Forum Description: Team News, Season Tickets, Next Match
URL: http://www.scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=46068
Printed Date: 28 January 2021 at 9:34am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: European campaign
Posted By: GPR - Rochester
Subject: European campaign
Date Posted: 22 November 2020 at 8:59am
I have already written off this season's chances due to enforced structure of our season. It appears that many of our star players - Liam, McNichol, Foxy & Patchell will be lucky to feature in our first game. Frankly only one of them has shown any sort of form this season and that really is only one game for Johnny. All 4 should have been allowed to play for us over the past 3/4 games instead of being rushed back into action. It is no surprise that guys like Hardy & Johnny Williams, who have had no real fitness issues, had strong games yesterday.

Lets hope that Wyn, Ryan, Samson & Jake come back to us in one piece so at least our forward effort will be strong with Louisi, Blade, Sione and Jac Morgan joining them with Rob, Taylor, Javan, Tex ( hopefully) & Kennedy on the bench. 

Replies:
Posted By: ChrisX
Date Posted: 22 November 2020 at 12:20pm
We have at least 2 international fixtures to get through before I can start thinking of Europe. 

I hope that we use a bit of both, some players have really put their hands up and dont deserve to be 'dropped' simply because someone like Fox is back, if fit.

We all know Liam, Foxy, Cubby, Patchell need game time. 

Posted By: turkishrebel
Date Posted: 23 November 2020 at 9:50am
do we realistically believe we will have any of our welsh players for the bath game and then toulon? only 7 days after the last international (who we dont know who will have yet). 
if we lose to england as i expect does that mean we are down the bottom of this tournement and then may have fiji who cant play any games, therefore weekend off?  or am i missing something.

-------------
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!

Posted By: greypower1
Date Posted: 23 November 2020 at 9:56am
Originally posted by turkishrebel turkishrebel wrote:

do we realistically believe we will have any of our welsh players for the bath game and then toulon? only 7 days after the last international (who we dont know who will have yet). 
if we lose to england as i expect does that mean we are down the bottom of this tournement and then may have fiji who cant play any games, therefore weekend off?  or am i missing something.

Would any of them get into our side?😋

-------------
Keep the faith

Posted By: Fscarlet
Date Posted: 23 November 2020 at 9:58am

No, we will play Italy as they will be the 3rd placed team in the other pool.

Date Posted: 23 November 2020 at 10:12am
thanks fscarlet, just checked now. 

-------------

Date Posted: 23 November 2020 at 10:14am

thanks fscarlet, just checked now. 

Mind they are in good form the Italians, in the last 12 months or so they have drawn 0-0 with New Zealand & beaten Fiji 28-0.... their defence has certainly stepped up LOL

Posted By: Mr Ian
Date Posted: 23 November 2020 at 10:26am
You are joking,  but some federals believe this is true...

Date Posted: 23 November 2020 at 10:42am
Originally posted by Mr Ian Mr Ian wrote:

You are joking,  but some federals believe this is true...

Haha it's in the record books.

Date Posted: 23 November 2020 at 10:53am
I think it all hinges on this weekend really, we need Wyn, Samson & Jake to come through unscathed as I don't think they will feature in the final game against Italy. I'm going to be hiding behind the sofa Saturday afternoon I think!

Date Posted: 23 November 2020 at 11:56am
lets hope so Fscarlet. how is foxey? will they risk him on saturday? would rather the centres from saturday have another go. johnny mcnicholl probably out  for england game but hopefully ok for us (selfish) and with adams coming back with liam and halfpenny thats probably back 3 done.
would like pivac to pick as many non scarlets for these games (even more selfish). 

-------------

Posted By: RR1972
Date Posted: 23 November 2020 at 12:06pm

lets hope so Fscarlet. how is foxey? will they risk him on saturday? would rather the centres from saturday have another go. johnny mcnicholl probably out  for england game but hopefully ok for us (selfish) and with adams coming back with liam and halfpenny thats probably back 3 done.
would like pivac to pick as many non scarlets for these games (even more selfish). 

if he's done his rib cartilage hell be out for a while, it's very painful and really limits your mobility

I'd guess well go with

halfpenny liam stef
jonny w foxy
patchell Cawdor

wyn elias lee
ball louisi
blade sione and morgan

If everyone is fit although asquith  hardy conibeer   McLeod and rob evans will all be in the mix as well

Date Posted: 23 November 2020 at 12:09pm

I'm not sure, but whether he is fit or not, I'd be inclined to give the 2 centres from Saturday a game because we need to start planning for not having the likes of Foxy, Biggar etc. I don't think Sanjay can play given the stitches he has had so I think it will be something like:

Wyn, Dee, Lee
Ball, AWJ
Wainwright, Navidi, Faletau (going on Tipuric being unavailable).
L.Williams, Sheedy
J.Williams, Tompkins
Adams, Halfpenny, Ree-Zammit

Though I do think he will parachute North in there somehow.

Posted By: John
Date Posted: 23 November 2020 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

if he's done his rib cartilage hell be out for a while, it's very painful and really limits your mobility

I'd guess well go with

halfpenny liam stef
jonny w foxy
patchell Cawdor

wyn elias lee
ball louisi
blade sione and morgan

If everyone is fit although asquith  hardy conibeer   McLeod and rob evans will all be in the mix as well

Rib cartilage  injuries are screaming agony for a week, then really painful for the next week and then sore for a third week. And that should be the end of the injury. However in Johnny's case its apparently a recurrence of a previous injury so he may be out for rather longer.

Posted By: GPR - Rochester
Date Posted: 23 November 2020 at 1:03pm

I'd guess well go with

halfpenny liam stef
jonny w foxy
patchell Cawdor

wyn elias lee
ball louisi
blade sione and morgan

Don't see Foxy making the European games. In reality at the moment I would pick Asquith & Tyler ahead of him on form even if he is fit. Likewise Patchell has it all to do to be ready. I would start with Costelow. He knows no fear and plays what is ahead of him especially if we have Halfpenny to take the pressure of him with goalkicking. 

Posted By: Sosban89
Date Posted: 23 November 2020 at 8:00pm
What sort of sport is set up so that clubs elite players aren't around to play in the elite tournament, and instead are off playing international friendlies against barely pro nations. It's embarrassing for the sport.

Posted By: EJPT
Date Posted: 23 November 2020 at 8:18pm
Tyler Morgan ran hard when he came on. It feels like a real battle for that starting centre spot. I prefer Asquith to Williams at the moment also. 

Posted By: scarletsrules
Date Posted: 23 November 2020 at 10:57pm
Our trip to Bath is likely to have 2000-4000 fans allowed in. And quite possibly our home game vs Toulon could have 2000-4000 fans in attendance should the Welsh government follow the UK government .

Posted By: scarletnut
Date Posted: 23 November 2020 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by scarletsrules scarletsrules wrote:

Our trip to Bath is likely to have tel:2000-4000" rel="nofollow - 2000-4000 fans allowed in. And quite possibly our home game vs Toulon could have tel:2000-4000" rel="nofollow - 2000-4000 fans in attendance should the Welsh government follow the UK government .

The Welsh government are very unlikely to follow Westminster I’d say

-------------
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1

Date Posted: 24 November 2020 at 9:02am
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Our trip to Bath is likely to have tel:2000-4000" rel="nofollow - 2000-4000 fans allowed in. And quite possibly our home game vs Toulon could have tel:2000-4000" rel="nofollow - 2000-4000 fans in attendance should the Welsh government follow the UK government .

I read somewhere yesterday that they were looking to follow the uk government but waiting for the guidance etc from the government before deciding about wales

Posted By: Mrfwon
Date Posted: 24 November 2020 at 10:26am

The Scottish government however, like to do one better than the English government, and will probably allow 4000-8000 fans LOLLOLLOL 

-------------
Guinness Pro 12 Champions 2017...get in!

Posted By: ScarletBear
Date Posted: 24 November 2020 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by Mrfwon Mrfwon wrote:

The Scottish government however, like to do one better than the English government, and will probably allow 4000-8000 fans LOLLOLLOL 

Or 2001-4001 fans. Tongue

-------------
Scarlets before Wales

Posted By: Legendinmybathroom
Date Posted: 24 November 2020 at 6:06pm
They will have to move their games to the outer Hebrides then as most of their cities are under tier 4 or 5 restrictions.

Posted By: supertaf
Date Posted: 25 November 2020 at 9:51am

Which is where I despair with Drakeford. Ive supported him despite him being on occasions like someones grandad but if every other country has fans and we are like the poor people looking through the windows, I cant agree with it.

-------------
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872

Date Posted: 25 November 2020 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by supertaf supertaf wrote:

Which is where I despair with Drakeford. Ive supported him despite him being on occasions like someones grandad but if every other country has fans and we are like the poor people looking through the windows, I cant agree with it.

There are discussions regarding sports and fans being held on Monday, fingers crossed for good news, apparently the welsh regions are going to push to allow fans into european games, WRU have no plans to host any fans next weekend

Posted By: Eastern outpost
Date Posted: 25 November 2020 at 6:03pm

Originally posted by supertaf supertaf wrote:

There are discussions regarding sports and fans being held on Monday, fingers crossed for good news, apparently the welsh regions are going to push to allow fans into european games, WRU have no plans to host any fans next weekend
The regions can’t rely on the WRU to lobby the govt/assembly for anything sensible. Hopefully, the PRB can do their job for them.

-------------
Any offence taken on board is only a literate/cy consequence. Every attempt at humour is just that. No personal insult intended. Standards lowered for trolls.

Posted By: saundersfootscarlets
Date Posted: 25 November 2020 at 6:09pm

Our trip to Bath is likely to have 2000-4000 fans allowed in. And quite possibly our home game vs Toulon could have 2000-4000 fans in attendance should the Welsh government follow the UK government .

A few articles about this and apparently a meeting on Monday with possibly the Toulon game on the 18th being the first home game with fans being allowed -fingers crossed 😀😀

-------------
saundersfoot scarlets

Posted By: SA14
Date Posted: 25 November 2020 at 9:00pm
I hope they don’t start leaving fans it. Ridiculous enough having the 5 days do as you want at Xmas. 

Date Posted: 25 November 2020 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

I hope they don’t start leaving fans it. Ridiculous enough having the 5 days do as you want at Xmas. 

Nobody will be forced to go to the games. The ones who want to go and will be lucky enough to get a ticket will be the ones who attend.
If someone doesn't feel it safe to go then don't go.
The trial events in England before October and the games in Northern Ireland which have had spectators have proven how it can be done safely

Date Posted: 26 November 2020 at 7:26pm

Nobody will be forced to go to the games. The ones who want to go and will be lucky enough to get a ticket will be the ones who attend.
The trial events in England before October and the games in Northern Ireland which have had spectators have proven how it can be done safely

That doesn’t really make sense. It’s not a case of the choice of an individual feeling safe. They could carry the virus onto others. 

Date Posted: 26 November 2020 at 7:34pm

It's a balancing act though isn't it? If crowds don't come back soon then clubs will fold meaning thousands of people lose their jobs. That will cause health issues in itself.

-------------
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1

Date Posted: 27 November 2020 at 8:17am
2000 Bath fans will be in attendance for our game

Date Posted: 27 November 2020 at 8:20am

That doesn’t really make sense. It’s not a case of the choice of an individual feeling safe. They could carry the virus onto others. 

Theres no reason this cant be safely dont, if you can fit 2000 fans into PYS amongst the 4 stands, there should be no health danger, if everyone uses their common sense and keeps their distance from people not with them

Date Posted: 27 November 2020 at 8:39am
We need to be cautious, fans were allowed into the kingspan stadium on The weekend for the game, what I saw on TV was the majority acting responsibly but I also saw small groups sitting together and celebrating when Ulster scored.  They may have been in their bubbles but I doubt if they were all in their correct bubbles.
It may be a coincidence, but Ulster and Scarlets have both had positive tests since last weekend’s match.

Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 27 November 2020 at 9:32am

Theres no reason this cant be safely dont, if you can fit 2000 fans into PYS amongst the 4 stands, there should be no health danger, if everyone uses their common sense and keeps their distance from people not with them
That’s a big IF mind for some . Perhaps if the bars were shut it might work and it was an early not late afternoon kick off so pre match boozing time was reduced. It’s very risky though and is it really worth it?🤔

-------------
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook

Posted By: Dic Penderyn
Date Posted: 27 November 2020 at 9:38am
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

That’s a big IF mind for some . Perhaps if the bars were shut it might work and it was an early not late afternoon kick off so pre match boozing time was reduced. It’s very risky though and is it really worth it?🤔
The way things are going in Wales,I don't think there'll be any change soon.

Date Posted: 27 November 2020 at 9:42am
Originally posted by Dic Penderyn Dic Penderyn wrote:

The way things are going in Wales,I don't think there'll be any change soon.

Rates are falling by all accounts.

Date Posted: 27 November 2020 at 10:47am

Are we going to keep crowds away forever? 

-------------

Date Posted: 27 November 2020 at 11:08am
can;'t see drakeford going for it until at least easter after the vaccine has been started to be rolled out

I reckon it'll be next season before we see decent sized live gates at grounds

Posted By: thommo
Date Posted: 27 November 2020 at 11:43am

can;'t see drakeford going for it until at least easter after the vaccine has been started to be rolled out

I reckon it'll be next season before we see decent sized live gates at grounds
What if the vaccination programme is not suitable for this mutating virus?
The time to move on imo has passed. 

Date Posted: 27 November 2020 at 12:04pm
We cant keep fans away from stadiums for the next year, they need to trial it and if it turns out that an outbreak is linked to one of these games where a crowd has been present then im sure they will then decide that it is not worth the risk , but if they close the terrace and have everyone in seats scattered around then why wouldnt it work? get the security on the case if they see people breaking rules, you cant go to the bar to order you have to download the app on your phone, theres ways around it

Date Posted: 27 November 2020 at 12:18pm

We cant keep fans away from stadiums for the next year, they need to trial it and if it turns out that an outbreak is linked to one of these games where a crowd has been present then im sure they will then decide that it is not worth the risk , but if they close the terrace and have everyone in seats scattered around then why wouldnt it work? get the security on the case if they see people breaking rules, you cant go to the bar to order you have to download the app on your phone, theres ways around it

I agree I just don't see drakeford going for it even less chance of the bars being open in the ground

Date Posted: 27 November 2020 at 3:49pm

I agree I just don't see drakeford going for it even less chance of the bars being open in the ground

After his announcement today i would be surprised

Date Posted: 27 November 2020 at 6:03pm

And there lies the problem. This pandemic has shown that a lot of people have no common sense whatsoever. That’s why we’re still in this position. 

Posted By: Bys Meri Ann
Date Posted: 27 November 2020 at 6:25pm
Referees have been announced for the first 2 rounds of the Champions Cup:

Bath v Scarlets 12 Dec - Alexandre Ruiz (Fr)

Scarlets v Toulon 18 Dec - Wayne Barnes (Eng)

Our home game against Bath in round 4 (23 Jan) will be the live game on Channel 4 that weekend and fingers crossed we'll still be in the mix by then. Shame we haven't got Leinster before the European campaign to see where we're at and to carry on the good work after the Ulster game.

Date Posted: 27 November 2020 at 6:39pm
Not having a game before Bath could be a problem, but some of our squad have played a lot of club rugby already, so the break might be good for them.  It will also give us the time needed for them to self isolate.
A game against Leinster with an already depleted squad depleted even more due to some positive COVID results and subsequent self isolations could have proved very damaging ahead of european matches (based on result) just as the signs are starting to look good.

Posted By: roy munster
Date Posted: 27 November 2020 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

I'd guess well go with

halfpenny liam stef
jonny w foxy
patchell Cawdor

wyn elias lee
ball louisi
blade sione and morgan

Don't see Foxy making the European games. In reality at the moment I would pick Asquith & Tyler ahead of him on form even if he is fit. Likewise Patchell has it all to do to be ready. I would start with Costelow. He knows no fear and plays what is ahead of him especially if we have Halfpenny to take the pressure of him with goalkicking. 

patchell has looked good in patches, no pun intended. poor old foxy needs time to see if he can get fitness back and to see if he can still compete at this level after the major injuries

-------------
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)

Posted By: townboy
Date Posted: 27 November 2020 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

I'd guess well go with

halfpenny liam stef
jonny w foxy
patchell Cawdor

wyn elias lee
ball louisi
blade sione and morgan

patchell has looked good in patches, no pun intended. poor old foxy needs time to see if he can get fitness back and to see if he can still compete at this level after the major injuries

Selection now would also depend who has contracted Covid,as they would have to isolate for 14 days..then their contact 10 days 

Posted By: Jones2004
Date Posted: 27 November 2020 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by Bys Meri Ann Bys Meri Ann wrote:

Our home game against Bath in round 4 (23 Jan) will be the live game on Channel 4 that weekend and fingers crossed we'll still be in the mix by then. Shame we haven't got Leinster before the European campaign to see where we're at and to carry on the good work after the Ulster game.
Don’t know anything about the French ref. Is he one if the better ones or a comparative newbie? Wayne Barnes is normally very good so glad we have him over any of the Irish refs.

Date Posted: 27 November 2020 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by Jones2004 Jones2004 wrote:

Don’t know anything about the French ref. Is he one if the better ones or a comparative newbie? Wayne Barnes is normally very good so glad we have him over any of the Irish refs.
Ruiz is a decent ref. 

In the past, he was inclined to be a bit fussy. I think that’s no longer the case.

He did deny us a win v Saracens by not giving Foxy the turnover penalty with the clock red. Instead, he gave it to them and they scored a try for the draw and conversion to win it, or have I got that last bit wrong?

-------------
Any offence taken on board is only a literate/cy consequence. Every attempt at humour is just that. No personal insult intended. Standards lowered for trolls.

Posted By: ap sior
Date Posted: 27 November 2020 at 8:52pm

Last time Barnes was at the Parc, we beat Toulon and got to the SF. 

Good omen, perhaps??? 

Posted By: ap sior
Date Posted: 27 November 2020 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

[QUOTE=Bys Meri Ann]Referees have been announced for the first 2 rounds of the Champions Cup:

Ruiz is a decent ref. 

In the past, he was inclined to be a bit fussy. I think that’s no longer the case.

He did deny us a win v Saracens by not giving Foxy the turnover penalty with the clock red. Instead, he gave it to them and they scored a try for the draw and conversion to win it, or have I got that last bit wrong?
[/QUOTE

I think Sarries got a draw Steve. 

Date Posted: 27 November 2020 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

[QUOTE=Bys Meri Ann]Referees have been announced for the first 2 rounds of the Champions Cup:

Ruiz is a decent ref. 

[/QUOTE

I think Sarries got a draw Steve. 
That was my initial recollection. My qualifying of the result reflected my disgust that we’d been robbed of a win over the unbeaten for ages, audit-dodging, boring rugby playing Londoners.- not that I’m bitterConfused

-------------

Posted By: Wasp
Date Posted: 27 November 2020 at 11:06pm
Originally posted by Legendinmybathroom Legendinmybathroom wrote:

Not having a game before Bath could be a problem, but some of our squad have played a lot of club rugby already, so the break might be good for them.  It will also give us the time needed for them to self isolate.
A game against Leinster with an already depleted squad depleted even more due to some positive COVID results and subsequent self isolations could have proved very damaging ahead of european matches (based on result) just as the signs are starting to look good.
I give you Argentina 25-15 New Zealand. The break did them good Wink

-------------
We're still still here!

Posted By: aber-fan
Date Posted: 28 November 2020 at 8:28am

And there lies the problem. This pandemic has shown that a lot of people have no common sense whatsoever. That’s why we’re still in this position. 

For once, I agree with you - 100%... we in Ceredigion have had very low rates of COVID until recently, when a bunch of idiots in Cardigan thought it a 'good idea' to celebrate the end of the lockdown with a pub crawl, leading to 55 positive tests and 300 contacts...

-------------
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)

Date Posted: 02 December 2020 at 9:23am
Further to the meeting on Monday, the welsh government has ruled out fans returning in the next few weeks

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net