Forum Description: Team News, Season Tickets, Next Match
URL: http://www.scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=45774
Printed Date: 05 July 2020 at 10:13am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Toulon/European Rugby
Posted By: cymraes
Subject: Toulon/European Rugby
Date Posted: 02 March 2020 at 6:57pm
Does the French Government ban on events of over 5,000 affect our game against Toulon?  Loads of speculation about future of 6 Nations but what about European Cup rugby - nothing on their website.

Replies:
Posted By: 157cb
Date Posted: 02 March 2020 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by cymraes cymraes wrote:

Does the French Government ban on events of over 5,000 affect our game against Toulon?  Loads of speculation about future of 6 Nations but what about European Cup rugby - nothing on their website.

Not at the moment that ban is for indoor stadia .

Posted By: Wasp
Date Posted: 02 March 2020 at 8:23pm
Top 14 all went ahead this weekend 

-------------
We're still still here!

Posted By: tannerbankboy
Date Posted: 02 March 2020 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

Originally posted by cymraes cymraes wrote:

Not at the moment that ban is for indoor stadia .

Crazy if that's the criteria, in or out disease spreads

Posted By: PTScarlet
Date Posted: 03 March 2020 at 3:12am
Happy to host at PYS Wink

-------------
One eyed turk, nothing more nothing less.

Date Posted: 03 March 2020 at 9:21am
Thanks guys. Lot can happen in the meantime but fingers crossed.

Posted By: aber-fan
Date Posted: 03 March 2020 at 1:43pm
This is a concern - I'm going to France on 20th of this month, and intend to travel down to Toulon by train... however, IF things continue to deteriorate, then I won't be going. It'll cost... train tickets already paid for.

-------------
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)

Posted By: SAV
Date Posted: 03 March 2020 at 5:11pm
Everybody is in the same situation.  I've paid for whole trip.  If game goes ahead.  It will be up to the individual if they what to travel or not . 

-------------
as all the coaches left stradey , bound for nottingham , a sign on the m4 at hendy said , please can the last person close the door behind them , memories

Posted By: Why
Date Posted: 04 March 2020 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by SAV SAV wrote:

Everybody is in the same situation.  I've paid for whole trip.  If game goes ahead.  It will be up to the individual if they what to travel or not . 
To be honest ive booked been looking forward since the fixture came out if there is just the same chance of catching it there as here why not go. Will be great weekend boys need our support as long as it's not rife in Toulon don't see the worry. 

-------------
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.

Date Posted: 04 March 2020 at 8:43pm

If the game goes ahead and unless flights are cancelled ? I will be there .There is a risk crossing the road .

Posted By: ladram
Date Posted: 05 March 2020 at 5:18am

If the game goes ahead and unless flights are cancelled ? I will be there .There is a risk crossing the road .
hope your not with flybe.Cry

-------------
30th june 1986- 30th june 2011.25 years roofing,i wouldn't call that dodgy.

Date Posted: 05 March 2020 at 4:46pm
Other problem is if the game is postponed and you cant get your money back for flight . I still might go and have a quite weekend in the south of france . What the hell.  4 weeks you go.  

-------------
as all the coaches left stradey , bound for nottingham , a sign on the m4 at hendy said , please can the last person close the door behind them , memories

Posted By: NeylandAllBlack
Date Posted: 05 March 2020 at 5:08pm

Other problem is if the game is postponed and you cant get your money back for flight . I still might go and have a quite weekend in the south of france . What the hell.  4 weeks you go.  

Are you flying to Nice?

Date Posted: 05 March 2020 at 6:03pm
Tickets are in the ticket office now 👍

-------------
We're still still here!

Date Posted: 06 March 2020 at 11:13am
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

Tickets are in the ticket office now 👍

12 quid is a bargain!!

Date Posted: 06 March 2020 at 4:17pm
Flying in to Marseille with ba 

-------------

Date Posted: 06 March 2020 at 4:45pm

Flying in to Marseille with ba 
Same

-------------
We're still still here!

Posted By: Micro Duck
Date Posted: 09 March 2020 at 10:34am
France have now banned all gatherings of more than 1,000 people.

They are also considering restrictions on public transport.

Posted By: RR1972
Date Posted: 09 March 2020 at 10:41am
Originally posted by Micro Duck Micro Duck wrote:

France have now banned all gatherings of more than 1,000 people.

They are also considering restrictions on public transport.

I have a very bad feeling that the only way this game is on,  is if it will be played behind closed doors.

Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 09 March 2020 at 10:55am
I'm not sure why anyone would want to travel to that region right now tbh.

Date Posted: 09 March 2020 at 11:44am
Better news - I understand that the SNCF will now refund rail fares for trips already booked for dates up to the end of April.

I haven't been able to find an English-language link for this yet, though.

This is a Twitter comment from the SNCF to confirm... 

http://twitter.com/GroupeSNCF/status/1236961376364527616/photo/1" rel="nofollow - https://twitter.com/GroupeSNCF/status/1236961376364527616/photo/1

-------------
(Ivan Turgenev)

Posted By: GPR - Rochester
Date Posted: 09 March 2020 at 11:48am
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Better news - I understand that the SNCF will now refund rail fares for trips already booked for dates up to the end of April.

I haven't been able to find an English-language link for this yet, though.

This is a Twitter comment from the SNCF to confirm... 

http://twitter.com/GroupeSNCF/status/1236961376364527616/photo/1" rel="nofollow - https://twitter.com/GroupeSNCF/status/1236961376364527616/photo/1

Glad to see some sense emerging. 

Posted By: minded
Date Posted: 09 March 2020 at 4:55pm
http://www.scarlets.wales/en/team-news/articles/statement-from-epcr-on-european-quarter-finals/" rel="nofollow - https://www.scarlets.wales/en/team-news/articles/statement-from-epcr-on-european-quarter-finals/

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPLe3ApXjW4&list=PL576FE48C1F044909&index=1" rel="nofollow - Scarlets Tries of the Season 2009 - 2019

Posted By: Dai38
Date Posted: 09 March 2020 at 5:12pm
With all the issues around the coronavirus I honestly feel that the matches should be cancelled. The rise of known cases in Italy should be a warning for us all.

I am not one for worrying too much, and certainly not scaremongering either, just my feelings 

I was in a rugby function in Cardiff on Saturday, and was told that the NZ tour is doubtful at best, with others saying it will be off.

-------------
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!

Date Posted: 09 March 2020 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by Dai38 Dai38 wrote:

With all the issues around the coronavirus I honestly feel that the matches should be cancelled. The rise of known cases in Italy should be a warning for us all.

I am not one for worrying too much, and certainly not scaremongering either, just my feelings 

I was in a rugby function in Cardiff on Saturday, and was told that the NZ tour is doubtful at best, with others saying it will be off.

I'll probably go to Wales v Scotland, given the small number of cases in Wales and not that many in Scotland either... however, I have reluctantly decided against travelling to Toulon, even if the game goes ahead - it may well still be called off, as there is a while to go yet. Toulon is not right on the Italian border, but it's not that far away, either. 

The PSG v Dortmund football match will be played behind closed doors on Wednesday, so it's not looking great for sporting events in France.

-------------
(Ivan Turgenev)

Date Posted: 09 March 2020 at 9:25pm

I'll probably go to Wales v Scotland, given the small number of cases in Wales and not that many in Scotland either... however, I have reluctantly decided against travelling to Toulon, even if the game goes ahead - it may well still be called off, as there is a while to go yet. Toulon is not right on the Italian border, but it's not that far away, either. 

The PSG v Dortmund football match will be played behind closed doors on Wednesday, so it's not looking great for sporting events in France.
Just heard the French have banned sports events with crowds of over 5,000 outdoors as well as indoors. Seeing as we were taking about half that guess the game will be off unless there is miracle cure. 

-------------

Posted By: scarletnut
Date Posted: 09 March 2020 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

Just heard the French have banned sports events with crowds of over 5,000 outdoors as well as indoors. Seeing as we were taking about half that guess the game will be off unless there is miracle cure. 
If I was a betting man I’d say the game will be played behind closed doors

-------------
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1

Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 09 March 2020 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

So looking at something positive- the Scarlets won’t lose any gate or bar money but Toulon will. On the other hand our fans miss out other than a possible social outing to South of France 

-------------
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook

Date Posted: 09 March 2020 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

So looking at something positive- the Scarlets won’t lose any gate or bar money but Toulon will. On the other hand our fans miss out other than a possible social outing to South of France 
Still going if flights are

-------------

Date Posted: 10 March 2020 at 8:30am
I cannot see this game going ahead with spectators. A day is a long time with this virus and Toulon, as someone else mentioned, is pretty close to Northern Italy. With a few weeks before the fixture things are going to get dramatically worse in UK & France before things improve.

All Scarlet supporters should take a deep breath and consider the implications to their own families, elderly relatives etc of travelling. Aber I feel you have made the only sensible decision available. 

Date Posted: 10 March 2020 at 8:37am

Spot on Dai - expert advice suggests that this virus will take 3 months to reach its peak and another 3 months to clear. That puts the summer tours for all European countries pretty impossible to fulfill in my eyes. 

Date Posted: 10 March 2020 at 9:36am
The French Government has been quite clear. No events of more than 1,000 people will go ahead.

European Rugby has said that it will respect such rulings, but that all games are scheduled to go ahead.

The inference is that games in France will be played with no fans in attendance.

I'm taking the financial hit and won't be travelling to Toulon.

I feel it would be irresponsible in the current climate to travel almost to the epicentre of the European outbreak,

Date Posted: 10 March 2020 at 10:19am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Spot on Dai - expert advice suggests that this virus will take 3 months to reach its peak and another 3 months to clear. That puts the summer tours for all European countries pretty impossible to fulfill in my eyes. 
AND thank god a summer break for the players!! 👍

-------------
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook

Posted By: Flaggman
Date Posted: 10 March 2020 at 4:14pm
On the plus side we’ll have more chance of winning if there’s no home support.

Date Posted: 10 March 2020 at 4:27pm

Looks like most supporters will be heading to the South of France, unless flights are cancelled there will be no refunds .

Posted By: turkishrebel
Date Posted: 10 March 2020 at 4:30pm

going to be an interesting couple of weeks mark!

-------------
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!

Date Posted: 11 March 2020 at 9:25am

Looks like most supporters will be heading to the South of France, unless flights are cancelled there will be no refunds .

I won't. I value the health of my family too much to risk it.

Date Posted: 11 March 2020 at 10:11am

It's a lot of money to lose if you booked transfers hotels and flights

I don't see anyway that travelling fans will be allowed into the game but I also don't see anyway they will put a travel ban on going to france

I wouldn't blame anyone for going or for not going

There are arguments for both courses of action

Date Posted: 11 March 2020 at 11:35am
The heart says 'go', the head says 'no'.  Given the Chief Health Officer's predictions last night we might all be in lock-down by then anyway and flights cancelled.  Wait and see I think

Posted By: Bryn@man
Date Posted: 11 March 2020 at 12:10pm
Fortunately we've managed to cancel / get refunds for hotels & airport parking. Match ticket costs should be refunded. Easyjet flight club membership allows flight route / dates to be changed without penalty, though given the current climate I'm not sure its worth the hassle of travelling anywhere at moment.

Not sure going to the Cote d'Azur on the shant is such a wise idea..

Date Posted: 11 March 2020 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by Bryn@man Bryn@man wrote:

Fortunately we've managed to cancel / get refunds for hotels & airport parking. Match ticket costs should be refunded. Easyjet flight club membership allows flight route / dates to be changed without penalty, though given the current climate I'm not sure its worth the hassle of travelling anywhere at moment.

I fully see your point. 

Date Posted: 11 March 2020 at 12:35pm
same as you cymraes, heart says go head says no.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 March 2020 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by Bryn@man Bryn@man wrote:

You've gone soft you since you stopped working in Pembs!!

Date Posted: 11 March 2020 at 1:15pm

If there is one good thing to come out of this - it's the possibility that our players will have a decent break to recover fully from all their knocks. It seemed like a Mission Impossible, anyway.

-------------
(Ivan Turgenev)

Posted By: Bryn@man
Date Posted: 11 March 2020 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by NeylandAllBlack NeylandAllBlack wrote:

You've gone soft you since you stopped working in Pembs!!

I'm looking out over the Cleddau as I type mun…

The thought of trying to sup a glass of vin rouge through a surgical mask casts a shadow over some great memories from the previous Toulon trips.

Date Posted: 11 March 2020 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by turkishrebel turkishrebel wrote:

same as you cymraes, heart says go head says no.
Same here . Cant decide if I want to go . If I dont get a decision in the next few days  its looking like I will cancel .  Might get a bit of money back . 

-------------

Posted By: Roger
Date Posted: 11 March 2020 at 5:37pm
Just saw a tweet saying that tickets for the Toulon game have been suspended

Posted By: Roger
Date Posted: 11 March 2020 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by Roger Roger wrote:

Just saw a tweet saying that tickets for the Toulon game have been suspended

Didn't say if the game is being played behind closed doors though.

Date Posted: 12 March 2020 at 10:56pm
My flight is cancelled from Heathrow,  sorry boys I am out. 

-------------

Posted By: Mrfwon
Date Posted: 12 March 2020 at 11:05pm

If there is one good thing to come out of this - it's the possibility that our players will have a decent break to recover fully from all their knocks. It seemed like a Mission Impossible, anyway.

Providing they don't get the virus too hey? 🤷‍♂️

-------------
Guinness Pro 12 Champions 2017...get in!

Date Posted: 31 March 2020 at 8:52am
Anybody had there flight refunded yet , I've had no luck from BA. 

-------------

Date Posted: 31 March 2020 at 10:36am

Anybody had there flight refunded yet , I've had no luck from BA. 
not Toulon ,but we've had an e mail from thai airlines saying our refunds could take up to 8 weeks.

-------------

Posted By: ap sior
Date Posted: 31 March 2020 at 11:29am
Article in today's Guardian by Nick Trend regarding refunds from easyjet.

He suggests using the form that can be found at

easyjet.com/en/help/easyjet-holidays/contact-us

I'll be writing later. I was due to fly Bristol to Nice this Thursday and back on Saturday. 

All the best to those applying, please post on here to let others know how you get on.

Posted By: Eastern outpost
Date Posted: 31 March 2020 at 6:17pm
Very different situation, I know, however EasyJet were great with our 2 day delay in Jersey, courtesy of Storm Ciara. Great hotel, too.

-------------
Any offence taken on board is only a literate/cy consequence. Every attempt at humour is just that. No personal insult intended. Standards lowered for trolls.

Posted By: solva
Date Posted: 28 April 2020 at 6:40pm
No sporting events in France - even behind closed doors - till September at least.  

Date Posted: 28 April 2020 at 6:53pm
How would our QF v Toulon be able to take place in September unless EPC Rugby are aiming to wind up the 19/20 competitions in the autumn?

If they are, what does that say for the 20/21 comps?

-------------
Any offence taken on board is only a literate/cy consequence. Every attempt at humour is just that. No personal insult intended. Standards lowered for trolls.

Posted By: ap sior
Date Posted: 28 April 2020 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

How would our QF v Toulon be able to take place in September unless EPC Rugby are aiming to wind up the 19/20 competitions in the autumn?

There are 6 pools matches. To complete this season needs 3 rounds. 

As a one off next season, they could have only 3 pool matches as happened in the first few seasons. Each team would have 1 home pool match, but 2 teams would have an extra home match. 

Date Posted: 28 April 2020 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

There are 6 pools matches. To complete this season needs 3 rounds. 

As a one off next season, they could have only 3 pool matches as happened in the first few seasons. Each team would have 1 home pool match, but 2 teams would have an extra home match. 
Good thinking, although only fancy that if we have 2 home matches Wink

-------------

Posted By: Legendinmybathroom
Date Posted: 28 April 2020 at 7:44pm
Perhaps we can play the match at PYS but behind closed doors 🤞.  I don’t mind us doing that to help out our French cousins.

Date Posted: 28 April 2020 at 8:18pm
No way well get any  european  club rugby competition this year folks forget it

Posted By: Scarlet Emperor
Date Posted: 28 April 2020 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

No way well get any  european  club rugby competition this year folks forget it
Totally agree,don’t think many fans would feel that safe watching rugby in crowds that early. Far fetched as it might seem but this is a perfect opportunity to switch to a summer rugby season. Out of this disruption it could be the time. I have no idea who’s decision that would be. Tv would have to agree I suppose. International tour times would be disrupted. So much to do. So many vested interests. It would make rugby a lot more comfortable for the fans that turn up to the games. End the season now and start planning?! 

Date Posted: 29 April 2020 at 12:04am
Games behind closed doors still expose all players, officials and support staff to the virus. The various parties could perhaps ,go into quarantine as groups for a 2 week period together and if all are symptom free would play an outstanding game for this season and could stay in isolation as groups for ensuing games ie living in a camp environment. They could be Tested throughput as well. However that’s not perfect and would put some stresses on family life. I just struggle on how games can be played with the minimum of risk and defo no supporters until a vaccine is found or the design of carefully safe seating and only say a max of 25% capacity. My brain hurts with any solution 😕

-------------

Date Posted: 29 April 2020 at 12:13am
The only way sport behind closed doors will go ahead is with testing of players, officials and other close contact staff. Live TV programmes seem to manage already so we can assume the TV crews have systems in place.
It's still pretty unlikely to happen for a while, but if the production of tests reaches a point where supply is not an issue, I can see how this could potentially work.

Conceivably the squads could be tested, have a 4 training/ match cycle, get tested again and 3 days off.
Swab tests are non-invasive and there are companies working on instant tests.

What a weird world we're moving in to

-------------
We're still still here!

Posted By: EJPT
Date Posted: 29 April 2020 at 12:16am
The French have stopped sport until September, I think we can rule out any chance of the season being played. Behind closed doors maybe we’ll get a mini- comp they can turn into a pre-season. 

Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 29 April 2020 at 6:33am
I think we need to dial back from when we think the sporting calendar can start and think about when training for any contact sport could feasibly begin.

Date Posted: 29 April 2020 at 6:37am
I would say that would happen when a vaccine is available wil.

-------------

Posted By: Mr Ian
Date Posted: 29 April 2020 at 6:47am
In Italy rugby, like fighting sport, is considering at high risk of contagious and maybe will be in the last category of sport thar will restart after this pandemy..

Posted By: thommo
Date Posted: 29 April 2020 at 8:18am
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Do you really? If you honestly think that, then you can forget sport for a long time. Trying to identify a vaccine for a virus is extremely difficult and therefore developing said vaccine very lengrhy and complex. 

Posted By: Speedy
Date Posted: 29 April 2020 at 8:35am
France have cancelled the Ligue 1 and 2 seasons, so there is no hope of rugby starting in France. Unless they swap the quarter final to PYS. 

If Rugby gets restarted in UK, would we have a bye/buy/by/bi

or would we play Toulon at home?

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN7pGq1i2jhev2YLcZ89h7Q/videos" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN7pGq1i2jhev2YLcZ89h7Q/videos

Date Posted: 29 April 2020 at 8:40am
If a vaccine is not developed until say the middle of next year then I cannot see professional rugby surviving, certainly as we now know it. Therefore all concerned with this decision are going to be under extreme pressure to start playing &, for International Unions, filling stadia. As is customary we are getting conflicting advice and suggestions.

New Zealand appears very close to a return to normal so I would not be surprised to see rugby make a return there in coming weeks. 

Date Posted: 29 April 2020 at 9:00am
Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

France have cancelled the Ligue 1 and 2 seasons, so there is no hope of rugby starting in France. Unless they swap the quarter final to PYS. 

If Rugby gets restarted in UK, would we have a bye/buy/by/bi

or would we play Toulon at home?

More likely the competition will just be cancelled

It is unlikely we will get any cross border rugby maybe  vs English clubs but not versus irish or French sides

Posted By: sospanman
Date Posted: 29 April 2020 at 9:17am
Realistically at the moment the best we can hope for is some abbreviated or truncated return to games during the course of next year. As others have implied we may have reached a significant turning point  as regards the structure of the rugby season in the future.

-------------
Ymlaen Llanelli Scarlets

Date Posted: 29 April 2020 at 12:11pm
With P-Y-S used as a field hospital, the likelihood of rugby there in the next 3 months is I fear remote. Most parts are being used.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 April 2020 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

I think we need to dial back from when we think the sporting calendar can start and think about when training for any contact sport could feasibly begin.
You’re right, this is just boredom fuelled speculation on my part

-------------
We're still still here!

Posted By: Huwbach
Date Posted: 29 April 2020 at 10:22pm

With P-Y-S used as a field hospital, the likelihood of rugby there in the next 3 months is I fear remote. Most parts are being used.

This is the most important post in this thread - PYS WILL BE OUT OF ACTION FOR MONTHS 

Posted By: LLANDRE
Date Posted: 29 April 2020 at 10:35pm
It's been booked into the New year

-------------
West is Best (Fin gwybod)

Posted By: John
Date Posted: 30 April 2020 at 7:18am
That's the first time I've heard that. That puts both our and Wales' return in perspective. Having built the facilities, there is no way the government will give them up until they are absolutely sure they won't need them.

Date Posted: 30 April 2020 at 7:58am
Originally posted by LLANDRE LLANDRE wrote:

Understandable precautions for subsequent resurgence of the virus, which underlines the need to work together so that the interwoven fabrics of our society remain as connected as possible.

-------------

Posted By: Gate12
Date Posted: 30 April 2020 at 8:28am
The entire stadium isn't being used so if needed for games it'll just be some tweaks to match day and training.

Posted By: scarletnut
Date Posted: 30 April 2020 at 8:33am

Yeah but the pitch isn’t being used 

-------------
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1

Date Posted: 30 April 2020 at 9:24am
the games could well be played behind closed doors only for TV. if and only if they can make sure all players/staff etc are tested continually.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 April 2020 at 9:36am

the games could well be played behind closed doors only for TV. if and only if they can make sure all players/staff etc are tested continually.

how much is that going to cost in total?

the players and staff  will need to be tested every week in training for several weeks  before they even play a match 

whose going to foot the cost for this weekly test?

The NHS is maxed out if any player gets a serious injury in training or playing whose going to treat them?

Will they need to do the tests weekly until a vaccine is developed?

I don't see this happening for another 6 months minimum tbh

Date Posted: 30 April 2020 at 9:40am
I totally agree RR1972 I wouldn't play any rugby at all until this pandemic is sorted. we cant risk anyones health and the NHS. I just put that point out there.
rugby is not important at this time.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 April 2020 at 10:01am

I totally agree RR1972 I wouldn't play any rugby at all until this pandemic is sorted. we cant risk anyones health and the NHS. I just put that point out there.
rugby is not important at this time.

I Know fella I was agreeing with you

I just can't see how we can get games on for the rest of this year, maybe not until this time next year

depressingCry

Date Posted: 30 April 2020 at 10:06am
This pandemic does not only have an effect on health it also has a profound economic effect. RR's points about likelihood of us seeing major rugby being played this year are all eminently sensible points. However there is an increasing Worldwide realisation that this is going to become a trade off.

No rugby in the Northern Hemisphere until we have a vaccine, probably until Mid 2021, would in all likelihood mean that professional rugby as we know it will be lost for the foreseeable future. Regions would collapse and National Unions would go bankrupt. 

That situation is mirrored in every Industry/sector apart from a few - food retail, online shopping etc. I firmly believe that we are going to see some sort of return to professional sport within the next few months as the alternative would be just unthinkable. Italy & Spain, two badly affected countries, are slowly taking measures to return to normal with football squads starting to be allowed to train together from next Monday in Serie A.

The Uk Government will be keeping a very close eye on how things develop & if successful would lead to a step up in our relaxation rules. 

Date Posted: 30 April 2020 at 10:08am
Most of the P-Y-S is actually being used, the lounges in the stadium, the barn, and apparently even some of the hospitality boxes.  It will take ages to clear and then it will have to be cleaned, professionally.

I have heard that the Principality stadium can not be used this year, not sure if that is correct, so I think if Wales do play, it will be either the Cardiff City stadium, or the Liberty, as the 2 biggest stadiums in Wales, or even worse, play all the games away.

I am all for officially closing the 2019/20 season, and not starting for a very long time, dependant on official data (when they get it right)

-------------

Date Posted: 30 April 2020 at 10:44am
Well it looks as if the review on May 7th will result in a further lockdown of at least 3 weeks, it seems, and I agree the second wave could be nearly as high as the first one. Germany are now considering reintroducing a lockdown, as the data received on deaths are much higher than anticipated.

-------------

Posted By: stradeyscarlet72
Date Posted: 30 April 2020 at 11:09am
Germany is a real good acid test for our govt. it may be the first definitive way forward based on evidence of this dreadful virus. 
Hope everyone’s staying safe and well 

Posted By: supertaf
Date Posted: 30 April 2020 at 11:58am
Originally posted by thommo thommo wrote:

Do you really? If you honestly think that, then you can forget sport for a long time. Trying to identify a vaccine for a virus is extremely difficult and therefore developing said vaccine very lengrhy and complex. 
I agree. We cannot wait until that point before sport resumes, we may as well just give it up permanently. Being devils advocate, anyone on here happy not to see any live rugby for another 12 months, all things considered?

-------------
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872

Date Posted: 30 April 2020 at 12:00pm

Its only the Barn though isnt it? Its not even used !?

-------------

Date Posted: 30 April 2020 at 12:03pm

the players and staff  will need to be tested every week in training for several weeks  before they even play a match 

The NHS is maxed out if any player gets a serious injury in training or playing whose going to treat them?

The NHS isnt maxed out though. 46% beds empty, barely any if any of the field hospitals used. Yes if we get a second wave that may change dramtically but as we stand today (with an improving situation and assuming lockdown until the end of May), the capacity is there. 

-------------

Date Posted: 30 April 2020 at 12:04pm
No a lot of the Stadium is also used.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 April 2020 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by supertaf supertaf wrote:

Originally posted by thommo thommo wrote:

I agree. We cannot wait until that point before sport resumes, we may as well just give it up permanently. Being devils advocate, anyone on here happy not to see any live rugby for another 12 months, all things considered?

The harsh reality is that , it is  not a case of if we are happy or not, (no one is the fans,the players or the region)  it's the fact it  probably won't be safe for people to play a contact sport like rugby for that length of time

If a player plays gets infected and then god forbid dies or passes it onto a family member who dies what then?

I know some players would take the risk but some won't and they can't be blamed for that It's alsos highly unlikely insurers would give cover for that and the govt may not even allow it

I share  your sentiments and I would be willing to attend a live game but I don't think it's going to happen for the rest of this year

Date Posted: 30 April 2020 at 1:22pm
don't think we are going to have much of a choice. in all contact sports I just cant see how they can control/monitor players etc.
until there is a cure of vaccine with enough to go around everyone sport will have to wait.
the fear is the 2nd wave of corona appearing and the nhs not being able to handle it.

saying that, new Zealand may be back playing rugby in a few weeks. but that country and Australia shutdown everything when this virus came out.  we may all be wanting to watch rugby from there for a while just to save our sanity!

-------------

Posted By: Rob o'r Bont
Date Posted: 30 April 2020 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by supertaf supertaf wrote:

The NHS isnt maxed out though. 46% beds empty, barely any if any of the field hospitals used. Yes if we get a second wave that may change dramtically but as we stand today (with an improving situation and assuming lockdown until the end of May), the capacity is there. 
Problem will be the spare capacity will need to be kept for the huge backlog of non-COVID19 cases waiting to come back in to the hospitals.  We are still at the start of this pandemic and having built the hospitals, I can't see them being dismantled or put back to their original use until this virus has been well and truly beaten. 

-------------
That's the Scarlets, its in their DNA.

Date Posted: 30 April 2020 at 2:04pm

don't think we are going to have much of a choice. in all contact sports I just cant see how they can control/monitor players etc.
until there is a cure of vaccine with enough to go around everyone sport will have to wait.
the fear is the 2nd wave of corona appearing and the nhs not being able to handle it.

saying that, new Zealand may be back playing rugby in a few weeks. but that country and Australia shutdown everything when this virus came out.  we may all be wanting to watch rugby from there for a while just to save our sanity!

Again spot on fellaClap

Domestic  rugby behind closed doors seems to be the most logical step

That is what I think will happen first a sort of round robin between the regions

Then international games between the home nations

Then possible cross border games

Posted By: Rob Hunt
Date Posted: 30 April 2020 at 2:06pm
French Rugby Union have just abandoned the Top 14 for the season.

Date Posted: 30 April 2020 at 2:34pm
French sport is a no no until at least September. just hope BBC start putting some more old rugby matches on Saturdays for us to get some sort of fix for the game. Confused
cant really think of many sports that can go back to normal quite quickly. not even wendyball, as much as they want to. premier league would have to put all the footballers in quarantine for weeks and test all the time. they have money but would they have the resources to get all the tests etc and not take away from the nhs?

-------------

Posted By: Gate12
Date Posted: 30 April 2020 at 3:05pm

Most of the P-Y-S is actually being used, the lounges in the stadium, the barn, and apparently even some of the hospitality boxes.  It will take ages to clear and then it will have to be cleaned, professionally.

'Most' isn't accurate. The pitch, training pitch, gym, changing facilities in the main stadium, some lounges, hospitality and stands and majority of concourses haven't been used.

They'll have had enough foresight to ensure that the stadium can be used for dual purposes even if it's not what we're used to.

Date Posted: 30 April 2020 at 3:10pm

French sport is a no no until at least September. just hope BBC start putting some more old rugby matches on Saturdays for us to get some sort of fix for the game. Confused
cant really think of many sports that can go back to normal quite quickly. not even wendyball, as much as they want to. premier league would have to put all the footballers in quarantine for weeks and test all the time. they have money but would they have the resources to get all the tests etc and not take away from the nhs?

scarlets have put the 2002 1/4 final against bath on the youtube channel,what a weekend that was.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net