Forum Description: Team News, Season Tickets, Next Match
URL: https://scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=46063
Printed Date: 19 March 2024 at 4:34am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Dan Davies
Posted By: Blade
Subject: Dan Davies
Date Posted: 16 November 2020 at 11:09pm
A lot of Twitter gossip that Dan is off to the dark side. Be a shame to lose a great prospect. 

Replies:
Posted By: ladram
Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 4:25am
wouldn't blame him.

Posted By: Fscarlet
Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 7:01am
This will always happen when we have such depth at 7, we have him, Cubby, Josh, Jac. 

Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 7:52am
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

This will always happen when we have such depth at 7, we have him, Cubby, Josh, Jac. 
have we given him a chance to see how he has progressed? cubbys best days are behind him and age is not on his side,dan was outstanding last year with great performances against top sides.

Posted By: GPR - Rochester
Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 7:58am
If true I will personally be gutted. 

Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 8:07am
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

have we given him a chance to see how he has progressed? cubbys best days are behind him and age is not on his side,dan was outstanding last year with great performances against top sides.

Have to agree we haven't, I hope we do soon. I'd like to see him on the bench or starting against Ulster & Leinster but that much depends on how we go in terms of Casseim at 6 or on the bench.

Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 8:14am
don't forget that someone posted the other day that cassiem was leaving at xmas.

Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 8:21am
It is the biggest problem with having such depth - good ambitious professionals want to play. In fairness to Casseim he has seen his position taken by Sione with young Carwyn coming over the horizon. He may have a shout at 6 but Kennedy is challenging hard and Aaron is on his way back. It would make sense for us financially to allow him to leave for games. 

However it is crazy to allow Dan to leave. He is our future but I can see he won't be happy with where he finds himself. Tough job for the coaches I have to admit especially when there are no A games.

Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 8:22am

don't forget that someone posted the other day that cassiem was leaving at xmas.

Surely there can't be truth in that, if there is one player who lives & breathes Scarlets at the moment it is him. Even when he isn't in the matchday 23 he is engaging with supporters on Instagram getting them sending pictures of how they'll be watching the match.

Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 8:24am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

It is the biggest problem with having such depth - good ambitious professionals want to play. In fairness to Casseim he has seen his position taken by Sione with young Carwyn coming over the horizon. He may have a shout at 6 but Kennedy is challenging hard and Aaron is on his way back. It would make sense for us financially to allow him to leave for games. 

However it is crazy to allow Dan to leave. He is our future but I can see he won't be happy with where he finds himself. Tough job for the coaches I have to admit especially when there are no A games.

Again true, though he could find himself behind Jac in terms of selection. But I agree with no rugby below the pro 14 he is in effect kicking his feet waiting. If he has his mind set on leaving so he can get regular rugby then sadly there isn't much the coaching staff can do.

Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 8:25am

Surely there can't be truth in that, if there is one player who lives & breathes Scarlets at the moment it is him. Even when he isn't in the matchday 23 he is engaging with supporters on Instagram getting them sending pictures of how they'll be watching the match.
agree,but the coaches didn't seem to in the early games.

Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 8:28am
No its true. Dan is a very intelligent & ambitious young man. Seeing Botham being called up to the squad will not have helped his demeanour. In all honesty, losing my Scarlets hat, a move to the Ospreys would probably see him as No 2 to Tips so he will see plenty of gametime which for him at this point in his career is paramount. 

Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 8:29am

Aye but he has come back with a bang.

Hopefully this is all twitter talk & Dan will be given a good run soon.

Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 8:38am

Aye but he has come back with a bang.

Hopefully this is all twitter talk & Dan will be given a good run soon.
Clap

Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 9:00am
He reminds me a lot in terms of his athletism to Shingler, is there a chance we could look at him as a 6 long term?

Posted By: 157cb
Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 9:00am

We need to keep Dan at all costs he his 22 years of age,I saw him and Josh MacLeod a couple years back in Paris against Racing , they were both brilliant .

If we are looking at off loading players ?? we need to ntake there age and injury record into account.

When the International call will come with regards Jac Morgan, we will rarely see him with the structure of the season as it is .

Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 9:10am
Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

We need to keep Dan at all costs he his 22 years of age,I saw him and Josh MacLeod a couple years back in Paris against Racing , they were both brilliant .

If we are looking at off loading players ?? we need to ntake there age and injury record into account.

When the International call will come with regards Jac Morgan, we will rarely see him with the structure of the season as it is .
 that was last season mark,outstanding.

Posted By: scarletnut
Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 9:20am

But if you were Dan you’d probably be thinking you’d be better off at the Ospreys for game time. It’s what I would do 

-------------
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1

Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 9:21am
Dan is a different type of[player to Jac. Jac is a defensive machine in the mould of Josh; Dan is a a lightly bigger version of Cubby with superb handling skills and pace. All 3 could play together and given Dan's athleticism he could certainly do a job at lineout time as does Tipuric. 

Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 9:22am
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

But if you were Dan you’d probably be thinking you’d be better off at the Ospreys for game time. It’s what I would do 

Can't say I disagree with you Stef. 

Posted By: supertaf
Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 9:23am
Injuries havent helped Dan as when opportunities arose, he was unavailable to take them.
I guess he now sees himself as 4th choice behind Josh, Cubby and Jac. In addition hes probably thinking `Josh is injured, Cubby is with Wales and I still cant get even a bench position`. A brilliant player who needs game time. I said it weeks and weeks ago that with no welsh premiership, where on earth are all these excellent squad players meant to play rugby?? We need more `friendlies` so give these guys game time (or a proper inter region A leage)

-------------
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872

Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 9:39am

steff! i used to see you with paul at stradey when you were knee high i couldn't imagine you in an ospreys shirt LOLLOL

Posted By: Dic Penderyn
Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 9:40am

Dan is a different type of[player to Jac. Jac is a defensive machine in the mould of Josh; Dan is a a lightly bigger version of Cubby with superb handling skills and pace. All 3 could play together and given Dan's athleticism he could certainly do a job at lineout time as does Tipuric. 

I'm not sure I agree with you there,G.P..R..I think Jac is a good footballer,and is a great destructive player,yes,but is also a constructive force.Macleod I see as having a future at 6.Succession planning beyond Cubby and Shingler should already be moving in that direction,with Dan and Jac competing for the open-side berth.Fitting Cassiem in at 6 has clouded the issue,and,I'd argue,hasn't worked-Kennedy has shown he's a more natural option there.Had Kennedy been preferred at 6,Dan could have been used on the bench.

Posted By: Why
Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 9:44am
If we looking to offload flankers surely it should be Cubby that goes as much as he has been great for us he is not player he was and players like Dan and Jac are our future. 

-------------
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.

Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 9:45am
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

If we looking to offload flankers surely it should be Cubby that goes as much as he has been great for us he is not player he was and players like Dan and Jac are our future. 

Even if we did that, & I'm not advocating we do, do you think Dan would still be happy being 3rd choice behind Josh & Jac?

Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 9:46am

steff! i used to see you with paul at stradey when you were knee high i couldn't imagine you in an ospreys shirt LOLLOL
LOLLOL

-------------
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1

Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 9:47am
Originally posted by Dic Penderyn Dic Penderyn wrote:

I'm not sure I agree with you there,G.P..R..I think Jac is a good footballer,and is a great destructive player,yes,but is also a constructive force.Macleod I see as having a future at 6.Succession planning beyond Cubby and Shingler should already be moving in that direction,with Dan and Jac competing for the open-side berth.Fitting Cassiem in at 6 has clouded the issue,and,I'd argue,hasn't worked-Kennedy has shown he's a more natural option there.Had Kennedy been preferred at 6,Dan could have been used on the bench.

I do not mean to downplay Jac's creative ability which is clear for everyone to see from that disallowed try but when comparing their strengths I see Dan as the more constructive. He is certainly a lot quicker. For me Kennedy is the natural Shingler replacement rather than Casseim.

Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 9:52am
We don't do so well with highly regarded players leaving.

It's a feature of our game unfortunately.

Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 9:54am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

We don't do so well with highly regarded players leaving.

It's a feature of our game unfortunately.

I guess it is a compliment of our academy & the way we bring players through.

Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 10:08am

I do not mean to downplay Jac's creative ability which is clear for everyone to see from that disallowed try but when comparing their strengths I see Dan as the more constructive. He is certainly a lot quicker. For me Kennedy is the natural Shingler replacement rather than Casseim.
One thing for sure,if Dan leaves we are left with Jac,Josh and Kennedy on the right side of 30.In addition,Blade,Cubby and Shingler-all getting on and beset by injury/availability issues.

Posted By: Exkixu
Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 10:22am
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

Tough decision, but I agree. Ditto for Shingler, really (ducks for cover)

-------------
1 Xavier Rush   2 Rhys Priestland   3 David Lyons   Cardiff Blues - Scarlets, 26/09/09      

More carries than any of our forwards. Priestland Fan Club Proud Member

Posted By: EJPT
Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 10:48am
You cant keep everyone sadly, however it hasn’t always worked out when our youngsters move to the Ospreys. 

Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 10:51am
Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

You cant keep everyone sadly, however it hasn’t always worked out when our youngsters move to the Ospreys. 

I was thinking the same a moment ago when thinking of Boyde at the Blues. He doesn't seem to get the same plaudits as Botham, Robinson etc.

As I mentioned, we seem to excel in producing really promising players but we cannot hope to keep them all on our books. In truth it's no different to any working place, there may be 4 junior members of staff but only 1 senior post. So 1 or 2 junior staff will look to competitors for opportunities to become senior staff. 

Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 11:04am

I was thinking the same a moment ago when thinking of Boyde at the Blues. He doesn't seem to get the same plaudits as Botham, Robinson etc.

As I mentioned, we seem to excel in producing really promising players but we cannot hope to keep them all on our books. In truth it's no different to any working place, there may be 4 junior members of staff but only 1 senior post. So 1 or 2 junior staff will look to competitors for opportunities to become senior staff. 

Unfortunately it is different to any other work-place:nobody gets a gold watch after 30 years."It's a short career"is a constant refrain when contracts are negotiated,but too often in Wales that seems forgotten.

Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 11:21am

Unfortunately it is different to any other work-place:nobody gets a gold watch after 30 years."It's a short career"is a constant refrain when contracts are negotiated,but too often in Wales that seems forgotten.

I meant in terms of career development. Sometimes if you want to progress up the career ladder, you have to look elsewhere.

Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 11:32am

I meant in terms of career development. Sometimes if you want to progress up the career ladder, you have to look elsewhere.

Yes,in any other work-place the fact that your competitor for a promotion has many years'service can be a trigger to move elsewhere:in professional sport  should it not be an incentive to stay?

Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 11:37am

Yes,in any other work-place the fact that your competitor for a promotion has many years'service can be a trigger to move elsewhere:in professional sport  should it not be an incentive to stay?

As it stands Dan is 4th choice 7 for us behind Macloed, Cubby & Morgan (in no particular order).  If he sees himself as a 7 & that's where he wants to play then he may have to move to get game time. He would probably go straight in at 2nd best behind Tipuric at the Ospreys. 

Posted By: Dai Guevara
Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 11:45am
I'd hate to see Dan leave, especially to our "friends" on the dark side. As others have noted he is very quick for a forward, and we should certainly have given him some more time on the bench so that he could come on when the game is opening up and his pace would have been of the greatest use. As GPR noted in an earlier post he started out as an outside centre, another asset which should have given him more bench time, (perhaps under a 6-2 selection)
Before long the Sprays will be looking for someone to follow Tipuric and I'd be surprised if they haven't got a few prospects of their own lined up- there seems to be little shortage of quality open-sides in Wales.

Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 11:46am

As it stands Dan is 4th choice 7 for us behind Macloed, Cubby & Morgan (in no particular order).  If he sees himself as a 7 & that's where he wants to play then he may have to move to get game time. He would probably go straight in at 2nd best behind Tipuric at the Ospreys. 

I'd argue that,at this moment,he's second choice 7,but poor selection at 6 has denied him a chance.

Posted By: Mr Ian
Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 11:56am
If it s a loan for the rest of season should be right for the player who can have the right game time...
If it s a definetely move, I think should be' an error. We have different players that at the end of season will have decide what to do in their next future 

Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 12:00pm

I'd argue that,at this moment,he's second choice 7,but poor selection at 6 has denied him a chance.

That really would depend on where Josh wants to play. He has been correctly selected for the Welsh squad due to his outstanding performances at 7. The fantastic impact that Jac Morgan has made will have Dan correctly questioning his future. International/regional rugby at the moment invariably sees the 6 as another lineout option with ideally a carrying 8 and scavenging 7. If that 7 can also carry effectively - Josh & Ollie Griffiths spring to mind in the Welsh game then all the better. 

Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by Mr Ian Mr Ian wrote:

If it s a loan for the rest of season should be right for the player who can have the right game time...
If it s a definetely move, I think should be' an error. We have different players that at the end of season will have decide what to do in their next future 

Mr Ian you've solved the problem. A loan deal with be great for Dan and the Scarlets. 

Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 12:05pm

For me, he is behind Macloed & Morgan.

Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 12:13pm
Dan should take every opportunity presented to him. If thats with a rival so be it. Playing time is in his best interests he would be a welcome addition at the Ospreys as much as I hate to see it. I think he is at Swansea university anyhow, which the Scarlets and Ospreys partner with I believe. 

Posted By: Sosban89
Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 12:20pm
I don't really think anyone can moan about management if Dan goes. This has nothing to do with poor management, and rather a wealth of riches in a single position. When looking at cubby/Macleod, they would walk into most regions match day squads. You then have an inform Jac, so Dan is somehow 4th choice. 

I think the pragmatic approach would be to let Cubby go. Not because I think he's the worst of the 4, but it appears he is likely to be away with the Welsh squad more under Pivac. Due to this, it'd be better to have a younger less experienced player available all year around.

Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by Sosban89 Sosban89 wrote:

I don't really think anyone can moan about management if Dan goes. This has nothing to do with poor management, and rather a wealth of riches in a single position. When looking at cubby/Macleod, they would walk into most regions match day squads. You then have an inform Jac, so Dan is somehow 4th choice. 

I think the pragmatic approach would be to let Cubby go. Not because I think he's the worst of the 4, but it appears he is likely to be away with the Welsh squad more under Pivac. Due to this, it'd be better to have a younger less experienced player available all year around.
I think the chances of Cubby retaining his place with Wales is very slim especially when Ellis Jenkins returns and Olly Griffiths is fit.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 12:26pm

Originally posted by Sosban89 Sosban89 wrote:

I think the chances of Cubby retaining his place with Wales is very slim especially when Ellis Jenkins returns and Olly Griffiths is fit.

I agree there.

Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 12:28pm

That really would depend on where Josh wants to play. He has been correctly selected for the Welsh squad due to his outstanding performances at 7. The fantastic impact that Jac Morgan has made will have Dan correctly questioning his future. International/regional rugby at the moment invariably sees the 6 as another lineout option with ideally a carrying 8 and scavenging 7. If that 7 can also carry effectively - Josh & Ollie Griffiths spring to mind in the Welsh game then all the better. 
Not arguing with any of that,but Macleod hasn't been available.I believe,in terms of players currently on the books,our first choice back-row,taking into account all your observations,would be :Macleod,Morgan and Kal.That would leave Kennedy 2nd choice 6,Dan 2nd choice 7and Cassiem for 8(with Tuipolutu assuring the future).Cassiem,Shingler and Cubby,whatever we think of them,are not the future.Maybe Dan is not the future,but accommodating Cassiem at 6 has effectively denied him the chance of pushing his case from the bench.

Posted By: shocker
Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 12:33pm
I  would keep Dan Davies without a doubt, I would move someone else on before  him, he is different to the others, a link 7, aka James Davies, but with age and fitness on  his side.
Don't  want it to be another Josh  Adams situation.

Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 12:40pm

For me, he is behind Macloed & Morgan.
Macleod hasn't been available,and still isn't("at this moment")Dan's been 2nd choice 7 ,but not had a chance.

Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 12:40pm

Not arguing with any of that,but Macleod hasn't been available.I believe,in terms of players currently on the books,our first choice back-row,taking into account all your observations,would be :Macleod,Morgan and Kal.That would leave Kennedy 2nd choice 6,Dan 2nd choice 7and Cassiem for 8(with Tuipolutu assuring the future).Cassiem,Shingler and Cubby,whatever we think of them,are not the future.Maybe Dan is not the future,but accommodating Cassiem at 6 has effectively denied him the chance of pushing his case from the bench.

You are making some big assumptions though Dic. For one will Josh be happy at 6? Secondly how does that line up affect our set piece in particular the lineout? Kennedy, Blade & Aaron are stand out 6's with great lineout skills especially Aaron & Blade. With Josh or Jac at 6 that ability will be lost. Our set piece is struggling as it without taking away a good source of possession. 

Posted By: ScarletBear
Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 12:42pm

You are making some big assumptions though Dic. For one will Josh be happy at 6? Secondly how does that line up affect our set piece in particular the lineout? Kennedy, Blade & Aaron are stand out 6's with great lineout skills especially Aaron & Blade. With Josh or Jac at 6 that ability will be lost. Our set piece is struggling as it without taking away a good source of possession. 

Is the correct answer.

-------------
Scarlets before Wales

Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 12:42pm

Do you not see Josh as a lineout option?That's the crux,I think.

Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 12:44pm

Macleod hasn't been available,and still isn't("at this moment")Dan's been 2nd choice 7 ,but not had a chance.

If I was able to pick from any of the 7s right now it would be Macloed, Morgan, Davis, Cubby. The issue Dab has, is not many sides will pick an out & out 7 on the bench as back row cover, hence why Cassiem gets the nod more often than not.

I guess the long & short of it is whether Dan feels he can stay here & fight his way up the pecking order, or whether he wants to move to another side & go in there as a bonafide second choice who will play when the first choice is off with their international side. 

Posted By: stradeyscarlet72
Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 12:44pm
We have to be careful as rumours are out that we’re apparently losing six/seven players in January.  Also Cassiem is going at the end of the season.  

Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by stradeyscarlet72 stradeyscarlet72 wrote:

We have to be careful as rumours are out that we’re apparently losing six/seven players in January.  Also Cassiem is going at the end of the season.  

Any idea who? From that I guess that most of them would have gone at the end of the normal season had it finished in June, so would have been 6 month extensions?

Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 12:49pm

Yes its an important point. Aaron & Blade and to a lesser extent Kennedy are natural lineout athletes. I do not see Josh in that role but it certainly could be tested. Regions are under huge financial pressures and will be looking at reducing squads to a minimum. Any fat is going to be cut and so I see us losing some players - hooker & back row are areas of strength at the moment. Is it ideal - no but we are not living in an ideal world. 

Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 12:55pm

Yes its an important point. Aaron & Blade and to a lesser extent Kennedy are natural lineout athletes. I do not see Josh in that role but it certainly could be tested. Regions are under huge financial pressures and will be looking at reducing squads to a minimum. Any fat is going to be cut and so I see us losing some players - hooker & back row are areas of strength at the moment. Is it ideal - no but we are not living in an ideal world. 

Yep.I think Macleod is a fantasticback-row player,comfortable at 6,7 or 8.Restricting his selection to open-side wouldn't be in the best interest of the club or the player.I believe he could do the job in the lineout.

Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 1:19pm

MacLeod his often used in the lineout.

Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 1:24pm
I wonder if this talk has started now that we know Shingler is making a come back, I can't have been the only one who heard that he wouldn't be able to train again let alone play...

Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 1:32pm
Well we are yet to see Aaron play. He is a favourite of mine and i really hope that he makes a successful comeback. He could give us another couple of very good years as I don't think he will feature for Wales. His lineout work alone make him a shoe in in my selections but I am admittedly biased. As Wales are finding out if you don't get your set piece spot on you can forgot everything else. 

A back row of Aaron, Sione and Josh with Blade on the bench would be my perfect choice. 

Posted By: ChrisX
Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 1:35pm
We need to be keeping Dan, alongside Jac, Josh, Carwyn its a good and young back row in waiting.

Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 1:48pm

Well we are yet to see Aaron play. He is a favourite of mine and i really hope that he makes a successful comeback. He could give us another couple of very good years as I don't think he will feature for Wales. His lineout work alone make him a shoe in in my selections but I am admittedly biased. As Wales are finding out if you don't get your set piece spot on you can forgot everything else. 

A back row of Aaron, Sione and Josh with Blade on the bench would be my perfect choice. 

In which case we might well end up losing Morgan...

Posted By: stradeyscarlet72
Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 1:50pm
It was mentioned recently but didn’t specify who.  Apparently uzair had told his children’s teacher that they were going back to South Africa ?   I hope not as he’s been immense. 

Posted By: RR1972
Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 2:14pm
disappointing news for us but entirely understandable for him

he will be second choice at the ospreys (where their first choice is away for a lot of the season)  as opposed to 4th choice here , he doesn't need to move home and he will probably get a  pay rise.

If he goes and does well he can always come back here in a season or two, must be really frustrating for our squad players not in the 23 with no premiership games to play in  

Train all week and then no game time

We need more regional a game fixtures for players like Dan and Costello etc

Posted By: Sandman
Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 2:22pm
Hopefully this rumour isn’t true, although I wouldn’t blame Dan as he’s a professional rugby player and needs game time to process his career. I’m a big fan of Dan’s, probably more so than Jac Morgan. That’s a big compliment for Dan as Jac is playing superbly at the moment and growing well into a quality professional. For me, Dan just has that something extra. 

-------------
Only one team plays in red. (Sorry, Scarlet)

Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by Sandman Sandman wrote:

Hopefully this rumour isn’t true, although I wouldn’t blame Dan as he’s a professional rugby player and needs game time to process his career. I’m a big fan of Dan’s, probably more so than Jac Morgan. That’s a big compliment for Dan as Jac is playing superbly at the moment and growing well into a quality professional. For me, Dan just has that something extra. 

Both are more than capable of becoming full Internationals.

Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by Sandman Sandman wrote:

I think Dan could be the heir to Aaron at 6, he reminds me a lot of Shingler. 

Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 6:00pm

let's hope it's some of the internationals we never see.

Posted By: Wasp
Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 6:21pm

That doesn't ring true. Players have contracts that they won't just walk away from mid-season, so we'd have to have someone else to take them on. 

I'd be surprised

-------------
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh

Posted By: Eastern outpost
Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

That doesn't ring true. Players have contracts that they won't just walk away from mid-season, so we'd have to have someone else to take them on. 

I'd be surprised
Absolutely.

Why January?

Off to a different hemisphere and/or Japan?

You could understand Uzair, much as we’d like him to remain a “permanent” fixture with us. Maybe you could find another name or two for those destinations. Six or seven seems to be stretching the point.

As Wasp says, our guys are contracted until the end of June. There might be some pay-offs to leave early though they’re likely to be headed to those very same destinations, where their game, financially, is far from being in great shape. 

-------------
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.

Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

I'd be surprised
Absolutely.

Why January?

You could understand Uzair, much as we’d like him to remain a “permanent” fixture with us. Maybe you could find another name or two for those destinations. Six or seven seems to be stretching the point.

As Wasp says, our guys are contracted until the end of June. There might be some pay-offs to leave early though they’re likely to be headed to those very same destinations, where their game, financially, is far from being in great shape. 
Don't get me wrong. The medium term goal of the club is to carry a smaller squad, play more of our games with the first team etc. All that needs the season structure to change though, which won't happen before 22/23. 
However the board won't be able to achieve its other aim of attracting more investment partners from further afield if we aren't competitive in the short term. I don't see us losing many of our 1st-3rd choice players mid season. Despite the dodgy start to the P14, I think we're still in with a decent chance of playoffs this year.

We're still investing in facilities, there's a new all weather training facility to be built at the Parc, so I hear, in addition to the Barn

-------------

Posted By: Boisbach
Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 8:48pm
I'm sure it's January time players who are coming out of contract are told their services are no longer required for the following season.

Posted By: Eastern outpost
Date Posted: 17 November 2020 at 8:49pm

Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

I'd be surprised
Absolutely.

Why January?

Don't get me wrong. The medium term goal of the club is to carry a smaller squad, play more of our games with the first team etc. All that needs the season structure to change though, which won't happen before 22/23. 
However the board won't be able to achieve its other aim of attracting more investment partners from further afield if we aren't competitive in the short term. I don't see us losing many of our 1st-3rd choice players mid season. Despite the dodgy start to the P14, I think we're still in with a decent chance of playoffs this year.

We're still investing in facilities, there's a new all weather training facility to be built at the Parc, so I hear, in addition to the Barn
No inkling of you being wrong. You’re one of the sharpest posters on here.

I’m trying to see the logic of it all AngryConfusedCry

I can’t.

You’re totally right in us needing to remain competitive to retain sponsorship let alone attract new sponsors.

The smaller squad can only work if the season is better aligned. Yet, the top players can’t play all those internationals and European cup ties plus the league game. They will wear out. Plus you have to find fixtures to bring through your other talent. So, maybe the squad reduction will be smaller than otherwise because the lack of a sensibly integrated calendar makes it impossible. 

Even with a fully integrated calendar, the squad reduction is likely to be less than a financial controller might drool over.

-------------
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.

Date Posted: 18 November 2020 at 11:16am
We'll still have a 2 tier squad and our internationals will still probably only play derbies, Europe, playoffs and other key fixtures near the end of league campaign.

The hope is that we won't have to have a 3 tier squad.

There's no avoiding the conclusion that there will be less club games in a year

-------------

Posted By: PE SA
Date Posted: 18 November 2020 at 12:58pm
Who's out of contract? Are we in a position to bring in NWQs instead?

Fact of the matter is its great to have Welsh internationals signing for us. Fact is, Liam Williams is coming up to 12 months a scarlet player come beginning of the 6N was it? He's played one game for us. 

Depending who's out of contract, ideally we can bring in a NWQ loosehead, NWQ tighthead, NWQ backrower (if Dan Davis and Cassiem are going along with Cubby and Shingler getting on), NWQ scrum half and NWQ centre and back 3.

We need a consistency in the side during internationals and when the internationals return. I think we may see or, or at least I believe we need a shift in recruitment. We will always produce local talent. But we also lose a lot for majority of the season. We need a strong spine to the starting 15 that the youngsters play alongside and learn from and a spine that sees the internationals easily slot in on their return. Will it happen? Doubt it... But I do hope. 

Posted By: ChrisX
Date Posted: 18 November 2020 at 1:30pm
Looking at the players we have, and lets hope most will be retained, main area to strengthen, with international call ups in mind is front row, given we could be missing upto 6 players there, Rob, Wyn, Ken, Ryan, Samson...

2 new props if Kruger is finishing? 

Date Posted: 18 November 2020 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by ChrisX ChrisX wrote:

Looking at the players we have, and lets hope most will be retained, main area to strengthen, with international call ups in mind is front row, given we could be missing upto 6 players there, Rob, Wyn, Ken, Ryan, Samson...

2 new props if Kruger is finishing? 

And also Will Gruff John if rumours are lead to be believed. 

Posted By: RR1972
Date Posted: 18 November 2020 at 2:22pm
the squad needs to be balanced, it is pointless having too many welsh test players especially in this covid world, you simply don't get enough games out of them

ok we are only paying 20% of liam , foxy etc wages but how many games will they play? , 10 to 12 maximum?

Then you have guys like hardy , cubby and jonny w who are now away for a month or more and will be the same in the 6 nations period (are we paying their wages in full?).

We are struggling as we are not only losing our first xv players to wales but their back ups as well , the likes of ken and josh will be called up when fit and I can see rob evans being in the mix to come 6 nations time

Our best value players at present are the nwq guys who are here all season long eg asquith

Date Posted: 18 November 2020 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

the squad needs to be balanced, it is pointless having too many welsh test players especially in this covid world, you simply don't get enough games out of them

ok we are only paying 20% of liam , foxy etc wages but how many games will they play? , 10 to 12 maximum?

Then you have guys like hardy , cubby and jonny w who are now away for a month or more and will be the same in the 6 nations period (are we paying their wages in full?).

We are struggling as we are not only losing our first xv players to wales but their back ups as well , the likes of ken and josh will be called up when fit and I can see rob evans being in the mix to come 6 nations time

Our best value players at present are the nwq guys who are here all season long eg asquith

I agree, we are missing our 3 first choice 15's through international call ups.

Date Posted: 18 November 2020 at 2:45pm
Not releasing players makes the situation worse. Surely our board, through the PRB, are making the position clear. The situation is dire. Liam, for instance, was on a reported £400K when he came back. Reduce that by 25% due to covid gives £300K 20% of which we meet = £60K. Give me Tom Rogers and Tomi Lewis any day ahead of Liam under the present arrangements. 

Date Posted: 18 November 2020 at 3:07pm
Problem is also we brought in a fair few new zealanders who are good enough for Wales and Scotland etc 

Date Posted: 18 November 2020 at 5:27pm
Its funny that while we know why we need overseas players to backfill the internationals (which is as a result of us being sol good in developing players), when we do so we get scathed on the internet for not developing local boys. Are people that stupid (some of whom are Scarlet supporters) that they dont understand why its needed? Do we think Sale fans say the same when they sign their umpteenth Bok? Doubt it, they see it as a way of winning things

-------------

Date Posted: 18 November 2020 at 5:30pm

It was mentioned recently but didn’t specify who.  Apparently uzair had told his children’s teacher that they were going back to South Africa ?   I hope not as he’s been immense. 
And the guy that posted that writes drivel a lot of the time

-------------

Date Posted: 18 November 2020 at 5:33pm

No we have to be careful not to believe these rumours as most are started to unsettle us. Dan Davis leaving suddenly its 6 or 7. Lets be honest though, we could lose 6 or 7 and not realise it with the squad we have, cant keep them all....

-------------

Posted By: BlackwoodScarlet
Date Posted: 18 November 2020 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by supertaf supertaf wrote:

Are you on about me ?

-------------
If it bleeds we can can kill it

Date Posted: 18 November 2020 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by BlackwoodScarlet BlackwoodScarlet wrote:

Originally posted by supertaf supertaf wrote:

Are you on about me ?
Doubt it, it was on Facebook (really shouldnt read it but its like a car crash).

-------------

Posted By: Owen111
Date Posted: 18 November 2020 at 7:04pm
Wouldn’t be surprised if a few of the young boys not getting a chance are tempted. When you see all the other regions playing the young lads it doesn’t help us ! 

And the lack of A games 

D Davies and O Knott come to mind. 

Date Posted: 18 November 2020 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by Owen111 Owen111 wrote:

Wouldn’t be surprised if a few of the young boys not getting a chance are tempted. When you see all the other regions playing the young lads it doesn’t help us ! 

And the lack of A games 

Osian has just come back from a big knee injury so hopefully we’ll see him soon. 

Posted By: BlackwoodScarlet
Date Posted: 18 November 2020 at 7:21pm

And the lack of A games 

I'd say the other regions are playing the same number of youngsters as us

-------------
If it bleeds we can can kill it

Date Posted: 18 November 2020 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

Fact of the matter is its great to have Welsh internationals signing for us. Fact is, Liam Williams is coming up to 12 months a scarlet player come beginning of the 6N was it? He's played one game for us. 

Depending who's out of contract, ideally we can bring in a NWQ loosehead, NWQ tighthead, NWQ backrower (if Dan Davis and Cassiem are going along with Cubby and Shingler getting on), NWQ scrum half and NWQ centre and back 3.

We need a consistency in the side during internationals and when the internationals return. I think we may see or, or at least I believe we need a shift in recruitment. We will always produce local talent. But we also lose a lot for majority of the season. We need a strong spine to the starting 15 that the youngsters play alongside and learn from and a spine that sees the internationals easily slot in on their return. Will it happen? Doubt it... But I do hope. 
Nigel and the board made an art out of maximising funding from Wales. We have an £8m squad. At least £2m ahead of any other region. If we are to compete at the latter stages of Europe, we need some of the best players in the world, and loaning them out to Wales for 40% of the year while paying 80% of the wages is a decent strategy, albeit it's backfired this year. No one would have foreseen that.

I've no doubt at all that Glenn's methods will soon click and we will remain as the top performing Welsh side for the next season or two at least. 

-------------

Date Posted: 18 November 2020 at 8:13pm

And the lack of A games 

This season inthe Pro 14,Morgan, Booth and Costelow 20, Conbeer,Rogers, Jac Price and Morgan Jones aged 21 and Blacker 22 have  all had  gametime .

Looking forward to seeing Knott when fit, Costelow who should have had more action and Dan Davis who as the pace  and footballing ability to cover flanker and wing from the bench . I  hope Dan gets his chance, we cannot afford to lose a home produced player,so young and so talented .

Date Posted: 18 November 2020 at 10:23pm

And the lack of A games 

This season inthe Pro 14,Morgan, Booth and Costelow 20, Conbeer,Rogers, Jac Price and Morgan Jones aged 21 and Blacker 22 have  all had  gametime .

Looking forward to seeing Knott when fit, Costelow who should have had more action and Dan Davis who as the pace  and footballing ability to cover flanker and wing from the bench . I  hope Dan gets his chance, we cannot afford to lose a home produced player,so young and so talented .
Yeah but if you were Dan why would you stay at the Scarlets? If he goes to the Ospreys he’s automatically second choice which technically makes him first choice as Tipuric will be away much of the season. Plus the Scarlets will obviously needs to scale back on their spending which means tough decisions will have to be made.

-------------

Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 19 November 2020 at 5:07am
Shame to see the lad go, but we know we simply can't retain everyone. The emergence of Jac at a time when Dan was playing his way back to fitness has probably sealed it, plus the O's best option for a 7 right now is Lydiate.
I sense he will go and do very well.

The other consideration is that every region will have to cut their cloth according to their means, and we have a pretty big playing squad.

Date Posted: 19 November 2020 at 7:42am
Finances do not allow us to keep all our talent & covid means that we cannot give everyone enough opportunity. It is soul destroying for a professional athlete to train all week, live an athletes lifestyle and not get to perform. 

Dan will probably leave and I will blame nobody for that. He will flourish at the Ospreys & will push Jac Morgan all the way for a senior call up. 

Date Posted: 19 November 2020 at 7:59am

Nigel and the board made an art out of maximising funding from Wales. We have an £8m squad. At least £2m ahead of any other region. If we are to compete at the latter stages of Europe, we need some of the best players in the world, and loaning them out to Wales for 40% of the year while paying 80% of the wages is a decent strategy, albeit it's backfired this year. No one would have foreseen that.

I've no doubt at all that Glenn's methods will soon click and we will remain as the top performing Welsh side for the next season or two at least. 
It worked to a point but when you are missing your line up plus 2nd choice hooker and 9 it makes it near impossible to compete consistently. 
Its got to a point now where internationals barely play. If the current structure doesn't change we need to start signing quality NWQs. As I mentioed, I'd say another 3 at least. Props, Scrum Half, Centre, back 3.id settle for one prop, 9 and centre though. We are showing this year exactly what we are missing. If the structure does change where we actually get to see the internationals then great. But I can't see it happening anymore and I also see CVC walking away even as I don't think they will manage to crack rugby. Too many hangers on with too much self interest.the game will never grow. 
So if the current structure is here to stay we need a spine of quality NWQs to keep challenging.

Look back to the season we won the league... It was a consistent side week in week out. That's what last year has taken away, this year has taken away, and now probably next year and year after with lions and World Cup coming up again. 

The good thing about the rugby side of the last 2 year is it has shown us exactly where the squad is and where we need to strengthen... We get a prop that's around all year, a quality 9 so the young 9s and 10s can benefit from, a Parkes type 12 to all go along side Lousi and Kalamafoni, we will be in a decent place to slot in youngsters around them and internationals on their return. Jac Morgan showing what can be done alongside the right ones. Morgan Rees with Lousi... We need a few more now imo.
Theres little point strengthening tighthead IMO with WGJ to put us at a weaker point than this year during internationals as Kruger probably won't be here... So Sebastian and OConnor only available tightheads. Madness. 

Date Posted: 19 November 2020 at 8:00am

Finances do not allow us to keep all our talent & covid means that we cannot give everyone enough opportunity. It is soul destroying for a professional athlete to train all week, live an athletes lifestyle and not get to perform. 

Dan will probably leave and I will blame nobody for that. He will flourish at the Ospreys & will push Jac Morgan all the way for a senior call up. 
Agree. If he is to leave all the best... But I do see in the future Jac Morgan, Dan Davis and Josh Macleod lining up together. All with the ability to play 6,7,8.

Date Posted: 19 November 2020 at 8:32am

Agree. If he is to leave all the best... But I do see in the future Jac Morgan, Dan Davis and Josh Macleod lining up together. All with the ability to play 6,7,8.

Dan strikes me as a 6 in the making, however there is a part of me wondering if the rumours have surfaced because Shingler is now on the comeback trail as previously it was thought he wouldn't be back at all...

Date Posted: 19 November 2020 at 8:42am
Don't see Dan as a 6 at all. He is, for me, an out and out 7 with pace and hands. Of all our 7's currently I think Josh could be the best 6 but even he is not in the Aaron, Blade or Kennedy mould. I still see Josh as a real effective 8 along the lines of Navidi. 

Posted By: Jones2004
Date Posted: 19 November 2020 at 10:07am
Don’t see either Jac or Dan as a 6 personally. Would love for Dan to stay however I wouldn’t blame anyone if he did leave. I wonder if loaning him to the Ospreys could be an option, would strengthen their options for the season while allowing us to keep him on our books in case something changes next season.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net