Forum Description: Team News, Season Tickets, Next Match
URL: http://www.scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=45965
Printed Date: 28 October 2020 at 10:32pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: First ever game.
Posted By: LLANDRE
Subject: First ever game.
Date Posted: 13 September 2020 at 9:59am
What was the first Scarlets/ Llanelli game that you attended?. My first ever game was away in South Wales Police in 1983. It was a cup game..Grav was  still playing. Phil Davies was playing for South Wales Police , so too was  Nigel Whitehouse . We won the game convincingly  , I forget the exact score.  I don't remember exactly  my first match at  Stradey, but two big  cup games stand out..One was against Ponryppol   the other was a defeat to Aberavon. 11.10 , I believe with Ray Giles scoring a try  for the Wizards at the town end. 

-------------
West is Best (Fin gwybod)

Replies:
Posted By: Hendre
Date Posted: 13 September 2020 at 10:15am
Llanelli v Australia 1975

-------------
You were born to win, but to be a winner, you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.
Zig Ziglar

Posted By: stradeyscarlet72
Date Posted: 13 September 2020 at 11:15am
Sept 1968 - can’t remember the opposition but the aura of stradey was apparent immediately to me.  The furore of Barry John going to Cardiff was still angering everyone there. 
Benny was the superstar till he finished in April 1981.  What a player 

Posted By: EJPT
Date Posted: 13 September 2020 at 4:59pm
Scarlets vs Border Reivers the now defunct 3rd scottish side 2005/6 season we put 50+ points on them i think 

Posted By: scarletnut
Date Posted: 13 September 2020 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

Scarlets vs Border Reivers the now defunct 3rd scottish side 2005/6 season we put 50+ points on them i think 
Back in the days when we had Gareth Bowen at 10, Havili on the wing and Clive-Stuart Smith at scrum-half.

-------------
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1

Posted By: ScarletBear
Date Posted: 13 September 2020 at 5:32pm
Absolutely no idea. I was too young to recollect. It would have been around 73/74 or 74/75 season I expect. My first recollection of watching Llanelli play though was not at Stradey but one of many cup finals I attended, in 1976 when we beat the jacks. 

-------------
Scarlets before Wales

Date Posted: 13 September 2020 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

Absolutely no idea. I was too young to recollect. It would have been around 73/74 or 74/75 season I expect. My first recollection of watching Llanelli play though was not at Stradey but one of many cup finals I attended, in 1976 when we beat the jacks. 

Living overseas and nearly every time only coming back every few years in the summer with the family, I rarely get to see them play live now. My last game attended was Shove's debut against the Kings. Confused

-------------
Scarlets before Wales

Posted By: EJPT
Date Posted: 14 September 2020 at 12:47am
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

Back in the days when we had Gareth Bowen at 10, Havili on the wing and Clive-Stuart Smith at scrum-half.
Heartbroken when Stephen Jones went to Clermont, but cometh the hour cometh the Mike Hercus. 

Posted By: Ainremixed
Date Posted: 14 September 2020 at 1:54am
My father took me to Stradey a couple of times in the late 50s. I don't remember the games, but Terry Davies and R.H.William were playing, both British Lions. It must have been a wrench for my father, because he watched from the Tanner Bank from the late 1930s to 1990, in between sessions in the Ranch (70s and 80s anyway)

Posted By: Ainremixed
Date Posted: 14 September 2020 at 1:57am
Sorry, R H Williams

Posted By: supertaf
Date Posted: 14 September 2020 at 9:45am
Originally posted by LLANDRE LLANDRE wrote:

What was the first Scarlets/ Llanelli game that you attended?. My first ever game was away in South Wales Police in 1983. It was a cup game..Grav was  still playing. Phil Davies was playing for South Wales Police , so too was  Nigel Whitehouse . We won the game convincingly  , I forget the exact score.  I don't remember exactly  my first match at  Stradey, but two big  cup games stand out..One was against Ponryppol   the other was a defeat to Aberavon. 11.10 , I believe with Ray Giles scoring a try  for the Wizards at the town end. 
I remember that game, always an interesting visit to Waterton Cross        

-------------
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872

Posted By: supertaf
Date Posted: 14 September 2020 at 9:47am
Originally posted by Hendre Hendre wrote:

Llanelli v Australia 1975
I remember seeing the game but I cant remember if it was my first. Around there somewhere as we had only just moved back from Southampton.

-------------
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872

Posted By: lofty evans
Date Posted: 14 September 2020 at 12:48pm
Scarlets v NZ 1972....that game was my 1st.

-------------
In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Posted By: 157cb
Date Posted: 14 September 2020 at 2:00pm

1968/69 season I think ?

Posted By: Pentigili
Date Posted: 14 September 2020 at 3:09pm
Llanelli v Tonga 1974! Although I went to the final against Cardiff in 1973.

Posted By: Dai38
Date Posted: 14 September 2020 at 3:33pm
Early 60's no idea what match it was, I had a season ticket from around when I was 9 or 10, in  1963 or 64, but by then I was a regular.

I remember seeing Terry Davies play, and Ray Williams but that's about it. As I've previously said the first big game was New Zealand 1963, and I would have been 8.

My first international was a triple crown match v Ireland in 1965, no subs and Dick Uzzell left the field for 20 minutes, so Terry Price moved to centre and Alun Pask the No 8 to full back. I remember the Irish Try, and Terry's drop goal from around the 10 yard line in wet muddy conditions, memories just can't be bought in Tesco. 

-------------
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!

Posted By: llanfam
Date Posted: 14 September 2020 at 4:26pm
I remember sitting on the wall for a midweek game in 1963 and a nannouncement came over , that President Kennedy was assassinated.
I remember my Father talking to someone, say he was a good man!

Posted By: Dai38
Date Posted: 15 September 2020 at 9:36am
llanfam, the match was against Waterloo, as I was in the stand, and they announced it on the tannoy, I was in the stand sitting next to my brother and asked him what assassinated meant. 

-------------
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!

Posted By: scarletabroad
Date Posted: 15 September 2020 at 12:04pm
27 Apr 1985, National Stadium Llanelli 15-14 Cardiff

Went up on the train with a group of boys from the Dock a year or two older than me from Penyfon St and Florence St my dad gave me £10 and 4 cans of Foel with the calming words "dont embrass yourself or me!!" Great day out on the terrace an amazing day stood in the parcel carriage pulling out of Llanelli everyone singin, talking about the game etc absolute bliss

Date Posted: 15 September 2020 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by Dai38 Dai38 wrote:

llanfam, the match was against Waterloo, as I was in the stand, and they announced it on the tannoy, I was in the stand sitting next to my brother and asked him what assassinated meant. 

Waterloo, Richmond, Orrel, Bedford, Moseley, Blackheath, Fylde, Rosslyn Park, Otley, Preston Grasshoppers, Coventry - old top English clubs of another era. Aah the memories. Remember watching these teams down Stradey and also on Rugby Special commentated by Nigel Starmer-Smith (a man who has had more than his fair share of personal heart ache - lost 2 of his 3 kids). Do you remember the theme music?

-------------
Scarlets before Wales

Date Posted: 15 September 2020 at 6:16pm

Originally posted by Dai38 Dai38 wrote:

Waterloo, Richmond, Orrel, Bedford, Moseley, Blackheath, Fylde, Rosslyn Park, Otley, Preston Grasshoppers, Coventry - old top English clubs of another era. Aah the memories. Remember watching these teams down Stradey and also on Rugby Special commentated by Nigel Starmer-Smith (a man who has had more than his fair share of personal heart ache - lost 2 of his 3 kids). Do you remember the theme music?

The theme tune
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1x7nrZgoSU" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1x7nrZgoSU

-------------
Scarlets before Wales

Posted By: stradeyscarlet72
Date Posted: 15 September 2020 at 6:34pm

[QUOTE=Dai38]llanfam, the match was against Waterloo, as I was in the stand, and they announced it on the tannoy, I was in the stand sitting next to my brother and asked him what assassinated meant. 

Rugby special. Now you’re talking.  I’ve searched YouTube for Scarlet matches but unsuccessful.  The history with English teams was wonderful- top class matches and huge rivalries.  
Starmer-Smith did the Maori game of 82 and it was a blinder.  He did many more but for me that was special. 

Posted By: aber-fan
Date Posted: 15 September 2020 at 6:53pm
I'm not sure of the year - I'd say 1959 or 1960 - but it was at Stradey v Aberavon, who won by something like 9-3 or 9-6.

I think one of our 'experts' posted a link not that long ago, to a site giving full results for the team, and I was able to trace the game from that - maybe (whoever) could help us out again, if we want to be more precise!

I remember the Wizards' centre Dai Thomas had a stormer (probably scored at least one try), and am pretty sure he had a cap or two for Wales. Can't be sure who was playing for the Scarlets that day, but definitely saw Onllwyn Brace (who had a few caps at scrum half) on one of my earliest visits.

-------------
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)

Posted By: diego6754
Date Posted: 15 September 2020 at 7:45pm
Llanelli Vs Neath 1988 Schweppes Cup Final. Stuffed them.

Date Posted: 16 September 2020 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by diego6754 diego6754 wrote:

Llanelli Vs Neath 1988 Schweppes Cup Final. Stuffed them.

We did. Jonathon Davies getting threats before the game from the Welsh All Blacks - dicks.

They played us (in Stradey I think) the week before and tonked us - 50+ points. But it was our 2nd team. Oh how confident they (and my mate from Cimla) were for the final. LOL 

-------------
Scarlets before Wales

Posted By: spirit of 72
Date Posted: 19 September 2020 at 4:47pm
Newport at Stradey. 6-6. Believe it or not, that was regarded as a good result.

-------------
Fairplay

Posted By: spirit of 72
Date Posted: 19 September 2020 at 4:48pm
Should have added that the  Newport game was in 1966.

-------------
Fairplay

Posted By: Dinga
Date Posted: 22 September 2020 at 6:59am
October 1973. West Wales v Japan. 

-------------
Some people are born stupid. Some need to practice

Posted By: Gastric Band
Date Posted: 22 September 2020 at 2:39pm
Not sure when, I think it was when I was six, so it would be about 1958. Yep, I know it was a long time ago!
My aunties would come back from Hull where they lived (there was no mention of the fact that they were two unmarried ladies living together) and they would take me to Stradey when they came down. They would go on about Terry Davies, so on the way to Stradey there was a big buildup about how well he would play.
When we got there found that Terry was injured. In my mind I'm not sure I ever saw Terry Davies play, always withdrew from the game.

-------------
Gastric

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net