17. Phil Price  17.  Aki Seiuli 
18. Javan Sebastian  18.  D’arcy Rae 
19. Lewis Rawlins  19.  Richie Gray 
20. James Davies  20.  Chris Fusaro 
21. Kieran Hardy  21.  George Horne 
22. Rhys Patchell  22.  Pete Horne 
23. Steff Hughes 23.  Niko Matawalu 

Unavailable because of injury

Liam Williams (foot), Rob Evans (neck), Johnny McNicholl (ankle), Josh Helps (ribs), Daf Hughes (knee), Alex Jeffries (elbow), Tomi Lewis (knee), Steff Thomas (knee), Aaron Shingler.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPLe3ApXjW4&list=PL576FE48C1F044909&index=1" rel="nofollow - Scarlets Tries of the Season 2009 - 2019

Replies:
Posted By: Fscarlet
Date Posted: 09 October 2020 at 12:02pm
Bit disheartened to see Dinky at 10 & no Cassiem on the bench but otherwise it's as I would have expected.

Posted By: Dai Guevara
Date Posted: 09 October 2020 at 12:05pm
Still no Cassiem, and starting Dan Jones on a fast artificial surface is not ideal.

Posted By: EJPT
Date Posted: 09 October 2020 at 12:06pm
No Tyler Morgan or Cassiem. I wonder who the player ruled out with the virus was. 

Delaney has gone with continuity lets see if it pays off 

Posted By: Realwest
Date Posted: 09 October 2020 at 12:12pm
Really want to see cass at 6 and kala at 8 those 2 together would be destructive and take some stopping 

Posted By: Legendinmybathroom
Date Posted: 09 October 2020 at 12:14pm
Surely they would have learned the lessons from last weekend about not loading the bench with big forwards who can cover the back 5, like tex, cassiem and Kennedy.
My only hope is that this is just a matter of not selecting them now and using them when the international players are away with their respective countries, otherwise I’m a bit baffled by their non selection.
For years we’ve been going on about our lack of big ball carriers, now we have them, we don’t pick them.
Apart from that, I’m happy with the selections and I’m really looking forward to seeing how Foxy and Johnny Williams perform in the midfield.

Posted By: GPR - Rochester
Date Posted: 09 October 2020 at 12:15pm
Don't know what Tyler has to do to get a game. Surely being able to cover wing & centre he would have got the nod for the bench. Glad to see Ryan starting & keeping the faith in Tom Rogers. Fast track & Ok weather forecast so lets see a positive gameplan please. 

Date Posted: 09 October 2020 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Don't know what Tyler has to do to get a game. Surely being able to cover wing & centre he would have got the nod for the bench. Glad to see Ryan starting & keeping the faith in Tom Rogers. Fast track & Ok weather forecast so lets see a positive gameplan please. 

Couple of tries would be nice!!

Posted By: Maple
Date Posted: 09 October 2020 at 12:17pm
Oh no....Dan Jones

-------------
Give Blood, Play Rugby

Date Posted: 09 October 2020 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Couple of tries would be nice!!

Too true - 4 would be great!!!!!

Posted By: supertaf
Date Posted: 09 October 2020 at 12:21pm
Cubby instead of Cassiem is a mistake IMHO. Happy with Blade at 6 though, very powerful against Munster I thought.

-------------
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872

Posted By: townboy
Date Posted: 09 October 2020 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by Maple Maple wrote:

Oh no....Dan Jones
Jesus..Dan seems to be the Priestland for taking all the stick..Really hard to see how it’s been his fault for losing the last 2

Date Posted: 09 October 2020 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by supertaf supertaf wrote:

Cubby instead of Cassiem is a mistake IMHO. Happy with Blade at 6 though, very powerful against Munster I thought.

Totally agree with both points there. I was a critic of Blade before last weeks game, saying I didn't see him much during games in the way we were used to seeing Aaron but he stood out very well last week!

Date Posted: 09 October 2020 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by townboy townboy wrote:

Oh no....Dan Jones
Jesus..Dan seems to be the Priestland for taking all the stick..Really hard to see how it’s been his fault for losing the last 2

I think it's more the fact he doesn't get the back line purring in the same way that Patch or AOB does.

Posted By: Why
Date Posted: 09 October 2020 at 12:40pm
Would have preferred Patch or Costello to start at ten, Dan does little wrong and won’t let us down just a bit too conservative for me whilst we have two good running tens in squad. 

-------------
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.

Date Posted: 09 October 2020 at 12:41pm
Haha has anyone seen Tyson Fury congratulating his fellow Gypsy traveller on reaching 150 caps for us?

Posted By: minded
Date Posted: 09 October 2020 at 12:42pm

Haha has anyone seen Tyson Fury congratulating his fellow Gypsy traveller on reaching 150 caps for us?
https://twitter.com/scarlets_rugby/status/1314527724095057920" rel="nofollow - https://twitter.com/scarlets_rugby/status/1314527724095057920

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPLe3ApXjW4&list=PL576FE48C1F044909&index=1" rel="nofollow - Scarlets Tries of the Season 2009 - 2019

Posted By: Legendinmybathroom
Date Posted: 09 October 2020 at 1:11pm
Brilliant, I never knew that we were a country in our own right.  Saying that, we might as well rename the Welsh team the Scarlets, with the amount scarlets players they have.

Posted By: Huwbach
Date Posted: 09 October 2020 at 1:15pm
Some nonsense on here recently mind. Ken finished as a player? Seriously. And Dan taking all the blame for last weekends loss. The only valid comment is in relation to Cassiem being missing hoping it is a strategic rest for him rather than some sort of naughty step. He was player of the year for me last year. 

Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 09 October 2020 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by Huwbach Huwbach wrote:

Some nonsense on here recently mind. Ken finished as a player? Seriously. And Dan taking all the blame for last weekends loss. The only valid comment is in relation to Cassiem being missing hoping it is a strategic rest for him rather than some sort of naughty step. He was player of the year for me last year. 
👍👍👍

-------------
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook

Posted By: Mr Ian
Date Posted: 09 October 2020 at 2:15pm
Hope to resolve with JW our recent attacking troubles..the selection is not absolutely bad, I dont think with Cassiem in and Thomson out could be so deeply different, rather Blade is one more option in line out..
We could talk about the bench players, but the objective is to have more fit players for the autumn week, there is a logic that you cant  be disagree.
Everyone here want the result week after week, but the team now is a work in progress, maybe much more than we though...come on Scarlets

Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 09 October 2020 at 2:58pm

Oh no....Dan Jones

I think it's more the fact he doesn't get the back line purring in the same way that Patch or AOB does.

Then let that be the post and the debate.

Comments like that about any player are worthless bilge tbh.

Date Posted: 09 October 2020 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Oh no....Dan Jones

Comments like what?

Date Posted: 09 October 2020 at 3:40pm

Oh no....Dan Jones

Comments like what?

I think Wil is referring to the poster who questions Dan's selection. Criticising a player's performance is one thing but overly negative comments which seem individual based are not worthy of comment. Every professional player has their faults and strengths even Radrada. Dan is a valuable member of our squad and should be shown the respect he deserves.

Would I have selected him to start for Sunday probably not - I would have been tempted to start Rhys with Dan on the bench but that is purely a personal choice. 

Date Posted: 09 October 2020 at 4:11pm

Oh no....Dan Jones

Comments like what?<span style="white-space:pre">     </span>

Apologies I thought it was obvious. My bad.

Debate the merits of selection no issue. I don’t see the point of a statement like Oh no Dan Jones.

Also I thought Patchell looked like a guy who needed a few more 20-30 minutes off the bench before commanding a back line In a big game like this. Although I would have put him in, I do think It would have been a significant gamble. One I can understand why the coaching staff declined on.

Posted By: N14
Date Posted: 09 October 2020 at 4:11pm
Dan is a good player. But we should be selecting Patchell if we want to get our backs moving.
As for Cassiem’s continued exclusion from the 23...I really am lost for words.

Posted By: saundersfootscarlets
Date Posted: 09 October 2020 at 5:40pm

Oh no....Dan Jones

Comments like what?<span style="white-space:pre">     </span>

Apologies I thought it was obvious. My bad.

Debate the merits of selection no issue. I don’t see the point of a statement like Oh no Dan Jones.

Also I thought Patchell looked like a guy who needed a few more 20-30 minutes off the bench before commanding a back line In a big game like this. Although I would have put him in, I do think It would have been a significant gamble. One I can understand why the coaching staff declined on.

We all have our opinions but as someone has already said Dan seems to be getting most of the blame,  I thought he controlled the game well last week in difficult conditions and we really lost our way AFTER he had gone off.
He has done well for us in big games before and people seem to forget that.
Until Rhys is playing more regularly I would prefer us to start with Dan and then maybe bring one of the other 10's on as the game goes on if needed , not that this tactic worked last week though.
I also think Steff Hughes seems to get some unwarranted stick at times but that's just my opinion.
Anyway lets hope we can play for the whole game tomorrow although it will be a tough game away to a good Glasgow side but les get behind the team.

-------------
saundersfoot scarlets

Posted By: Raised By Peregos
Date Posted: 09 October 2020 at 5:47pm
I posted a what I considered to be a fair and balanced post about Dan Jones the other week. I'm a bit disappointed with the fact there is a flat track that we are not playing AoB. Apart from that backline picks itself, apart from I'd have Tyler Morgan on the bench. 

I'm a little worried about the tactic of picking almost identical teams for three weeks in a row and then suddenly switching to completely different team when the internationals leave. I'm also very disappointed about Cassiem's lack of involvement. He's disappointed on twitter too, you can tell. He's not injured, he doesn't need a rest, and he's exactly the kind of back row player who will like the artificial pitch whereas Kalamafoni was brought in for the wetter days. 

I rate Blade at six, and obviously MacLeod at seven, but I'd like to see more rotation at eight depending on the game. I understand SK for Munster and Toulon, but now Glasgow away? Benchwise, Rawlins is always a good club player, but he's not as good as Cassiem. And didn't Blade cover second row a few times when he first started with us? I agree with a previous poster that I'd put in Cassiem over Cubby on the bench. The argument that Cubby needs minutes... Cassiem needs minutes too, or that Cubby changes the way we play... well why put Steff Hughes on the bench and not Asquith or Morgan or Conbeer then? If the idea is to have a player to change the style? 

I've been impressed with Kalamafoni's workrate and defence but I don't find him a particularly great carrier, or rather better carrier... he doesn't seem to make any more yards than Cassiem considering his extra bulk. 

Looping back quickly, I understand Dan is our OH with the most experience, but I genuinely don't think we'll see expansive, running rugby a la title-winning season with him, and we have to blood the other guys at some point. AoB isn't lacking top level experience mind, he doesn't really need to be blooded!

I think the future is the "Red Hot" duo of Patchot and Costellow. 

Date Posted: 09 October 2020 at 5:49pm
PS. Just because it took me so long to write, I missed the last post before mine...

I always thought it was better to play the more attacking guy first, and then bring on the conservative controller when it was time to shut up shop or damage control? My preferred option anyway. 

Posted By: stradeyscarlet72
Date Posted: 09 October 2020 at 6:50pm
I really hope that uzair is fine and not on his way out as he’s been hinted on Twitter.  He certainly has a lot more to give in my view .

Date Posted: 09 October 2020 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by Raised By Peregos Raised By Peregos wrote:

PS. Just because it took me so long to write, I missed the last post before mine...

I always thought it was better to play the more attacking guy first, and then bring on the conservative controller when it was time to shut up shop or damage control? My preferred option anyway. 
I suppose you can look at this either way really and its just a case of personal preference and depends on how games develop.

-------------
saundersfoot scarlets

Date Posted: 09 October 2020 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by stradeyscarlet72 stradeyscarlet72 wrote:

I really hope that uzair is fine and not on his way out as he’s been hinted on Twitter.  He certainly has a lot more to give in my view .

Let's hope not , one of our better players last year , hopefully he will get some game time soon , Josh McLeod will be with Wales and possibly Blade Thomson with Scotland so there will be gaps than?

-------------
saundersfoot scarlets

Posted By: Sosban89
Date Posted: 09 October 2020 at 7:11pm

Oh no....Dan Jones

To be honest I sort of feel like our general strategy so far under Delaney has changed to a bit more forward centric approach?

Date Posted: 09 October 2020 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by N14 N14 wrote:

Dan is a good player. But we should be selecting Patchell if we want to get our backs moving.
As for Cassiem’s continued exclusion from the 23...I really am lost for words.
I'm hearing that Patch hasn't really trained much over the last 2 weeks,so maybe that has a bearing on selection...im expecting him to play 30/35 mins this week after his 15 last week..He could really do with a run with us and find his fitness and game levels before going with Wales..

Date Posted: 09 October 2020 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by stradeyscarlet72 stradeyscarlet72 wrote:

Totally agree

Date Posted: 09 October 2020 at 7:44pm
I’ll be disappointed if he leaves but isn’t this the last year of his deal. If i was scarlets management i’d get him an extension 

Posted By: ladram
Date Posted: 09 October 2020 at 8:44pm
the last thing we need need now is a coach with an agenda on one of our best players like pivac with steff who was the best winger in wales at the time,cassiem was outstanding last year.

Date Posted: 09 October 2020 at 10:30pm
Yep I’m gutted that waste of space Jonny Williams has joined us -  and immediately into the Welsh squad.What idiot instigated that appointment then ? 🤨 

-------------
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook

Date Posted: 09 October 2020 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

the last thing we need need now is a coach with an agenda on one of our best players like pivac with steff who was the best winger in wales at the time,cassiem was outstanding last year.
All coaches have their “like” players. That’s fine. Steff is elusive  in the immediate contest but lacks real pace. He was surprisingly caught the other week when I expected him to score.  His defence has definitely improved mind . 

-------------

Posted By: Dic Penderyn
Date Posted: 09 October 2020 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

All coaches have their “like” players. That’s fine. Steff is elusive  in the immediate contest but lacks real pace. He was surprisingly caught the other week when I expected him to score.  His defence has definitely improved mind . 

Nice to see some honest,balanced appraisals.Sometimes criticisms are avoided,flaws tolerated,and failings ignored.

Posted By: Sosban bach
Date Posted: 10 October 2020 at 2:52am
Can’t see how anyone would want Patchell starting yet, he looked totally out of his depth last week when he came on. Bench the right call for me but I think we should have tried using aob before now at 10 for some game time. Would be very disappointing if cassiem left was great for us last year and loved being here

Date Posted: 10 October 2020 at 7:14am
Cass would be a huge loss if he goes he looked like he was loving playing for us last season and was in great form . Even though he will get games when the international's are away. 

Its no good for his morale to leave him out of these match day squads with no chance to prove himself even off the bench . Bad man management In my opinion.

I cannot wait to see cass and kala 6 and 8 together 

Posted By: knutsfordlion
Date Posted: 10 October 2020 at 7:50am
Originally posted by Realwest Realwest wrote:

Cass would be a huge loss if he goes he looked like he was loving playing for us last season and was in great form . Even though he will get games when the international's are away. 

Its no good for his morale to leave him out of these match day squads with no chance to prove himself even off the bench . Bad man management In my opinion.

I cannot wait to see cass and kala 6 and 8 together 

I expect Cass to play out of his skin when he gets the chances during the International window, and it will make it impossible not to be selected going forward.
Sadly when you have a lot of quality operators in the back row, there will always be some disappointment, bit that competition for places can only drive individuals on !

-------------
Page the oracle

Posted By: PE SA
Date Posted: 10 October 2020 at 9:15am
It's odd isn't it... Cassiem gone from public enemy number one on here to a conspirecy theory over his non selection.
We are fortunate to have such depth in tbe back row. Balancing act puts cassiem out of the frame on bench in my opinion. 
Blade, Macleod, Kalamafoni  play 8.
Blade, Macleod play 6.
Macleod plays 7. 

Bench cover common sense is a player that plays 7 isn't it? Cubby, Jac Morgan, or Dan Davis. 

Posted By: Wasp
Date Posted: 10 October 2020 at 10:02am
The next 6 fixtures after this one are in the international window, and I fully expect that there is a different selection strategy already decided.

We will see much more of Gus, Costellow, Cassiem, Conbeer, Dan Davies etc. 

-------------
We're still still here!

Posted By: Eastern outpost
Date Posted: 10 October 2020 at 10:12am
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

It's odd isn't it... Cassiem gone from public enemy number one on here to a conspirecy theory over his non selection.
We are fortunate to have such depth in tbe back row. Balancing act puts cassiem out of the frame on bench in my opinion. 
Blade, Macleod, Kalamafoni  play 8.
Blade, Macleod play 6.
Macleod plays 7. 

Bench cover common sense is a player that plays 7 isn't it? Cubby, Jac Morgan, or Dan Davis. 
Via hero and probable player of the season in 2019-20.

-------------
Any offence taken on board is only a literate/cy consequence. Every attempt at humour is just that. No personal insult intended. Standards lowered for trolls.

Date Posted: 10 October 2020 at 12:20pm
It's interesting to me (and I'm only interested in actual well-considered rugby debate, not [beep]ging players off) that no-one responded to my comment about Kalamafoni's carrying ability (as displayed so far). A post I read on a different rugby site always stuck with me... that he had the most carries in the premiership but didn't make many metres. I'm sorry, I can't remember the source. He's got a great appetite for it, but it doesn't seem to translate into busting tackles IMHO. I haven't seen him get any more yards on average than Cassiem, and the latter has the advantage of being more impressive in open field in my opinion. 

I think Kalamafoni is a really good player don't get me wrong, and yes I'm in the Cassiem camp (I never made him public enemy no1 for me, I always thought you could see the effort and ability he had but it never quite clicked - turns out a broken bone was something to do with that...) just would like some more rotation based on pitch/weather. 

It's interesting to see teams like Bristol bench Sinckler today for a semi-final - that's strength in depth, but also shows that to get that depth you have to rotate. I guess the trick is to rotate enough to build depth but not too much to wreck team growth and momentum.

Posted By: ChrisX
Date Posted: 10 October 2020 at 12:25pm
Its similar with Leinster, the best sides have such strength in depth and rotation becomes a must, we have a strong squad, some positions more than others and good players are always going to sit out certain games. I do hope we see more of Cass soon though, the question is do the coaches see him as a possible 6 or is it a shootout between him and Sione for number 8?

Looking at Glasgow tomorrow, all ready a big game, and the last before 13, 14, 15 probably away for the next couple of months. 2 good sides on paper. Scarlets have a pretty decent record against Glasgow at Scotstoun, winning 5 out of the last 6 including that semi final in 2018, lets hope that can continue!!

Date Posted: 10 October 2020 at 12:49pm
I'd say its a shoot out at 8 as we only have 2 in the squad really before we go down to Tuipolotu. Cass is nowhere near as effective as a 6 in my opinion.  

Date Posted: 10 October 2020 at 12:50pm
If i was coach id have kala start then cass come on around 65 mins and take turns over who starts and who benches 

But then again ive never coached or been in a professional sports environment 

I just hope we can keep all our talent happy

Date Posted: 10 October 2020 at 1:08pm

It's interesting to me (and I'm only interested in actual well-considered rugby debate, not [beep]ging players off) that no-one responded to my comment about Kalamafoni's carrying ability (as displayed so far). A post I read on a different rugby site always stuck with me... that he had the most carries in the premiership but didn't make many metres. I'm sorry, I can't remember the source. He's got a great appetite for it, but it doesn't seem to translate into busting tackles IMHO. I haven't seen him get any more yards on average than Cassiem, and the latter has the advantage of being more impressive in open field in my opinion. 

I think Kalamafoni is a really good player don't get me wrong, and yes I'm in the Cassiem camp (I never made him public enemy no1 for me, I always thought you could see the effort and ability he had but it never quite clicked - turns out a broken bone was something to do with that...) just would like some more rotation based on pitch/weather. 

It's interesting to see teams like Bristol bench Sinckler today for a semi-final - that's strength in depth, but also shows that to get that depth you have to rotate. I guess the trick is to rotate enough to build depth but not too much to wreck team growth and momentum.

For me,selection seems to be an indication of the kind of game the coaches wish to play.A rigid game-plan,based upon exerting pressure,with a huge emphasis on kicking.This kind of rugby does not favour the selection of players called,in Australia,"coach-killers":players capable of doing the unexpected,deviating from the game-plan to play instinctively.You are spot on re.Cassiem and Kalamafoni-there's nothing to choose between the 2 in terms of hard yards....but which player  is more likely to stick to the plan?

Date Posted: 10 October 2020 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by Realwest Realwest wrote:

If i was coach id have kala start then cass come on around 65 mins and take turns over who starts and who benches 

But then again ive never coached or been in a professional sports environment 

I just hope we can keep all our talent happy
Don’t worry neither has anyone else on this forum so don’t be bashful 😉😂

-------------

Posted By: Why
Date Posted: 10 October 2020 at 2:05pm
Think people may be reading too much into things he has to balance squads in relation to intls Cassiem will be huge for us as player and leader when the intls are on. 

-------------
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.

Date Posted: 10 October 2020 at 3:03pm
He will be, so to not five him any minutes, even off the bench, in the three big games preceding the international window seems strange, no?

Date Posted: 10 October 2020 at 3:04pm
*give sorry

Date Posted: 10 October 2020 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

Think people may be reading too much into things he has to balance squads in relation to intls Cassiem will be huge for us as player and leader when the intls are on. 

Maybe so but after a poor show by Cubby when he came on, you do wonder about selection decisions. But in fairness we dont see the midweek training

Posted By: ladram
Date Posted: 10 October 2020 at 3:46pm

He will be, so to not five him any minutes, even off the bench, in the three big games preceding the international window seems strange, no?
Clap

Posted By: TheKing
Date Posted: 11 October 2020 at 8:39am
Hughes over Tyler and Asquith Confused

Date Posted: 11 October 2020 at 10:43am
Originally posted by TheKing TheKing wrote:

Hughes over Tyler and Asquith Confused

People seem to have a real downer on Steff Hughes , maybe not the quickest but in my view a clever player who can also play 10 and 15 as well as centre so a good bench option from that point of view. 
I know we already have Patchell on the bench who can also play 10 and 15 and in some ways is more effective at 15 but he has hardly played and looked a bit rusty last week and not sure he could fill in at centre as well as Steff H.
That's only my opinion mind and sure others will disagree 

-------------
saundersfoot scarlets

Date Posted: 11 October 2020 at 11:18am
Asquith's opportunities have,since his arrival,largely been confined to a place on the bench.He has never disappointed,and his contributions have always been positive and often decisive.As an impact player,probably among the very best in the business.I don 't think many would argue against him being given a crack in the starting line-up,but I can't for the life of me understand why he's excluded from bench duty.

Posted By: 157cb
Date Posted: 11 October 2020 at 11:49am
  I would have had Tyler, Asquith or Conibeer on bench , pacey or creative players .

Some of the match day selections , are baffling, and to many myself included  strange .

Let's hope we will see a more complete performance today and a win to boot!

Posted By: Sandman
Date Posted: 11 October 2020 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by Dic Penderyn Dic Penderyn wrote:

Asquith's opportunities have,since his arrival,largely been confined to a place on the bench.He has never disappointed,and his contributions have always been positive and often decisive.As an impact player,probably among the very best in the business.I don 't think many would argue against him being given a crack in the starting line-up,but I can't for the life of me understand why he's excluded from bench duty.
I would have Asquith or Morgan, even though he’s a 13, on the bench ahead of Hughes every day. The only consideration to take is defence. Maybe having Hughes outside of Dinky is the safer option? 

-------------
Only one team plays in red. (Sorry, Scarlet)

Date Posted: 11 October 2020 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

I would have had Tyler, Asquith or Conibeer on bench , pacey or creative players .

Some of the match day selections , are baffling, and to many myself included  strange .

You can't take much for granted in life at all these days,but one thing is certain:whatever our misgivings,whatever our criticisms,we all want to see the Scarlets win....so get out and play this Glasgow bunch off the park

Posted By: Mugwuffin
Date Posted: 11 October 2020 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by Sandman Sandman wrote:

I would have Asquith or Morgan, even though he’s a 13, on the bench ahead of Hughes every day. The only consideration to take is defence. Maybe having Hughes outside of Dinky is the safer option? 
Hughes also has a better short kicking game and has been lauded as a good communicator and leader. 

Posted By: 157cb
Date Posted: 11 October 2020 at 12:34pm

Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

You can't take much for granted in life at all these days,but one thing is certain:whatever our misgivings,whatever our criticisms,we all want to see the Scarlets win....so get out and play this Glasgow bunch off the park

Here!!!! Here!!!

Date Posted: 11 October 2020 at 2:13pm

Oh no....Dan Jones
Totally agree with you. Patchell will get a chance today but to drop Dan for him would not be fair on Dan . 

-------------

Date Posted: 11 October 2020 at 2:30pm
I think the "Dan seems to be the Priestland for taking all the stick" is hyperbole. 

There seems to be two discussions going on... in one people say unfair and unqualified things about players they don't like (Dan, Steff Hughes etc.) ... and in the other, those of us who suggest alternatives to playing these players acknowledge their strengths but then offer clear and fair reasons as to why we would prefer to see different selections. 

Please don't conflate the two sides!

For me, starting players like AoB, Costelow, Asquith, Cassiem, Morgan, particularly on an artificial pitch, over their more pragmatic alternatives, is indicative of the style of play I would like us to work towards. For me, we need AoB or Costelow to be a great back-up to Patchell in the fluid, attacking, running style of rugby I hope we play. Players like Dan will then come into their own during different conditions. 

But these are my preferences and clearly not the coach's as the moment. But what is a forum for if not to discuss our own thoughts and preferences? I just think we can do that without disrespecting players or coaches. 

Date Posted: 11 October 2020 at 2:45pm
Yes. Good post that.

I have a completely subjective view that Asquith will be the last taxi off the rank under the current coaches. He was on the bench for the Blues and Drags game and not been seen since. Tyler is perhaps more odd. If we wasn't brought in to be the high pedigree 13 to cover Foxy then I'm lost as to the point of him. Then again, what do I know.

Steff Hughes is the epitome of an elite level WQ regional player with a really low error count and solid skill set. He's not going to run through or around players too often, and that's the point that triggers debate on selection.

Asquith and Tyler have more about them to excite supporters for sure.

Date Posted: 11 October 2020 at 2:49pm
Exactly.... I'm a risk/reward person rather than risk averse person. Hence my views on selection!

Posted By: Speedy
Date Posted: 11 October 2020 at 2:50pm
I was thinking during the week how our greatest rugby was played sometimes with Dan at 10 and Patchell 15.

I would like to see that again. 

The Scarlet way is nothing without an attacking threat from 15.

As good as HP is, he doesnt offer that attacking threat from deep.  Seriously limiting us. 

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN7pGq1i2jhev2YLcZ89h7Q/videos" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN7pGq1i2jhev2YLcZ89h7Q/videos

Date Posted: 11 October 2020 at 2:58pm
One of our most exciting games last season was against Bayonne with AoB at OH and Baldwin in the centre. That didn't happen very often. 

Date Posted: 11 October 2020 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

I was thinking during the week how our greatest rugby was played sometimes with Dan at 10 and Patchell 15.

As good as HP is, he doesnt offer that attacking threat from deep.  Seriously limiting us. 

Leigh has been good in go forward mode in the games he’s played and not static at all .

-------------

Posted By: Speedy
Date Posted: 11 October 2020 at 3:33pm
https://youtu.be/Mu98alsjIj4%20" rel="nofollow - https://youtu.be/Mu98alsjIj4

All welcome to pop in or even just a share or retweet will be greatly appreciated.

Ymlaen.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN7pGq1i2jhev2YLcZ89h7Q/videos" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN7pGq1i2jhev2YLcZ89h7Q/videos

Posted By: scarletnut
Date Posted: 11 October 2020 at 4:44pm

He would be the first name on my team sheet every game. He's worth his weight in gold.

He won't be fully appreciated until he isn't there.

-------------
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1

Posted By: Mr Ian
Date Posted: 11 October 2020 at 5:05pm
few minutes to begin...come on boys!

Posted By: RR1972
Date Posted: 11 October 2020 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

He would be the first name on my team sheet every game. He's worth his weight in gold.

he is a great goal kicker great defensive 15 but poor im attack. First name on team sheet? When  patchell is fit at 10 and liam and jonny mac are fit i wouldn’t even have halfpenny in the team tbh, just my view though i think delaney thinks in a similar way to you regarding halfpenny

Posted By: Pentigili
Date Posted: 11 October 2020 at 10:46pm
I thought Leigh carried as much as any of our backs tonight  and if you annalyse the yardage he probably made more.

Date Posted: 11 October 2020 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by Pentigili Pentigili wrote:

I thought Leigh carried as much as any of our backs tonight  and if you annalyse the yardage he probably made more.

Of course he did,he plays full-back and Glasgow kicked a lot.

Date Posted: 11 October 2020 at 10:50pm

He didn’t cost us the game 🤨

-------------

Posted By: Pentigili
Date Posted: 11 October 2020 at 11:01pm
In attack therefore he was very good.

Date Posted: 11 October 2020 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

He didn’t cost us the game 🤨

Glasgow kicked poorly,too.

Date Posted: 11 October 2020 at 11:54pm
Halfpenny and Kalamafoni were the top 2 for metres made. Kalamafoni on top with 67, Leigh with 64. Johnny Williams and Tom Rogers both in the 40s. Steff in the 30s... Everyone else below 10m. Seeing Halfpenny and Kalamafoni come in for some unnecessary stick. 

I'd like to see Costellow or Angus have a crack at 10 next week. 
A back line of Blacker, Costellow, SteffE, Hughes, Tyler, Conbeer, Rogers for me next week.
Pack of Rob Evs, Daf Hughes, Kruger, Tex, Rawlins, Kennedy, Cubby, Kalamafoni. 
Bench of Price, Jones, Sebastien, Helps, Morgan, Homer, Dan, Asquith. 
Going to be tough in Italy without everyone. 

Date Posted: 12 October 2020 at 12:43am

Halfpenny and Kalamafoni were the top 2 for metres made. Kalamafoni on top with 67, Leigh with 64. Johnny Williams and Tom Rogers both in the 40s. Steff in the 30s... Everyone else below 10m. Seeing Halfpenny and Kalamafoni come in for some unnecessary stick. 

A back line of Blacker, Costellow, SteffE, Hughes, Tyler, Conbeer, Rogers for me next week.

A few years ago we were making that kind of yardage in the space of a few moves.We have short memories,sometimes

Date Posted: 12 October 2020 at 9:12am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

he is a great goal kicker great defensive 15 but poor im attack. First name on team sheet? When  patchell is fit at 10 and liam and jonny mac are fit i wouldn’t even have halfpenny in the team tbh, just my view though i think delaney thinks in a similar way to you regarding halfpenny
He is absolutely not poor in attack. Would he have achieved all he has if he was poor in attack? It’s not just Delaney who thinks in a similar way it’s every coach whose ever coached him 

-------------
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1

Date Posted: 12 October 2020 at 9:13am

Sebastian over Kruger who isn’t a great scrummager 

-------------

Posted By: RR1972
Date Posted: 12 October 2020 at 4:40pm

He is absolutely not poor in attack. Would he have achieved all he has if he was poor in attack? It’s not just Delaney who thinks in a similar way it’s every coach whose ever coached him 

correction he wasn't poor in attack , when he first broke into senior rugby he was a nippy try scoring winger now he is a defensive 15

The game is not all about attack though as I said he is a great goal kicker, has great positional awareness and is excellent under the high ball so I can see why coaches pick him and yes he has had a great career

But let's kid ourselves he is  limited in  attack  at the moment , tell me the last time you saw him come into the back line and make a break, our launch a counter attack and beat a few men?

I can't really recall him doing that for region or country for ages. It's not personal and it doesn't mean he is  finished but he is coming much more of an defensive 15 than an attacking one and has been for the last few years now.

I dare say pivac will pick him to play vs france though but once liam is fully fit it will be a tight call, for sure wales don't need biggar and halfpenny in the same team

Date Posted: 12 October 2020 at 5:31pm

I feel Kruger offers much more. Just don't see anything in Sebastian at all. It's worrying over next few months havi g Sebastian and Kruger as options. One injury and in steps O'connor from the academy. A definite area that we need to bolster when we can. 

Date Posted: 12 October 2020 at 5:43pm
Kruger's work rate is amazing for a prop. Never been a great scrummager though.

Posted By: ap sior
Date Posted: 12 October 2020 at 6:06pm

correction he wasn't poor in attack , when he first broke into senior rugby he was a nippy try scoring winger now he is a defensive 15

The game is not all about attack though as I said he is a great goal kicker, has great positional awareness and is excellent under the high ball so I can see why coaches pick him and yes he has had a great career

But let's kid ourselves he is  limited in  attack  at the moment , tell me the last time you saw him come into the back line and make a break, our launch a counter attack and beat a few men?

I can't really recall him doing that for region or country for ages. It's not personal and it doesn't mean he is  finished but he is coming much more of an defensive 15 than an attacking one and has been for the last few years now.

I dare say pivac will pick him to play vs france though but once liam is fully fit it will be a tight call, for sure wales don't need biggar and halfpenny in the same team

Baldwin'ns try against LI.

Date Posted: 12 October 2020 at 6:21pm
A defensive 15 looks on the numbers for what we need right now

Date Posted: 12 October 2020 at 7:04pm

I feel Kruger offers much more. Just don't see anything in Sebastian at all. It's worrying over next few months havi g Sebastian and Kruger as options. One injury and in steps O'connor from the academy. A definite area that we need to bolster when we can. 
Apart from the fact one is a strong scrummager and the other isn’t 

-------------

Date Posted: 12 October 2020 at 7:04pm

Yes I agree.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 October 2020 at 7:06pm

Yes I agree.
spot on. I worry On JS. He's 27, not a prospect. I personally don't think Kruger is any worse. In the scrum than Sebastian. But Kruger hands down does more around the field. Each to their own though. 

Date Posted: 13 October 2020 at 10:50am
Pretty meaningless to discuss any shortcomings Leigh may or may not have - our attacking ambitions should be based on the merits and strengths of the selected backs. Where were any moves involving our blind side wingers coming into the line to create overlaps? 

Identifying Leigh or Dan or Steff as reasons for our failures is way off the mark. Our team should go out for every game with a detailed idea of how we are going to beat the opposition. Against Glasgow on a perfect track in good weather conditions we were clueless. That is down to coaching. 

Posted By: greypower1
Date Posted: 13 October 2020 at 11:06am

Pretty meaningless to discuss any shortcomings Leigh may or may not have - our attacking ambitions should be based on the merits and strengths of the selected backs. Where were any moves involving our blind side wingers coming into the line to create overlaps? 

Identifying Leigh or Dan or Steff as reasons for our failures is way off the mark. Our team should go out for every game with a detailed idea of how we are going to beat the opposition. Against Glasgow on a perfect track in good weather conditions we were clueless. That is down to coaching. 

When Gareth Jenkins was coach he was always analysing the opposition and played accordingly.  Today, with the huge amount of data available to coaches there is no excuse not to have a game plan targeting the opposition's weaknesses, as Glasgow succeeded in doing.  We may well have had a "cunning plan" of our own but if we did we were not well drilled enough to execute it.

-------------
Keep the faith

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net