URL: http://www.scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=45558
Printed Date: 13 August 2020 at 3:01am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Wales v Baa Baas thread
Posted By: Fscarlet
Subject: Wales v Baa Baas thread
Date Posted: 12 November 2019 at 11:17am

The Baa-Baas squad has been announced.

Forwards: Tendai Mtawarira (South Africa), Rory Best (Ireland),Enrique Pieretto (Argentina), Luke Jones (Australia), Matt Philip (Australia), Pete Samu (Australia), Marco van Staden (South Africa),Josh Strauss (Scotland), Andrew Makalio (uncapped/Crusaders),Campese Ma’afu (Fiji), Hencus van Wyk (Uncapped/Sunwolves), Tyler Ardron (Canada), Angus Cottrell (uncapped/Rebels).

Backs: Makazole Mapimpi (South Africa), Mathieu Bastareaud (France), Lukhanyo Am (South Africa), Jano Vermaak (uncapped/Stormers), David Havili (New Zealand), Morne Steyn (South Africa), Santiago Iglesias (Argentina), Curwin Bosch (South Africa), Billy Meakes (uncapped/Rebels), Bautisa Ezcurra (Argentina), Andre Esterhuizen (South Africa), Joe Powell (Australia), Dillyn Leyds (South Africa).

Replies:
Posted By: aber-fan
Date Posted: 12 November 2019 at 1:35pm
I'm relieved that the Baa-Baas have not picked any Wales players - especially Scarlets - in their squad.

-------------
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)

Date Posted: 12 November 2019 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

I'm relieved that the Baa-Baas have not picked any Wales players - especially Scarlets - in their squad.

Don't they usually include 1 uncapped player from the nation they are playing?

Posted By: PE SA
Date Posted: 12 November 2019 at 2:37pm

dont believe they were allowed to pick any regional player...but as AWJ is technically a WRU player, he was touted for a BaaBaas call up.

Posted By: KID A
Date Posted: 13 November 2019 at 9:23am
Huge game this.

Posted By: Eastern outpost
Date Posted: 13 November 2019 at 9:26am
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

Huge game this.
For ££££££ or first of the new regime?

-------------
Any offence taken on board is only a literate/cy consequence. Every attempt at humour is just that. No personal insult intended. Standards lowered for trolls.

Date Posted: 13 November 2019 at 9:37am
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Huge game this.

I was being rather facetious. I'm absolutely fuming this game is being played. How anyone can take the pro14 seriously when there are internationals away every other game is beyond. Who organises an uncapped Wales match on a Pro14 weekend?

I guess the 4 welsh teams signed up to it. But that doesn't make it right. The WRU treats fans of domestic rugby in Wales like a joke.

Posted By: GPR - Rochester
Date Posted: 13 November 2019 at 9:48am

Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Huge game this.

I was being rather facetious. I'm absolutely fuming this game is being played. How anyone can take the pro14 seriously when there are internationals away every other game is beyond. Who organises an uncapped Wales match on a Pro14 weekend?

I guess the 4 welsh teams signed up to it. But that doesn't make it right. The WRU treats fans of domestic rugby in Wales like a joke.

While i see the need for income this game is real kick in the teeth for regional rugby. It really does make you think that successful regions are not very high on the WRU agenda despite protestations to the contrary. Our momentum will take a big hit if we get a tuning in Ulster. It continues to look as if the IRFU have proven far better custodians of their regional game.

Posted By: noobyy
Date Posted: 13 November 2019 at 10:26am
Imagine being one of the teams having to deal with this, with £2m less funding...

Posted By: ap sior
Date Posted: 13 November 2019 at 11:46am
1 Werner/Jeffries/Gardner
2 Taylor/Dafydd/Marc
3 Price/Fawcett
4 Lousi
5.Ratuva, Helps, Rawlins, Cummins
6 Blade/Phillips/Kennedy/Rawlins
7 Davis
8 Cassiem
9 Evans/Blacker
10 Angus/Ryan
11 James/Nicholas
12 Asquith/Hughes
13 Fonotia/Baldwin
14 Conbeer/Prydie
15???

That's not too bad a squad to send to Belfast to be honest. 

Posted By: minded
Date Posted: 13 November 2019 at 11:51am
Originally posted by noobyy noobyy wrote:

Imagine being one of the teams having to deal with this, with £2m less funding...
We have additional funding because we provide the most internationals to Team Wales.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPLe3ApXjW4&list=PL576FE48C1F044909&index=1" rel="nofollow - Scarlets Tries of the Season 2009 - 2019

Date Posted: 13 November 2019 at 11:58am
Originally posted by minded minded wrote:

We have additional funding because we provide the most internationals to Team Wales.
something the ospreys enjoyed back in the day and then after that they had the most NDCs than anyone so were only paying 40% for quite a number for players. And now, AWJ is a 100% paid by WRU...

Date Posted: 13 November 2019 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

something the ospreys enjoyed back in the day and then after that they had the most NDCs than anyone so were only paying 40% for quite a number for players. And now, AWJ is a 100% paid by WRU...

I am afraid the AWJ situation is a total travesty. Should never have been allowed. 

Date Posted: 13 November 2019 at 1:33pm
The 4 Welsh regions seemingly keep agreeing unanimously to these things.

Date Posted: 13 November 2019 at 1:53pm

The 4 Welsh regions seemingly keep agreeing unanimously to these things.

We're all in this together has a very shallow ring to it don't you think. More like jump & yes sir how far. It is high time we got someone professional, as opposed to failed B&Q Exec, to run the WRU. We are in desperate need of a commercially aware front man who can maximise revenues and understand that without regional rugby there is no national set up; no national set up = no cosy big bucks for the top brass. 

It is the stated aim to get our regions firing with qualification for the knock out stages of all competitions being the only yardstick on which to be judged. With English players returning to action some within 8 days of appearing in the final; Scottish players within 2 weeks of returning; even Irish players within 3 weeks it is deemed that our players need 4-6 weeks to get over their exploits in Japan. It really is a load of b.....ks. 

Posted By: SospanMawr
Date Posted: 13 November 2019 at 1:56pm
Unfortunately I suppose the WRU will be leaning on Pivac to pick a few stars so that the game is more marketable. I can only hope that Pivac knows the Scarlets boys well enough to not feel the need to select too many. 
Best case scenario he picks a team like:

1) Carre 2) Elias 3) Dillon Lewis 4) Cory Hill 5) Seb Davies 6) MacLeod 7) Ollie Griffiths 8) Taine Basham
9) Tomos Williams 10) Jarrod Evans 11) Luke Morgan 12) Scott 13) Halaholo 14) Owen Lane 15) Jonny McNicholl

Am I being too optimistic? 

Posted By: ap sior
Date Posted: 13 November 2019 at 1:57pm
Simples really. WRU want them fresh and firing for the 6N.

Date Posted: 13 November 2019 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

Unfortunately I suppose the WRU will be leaning on Pivac to pick a few stars so that the game is more marketable. I can only hope that Pivac knows the Scarlets boys well enough to not feel the need to select too many. 

1) Carre 2) Elias 3) Dillon Lewis 4) Cory Hill 5) Seb Davies 6) MacLeod 7) Ollie Griffiths 8) Taine Basham
9) Tomos Williams 10) Jarrod Evans 11) Luke Morgan 12) Scott 13) Halaholo 14) Owen Lane 15) Jonny McNicholl

Yes I am afraid - Carre not available as playing in England, Cory Hill, Ollie & Luke still injured. 

Date Posted: 13 November 2019 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Yes I am afraid - Carre not available as playing in England, Cory Hill, Ollie & Luke still injured. 
Didn’t think about Carre! 
Is Hill still injured? I thought it was just short term but meant he missed the World Cup.
Just read on Griffiths and Morgan, didn’t know about either of those injuries. Both pretty serious.

Date Posted: 13 November 2019 at 2:21pm

Didn’t think about Carre! 
Is Hill still injured? I thought it was just short term but meant he missed the World Cup.
Just read on Griffiths and Morgan, didn’t know about either of those injuries. Both pretty serious.

Cory is back in training but has yet to feature. This boy Griffiths is very frustrating - when he plays he is almost always MOM but he just keeps breaking down. Morgan damaged  his lower back and I think is due back in about 4-6 weeks. 

Date Posted: 13 November 2019 at 2:23pm
agree about Griffiths. So much potential. Seems his body cant cope with Pro14. International may not be for him unfortunately because of it. Such a shame as the lad is quality everytime he plays.

Date Posted: 13 November 2019 at 2:25pm

... some of whom we won't be getting back any time soon!

-------------
(Ivan Turgenev)

Date Posted: 13 November 2019 at 2:28pm
It really speaks volumes that we are where we are in the table and are still to get 13 players back from Japan. 

Date Posted: 13 November 2019 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

agree about Griffiths. So much potential. Seems his body cant cope with Pro14. International may not be for him unfortunately because of it. Such a shame as the lad is quality everytime he plays.

Yes - a real pity. And although Wales has a lot of back row talent, an awful lot of them have got injured at more or less the same time recently.

-------------
(Ivan Turgenev)

Date Posted: 13 November 2019 at 2:44pm
Just to clarify the current allocation from WRU (which will change season on season I believe)

Scarlets £6m
Ospreys £5.3m
Cardiff Blues £4.9m
Dragons £3.4m

Posted By: scarletnut
Date Posted: 13 November 2019 at 2:48pm

Just to clarify the current allocation from WRU (which will change season on season I believe)

Scarlets £6m
Ospreys £5.3m
Cardiff Blues £4.9m
Dragons £3.4m
The Scarlets budget is £7.7m

-------------
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1

Date Posted: 13 November 2019 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Scarlets £6m
Ospreys £5.3m
Cardiff Blues £4.9m
Dragons £3.4m

Yes it is.

Date Posted: 13 November 2019 at 2:56pm

Scarlets £6m
Ospreys £5.3m
Cardiff Blues £4.9m
Dragons £3.4m

Yes it is.

So with AWJ the Ospreys are pretty close to us. 

Date Posted: 13 November 2019 at 3:00pm

Scarlets £6m
Ospreys £5.3m
Cardiff Blues £4.9m
Dragons £3.4m

Yes it is.

Ospreys playing budget is around £6.5m

Date Posted: 13 November 2019 at 3:16pm

Scarlets £6m
Ospreys £5.3m
Cardiff Blues £4.9m
Dragons £3.4m

Yes it is.

Including AWJ?

Date Posted: 13 November 2019 at 3:23pm

Scarlets £6m
Ospreys £5.3m
Cardiff Blues £4.9m
Dragons £3.4m

Yes it is.

Including AWJ?

I'm unsure - the news of his contract was announced about a week after the playing budgets were announced. But I'd guess it is included.

Posted By: solva
Date Posted: 13 November 2019 at 4:43pm
Halfpenny will be fit for Barbarians match BBC report

Posted By: Legendinmybathroom
Date Posted: 13 November 2019 at 5:11pm

Scarlets £6m
Ospreys £5.3m
Cardiff Blues £4.9m
Dragons £3.4m

Yes it is.

Including AWJ?

I'm unsure - the news of his contract was announced about a week after the playing budgets were announced. But I'd guess it is included.

My understanding was that AWJs contract extension/ new contract was completed with the aid of the WRU after the budgets were announced, so I presume it isn’t included in those figures (or any increase in wages over his old WRU/NDC wouldn’t have been included).

Posted By: NobbySosban
Date Posted: 13 November 2019 at 5:30pm
Halfpenny should be fit to face the Baa-baas, then back to Scarlets, says Brad Mooar. I guess this news will boil some wee with some on here. Shocked

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/50398627" rel="nofollow - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/50398627

Posted By: Sosban89
Date Posted: 13 November 2019 at 7:54pm
Why is there talk of McNicholl playing for Wales? I think he's great. But he's 29 now. By the next world cup he will be 33. Is there no will to develop an actual Welsh youngster instead?

Date Posted: 13 November 2019 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by Sosban89 Sosban89 wrote:

Why is there talk of McNicholl playing for Wales? I think he's great. But he's 29 now. By the next world cup he will be 33. Is there no will to develop an actual Welsh youngster instead?
It’s not all geared towards the World Cup though is it? On current form he’s probably the best back three player in Wales bar Josh Adams. If he helps improve the depth/starting XV of Wales he should play for Wales simple as.

Date Posted: 14 November 2019 at 5:29am

It’s not all geared towards the World Cup though is it? On current form he’s probably the best back three player in Wales bar Josh Adams. If he helps improve the depth/starting XV of Wales he should play for Wales simple as.

With Liam definitely out for a while, and Halfpenny a doubt for this Baa-Baas game, Jonny would seem to be the next man in line... maybe not ideal given his age, but there's nothing to be gained by throwing a player in at the deep end who is either not good enough, or too inexperienced.

-------------
(Ivan Turgenev)

Posted By: ladram
Date Posted: 14 November 2019 at 6:22am

With Liam definitely out for a while, and Halfpenny a doubt for this Baa-Baas game, Jonny would seem to be the next man in line... maybe not ideal given his age, but there's nothing to be gained by throwing a player in at the deep end who is either not good enough, or too inexperienced.
it's the baa baa's i couldn't think of a better game to blood any player.

-------------
30th june 1986- 30th june 2011.25 years roofing,i wouldn't call that dodgy.

Date Posted: 14 November 2019 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

it's the baa baa's i couldn't think of a better game to blood any player.

Maybe if it was Gatland picking the Wales team! He'd have nothing to lose.

With a brand new coaching staff (well, almost), Pivac and Stevo will be desperate to get off the mark with a win, regardless of the situation. I very much doubt they'll select anyone from outside the usual frame.

-------------
(Ivan Turgenev)

Date Posted: 15 November 2019 at 11:44am

at the moment, both of Wales 15s potentially wont be in the World Cup - Halfpenny and Sanjay.

McNicholl a fine boost to the back 3 over the next 3 years to bridge the gap until current crop of youngsters have gained enough Pro14 exposure before putting their hands up for international.

This is where Mcnicholl and Halaholo will be vital for Wales strength in depth.

Posted By: crj89
Date Posted: 15 November 2019 at 12:14pm
Pivac will be judged on results now, not on a World in 4 years, if he has the choice of playing McNicholl over Matthew Morgan/Jordan Williams etc. I think it's a no brainer regardless of age.

Date Posted: 15 November 2019 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by crj89 crj89 wrote:

Pivac will be judged on results now, not on a World in 4 years, if he has the choice of playing McNicholl over Matthew Morgan/Jordan Williams etc. I think it's a no brainer regardless of age.

Blunt, but true!

-------------
(Ivan Turgenev)

Posted By: Jones2004
Date Posted: 15 November 2019 at 6:03pm
Byron Hayward finally confirmed as part of the coaching team with Sam Warburton brought in as a breakdown specialist. Brilliant that they’ve brought Sam’s expertise in, not allowing his expertise to improve other nations (thinking about Adam Jones especially.)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/50437703?ns_source=facebook&ns_linkname=wales&ns_campaign=bbc_backing_the_boys&ns_mchannel=social" rel="nofollow - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/50437703?ns_source=facebook&ns_linkname=wales&ns_campaign=bbc_backing_the_boys&ns_mchannel=social

Date Posted: 18 November 2019 at 4:46pm
A squad, of around 30 players, will be announced tomorrow at 11am. Every, non injured, Wales based Welsh player will be eligible, even those who played at the RWC as the rest period can be taken in blocks as opposed to taking (up to) 6 weeks off in one go.

Date Posted: 18 November 2019 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

A squad, of around 30 players, will be announced tomorrow at 11am. Every, non injured, Wales based Welsh player will be eligible, even those who played at the RWC as the rest period can be taken in blocks as opposed to taking (up to) 6 weeks off in one go.

Some of the squad already back playing in England - Biggar and Carre, for example. We have some non-Welsh RWC players already turning out in Wales, e.g. Blade.

-------------
(Ivan Turgenev)

Posted By: PTScarlet
Date Posted: 19 November 2019 at 12:27am
Have a feeling we will be decimated for the away trip to Ulster. Not ideal.

-------------
One eyed turk, nothing more nothing less.

Date Posted: 19 November 2019 at 11:45am
Forwards:
Elliot Dee (Dragons), Ryan Elias (Scarlets), Ken Owens (Scarlets), Rob Evans (Scarlets), Wyn Jones (Scarlets), Nicky Smith (Ospreys), Leon Brown (Dragons), Samson Lee (Scarlets), Dillon Lewis (Cardiff Blues), Jake Ball (Scarlets), Adam Beard (Ospreys), Bradley Davies (Ospreys), Seb Davies (Cardiff Blues), Taine Basham (Dragons), Ollie Griffiths (Dragons), Shane Lewis-Hughes (Cardiff Blues), Ross Moriarty (Dragons), Aaron Shingler (Scarlets), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Aaron Wainwright (Dragons).

Backs:
Aled Davies (Ospreys), Gareth Davies (Scarlets), Tomos Williams (Cardiff Blues), Sam Davies (Dragons), Jarrod Evans (Cardiff Blues), Willis Halaholo (Cardiff Blues), Hadleigh Parkes (Scarlets), Owen Watkin (Ospreys), Owen Lane (Cardiff Blues), Josh Adams (Cardiff Blues), Steff Evans (Scarlets), Ashton Hewitt (Dragons), Johnny McNicholl (Scarlets), Hallam Amos (Cardiff Blues), Leigh Halfpenny (Scarlets).

Notable omissions: Cubby (injured?), Josh Mac & Kieran Hardy for us, Scott Williams for the Os. All the top-line RWC players included if fit, some named will train with Wales before being released, injured players will join the scene-setting sessions.

Posted By: Mr Ian
Date Posted: 19 November 2019 at 11:56am
gutted for Dan Jones, at the momente he desreves the call up. Hope Pivac can change his idea about Kinky and watch his progress....
Of course happy for the rest of the boys called, with Johnny in his first cap...

Date Posted: 19 November 2019 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by Mr Ian Mr Ian wrote:

gutted for Dan Jones, at the momente he desreves the call up. Hope Pivac can change his idea about Kinky and watch his progress....
Of course happy for the rest of the boys called, with Johnny in his first cap...
We all may have to change our ideas about Kinky, Angelo. Embarrassed

No caps awarded for this game, but some clear hints of Pivac's thinking for 6Ns.

Posted By: Hendre
Date Posted: 19 November 2019 at 1:01pm
Kinky? Very interesting 😁

-------------
You were born to win, but to be a winner, you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.
Zig Ziglar

Date Posted: 19 November 2019 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by NobbySosban NobbySosban wrote:

Originally posted by Mr Ian Mr Ian wrote:

We all may have to change our ideas about Kinky, Angelo. Embarrassed

No caps awarded for this game, but some clear hints of Pivac's thinking for 6Ns.

Don't know how much we can read into this squad if I am honest. Only real surprises for me are Halaholo before Scott and the selection of Lewis-Hughes. I think come 6 nations that WillGriff John from Sale will be pushing very hard at TH, the back row will be boosted by the returns of Ellis Jenkins, Navidi & Faletau. Halaholo may be good going forward but he is an accident waiting to happen defensively. 

Glad to see Seb Davies back as I was a little surprised to see Bradley ahead of him. Also encouraging to see Pivac selecting Steff Evans. Young Basham is a serious talent but I would question if he is ahead of Josh Mcleod at this point in time. 

Posted By: Sosban89
Date Posted: 19 November 2019 at 1:25pm
I find it all rather embarrassing and wrong that McNicholl and Halaholo get to don the red jerseys rather than our own kin. I know every nation does it, but it just seems ridiculous to me. I feel less and less connect with the national team these days. 

Posted By: Mr Ian
Date Posted: 19 November 2019 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by Hendre Hendre wrote:

Kinky? Very interesting 😁
It s not easy to talk to your boss and at the game time read and write on the forum, sometimes goes wrong...but as someone says Scarlerfever first...

Posted By: Rich (Bris)
Date Posted: 19 November 2019 at 2:05pm

I find it all rather embarrassing and wrong that McNicholl and Halaholo get to don the red jerseys rather than our own kin. I know every nation does it, but it just seems ridiculous to me. I feel less and less connect with the national team these days. 

I agree with your first two sentences. Very good players though they are it does international rugby harm to have this go on and gives those wanting to have a pop at the Welsh team great ammunition. The increase to 5 years will start to have an impact but ......

As for less connection with the national team, that will happen to me if in the Six Nations we have Parkes, Hahaholo and McNicholl all playing at the same time, but I'll wait and see if that happens - but the last teams we put out (in RWC) have been very Welsh.

Date Posted: 19 November 2019 at 3:28pm

Forwards:
Elliot Dee (Dragons), Ryan Elias (Scarlets), Ken Owens (Scarlets), Rob Evans (Scarlets), Wyn Jones (Scarlets), Nicky Smith (Ospreys), Leon Brown (Dragons), Samson Lee (Scarlets), Dillon Lewis (Cardiff Blues), Jake Ball (Scarlets), Adam Beard (Ospreys), Bradley Davies (Ospreys), Seb Davies (Cardiff Blues), Taine Basham (Dragons), Ollie Griffiths (Dragons), Shane Lewis-Hughes (Cardiff Blues), Ross Moriarty (Dragons), Aaron Shingler (Scarlets), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Aaron Wainwright (Dragons).

Backs:
Aled Davies (Ospreys), Gareth Davies (Scarlets), Tomos Williams (Cardiff Blues), Sam Davies (Dragons), Jarrod Evans (Cardiff Blues), Willis Halaholo (Cardiff Blues), Hadleigh Parkes (Scarlets), Owen Watkin (Ospreys), Owen Lane (Cardiff Blues), Josh Adams (Cardiff Blues), Steff Evans (Scarlets), Ashton Hewitt (Dragons), Johnny McNicholl (Scarlets), Hallam Amos (Cardiff Blues), Leigh Halfpenny (Scarlets).

Notable omissions: Cubby (injured?), Josh Mac & Kieran Hardy for us, Scott Williams for the Os. All the top-line RWC players included if fit, some named will train with Wales before being released, injured players will join the scene-setting sessions.

Congratulations to the Scarlets selected, especially McNicholl (first call-up) and Steff Evans (after a period in the wilderness).

Cubby must be injured, surely? The back row is an area of strength in Wales, but I'm very surprised that Macleod isn't there yet - he will be soon for sure. 

From a purely selfish PoV, it's good for the Scarlets that Hardy and Dan Jones are not selected, though I feel that Hardy is definitely better than Aled, and that Dan has been playing better than Sam, though he's picked up since leaving the Os.

-------------
(Ivan Turgenev)

Posted By: Ffidel Bennett
Date Posted: 19 November 2019 at 4:38pm
I feel taking our 5 best front row players is a bit inconsiderate. He could at least have left us with Ryan and Samson (neither normally considered the best exponents of Barbarian style carefree running rugby) to give us some sort of chance against an unaffected Ulster.

Posted By: LLANDRE
Date Posted: 19 November 2019 at 4:49pm
New Zealand thirds v Barbarians

-------------
West is Best (Fin gwybod)

Posted By: Mogwen
Date Posted: 19 November 2019 at 6:02pm
I think josh has been hard done on tbis selection. I havent seen anything in the cardiff backrower that merits a call up.

-------------
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Date Posted: 20 November 2019 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by Mogwen Mogwen wrote:

I think josh has been hard done on tbis selection. I havent seen anything in the cardiff backrower that merits a call up.

TBH, I'd never even heard of him until this week!

-------------
(Ivan Turgenev)

Date Posted: 20 November 2019 at 3:28pm

I think Josh is ahead of both Basham & Griffiths at the moment. Griffiths, I must admit, has the ability to be one of the top 7's in Wales but he is so injury prone. As for this boy Lewis-Hughes I like the look of him - at 18 stone + & 6 foot 4" he is a very effective carrier & lineout operator. If Pivac has decided to use this game to look at guys he doesn't know a lot about then his back row could well be Lewis-Hughes at 6, Basham at 7 & Wainwright at 8 with Griffiths on the bench. Tips, Moriarty and Aaron back with their regions - simples. 

Date Posted: 20 November 2019 at 3:51pm
Has to be Tipuric or Ken to be captain - no one else close - unless Pivac goes with a surprise/inspired choice as Gatland did with Warburton all those years ago, but probably wouldn't with AWJ still very much the incumbent.

Date Posted: 20 November 2019 at 3:59pm

Has to be Tipuric or Ken to be captain - no one else close - unless Pivac goes with a surprise/inspired choice as Gatland did with Warburton all those years ago, but probably wouldn't with AWJ still very much the incumbent.

Somehow, the team didn't play well when Tips captained at the RWC - not saying it was his fault, but neither did he seem capable of getting the guys to shape up - so I'd give Ken a chance, which as a super-proud Cymro, he'd really respond to. 

-------------
(Ivan Turgenev)

Posted By: 157cb
Date Posted: 20 November 2019 at 4:33pm

I think Josh is ahead of both Basham & Griffiths at the moment. Griffiths, I must admit, has the ability to be one of the top 7's in Wales but he is so injury prone. As for this boy Lewis-Hughes I like the look of him - at 18 stone + & 6 foot 4" he is a very effective carrier & lineout operator. If Pivac has decided to use this game to look at guys he doesn't know a lot about then his back row could well be Lewis-Hughes at 6, Basham at 7 & Wainwright at 8 with Griffiths on the bench. Tips, Moriarty and Aaron back with their regions - simples. 

Josh his unlucky not to be selected , but this lad Basham is as good as any Welsh back row forward I have seen at his age .

Posted By: greypower1
Date Posted: 20 November 2019 at 4:40pm
Basham must be the best name ever for a back rower.WinkBig smile

-------------
Keep the faith

Date Posted: 22 November 2019 at 8:28am
Pivac getting into dangerous territory suggesting that Halaholo & Jonny will need to be much better than real Welsh alternatives. Either they are eligible or they are not. Currently we have Adams who is on form the first name in the back 3, then we have Liam at FB or if not available Leigh. The interesting selection is at 14. On recent form ( past 18 months) Jonny is streets ahead of all other challengers - North, Amos, Lane & Holmes.

At 12 the situation is completely different. If Pivac is true to his word then both Halaholo & the current incumbent Parkes will struggle to be selected ahead of Scott & Watkin. I also remain convinced that Gatland, given his clearly limited gameplan, would have been far better served in Japan with Jamie Roberts at 12. 

Date Posted: 22 November 2019 at 1:39pm

Pivac getting into dangerous territory suggesting that Halaholo & Jonny will need to be much better than real Welsh alternatives. Either they are eligible or they are not. Currently we have Adams who is on form the first name in the back 3, then we have Liam at FB or if not available Leigh. The interesting selection is at 14. On recent form ( past 18 months) Jonny is streets ahead of all other challengers - North, Amos, Lane & Holmes.

At 12 the situation is completely different. If Pivac is true to his word then both Halaholo & the current incumbent Parkes will struggle to be selected ahead of Scott & Watkin. I also remain convinced that Gatland, given his clearly limited gameplan, would have been far better served in Japan with Jamie Roberts at 12. 

The WM is being a bit naughty here in using a partial quote. What Pivac actually said was this:

"I've got a rule of thumb that if we select someone on the residential rules, in the view of the selectors they have to be playing that much better than the local."

"THAT much better" surely means, a bit better - a measurable difference - rather than "MUCH better", which implies a gulf in performance.

Pivac will learn how to weigh his words more carefully, for fear of mis-quoting or misrepresentation, in future!

-------------
(Ivan Turgenev)

Date Posted: 26 November 2019 at 8:25am
Ok so what team will he select. I would think that Jonny is a shoe in to start. My guess would be :-

15. Halfers 14. Jonny 13. Watkin 12. Parkes 11. Adams 10. Evans 9. Cawdor
1. Wyn 2. Ken 3. Samson 4. Jake 5. Beard 6. Lewis-Hughes 7. Tipuric 8. Wainwright

16. Dee 17. Rob 18. Lewis 19. Seb 20. Basham 21. Tomos 22. Sam 23. Lane 

The ability of Aaron to cover the back 5 & Amos to cover back 3 and at a push 13 may make them favourites for the 24th & 25th men.  Hopefully that would mean we get Steff & Ryan back for the Belfast trip. 

Finally great to see Scott back training with the squad. Hope he can put his fitness issues behind him & reclaim his 12 jersey for the 6 nations. 

Posted By: crj89
Date Posted: 26 November 2019 at 10:36am

Ok so what team will he select. I would think that Jonny is a shoe in to start. My guess would be :-

1. Wyn 2. Ken 3. Samson 4. Jake 5. Beard 6. Lewis-Hughes 7. Tipuric 8. Wainwright

The ability of Aaron to cover the back 5 & Amos to cover back 3 and at a push 13 may make them favourites for the 24th & 25th men.  Hopefully that would mean we get Steff & Ryan back for the Belfast trip. 

Finally great to see Scott back training with the squad. Hope he can put his fitness issues behind him & reclaim his 12 jersey for the 6 nations. 

As it's just an exhibition game I would like to think that they'd have one eye on helping the regions also, there's nothing on this Barbarians game.

Think the backs will be bang on, maybe McNicholl full back.

Would hope they'd leave one of Wyn Jones or Rob Evans at the region, same goes for one of Ken Owens or Ryan Elias. Would be nice if they left one of McNicholl or Halfpenny at the region also but can't see it unfortunately.

Posted By: tannerbankboy
Date Posted: 26 November 2019 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by crj89 crj89 wrote:

As it's just an exhibition game I would like to think that they'd have one eye on helping the regions also, there's nothing on this Barbarians game.

Think the backs will be bang on, maybe McNicholl full back.

Would hope they'd leave one of Wyn Jones or Rob Evans at the region, same goes for one of Ken Owens or Ryan Elias. Would be nice if they left one of McNicholl or Halfpenny at the region also but can't see it unfortunately.

I can't see that the WRU has given the regions even a seconds thought when arranging this match. Filling their coffers being their only concern. Other unions have managed to plan for RWC this year without AI's.

Date Posted: 27 November 2019 at 5:21pm
Nice little insight to the Wales camp under Pivac -  https://www.facebook.com/WelshRugbyUnion/videos/789568494813598/" rel="nofollow - https://www.facebook.com/WelshRugbyUnion/videos/789568494813598/

Johnny Mc in Wales stash looks a natural - he's getting Welsh anthem lessons from Steff H. Tongue

Posted By: Realwest
Date Posted: 27 November 2019 at 6:18pm
anyone know where the baa baas will be out in cardiff this week im up here doing a course and i got my end of course social tomorrow would b good to see them out on their team social

Posted By: PTScarlet
Date Posted: 28 November 2019 at 1:30am
Originally posted by Realwest Realwest wrote:

anyone know where the baa baas will be out in cardiff this week im up here doing a course and i got my end of course social tomorrow would b good to see them out on their team social

Almost any of the 100s of pubs in Cardiff. My guess would be Walkabout

-------------
One eyed turk, nothing more nothing less.

Date Posted: 28 November 2019 at 8:44am
Wales side announced at 11.

Date Posted: 28 November 2019 at 9:38am
Anyone with any news of any players released back to the clubs?

Posted By: Sosban bach
Date Posted: 28 November 2019 at 9:39am

Wales side announced at 11.
In time for us to have a couple back then hopefully although wouldn’t be surprised if brad has already picked his team.

Date Posted: 28 November 2019 at 9:41am

Anyone with any news of any players released back to the clubs?

I'd like to think we could get a prop & a hooker back at the very least.

Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 28 November 2019 at 10:31am
What’s this about God Save the Queen being played for the Ba Bas as their anthem? 🤔

-------------
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook

Date Posted: 28 November 2019 at 11:05am

1. Wyn Jones
2. Ken Owens
3. Dillon Lewis
4. Jake Ball
5. Adam Beard
6. Aaron Shingler
7. Justin Tipuric (c)
8. Aaron Wainwright

9. Tomos Williams
10. Jarrod Evans
11. Josh Adams
12. Hadleigh Parkes
13. Owen Watkin
14. Johnny McNicholl
15. Leigh Halfpenny

Replacements:

16. Elliot Dee
17. Rob Evans
18. Leon Brown
19. Seb Davies
20. Ollie Griffiths
21. Gareth Davies
22. Sam Davies
23. Owen Lane​

Date Posted: 28 November 2019 at 11:08am
Thats Steff, Ryan & Samson should be available for Ulster.

Date Posted: 28 November 2019 at 11:16am

Less than an hour to find out.

Date Posted: 28 November 2019 at 11:21am
Congratulations to all Scarlets selected - especially Jonny on his first cap. 9 Scarlets in all if I counted right.

It's really good - and reassuring - to see that Halfpenny is fit to start - and Hadleigh, too, for that matter.

-------------
(Ivan Turgenev)

Date Posted: 28 November 2019 at 11:24am

Congratulations to all Scarlets selected - especially Jonny on his first cap. 9 Scarlets in all if I counted right.

It's really good - and reassuring - to see that Halfpenny is fit to start - and Hadleigh, too, for that matter.

Congratulations to all Scarlets selected!! No cap game though .

Date Posted: 28 November 2019 at 11:26am
Didn't the Baa Baas used to select one 'home' uncapped player in their team/squad?

Posted By: Owen111
Date Posted: 28 November 2019 at 11:27am

Less than an hour to find out.

Wouldnt they be there as emergency subs in case someone goes down in captains run / pre match warmup ?

Need 6 front row on the team sheet. 

Date Posted: 28 November 2019 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

Congratulations to all Scarlets selected!! No cap game though .

Good point - I forgot about that.Embarrassed

-------------
(Ivan Turgenev)

Posted By: turkishrebel
Date Posted: 28 November 2019 at 5:02pm
is the game on TV? 

-------------
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!

Date Posted: 28 November 2019 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by turkishrebel turkishrebel wrote:

is the game on TV? 

Channel 4 Steve .

Date Posted: 28 November 2019 at 7:09pm
thanks mark,  didn't know. 

-------------

Date Posted: 29 November 2019 at 9:59am
Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

Originally posted by turkishrebel turkishrebel wrote:

is the game on TV? 

Channel 4 Steve .

Thanks - gyda'r merched ar S4C o 11.35 (Wales Women v Barbarians on S4C, KO 11.45).

-------------
(Ivan Turgenev)

Date Posted: 29 November 2019 at 10:15am
thanks aber, will be sitting down early tomorrow Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 29 November 2019 at 10:40am
was out all night and only saw rory best and nick williams having a good old ulster catch up , nick williams said “my neck is [beep]ed” so don't expect to see him too much in the near future on the plus side woke up to seeing the wales women in my hotel 

Posted By: Sosban bach
Date Posted: 29 November 2019 at 11:05am

was out all night and only saw rory best and nick williams having a good old ulster catch up , nick williams said “my neck is [beep]ed” so don't expect to see him too much in the near future on the plus side woke up to seeing the wales women in my hotel 
Now that sounds like a busy night WinkLOL

Date Posted: 29 November 2019 at 1:26pm

My brain jumped forward a bit too quickly and thought your last word was 'bed'!Embarrassed

As for Nick Williams - he's as good a liar as he is a cheap shot merchant - he doesn't even have a neck!

-------------
(Ivan Turgenev)

Date Posted: 29 November 2019 at 2:24pm
ha ha there is a few i wouldn't mind in my bed but they probably have more sense and good taste in men 

Date Posted: 30 November 2019 at 10:45am
I know this is not our favourite fixture but I would like to wish Wayne, Stevo & Byron a good start to their coaching regime. Enjoy it boys and get this Welsh team running & passing. Remember the words of the Master (no not Gatland) our very own Carwyn " let the ball do the work".

Date Posted: 30 November 2019 at 2:02pm

I know this is not our favourite fixture but I would like to wish Wayne, Stevo & Byron a good start to their coaching regime. Enjoy it boys and get this Welsh team running & passing. Remember the words of the Master (no not Gatland) our very own Carwyn " let the ball do the work".

Fair comment - they did wonders for the region (except last season, best forgotten) and those of us who travelled to Dublin to see the mighty Munster humbled and destroyed in less than half an hour will never forget it.

Good luck to the guys, and diolch!

-------------
(Ivan Turgenev)

Posted By: EJPT
Date Posted: 30 November 2019 at 3:31pm
Johnny mach first try in welsh colours. Ken owens also scoring. Halfpenny dominating. Bodes well for their return

Date Posted: 30 November 2019 at 3:34pm
A very decent half of rugby - Jarrod Evans pulling the strings well at 10. All the Scarlets prominent at various times.

-------------
(Ivan Turgenev)

Posted By: Eastern outpost
Date Posted: 30 November 2019 at 3:35pm
Josh Adams being tackled and landing on his head after legs going above the horizontal, sparked a bit of an almost brawl. 

Nigel Owens decided not to refer it to the TMO, perhaps as the result would not have been in keeping with the occasion.

There’s been a fair bit of ill-feeling around in this exhibition match.

-------------
Any offence taken on board is only a literate/cy consequence. Every attempt at humour is just that. No personal insult intended. Standards lowered for trolls.

Posted By: Cofi
Date Posted: 30 November 2019 at 3:36pm
Jake and Wyn looking pretty sharp as well! Well deserved try for Johnny after some lovely play. 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net