Forum Description: Team News, Season Tickets, Next Match
URL: https://scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=45588
Printed Date: 28 March 2024 at 3:44pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Injury updates
Posted By: supertaf
Subject: Injury updates
Date Posted: 25 November 2019 at 1:27pm
Can we get a regular injury update on the squad particularly when we are struggling for players

I know some of these are injured but what about the rest, dont even seem to be playing for the clubs:-

Leigh
Foxy - Out season
Patch - Out 3 months
Taylor Davies
Dafydd Hughes
Ed Kennedy
Tom Philips
Dan Davis
Cubby - out 2 weeks?
Tomi Lewis
Ryan Conbeer

-------------
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872

Replies:
Posted By: ap sior
Date Posted: 25 November 2019 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by supertaf supertaf wrote:

Can we get a regular injury update on the squad particularly when we are struggling for players

I know some of these are injured but what about the rest, dont even seem to be playing for the clubs:-

Leigh 
Foxy - Out season
Patch - Out 3 months
Taylor Davies
Dafydd Hughes
Ed Kennedy
Tom Philips
Dan Davis
Cubby - out 2 weeks?
Tomi Lewis
Ryan Conbeer

LH is ok now and is in the squad to play the Ba Baas

Taylor Davies injured his knee against LI.

Dafydd Hughes has not been fit to play this season at all.

Conbeer limped off against Benetton.

Others I don't know about.

There may some rotation going on too.

Also don't forget, it has been pointed out before that the players, like us, have a right to confidentiality when it comes to their medical condition.

Posted By: 157cb
Date Posted: 25 November 2019 at 2:04pm

Leigh
Foxy - Out season
Patch - Out 3 months
Taylor Davies
Dafydd Hughes
Ed Kennedy
Tom Philips
Dan Davis
Cubby - out 2 weeks?
Tomi Lewis
Ryan Conbeer

As far as I know Daf Hughes, Tomi Lewis, Kennedy and Conbeer are fit, none were listed as injured on Toulon selection announcement .

Posted By: solva
Date Posted: 25 November 2019 at 2:36pm
but Tom Prydie (hamstring) was.  plus Joe Roberts (knee).

Posted By: Sosban bach
Date Posted: 25 November 2019 at 2:41pm
halvers wanted to play last Friday but not allowed by team wales as is the running theme no matter who is in charge.

Posted By: GPR - Rochester
Date Posted: 25 November 2019 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by Sosban bach Sosban bach wrote:

halvers wanted to play last Friday but not allowed by team wales as is the running theme no matter who is in charge.

Absolute nonsense - Leigh didn't play too many minutes in Japan & it is well documented that his HIA was precautionary and he would have played against NZ had the turnaround been longer. He had around  4 weeks off by the Toulon game so should have been allowed to play against his old team. 

Posted By: NobbySosban
Date Posted: 25 November 2019 at 3:35pm
Not sure some understand that the Wales RWC squad were in intensive training for ~4 months, with around 10 weeks in camp in Japan - it's not just about game time, it's the hours, days, weeks, months of arduous physical training and preparation. They all need time to recover and decompress from an intense period in their lives.

The WRU's post-RWC return protocols may be more protective of players than those of other unions, but I would tend to think that they're for the best in the long run. Gatland's boot camps have always seemed to push players further and cause more injuries.

Posted By: greypower1
Date Posted: 25 November 2019 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by NobbySosban NobbySosban wrote:

Not sure some understand that the Wales RWC squad were in intensive training for ~4 months, with around 10 weeks in camp in Japan - it's not just about game time, it's the hours, days, weeks, months of arduous physical training and preparation. They all need time to recover and decompress from an intense period in their lives.

The WRU's post-RWC return protocols may be more protective of players than those of other unions, but I would tend to think that they're for the best in the long run. Gatland's boot camps have always seemed to push players further and cause more injuries.
Shouldn't they be subject to the same workloads and intensity levels for their clubs?  They are full time rugby pros. It's their job after all.  I don't understand the concept of being fitter for international rugby than club rugby. 
The players who have played for us this season have been flogging themselves week after week in horrendous weather conditions, what about the elite boys giving them a little break?

-------------
Keep the faith

Posted By: Fscarlet
Date Posted: 25 November 2019 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by greypower1 greypower1 wrote:

Shouldn't they be subject to the same workloads and intensity levels for their clubs?  They are full time rugby pros. It's their job after all.  I don't understand the concept of being fitter for international rugby than club rugby. 
The players who have played for us this season have been flogging themselves week after week in horrendous weather conditions, what about the elite boys giving them a little break?

But didn't they have a break over the summer?

Date Posted: 25 November 2019 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

I would have thought a couple of weeks off ( like I used to get in my job) and then back to work on pre-season training in order to become super fit for the start of the season proper.

-------------
Keep the faith

Date Posted: 25 November 2019 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by solva solva wrote:

but Tom Prydie (hamstring) was.  plus Joe Roberts (knee).

Thanks, I knew there were a few I had missed

-------------

Date Posted: 25 November 2019 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

Leigh 
Foxy - Out season
Patch - Out 3 months
Taylor Davies
Dafydd Hughes
Ed Kennedy
Tom Philips
Dan Davis
Cubby - out 2 weeks?
Tomi Lewis
Ryan Conbeer

Also don't forget, it has been pointed out before that the players, like us, have a right to confidentiality when it comes to their medical condition.
For your last point while I agree we dont need to know the nuts and bolts, saying `out hamstring` is hardly confidential.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 November 2019 at 5:10pm
Remember the famous international cricketer who was sidelined with a 'lower back injury'?  Turned out he struck down with  the Farmer's......

Posted By: Mugwuffin
Date Posted: 25 November 2019 at 5:11pm

Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

Leigh 
Foxy - Out season
Patch - Out 3 months
Taylor Davies
Dafydd Hughes
Ed Kennedy
Tom Philips
Dan Davis
Cubby - out 2 weeks?
Tomi Lewis
Ryan Conbeer

For your last point while I agree we dont need to know the nuts and bolts, saying `out hamstring` is hardly confidential.
However, if that player wishes to move clubs, or to take out private medical insurance, he probably doesn’t want a quick google search revealing every injury he’s ever had. 

Posted By: NobbySosban
Date Posted: 25 November 2019 at 5:17pm

Internationals often talk about the huge step up in intensity, in training as well as the matches, between pro and Test rugby, especially under Gatland's regime. They've been monstered in preparation for RWC with hot weather & high altitude environments, rather more than the Scarlets squad pre-season, I'd suggest, as intensive as that may be for pro level rugby.

Posted By: Huwbach
Date Posted: 25 November 2019 at 7:16pm

You need to read up about periodisation in training. It’s impossible to be at peak fitness for prolonged periods of time. The Welsh squad would have spent months building phases to a point where they hit peak fitness during the World Cup regardless of how many matches they played. They need to rest and become ‘less fit’ to build up again otherwise as Tipuric stated in his interview they will break down later in the season physically and maybe mentally. You could argue that Wales players are regularly put in the over training phase due to lack of depth. Parkes is a clear example of this - playing in a broken down state.

Date Posted: 25 November 2019 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by Huwbach Huwbach wrote:

You need to read up about periodisation in training. It’s impossible to be at peak fitness for prolonged periods of time. The Welsh squad would have spent months building phases to a point where they hit peak fitness during the World Cup regardless of how many matches they played. They need to rest and become ‘less fit’ to build up again otherwise as Tipuric stated in his interview they will break down later in the season physically and maybe mentally. You could argue that Wales players are regularly put in the over training phase due to lack of depth. Parkes is a clear example of this - playing in a broken down state.
So when it comes to the Six Nations the players are not at peak fitness because they haven't had months of conditioning, just a couple of weeks?  

-------------
Keep the faith

Posted By: Huwbach
Date Posted: 25 November 2019 at 8:49pm

Originally posted by Huwbach Huwbach wrote:

So when it comes to the Six Nations the players are not at peak fitness because they haven't had months of conditioning, just a couple of weeks?  

That would be a different scenario to having the squad months in advance - based on what state the players had arrived in. I’m guessing the regions share player data with the Welsh setup on a regular basis so they know where they are before they arrive, or not in the case of Rhys Carre where he was considered overweight on arrival. Managing the fitness of 30 + individuals is a hell of a task for the coaching staff in every set up I’m sure. 

Posted By: SospanMawr
Date Posted: 25 November 2019 at 9:02pm

I would have thought a couple of weeks off ( like I used to get in my job) and then back to work on pre-season training in order to become super fit for the start of the season proper.
Couple of reasons- more time in camp (Welsh players/internationals often don’t get a full pre season with us due to summer tour/extended breaks etc).
Better facilities- e.g. cryotherapy which allows for a higher volume of intensive training. Trips to the Swiss Alps for altitude training, Turkey for warm weather training. The regions can’t afford this.
Better quality coaches- Bobby Stridgeon is the Welsh fitness coach and is widely regarded as one of the best at his job in the world. Also been on Lions tours as fitness coach. Not saying regional/club fitness coaches are poor but very rare to find one on his level.
Little/no distractions and higher “buy-in” = at home they have friends, partners, outside interests etc. In Welsh camps these are limited. Players also know even for a 12 year career in pro rugby they’re likely to only have 3 World Cups (at best). So they put that extra 0.1% in. Same as anyone does in a work environment- when you think something’s especially important, you concentrate and put in more.
Higher quality teammates- they are usually competing with the fittest of the fittest, which in turn drives higher quality. For example (no disrespect intended) Samson would likely do better in a bleep test against Dillon Lewis, Tom Francis and Leon Brown than he would Simon Gardiner, Javen Sebastian and Werner Kruger. Human nature.

Posted By: aber-fan
Date Posted: 26 November 2019 at 9:56am

Remember the famous international cricketer who was sidelined with a 'lower back injury'?  Turned out he struck down with  the Farmer's......

An intriguing but baffling comment - care to explain?

-------------
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)

Date Posted: 26 November 2019 at 2:01pm
It was a well managed way of explaining that a top player was not fit to play without going into the  (somewhat) embarrassing details.

Date Posted: 26 November 2019 at 2:35pm

It was a well managed way of explaining that a top player was not fit to play without going into the  (somewhat) embarrassing details.

I guessed as much, but am still totally baffled...Confused

-------------
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)

Date Posted: 26 November 2019 at 3:22pm
It was pointed out that Joe Public doesn’t need to know the ‘nuts and bolts’ of every injury.  That was one way it was done in cricketWink  

Date Posted: 26 November 2019 at 3:49pm

It was pointed out that Joe Public doesn’t need to know the ‘nuts and bolts’ of every injury.  That was one way it was done in cricketWink  

Do I take it that 'nuts' is the key word here, then?

-------------

Date Posted: 26 November 2019 at 4:19pm
Farmers was the key word.

Date Posted: 26 November 2019 at 4:39pm

Farmers was the key word.

Well, I'll just have to stay baffled, then!

-------------

Posted By: cymraes
Date Posted: 26 November 2019 at 5:19pm
think rhyming slang

Date Posted: 27 November 2019 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by cymraes cymraes wrote:

think rhyming slang

All very well,but I can't come up with anything other than Farmer's Arms (no obvious follow up there) - and not many Farmers in Cockney-land either, so god knows who invented this...

Farmers' combine harvester? No, I don't get it.

-------------

Posted By: ap sior
Date Posted: 27 November 2019 at 1:48pm
Can someone please put him out of his misery 😁😁😁😁

Date Posted: 27 November 2019 at 1:51pm
Loads of them round London like. In Essex Kent  Surrey etc. Old Mr Giles for instance. Got that farm down Guildford way. Never heard of him? That’s a pain.  

Date Posted: 27 November 2019 at 2:10pm

Loads of them round London like. In Essex Kent  Surrey etc. Old Mr Giles for instance. Got that farm down Guildford way. Never heard of him? That’s a pain.  

Well, thanks for the clue - I eventually checked using Mr Google. Not a pleasant condition (I speak from experience).

Of course, I browsed a bit, as one does, and came across some other intriguing farmer-related sayings. I'm sure you would not fancy a 'farmer's breakfast', or 'farmers' omelette' - still less 'farmer love'!

(You may prefer NOT to check these out.)

-------------

Date Posted: 29 November 2019 at 11:03am
Im almost sorry I started this thread. Incredible over thinking by several writers. All we need to know is - Player X out for 4 weeks - knee injury. I'm quite sure there is nothing in GDPR, contractual obligations or anything else that says that can't be published.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 November 2019 at 1:21pm

Im almost sorry I started this thread. Incredible over thinking by several writers. All we need to know is - Player X out for 4 weeks - knee injury. I'm quite sure there is nothing in GDPR, contractual obligations or anything else that says that can't be published.

I sympathise.

Some of the major French clubs include an 'Infirmary' section on their websites, which includes ridiculously detailed information about the injuries their players have, along with estimates of when they will be fit to return to play, for example Clermont (which seems almost a model of how a professional rugby club should present itself):

http://www.asm-rugby.com/actus?theme=Infirmerie" rel="nofollow - https://www.asm-rugby.com/actus?theme=Infirmerie

I see no reason why such info should not be published 'over here' with the players' consent. It would put a stop to futile and pointless speculation.

-------------

Posted By: Fscarlet
Date Posted: 29 November 2019 at 1:28pm
Was it Connor Murray who stopped details of his injury getting out, for fear that it could stop clubs looking at him in the future?

Posted By: Wasp
Date Posted: 29 November 2019 at 5:54pm

Was it Connor Murray who stopped details of his injury getting out, for fear that it could stop clubs looking at him in the future?
You can't sign for a club without a medical exam!!

-------------
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh

Posted By: Grammar School Boy
Date Posted: 29 November 2019 at 5:57pm
I am surprised Hadleigh is considered fit to play

Posted By: Mugwuffin
Date Posted: 29 November 2019 at 6:40pm

Heaslip too. I can see that becoming more common in future. 

Posted By: Sandman
Date Posted: 29 November 2019 at 6:45pm

Taylor Davies out for 6-8 weeks knee injury. No surgery, just rehab. 

-------------
Only one team plays in red. (Sorry, Scarlet)

Date Posted: 30 November 2019 at 8:54am
Originally posted by Sandman Sandman wrote:

Taylor Davies out for 6-8 weeks knee injury. No surgery, just rehab. 

That's good news if it proves to be the right decision... let's just hope in 8 weeks' time, they don't say that it hasn't settled, and that he needs the knife anyway - as has happened a few times in the past. Best of luck to Taylor.

-------------

Posted By: minded
Date Posted: 25 September 2020 at 10:31am

Johnny McNicholl injured his ankle late on in the game against Toulon last weekend. Johnny has started his rehabilitation and is expected to be unavailable for up to eight weeks.

Leigh Halfpenny was removed for a Head Injury Assessment in the second half against Toulon. Leigh has completed the HIA process and is back in full training.

Tomi Lewis has this week undergone surgery for a significant knee injury sustained in training. Tomi has the support of all at Scarlets as he begins the long road to recovery that lies ahead of him. It is estimated that his rehabilitation will be in the region of 12 months.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPnAh1r0V9YMx4LjUAXI1AUts5jgBck9u" rel="nofollow - Scarlets Tries of the Season 2009 - 2022

Posted By: EJPT
Date Posted: 25 September 2020 at 10:41am
Speedy recovery to Tomi and Johnny, postive news about Halfpenny

Posted By: thommo
Date Posted: 25 September 2020 at 10:51am
Feared far worse for Johnny initially. Up to 8 weeks is a lot less than it looked aat the time. 

Posted By: stradeyscarlet72
Date Posted: 25 September 2020 at 10:55am
[QUOTE=thommo]Feared far worse for Johnny initially. Up to 8 weeks is a lot less than it looked aat the time.  
Agreed. Really thought that Jonny was going to be out for a very long time.  As it works out eight weeks isn’t ideal but not as bad as we feared.  Desperately sorry for Tomi but so relieved for Leigh .

Posted By: Eastern outpost
Date Posted: 25 September 2020 at 11:47am
Originally posted by stradeyscarlet72 stradeyscarlet72 wrote:

[QUOTE=thommo]Feared far worse for Johnny initially. Up to 8 weeks is a lot less than it looked aat the time.  
Agreed. Really thought that Jonny was going to be out for a very long time.  As it works out eight weeks isn’t ideal but not as bad as we feared.  Desperately sorry for Tomi but so relieved for Leigh .
Echoed.

-------------
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.

Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 25 September 2020 at 12:17pm
Great shame for Tomi that. Looking for a breakthrough season. Speedy recovery.

Bette renews than expected on JMac.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net