Forum Description: Other rugby chat
URL: https://scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=46088
Printed Date: 28 March 2024 at 8:55am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: North Knee
Posted By: Realwest
Subject: North Knee
Date Posted: 05 December 2020 at 9:45pm
Looks like George North is likely to be cited for a knee to the head of one of the Italians. Id say having seen it quite a ban as well

Replies:
Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 05 December 2020 at 9:59pm
How do you know this?

Date Posted: 05 December 2020 at 10:18pm
I don’t it’s my opinion have you seen the video surely a citing a knee to the head is very serious the vid is out and about and world rugby have to do something north has already been banned this year

Posted By: RR1972
Date Posted: 05 December 2020 at 10:32pm
Put a link to the video on here then

Date Posted: 05 December 2020 at 10:38pm
It was on Twitter I’ll try find it 

Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 05 December 2020 at 11:32pm
Didn’t he jump for the ball and the Italian made contact with his high knee? It didn’t quite seem right at the time but I moved on as it seems you get penalties and cards for all sorts these days. The game is a mess on all this yet alone the consistency aspect, what about Sanjays swinging  arm to the head? I’ve seen reds for similar yet not even a penalty. Confused I am 🤔 

Posted By: GPR - Rochester
Date Posted: 06 December 2020 at 7:41am
Don't recall the George incident but i thought Liam was lucky not to get a card for that clear out. 

Posted By: ladram
Date Posted: 06 December 2020 at 8:32am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Don't recall the George incident but i thought Liam was lucky not to get a card for that clear out. 
when do you find out about citings?i said last night that sanjay was lucky and at times i think his frustrations boil over and he tries to do too much.

Date Posted: 06 December 2020 at 9:20am
I cant find it now but the incident happened when north was on his feet and an Italian was hanging onto him north then swung a knee and made contact with the Italians head 

I’m
Pretty sure citings need to be done within 48 hours of the game finishing

Date Posted: 06 December 2020 at 9:48am
Ive just got the clip i screen recorded it to my iPhone but cant work out how to post it here 

Its on the good the bad and the rugby page on Facebook either that or I can whatsapp it to someone to post here

Posted By: Jones2004
Date Posted: 06 December 2020 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by Realwest Realwest wrote:

Ive just got the clip i screen recorded it to my iPhone but cant work out how to post it here 

Its on the good the bad and the rugby page on Facebook either that or I can whatsapp it to someone to post here
https://www.facebook.com/groups/290557255336768/permalink/380318993027260/" rel="nofollow - https://www.facebook.com/groups/290557255336768/permalink/380318993027260/
This should work.

Posted By: ap sior
Date Posted: 06 December 2020 at 2:01pm
Doesn't look good on George !!!!

Long ban if he's cited, it was straight to the Italians chin. Holding on by the Italian won't be accepted in mitigation, no matter how irritating it is when an opponent holds on beyond the tackle.

Posted By: Airdaa
Date Posted: 06 December 2020 at 2:28pm
 Not even a YC for either incident after the out cry about Kieran Tredawell and the TMO on this site I think considering Liam Williams previous history he should get full quota of weeks and George North’s knee to the head was a deliberate action no question of accidental contact. In Williams case you could argue that the strike to the head was more of an accident due to his badly judged dangerous clear out. Couldn’t believe that he went un penalised nor his team mate who ran in to attack an Italian player at the end of the incident.
If they are cited and cannot believe they won’t be it will be a bit of Karma.

Date Posted: 06 December 2020 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by Airdaa Airdaa wrote:

Not even a YC for either incident after the out cry about Kieran Tredawell and the TMO on this site I think considering Liam Williams previous history he should get full quota of weeks and George North’s knee to the head was a deliberate action no question of accidental contact. In Williams case you could argue that the strike to the head was more of an accident due to his badly judged dangerous clear out. Couldn’t believe that he went un penalised nor his team mate who ran in to attack an Italian player at the end of the incident.

Treadmill was guilty of a red card offense. 3 week ban.
There’s zero linkage and karma between that and Liam and North.
You seem to struggle to separate these issues.

Posted By: Eastern outpost
Date Posted: 06 December 2020 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by Airdaa Airdaa wrote:

I think I’d trust neutral officials of Wayne Barnes and his TMO than some official employed by the same organisation as owns the side whose player is the accused. Add to that Macneice s deliberate persuasion of the neutral referee away from his red card verdict and there can be no comparison between the incidents.

Barnes said at the time that they’d looked at Liam Williams’s actions and there was no foul play. 

-------------
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.

Posted By: minded
Date Posted: 06 December 2020 at 4:10pm
North

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPnAh1r0V9YMx4LjUAXI1AUts5jgBck9u" rel="nofollow - Scarlets Tries of the Season 2009 - 2022

Posted By: EJPT
Date Posted: 06 December 2020 at 4:16pm
Dangerous and deliberate needs a ban. I see ruck clearouts like Sanjays nearly every week in some games around the world, needs to be policed better. Players are flying in from all angles and it is dangerous, Sanjay made contact with the head if he is banned so be it, these rulings however are not consistent. 

Posted By: Sosban89
Date Posted: 06 December 2020 at 7:01pm
No real defense for North there. Pretty poor from one of the more experienced players, in a nothing game no less.

Posted By: ladram
Date Posted: 06 December 2020 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by Sosban89 Sosban89 wrote:

No real defense for North there. Pretty poor from one of the more experienced players, in a nothing game no less.
wasn't his red card in a friendly?

Posted By: scarletnut
Date Posted: 06 December 2020 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

wasn't his red card in a friendly?
It was a dead rubber pro 14 game v Dragons 

-------------
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1

Date Posted: 06 December 2020 at 8:40pm

Not much in it. Wish sanjay was binned hell likely be out for a good few weeks now😢

Posted By: roy munster
Date Posted: 06 December 2020 at 10:51pm
Lets keep some perspective he didnt exactly follow through with the knee jerk reaction. There is absolutely no way the italian player was hurt. 

-------------
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)

Date Posted: 07 December 2020 at 12:00am
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Lets keep some perspective he didnt exactly follow through with the knee jerk reaction. There is absolutely no way the italian player was hurt. 
It was just foolish. The Italian just looked to the AR and pointed to his chin in moral outrage ! These niggles need to be better policed by officials as holding on seems to be more prevalent in causing friction now they dare not punch 

Posted By: dr_martinov
Date Posted: 07 December 2020 at 8:12am
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

It was just foolish. The Italian just looked to the AR and pointed to his chin in moral outrage ! These niggles need to be better policed by officials as holding on seems to be more prevalent in causing friction now they dare not punch 

Easy solution then, bring back punching!

I think we are seeing more pleas for action and even playacting in rugby now. 

Posted By: Fscarlet
Date Posted: 07 December 2020 at 8:21am
Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

Easy solution then, bring back punching!

I think we are seeing more pleas for action and even playacting in rugby now. 

Aye, I'll never forget Dan Biggar looking for the ref mid fall once when he was taken out in the air. 

Date Posted: 07 December 2020 at 8:24am
I liked it when the kick and chase evolved into kick and find someone to run into. 

Goes both ways, we all know that. Players meandering in the path of the chaser all the time with arms in the air. 

Not an easy sport to ref.

Date Posted: 07 December 2020 at 8:32am
Appealing to the ref for yellows, massive whopping when the ref pings for you in the scrum. Awful developments of the modern game.

The hard thing for many here is that, certainly in my playing days anyways, if anyone carried on holding on to me 5-10 yds away from and after the contact point, a clip or a biff in the chops would be a reasonable response, almost expected, and certainly deserved.

Seen these cited and ignored. Who knows.

Date Posted: 07 December 2020 at 8:38am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Appealing to the ref for yellows, massive whopping when the ref pings for you in the scrum. Awful developments of the modern game.

The hard thing for many here is that, certainly in my playing days anyways, if anyone carried on holding on to me 5-10 yds away from and after the contact point, a clip or a biff in the chops would be a reasonable response, almost expected, and certainly deserved.

Yes Wil far too much round ball habits creeping into the game. Both Liam and George could face citings. 

Date Posted: 07 December 2020 at 8:39am

Yes & you were allowed to deal with players not rolling away yourself LOLLOL

Posted By: Why
Date Posted: 07 December 2020 at 9:24am
I think the refs should penalise players for the hollering and shouting in oppositions faces after winning a turnover or scrum penalty. Unfortunately Rob Evans is one of worst at this as is Itoje find the behaviour unsportsmanlike and childlike.

-------------
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.

Posted By: greypower1
Date Posted: 07 December 2020 at 9:54am
And against covid guidance, no shouting and singing.😋

-------------
Keep the faith

Posted By: aber-fan
Date Posted: 07 December 2020 at 1:25pm

Fair comment - that Italian took North out miles from the ball - something that happens far too often nowadays, without being picked up by the  refs or assistants. North's 'retaliation' looked pretty flimsy - he may have pulled back on any power delivered - and the reaction from the Italian was a bit pitiful, TBH.

It shouldn't lead to any citing, IMO, given the 'lack of power' (© Irish TMOs) being applied.

We'll see.

-------------
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)

Date Posted: 07 December 2020 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

I think the refs should penalise players for the hollering and shouting in oppositions faces after winning a turnover or scrum penalty. Unfortunately Rob Evans is one of worst at this as is Itoje find the behaviour unsportsmanlike and childlike.

Fair comment.

Why don't we go back to one of the better ways of dealing with insubordination from the olden days - if anyone disagrees with a decision in a clearly offensive way, march them back 10 yards - or metres. If anyone 'over-celebrates' in a clearly offensive way, meant to wind up the opposition - reverse the decision.

That would sort out this behaviour pretty quickly, I think.

-------------
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)

Date Posted: 07 December 2020 at 1:40pm
Disagreeing with the ref is a part of life for us supporters...

I wonder if we should consider removing any temptation to challenge decisions from the players. In the NFL, decisions can be challenged by a 'flag' thrown onto the pitch; in cricket, players are allowed up to 3 challenges per session (I think). 

Some sort of middle way between these systems could see coaches given the right to make (say) up to 3 challenges per half - either immediately, or when a try is 'scored' without a break in play following a contentious decision. (This would have led to the Biggar  tackle-in-air try ruled out, I think). It would also speed things up overall - if refs are relieved from dealing with Biggar himself, or half the Irish squad, or Richie of Scotland, bitching away, with only the coaches (with the benefit of their own laptop replays) able to intervene, then pointless complaints would cease and only those with merit, or very borderline decisions which actually matter, would be looked at.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 December 2020 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

I wonder if we should consider removing any temptation to challenge decisions from the players. In the NFL, decisions can be challenged by a 'flag' thrown onto the pitch; in cricket, players are allowed up to 3 challenges per session (I think). 

Some sort of middle way between these systems could see coaches given the right to make (say) up to 3 challenges per half - either immediately, or when a try is 'scored' without a break in play following a contentious decision. (This would have led to the Biggar  tackle-in-air try ruled out, I think). It would also speed things up overall - if refs are relieved from dealing with Biggar himself, or half the Irish squad, or Richie of Scotland, bitching away, with only the coaches (with the benefit of their own laptop replays) able to intervene, then pointless complaints would cease and only those with merit, or very borderline decisions which actually matter, would be looked at.

I like that but you'd have to limit how far back you can go in play....

Date Posted: 07 December 2020 at 1:53pm
I add to the list the patronising and provocative  “ Tap on the head’ by the opposition for a player who drops the ball; slips in the scrum or gets turned over . Really annoys me as again it often leads to aggro and more pushing and shoving! The game is being strangled ( if you pardon the pun) by stoppages and TMO referrals. I watched the Glaws Quins game yesterday and the referrals took ages of time. 

Date Posted: 07 December 2020 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

I'd say - within the play (no breaks) - BUT in case of endless phases, the NFL 'flag' method occurs during play - so if that was adopted, TMOs could immediately start looking, and come up with a decision maybe even before the ball goes dead.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 December 2020 at 3:38pm

I'd say - within the play (no breaks) - BUT in case of endless phases, the NFL 'flag' method occurs during play - so if that was adopted, TMOs could immediately start looking, and come up with a decision maybe even before the ball goes dead.

I had a quick google of the flag system & I didn't realise there was an actual flag thrown LOL I like it! 

Date Posted: 07 December 2020 at 3:41pm

I had a quick google of the flag system & I didn't realise there was an actual flag thrown LOL I like it! 

It has its advantages, but as far as I know there isn't a limit (?) - which might lead to even more stoppages - which is why I like the cricket idea of limiting the number of challenges... then people will only challenge decisions which really matter.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 December 2020 at 3:47pm

It has its advantages, but as far as I know there isn't a limit (?) - which might lead to even more stoppages - which is why I like the cricket idea of limiting the number of challenges... then people will only challenge decisions which really matter.

We are, or seem to be, moving to VAR territory in rugby where it feels every try is checked now before the conversion can take place...

Date Posted: 07 December 2020 at 3:51pm

We are, or seem to be, moving to VAR territory in rugby where it feels every try is checked now before the conversion can take place...

Yes, that is a risk. Too much delay will be hard to put up with... mind you, I think (cynically) that a lot of breaks are actually deliberately built in to USA sport, to allow for the (lucrative) ad breaks... and presumably the supporters go for a beer, or a wee...

-------------

Date Posted: 07 December 2020 at 5:24pm

I add to the list the patronising and provocative  “ Tap on the head’ by the opposition for a player who drops the ball; slips in the scrum or gets turned over . Really annoys me as again it often leads to aggro and more pushing and shoving! The game is being strangled ( if you pardon the pun) by stoppages and TMO referrals. I watched the Glaws Quins game yesterday and the referrals took ages of time. 

Mike Brown did that to Scott when Underhill dragged him in to touch whilst sliding over a couple of seasons ago.

We still talk about it now. I wouldn't have had Scott's restrained response, that's for sure!

Posted By: Eastern outpost
Date Posted: 07 December 2020 at 6:43pm

Fair comment - that Italian took North out miles from the ball - something that happens far too often nowadays, without being picked up by the  refs or assistants. North's 'retaliation' looked pretty flimsy - he may have pulled back on any power delivered - and the reaction from the Italian was a bit pitiful, TBH.

It shouldn't lead to any citing, IMO, given the 'lack of power' (© Irish TMOs) being applied.

We'll see.
Nice comment on the copyright.

If you can expand that into something more developed, I know someone who works in the EU Patents Office. You’ve a few weeks left....

-------------

Date Posted: 08 December 2020 at 8:16am

Mike Brown did that to Scott when Underhill dragged him in to touch whilst sliding over a couple of seasons ago.

We still talk about it now. I wouldn't have had Scott's restrained response, that's for sure!

I remember it well. A big part of me really wanted to see Scott sort that guy out regardless of cards. Brown is one of the worst types of play actors. 

Posted By: Rob o'r Bont
Date Posted: 08 December 2020 at 10:03am
Anyone remember a few seasons ago (maybe more than a few), the Ref's Assistant made a mistake in flagging touch when the ball was still in play and made up an exuse as to why he had flagged and caused the ref to stop the game - his excuse was that one of our players had shouted. Smile

Anyway, when I read the title of this thread I thought it was a discussion about a peninsula off the Pembrokeshire coast.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 December 2020 at 10:22am
On a side note , North just made the world team of the decade alongside some very esteemed company 

Date Posted: 08 December 2020 at 10:24am

Rugby lge have started to penalise players who tap the opposition on the head after they making an error

They did it a twice in the wigan vs hull play off game, I hope we follow  their lead it has no part in the game

Date Posted: 08 December 2020 at 10:26am
Yep. Saw that. Good.

Posted By: greypower1
Date Posted: 08 December 2020 at 12:40pm
So you can hit high, lead with the shoulder and no arms tackle but can't disrespect a player.  One out of four is not that good.

-------------
Keep the faith

Date Posted: 08 December 2020 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

Anyone remember a few seasons ago (maybe more than a few), the Ref's Assistant made a mistake in flagging touch when the ball was still in play and made up an exuse as to why he had flagged and caused the ref to stop the game - his excuse was that one of our players had shouted. Smile

Anyway, when I read the title of this thread I thought it was a discussion about a peninsula off the Pembrokeshire coast.

I assumed an injury or social injustice protest. Turns out it was an italian head "taking the knee". Or pretending to. 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net