Forum Description: Team News, Season Tickets, Next Match
URL: http://www.scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=46055
Printed Date: 21 January 2021 at 2:14pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Scarlets side to face Connacht
Posted By: Fscarlet
Subject: Scarlets side to face Connacht
Date Posted: 13 November 2020 at 11:56am

15 Johnny McNicholl; 14 Ryan Conbeer, 13 Steff Hughes (capt), 12 Paul Asquith, 11 Steff Evans; 10 Dan Jones, 9 Dane Blacker; 1 Rob Evans, 2 Taylor Davies, 3 Javan Sebastian, 4 Sam Lousi, 5 Morgan Jones, 6 Ed Kennedy, 7 Jac Morgan, 8 Sione Kalamafoni.

Reps: 16 Daf Hughes 17 Phil Price 18 Werner Kruger 19 Danny Drake 20 Uzair Cassiem 21 Will Homer 22 Angus O’Brien 23 Tyler Morgan.

Replies:
Posted By: philturk
Date Posted: 13 November 2020 at 12:14pm
I’m losing more and more faith in Delaney with every week that goes by.

Where’s Jac Price, Dom Booth & Costellow? All 3 have been promising so far this season 

Javan has been poor and yet we persist with him, I’d take Cassiem over Kalamafoni (who has done nothing in a Scarlets shirt so far)

Posted By: EJPT
Date Posted: 13 November 2020 at 12:18pm
Tyler and Homer should start in my opinion. Hoping for a big game from Kal as it could be up the jumper weather. Harsh on Cassiem but he’s probably the only back rower who is effective off the bench in all those positions.  

Date Posted: 13 November 2020 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by philturk philturk wrote:

Where’s Jac Price, Dom Booth & Costellow? All 3 have been promising so far this season 

Javan has been poor and yet we persist with him, I’d take Cassiem over Kalamafoni (who has done nothing in a Scarlets shirt so far)
Kal has done a bit but i’d agree to some extent and more and more as each week that goes by. He is a top carrier but looking at the statistics his carries are not that effective. 50 carries but only 19 effective carries 38%. Comparing Cassiem who lead the league last year 82/163 effective over total is 50%. Either Cassiem is more effective or we are not utilising Kal as we should. 

Date Posted: 13 November 2020 at 12:27pm

Jac is struggling with concussion & I don't think a wet & windy Galway is suited to Costellows running game, we need the steadiness of Dinky there.

Posted By: GPR - Rochester
Date Posted: 13 November 2020 at 12:30pm
Casseim was very quiet last week and Kennedy has impressed every time he has been involved. Jac Pryce took a bang last week so rested this week which will be the correct call. Would have liked to see Booth again but also glad to see Daf Hughes getting a game. Costellow should be involved and I give up talking about Tyler not being given a chance in the shirt he played for Wales in a World Cup quarter final!!!!

Posted By: Mr Ian
Date Posted: 13 November 2020 at 12:34pm
Good to go with the same selection, many players involved need show more the  last week...in my opinion in last 2 games missed Dan Jones and now he is our first fly half.OB on the bench garantees more roles cover, gutted for Colstelow...
Will be a really difficoult match and honestly not so positive 

Posted By: Mugwuffin
Date Posted: 13 November 2020 at 12:39pm
It’s good to see Kennedy get a chance. He’s played well this season. Cassiem will hopefully bring some energy and impact off the bench in the last half hour. 

I’m glad to see Dan Jones back in the squad. The second half last week was crying out for his game management.  

Posted By: 157cb
Date Posted: 13 November 2020 at 12:48pm

Our hands tied behind our back once again with no players released ,while Connacht have Carty,Marmion and Dillane released .

Date Posted: 13 November 2020 at 12:51pm
Sam Grove White (SRU) is the ref, assisted by 2 Irish linesmen & an Irish TMO. 

Posted By: aber-fan
Date Posted: 13 November 2020 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Jac is struggling with concussion & I don't think a wet & windy Galway is suited to Costellows running game, we need the steadiness of Dinky there.

Good point there - but I'm really looking forward to seeing more of Costellow before too long - a very talented player.

-------------
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)

Date Posted: 13 November 2020 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Good point there - but I'm really looking forward to seeing more of Costellow before too long - a very talented player.

Me too. I think he will be our starting 10 for years to come!

Posted By: Wasp
Date Posted: 13 November 2020 at 2:30pm

Hmm. Small, skilful sidestepper Costelow on a gale force wind and rain forecasted Sportsground in Galway?
Your comments on Sione are pretty wide of the mark too

-------------
We're still still here!

Posted By: scarletnut
Date Posted: 13 November 2020 at 2:40pm

Jac Price is concussed while it’s nonsense to say Kalamafoni has done nothing

-------------
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1

Date Posted: 13 November 2020 at 2:50pm

If you watched Costelow play ? You will see he his not the biggest, but he his fearless in the tackle, I would say he his our best defensive 10 .

This  kid as all the tools , he his a class act , he should have started at 10 against Zebre ..All the other countries in European Rugby blood there young tens, we seem reluctant to do so ..

Date Posted: 13 November 2020 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

If you watched Costelow play ? You will see he his not the biggest, but he his fearless in the tackle, I would say he his our best defensive 10 .

This  kid as all the tools , he his a class act , he should have started at 10 against Zebre ..All the other countries in European Rugby blood there young tens, we seem reluctant to do so ..

I agree but I just don't think he is best equipped to be starting 10 out in Galway where the weather will be horrific as always.

Posted By: Captain
Date Posted: 13 November 2020 at 3:05pm

Can I request from members to wait and find out why players are not playing before they reply with stupid comments about the coaches decisions on players 

Posted By: Dic Penderyn
Date Posted: 13 November 2020 at 3:27pm

I agree but I just don't think he is best equipped to be starting 10 out in Galway where the weather will be horrific as always.
I don't believe players should be picked to suit the weather,it's a nonsense.Play according to the weather,yes:the best can adapt their play to all conditions.Difficult to see when Costellow will get a chance-in Belfast?Against Leinster?Must-win game against the Ospreys?The best fixtures to give him a cracck are gone imo.,and his debut,when it comes,will be more pressurised.I think he'll cope with pressure-the best players always do,but the coaches could have made it easier,and have missed the boat,I think.

Date Posted: 13 November 2020 at 3:59pm

No argument with Dinky starting with weather forecast as it is, Dan was outstanding in corresponding fixture at the Parc last season .

If we did not start with Sam last week when will we start him ?(

Posted By: Rochester100
Date Posted: 13 November 2020 at 4:07pm
Dan is a steady player but limits attacking options 

Date Posted: 13 November 2020 at 4:09pm

No argument with Dinky starting with weather forecast as it is, Dan was outstanding in corresponding fixture at the Parc last season .

If we did not start with Sam last week when will we start him ?(

Fair comment re.Dan.When Sam does start,there's going to be a huge amount of expectation.Personally,I think the coaches have handled it badly,and he won't get a chance until there's nothing left to play for.Either that or he'll be expected to work miracles and turn things round.He should have been brought through before now,that's for sure.

Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 13 November 2020 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by Captain Captain wrote:

Can I request from members to wait and find out why players are not playing before they reply with stupid comments about the coaches decisions on players 

Now that’s a bit of common sense 👍

-------------
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook

Posted By: knutsfordlion
Date Posted: 13 November 2020 at 11:56pm

Give you're head a wobble!!!
Kalamafoni has bee the only one who has stepped up so far!!!

Just look at his carrying and defensive stats you plumb.!

-------------
Page the oracle

Posted By: Mundoscarlet
Date Posted: 14 November 2020 at 6:26am
The frustrating this is,and I get everyone's annoyance,but a little bit of composure and we would have beaten Edinburgh and munster and suddenly we have 16 points and top the group by a few points.small margins make the difference. Let's hope this week,we get the W and try to keep building 

Date Posted: 14 November 2020 at 8:32am
If we can get a win out in Connacht, we will have turned a corner and all will be forgiven. Really tough ask

-------------
We're still still here!

Posted By: saundersfootscarlets
Date Posted: 14 November 2020 at 10:23am
Originally posted by Mundoscarlet Mundoscarlet wrote:

The frustrating this is,and I get everyone's annoyance,but a little bit of composure and we would have beaten Edinburgh and munster and suddenly we have 16 points and top the group by a few points.small margins make the difference. Let's hope this week,we get the W and try to keep building 

I think you are right , those are both games we perhaps should have won with a little more composure , luck and less poor refereeing decisions and then we would be playing with more confidence - we looked good for the first 20 minutes last week before things started to go wrong again.
It's going to be a difficult game today and one where we will really have to dig in but lets hope it goes our way as we have 2 more difficult games to come.

-------------
saundersfoot scarlets

Posted By: Maple
Date Posted: 14 November 2020 at 10:30am
Why is Sebastian in the team? He brings nothing to the game.

-------------
Give Blood, Play Rugby

Date Posted: 14 November 2020 at 10:47am
Originally posted by Maple Maple wrote:

Disagree totally ,the issues at scrum time have been on the loose head for the most part, yes he as been penalised admittedly .Javan been our most impressive prop in the loose by a country mile .

The scrum is an absolute lottery , that an the breakdown harming the very future of the game, what a mess .

Date Posted: 14 November 2020 at 10:51am
Originally posted by saundersfootscarlets saundersfootscarlets wrote:

Originally posted by Mundoscarlet Mundoscarlet wrote:

I think you are right , those are both games we perhaps should have won with a little more composure , luck and less poor refereeing decisions and then we would be playing with more confidence - we looked good for the first 20 minutes last week before things started to go wrong again.
It's going to be a difficult game today and one where we will really have to dig in but lets hope it goes our way as we have 2 more difficult games to come.

Just the sort of game today where 9 & 10 are even more crucial than normal. Connacht have their first choices back from camp - ours well.....................

Date Posted: 14 November 2020 at 10:56am

Disagree totally ,the issues at scrum time have been on the loose head for the most part, yes he as been penalised admittedly .Javan been our most impressive prop in the loose by a country mile .

The scrum is an absolute lottery , that an the breakdown harming the very future of the game, what a mess .

Agree with you 157 on Javan. His work in the loose is good; he looks for the ball and, while he sometimes gets a little over enthusiastic like getting in the way of the 10, I would prefer to see a big guy putting his hands up. He also possesses a decent turn of pace and can make metres. His scrummaging is not Samson but he is a little better than Werner. Working with Franks will bring him on and we could have a very good pro 14 prop for a number of years. 

Date Posted: 14 November 2020 at 11:20am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Agree with you 157 on Javan. His work in the loose is good; he looks for the ball and, while he sometimes gets a little over enthusiastic like getting in the way of the 10, I would prefer to see a big guy putting his hands up. He also possesses a decent turn of pace and can make metres. His scrummaging is not Samson but he is a little better than Werner. Working with Franks will bring him on and we could have a very good pro 14 prop for a number of years. 
It's true that the scrum problems seem to have been m the loose-head,but also true that the loose-head will have a difficult time if the tight-head isn't locking it.Javen's scrummaging has been solid,and some of his work around the field has been excellent.Overall,I think he's a player showing signs of progress all the time,and is definitely on the right track.

Posted By: Dai Guevara
Date Posted: 14 November 2020 at 12:01pm
157cb wrote

The scrum is an absolute lottery , that an the breakdown harming the very future of the game, what a mess .[/QUOTE]

Agree completely. Javan only needs to improve a little on fitness to become a top class prop.
However as 157cb also points out the scrum is becoming more and more of a lottery and the impression I get is that most referees have little idea of what is going on and who is breaking the rules. When a scrum collapses they have to make a decision and often this is pure guess work, but once made they tend to stick with penalising the same side unless something very different occurs.
The breakdown decisions are also often baffling, with so many players piling in at different angles and power that it can't be easy for refs to arrive at a clear decision to penalise and which side to penalise.
Clearly we have to work on these aspects, before we are able to get enough ball to judge how the backs are performing.

Date Posted: 14 November 2020 at 12:26pm
I have to agree that unless the penalty is someone losing their bind right in front of the referee i have little to no clue as to the basis of how a decision is made. It’s rugby unions biggest flaw at the moment. I would ultimately like to see no more than 1 reset per scrum or a rugby league style clock’s on.

Posted By: Legendinmybathroom
Date Posted: 14 November 2020 at 1:02pm
I can’t understand why referees don’t just let the scrum go down and let the scrum half just get the ball away, after all they still have the advantage of having the ball.  I know some referees often do this when they have had enough of reset after reset. 
It would also help to improve the game as a spectacle (in theory anyway) by having more ball in play time).

Posted By: PE SA
Date Posted: 14 November 2020 at 2:13pm
Going to be a very tough fixture v a fully loaded connacht. 

Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 14 November 2020 at 2:21pm
Scrum parity is the start point for our hopes tonight.

Posted By: PE SA
Date Posted: 14 November 2020 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Scrum parity is the start point for our hopes tonight.
very true. Get that, and hopefully we can stay in touch through the game. All on that though. Great to see Daf Hughes back involved. 

Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 14 November 2020 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by Legendinmybathroom Legendinmybathroom wrote:

I can’t understand why referees don’t just let the scrum go down and let the scrum half just get the ball away, after all they still have the advantage of having the ball.  I know some referees often do this when they have had enough of reset after reset. 
It would also help to improve the game as a spectacle (in theory anyway) by having more ball in play time).
Indeed. Scrums are killing the game for spectators 

-------------
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook

Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 14 November 2020 at 3:41pm

Interestingly this is exactly what the ref did in the Italy v Scotland game.

Nearly every scrum went down, but rather than adjudicate who was at fault, he told the SH to play it if the ball was at the back of the scrum.

Made the game flow better of course.

Posted By: saundersfootscarlets
Date Posted: 14 November 2020 at 5:14pm

Nearly every scrum went down, but rather than adjudicate who was at fault, he told the SH to play it if the ball was at the back of the scrum.

I thought the ref , Luke Pierce I think , was very good , have seen him quite a few times and he seems to control it well without whistling for every minor thing.

-------------
saundersfoot scarlets

Date Posted: 14 November 2020 at 5:30pm

It so frustrates me when they don't do this. The scrum is a restart. If the dominant side has the ball, and there's no risk to safety, then tell them to use it FFS.

-------------
We're still still here!

Posted By: Sosban bach
Date Posted: 14 November 2020 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by saundersfootscarlets saundersfootscarlets wrote:

I thought the ref , Luke Pierce I think , was very good , have seen him quite a few times and he seems to control it well without whistling for every minor thing.

Great ref is Luke and a top man👍 Done some great reffing in our games in the past. Pontypool boy isn’t he? 

Date Posted: 14 November 2020 at 6:52pm
Yeah I thought Pearce is the best ref in the world for some time now. Asks all the right tmo questions. 

Posted By: roy munster
Date Posted: 14 November 2020 at 6:55pm
what channel is this on pls?

-------------
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)

Posted By: Turkpower
Date Posted: 14 November 2020 at 7:13pm
Premier 2

Posted By: Eastern outpost
Date Posted: 14 November 2020 at 7:14pm
Excuse me if I don’t join in the Luke Pearce “Appreciation Society”.

Now, I do think he is one of the top tier of referees in the world. He had a very good World Cup and is now much more confident to stand on his own feet and trust his judgment, where has has clear views of things. Where he doesn’t, he now asks the right questions and knows who to trust in the TMO truck.

In the past, I’ve found him not particularly helpful when we have been playing.

Overall, he’s recently reached the top tier, IMO which is far from negotiable currency. I think he will inherit Wayne Barnes’s crown as the best/most accurate ref in the world, if not so good at comedy as Nigel nor for an end to end flow-fest as he is.

He is indisputably the best at not ageing. He still looks young enough to have his age checked in the pub and hasn’t really changed in many years.

Good on him for developing his game and player management. Hopefully, there’s still more to come.

The referee development curve is this difficult. With so much scrutiny from so many angles and so many speeds super slo-mo etc, it’s a very tough gig when the expectation is perfection from all officials, no matter what level.

Then, when it’s not consistent......

-------------
Any offence taken on board is only a literate/cy consequence. Every attempt at humour is just that. No personal insult intended. Standards lowered for trolls.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net