Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PRO14 & CVC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2020 at 11:41pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

The £500k is a worst case scenario forecast. 

i don’t think itll be as low as £500k. But it won’t be anywhere near £8.5 million either so either the benefactors make up the shortfall or wages and jobs will have to be cut
Who are the Dragons' benefactors I wonder?
We're still still here!
Sponsored Links

Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2020 at 6:19am

That statement leads me to think there is a worrying degree of truth in that times report, the journo who wrote it is very well connected

There is a degree of truth, of course, but it's a nuclear degree.
It's more of a story about the demise of the sport through funding than a likely outcome though. There are far too many stakeholders to see that outcome come to reality.

scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2020 at 7:57am

i don’t think itll be as low as £500k. But it won’t be anywhere near £8.5 million either so either the benefactors make up the shortfall or wages and jobs will have to be cut
WRU
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2020 at 8:07am
Originally posted by Mugwuffin Mugwuffin wrote:

Originally posted by Jones2004 Jones2004 wrote:

The WRPA have released a strong statement. What do people make of it?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/52866852
It’s quite a strange statement, IMO. I’m not sure what they wanted to achieve by making it. 

What changes do they want?
"We're thrown to the wolves in the minds of our enemies." - unknown philosopher.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2020 at 9:06am
Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

It’s quite a strange statement, IMO. I’m not sure what they wanted to achieve by making it. 

Yes I thought it was odd and unclear. It looks like they want greater consultation in planning what happens next. I assume/hope  that those thoughts will be  more clearly  expressed though in meetings as it’s a pretty waffling statement tbh and reminds me of the AWJ statement about the Ospreys which I found obtuse at the time. 
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2020 at 9:25am
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Yes I thought it was odd and unclear. It looks like they want greater consultation in planning what happens next. I assume/hope  that those thoughts will be  more clearly  expressed though in meetings as it’s a pretty waffling statement tbh and reminds me of the AWJ statement about the Ospreys which I found obtuse at the time. 

Players will understandably be very concerned for their futures. It sounds to me that they, like me, have very little faith in the current WRU management to get us through this crisis. Perhaps the WRU hierarchy should consider a magnanimous gesture such as combining the role of Chairman with that of CEO & replacing both Phillips & Gareth Davies with a top level individual with some previous large event experience. 
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2020 at 9:49am
I read that as a dig against the regions as much as the WRU, in fact the only positive bit really is that they support the WRU around the proposal of a global game.
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2020 at 9:59am
Originally posted by Gate12 Gate12 wrote:

I read that as a dig against the regions as much as the WRU, in fact the only positive bit really is that they support the WRU around the proposal of a global game.

It's a bit odd given how the regions are the employers of the very people making the statement.
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2020 at 10:03am
It's a bit of an odd statement for me, not sure what they're trying to achieve.
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2020 at 10:05am
The WRPA is really a version of a trade union, and like all trade unions, good & bad, want to say something.

I feel the players are quite right in worrying, regardless who is on the helm, but I think they feel like a lot of us that rugby needs a change of direction, and the new proposals from World Rugby are a good starter for 10, and I totally agree with them,for what its worth.
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2020 at 10:17am
Originally posted by Dai38 Dai38 wrote:

The WRPA is really a version of a trade union, and like all trade unions, good & bad, want to say something.

I feel the players are quite right in worrying, regardless who is on the helm, but I think they feel like a lot of us that rugby needs a change of direction, and the new proposals from World Rugby are a good starter for 10, and I totally agree with them,for what its worth.

Fine, but what changes do they want?
"We're thrown to the wolves in the minds of our enemies." - unknown philosopher.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2020 at 11:17am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Players will understandably be very concerned for their futures. It sounds to me that they, like me, have very little faith in the current WRU management to get us through this crisis. Perhaps the WRU hierarchy should consider a magnanimous gesture such as combining the role of Chairman with that of CEO & replacing both Phillips & Gareth Davies with a top level individual with some previous large event experience. 

This sounds like the start of your Dominic Cummings for CEO campaign !!! 🤔😂😂
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2020 at 11:26am
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

WRU
Well yes, it was a rhetorical question. My next question would be to ask if that will lead to a legal challenge by the independent teams due to the unequal financial subsidy 
We're still still here!
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2020 at 11:30am
If I was a player I would be most concerned about

1) Personal safety
2) Income
3) Job Security
4) Workload

I'm guessing they want a say in all of the above

The closure of the celtic warriors and then the shambolic will they won't they merger during the 2019  6 nations must play on their minds

On the other hand their employers are looking at losing a fortune due to no live gates, no match day revenue and most of all no tv  revenue as they have product to air

It's a really tough situation for everyone clearly no one wants to take a pay cut and I have no doubt the players are tied into financial commitments based on their agreed current contracts

On the other hand the businesses that employ them have seen their cash flow all but stopped completely and simply can no longer afford to pay those contracts they had agreed previously

I can see this from both sides , hopefully something can be resolved but it's hard to see a settlement that pleases everyone.

One thing is for sure come renewal of players contracts for the first time since the game went pro they are going to be offered less not more money

Edited by RR1972 - 02 June 2020 at 11:32am
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2020 at 11:39am

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

This sounds like the start of your Dominic Cummings for CEO campaign !!! 🤔😂😂

Now there's a thought ReesyWink
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2020 at 12:16pm
Nah... think of the travel expenses Dom will demand for his commute to and from his Durham home. But there's a new sign up outside the Malsters in Llandaf showing -       Durham 301 miles.    However Caerffili Castle is a little closer for his eye tests.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic