Forum Description: Other rugby chat
URL: https://scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=46192
Printed Date: 28 March 2024 at 8:05pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 2021 6 Nations.
Posted By: GPR - Rochester
Subject: 2021 6 Nations.
Date Posted: 26 January 2021 at 3:35pm
Interesting to see that England have lost Underhill for the tournament ( hip injury), Launchbury certainly for Scotland ( injury), Mako Vunipola & Sinckler for Scotland ( one injury one banned) & Joe Marler for family reasons not wanting to be away from his family for 8 weeks. So thats 4 starting forwards and the bench loose head missing. Scotland will be giving their scrum practice large in the next week or so. 

Replies:
Posted By: dyniol53
Date Posted: 26 January 2021 at 4:33pm
Their pro-sides have been dire but the combo of Russell and Hogg with some fit carriers in the pack might give the Scots a chance given that English injury list.

Hamish Watson and Rory Sutherland seem key to Scotland’s carrying.

-------------
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en

Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 26 January 2021 at 4:35pm
It’s ridiculous and Covid reckless that that the English based Wales players have to go back to their clubs inter competition - what’s wrong with them. Surely doing a pandemic they can just let the welsh players stay in a bubble . It should not be permitted 

Date Posted: 28 January 2021 at 9:56am
Listening to Wayne Pivac's press conference yesterday leaves no real doubt how important this Ireland game is going to be for his & his coaching teams futures. He is clearly under huge pressure and is trying to glean any comfort he can - referring to the fact that he felt Wales were almost where they want to be in the final 6 nations game last year against Scotland. 

If that is the case then it passed me by in all honesty. He is clear that the set piece has to improve which is correct. Quite how this will be achieved is a little beyond me - our stock of props is, if we are honest, weak with Carre, Rhodri & Dillon not regular starters at regions. Anything happen to Wyn or Francis and we are going to struggle. Elsewhere in the pack our hopes lie in 3 guys finding form very quickly with AWJ not having played since October and Ken & Navidi only 20/30 minutes in months. 

Date Posted: 28 January 2021 at 11:48am
 Wales were almost where they want to be in the final 6 nations game last year against Scotland.”

Eh?!? 

-------------

Posted By: RR1972
Date Posted: 29 January 2021 at 11:49am
I'd expect this team from pivac

halfpenny north foxy jonny w adams biggar t Williams

wyn ken francis

ball awj

lydiate tips toby f

bench

carre elias lewis rowlands naividi  Cawdor evans LRZ

how many of that line up are in form and in full fitness?

Posted By: KID A
Date Posted: 29 January 2021 at 11:56am
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

It’s ridiculous and Covid reckless that that the English based Wales players have to go back to their clubs inter competition - what’s wrong with them. Surely doing a pandemic they can just let the welsh players stay in a bubble . It should not be permitted 

Who pays their wages?

Posted By: scarletnut
Date Posted: 29 January 2021 at 12:24pm

The English clubs pay their wages. They are in the right as far as I’m concerned. 

-------------
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1

Date Posted: 29 January 2021 at 12:29pm
Lam hit the nail on the end - stop moaning WRU and pay up like the English teams have to. Can't really argue can we. All this nonsense been talked about throughout Gatland's  era about access to players - all they had to do was re-imburse the clubs for their wages. Typical WRU.

Date Posted: 29 January 2021 at 12:55pm
Normally I'd agree but there is a health and safety issue here, players flying to other nations and then going back to clubs and the back to the national teams does raise a concern

The English clubs have the right to do this but under these extra ordinary circumstances imo they should waive those rights on this one occasion

That's just my take though and I understand the other view point

Date Posted: 01 February 2021 at 8:47am
Welcome prediction coming from Clive Woodward that Wales are about to come good at this 6 nations. He also believes that the welsh back row is the best in the World. Strange times indeed. 

Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 01 February 2021 at 9:07am
Dining out on a 20 year achievement.

Date Posted: 01 February 2021 at 9:56am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Fair play to him he has eaten well on it - damn he even got to an Olympics!!!!! Starting to get excited now which is usual for me come the first week of the 6 nations. Looking at predictions I am even thinking of picking Wales for goodness sake - which I will again add is usual for this week every year. Didn't have me down as an eternal optimist but what can I say. 

Posted By: Fscarlet
Date Posted: 01 February 2021 at 10:10am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Fair play to him he has eaten well on it - damn he even got to an Olympics!!!!! Starting to get excited now which is usual for me come the first week of the 6 nations. Looking at predictions I am even thinking of picking Wales for goodness sake - which I will again add is usual for this week every year. Didn't have me down as an eternal optimist but what can I say. 

I'm quietly confident on Sunday but I don't know why. That said I am sure by Wednesday I will not see anything but a massive Irish win LOLLOL

I just want to see progress, get our back line running & trying things. We won't beat Ireland up front & we cannot just kick the ball to them as our kick chase isn't good enough. If we will continue to kick the ball away, we should use Biggar as the chaser as he is good at retrieving. 

Date Posted: 01 February 2021 at 10:18am
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

I'm quietly confident on Sunday but I don't know why. That said I am sure by Wednesday I will not see anything but a massive Irish win LOLLOL

I just want to see progress, get our back line running & trying things. We won't beat Ireland up front & we cannot just kick the ball to them as our kick chase isn't good enough. If we will continue to kick the ball away, we should use Biggar as the chaser as he is good at retrieving. 

Its quite amazing how much importance is being attributed to a guy who has been in the wilderness for two years. Relying heavily on Lydiate to stop Irish forward momentum. Can Tipuric work in tandem with him to turn over ball? 

Date Posted: 01 February 2021 at 10:22am

Its quite amazing how much importance is being attributed to a guy who has been in the wilderness for two years. Relying heavily on Lydiate to stop Irish forward momentum. Can Tipuric work in tandem with him to turn over ball? 

Tipuric doesn't actually make that many turn overs, at the Ospreys it tends to be the front rowers or the number 8.

I know I will get shot down for this but I think we should start Ball (if fit) & Rowlands as, & I know he brings leadership, AWJ won't clear the rucks out & we will need that Sunday.

Date Posted: 01 February 2021 at 10:35am
Actually, just my view, but AWJ is the only rucking forward we have.

Date Posted: 01 February 2021 at 10:49am

Actually, just my view, but AWJ is the only rucking forward we have.

Sorry but Ball is a far better rucker in the way he physically clears a ruck out rather than pick up, roll or twist a would be jackler. Balls momentum takes him past the ball which clears the way for quick ball for the 9. 

Date Posted: 01 February 2021 at 11:14am
Fair enough, Ball is also our first receiver in phase play. He can't really be both.
Rowlands certainly isn't the answer from what I have seen so far.

Date Posted: 01 February 2021 at 11:18am

Fair enough, Ball is also our first receiver in phase play. He can't really be both.

It's funny that we can develop a large number of quality back rowers, scrum halves etc but struggle with locks.

Date Posted: 01 February 2021 at 11:34am
Celtic people as rule don’t have as many big atheltic people. Look at boxing can’t recall any decent welsh scots or irish heavyweights. Tommy farr was only 14 stone, need to poach some of the saxons and boks giants😂👍

Date Posted: 01 February 2021 at 11:38am

It's funny that we can develop a large number of quality back rowers, scrum halves etc but struggle with locks.

It’s actually largely a population effect - there are only so many people over 6ft6in (less than 1%).

Then how many of them will pick up a rugby ball, of those only a portion will have the hand-eye coordination to be quality athletes, even then fewer will then have the discipline and determination to be an international lock.

The reason South Africa and England produce so many more locks is pretty much because they have the biggest playing pools.

Scotland’s 2 best locks in the last 10 years have been from the same family! 

-------------

Date Posted: 01 February 2021 at 12:02pm
what does this forum think about leaving tips on bench and starting with lydiate josh and a toby f back to try and match the irish for physicality?

Can bring tips on when game opens up then?

Only downside is lydaite tends to gas out after an hour and you relying on josh to play 80 minutes of test rugby after what 1 regional game in 6 months?

Looking at the bench options jones and brown offer more in terms of impact around the park , but both can struggle in the scrums then again carre and lewis can't even get in the blues team at the minute!

Wales selection will tell us all I suspect it'll be conservative with a big c and well try to scrape home in a tight game relying on our kickers and our defence more than our attacking play and ability to score trys

Date Posted: 01 February 2021 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Celtic people as rule don’t have as many big atheltic people. Look at boxing can’t recall any decent welsh scots or irish heavyweights. Tommy farr was only 14 stone, need to poach some of the saxons and boks giants😂👍
Some big / tall Polish background people around Llanelli - with the large population living here we need some dating sites set up to improve the marriage blends to aid our diminutive and traditional Pit Pony stock !😉 😂 

Date Posted: 01 February 2021 at 12:32pm

what does this forum think about leaving tips on bench and starting with lydiate josh and a toby f back to try and match the irish for physicality?

Only downside is lydaite tends to gas out after an hour and you relying on josh to play 80 minutes of test rugby after what 1 regional game in 6 months?

Looking at the bench options jones and brown offer more in terms of impact around the park , but both can struggle in the scrums then again carre and lewis can't even get in the blues team at the minute!

Wales selection will tell us all I suspect it'll be conservative with a big c and well try to scrape home in a tight game relying on our kickers and our defence more than our attacking play and ability to score trys

I think Lydiate will be important defensively, the man is a machine. I think I am right in saying he made 30 tackles against us!! I also think Navidi will feature.

Date Posted: 01 February 2021 at 1:12pm
I noticed Biggar had to play a full game at the weekend as I think did Toby . Don’t see the sense in the RFU risking Covid spread like this. It’s irresponsible for all players and I hope it doesn’t lead to international games being postponed!

Date Posted: 01 February 2021 at 1:22pm

Interesting calls to be made. I would certainly back Josh to contribute more to the breakdown in tandem with Lydiate. That would mean Tips not featuring because I see Navidi featuring in the 4 back rows selected. If Navidi was match fit, which he isn't, then that would have been a hell of a call for Pivac because a Navidi able to go the full 80 would be a huge weapon combined with Lydiate. 

As for props I see Carre & Brown adding some carrying in the last 20 but if anything happens early to Wyn or Francis it is trouble time. I, like you, am not expecting a free flowing Wales this 6 nations - win at all cost will be the mantra so I am prepared for a fairly conservative gameplan with lots of kick chase & in your face defensive effort. 

Posted By: Mogwen
Date Posted: 01 February 2021 at 3:24pm
My pack would be wyn,ken,francis,jake,awj,navidi,lydiate,faletau. I dont think tipuric will offer anything as he is too lightweight and ineffevtive in a physical battle. If it was an.open, running game, yes.

-------------
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Date Posted: 01 February 2021 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by Mogwen Mogwen wrote:

My pack would be wyn,ken,francis,jake,awj,navidi,lydiate,faletau. I dont think tipuric will offer anything as he is too lightweight and ineffevtive in a physical battle. If it was an.open, running game, yes.

Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 01 February 2021 at 3:56pm
Tipuric is our best player it would be madness to leave him on the bench in my opinion

His physicality is as good as any other 7 - he’s just so good at other facets at the game people assume he’s not physical.

His skill in the line out is underrated - and necessary (after using him at 1st receiver for a while Pivac has put him back in the lineout!)

Lydiate, Faletau, Tips with Navidi coming on is the best we’ve got.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 February 2021 at 4:02pm

I agree.

The places I think there’s some discussion are wing and half backs. 

I don’t really have a preference who starts out of North, LRZ and Adams.

I’d like to see T. Williams starting 9 and Davies come off the bench.

I’d love to see Evans get at least 2 games starting with Biggar off bench but I suspect I’ll be disappointed. 

-------------

Posted By: Jones2004
Date Posted: 01 February 2021 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

Tipuric is our best player it would be madness to leave him on the bench in my opinion

His physicality is as good as any other 7 - he’s just so good at other facets at the game people assume he’s not physical.

His skill in the line out is underrated - and necessary (after using him at 1st receiver for a while Pivac has put him back in the lineout!)

Lydiate, Faletau, Tips with Navidi coming on is the best we’ve got.
I’d agree that he does bring more physicality than people realise but what he doesn’t bring is real jackling threat (admittedly he does bring some, but not close to the level of other international 7s). Against Ireland a jackling threat is invaluable as I think we saw on Saturday what happens when you don’t slow down the ball of the Irish sides. That’s why I’d be slightly worried about that facet if he starts and Navidi doesn’t but it certainly is a tight call as Tipuric brings so much quality in so many other facets, as you say.

Date Posted: 01 February 2021 at 6:29pm
There is an alternative. Play naividi 8 tips 7 and lydiate 6 in all honesty toby f looked poor when he came on for bath on the weekend

Date Posted: 01 February 2021 at 7:00pm
That’s an interesting prospect - but I guess the performance by Tips and Faletau against Italy in the Autumn will have secured TF’s place.

Only other thing is you’re potentially asking one of Lydiate and Navidi to go 80mins if the both start - given Lydiate’s coming back to intl rugby and Navidi coming off the back of an injury I can’t see either going 80mins.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 February 2021 at 7:04pm
Lydiate has been picked as the starting 6, at least for the first 2 games.

Navidi, if he gets some good game time in, could step in.

Date Posted: 01 February 2021 at 7:04pm
The other thing to note is that - when Pivac beat the Irish sides in our Pro12 win, it wasn’t through physicality - it was through turnover, handling skills and pace.

Given the opportunity, Faletau and Tips really fit the bill in that regard - so if Wales are ever going to play “the Pivac way” it will likely be with those two starting.

I know Wales keep losing because they’ve lost the physical edge they had under Gatland but if they’re actually to progress beyond that they’ll need to up their skills and start running around teams not through them. 

-------------

Posted By: PritchyTheScarlet
Date Posted: 01 February 2021 at 10:47pm
Considering Navidi has played nowhere near enough rugby to justify throwing him in straight away against Ireland, my back-row for Sunday would be: 6. Lydiate 7. Tipuric 8. Faletau

-------------
“Gareth Edwards just ran 30 yards and got a Knighthood, I sidestepped five players and got arthritis in both knees.” - Benny

Date Posted: 02 February 2021 at 2:43pm
Caelan Doris & Quinn Roux have been ruled out of Irelands 6 nations opener with Wales, with Munster's Gavin Coombes & Leinster second row Ryan Baird coming into the squad. 

Date Posted: 02 February 2021 at 2:46pm

Caelan Doris & Quinn Roux have been ruled out of Irelands 6 nations opener with Wales, with Munster's Gavin Coombes & Leinster second row Ryan Baird coming into the squad. 

Don't think that weakens the squad much if at all judging by the way those two have been performing. 

Date Posted: 02 February 2021 at 2:49pm
That coombes is a real handful, I think he's better than doris tbh

Date Posted: 02 February 2021 at 2:52pm

That coombes is a real handful, I think he's better than doris tbh

He'll certainly test Lydiate's tackling if he's selected. Don't think I have seen a guy offer to carry so much. 

Date Posted: 03 February 2021 at 11:07am
There feels like there is an awful lot of silence in terms of press releases etc from the Welsh camp this year compared to previous 6 nations. Usually we have a player or coach speaking almost every day in the week before a game.

Posted By: Owen111
Date Posted: 03 February 2021 at 11:51am

As a fan I dont feel very optimistic for this 6n.

But the players dont think of it the same way as the fans they will have trained for 2 weeks and be in the zone. Lets hope some of the key players pick up some form as there hasnt been many stand out players in the p14.

Listened to foxy on a podcast a few weeks back and he said they know it more than anyone. It look a few seasons for things to click at Scarlets with Pivac and that was a team that he was able to coach muliple times a week throughout the year.

We will see cant get much worse can it

Date Posted: 03 February 2021 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by Owen111 Owen111 wrote:

As a fan I dont feel very optimistic for this 6n.

But the players dont think of it the same way as the fans they will have trained for 2 weeks and be in the zone. Lets hope some of the key players pick up some form as there hasnt been many stand out players in the p14.

Listened to foxy on a podcast a few weeks back and he said they know it more than anyone. It look a few seasons for things to click at Scarlets with Pivac and that was a team that he was able to coach muliple times a week throughout the year.

We will see cant get much worse can it

Well, it can - and it might!

-------------

Posted By: Mogwen
Date Posted: 03 February 2021 at 4:14pm
My only hope for the 6N is that all scarlets return injury free once its over.

-------------
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Date Posted: 03 February 2021 at 4:21pm
Well there seems a lot of optimism around even on this forum if you look at some predictions. I am struggling to see where this comes from as not much has changed since they whipped us last time. Sexton seems to be always on the treatment table in the past couple of seasons and rarely makes the 80. Their lineout has creaked but not as badly as ours. If O'Connell works his magic that will get sorted. One of our favourite sons Scotty Quinnell tips us for the Grand Slam - I'm definitely ordering what he's on for the weekend!!!!

Posted By: ladram
Date Posted: 03 February 2021 at 4:31pm

Well there seems a lot of optimism around even on this forum if you look at some predictions. I am struggling to see where this comes from as not much has changed since they whipped us last time. Sexton seems to be always on the treatment table in the past couple of seasons and rarely makes the 80. Their lineout has creaked but not as badly as ours. If O'Connell works his magic that will get sorted. One of our favourite sons Scotty Quinnell tips us for the Grand Slam - I'm definitely ordering what he's on for the weekend!!!!
He looked and sounded like he'd had a bucketful of blue smarties and as much as i love scotty the whole show was an embarrassment .

Date Posted: 03 February 2021 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

He looked and sounded like he'd had a bucketful of blue smarties and as much as i love scotty the whole show was an embarrassment .

Aye, you can't knock it passion but it was a bit silly!!

Date Posted: 03 February 2021 at 4:36pm

LOL

Date Posted: 03 February 2021 at 4:44pm

Well there seems a lot of optimism around even on this forum if you look at some predictions. I am struggling to see where this comes from as not much has changed since they whipped us last time.

If there were fans back in the stadium I’d probably share some of that delusional optimism that’s going around - but you’re right, there’s no reason to think anything has changed since the autumn.

To be honest there’s no evidence Pivac has worked out what it takes to beat the Irish since Leinster figured us out in the Euro Semi Final in April 2018

-------------

Date Posted: 03 February 2021 at 5:02pm

Well there seems a lot of optimism around even on this forum if you look at some predictions!

Average Superbru predictions have given Irish 73% chance vs Wales 27%, which I’d say is about fair.

I’m opting for a draw like in 2016 LOL

-------------

Posted By: LLANDRE
Date Posted: 03 February 2021 at 5:24pm
Josh Adams has been kicked out of the Welsh squad for breaking Covid regulations apparently 

-------------
West is Best (Fin gwybod)

Posted By: hoppy
Date Posted: 03 February 2021 at 9:33pm
Think France will be in the top three places 

Date Posted: 03 February 2021 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by hoppy hoppy wrote:

I think France will win it. 

Posted By: Eastern outpost
Date Posted: 03 February 2021 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by hoppy hoppy wrote:

Their form has been super impressive.

They’d fully deserve coming first, second and third this year.

It’d do the world of good for the game.

Wink

-------------
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.

Posted By: hoppy
Date Posted: 03 February 2021 at 10:22pm
i mean they will finish second in the table 
can see wales finishing fourth
fancy ireland to win the championship 

Date Posted: 03 February 2021 at 10:30pm

LOL
he came across like a moron tbh. Why all the shouting and arm waving . All a bit over the top and seem staged . The whole show was dreadful tbh

Date Posted: 03 February 2021 at 10:44pm
I’m just glad we have France last because they would give us a right hiding atm.

I think France and England will top the table again (pts difference) but I’m kinda hoping it might be a tournament where everyone drops a game or two

I fancy Scotland against England for some reason

-------------

Date Posted: 04 February 2021 at 8:07am
France are going to be without Ntamack for the whole tournament and also their outside centre whose names escapes me. Big losses for them but Ntamack's replacement Jallibert is playing seriously well in the top 14. 

England are missing some real grunt in the front row - Marler, Vunipola & Sinckler along with Underhill & Launchbury so if ever there was a time for the Scots it is this weekend. Also how will the Saracens lads cope without any rugby for two months. Still think both England & France will contest the championship - my personal wish is that attacking flair conquers defensive excellence so for me France to be champions. 

Date Posted: 04 February 2021 at 10:41am

LOL
he came across like a moron tbh. Why all the shouting and arm waving . All a bit over the top and seem staged . The whole show was dreadful tbh

He was just like that on Sky Sports Rugby- bit manic - but seemed OTT when contrasted with Nathan’s calm answers and Elinoir’s ! Alfy should have been on to balance off the manic style 😂

Date Posted: 04 February 2021 at 10:43am

LOL

He was just like that on Sky Sports Rugby- bit manic - but seemed OTT when contrasted with Nathan’s calm answers and Elinoir’s ! Alfy should have been on to balance off the manic style 😂

He was on a celeb best home cook show & literally was all over the place!

Posted By: ap sior
Date Posted: 04 February 2021 at 11:54am
SQ is dyslexic, some find it difficult to structure and order things.

I wouldn't be too harsh on him therefore. 

Date Posted: 04 February 2021 at 11:57am
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

SQ is dyslexic, some find it difficult to structure and order things.

I wouldn't be too harsh on him therefore. 
Nobody is being harsh,he doesn't behave like that on sky sports.

Date Posted: 04 February 2021 at 12:59pm
No Blade in the Scotland squad.

Date Posted: 04 February 2021 at 1:00pm

[QUOTE=RR1972]He was just like that on Sky Sports Rugby- bit manic - but seemed OTT when contrasted with Nathan’s calm answers and Elinoir’s ! Alfy should have been on to balance off the manic style 😂

Haha with Justin Marshall moderating via zoom 

-------------

Date Posted: 04 February 2021 at 1:17pm

No Blade in the Scotland squad.

Not surprised at that Fscarlet - he's too loose. Ritchie is way better at 6 & Blade doesn't carry hard enough for 8. Possible bench cover but they've gone with another carrying 8. 

Date Posted: 04 February 2021 at 1:59pm
While I am consistently purveying doom about how unlikely Wales are to do well at this tournament, I found some hope for optimism.

Wales in 2004 finished 4th in the six nations, and then lost to both South Africa and New Zealand in the autumn.

Come 2005, no one was really expecting anything from a welsh team coached by unproven Mike Ruddock.

Wales were 10/1 for the 6N title, 7/1 for the Triple crown and 50/1 for the Grand Slam

But on the opening day of the 6 Nations, Wales scraped a 11-9 win against England after a late long range effort from a young Gavin Henson. 

From then on Wales came to be the first team to win a grand slam playing more games away from home - and playing some fine rugby in the process.. 

-------------

Date Posted: 04 February 2021 at 2:08pm
Word is that Foxy is carrying an injury so will not feature on Sunday. 

Date Posted: 04 February 2021 at 2:08pm
Out of interest Paddy Power have Wales this year at 12/1 for the title, 20/1 for the triple crown and 25/1 for the grand slam...

-------------

Posted By: Why
Date Posted: 04 February 2021 at 4:41pm
I fancy the jocks to give England a very tough game on Saturday and could even sneak a tight contest.  

-------------
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.

Date Posted: 04 February 2021 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

I fancy the jocks to give England a very tough game on Saturday and could even sneak a tight contest.  

I do, I rate the English front row individually but as a unit I think the Scottish one sneaks it. Bit game needed by the ever improving Ritchie at 6 & the ever reliable Watson at 7.

Date Posted: 06 February 2021 at 11:38am
I am really looking forward to the start of this tournament & having my faith in running rugby restored. What better place to start than with the French in Rome. A team that can keep Penaud on the bench must have something.

Date Posted: 06 February 2021 at 11:57am
i've got a feeling england may be going for a forwards approach as top tryscorer market for england has johnny may at evens followed by jamie george at 9/2

Date Posted: 06 February 2021 at 12:01pm

i've got a feeling england may be going for a forwards approach as top tryscorer market for england has johnny may at evens followed by jamie george at 9/2

Nothing new there then.

Date Posted: 06 February 2021 at 2:49pm

I am really looking forward to the start of this tournament & having my faith in running rugby restored. What better place to start than with the French in Rome. A team that can keep Penaud on the bench must have something.
The pass from Dupont for the third French try was truly sublime. Wonderful team to watch.

Date Posted: 06 February 2021 at 2:58pm
France look good italy having a go to

Date Posted: 06 February 2021 at 3:04pm
Varney looks a prospect.

The French 9 looks ok too!

Date Posted: 06 February 2021 at 3:16pm
flatman is dreadful.

Date Posted: 06 February 2021 at 3:23pm
Spare me a thought, I’ve got Dewi Morris.

Posted By: turkishrebel
Date Posted: 06 February 2021 at 3:29pm
Flatmans awful, just trying too many funny lines that are not working. France just look very comfortable, not got out of 2nd gear.
Italy trying and varney impressive but just not going anywhere 

-------------
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!

Posted By: SA14
Date Posted: 06 February 2021 at 3:34pm
I’m loving Alfie’s jewels on his shoes. 

Date Posted: 06 February 2021 at 3:49pm
Yet he can’t afford socksWinkWink

Date Posted: 06 February 2021 at 3:59pm
Italy unlucky to lose by 40 here , their 12 and 9 excellent. Thomas a menace with ball in hand

Date Posted: 06 February 2021 at 4:00pm

Spare me a thought, I’ve got Dewi Morris.
CryCry

Posted By: Grammar School Boy
Date Posted: 06 February 2021 at 4:05pm
Wales has a chance against Italy

Posted By: aber-fan
Date Posted: 06 February 2021 at 4:24pm
Italy tried hard, but France were different class.

That game confirmed what I thought two years ago - Dupont is the best scrum half I've seen since Saint Gareth Edwards! Teddy Thomas is a hard man to stop if given any space at all.

Ref got most things right, but did Italy no favours at the breakdown - early on, he penalised an Italian for 'dragging' at the jackal, then penalised Italy again for not releasing - at least twice - when the French forwards were also dragging! Lack of consistency and/or poor eyesight there, and also missed a blatant tackle off the ball on a supporting Italian 10m out - then France broke away. 

Not that these errors would have changed the result, but the score might have looked a bit more respectable.

-------------
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)

Date Posted: 06 February 2021 at 4:51pm
flatman was was heard letting the f bomb go when dupont was subbed

Posted By: SA14
Date Posted: 06 February 2021 at 5:00pm
It’s like watching the politically correct six nations. 

Date Posted: 06 February 2021 at 5:32pm
Great 35 minutes by Scotland

Date Posted: 06 February 2021 at 6:34pm

Great 80 minutes from Scotland. Comprehensively outplayed England (should’ve won by a lot more) and a wonderful game by them.
If they play anything like that next week I don’t think we have a hope of winning.

Date Posted: 06 February 2021 at 6:36pm
Great result for Scotland.

Posted By: Eastern outpost
Date Posted: 06 February 2021 at 6:47pm
How many journalist and expert commentators have had their England slam predictions founder today?

Great Scots!

-------------
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.

Posted By: roy munster
Date Posted: 06 February 2021 at 6:47pm
Outstanding from Scotland they pretty much controlled that game from beginning to end. Great to see them finally delivering. Fortress twickenham not so impregnable without the home crowd there intimidating referees lol

-------------
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)

Posted By: ap sior
Date Posted: 06 February 2021 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by Jones2004 Jones2004 wrote:

Great 80 minutes from Scotland. Comprehensively outplayed England (should’ve won by a lot more) and a wonderful game by them.
If they play anything like that next week I don’t think we have a hope of winning.

England were no threat at all. We may even beat them if they play like that! 

Date Posted: 06 February 2021 at 6:50pm
England’s performance actually really reminded me of the Scarlets’ performances this season, which is to say that a lack of discipline and accuracy resulted in an incredibly poor performance. However if they sort out those two things I still think they’re a good and dangerous team and they could still make a mark on this tournament, and perhaps even still win it.

Date Posted: 06 February 2021 at 6:51pm
imy mate from romford text yesterday and i said scotland would catch them cold and beat them.

Posted By: roy munster
Date Posted: 06 February 2021 at 6:58pm
Few of these players went in cold today which is never a good way to prepare. Another factor with no home crowds the home advantages are irrelevant this season which throws every game wide open. 
The decisive games look to be Ireland v france , france v scotland , scotland v ireland and france v england. If I had to bet Id go with france atm but scotland with the momentum of this win and if they beat wales next week could go on a roll like 1999

-------------
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)

Posted By: gaffer
Date Posted: 06 February 2021 at 7:20pm
Picking all those Saracens' players who haven't played a game was just arrogance -the idea that "we're so good we don't need games to prepare for ordinary mortals like Scotland".
Fat Billy's been on the pies again too.
Mix in the fact that England's half backs are really poor and you have the recipe for failure.
Mind you, I thought Russell was absolute pants for the whole game and Hogg was worse in the first half (he had a good second half though). How Watson or Johnny Gray were not MoM is beyond me.
They'll probably, stick 50 on Wales...England and Scotland...

-------------
What's going on?

Date Posted: 06 February 2021 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

I’m just glad we have France last because they would give us a right hiding atm.

I think France and England will top the table again (pts difference) but I’m kinda hoping it might be a tournament where everyone drops a game or two

I fancy Scotland against England for some reason

Bookies should come to this forum for insight

-------------

Date Posted: 07 February 2021 at 8:54am
Well I did wonder what not playing for two months would do - we now know - well off the pace. Ken, AWJ, Navidi you've been warned!!!!! Well done Scotland better team by a long way. Impressive debut by Redpath. 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net