Forum Description: Team News, Season Tickets, Next Match
URL: http://www.scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=45845
Printed Date: 10 August 2020 at 10:06pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Please sir I want some mooar.
Posted By: thommo
Subject: Please sir I want some mooar.
Date Posted: 15 May 2020 at 10:28am
Wonderful au revoir from Brad. In the short time he has been with us he has conveyed a calm and methodical ideology. What a wonderful opportunity we have been given by his appointment and the foundations have been set for a very exciting future. Best wishes in NZ please come back one day and continue what you have started. 👍

Replies:
Posted By: Sosban89
Date Posted: 15 May 2020 at 10:38am
Brad has always come across as a great bloke and I'm gutted we didn't get to see more of him here.

Posted By: EJPT
Date Posted: 15 May 2020 at 12:24pm
He really tried to engross himself into the Scarlets way. I’m sure when he’s done winning the next few rugby championships they’ll be opportunities to come back if he’s not the NZ head coach by then.

Posted By: GPR - Rochester
Date Posted: 15 May 2020 at 12:47pm
An excellent communicator for sure. How good a head coach I don't know. Only chance we ever see him again is if the AB's fail in the next couple of years. I still feel that Gatland post Lions 2021 will be breathing down the current management's neck. Wish him & his family the very best for their future. 

Posted By: ChrisX
Date Posted: 15 May 2020 at 12:54pm
Thanks for the memories Brad. Top Man, he got the Scarlets ethos, a great rugby brain and coach, you will be missed not just at Scarlets but in Wales. All the best for the future, good luck with the All Blacks and remember.. once a Scarlet always a Scarlet. Hope to see you back at the Parc one day. Diolch Brad. 

Over to you Glenn. 

Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 15 May 2020 at 1:01pm
A truly unfulfilled association with the Scarlets . Losing him so early to the AB’s and then losing him for more than half a season to this damn virus. Such a great shame but we can only move onwards and thank Brad for all he did for us and wish him well in NZ in his new job.

It Certainly looks like he will be back in the game back home a lot sooner than us up in the Northern hemisphere. 

-------------
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook

Posted By: gorau
Date Posted: 15 May 2020 at 1:07pm
He's been a breath of fresh air. He's funny, kind, positive, knowledgeable, passionate but also a family man with values. He's been great. I wish him all the best. No doubt he'll post some videos to us every now and again if we get into play offs etc. 

A Scarlets legend! 

Be great now to know who's coming in as we have 2 vacancies in the management team. 

-------------
eds

Posted By: Dic Penderyn
Date Posted: 15 May 2020 at 1:27pm
'Legend'-'A story sometimes regarded as true but not authenticated'-I'll go along with that.Dee-all-can-vow-er,Brad.

Posted By: RR1972
Date Posted: 15 May 2020 at 2:29pm
good coach, did a good job and seems a lovely guy ,I wish him well

However  he is not a legend in my eyes, he was only here for 19 games and less than 12 months

Posted By: Mr Ian
Date Posted: 15 May 2020 at 2:39pm
Really positive coach with a great energy, after Pivac last season all the gropu needed a new fresh air and I think in this view he did a super work.
At least he didnt a game plan revolution specially in attack and his time exiperd to soon, but surely he worked hard on mentality and approach to the games, even if the away game were this year our dark side of the season...Also he knows how show his public immagine and it was really difficoult dont apreciate him and his charm..How I said in other occasion if I should judge the single coach, I think Delaney did the best job this season, our special weapon was the defence, specially the blitz defence...

Date Posted: 15 May 2020 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

However  he is not a legend in my eyes, he was only here for 19 games and less than 12 months

From my personal experience I have no qualms in describing Brad as a legend of a guy. 

Posted By: Legendinmybathroom
Date Posted: 15 May 2020 at 4:34pm
I hope Glenn carries on from where Brad left off.  I hope he communicates well with the media and more importantly the fans.  You can tell that Brad came from a professional legal background because he always came across well, with every sentence and response well thought out and delivered impeccable.  Whether Glenn has that in his locker only time will tell.
I will certainly miss his regular tweets and videos from the top of Hendy, something no other coach does (to my knowledge), and his willingness to try to speak Welsh and immerse himself in the culture.
I want to wish him and his family all the best back in NZ and would welcomed him back if things didn’t go well with the All Blacks.
Now it’s over to Glenn, I can’t wait to see what he’s going to do with the players over this lockdown period/possible extended pre-season.  I believe our club is in safe hands, just need to confirm the coaching setup and new additions to the squad.

Posted By: stradeyscarlet72
Date Posted: 15 May 2020 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by Legendinmybathroom Legendinmybathroom wrote:

I hope Glenn carries on from where Brad left off.  I hope he communicates well with the media and more importantly the fans.  You can tell that Brad came from a professional legal background because he always came across well, with every sentence and response well thought out and delivered impeccable.  Whether Glenn has that in his locker only time will tell.
I will certainly miss his regular tweets and videos from the top of Hendy, something no other coach does (to my knowledge), and his willingness to try to speak Welsh and immerse himself in the culture.
I want to wish him and his family all the best back in NZ and would welcomed him back if things didn’t go well with the All Blacks.
Now it’s over to Glenn, I can’t wait to see what he’s going to do with the players over this lockdown period/possible extended pre-season.  I believe our club is in safe hands, just need to confirm the coaching setup and new additions to the squad.
Agreed, I believe that we are in a good position financially and coaching wise.  I’d like to see that our coaching staff and players are finalised ASAP - of course taking lockdown into account .
I’d like to think that brad has done some quality deals behind the scenes to enhance us all round. Wish him the very best 

Posted By: RR1972
Date Posted: 15 May 2020 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by thommo thommo wrote:

Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

From my personal experience I have no qualms in describing Brad as a legend of a guy. 

that's fine and I didn't say he wasn't

I don't know him , never met him but he seems a lovely fella and I'm glad you speak so highly of him

he isn't a scarlets legend in my eyes, that's all I meant

As far as I am concerned he simply hasn#'t been here long enough to warrant that title if others want to think and describe him as that , that's up to them .

Posted By: PritchyTheScarlet
Date Posted: 15 May 2020 at 11:10pm
He didn't need to go to the lengths he did to show that he was interested in the team's culture, history and people etc, but he did. Brilliant guy and wish him all the best with the All Blacks.

-------------
In the wake of what’s behind you let your rugby dreams remind you that your future starts tomorrow and your best is yet to come.

Posted By: Rob Hunt
Date Posted: 15 May 2020 at 11:20pm
Originally posted by Dic Penderyn Dic Penderyn wrote:

'Legend'-'A story sometimes regarded as true but not authenticated'-I'll go along with that.Dee-all-can-vow-er,Brad.
I would think that Brad has spent more time in Wales and has certainly made a greater effort to involve himself with the Welsh language and culture than the Greek/ German/Scot who is allegedly the Prince of Wales.

Date Posted: 15 May 2020 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by Rob Hunt Rob Hunt wrote:

I would think that Brad has spent more time in Wales and has certainly made a greater effort to involve himself with the Welsh language and culture than the Greek/ German/Scot who is allegedly the Prince of Wales.

I've heard it all now..'Step aside ,Charles the Pretender,and relinquish thy Principality!Brad of the Sweet Tongue lays claim to that which is rightly his'

Posted By: henry_winkler
Date Posted: 15 May 2020 at 11:36pm
The moniker "legend" gets banded about way to easily.

We're talking about a guy who committed to us and then reneged on his deal. 
Unfortunately
due to unforeseen circumstances went on to only coach for half a season and with mixed results at that. 

Instead of pushing players like Corey Baldwin on, he didn't pick or picked him out of position and he ends up leaving us.

To add to the legend debate, people on here look down their noses at the likes of Mark Jones who was Scarlet through and through, got a very mediocre team in to the play offs and brought a lot of players through, nobody rushing to call him a legend.

Mooar seems like a nice guy and I wish him well but I can't class him as a Scarlets legend.

Date Posted: 15 May 2020 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by henry_winkler henry_winkler wrote:

Unfortunately
due to unforeseen circumstances went on to only coach for half a season and with mixed results at that. 

Instead of pushing players like Corey Baldwin on, he didn't pick or picked him out of position and he ends up leaving us.

To add to the legend debate, people on here look down their noses at the likes of Mark Jones who was Scarlet through and through, got a very mediocre team in to the play offs and brought a lot of players through, nobody rushing to call him a legend.

Mooar seems like a nice guy and I wish him well but I can't class him as a Scarlets legend.

We wish him well but as you rather bluntly  say,essentially he  repudiated his contract for an obviously better deal FOR HIM which is understandable FOR HIM but doesn’t help the Scarlets ( US) at all . Good luck to a charming, entertaining and talented short term coach of undoubted talent who is understandably looking after his career, but we don’t need to get too wrapped up in the wailing ,sentiment and machinations of his parting -good luck to Brad ( many don’t blame his decision to leave so soon after joining us  ) and we move on .... the Kiwi King is dead and long live King Richard 😉Onwards and upwards! The Scarlets is more than just one coach.He is not a legend.

-------------
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook

Posted By: ladram
Date Posted: 16 May 2020 at 6:21am

Wow! the criteria for being a scarlets legend have certainly dropped.

-------------
30th june 1986- 30th june 2011.25 years roofing,i wouldn't call that dodgy.

Date Posted: 16 May 2020 at 7:23am
Talk of him being a legend is embarrassing for me and dare I say it for Brad himself. Benny, Grav, Delme and Gareth Jenkins - now they are legends. Lets never forget that.

Date Posted: 16 May 2020 at 10:00am

Unfortunately

I've already said about the word legend being bandied about,both yourself and dic penderyn especially are quite critical of moar because he didn't pick baldwin at centre so would that make rob baxter a bad coach if he doesn't pick the as yet not fully proven corey baldwin at centre?and given the fact that everyone knew before xmas that brad was off if baldwin was that special would it not have been better to stay and prove moar wrong in not picking him at centre?i would suggest that barring injuries at Exeter corey will spend a lot more time training than playing.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 May 2020 at 10:12am
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Unfortunately

I've already said about the word legend being bandied about,both yourself and dic penderyn especially are quite critical of moar because he didn't pick baldwin at centre so would that make rob baxter a bad coach if he doesn't pick the as yet not fully proven corey baldwin at centre?and given the fact that everyone knew before xmas that brad was off if baldwin was that special would it not have been better to stay and prove moar wrong in not picking him at centre?i would suggest that barring injuries at Exeter corey will spend a lot more time training than playing.

You have to put the decision not to play Corey at 13 into context though Nige. If Foxy or indeed Fonotia had played most games then I, certainly, would have had no complaints. But that is not the case so the decision was a little baffling for some of us supporters.

As for the Exeter move I have already stated that initially it was down to the size of the offer on the table. Corey will have a tough time getting into the Exeter 1st team & certainly I would expect Slade to be chosen ahead of him. However if the Scarlets had offered Corey what he was offered by Exeter ( which they did eventually) perhaps he would have stayed. From Corey's point however the move should be viewed as exciting - he is part of a top squad, challenging on two fronts, excellent coaching & he is also dual qualified. Now it is up to him. For me he is the best centre prospect to come through our academy ranks since Foxy & Scott which explains my sadness at seeing him go. 

Thats life so now I will keep a good eye on young Osian & Joe Roberts who have a lot of good qualities. Nothing would give me more satisfaction than to see Osian at 12 & Corey at 13 for Wales at France 2023.

Date Posted: 16 May 2020 at 10:21am
Re Corey - correct me if I’m incorrect but allegedly Corey agreed terms with Exeter before coming back to the scarlets ? 
Real shame that he’s gone - nows the time to bring in strength and quality

Date Posted: 17 May 2020 at 7:27am
Originally posted by stradeyscarlet72 stradeyscarlet72 wrote:

Re Corey - correct me if I’m incorrect but allegedly Corey agreed terms with Exeter before coming back to the scarlets ? 

I cannot comment accurately on a timeline but I can say with some accuracy that he was offered an initial contract by the Scarlets which was lower than the one that was offered by Exeter. 

Posted By: crj89
Date Posted: 17 May 2020 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

I cannot comment accurately on a timeline but I can say with some accuracy that he was offered an initial contract by the Scarlets which was lower than the one that was offered by Exeter. 

The scenario with Baldwin is just like any other player then, offered a renewal, offered more elsewhere then we decided to match it, don’t see anything wrong with what has happened in dealing with Baldwin if the timeline is correct, Baldwin decided to go to Exeter, only time will tell if that is a good choice or not.

Date Posted: 17 May 2020 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by crj89 crj89 wrote:

The scenario with Baldwin is just like any other player then, offered a renewal, offered more elsewhere then we decided to match it, don’t see anything wrong with what has happened in dealing with Baldwin if the timeline is correct, Baldwin decided to go to Exeter, only time will tell if that is a good choice or not.

Don't think we are suggesting there is anything unusual or wrong in the process. Certainly Dic & I have expressed our reservations throughout the season regarding Corey's treatment as far as selection is concerned. Whether that selection experience had anything to do with his final decision only he could advise. I think many would agree on one thing - disappointment on seeing an excellent prospect leave. 

Date Posted: 17 May 2020 at 1:13pm

Don't think we are suggesting there is anything unusual or wrong in the process. Certainly Dic & I have expressed our reservations throughout the season regarding Corey's treatment as far as selection is concerned. Whether that selection experience had anything to do with his final decision only he could advise. I think many would agree on one thing - disappointment on seeing an excellent prospect leave. 

I think we need now to look at what we will have when rugby resumes.Given that Delaney has echoed(publicly at least)Mooar's high opinion of Steff Hughes,our first choice pairing in mid-field will be Steff and Jon Davies.We've also signed,according to rumour,two centres who have been plagued with injury/ill-health.Nicholas looks to be out in the cold,and Knott may have an opportunity and may take it well.Lots of imponderables,not a lot of confidence.

Date Posted: 17 May 2020 at 2:03pm
I haven't been a huge fan of Nicholas but I think he could do a job at 13 , needs to do something about his hair though.

Date Posted: 17 May 2020 at 2:14pm

they better make sure the ink's dry on the contract before they play him on the wing.Wink

-------------

Posted By: scarletnut
Date Posted: 17 May 2020 at 2:41pm

How has Corey been treated badly? He’s had a lot of rugby this season. The coaches know a lot more than us and it’s not unusual for centres to start on the wing. Realistically he’ll probably play less for Exeter.

-------------
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1

Posted By: EJPT
Date Posted: 17 May 2020 at 2:48pm
Corey had plenty of opportunities and he took them. Earned a contract with the best team in England and favourites for the premiership title. Exeter aren’t shy if talent he’ll have to work hard and play well to be considered regularly for them. In no way is playing a player out of position treating someone badly when and if they are the best player in that position. The team comes before the individual. 

Date Posted: 17 May 2020 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

How has Corey been treated badly? He’s had a lot of rugby this season. The coaches know a lot more than us and it’s not unusual for centres to start on the wing. Realistically he’ll probably play less for Exeter.

Mooar never picked Hughes on the wing,presumably because he cannot run quickly.He did pick him at 13,though,ahead of Baldwin and anyone else.At the same time he was a  guest on Scrum V,where I heard him say about Tompkins "he has the pace required to play at 13".I think it fair to conclude,that even if he does"know a lot more than us",then he's a little bit of a hypocrite.

Date Posted: 17 May 2020 at 3:30pm
The facts are, at some points in the season Parkes, Foxy and Fonotia were missing from the team and Baldwin still didn't get a shot at 13. I wouldn't have been happy in his position, unhappy enough to leave? Maybe.

Date Posted: 17 May 2020 at 3:34pm

The facts are, at some points in the season Parkes, Foxy and Fonotia were missing from the team and Baldwin still didn't get a shot at 13. I wouldn't have been happy in his position, unhappy enough to leave? Maybe.
jeez boys you could swear we'd lost dan carter not a promising youngster.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 May 2020 at 3:53pm
Yes as my comment. If it’s true that he was offered a deal by us after Exeter’s but decided to take Exeter’s , then there’s nothing we could do.  Personally if he’s done that , then it’s poor on his part . If he wanted to go then best of luck . It appears that the board couldn’t have done more . 
If What I’m saying isn’t accurate then feel free to advise as to what’s the correct version .

Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 17 May 2020 at 4:34pm

Posted By: John
Date Posted: 17 May 2020 at 5:06pm
In 20 years time, on this forum, a quiz question of "list as many Scarlet head coaches as you can" and Brad will be one of the least remembered. Sad but likely to be true. Behind Nigel, Easterby and hopefully Delaney. 

Date Posted: 17 May 2020 at 5:22pm
[QUOTE=John]In 20 years time, on this forum, a quiz question of "list as many Scarlet head coaches as you can" and Brad will be one of the least remembered. Sad but likely to be true. Behind Nigel, Easterby and hopefully Delaney. 
[/QUOTE
Pointless 🙄

Date Posted: 17 May 2020 at 7:34pm

This topic did go off on a tangent a bit 😂

The Baldwin issue was amongst a few reasons why I don't see Brad as a Scarlets legend. No more than that, I'm sure we'll manage fine without Baldwin

Date Posted: 18 May 2020 at 7:29am

This topic did go off on a tangent a bit 😂

The Baldwin issue was amongst a few reasons why I don't see Brad as a Scarlets legend. No more than that, I'm sure we'll manage fine without Baldwin

Of course we will survive without Corey. For goodness sake bois bach this is not meant to be an Old Bailey event. Dic & I, in the main, have commented about what we saw as odd selection decisions some of which were regarding Corey. Dic's comments regarding Brad saying that Tompkins had the pace to play 13 also bring into question the selection of Steff Hughes at 13. Now Steff is a fine, intelligent player but quick he ain't. Lets face it does anyone disagree that Corey is one of the best centres to come out of our academy since Foxy & Scott? If you agree then it is surely pretty understandable that some of us are unhappy to lose him. 

Posted By: lofty evans
Date Posted: 19 May 2020 at 9:12am
In his short tenure, he smiled and smiled and talked with a dignity and enthusiasm which was infectious.  Everytime he spoke " live" on TV he would say the right words to every situation and came across as a real decent human being and a damn good egg, even someone as athletically ungifted and useless as me, would have loved to have played for him. Some try to create charisma,  but some ooze the stuff and he had it by the bucketful. He was engaging and a delight to listen too. His status as a Scarlet coach will always have that " what if " and that's a shame, but when we've had so many debates on here for Club or Country and which is far the most important etc,etc,etc. no person would turn down the opportunity of an All Black role, so good luck to them and a sincere good luck to a guy who brought the Rubettes caps back into fashion. Bottom line he made the trek with his family to the best part of Wales and for that and whatever he brought, that is known and the unknown work/stuff he did, thankyou Sir for representing New Zealand in the best possible light and thanks for shining at a time the Scarlets needed some new direction and a dose of enthusiasm and ownership of the best club side in the UK.

-------------
In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Date Posted: 19 May 2020 at 9:17am
Originally posted by lofty evans lofty evans wrote:

In his short tenure, he smiled and smiled and talked with a dignity and enthusiasm which was infectious.  Everytime he spoke " live" on TV he would say the right words to every situation and came across as a real decent human being and a damn good egg, even someone as athletically ungifted and useless as me, would have loved to have played for him. Some try to create charisma,  but some ooze the stuff and he had it by the bucketful. He was engaging and a delight to listen too. His status as a Scarlet coach will always have that " what if " and that's a shame, but when we've had so many debates on here for Club or Country and which is far the most important etc,etc,etc. no person would turn down the opportunity of an All Black role, so good luck to them and a sincere good luck to a guy who brought the Rubettes caps back into fashion. Bottom line he made the trek with his family to the best part of Wales and for that and whatever he brought, that is known and the unknown work/stuff he did, thankyou Sir for representing New Zealand in the best possible light and thanks for shining at a time the Scarlets needed some new direction and a dose of enthusiasm and ownership of the best club side in the UK.

Hear hear Lofty!!!!

Posted By: surfing-mtber
Date Posted: 19 May 2020 at 9:23am

Great post Lofty. Thumbs Up

-------------
Joshua24:15

Date Posted: 19 May 2020 at 10:16am

An excellent positive reflective snap shot of the Brad Mooar stay and his time with us in Llanelli. Well said Lofty 👍 

-------------

Posted By: Eastern outpost
Date Posted: 19 May 2020 at 1:11pm
Like a bright glorious sunny day - the effect of a Lofty post

-------------
Any offence taken on board is only a literate/cy consequence. Every attempt at humour is just that. No personal insult intended. Standards lowered for trolls.

Posted By: Huwbach
Date Posted: 19 May 2020 at 9:02pm
I’ll call him a legend in his own right not necessarily a Scarlet legend. The man was inspirational and full of character like no coach I’d seen. On the Pro 14 post match analysis slots with the coaches the pundits were like kids buzzing with excitement around him. 

Posted By: Legendinmybathroom
Date Posted: 30 May 2020 at 2:23pm
There is a nice piece on the BBC website, with an emotional farewell message from Brad, who leaves the UK today, alone with Hadley.
Diolch yn fawr to both.

Posted By: Superscarlet
Date Posted: 30 May 2020 at 7:34pm
Nice fella, but in Scarlets terms no legend. Wish him well though

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net