Forum Description: Other rugby chat
URL: https://scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=45725
Printed Date: 19 March 2024 at 11:06am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Wales v Italy thread
Posted By: Fscarlet
Subject: Wales v Italy thread
Date Posted: 30 January 2020 at 12:01pm

Wales: 15. Leigh Halfpenny (85 Caps), 14. Johnny McNicholl (*Uncapped), 13. George North (91 Caps), 12. Hadleigh Parkes (25 Caps), 11. Josh Adams (21 Caps), 10. Dan Biggar (79 Caps), 9. Tomos Williams (16 Caps), 1. Wyn Jones (22 Caps), 2. Ken Owens (73 Caps), 3. Dillon Lewis (22 Caps), 4. Jake Ball (42 Caps), 5. Alun Wyn Jones (C) (134 Caps), 6. Aaron Wainwright (18 Caps), 7. Justin Tipuric (72 Caps), 8. Taulupe Faletau (72 Caps)

Replacements: 16. Ryan Elias (9 Caps), 17. Rob Evans (36 Caps) 18. Leon Brown (6 Caps), 19. Cory Hill (24 Caps), 20. Ross Moriarty (41 Caps), 21. Rhys Webb (31 Caps), 22. Jarrod Evans (3 Caps), 23. Nick Tompkins (*Uncapped)​.

Replies:
Posted By: GPR - Rochester
Date Posted: 30 January 2020 at 12:06pm
Well I have to say that is about as underwhelming a selection as I could have possibly imagined. Shades of Pivac's selections in his final months with the Scarlets. Of course it won't make a huge difference this Saturday but that team will struggle in Dublin. Jonny, George, Hadleigh, Dillon & Webb have no right to be in the team in my humble opinion. Oh well so much for a new beginning. Cry

Date Posted: 30 January 2020 at 12:11pm
Have to agree there GPR, I feel a bit flat now.

I kind of get Webb being on the bench as I don't think he will feature in any other games so it's a chance for Wayne to see Tomos.

Should have gone Williams & Tompkins in the centre.

Posted By: EJPT
Date Posted: 30 January 2020 at 12:11pm
Looks as close to full strength as it can be 

Date Posted: 30 January 2020 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

Based on past performances?? The 2 centres are horrifically out of form.

Posted By: RR1972
Date Posted: 30 January 2020 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

and no LRZ :(Angry How is webb in that 23?

Posted By: minded
Date Posted: 30 January 2020 at 12:17pm
Gareth Davies is injured apparently  https://twitter.com/WelshRugbyUnion/status/1222855639929622528" rel="nofollow - https://twitter.com/WelshRugbyUnion/status/1222855639929622528

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPnAh1r0V9YMx4LjUAXI1AUts5jgBck9u" rel="nofollow - Scarlets Tries of the Season 2009 - 2022

Date Posted: 30 January 2020 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

and no LRZ :(Angry How is webb in that 23?
On paper I meant, On form i’m inclined to agree. Rhys Webb hardly played. I honestly would have put Rhodri Williams ahead of him atm, him and Sam Davies are a decent half back pairing.

Posted By: aber-fan
Date Posted: 30 January 2020 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by minded minded wrote:

Gareth Davies is injured apparently  https://twitter.com/WelshRugbyUnion/status/1222855639929622528" rel="nofollow - https://twitter.com/WelshRugbyUnion/status/1222855639929622528

Thanks for that - I was mystified by Cawdor's omission. Given that he's had a knock, it makes sense to start Tomos W and ease Webb back into things if/when he comes off the bench.

As for the other selections - I'd have liked to see Rees-Z have a game, and Tompkins as a starter - for many years, I thought North could potentially move to 13, but in fact have now more doubts about it than when he was younger. He has the size and pace, but not so sure about his distribution or his defence. I'd also have liked to see something of WillGriff John, but maybe the others trained better, or are simply more up to speed with the calls and patterns..

The line-out seems a bit short of options - I'd have liked to see Shingler in the mix. As it is, looks like AWJ or Tips will be jumping for the most part.

Anyway - congratulations to all Scarlets selected, especially Johnny Mc. who wins his first (official) cap.

-------------
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)

Posted By: NobbySosban
Date Posted: 30 January 2020 at 1:35pm
Feels like a 'safe' selection to me, injuries have contributed to narrowing the options - new cap in McNicholl & experimenting with North at 13 with Tompkins ready to get some time at centre are the biggest risks, everything else looks pretty safe, and an awesome looking back row, accepting that Faletau may need to get back up to speed.

Can't blame Pivac really, he wants to make sure he wins his first competitive match & create momentum for the tougher 6Ns games - LR-Z will get his chance, and I'm sure the coaches will shuffle the pack once they're in a comfortable position in the game. Bonus point win has to be the goal, mind.

Posted By: Ffidel Bennett
Date Posted: 30 January 2020 at 2:01pm
The players selected look familiar and safe but picking North in an unfamiliar position when he's hardly winning many accolades in his regular position, looks a big gamble to me. Some, expect Pivac to play "in the Scarlet way" ie spreading the ball quickly to the wing through slick passing, offloading and players coming into the line creating overlaps. I doubt even an on-form North has the hands, sharpness and subtlety to do this. Perhaps he's there to create crash ball space and off-load to McNicholl. There's a possibility that will work against Italy, but I doubt it will work against stronger sides in which case it will be counterproductive for our long term success.

Posted By: Sosban89
Date Posted: 30 January 2020 at 2:03pm
It is comical that you have a centre that English fans are gutted has opted to play for Wales in Tompkins, being left out of the starting line up in favour of an out of form wing who has next to no experience at centre. Pathetic.

This team really is as someone else said, as uninspiring as it gets.

Posted By: Mr Ian
Date Posted: 30 January 2020 at 2:46pm
Honestly I dont like this selection, specially in the backs but Franco Smith does better with Canna at 12...

Posted By: Dai38
Date Posted: 30 January 2020 at 2:55pm
The team is near the one I would have selected, with only Tompkins in for North & Shingler in for Wainwright. Cawdor would also have been in but injured. 

I listen to a WOL on line this lunchtime on Facebook, and it was suggested that the new English players have had little time with the squad as they had to go back to their clubs, in reality on Wednesday night, and not back until the following Monday. they have never trained with the squad, and probably not knowing many of them I do think that it is a valued reason, especially when learning new systems, calls. WOL suggested that they only had around 5 sessions. 

I think there are very few alternatives at centre, Williams has had around 60 mins rugby in 12/15 months, Watkin is injured, so it is difficult.

When more players get fit, it will be interesting to see how the team pans out at the end of the campaign.

-------------
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!

Date Posted: 30 January 2020 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

The players selected look familiar and safe but picking North in an unfamiliar position when he's hardly winning many accolades in his regular position, looks a big gamble to me. Some, expect Pivac to play "in the Scarlet way" ie spreading the ball quickly to the wing through slick passing, offloading and players coming into the line creating overlaps. I doubt even an on-form North has the hands, sharpness and subtlety to do this. Perhaps he's there to create crash ball space and off-load to McNicholl. There's a possibility that will work against Italy, but I doubt it will work against stronger sides in which case it will be counterproductive for our long term success.

It's a boring selection, based on past not current form

Parkes and North as a 12 and 13 is limited, neither offer a kicking game and neither are great handlers of the ball

if we don't give LRZ a run in this game he probably won't figure until the ai games and I don't see why we didn't cap wgj even if from the bench

Also in the long run how many of this team will be here come next world cup?

Odds are hpenny jonny mac  north parkes biggar webb ken awj tips and toby f won't be. I don't say ditch em all but we should have experimented more. I'd have had LRZ and Tompkins in team and given WGJ  a start

If Gatland picked this team we'd be slating him on here.  I don't think Pivac has what it takes to be wales coach tbh

Posted By: Nikostratos
Date Posted: 30 January 2020 at 2:57pm

And one of them's out of form as a winger.  North doesn't have any form as a 13.  Looks to me as though Pivac's playing safe because a defeat at home to Italy would kill him as Wales coach before he gets started.  Hope I'm wrong about that, because it's a terrible attitude. 

Date Posted: 30 January 2020 at 3:06pm
Where is this new attacking verve going to come from? I am already looking forward to seeing the Ireland selection when Liam, Watkin & Cawdor should be fit. If Dillon Lewis is a better scrummager than WGJ I am a dutchman. 

Posted By: solva
Date Posted: 30 January 2020 at 3:34pm
Ironic that on the day Pivac picks North in the centre, Ioan Cunningham is quoted in 'The Times' that 'At the Scarlets he had a great eye for players in their best positions....' 

Date Posted: 30 January 2020 at 3:36pm
People are shooting Pivac down before he has even had a chance. Yet there is more debutants involved in the squad than under Gatland, by necessity rather than preference but still.

It’s 4 years to the world cup there is plenty of time to experiment, this is however a competitive fixture and i’m going to save my judgement until after the game. I do think that this side will comfortably defeat Italy and I hope i‘m right. 

Posted By: ladram
Date Posted: 30 January 2020 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by solva solva wrote:

Ironic that on the day Pivac picks North in the centre, Ioan Cunningham is quoted in 'The Times' that 'At the Scarlets he had a great eye for players in their best positions....' 
Confused parkes at 10 springs to mind.

Date Posted: 30 January 2020 at 3:49pm

People are shooting Pivac down before he has even had a chance. Yet there is more debutants involved in the squad than under Gatland, by necessity rather than preference but still.

It’s 4 years to the world cup there is plenty of time to experiment, this is however a competitive fixture and i’m going to save my judgement until after the game. I do think that this side will comfortably defeat Italy and I hope i‘m right. 

tbh his selections have bordered on the bizarre for the last 12 months

we will win Saturday but this is not a team that instils me with confidence going forward

Date Posted: 30 January 2020 at 3:52pm

we will win Saturday but this is not a team that instils me with confidence going forward

Last year he seemed to get into the Gatland mindset of just always picking the team that in his mind was his best players, no matter what form. I'm hoping that isn't the case with him at Wales.

Date Posted: 30 January 2020 at 4:06pm

it's not a team that makes you want to watch the game,someone like zammitt would have added some excitement and have fans wanting to see what all the fuss is about,i really don't know how bad north has to play to be dropped.

Date Posted: 30 January 2020 at 4:19pm

It’s 4 years to the world cup there is plenty of time to experiment .... 

sure....but see earlier thread - the pool draw for 2023 is this November so seedings depend on this year's form.

Date Posted: 30 January 2020 at 4:21pm
Agreed, North was poor at the world cup but on his day he is unstoppable and a competent defender. The Ospreys are so bad atm it does not bode well with him in the centre. 

Date Posted: 30 January 2020 at 4:43pm

It’s 4 years to the world cup there is plenty of time to experiment .... 

sure....but see earlier thread - the pool draw for 2023 is this November so seedings depend on this year's form.
I don’t see that as relevant, you have to beat who is in front of you, thats the only thing you can control. Trying to anticipate who will be good in four years time is difficult. Trying to land in a ‘safer’ qualification isn’t that easy to plan out. South Africa got new zealand in the world cup they won it, England had Argentina and France (the billed that the group of death) they came second, they were the two hardest groups. No one thought Japan would top the group. 

Posted By: roy munster
Date Posted: 30 January 2020 at 5:01pm

Wales: 15. Leigh Halfpenny (85 Caps), 14. Johnny McNicholl (*Uncapped), 13. George North (91 Caps), 12. Hadleigh Parkes (25 Caps), 11. Josh Adams (21 Caps), 10. Dan Biggar (79 Caps), 9. Tomos Williams (16 Caps), 1. Wyn Jones (22 Caps), 2. Ken Owens (73 Caps), 3. Dillon Lewis (22 Caps), 4. Jake Ball (42 Caps), 5. Alun Wyn Jones (C) (134 Caps), 6. Aaron Wainwright (18 Caps), 7. Justin Tipuric (72 Caps), 8. Taulupe Faletau (72 Caps)

Replacements: 16. Ryan Elias (9 Caps), 17. Rob Evans (36 Caps) 18. Leon Brown (6 Caps), 19. Cory Hill (24 Caps), 20. Ross Moriarty (41 Caps), 21. Rhys Webb (31 Caps), 22. Jarrod Evans (3 Caps), 23. Nick Tompkins (*Uncapped)​.

Id like to see a distributor like henson at 12 but no such player seems to be available atm
I find it hard to argue with nearly all of this selection
hapenny nailed on , liam out
Johnny mac class player, experienced big strong hard working etc gets the nod over the gloucester wonder kid for now
North 13 , he has the size and pace etc Maybe this is finally a chance to get him on the ball more, he went well at 13 one summer I think it was down under...hes had 5 caps there and several run outs for ospreys there too...well watkin out, it was north or tompkin, tompin has never played test rugby and will get a cap off the bench so ok.
12 parkes. out of form but there is no real alternative atm ...owen williams? parkes has proved himself a big match player, who can forget him chasing back stockdale in the grand slam game and scoring the winning try
11 adams on fire
10 biggar nailed on
9 cawdor out so tom followed by webb seems fine
8 taulpue world class
7 tips world class
6 wainwright superb
5 awj no comment needed
4 ball a cert
3 the most worrying position with no francis no carre and samson in the abyss...lewis and brown will be targeted
2 ken
1 wyn

reps
elias nailed on
brown I like his workrate
rob evs top prop
cory hill big fan mobile hard working versatile
moriarty good impact sub
webb better than aled
jarod offers some variety pace skills
tompkins will get a go

injured liam watkin cawdor carre will come back into the mix for ireland
foxy patchell francis all long termers sadly

-------------
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)

Date Posted: 30 January 2020 at 6:08pm
Roy, I think Carre's a loosehead but I would also have liked to see Willgriff John at least on the bench.

Date Posted: 30 January 2020 at 7:34pm

Roy, I think Carre's a loosehead but I would also have liked to see Willgriff John at least on the bench.
Good point...Hes a big lad for a loosey , can he switch sides

-------------

Posted By: henry_winkler
Date Posted: 30 January 2020 at 8:19pm
North at 13 may give him a new lease of life and will probably see him having more ball and possibly running through some gaps 

Posted By: Jones2004
Date Posted: 30 January 2020 at 8:50pm
The main thing I saw in that team announcement is how much of a disadvantage it is for a player to be based in England. The lack of training and preparation time does seem to have killed off a few players since Pivac as a new coach is going to go more on what he sees in training rather than any previous history / form. There being only four England based players in the match day 23 speaks volume (one truly world class player, our first choice fly half, and a scrum half and a centre being our only remaining options) on how much Pivac has taken that into account.

Date Posted: 31 January 2020 at 7:26am
If availability is such a problem then why pick them in the squad? I, of course, look forward to seeing the game but this really was his chance to get to look at a few players like LRZ, WGJ & Rowlands at International level. Will he really have the bottle to throw them in against France or England if things go horribly wrong in Dublin?

I share other forum contributors thoughts about Pivac & selection - it has gone all to hell over the past 12 months. A 4 try bonus point win is an absolute must for Saturday anything else will be failure & no end of plenty of things to work on, glad to get a win under our belts nonsense will hide that fact. 

I fully expect this team to do just that but regret the lack of boldness in selection. Trying to justify not selecting LRZ on lack of training time is a cop out. Yes he reported to camp with a knock but played 80 minutes on the weekend. 

Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 31 January 2020 at 9:17am

Pivac :“But unfortunately he came into camp with an injury and couldn’t train much last week, I think he had the one run. Then, of course, being an exile, he had to go home.

“He hasn’t had the opportunities that Johnny McNicholl and Josh Adams have. It’s counted against him, the injury and the unavailability.

“It’s just been too short a time for him.”

Why can’t the external I know best  “ sticky beaks” just accept this ?  I despair sometimes 🤨 

Posted By: Dai38
Date Posted: 31 January 2020 at 10:20am
GPR-I agree with you to be a certain degree, but it does seem a consistent approach by all the Welsh Coaches--Gatland, Howley & now Pivac that not being in Wales is a reason for non selection.

We must all remember that International rugby is so different from club and regional rugby, how many new players get selected for their clubs after 4 training sessions, not many, regardless of their club form.

Why select them, I feel it may be part political:-

A-Showing Wales are interested in the players, and maybe stopping them playing for another country.
B-Demonstrates to them the advantage home players have
C-Selling the Welsh regions to them.

In WOL this morning Pivac stated that he and his team have looked for around 18 months at Welsh qualified players, no doubt as part of a strategic approach agreed by his employers--WRU.

In short they have to shine in training and I'm sure they will all have a cap by the end of 2020

-------------
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!

Posted By: Scarlet Emperor
Date Posted: 31 January 2020 at 10:57am
North is going to have his hands full against good opposition down the 13 channel. Defensively awkward position to play with people hitting the ball at speed against you or hitting angles. This will be a bid test for him this tournament. Hope his experience brings him through but for me he can get turned easily when defending.? If we’re on top though he’ll be an extra weapon attack.

Date Posted: 31 January 2020 at 11:10am
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Pivac :“But unfortunately he came into camp with an injury and couldn’t train much last week, I think he had the one run. Then, of course, being an exile, he had to go home.

“He hasn’t had the opportunities that Johnny McNicholl and Josh Adams have. It’s counted against him, the injury and the unavailability.

Why can’t the external I know best  “ sticky beaks” just accept this ?  I despair sometimes 🤨 

ha ha give over we are all entitled to our views fella. As for north and mcnicholl over lrz and tomkins v blAnd safety first selections .  Pivac selections over last 12 months have been poor imo this keeps the run going

Date Posted: 31 January 2020 at 11:38am

ha ha give over we are all entitled to our views fella. As for north and mcnicholl over lrz and tomkins v blAnd safety first selections .  Pivac selections over last 12 months have been poor imo this keeps the run going
 Indeed RR it’s all about opinions  👍 Indeed  my own sticky beak is certainly hovering  re North, as I don’t know how it will go with him at centre but , as for LRZ I do take the reasons from coaches as being justifiable. Plenty of time to phase him in imo. We shall soon find out! 

Posted By: greypower1
Date Posted: 31 January 2020 at 11:55am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

If availability is such a problem then why pick them in the squad? I, of course, look forward to seeing the game but this really was his chance to get to look at a few players like LRZ, WGJ & Rowlands at International level. Will he really have the bottle to throw them in against France or England if things go horribly wrong in Dublin?

I share other forum contributors thoughts about Pivac & selection - it has gone all to hell over the past 12 months. A 4 try bonus point win is an absolute must for Saturday anything else will be failure & no end of plenty of things to work on, glad to get a win under our belts nonsense will hide that fact. 

I fully expect this team to do just that but regret the lack of boldness in selection. Trying to justify not selecting LRZ on lack of training time is a cop out. Yes he reported to camp with a knock but played 80 minutes on the weekend. 
Yes he played 80 mins, but he was caught out a few times defensively and in my opinion needs more time with Wales squad before giving him game time.

-------------
Keep the faith

Date Posted: 31 January 2020 at 12:05pm

Indeed RR it’s all about opinions  👍 Indeed  my own sticky beak is certainly hovering  re North, as I don’t know how it will go with him at centre but , as for LRZ I do take the reasons from coaches as being justifiable. Plenty of time to phase him in imo. We shall soon find out! 
I think the only way zammitt will feature in the 6 nations is if our other wingers get injured.

Date Posted: 31 January 2020 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

I think the only way zammitt will feature in the 6 nations is if our other wingers get injured.

Possibly - or he may get a shot at Scotland, depending on how results and form have gone by then.

-------------
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)

Date Posted: 31 January 2020 at 4:01pm

Sticky beaks - thats a belter. Well this sticky beak still thinks Pivac has copped out. As for LRZ he may well get to play in this 6 nation before the end of the tournament - he could be invited into the England camp by fast Eddie. As for how long it takes to bring players into a cohesive group - this week would have been plenty of time if they were really convinced. 

Posted By: scarletnut
Date Posted: 31 January 2020 at 4:07pm

Sticky beaks - thats a belter. Well this sticky beak still thinks Pivac has copped out. As for LRZ he may well get to play in this 6 nation before the end of the tournament - he could be invited into the England camp by fast Eddie. As for how long it takes to bring players into a cohesive group - this week would have been plenty of time if they were really convinced. 
LRZ isn’t English qualified 

-------------
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1

Date Posted: 31 January 2020 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Thought he'd lived there for 3 years - apologies if incorrect. 

Date Posted: 31 January 2020 at 4:57pm

Thought he'd lived there for 3 years - apologies if incorrect. 

Listed as having played for Hartpury College from 2017... month not known.

-------------

Posted By: Eastern outpost
Date Posted: 31 January 2020 at 5:15pm
Just on my way back from a London Welsh Supporters Club fund raising lunch at Richmond.

Great ambiance, vg quality and quantity of food. Entertaining and enlightening Q&A with Cai Griffiths and Steven Shingler.

Of relevance to this topic is that LW always have a coach travelling to the home internationals. Only three coaches get to enter the ring of steel in Cardiff on these match days. 

One for each team and the LW coach.

For those wondering why, it is because they hire the City Hall for great food and drink, guaranteed seats to eat, drink and chat pre and post match.

-------------
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.

Date Posted: 31 January 2020 at 5:54pm
The match day band and choir coaches also gain access i think? 

Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 31 January 2020 at 5:56pm
Tomorrow is about Pivac of course, but also whether letting Edwards go presents a fall off in our defence ( which has been the cornerstone of our play for a while).

Date Posted: 31 January 2020 at 5:59pm

Sounds logical.

-------------

Date Posted: 31 January 2020 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Sounds logical.
logic and welsh rugby rArely heard in same sentence

Date Posted: 31 January 2020 at 6:02pm
In the days when I lived in SW London, the LW coach to the international was THE way to go.   And City Hall so convenient and comfortable, avoiding the crush in pubs by the ground. Highly recommended.  

Date Posted: 31 January 2020 at 7:20pm

In the days when I lived in SW London, the LW coach to the international was THE way to go.   And City Hall so convenient and comfortable, avoiding the crush in pubs by the ground. Highly recommended.  

You guys have been spoiled!

Back in the day, when travelling in the opposite direction for England v Wales at Twickers, we used to go to the Old Deer Park in the morning, to see LW play Cardiff - both quite decent teams, usually, despite the absence of the internationals. We 'enjoyed', if that is the word, a liquid lunch from the 7-pint cans on sale at the bar (saved on queuing time), then walked the mile or so to the cabbage patch, to see Wales (often) winning.

-------------

Posted By: dr_martinov
Date Posted: 01 February 2020 at 10:32am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Tomorrow is about Pivac of course, but also whether letting Edwards go presents a fall off in our defence ( which has been the cornerstone of our play for a while).

Doubt we'll learn much against Italy but I may be surprised.

Posted By: surfing-mtber
Date Posted: 01 February 2020 at 3:15pm
Jonny Mac involved everything good in attack,  Jake also everywhere, real nuisance at the breakdown. Leigh, good at everything as usual. Adam's a brilliant finisher.
Glimpse of Tomkins, could be the real deal.
HT 21-0

-------------
Joshua24:15

Date Posted: 01 February 2020 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by surfing-mtber surfing-mtber wrote:

Jonny Mac involved everything good in attack,  Jake also everywhere, real nuisance at the breakdown. Leigh, good at everything as usual. Adam's a brilliant finisher.
Glimpse of Tomkins, could be the real deal.
HT 21-0
 Good passing and rush defence with Tompkins. The ream do look a little more open than before hoping we can cut free this half!

Posted By: Grammar School Boy
Date Posted: 01 February 2020 at 3:35pm
Wyn Jones having a poor game

Posted By: Mr Ian
Date Posted: 01 February 2020 at 4:08pm
Good work out, now I m read for watch the game....

Date Posted: 01 February 2020 at 4:09pm
Scrum and lineout will be exposed big time next week.

-------------
Keep the faith

Date Posted: 01 February 2020 at 4:11pm
Tompkins a very canny acquisition by Pivac. George had a good game.

-------------

Posted By: Grammar School Boy
Date Posted: 01 February 2020 at 4:15pm
Wales flattered by the score,  Elias looked good, and looks closer to taking over.

Date Posted: 01 February 2020 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by greypower1 greypower1 wrote:

Scrum and lineout will be exposed big time next week.
Rob Evs to start next week, Shings to play the first half next week to shore up the lineout, Wainwright to come on from the bench. Thought Brown scrummaged well. 

-------------

Date Posted: 01 February 2020 at 4:22pm
Good day at the office. Very efficient took our chances, defended well turnover a fair bit of ball. The best part was to see how seemlessly the returning stars and the new kids settled. Delighted with Tompkins, johnny mac was everywhere, faletau is back, webb a nice cameo, jarod had a run too, Elias heavily involved. The biggest concern was the scrum at times which creaked a bit mid match. Ireland will obviously target that. Star men parkes was very good, north did well, halfpenny solid game, tom williams was very good, the competition at 9 is crazy. Biggar was classy , vintage pass kicked everything, tips top tackler stole ball too...Tompkins was superb on debut , Ball was a workhorse...Adams best finisher in the world atm

I thought the ref failed to police the back foot law which at times decimated attacking rugby. Our kicking strategy was way ahead of theirs too. Nice start for pivac and co, great to see warburton involved such a smart move to bring him in. The irish game is already an absolute monster , cawdor, liam, beard, watkin maybe navidi too could all possibly be in the selection mix. Getting harder to select this welsh team. 

-------------

Date Posted: 01 February 2020 at 5:25pm
You can add the line out gap to that, too.

Webb might need to wake up to the fact that refereeing has moved on since he was at the Ospreys and playing for penalties. Hopefully, his thinking can move to trying to create rather than milk penalties. Noticed 2 or 3 times the ref was on his case about this.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 February 2020 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

You can add the line out gap to that, too.

Webb might need to wake up to the fact that refereeing has moved on since he was at the Ospreys and playing for penalties. Hopefully, his thinking can move to trying to create rather than milk penalties. Noticed 2 or 3 times the ref was on his case about this.
Your right EO Steve 👍

Date Posted: 01 February 2020 at 5:42pm
If the others are fit try picking a team for next week?

-------------

Posted By: Jones2004
Date Posted: 01 February 2020 at 5:48pm
The WRU really do need to do something about the atmosphere at the games or they’re going to lose the next generation of fans. A start would be to create a reasonably priced ‘year pass’ with all those fans seated together to get a signing section of loyal fans seated together.

Date Posted: 01 February 2020 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by Jones2004 Jones2004 wrote:

The WRU really do need to do something about the atmosphere at the games or they’re going to lose the next generation of fans. A start would be to create a reasonably priced ‘year pass’ with all those fans seated together to get a signing section of loyal fans seated together.

They seemed to be playing a few hymns on the loudspeakers to try and ignite some singing....One wonders if so many know all the words these days and how many are staring inanely at their phones throughout the matches too. maybe they can put the words on the big screens? having a few trumpet players in the stands may help.. Ive noticed anyone caught on camera during the anthem starts gesticulating at the cameralike animals at feeding time and duly forgetting to sing the song. 

-------------

Posted By: Cofi
Date Posted: 01 February 2020 at 6:13pm
Atosphere was poor again, only came alive in last 10 mins. Disagree with comments re Rob Evs still think he is a liability and snubbing Wyn Jones as he came off smacks of prima donna ism ifthere is such a word!
Italy were small and weak next week will be the test 

Date Posted: 01 February 2020 at 6:33pm
Wales missed Gareth Davies today plus Liam Williams and Tompkins to start would make a difference.

Date Posted: 01 February 2020 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by henry_winkler henry_winkler wrote:

Wales missed Gareth Davies today plus Liam Williams and Tompkins to start would make a difference.

Who does Liam start ahead of? Thought Halfpenny should have been man of the match today. Unpopular opinion but I think he’s the better full back.

-------------
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1

Date Posted: 01 February 2020 at 7:07pm

Who does Liam start ahead of? Thought Halfpenny should have been man of the match today. Unpopular opinion but I think he’s the better full back.

Defensively he is the best full back in the world, we’ve also had glimpses of his attacking prowess this season too. 

Date Posted: 01 February 2020 at 7:12pm

Defensively he is the best full back in the world, we’ve also had glimpses of his attacking prowess this season too. 
Hes getting his attacking sparkle back after its dulling in Toulon. 

-------------

Date Posted: 01 February 2020 at 7:12pm

Ahead of McNicholl and North. 

Posted By: Mogwen
Date Posted: 01 February 2020 at 7:13pm
Acback three of adams halfpenny and liam.....yes please

-------------
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Date Posted: 01 February 2020 at 7:17pm
Both Adams and Halfpenny should have been ahead of Tipuric as MOM. Jiffy just played safe and went with the statistics. Tipuric may have made a lot of tackles, but I can't remember any of them being outstanding or ones that most other 7s wouldn't also have completed equally well.

Date Posted: 01 February 2020 at 7:19pm
likely side
15 hapenny
14 liam
13 north
12 parkes
11 adams
10 biggar
9 cawdor
8 faletau
7 tips
6 wainwright
5 awj
4 ball
3 lewis
2 ken
1 wyn
reps wyn elias/dee brown hill moriarty tom williams jarod tompkins

-------------

Date Posted: 01 February 2020 at 7:22pm
Ireland were a bit stop start today , as usual they will try to bully up front , driving lineouts pick and drivers strong scrum lots of kicking ....They nearly lost it today in the end an incredible lost try and a few turonvers won the day. Theyve bullied us a bit in the summer friendlies but we rolled them over in the grand slam game. Thsi si the make or break game this season.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 February 2020 at 7:33pm

Both Adams and Halfpenny should have been ahead of Tipuric as MOM. Jiffy just played safe and went with the statistics. Tipuric may have made a lot of tackles, but I can't remember any of them being outstanding or ones that most other 7s wouldn't also have completed equally well.

He did tackle a lot today but most of them were a 2nan job. Rarely did he tackle 1 on 1. Adams was good enough for mom. I though ball did a lot of the donkey work today that allowed the likes of tipuric to get the headlines

-------------

Date Posted: 01 February 2020 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

likely side
15 hapenny
14 liam
13 north
12 parkes
11 adams
10 biggar
9 cawdor
8 faletau
7 tips
6 wainwright
5 awj
4 ball
3 lewis
2 ken
1 wyn
reps wyn elias/dee brown hill moriarty tom williams jarod tompkins

I cant see lewis starting next game. He was shockingbin the scrums and brown made more yards in his short cameo. Brown to start and WGJ on bench

-------------

Posted By: Hendre
Date Posted: 01 February 2020 at 7:50pm
Both Brown and Lewis are poor scrummagers and therein may lie the problem moving forward. 

-------------
You were born to win, but to be a winner, you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.
Zig Ziglar

Date Posted: 01 February 2020 at 7:51pm
Falatau was invisible, needs to bench next week.  Our scrum is a huge problem and Ireland will really target it.  North is no centre and not much of a wing these days so Tompkins to start next week.

-------------
Keep the faith

Posted By: Realwest
Date Posted: 01 February 2020 at 8:53pm
For me Halfpenny was MOM he was solid in defence and his attacking play has improved since he has been with us. He will be hard to drop.

North was not effective at centre and Tomkins showed a lot more and deserves to start against ireland

Then theres the kid LRZ is only 18 but hes good enough so lets get him in there. 

Liam Williams is amazing, too good to not be in the squad but as he is coming back from injury id have him on the bench just so its not too much first game back

So my backs would be 

9 Gareth Davies
10 Dan Biggar
11 Josh Adams
12 Hadleigh Parkes
13 Nick Tomkins
14 Louis Rees Zammit
15 Leigh Halfpenny 

Posted By: Dic Penderyn
Date Posted: 01 February 2020 at 9:02pm
Maybe I am blind to some degree,but I struggle to see Halfpenny's attacking prowess.Now that he no longer takes the kicks,I think his days with Wales are numbered.

Date Posted: 01 February 2020 at 9:02pm
I think the thing with Halfpenny & Williams is they can switch easily, so when we’re attacking Williams lines up at FB but he swings out to the wing & Halfpenny moves to FB. 

Date Posted: 01 February 2020 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by Dic Penderyn Dic Penderyn wrote:

Maybe I am blind to some degree,but I struggle to see Halfpenny's attacking prowess.Now that he no longer takes the kicks,I think his days with Wales are numbered.
Are you for real? Halfpenny was outstanding today. Defensively and tactically you don’t question him but his attacking game has improved massively. 

-------------

Posted By: turkishrebel
Date Posted: 01 February 2020 at 10:04pm
My man of the match, always made yards and safe as houses. Attacked line superbly. Him and Liam in back 3 with adams gives you everything 

-------------
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!

Date Posted: 01 February 2020 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Originally posted by Jones2004 Jones2004 wrote:

They seemed to be playing a few hymns on the loudspeakers to try and ignite some singing....One wonders if so many know all the words these days and how many are staring inanely at their phones throughout the matches too. maybe they can put the words on the big screens? having a few trumpet players in the stands may help.. Ive noticed anyone caught on camera during the anthem starts gesticulating at the cameralike animals at feeding time and duly forgetting to sing the song. 
 Yeah, definitely noticed that going on for a while now. Wish they’d keep the camara on the field. They like to jump up infront of the coaches when there in the stand as well.

Date Posted: 01 February 2020 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by turkishrebel turkishrebel wrote:

My man of the match, always made yards and safe as houses. Attacked line superbly. Him and Liam in back 3 with adams gives you everything 
 Yeah he always seemed to be in the right place. He kicked well and ran quite a bit with the ball. Big game I thought

Date Posted: 01 February 2020 at 10:20pm
The few hundred brilliant Scarlet fans at London Irish a few weeks ago made more noise at that game than the welsh crowd did today. 

Date Posted: 01 February 2020 at 11:32pm

Are you for real? Halfpenny was outstanding today. Defensively and tactically you don’t question him but his attacking game has improved massively. 
 Agreed. He was superb today. Safe as houses and always went past the gain line . 

Posted By: Scarletstarch
Date Posted: 02 February 2020 at 12:41am
If you watch the try that George North scored you will see he was helped by Alun Wyn's weight behind him and dragging George across the try line, well done Alun Wyn! Clap

-------------
"YMA O HYD"

Date Posted: 02 February 2020 at 1:02am
Originally posted by Scarletstarch Scarletstarch wrote:

If you watch the try that George North scored you will see he was helped by Alun Wyn's weight behind him and dragging George across the try line, well done Alun Wyn! Clap

Yeah that was about 80% AWJ. Without him he's not scoring.

Posted By: Why
Date Posted: 02 February 2020 at 3:12am
I thought Johnny looked poor in defence to be honest if he plays like that against likes of Stockdale he be in for torrid time.

-------------
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.

Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 02 February 2020 at 4:39am
Parkes had his best game for quite a while yesterday. He’s not there to offer pace, guile and incisive play. He’s the definition of solid.

I thought Tomkins had a great debut, but I would still go for Watkin at 13 next week. Lot of love for Tomkins, and much deserved, but it’s Ireland away, and Watkin should get the nod just on his time with the backline.

North can do some centre play well, but with the ball he isn’t a distributor, runs at space to the outside every time ( running his winger in to touch ), blitzing randomly, and got caught a couple of times faces the wrong way in a drift. A better backline would exploit that. He’s just a winger playing centre is all.

I thought Biggar was outstanding.

Posted By: Scarlet Tom
Date Posted: 02 February 2020 at 8:00am
Originally posted by Scarlet Emperor Scarlet Emperor wrote:

The few hundred brilliant Scarlet fans at London Irish a few weeks ago made more noise at that game than the welsh crowd did today. 

Indeed. On TV the atmosphere certainly came across as poor. I think many people who go to the big international games don't have an appreciation of the 'need' for noise, vibrancy and indeed singing from the crowd.

Good to have a solid enough win for Pivac's Six Nations debut but we will need to be better in the coming games. 

Date Posted: 02 February 2020 at 8:17am

Totally agree with you Scarletnut - Halfpenny for me clear MOM. Well what can you say when you win 42-0?. Our set piece was poor - Wyn, Ken & Dillon were poor. Brown showed how dangerous he can be when came on, he and Ryan really carried hard. All 3 centres did ok with, for me Parkes & Tompkins being the pick. North did ok but he is no 13 - his running lines and passing ability just aren't there. Lets be brutally honest Italy were shocking. They kept giving us ball & field position.

Ireland should have lost to Scotland and their scrum was under pressure. Well done to Tandy for  a vast improvement in Scotland's defensive play - perhaps some on here will join me and give an ex-Osprey some credit at least. 

As for selection next week I don't see Pivac changing things much. Liam apparently won't be ready; I can't see him giving LRZ a run in Dublin. We need Cawdor back starting for me to pressurise the hell out of Sexton for starters. Webb was woeful when he came on yesterday showing a total lack of control. I would change the tight head, bring in WGJ to start. My team for Ireland with Pivac's probable selection in brackets if different :-

15. Halfpenny
14. LRZ ( Jonny)
13. Tompkins (George)
12. Hadleigh
11. Adams
10. Biggar
9. Cawdor (Tomos)
8. Faletau
7. Tipuric 
6. Shingler (Wainwright)
5. AWJ 
4. Jake
3. WGJ (Lewis)
2. Ken
1. Wyn

16. Ryan (Dee)
17. Carre
18. Brown
19. Hill
20. Wainwright (Moriarty)
21. Tomos ( Cawdor)
22. Evans
23. George (Tompkins).

My selections at 16-20 would all add some real carrying power for the final stages of what could be a close game. Ireland picked up some knocks yesterday with Doris, Ringrose & Kilcoyne all being doubtful for next week. Their back 3 are all defensively error prone with Larmour, despite his electric pace & stepping, prone to over playing from the back. The Scots caught him a number of times with little support. We will need to improve our set piece by 50% to compete. If we do we are in a with a decent chance. 

Date Posted: 02 February 2020 at 8:23am
Cant see him dropping tomos after yesterday. It was one of his most influential games yet. For all the praise on tipuric here and on tv, i would go forxa back row of faletau, moriaty and navidi against a powerful irrland pack. If he chooses tompkins at center, north will be on the wing. The only other change would be TH. Lewis is notb international standard.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 February 2020 at 8:34am
Originally posted by Mogwen Mogwen wrote:

Cant see him dropping tomos after yesterday. It was one of his most influential games yet. For all the praise on tipuric here and on tv, i would go forxa back row of faletau, moriaty and navidi against a powerful irrland pack. If he chooses tompkins at center, north will be on the wing. The only other change would be TH. Lewis is notb international standard.

I can't see him dropping Tomos but Cawdor for me is better. His lung bursting defensive ability will be crucial in hustling Sexton and for me Cawdor scores yesterday when Tomos kicks through and gets overhauled by Tomas Allen. Navidi is not available until the England game at the earliest - I too would have gone for him for his great work on the floor. I agree about Lewis. 

Date Posted: 02 February 2020 at 9:06am

Originally posted by Mogwen Mogwen wrote:

I can't see him dropping Tomos but Cawdor for me is better. His lung bursting defensive ability will be crucial in hustling Sexton and for me Cawdor scores yesterday when Tomos kicks through and gets overhauled by Tomas Allen. Navidi is not available until the England game at the earliest - I too would have gone for him for his great work on the floor. I agree about Lewis. 

Totally agree about cawdor.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 February 2020 at 10:00am
Originally posted by Scarletstarch Scarletstarch wrote:

Yes AWJ is a wiley old Fox., Clever stuff

Posted By: dr_martinov
Date Posted: 02 February 2020 at 10:30am
Nothing much offered by Italy but some fine performances yesterday. While North isn't a centre and will get exposed by good teams, I liked that he was psyched up and into it yesterday, good to see. Tompkins has talent and I liked his BBC story, particularly ""It was funny seeing my dad have to dress up in a Wales shirt because he's very English, but my mum was very happy about it.". And saying how Ken's been helping him with the anthem. Sounds like a good squad spirit.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net