say I'm optimistic, but if we get Jake back that'll help a lot - we lacked carriers yesterday, and needed more grunt in the scrums... surprised we didn't get on top there. As for the lineout - what a shambles. Serious work needs to be done on that. Finally, the defensive organisation was poor, leaving gaps for the likes of Screech to run in tries, FFS! At one time, it looked as if Samson was supposed to be our last defender on the wing... need I say more?

So - pull your fingers out, Scarlets! Let's really take it to the Ospreys.

-------------
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)

Date Posted: 28 April 2019 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

whilst the players are taking the flak I think it's only right to point out that the coaches shoulder a large part of the blame,as upset as wasps were to lose stevo I think our back play has been the same as it was under nigel davies and mark jones  where we either kick the ball away or just shuffle it along the back line like training,our defence has been non existent,our lineout has been a total disaster and our ball retention has been atrocious,we have british lions and internationals galore so the buck has to stop somewhere.

I can’t agree with you on our attack. It improved markedly after Stephen Jones joined as coach. A Pro12 title, reaching the Heineken Cup semis, and reaching another league final are proof of that. Even during this horrendous campaign we were the 4th top scorers in the Pro14.

I agree about the decline in our defence this season has been significant and hugely costly. It’s been far too soft. We’ve missed Shingler’s ability to catch carriers behind the gain line, and Cubby, Barclay and Beirne’s nuisance factor in slowing down ball.

Posted By: Rob o'r Bont
Date Posted: 28 April 2019 at 7:12pm

We were leading at HT even with Parkes at 10. Ball going off injured saw them start to turn the tide up front, and a fortunate try resulting from a loose ball being kicked through ended up being the difference.
There was also a significant change in the performance of the front row at half time.  Not sure now if it was a change in personnel or a change in approach, but we lost our dominance which had been winning us penalties. 

-------------

Date Posted: 28 April 2019 at 7:32pm

There was also a significant change in the performance of the front row at half time.  Not sure now if it was a change in personnel or a change in approach, but we lost our dominance which had been winning us penalties. 

I think that was possibly the difference in weight coming through from the second row. Jake is a much bigger and stronger guy than Rawlins, who I think replaced him that day.

Date Posted: 28 April 2019 at 10:09pm

I can’t agree with you on our attack. It improved markedly after Stephen Jones joined as coach. A Pro12 title, reaching the Heineken Cup semis, and reaching another league final are proof of that. Even during this horrendous campaign we were the 4th top scorers in the Pro14.

I agree about the decline in our defence this season has been significant and hugely costly. It’s been far too soft. We’ve missed Shingler’s ability to catch carriers behind the gain line, and Cubby, Barclay and Beirne’s nuisance factor in slowing down ball.
i'm talking about this season in particular.

Date Posted: 29 April 2019 at 8:43am

yes this season we have not had a form 10 playing all season. they have either been injured, completely out of form or a player out of position. HUGE factor for the attacking play this season.

Date Posted: 29 April 2019 at 9:12am
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

yes this season we have not had a form 10 playing all season. they have either been injured, completely out of form or a player out of position. HUGE factor for the attacking play this season.
surely good coaches adapt to this?we had more than enough ball on Saturday to try something different,we have been shuffling from side to side or kicking the ball away from the first game of the season up to last Saturday.

Posted By: insidehalf
Date Posted: 29 April 2019 at 9:36am
If the league decide that if Leinster earn the Pro 14 the extra spot it will go to the other 4th placed team  meaning Ospreys and ourselves go through, will the WRU and Gatland remove any of the players in the World Cup 48 man training squad rather than going 7 bells at each other in a pointless game?

Posted By: Fscarlet
Date Posted: 29 April 2019 at 9:39am
Originally posted by insidehalf insidehalf wrote:

If the league decide that if Leinster earn the Pro 14 the extra spot it will go to the other 4th placed team  meaning Ospreys and ourselves go through, will the WRU and Gatland remove any of the players in the World Cup 48 man training squad rather than going 7 bells at each other in a pointless game?

Erm they don't, it is all dependent on who wins the relevant European trophies, if Leinster win (& both of the Challenge Cup finalists have qualified for the Champions Cup next season) then the extra place goes to the Pro 14. If Saracens win then the extra spot goes to thier league.

Posted By: insidehalf
Date Posted: 29 April 2019 at 9:43am
Yeah I know that, as I said if Leinster earn us the extra spot and all other connotations go our way. I couldn't be ar**d to write every possibility down only the one that could affect us, which people on here have been talking about.

Posted By: minded
Date Posted: 29 April 2019 at 9:51am

No, because again, we won't know the extra 8th spot is guaranteed to be going to a Pro14 team until after the Top14 finishes, which is a week after our playoff game is being played.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPnAh1r0V9YMx4LjUAXI1AUts5jgBck9u" rel="nofollow - Scarlets Tries of the Season 2009 - 2022

Date Posted: 29 April 2019 at 9:56am

Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

surely good coaches adapt to this?we had more than enough ball on Saturday to try something different,we have been shuffling from side to side or kicking the ball away from the first game of the season up to last Saturday.
for me its the way we play...Dan doesn't seem to get the backs as involved as Patch. is that coaching, ability, communication...

Posted By: SA14
Date Posted: 29 April 2019 at 10:12am
Originally posted by minded minded wrote:

No, because again, we won't know the extra 8th spot is guaranteed to be going to a Pro14 team until after the Top14 finishes, which is a week after our playoff game is being played.

Depending on results La Rochelles’ qualification could be settled by then.

Posted By: shocker
Date Posted: 29 April 2019 at 10:21am
The Aviva and the pro14 may not finish til after the play off but we know mathematically WinZip where.
I e sale are 4 pts clear of 7th place with 2 games left.
They won next Sat against Bristol, they be 6th the lowest

Date Posted: 29 April 2019 at 10:25am
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Originally posted by minded minded wrote:

Depending on results La Rochelles’ qualification could be settled by then.

Good news is they won, & moved into 6th, on the weekend & are 5 points ahead of Montpelier in 7th

Posted By: Sosban bach
Date Posted: 29 April 2019 at 11:17am
Don’t think my bloood pressure can handle another away loss. It doesn’t matter who we select to play we just aren’t a team this season what a [beep]ing shambles it’s been. After the last two seasons to end up losing to the dragons this season is bonkers!

Date Posted: 29 April 2019 at 2:22pm
On the Pro 14 site under the Quarter Finals & Semi Finals page it says

Ospreys (A4) and Scarlets (B4) will compete in the Champions Cup Play-Off and a provisional date has been identified and will be confirmed by PRO14 Rugby in due course. PRO14 Rugby will need to take account of whether an additional eighth Champions Cup place might be available were Leinster to win the European tournament and all four Challenge Cup Semi-Finalists have already qualified through their domestic leagues.

So I wonder whether they are waiting to see the result of the 2 European finals before deciding whether this match will go ahead, which would then lend weight to the us being the 8th ranked team.

Posted By: scarletsrules
Date Posted: 29 April 2019 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

<div ="copy-paste-block">Ospreys (A4) and Scarlets (B4) will
compete in the Champions Cup Play-Off and a provisional date has been
identified and will be confirmed by PRO14 Rugby in due course. PRO14
Rugby will need to take account of whether an additional eighth
Champions Cup place might be available were Leinster to win the European
tournament and all four Challenge Cup Semi-Finalists have already
qualified through their domestic leagues.<span></span>
<div ="copy-paste-block"><span>
</span><div ="copy-paste-block"><span>So I wonder whether they are waiting to see the result of the 2 European finals before deciding whether this match will go ahead, which would then lend weight to the us being the 8th ranked team.
</span>

The problem is that French league doesn't finish until end of May so if they want the euro play off that weekend then it will have to be played regardless as there is no guarantee La Rochelle will have qualified by then

Date Posted: 29 April 2019 at 4:26pm

</span><div ="copy-paste-block"><span>So I wonder whether they are waiting to see the result of the 2 European finals before deciding whether this match will go ahead, which would then lend weight to the us being the 8th ranked team.
</span>

The problem is that French league doesn't finish until end of May so if they want the euro play off that weekend then it will have to be played regardless as there is no guarantee La Rochelle will have qualified by then

Then why have a provisional date? Why not just say the date? I guess the only way this match won't go ahead is if Leinster win the Champions Cup & La Rochelle win the Challenge Cup.

Date Posted: 29 April 2019 at 4:31pm
The last Premiership games are on 18th May, the last Top 14 on 25 May...even if Leinster win the Cup on 11 May I don’t see how the play off doesn’t happen.

Posted By: ScarletBear
Date Posted: 29 April 2019 at 4:50pm
It's a mess isn't it. Even though the playoff gives us a lifeline, the P14/RCC should either go for best placed 4th place or come up with some different rules that avoids an extra game. 

-------------
Scarlets before Wales

Date Posted: 29 April 2019 at 5:18pm
Jake Ball will be (according to an interview with Scrum V) available for this match.

Date Posted: 29 April 2019 at 5:19pm

</span>

Then why have a provisional date? Why not just say the date? I guess the only way this match won't go ahead is if Leinster win the Champions Cup & La Rochelle win the Challenge Cup.

Even if they win La Rochelle would still have to qualify in the league for a back door for another team.

Date Posted: 29 April 2019 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Even if they win La Rochelle would still have to qualify in the league for a back door for another team.

Have we missed a point here?

In accordance with a decision of the EPCR Board comprising the nine unions, federations and league bodies, the 20th place in the Heineken Champions Cup will be determined as follows:

i) Heineken Champions Cup winner, if not already qualified
ii) Challenge Cup winner, if not already qualified
iii) Challenge Cup losing finalist, if not already qualified
iv) Play-off match between the losing Challenge Cup semi-finalists, if not already qualified
v) Highest ranked non-qualified club by virtue of league position from the same league as the Heineken Champions Cup winner

Date Posted: 29 April 2019 at 5:44pm
Losing semi finalists in the Challenge Cup were Sale and Harlequins...so if they finish top 6 in the Prem that one is crushed..

Date Posted: 29 April 2019 at 6:18pm

Losing semi finalists in the Challenge Cup were Sale and Harlequins...so if they finish top 6 in the Prem that one is crushed..

Well with 5 points separating 4th down to 9th it may well happen.

Date Posted: 29 April 2019 at 6:18pm
In any sport, the 2 teams, if there is an extra spot, would be the two play off teams. otherwise, why have the play off. 
This is the sort of mess that comes with a league being split into conferences. it was a matter of when it would happen not if.
valid arguments for both sides, but for me, the structure is there for a play off, so the play off sides are the front runners. at the end of the day, we play a different set of fixtures. so a league standing isn't really a true reflection. stated this when they decided to have a conference instead of 14 teams in a league playing same fixtures.

Date Posted: 29 April 2019 at 6:24pm

Well with 5 points separating 4th down to 9th it may well happen.

Harlequins look to be ok for Top 6... for Sale it’s knicker tight...La Rochelle too ( just sacked their coach last week).

In summary it’s best we beat the Ospreys !

Date Posted: 29 April 2019 at 6:28pm

Jake Ball will be (according to an interview with Scrum V) available for this match.
for the usual 30/40 minutes.Ouch

Date Posted: 29 April 2019 at 7:12pm
That's better than nowt. 🤗

-------------
Keep the faith

Date Posted: 29 April 2019 at 7:21pm

That's better than nowt. 🤗
really?don't you think we should be looking for a player who is cheaper than a wales international on such wages who is either injured or on wales duty?

Posted By: turkishrebel
Date Posted: 29 April 2019 at 7:42pm
Very good roofer is Nige!

-------------
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!

Posted By: tannerbankboy
Date Posted: 29 April 2019 at 9:40pm
These permutations are mind boggling.  I just hope we don't need to play the game.  We are rubbish after breaks in the fixture list, I dread to think how we'd be after such a long gap between games.

Date Posted: 29 April 2019 at 9:55pm

[QUOTE=greypower1]That's better than nowt. 🤗

really?don't you think we should be looking for a player who is cheaper than a wales international on such wages who is either injured or on wales duty?
[/QUOTE

No. Other big earners in our squad have also been sidelined for long periods, Shingler, Halfpenny, Cubby, Rob Evans, Thompson, do you want to look for cheaper options than those guys too? If Jake can manage 40 minutes it will be an upgrade on our current boiler house options.

-------------
Keep the faith

Date Posted: 30 April 2019 at 12:28pm
Game is on the Saturday 7.45pm kick off apparently.

Date Posted: 01 May 2019 at 9:53am
Have read on another forum that the Ospreys are looking at playing Glasgow Warriors in a warm up match prior to the European Cup play off against us.

Posted By: supertaf
Date Posted: 01 May 2019 at 10:20am

Have read on another forum that the Ospreys are looking at playing Glasgow Warriors in a warm up match prior to the European Cup play off against us.

I was thinking that we need a warm up game as well, we are hopeless after any sort of break.

-------------
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872

Date Posted: 01 May 2019 at 10:28am
Originally posted by supertaf supertaf wrote:

I was thinking that we need a warm up game as well, we are hopeless after any sort of break.

Hmmm but who would be willing, plus then there will be the cost of putting the match on etc.

Date Posted: 01 May 2019 at 10:32am
I would hope that our proposed starting team, hopefully including returning injured guys like Steff Evans, Ryan Elias, Jake, Aaron, Blade & Cubby can get some meaningful opposed gametime behind closed doors. As for playing pro 14 opposition I have my doubts.

Date Posted: 01 May 2019 at 10:35am
Not sure it will help, we could get embarrassed in the warm up and then confidence is shattered going into the playoff.

Date Posted: 01 May 2019 at 10:52am
We're going to need something, the Ospreys are coming into the match on the back of 4 successive wins where as we have 1 win in 4.

Posted By: Sosban bach
Date Posted: 01 May 2019 at 11:25am
Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

Not sure it will help, we could get embarrassed in the warm up and then confidence is shattered going into the playoff.

Why break a habit of the season. We have a chance but we no way deserve it should go to blues and the o’s

Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 01 May 2019 at 11:30am
Yes we could do with some of them playing for Llanelli RFC so we ensure a big win on Saturday v Neath 🤔 what are they doing for the next 2 weeks 🤔🤨

Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 01 May 2019 at 11:33am

let’s hope for a handful of small key Ospreys injuries so it takes them past the 17th !

Posted By: M.M.
Date Posted: 01 May 2019 at 1:20pm

We're going to need something, the Ospreys are coming into the match on the back of 4 successive wins where as we have 1 win in 4.
They'd be massive favourites, being on their own ground and given our recent form.

Maybe, just maybe, we've got one decent performance to end the season on?

Posted By: cymraes
Date Posted: 01 May 2019 at 1:31pm
  Have I missed something?  Which Saturday is that?

Posted By: Sandman
Date Posted: 01 May 2019 at 3:50pm
Hopefully most of our injured players will return for this game including Jake and Shings. Players like this give us a better chance of winning, but we’re still strong second favourites. Underdogs still win though.

-------------
Only one team plays in red. (Sorry, Scarlet)

Posted By: supertaf
Date Posted: 01 May 2019 at 4:10pm

All I know is that every time we have a 2 week break, we play like we have never met each other. 3 weeks sounds too long. Even if it's a warm up against a regional club.

-------------
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872

Date Posted: 01 May 2019 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by supertaf supertaf wrote:

All I know is that every time we have a 2 week break, we play like we have never met each other. 3 weeks sounds too long. Even if it's a warm up against a regional club.

Could play it at Llandovery or Carmarthen

Date Posted: 01 May 2019 at 6:19pm
Could let our entire squad battle it out for a chance to play, like wales did the other year. We are a class above the local teams and it won’t prove anything drubbing a welsh prem side. I feel a challenge is better within our squad
15 - Halfpenny 15 - Mcnhicholl
14 -Nicholas     14 - steff
13 - Foxy.        13 - parkes
12 - asquith.     12 - fonotia
11- conbeer       11 - prydie
10 - patch          10 - jones
9 - G Davies.     9 -Hardy
8 - Macleod.      8- cassiem
7 - cubby.           7 boyde
6 - blade.          6 - kennedy
5 - bullbring.     5 - cummins
4 - ball.             4 - Rawlins
3- wyn             3 samson
2- sheriff          2 - elias
1- rob.             1- werner
Forgive the out of positions, but i think a training match would sort the men from the boys.

Posted By: ap sior
Date Posted: 01 May 2019 at 7:43pm

Could let our entire squad battle it out for a chance to play, like wales did the other year. We are a class above the local teams and it won’t prove anything drubbing a welsh prem side. I feel a challenge is better within our squad
Forgive the out of positions, but i think a training match would sort the men from the boys.

Rob Evans is out for the season. 

Posted By: dr_martinov
Date Posted: 02 May 2019 at 12:14pm

Interesting to see two full XVs up there (I know Rob is out) and reflect how our season has gone with those players, and perhaps also what sort of squad depth is required these days. Team 1 would annihilate team 2 as well. 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net