Forum Description: Team News, Season Tickets, Next Match
URL: http://www.scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=45840
Printed Date: 05 July 2020 at 12:22pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: John Barclay
Posted By: llanfam
Subject: John Barclay
Date Posted: 09 May 2020 at 6:17pm
I understand that he has been release from Edinburgh, so he may be a useful addition to our coaching team?
When we eventually resume!

Replies:
Posted By: PTScarlet
Date Posted: 13 May 2020 at 5:36pm
Love that idea 

-------------
One eyed turk, nothing more nothing less.

Posted By: Maple
Date Posted: 13 May 2020 at 7:21pm
That would be brilliant (bearing in mind his kids are now Welsh speakers).

-------------
Give Blood, Play Rugby

Posted By: ladram
Date Posted: 13 May 2020 at 8:00pm
wasn't this discussed on another thread a few weeks ago?

-------------
30th june 1986- 30th june 2011.25 years roofing,i wouldn't call that dodgy.

Posted By: stradeyscarlet72
Date Posted: 13 May 2020 at 8:27pm
It was indeed. I know that it’s all pie in the sky but John would be a great acquisition 

Posted By: Mrfwon
Date Posted: 13 May 2020 at 8:37pm
Absolutely, would love to see John back at Y Parc! ClapClapClap

-------------
Guinness Pro 12 Champions 2017...get in!

Posted By: swissscarlets
Date Posted: 13 May 2020 at 8:41pm
John would be great but I was led to believe that he wanted to return to Scotland to coach up there maybe I am wrong.

-------------
west is best.

Posted By: haydn_davies
Date Posted: 13 May 2020 at 9:16pm
Now that Ioan has been confirmed as leaving, it does open up the opportunity for John to come here.

Could be a great coach IMO.

-------------
Think, think, think - it's a thinking man's game!! - The Great Carwyn James.
Just for our SA friends - Weste is die beste!

Posted By: Legendinmybathroom
Date Posted: 13 May 2020 at 10:05pm
A player coach contract may clinch it.  I believe that JB feels that he has another season (possibly 2) in him as a player.

Posted By: trident
Date Posted: 13 May 2020 at 10:32pm
Isn’t Richard Kelly coming in?

Posted By: Maple
Date Posted: 14 May 2020 at 8:22am
I don't want be to stupid, but who's Richard Kelly?

-------------
Give Blood, Play Rugby

Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 14 May 2020 at 8:54am
Ex player for us, been coaching in the Premiership with Quins over the last few seasons. He's also been coaching our lineouts from time to time, and been involved with our LV teams.

His mind set and approach reminds me of Stephen Jones, a real student of the game.

Posted By: cymraes
Date Posted: 14 May 2020 at 9:10am
or Emyr Philips?

Posted By: haydn_davies
Date Posted: 14 May 2020 at 9:23am
Emyr has taken up a full-time role with our Academy as far as I know

-------------
Think, think, think - it's a thinking man's game!! - The Great Carwyn James.
Just for our SA friends - Weste is die beste!

Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 14 May 2020 at 9:32am
Originally posted by Maple Maple wrote:

Sadly an arm injury ended his career with us several years back . Good and competitive second row player but was probably a bit light Weight wise to be a big physical danger. Was certainly involved in coaching in the feeder club throughout his injury periods and was obviously well thought of. It might be him ? We shall soon find out. 

Dai Flan seems to be staying then . Hope Ioan has options. He has learned a lot from Pivac and Stevo and Brad etc so should be marketable. 

-------------
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook

Posted By: RR1972
Date Posted: 14 May 2020 at 9:45am
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Originally posted by Maple Maple wrote:

Sadly an arm injury ended his career with us several years back . Good and competitive second row player but was probably a bit light Weight wise to be a big physical danger. Was certainly involved in coaching in the feeder club throughout his injury periods and was obviously well thought of. It might be him ? We shall soon find out. 

Dai Flan seems to be staying then . Hope Ioan has options. He has learned a lot from Pivac and Stevo and Brad etc so should be marketable. 

Second row from jack land , sure he went to coach  the rfc ?

I think he has been involved with age groups with wales as well

Could be a  good shout

Posted By: thommo
Date Posted: 14 May 2020 at 9:58am
Great to see Mark Jones learning his trade with the crusaders. Going forward if all works out boycie will come back having gained enormous experience. The season in NZ is starting back soon, we could get a forwards coach from there?

Posted By: gorau
Date Posted: 14 May 2020 at 10:34am
Richard Kelly was with us as a player for a few seasons. Since then he's been coaching at the Quins I believe. Last year he was with the Wales Under 20s, maybe Richard and Ioan are swapping positions, Richard to us and Ioan to the Wales under 20s. Ioan os course has worked with Pivac so maybe Pivac wants him within the WRU set up in with the youths. 

Another option for forwards coach would be Chris Horseman. Maybe Chris Horseman as forwards coach and then John Barclay as defence coach, as Glenn is moving up to be head coach we have two vacancies within the coaching set up. 

Over the next few seasons I see the likes of Ken, Foxy, Shingler, Leigh, and possibly Marc Jones and Phil Price being mentored into coaching roles within the region. I think Ken will one day be a head coach, Foxy a backs coach, Shingler a line out coach, then the likes of Marc Jones and Phil Price to work with the academy. I can see Cawdor being an attack coach and Cubby a Skills Coach. I do hope some players move onto coaching within the region, as we have some excellent world class players who have come through the region, we should try and encourage to remain part of our region in some form.

-------------
eds

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net