Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Racing 92 and Stade to Merge!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2017 at 11:40am
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

Originally posted by surfing-mtber surfing-mtber wrote:

Things not going well financially for the big spending French clubs then?

That's a bit of a sweeping statement.

Richard Poole Jones (the English coach of Stade) said yesterday that the merger was motivated by a need to find a "financially viable model" because both clubs have generated "significant losses for ever". Apart from a few clubs- Toulon , Toulouse and Clermont perhaps, the French model is as ropey as ours.  
Sponsored Links

KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2017 at 11:53am
Originally posted by John John wrote:

Richard Poole Jones (the English coach of Stade) said yesterday that the merger was motivated by a need to find a "financially viable model" because both clubs have generated "significant losses for ever". Apart from a few clubs- Toulon , Toulouse and Clermont perhaps, the French model is as ropey as ours.  

Of course. Because it's exactly the same model. It's only 'ropey' if there is nobody putting money into it.

It's the same model that works at the top end of practically every single professional team sport in the world.
dantheman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dantheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2017 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by Dai38 Dai38 wrote:

Where has the money come from all of a sudden?

Even their back up players are out of our league, sad but true.

I'm not sure the point is for us to go out and recruit first team players from Stade or Racing. However it effectively increases the supply of available rugby players by approximately 45. If a Stade player now signs for say Grenoble then a Grenoble player becomes available and so on.

It looks like Super Rugby is going to cull 2 teams also which adds even more supply of players to the market.

All of a sudden the recruitment market has loosened up a bit.... Lots of teams will have already finalised their rosters for next season so hopefully teams like us can pick up a few bargains.
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2017 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by M.M. M.M. wrote:

90 players to be halved into 45 by the coaches. The predicted fanbase of the team is 22k. It's basically Racing taking over Stade Francais but pretending it's a merger.

Local gov't in Paris not happy about this at all. They helped greatly with SF's renovation of Stade Jean Bouin a couple of years ago and now the "merged" team are going to play in Racing's brand new stadium in Nanterre sometime around September next. 

SF supporters must be gutted.
New stadium just around the corner from our head offices, must schedule a work visit Smile
On a more sobering note, for SF fans being gutted how would we feel if it was the Ospreys and us Ouch
Pro 12 Champions 2017
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2017 at 4:42pm
I would not go for any of them, all none Welsh &would cost far too much.

I only asked a question.
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2017 at 5:16pm

Of course. Because it's exactly the same model. It's only 'ropey' if there is nobody putting money into it.

It's the same model that works at the top end of practically every single professional team sport in the world.

Racing are 8th in the top-14, and Stade are 11th... I don't know for certain, but I suspect that the crowds might be fairly fickle in Paris - it's not a traditional rugby stronghold.

Plus, of course, the clubs must run at a loss with the moneybags filling the hole in the budget - as you say, a common situation in top sport. But businessmen rarely love sport enough to keep on doing this indefinitely, and some pull a fast one by (for example) giving loans, then winding up clubs and selling the grounds (I'm thinking football here - not sure if it's been done in rugby.) So - best to know who your backers are, and what their priorities might be.
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
s.pimpernel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
A.F.K.A.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s.pimpernel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2017 at 9:37am

I posted this when we were talking about Saracens debt

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-3588240/Top-14-clubs-sign-new-mammoth-388-million-broadcast-deal-gap-widens-Premiership-Pro12.html

How the heck can they financial model be "ropey" when they have that sort of money sloshing around?

Clearly their wages structure is unsustainable or there is huge fraud being undertaken. If French rugby can`t survive on that sort of money then it deserves to fail.
In Pivac we trust
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2017 at 1:57pm
That sort of money though when split between the 14 clubs more less just wipes out the wage bill. How much money do they make on merchandise/Bar takings/chief exec wages/Stadium Maintenece...
Stade have had money issues not that long ago when they had to release a lot of big earners.

Biarritz nearly merged with a side not so long ago as they were struggling financially.

I'm not expecting this merger to go through with all the protests. But I wouldn't be surprised if maybe regional rugby will start soon in France.
The big money spenders can't go on forever, and maybe this is the beginning of business men looking at a way to have sustainable clubs.
If the French had a reasonable wage cap then this would do wonders not only for the clubs but European rugby as well imo.
najbritcol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote najbritcol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2017 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

That sort of money though when split between the 14 clubs more less just wipes out the wage bill. How much money do they make on merchandise/Bar takings/chief exec wages/Stadium Maintenece...
Stade have had money issues not that long ago when they had to release a lot of big earners.

Biarritz nearly merged with a side not so long ago as they were struggling financially.

I'm not expecting this merger to go through with all the protests. But I wouldn't be surprised if maybe regional rugby will start soon in France.
The big money spenders can't go on forever, and maybe this is the beginning of business men looking at a way to have sustainable clubs.
If the French had a reasonable wage cap then this would do wonders not only for the clubs but European rugby as well imo.

The merger is off now:
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/more-french-rugby-farce-controversial-12764126
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2017 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

The French wage cap is more or less the same as the English wage cap.

Why on earth should french and english rugby be punished just because the celts and italians can't produce a decent enough league that makes revenue?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic