Forum Description: Team News, Season Tickets, Next Match
URL: https://scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=45710
Printed Date: 28 March 2024 at 6:29pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Nick Tompkins
Posted By: knutsfordlion
Subject: Nick Tompkins
Date Posted: 19 January 2020 at 8:47pm
With the Saracens squad being cut down, let's offer Nick Tompkins a contract.
Hadleigh and Foxy aren't getting any younger, and I suspect he would want to come to Wales now he is involved in the Wales squad?

I have seen a lot of his games, and he is a no nonsense player and would suit us perfectly.

-------------
Page the oracle

Replies:
Posted By: ap sior
Date Posted: 19 January 2020 at 8:50pm
The way our squad is building for next year, I can see Brad wanting to stay !

Posted By: miaow
Date Posted: 19 January 2020 at 9:01pm
Agree that he would be an ideal signing but - potentially - the timing isn't quite right.

I believe he still has a few years on his contract. Let's just say he is leaving anyway, I can see the Blues going after him, just for poos and giggles because that's how their recruitment works, and the Ospreys targeting him as well if they think Scott's never going to be a reliable option.

We definitely need a crashball/physical 12. Definitely. Ideally as a NWQ player because I can't see any Welsh players coming through in that mould. Someone to be what Fonotia was bought to be, unless Fonotia turns it around from now til the end of the season. But we have quite a few decent, tidy footballers who can attack well with ball in hand - Steff, Asquith, Baldwin etc.

I think he's more likely to walk straight in to the starting team at the Ospreys than with us or the Blues. Haloholo and Ray LeLo are a good pairing, and Foxy and Parkes is, at present, the starting pairing for Wales.

He'd be great to sign in 12 months time because we will probably be rotating Parkes out as first choice, Wales as well, and Foxy will be all guns blazing for the Lions as a last shot at the big time.  Within 6 months of joining (i.e. 2022) he could be our first choice centre, but you also have to factor in he's not really Welsh, and Cardiff is a much easier 'step' in to Wales and Welsh culture coming from London than West Wales is.

I think he'll go to the Ospreys and the Blues over us, but on pure rugby decisions, if he wants to come to the best region, he'd join us.

Date Posted: 19 January 2020 at 9:03pm
Also important to add that if he does leave Saracens, whoever he joins will be a pretty big step down from what he's used to, even just in the little things behind the scenes.

I'm not sure there's going to be an exodus just yet. Not for players around his pay grade.

Posted By: Micro Duck
Date Posted: 20 January 2020 at 3:01pm
Pivac said that he'd approached him twice to play for the Scarlets. He was turned down twice.

Posted By: GPR - Rochester
Date Posted: 20 January 2020 at 3:09pm
Way different circumstances now of course with Sarries issues, Foxy/Hadleigh getting older & him about to get capped.

Posted By: 157cb
Date Posted: 20 January 2020 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by Micro Duck Micro Duck wrote:

Pivac said that he'd approached him twice to play for the Scarlets. He was turned down twice.

You know what they say?  Third time lucky! 

Date Posted: 20 January 2020 at 3:20pm
That was for Rowlands, the lock. Not Tompkins.

Posted By: Rich (Bris)
Date Posted: 20 January 2020 at 5:12pm
Sarries have said the won't stop anyone leaving and playing in the Championship would be the end of the start of his international career. So I'm sure he'll leave and then, as things stand and if I remember the details, he'll need to come to Cymru if there is an offer from a Region. Cardiff or us I'd say

Posted By: scarletnut
Date Posted: 20 January 2020 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by miaow miaow wrote:

It was Tompkins as well. 

-------------
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1

Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 21 January 2020 at 4:35am
A real value proposition if we could land him.

I'm a fan of a mature squad profile, but acknowledge that having our 3 first choice centers at 32 or older by this season end isn't ideal.

Having said that, it's also not ideal to have them all way with Team Wales either!

Posted By: aber-fan
Date Posted: 21 January 2020 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

I'm a fan of a mature squad profile, but acknowledge that having our 3 first choice centers at 32 or older by this season end isn't ideal.

Having said that, it's also not ideal to have them all way with Team Wales either!

No, but if I understood right, we won't be paying our Wales players - and they would be available for the 'big' games.

-------------
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)

Posted By: PE SA
Date Posted: 22 January 2020 at 8:56am
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

No, but if I understood right, we won't be paying our Wales players - and they would be available for the 'big' games.

Only AWJ is paid 100% by WRU. But he is on a strict 10 game a season MAX as I understood it to try and guide him through to the next world cup.

Regions will pay 20% of a contract of an elite player - but this is on an annual basis. there will be points when a player wont be in the elite squad so his wages will then be taken fully on by the region.

Date Posted: 22 January 2020 at 8:56am
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

It was Tompkins as well. 
if we can land Tompkins it would be a major coup.

Posted By: matt_george
Date Posted: 22 January 2020 at 9:05am
Tompkins would be a great signing covers 12/13 and potentially available for the best part of a decade. Would be a great signing if we could pull it off.

Date Posted: 22 January 2020 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

Only AWJ is paid 100% by WRU. But he is on a strict 10 game a season MAX as I understood it to try and guide him through to the next world cup.

Regions will pay 20% of a contract of an elite player - but this is on an annual basis. there will be points when a player wont be in the elite squad so his wages will then be taken fully on by the region.

Thanks for the information.

Anyone who is in the squad all year is a snip at 20% of wages, but there are imponderables, apparently...

-------------
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)

Posted By: RR1972
Date Posted: 22 January 2020 at 12:22pm

would the wru want their 3 front line centres at the one region?

pros and cons (all 3 get a rest but then again at least 1 misses out on the big games)

The other issue is all 3 are away with team wales at the same time

Then again will parkes be part of team wales after the next 12 months, top player and top bloke but his body looks to be giving up on him and injuries/  pace could be an issue

Posted By: Sosban89
Date Posted: 22 January 2020 at 12:53pm

That's a bit depressing and naiveif they really think AWJ at 35 will be the best option at 2nd row than any other prospects over the next 4 years for wales.

Date Posted: 22 January 2020 at 1:01pm
Can't see AWJ at the next World Cup - he will have a real go at making captain for the S.Africa Lions and then he'll retire. 

Posted By: turkishrebel
Date Posted: 22 January 2020 at 1:15pm
agree GPR, its lions and I am sure finished then. we have to remember that both foxey and hadleigh are now in their 30's and both have not got long left in their careers.
if Tompkins becomes available we would be stupid not to go for him, guy is quality

-------------
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!

Posted By: Dic Penderyn
Date Posted: 22 January 2020 at 1:33pm
Yes we can go for Tompkins.We can just as easily start picking Baldwin.

Posted By: Ffidel Bennett
Date Posted: 22 January 2020 at 1:57pm
Yes, give Baldin a good run at 13 before splashing out on another 13 who has no connection with the region. Looking a little further into the future I'm more worried about the pack, particularly the tight forwards. We always seem to produce loose forwards and hookers, but recently Scarlets U18 have been hammered by Blues U18 as were Coleg Sir Gar by Coleg y Cymoedd, both apparently due to the backs having very little ball. Now we should still have Wyn and Rob (when not with Wales and injury free) for a few more years, as goes for Tex, Lousi and Ball, but I believe, that our main recruitment drive should be centred on an additional top class tighthead and a ball carrying second row.

Date Posted: 22 January 2020 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Can't see AWJ at the next World Cup - he will have a real go at making captain for the S.Africa Lions and then he'll retire. 
same here

Posted By: 157cb
Date Posted: 22 January 2020 at 2:37pm
 We need to sign Tompkins,use Baldwin at 13 also,with Asquith,Steff Hughes and youngsters in Osian Knott and Joe Roberts, we then have core of far younger options.

With Foxy and Parkes in there 30s now there limited availability is a worry ,with increasing  injuries and International calls .

We need to bring in a quality experienced tight head .With regard our tight five forwards,we have the following all under 21,props Kemsley Mathias ,O, Connor Brothers,hookers Dom Booth,Morgan Macrae and locks Morgan Jones and Jac Price .

Date Posted: 22 January 2020 at 3:20pm
Parkes and Foxy - both don't have much more than 1 more season in them for Wales in my view. Tompkins will probably go to the Ospreys before us, though. We're still well stocked at centre, even if we don't have the right balance. Can see Parkes and Foxy playing for us until 2023 - not much room for Tompkins to fit in during that time given Steff Hughes, Baldwin, and the fact we probably want to keep Asquith around long term.

Date Posted: 22 January 2020 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

would the wru want their 3 front line centres at the one region?
it would be up to the player. we can put in a bid just like the others, but even Blues can have 3 Wales centres with Halaholo, Lane still looked at as a 13 long term...likewise, Ospreys, They have Watkin and Scott and the 2 u20s lads coming through...Scarlets have 2 internationals who are likely not to be around by next world cup. Tompkins could strike up a parternship with Baldwin which would bring Baldwin on as well. so I dont think 3 front line centres is an issue. next season he and Parkes are 32 and will need to be managed a lot more than Tompkins who will be 25.

pros and cons (all 3 get a rest but then again at least 1 misses out on the big games)
Plenty of games through the season. Plenty of big games. who plays in the finals...whoever is in form and available. lets not forget Foxy has had 2 or 3 season ending injuries in as many seasons and a body thats getting older meaning recovery period is getting longer.

The other issue is all 3 are away with team wales at the same time
There is is that, but we have had an entire front row and bench prop away with Wales last few years - all renewed deals. 

Then again will parkes be part of team wales after the next 12 months, top player and top bloke but his body looks to be giving up on him and injuries/  pace could be an issue.
valid point.

Date Posted: 22 January 2020 at 6:47pm
Lane's an out and out winger for me. Not sure we can consider Scott a Welsh international anymore given he's missed out on, what, the last 3 full Wales camps if you exclude the warm up games? Would love for him to come back but in spite of him only just turning 29. looks like he might retire at a similar time to Parkes and Foxy at this stage. He's 'fit', yet he's not been selected over Owen Williams. Ospreys looking most likely I think. Watkin 12/13 Tompkins 12/13, versatile, depends where they go. Or, Haloholo 12, Tompkins 13. Can't see Tompkins moving for next season from the European and English champions - where he isn't starting games when everyones available - to sit outside the matchday 23 at the Scarlets. He'll move where he can start straight away, and that's not the Scarlets this season/next season. Unless we get rid of Parkes.

Date Posted: 22 January 2020 at 7:10pm

Lane's an out and out winger for me. Not sure we can consider Scott a Welsh international anymore given he's missed out on, what, the last 3 full Wales camps if you exclude the warm up games? Would love for him to come back but in spite of him only just turning 29. looks like he might retire at a similar time to Parkes and Foxy at this stage. He's 'fit', yet he's not been selected over Owen Williams. Ospreys looking most likely I think. Watkin 12/13 Tompkins 12/13, versatile, depends where they go. Or, Haloholo 12, Tompkins 13. Can't see Tompkins moving for next season from the European and English champions - where he isn't starting games when everyones available - to sit outside the matchday 23 at the Scarlets. He'll move where he can start straight away, and that's not the Scarlets this season/next season. Unless we get rid of Parkes.

Tompkins would have an excellent chance of being first choice if he joined the Scarlets. I’m baffled by your logic at times 

-------------
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1

Posted By: diego6754
Date Posted: 22 January 2020 at 7:18pm
I would just like to see Cory given a run at 13 with Steff at 12 through the six nations see where we go from there.

Posted By: Sosban bach
Date Posted: 23 January 2020 at 12:59am
I’d take Tompkins over Parkes tbh 2 ageing centres passed their best now I think.

Date Posted: 23 January 2020 at 1:00am
Originally posted by diego6754 diego6754 wrote:

I would just like to see Cory given a run at 13 with Steff at 12 through the six nations see where we go from there.
Yep that’s the pairing I want too

Date Posted: 23 January 2020 at 7:59am
The problem with waiting to see how Asquith, Steff & hopefully Baldwin get on is that now is the time to get your squad together for next season. Guys like Carre & Tompkins are in very unusual circumstances where their current employers may well welcome enquiries for them despite their having a few years left on their contracts. Now is the time to strike particularly if Tompkins gets capped. 

As for his chances of getting gametime for us I would not think that a problem. He and Baldwin would make a very good pairing & Hadleigh/Foxy will be able to get plenty of rest/recuperation. Sadly Scott, whilst fit, is not it seems as fit as he would like. He has problems with recurring back pain which could be linked to his hamstring issues. I hope he can regain that ability to go flat out week after week as he has been one of the best centres I have had the pleasure to watch at PYS.

Date Posted: 23 January 2020 at 3:06pm
Can someone clarify for me which is Tompkins' best/usual position - 12 or 13?

Obviously, he'd be worth signing... we also have options here and now, with Steff Hughes (12/13) Asquith (12/13?) and Baldwin (13). I'd still prefer to spend any money available on beefing up the pack for next season, in the hope that Foxy makes a complete recovery. 

-------------

Date Posted: 23 January 2020 at 5:32pm
He can play both by the looks of things. Very versatile. Could go either way though I'd be tempted to say they'll take a look at him as more of a 13 eventually for Wales.

Also looks like George North is all set to play 13 for Wales. Like chalk and cheese in terms of defensive abilities between Foxy and North in that position. Should get away with it against Italy.

Date Posted: 23 January 2020 at 5:34pm

Obviously, he'd be worth signing... we also have options here and now, with Steff Hughes (12/13) Asquith (12/13?) and Baldwin (13). I'd still prefer to spend any money available on beefing up the pack for next season, in the hope that Foxy makes a complete recovery. 

barritt is the usual 12 for sarries especially in the big games so I'd guess most of Tompkins senior rugby is at 13

wol have the ospreys in for him, if so that gives us a big chance of bringing scott back

Not a bad outcome for both sides tbh

Posted By: Raised By Peregos
Date Posted: 23 January 2020 at 5:34pm
I agree with this!

Feel the good vibes people. 

Posted By: Raised By Peregos
Date Posted: 23 January 2020 at 5:35pm
That was meant to come after Miaow's post! 

Date Posted: 23 January 2020 at 5:58pm

Anywhere particular to beef up the pack? We’ve done great recruitment to get the ones we have but apart from a new th to replace I’d say Kruger and possibly a 6? Blade constantly out and shings one knock away from retiring as he’s 32/33 might need someone there?

Posted By: Prop in the loose
Date Posted: 23 January 2020 at 6:18pm
What is the situation with Fonotia currently? I thought I read that he was training but haven't seen him anywhere near a match day squad in ages

Posted By: Why
Date Posted: 23 January 2020 at 6:59pm
Whilst Scott was a great player for the Scarlets, have never understood why he left, but would be bad move to try and get him back. He has been unlucky with injuries and would be huge risk to take him back surely better to got for Tomkins younger and will play a lot more games. 

-------------
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.

Date Posted: 23 January 2020 at 7:43pm
Make Sale an offer they can't refuse for WillGriff John and look for another ball carrying NWQ lock. At 6 we've got Shingler , Rawlins, Kennedy and Thomson along with a few other non-specialists who could cover.
As is often proven, without the ball even the very best set of backs achieve little against top opposition. The other vital position is of course the head coach.

Date Posted: 23 January 2020 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

Whilst Scott was a great player for the Scarlets, have never understood why he left, but would be bad move to try and get him back. He has been unlucky with injuries and would be huge risk to take him back surely better to got for Tomkins younger and will play a lot more games. 
but tomkins will miss more games with team wales

Date Posted: 23 January 2020 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by Sosban bach Sosban bach wrote:

Anywhere particular to beef up the pack? We’ve done great recruitment to get the ones we have but apart from a new th to replace I’d say Kruger and possibly a 6? Blade constantly out and shings one knock away from retiring as he’s 32/33 might need someone there?

I think you've got it spot on. We've bought our pack this season but if a good tighthead becomes available, we shouldn't turn one down. Cannot see any back row recruitment. It's the backs we'll be signing this season for next. The money's gone on the pack this year, and it's mostly been great. Shingler and Blade, and then possibly Jac and Dan Davies being shifted to 6. Anyone I'm missing? Lewis Rawlins in a pinch? Think we're ok for 6

Date Posted: 23 January 2020 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

Very bad move in hindsight. Almost everything that could have gone wrong has gone wrong. He jumped the gun when he got left out of the Wales squad when Parkes got picked. Pivac was rotating them and sharing the role, but Scott wasn't happy and (probably fairly) thought he wouldn't be given a fair shot for Wales, and even the Scarlets, at the 12 shirt. Right when Jamie Roberts was finally being phased out as well...that's got to be emotionally taxing.

He had a child, didn't he, and his performances seemed to be a bit off in the wake of that. He then signs for the Ospreys thinking as long as he's starting games at 12, not on the bench, week in, week out, for a region that's not far behind the Scarlets will force Gatland in to a decision and not allow the fact Pivac's selections decided it for him. He backed his ability, really, and you have to admire that - but then injury arrived, Webb and Biggar abandoned ship, the Ospreys fell of a cliff as a team/region, and not only did he not nail the Welsh 12 shirt, he was now out of the picture for the whole squad, as Gatland went for Watkin based on injury and a pretty ropey warm up game against Ireland from Scott.

I can't see a return to the Scarlets. It wouldn't really make sense, unfortunately. And I wonder if his body is basically telling him he doen't have long left playing pro rugby.

If he is available for whatever reason I would gladly have him back though. World class talent in my opinion. Would have stood a good chance of getting capped by NZ in my opinion, which isn't the case for too many Welsh players. He reminded me of Richard Kahui and that new style of centre coming through at that time - just really solid all-rounders who looked a bit like rugby league players. Scott is/was that and I think under different coaches, particularly for Wales, he would have many more starting caps. Shame.

Posted By: crj89
Date Posted: 24 January 2020 at 11:11am
I would love to see Scott back at the Scarlets, I think he still has hell of a lot to give, especially his home region, if the opportunity arose I think we should pounce at the chance of re-signing him.

Posted By: Sosban89
Date Posted: 24 January 2020 at 11:14am
If Scott can get back to his best then there is no doubt he would be an asset to any team. There are however the concerns surrounding injuries and if they have any long term affect. He is only 29, so plenty of time for him to prove his worth. For me it'd depend on what sort of salary he'd command would determine whether to take him back.

Date Posted: 24 January 2020 at 11:16am
thing is with scott , you get a good character and leader as well as the player . He will be a top role model for our youngsters You can never have too many leaders in a squad

Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 24 January 2020 at 11:33am

thing is with scott , you get a good character and leader as well as the player . He will be a top role model for our youngsters You can never have too many leaders in a squad
Would be good to have him back . I’m still not certain why he left other than the competition for first choice centre which as he knows is only an injury away from change. He does not belong at the Ospreys. 

Posted By: Dai38
Date Posted: 24 January 2020 at 12:07pm
It is going to be difficult recruiting new centres at the moment, we have 2 current internationals (when fit) a South Sea international, and a few good regional players with aspirations of further honours. Its a big pool.

-------------
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!

Posted By: Scarlet Emperor
Date Posted: 24 January 2020 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Would be good to have him back . I’m still not certain why he left other than the competition for first choice centre which as he knows is only an injury away from change. He does not belong at the Ospreys. 
 Scott has been a big fan favourite with the scarlets but I think that time has passed as a player , he’s had a lot of injuries And a nod to the future with younger player is needed. At the level we’re playing at we need someone younger with some  experience and Tomkins fits that bill well. To many young inexperienced players isn’t great and we don’t want to become a retirement club for Southern Hemisphere players topping up pensions. There will be be massive competition for Tompkins and I think we should be part of it. He’s had to fight for his place at Saracens and I don’t  think that would bother him at the Scarlets

Date Posted: 24 January 2020 at 12:45pm

You've hit the nail on the head RR. Never replaced his defensive solidity in midfield - Blues centres wouldn't have run amock if he had been at 12 - & his on field leadership. If his International days are gone & he is happy with his own fitness I would have him back in a heartbeat - then watch Baldwin develop into a full International. 

Date Posted: 24 January 2020 at 6:05pm
He's barely playing for the Ospreys, boys. I'd like him back but we need to be realistic. Think his body has broken down.

Date Posted: 24 January 2020 at 6:29pm
He’s played every game bar 3 for the Ospreys this season. One of those was out in Metro where they wouldn't pick him ( much to his annoyance) as they only had one fit centre to go in to the Xmas fixtures.
( That’s more than Parkes, Watkin and Owen Williams combined by the way)
All this whilst also being a dad. Pretty amazing.

Posted By: ladram
Date Posted: 24 January 2020 at 6:51pm

He’s played every game bar 3 for the Ospreys this season. One of those was out in Metro where they wouldn't pick him ( much to his annoyance) as they only had one fit centre to go in to the Xmas fixtures.

don't rise wil,334 posts in 35 days most  are looking for reactions from fellow posters the rest are just s*it.

Posted By: mr geraint
Date Posted: 24 January 2020 at 7:25pm
I always preferred Scott to Parkes for us.

Not a slight on Parkes, just thought Scott had a better passing game and was a little bit ahead in a few other areas as well.

Date Posted: 24 January 2020 at 8:47pm

And last season?

Date Posted: 24 January 2020 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

don't rise wil,334 posts in 35 days most  are looking for reactions from fellow posters the rest are just s*it.

If that's the level you're stooping to, go f yourself Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 24 January 2020 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by mr geraint mr geraint wrote:

I always preferred Scott to Parkes for us.

Not a slight on Parkes, just thought Scott had a better passing game and was a little bit ahead in a few other areas as well.

Agreed. Wish he'd never left in the first place. But we are where we are.

Date Posted: 25 January 2020 at 8:44am

LOLLOLClap

Posted By: Calon_Coch2
Date Posted: 25 January 2020 at 8:56am
I agree, it would be great to have Scott back where he belongs. A great role model for the boys coming through the system. 

-------------
Calon_Coch2

Date Posted: 25 January 2020 at 5:09pm
Cracking natural rugby player who also had the respect of the team. No knock on ken but Scott and Barclay were my captains for us. 

Date Posted: 25 January 2020 at 5:15pm

And last season?

You comment was in the preset tense... ‘ he’s hardly playing...

You are just wrong.

Date Posted: 25 January 2020 at 6:14pm

And last season?

You are just wrong.

Why do you keep insisting on trying to tell me what I believe?

He hardly played rugby since he left the Scarlets. That's not up for debate. For Wales or his club team.

The point isn't about whether or not he's playing, whether or not he's fit right now, in this moment etc. It's whether his body can hold up to the stresses and strains of pro rugby on a consistent enough basis to make him a worthwhile signing. Given it looks more than just a major injury, or a persistent niggle/area (like Jake Ball's shoulder) that just needs managing, I'm asking that question in good faith and with sympathy for him. But if you want to miss the point to """win""" internet points just to tell me I'm """wrong""", go for it.

Come on...

Date Posted: 25 January 2020 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by Sosban bach Sosban bach wrote:

Cracking natural rugby player who also had the respect of the team. No knock on ken but Scott and Barclay were my captains for us. 

Agree with that. Bit loss last season was the sense of leadership in the team. Can't overlook how Beirne led with his actions on the field, same as Sanjay. Huge loss of physical and mental leadership in the team since the title win.

Date Posted: 25 January 2020 at 6:46pm

And last season?

You are just wrong.

He hardly played rugby since he left the Scarlets. That's not up for debate. For Wales or his club team.

The point isn't about whether or not he's playing, whether or not he's fit right now, in this moment etc. It's whether his body can hold up to the stresses and strains of pro rugby on a consistent enough basis to make him a worthwhile signing. Given it looks more than just a major injury, or a persistent niggle/area (like Jake Ball's shoulder) that just needs managing, I'm asking that question in good faith and with sympathy for him. But if you want to miss the point to """win""" internet points just to tell me I'm """wrong""", go for it.

Come on...

It’s quite fun watching you twist tense, flip nouns and adjectives, ignore facts that don’t go you’re way or resort to petty and churlish playground antics, as an alternate to being proven inaccurate.
Fun, but a little concerning too, if I’m honest.

Your stinking up pretty much every thread.

Are you a ST holder at Scarlets?

Posted By: Dai38
Date Posted: 25 January 2020 at 6:54pm
I'm with you there 100% Will.

-------------
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!

Date Posted: 25 January 2020 at 7:03pm

And last season?

You are just wrong.

Come on...

It’s quite fun watching you twist tense, flip nouns and adjectives, ignore facts that don’t go you’re way or resort to petty and churlish playground antics, as an alternate to being proven inaccurate.

I'm not surprised you see this as "fun". Pathetic tbh.

Date Posted: 25 January 2020 at 7:05pm
Ignore him guys - he's a nuisance here, but at least it keeps him off the streets, where his arrogance would mean that he wouldn't last very long and would be an additional burden to our overworked emergency services.

Date Posted: 25 January 2020 at 7:13pm

And last season?

You are just wrong.

Come on...

I didn’t see answer to my question there?

Do you need some more time?

Date Posted: 25 January 2020 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

Ignore him guys - he's a nuisance here, but at least it keeps him off the streets, where his arrogance would mean that he wouldn't last very long and would be an additional burden to our overworked emergency services.

Clap

Date Posted: 25 January 2020 at 7:16pm

And last season?

You are just wrong.

Come on...

I'm definitely not answering this as it seems threatening. I don't know who has access to the season ticket list and definitely don't want my personal details leaked by some scumbag online because they don't like someone's opinions on rugby.

So keep waiting.

Posted By: henry_winkler
Date Posted: 25 January 2020 at 7:22pm

And last season?

You are just wrong.

Come on...

I'm definitely not answering this as it seems threatening. I don't know who has access to the season ticket list and definitely don't want my personal details leaked by some scumbag online because they don't like someone's opinions on rugby.

So keep waiting.

You, sir, are no Henry_Winkler. 

Posted By: SAV
Date Posted: 25 January 2020 at 7:26pm
Don't give this poster air time , he is a waste of space . 

-------------
as all the coaches left stradey , bound for nottingham , a sign on the m4 at hendy said , please can the last person close the door behind them , memories

Date Posted: 25 January 2020 at 7:28pm

And last season?

You are just wrong.

Come on...

So keep waiting.

Right, because by answering yes it sends an automatic email link with all you personal details to a selection of hitmen.

Posted By: jimmywilde
Date Posted: 25 January 2020 at 8:30pm
I think he set out to wind you up.
He must be bored.
Easy for me to say...but probably best to ignore him.

Date Posted: 25 January 2020 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by SAV SAV wrote:

Very toxic of you. Maybe you all need to chill the f out about opinions on rugby. Not all Scarlets players are the best in the world...

Date Posted: 25 January 2020 at 9:00pm

Right, because by answering yes it sends an automatic email link with all you personal details to a selection of hitmen.

Ultimately don't want to take the risk. The hostility on here for suggesting very reasonable things - opinions clearly supported by the actual rugby men whose jobs are on the line - is insane. Who knows what depths someone might stoop to if I confirmed or denied or gave any personal info out. There was someone suggesting I was a troll just because I didn't have my name on my profile. Crazy.

Date Posted: 26 January 2020 at 8:27am

Ultimately don't want to take the risk. The hostility on here for suggesting very reasonable things - opinions clearly supported by the actual rugby men whose jobs are on the line - is insane. Who knows what depths someone might stoop to if I confirmed or denied or gave any personal info out. There was someone suggesting I was a troll just because I didn't have my name on my profile. Crazy.

Miaow you really need to take a deep breath. Wil's question was pretty simple - are you a season ticket holder? What could possibly be devious about that. I am a ST holder North N9 there its not difficult. Again how can you argue with the fact that Scott has played most of the games this season - they are facts. Of course you are perfectly entitled to voice your opinion on whether he is a good acquisition or not but citing fitness doesn't seem to be accurate. 

Sometimes you really must learn to agree to differ with people who do not share your views instead of pursuing the verbal spiral downwards to *** for tat insults. 

Posted By: Cofi
Date Posted: 26 January 2020 at 10:06am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Miaow you really need to take a deep breath. Wil's question was pretty simple - are you a season ticket holder? What could possibly be devious about that. I am a ST holder North N9 there its not difficult. Again how can you argue with the fact that Scott has played most of the games this season - they are facts. Of course you are perfectly entitled to voice your opinion on whether he is a good acquisition or not but citing fitness doesn't seem to be accurate. 

Sometimes you really must learn to agree to differ with people who do not share your views instead of pursuing the verbal spiral downwards to *** for tat insults. 

Is there a mute button on here that I can avoid getting bombarded by Miaow and his caterwauling? I'm not saying I want him neutered, but  diawch can he be limited perhaps to one post a day rather than 10!!

Posted By: Why
Date Posted: 26 January 2020 at 10:17am
Whilst I agree that Miaow is being a bit over the top to say the least and tiresome but whether he is a season ticket holder or not is irrelevant really. Some people would love to be season ticket holders and go to every match but just not possible it doesn’t make you less of a fan. Everyone is entitled to opinion whether you have to agree with it is another matter. 

-------------
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.

Posted By: ladram
Date Posted: 26 January 2020 at 11:23am
Oh!for those halcyon days of intelligent trolls like smellymike and the oracle,the pink geraniums gain is the forums loss.Big smile

Date Posted: 26 January 2020 at 12:04pm
It’s being reported in the Rugby Paper that Scarlets want to take Nick Tompkins on loan next season

-------------

Date Posted: 26 January 2020 at 1:26pm

It’s being reported in the Rugby Paper that Scarlets want to take Nick Tompkins on loan next season

Excellent idea. His contract with Sarries runs to 2022 I believe; would reduce Sarries wage bill and give us an opportunity to have a look at him & vice versa. 

Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 26 January 2020 at 1:42pm

Oh!for those halcyon days of intelligent trolls like smellymike and the oracle,the pink geraniums gain is the forums loss.Big smile
Hear hear Ladram 😍

Date Posted: 26 January 2020 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by SAV SAV wrote:

I can save a lot of time by ignoring any of his comments! It's freed up a lot of time to do more productive things, TBH.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 January 2020 at 1:55pm

Same guy, I always thought? I met him, too, in his smellymike days... nice fella.

-------------

Posted By: NeylandAllBlack
Date Posted: 26 January 2020 at 2:15pm

Same guy, I always thought? I met him, too, in his smellymike days... nice fella.

Top bloke. His musings on here on a Saturday night with a belly full of beer was a thing of beauty.

Date Posted: 26 January 2020 at 2:32pm
The oracle batman thread is my all time faveSmileWinkLOLLOL

Date Posted: 26 January 2020 at 4:30pm

You call me a troll yet the standard of your interactions are far more troll like than mine are. Projection?

Date Posted: 26 January 2020 at 4:35pm

Good move if so. I doubt Saracens will let him go but it allows him to see where he is and if it goes well sign for us when we phase Hadleigh and Foxy out.

Date Posted: 26 January 2020 at 6:09pm
So it looks as if we've already signed Sanjay, Costelow and are trying to sign Tompkins.
Let's not forget that it's forwards that usually win matches and that the most scintillating backs in the world will find it hard going against a team that dominates possession. Let the next signing be a tighthead.

Posted By: Wasp
Date Posted: 26 January 2020 at 7:23pm

So it looks as if we've already signed Sanjay, Costelow and are trying to sign Tompkins.
Let's not forget that it's forwards that usually win matches and that the most scintillating backs in the world will find it hard going against a team that dominates possession. Let the next signing be a tighthead.
Next season we’ll have Samson, Kruger, Javan so I’m not sure we’ll get another. I believe Cassiem and Blade are both out of contract, so 8 is a slight worry. 
To be quite honest, I’d be quite pleased if we can retain everyone up front for next season 

-------------
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh

Date Posted: 26 January 2020 at 7:37pm
Same wasp, I think. Upfront would like to keep the squad, only spot is tight head and if werner wants to carry on or not. 

-------------

Posted By: Wasp
Date Posted: 26 January 2020 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by turkishrebel turkishrebel wrote:

Same wasp, I think. Upfront would like to keep the squad, only spot is tight head and if werner wants to carry on or not. 
He must be in year 1 of a new contract this year, as he signed a 3 year deal starting in 16/17.
Having said that he is 35 now.

Which seems really young when you get to my age 

-------------
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh

Posted By: Legendinmybathroom
Date Posted: 26 January 2020 at 7:54pm
Cassiem I believe will sign a new deal, he seems to have settled well, has embraced the culture and has built up a cult following amongst the fans, as well as being arguably our best and most consistent player this season.  
Thompson may well move onto one of the Scottish sides as he is now a Scottish international player and will spend increasingly more time North of the border.  
So we may well need to sign another number 8 as Jac is too small at present and Carwyn is still developing physically and is still only 16 or 17 years old.

Date Posted: 26 January 2020 at 8:09pm
Feel the same wasp! Kruger has been superb for us and if his performance stay the same I think he may stay with us longer. Tight head is my main concern and maybe no. 8 if one of blade or cassiem leaves (doubt cassiem will as he is loving being with us at the moment).
Quite concerned though about blade, and with him being out with another concussion the region may have to think of other options

-------------

Date Posted: 26 January 2020 at 8:23pm
The forwards look good. We've spent big this season. Can't imagine we'll be signing a tighthead. Francis, Dee, Brown, and now John are ahead of Samson. He'll be with us most of the season, and Kruger looks like he can play until he's 40, really solid player. Youngsters can do the rest.

The big change I think we need is in the midfield. Would rather replace Fonotia with a big, powerful, younger South Sea Islander to compete with what the Blues have, but if it's Tompkins, that would be a great signing in all honesty.

Posted By: Havard Fan
Date Posted: 26 January 2020 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by turkishrebel turkishrebel wrote:

Feel the same wasp! Kruger has been superb for us and if his performance stay the same I think he may stay with us longer. Tight head is my main concern and maybe no. 8 if one of blade or cassiem leaves (doubt cassiem will as he is loving being with us at the moment).
Quite concerned though about blade, and with him being out with another concussion the region may have to think of other options

Agreed with regards the concerns about Blade. It must be a real worry for him and his family. When he plays, he is an excellent rugby player, however you want your non-Welsh players to be consistent and have a decent fitness record (Kruger / Parkes). If both Blade and Cassiem are out of contract, I would retain Cassiem and go flat out to sign Sam Moore. He looks like a huge prospect and would be a welcome addition for a position Wales are struggling to fill.
We are good at lock if we retain all. Not sure if Cummins is out of contract, but he may move on. If he does, we will probably need another.
We would definitely benefit from another tight head. Gardiner going to the O's on loan, may mean he's off. 
Tompkins on loan to us would be a good deal for both parties.

We are crying out for another type of winger though. What wouldn't we give for a 17 stone lump of a South sea islander winger? However we are pretty stacked in the back 3. 

Date Posted: 26 January 2020 at 8:25pm
What worries me a little is that Samson isn't the player he was 2 years ago and now, even when he starts, he isn't always on at the beginning of the second half. Kruger has been a great signing, who doesn't seem to mind playing second fiddle but, at 35 he's bound to lose some dynamism. I wish we'd give some more game time to Javan so that we can better assess his scrummaging potential against the best -his work around the field isn't in question. Being such an important position for winning penalties and for preventing penalties against, I believe that we'd be a more or less complete side after signing a top tighthead.

Posted By: Dic Penderyn
Date Posted: 26 January 2020 at 8:38pm

What worries me a little is that Samson isn't the player he was 2 years ago and now, even when he starts, he isn't always on at the beginning of the second half. Kruger has been a great signing, who doesn't seem to mind playing second fiddle but, at 35 he's bound to lose some dynamism. I wish we'd give some more game time to Javan so that we can better assess his scrummaging potential against the best -his work around the field isn't in question. Being such an important position for winning penalties and for preventing penalties against, I believe that we'd be a more or less complete side after signing a top tighthead.
Why should we need to assess Javan's scrummaging ability?Wasn't Gardner farmed out ahead of him?Therefore shouldn't we assume that he is a better scrummager than Gardiner?Gardiner,I thnk,was an excellent scrummager.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net